1 4 6 8 11
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 09:59 AM CST
Heh, good to have you back, Simon.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 10:04 AM CST
I get one of the messages (forget which), I think it's location when I do horizontal lines on my face.

Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 10:33 AM CST
<I have not been able to get those two messagings of the warpaint pattern/location fires me with confidence at the same time, however.>

apply paint
The warpaint pattern fires you with confidence!
The warpaint location fires you with confidence!
You smear your face with warpaint.
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 11:15 AM CST
<<The warpaint pattern fires you with confidence!>>
<<The warpaint location fires you with confidence!>>
<<You smear your face with warpaint.>>

Congrats! Does it usually give you those at the same time when you've tried to duplicate it?

<<Vinjince>>

Thanks for the well wishes, Vinjince. Good to be back. What are everyone's thoughts on the suggestions about more messaging with the warpaint system?

This in particular: more messaging about the boost/penalty we get along with messaging when we can use our active boost again to get the full effect/duration of it.

- Simon
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 11:40 AM CST
>What are everyone's thoughts on the suggestions about more messaging with the warpaint system?

>This in particular: more messaging about the boost/penalty we get along with messaging when we can use our active boost again to get the full effect/duration of it.

Less mystery and less PAFO is a good thing.
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 12:09 PM CST
<Congrats! Does it usually give you those at the same time when you've tried to duplicate it?>

I rarely use warpaint. They just collect dust in my vault. But I did run a quick test to see if I could duplicate the messaging.

These were my results,
4 No messaging
5 location message
1 pattern message
0 both messages

Apparently I was very lucky the first.
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 12:22 PM CST
<<Apparently I was very lucky the first.>>

Yeah, it seems like it's just random with the effects every now and than with the way the system is set up.

For the 5 times you had found the location to best inspire your effects, where were they?

- Simon
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 12:26 PM CST
WB Simon

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 12:38 PM CST
Thx chica ;)

- Simon
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 12:46 PM CST
<For the 5 times you had found the location to best inspire your effects, where were they?>

Same location, Face. I was under the impression you only have one special location and one pattern. So I repeated the location/pattern that I know works for me.
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 12:57 PM CST
Just making sure. It should be just one spot and location for each character.

Thanks.

- Simon
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 05:44 PM CST
On the spot/location/pattern thing, I assume it's one of the 48 patterns on one of the 9 different possible locations. I'm sure some of you math types have already done the permutation, but it's beyond my remembering. Needless to say it sure sounds like a very big number.

My question is, do we get the "inspirational" messaging from all types of warpaint? Because figuring out my correct location/pattern combo could get very costly using my current stash of plunderer quality paintsticks.
Re: Warpaint 12/23/2008 09:04 PM CST
Warpaint is another one of those things that has more odd variables than I am thrilled with in it.

That said, it's not broken and not really a priority as of right now. Good news is, it also won't be changed by the stuff I'm working on right now, so if/when I get to it, it will be easier to work with than the rest of out stuff.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Warpaint 12/24/2008 01:28 AM CST
Well, that's good to hear.

- Simon
Re: Warpaint 12/30/2008 08:49 AM CST
So right now there is 48 patterns with 10 locations, and 4 types of paint and each person has there own unique spot\pattern combo that works for them the best,

>>But I did run a quick test to see if I could duplicate the messaging.

These were my results,
4 No messaging
5 location message
1 pattern message
0 both messages
<<

but you only get the message randomly which appears to be < 50%?

So 48 patterns, 10 locations, and 4 types, that you may or may not have to try 5-10 times?

wow, I was really going to try and help you too Simon lol.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Warpaint 01/11/2009 03:51 PM CST
My initial guess is that although there are 48 patterns, only a few of them are substantial for every Barbarian. And from those that are substantial patterns, they have the option to be your sweet spot (location/pattern that best inspires you).

As was mentioned in this thread, there's a lot of variables. The variables aren't necessarily the issue, but the randomness which can be a slight annoyance when looking at the entire system.

- Simon
Re: Warpaint 01/15/2009 10:49 AM CST
Isn't warpaint supposed to give a boost to charisma? I got a - mark after I applied my paint.

Here's what I did:

paint: Yellow Cylinder
design: claw marks

>apply paint
You smear your face with warpaint.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Charisma : XX -

Did I do something wrong?

Re: Warpaint 01/15/2009 11:28 AM CST
I remember a post from Aurdun saying there is always a chance of warpaint having a negative affect, especially if you apply it to yourself.

Re: Warpaint 01/15/2009 01:20 PM CST
>I remember a post from Aurdun saying there is always a chance of warpaint having a negative affect, especially if you apply it to yourself.

