Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 08:46 AM CST
>SCREAM and STARE both seem to be charisma bonuses, which makes me wonder what the four different effects are.

Now this is odd cause I just used Scream and now I'm showing a negative bonus on my barb in TF

Your birthday is more than a month away.
Strength : xx Reflex : xx
Agility : xx Charisma : xx -
Discipline : xx Wisdom : xx
Intelligence : xx Stamina : xx
Favors: 43

Not dancing or berserking. Ive pretty much been isolated from anyone for 2 days so no outside influence and i havent hunted/died in that time as well and the only thing i can think of thats out of place was i got a disturbing the peace charge after I screamed and roared shriek in swains (Ratha) ....

Ohh and its been 45 mins and I'm still showing a negative....

PS someone explain to me how i managed to kill a dozen swains with a single roar yet I couldnt nail the commoner passerby !!!!

Denz

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. - Drevid
Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 08:49 AM CST
PS it finally went away after i trained a point in Strength

Denz

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. - Drevid
Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 08:55 AM CST
I tried to replicate it with the same scenario .... kileld the swains got charged but this time i didnt show a bonus possitive or negative ?

Denz

Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 10:10 AM CST
I thought SCREAM increased Intimidation and STARE increased Charisma.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 10:40 AM CST
>>I thought SCREAM increased Intimidation and STARE increased Charisma.

I thought so too, but INFO is showing some very weird results.
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 02:30 PM CST
Charisma : 21
>apply paint

You smear your face with warpaint.
Charisma : 21 +
>med war

You focus your mind on your warpaint, girding yourself with it like armor.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Charisma : 21 +
Discipline : 25 +

I was using Plunderer warpaint, combined sticks of ruby and green paint, and painting horizontal lines on my face.

SEND[Lirrak] I've got permaconsent on you and Im gonna find you now
Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 03:09 PM CST
<<You smear your face with warpaint.
Charisma : 21 +>>

So just having the paint on gives a charisma boost?
Re: Warpaint Functions 01/28/2008 03:09 PM CST
That would be correct.
___
~Ternith Sjomah

Ternith says, "Serzyn."
Serzyn glances at Ternith.
Serzyn says, "Well, at least someone here knows who I am."
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 12:04 AM CST
Now don't quote me on this, but as I recall, Iayn made some hints about how not all places/colors/patterns were exactly the same. In fact, I SEEM to recall him saying that war paint in some situations might hurt you overall.

Bah, too lazy to look up the relevant posts.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 08:53 AM CST
>In fact, I SEEM to recall him saying that war paint in some situations might hurt you overall.

Like a clown invasion?
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 09:55 AM CST
Speaking of something hurting you, last night I applied my warpaint during an invasion. Its an altered set with the 60 second roundtime. After application I ended up with a negative toward charisma. I checked and there was no message indicating that I'd applied it poorly or whatever and thought that it could be something new. No such thing. Could this be looked at?

___
~Ternith Sjomah

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 12:46 PM CST
It's on tonight's To Do List, Ternith. Can't make any promises, but I'll look at it.

~Aurdun
Barbarian Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 01:51 PM CST
Someone in TF had that happen too with normal warpaint.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 02:12 PM CST
I think we're the only guild who actually gets negative effects from our abilities.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 02:39 PM CST
Moon Mages have at least 1 spell that negatively affects their perception.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 02:58 PM CST
>Moon Mages have at least 1 spell that negatively affects their perception.

Nah, that was removed months ago.

Trader speculate was giving a charisma penalty too, but that got fixed, at least in TF.

And this is why I think PAFO needs to be a banned phrase.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 03:02 PM CST
>Nah, that was removed months ago.

Was it? Shows how often I play my MM.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 03:04 PM CST
Like I said, I'll look into it tonight. I may need to snag those of you who are having issues for moment or two if you're around.

~Aurdun
Barbarian Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 03:55 PM CST
I noticed a negative effect from warpaint on Guaranzo once too. I'll see if I can find what the pattern was in my logs, or if not, I'm sure it was one of the designs I've got set on a paintstick already.

Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 04:06 PM CST
I am available though I may be unable to duplicate the problem.
Prime: Malkien
Prime: (Necromancer Bob- coming to DR in '08!)
TF: Ganymede
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 06:40 PM CST
Just shout out, I'll be around.

___
~Ternith Sjomah

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 08:43 PM CST
After speaking with Aurdun on the war paint and him going to do some looking into the problem (it seemed from what you said Aurdun and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong) that the specialized warpaint that some of us got is in fact intended in specific circumstances to deliver a negative charisma modifier associated with its use.

I'm still unsure as to why this would happen or the circumstances that would lead to it occurring and I was told that information as to exactly why would not be forth coming, though I'll admit after thinking about it that PAFO and the barbarian guild is getting completely out of hand.

I am unsure as to if this is happening with regular warpaint or and would be interested in anyone that's had a like experience with a charisma drop post up what they were doing when it happened.

In my case I was dancing dragon, stopped, started up cobra, and then applied the paint. No messaging showing that something had gone wrong was visible, which I'll go ahead and state for the record if there is gonna be a "You've screwed up result" that something be put into the messaging that we are at least aware of it.