Yeah. It's... special...

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: Warpaint 01/15/2009 01:39 PM CST
>Yeah. It's... special...

For such a simple guild, Barbarians are quite complicated, aren't we?

Re: Warpaint 01/15/2009 03:46 PM CST
Painted yourself yellow... I dunnoe fitting, maybe just a little? I tease!

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Warpaint 01/15/2009 08:38 PM CST
Git outta my forums, ya ornery Dwarb! {g} I usually save my yellow sticks for use with my dead mage stamp.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Warpaint 01/16/2009 12:02 PM CST
Hey I was testing something ya punchin bags!

Re: Warpaint 01/16/2009 12:05 PM CST
It seems pretty random from what I observed while trying to find my ideal pattern and location.

Sometimes there is no effect, sometimes it boosts charisma, sometimes it's negative. It doesn't seem to be linked to the pattern or location.

-Gavyn
Re: Warpaint 01/16/2009 10:06 PM CST
>>For such a simple guild, Barbarians are quite complicated, aren't we?

The worst part is being so ignorant of our own complicated abilities.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Warpaint 01/16/2009 10:44 PM CST
Iayn did mention that the warpaint system is random at times. So that would be a possibility.

I wish the system could be a LOT more consistent and the boost and duration of the boost to discipline and charisma for Barbarians would be more substanstial when using MEDITATE and STARE.

SCREAM is okay the way it is and CONCENTRATE could use more duration, as well.

- Simon
Re: Warpaint 01/17/2009 04:53 AM CST
I believe our capable GM said something about uncomplicating Barb abilities. Particularly warpaint\berserks.

Re: Warpaint 01/17/2009 10:16 AM CST
It'd be nice if we could choose the location/color/pattern/whatever that's most effective for our barb... even if it's a one-time deal, it's better than random.

Pillow versus pillow: Crazy Awsome.
Re: Warpaint 01/17/2009 01:14 PM CST
>>It'd be nice if we could choose the location/color/pattern/whatever that's most effective for our barb... even if it's a one-time deal, it's better than random.

thats a good idea because i would rather pick my location and pattern that fits my barb instead of walking around with just what i "have" to use because it works better

Re: Warpaint 01/17/2009 01:32 PM CST
Location doesn't affect the mod, so apply your paint wherever you want.

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: Warpaint 01/17/2009 01:58 PM CST
wherever? ^_^

Re: Warpaint 01/17/2009 04:31 PM CST
>Location doesn't affect the mod, so apply your paint wherever you want.

So that messaging is purely fluff?

The warpaint location fires you with confidence... or whatever the exact messaging is.

Re: Warpaint 01/18/2009 10:51 AM CST
>>Location doesn't affect the mod, so apply your paint wherever you want.

>>So that messaging is purely fluff?

>>The warpaint location fires you with confidence... or whatever the exact messaging is.

I think what he's saying is that only the pattern matters, and not the location.

Where to buy Warpaint? 04/02/2009 05:03 PM CDT
Where can warpaint be purchased?
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/02/2009 06:01 PM CDT
You can't. Osgeth hasn't been around for ages.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/02/2009 06:04 PM CDT
was available at the last fest if yer around crossing iv got one i can give you.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/03/2009 01:44 PM CDT
What a shame they add stuff to the game and they don't follow up on it, to keep it around!

Robkin

And Naissura, yes I love to get some warpaint, will even pay you for it. Thankz
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 01:32 AM CDT
i bet whenever the creation systems come out with the mech split you'll be able to make it

--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 08:34 AM CDT
I bet you won't.

I bet that this is like roar helms in that it's supposed to be one of those things that is rare (though not nearly as rare as roar helms) and also something we're not supposed to have to rely on.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 08:46 AM CDT
>>I bet that this is like roar helms in that it's supposed to be one of those things that is rare (though not nearly as rare as roar helms) and also something we're not supposed to have to rely on.

Relying on it would be a very bad idea, I agree.

I think the best model for warpaint would be constellation jewelry. It should be expensive to create/use, have a very finite number of invokes per stick, involve roundtime, etc.

The only thing that really annoys me about warpaint (besides its rarity) is that it decays even when you don't invoke it, whereas CJs can be worn indefinitely and used only when wanted.

I think the biggest reason this annoys me is because I think the idea of warpaint (not the skill boosts, the design of it) is the coolest Barbarian thing since sliced bread, and I'd love to make it a very fundamental part of my character's guild culture (i.e. wearing it 24/7). I'd love a purely cosmetic version of warpaint that "lasts" forever, or until death, or whatever.
1 4 6 8 11