___
~Ternith Sjomah

Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 11:02 PM CST
Ternith steadily applies his warpaint to his face and neck.

I looked it up from last night.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 11:05 PM CST
>No messaging showing that something had gone wrong was visible, which I'll go ahead and state for the record if there is gonna be a "You've screwed up result" that something be put into the messaging that we are at least aware of it.

Agreed 100%.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/06/2008 11:29 PM CST
One more thing of note is a bit of a reminder: the effects of warpaint are going to be better if someone else applies it to you than if you apply it to yourself.

~Aurdun
Barbarian Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 12:19 AM CST
Why is that? It challenges my notion of warpaint.. I would think me painting broad swathes of paint on my face and gearing up for battle, would be better then some other barb drawing a black widow on my face with pink paint.

Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 12:34 AM CST
In all the old Western movies I've seen where the indians are getting painted up for battle, there's always some old warrior doing the painting. I imagine that's the general effect they're going for.

Good to know that warpaint effects can depend on the skill of who's applying it, though. I was wondering about that.

Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 01:17 AM CST
Some of us even have a War Painter title..
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 04:35 AM CST
<<One more thing of note is a bit of a reminder: the effects of warpaint are going to be better if someone else applies it to you than if you apply it to yourself.

Any chance of getting a bonus to applying it to yourself if you have custom paints?

Drevid

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 05:45 AM CST
>>Any chance of getting a bonus to applying it to yourself if you have custom paints?

Why? Are you using a compact to make sure you put your makeup on properly?

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 06:01 AM CST
I think they fear someone running off with their makeup.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 06:32 AM CST
>>Why? Are you using a compact to make sure you put your makeup on properly?

Wow, that was a really obnoxious reply.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 06:56 AM CST
<<Wow, that was a really obnoxious reply.>>

Although very accurate when considering what is needed to apply war paint on yourself, would need to have a mirror of some sort to get the design right.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 07:01 AM CST
<<Wow, that was a really obnoxious reply.>>

Bah, I thought it was funny. :)

-Ssra

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 07:27 AM CST
>>Although very accurate when considering what is needed to apply war paint on yourself, would need to have a mirror of some sort to get the design right.

No I don't think it was accurate. For one, there are mirors in this game. Secondly, if I really have trouble applying anything to myself I can always use one of those sharp, shiny blades I carry with me.

Barbarians, by the very nature of BMR are pretty much solitary hunters. Why shouldn't the regular buff work when we apply it ourselves?

The makeup part was just a cheap shot.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 07:30 AM CST
<<Why? Are you using a compact to make sure you put your makeup on properly?

I don't know... because we are special? Yeah there is a compact in it. Heh does everything in game need to make sense?

Drevid

Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 07:42 AM CST
<<Barbarians, by the very nature of BMR are pretty much solitary hunters. Why shouldn't the regular buff work when we apply it ourselves?>>

I don't think BMR is what make barbs solitary hunters. They still can have another barb apply it or a thief. Actaully i've hunted with a few barbarians with my primary, and my barbarain often hunts with a few other people. Besides the application of warpaint is done outside of combat, or at least it really doesn't make sense to be in the middle of combat applying warpaint.

I think self applying with a mirror and a bit extra RT doing it yourself would make sense. Just working because we are solitary hunters and can use a blade (depending on use and compositon) may or may not be shiny.

Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 08:20 AM CST
>>Wow, that was a really obnoxious reply.

I'm sorry you felt that way. I was simply trying to humorously point out the difficulties in applying a semi-solid substance to ones own face when they cannot see what they are doing. Even in a mirror it can be difficult and take a great deal of practice to get the lines right I would imagine. Keep in mind that often the design one might be going for isn't simplistic but rather a deliberate image intended to evoke a specific reaction. This is easier for someone else to do for you than to attempt to do yourself, mirror or no mirror.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 08:26 AM CST
>>I'm sorry you felt that way. I was simply trying to humorously point out the difficulties in applying a semi-solid substance to ones own face when they cannot see what they are doing. Even in a mirror it can be difficult and take a great deal of practice to get the lines right I would imagine. Keep in mind that often the design one might be going for isn't simplistic but rather a deliberate image intended to evoke a specific reaction. This is easier for someone else to do for you than to attempt to do yourself, mirror or no mirror.

I see women doing it everyday while driving to work on the highway doing 50 mph while holding a "starschmucks*" coffee in the other hand.... how difficult can it be?

*50 bonus points for those that now that referance

If you want to be okay with a weapon and use a bunch of magic too, be a Warrior Mage. If you want to own the world with your you weapon and take a good deal of what the world throws at you while laughing in the face of magic, be a Barbarian.
Re: Warpaint Functions 02/07/2008 08:33 AM CST
In all honesty I think there are already enough penalties applied to paint and it shouldnt require anyone else to gain maximum potential. Here's a breakdown Warpaint has limited usage, downtime, Rt to apply and use it, it wears off with inactivity and then theres the cost, supply/demand (ie not like the merchant is a permanent fixture)

While I dont want to GvG this other magic boosters require alot less effort IMHO.
PSA. (I used this example because it has the closest semblence to paint)