Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 05:48 PM CDT
>>He (she?) was discussing thematic limitations on what spells can achieve, not restrictions on the use of spells.

I would call moon magic spells failling due to lack of a moon a thematic limitaion on what the sepll can achieve. I cannot, for instance, create a shield of moonlight, if there is no moon!

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 05:53 PM CDT
> I would call moon magic spells failling due to lack of a moon a thematic limitaion on what the sepll can achieve.

Because you're twisting the term to describe what it wasn't meant to. There is a difference between the restrictions on a spell's use and the effect which a spell can achieve under appropriate circumstances. This is an attempt to discuss the latter, not the former.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 06:04 PM CDT
> There is a difference between the restrictions on a spell's use and the effect which a spell can achieve under appropriate circumstances.

Let me add that you could make the argument that weakness in one of these areas can make up for strength in another: some guilds have more restrictions the effects they can achieve, other guilds have more restrictions on the use of their spells, and there's nothing wrong with this state of affairs. In fact, this is an argument I agree with. But you should recognize that these are two different forms of limitations.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 06:18 PM CDT
>I cannot, for instance, create a shield of moonlight, if there is no moon!

The point would be if you couldn't create a shield out of moonlight because moonlight doesn't create shields.

Except of course it does.

But I don't think it's a point to be concerned about. Warrior Mages directly manipulate physical reality. How cool is that? I don't see why a mental buff is outside the realm of say, Electricity Manipulation ... after all your brains run on the stuff. But why would War Magic be concerned with something that complicated?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 06:47 PM CDT
I'm waiting to see how long that quote will continue to get thrown around to generate hysteria absent of the line that immediately followed it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 06:56 PM CDT
>>I'm waiting to see how long that quote will continue to get thrown around to generate hysteria absent of the line that immediately followed it.<<

I lost track of whatever quote you're referencing. =(
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 07:00 PM CDT
> I lost track of whatever quote you're referencing. =(

WM spells are restricted to physical manifestations of the elements. Except Hylomorphic Sorcery, which isn't.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 09:32 PM CDT
>I'm waiting to see how long that quote will continue to get thrown around to generate hysteria absent of the line that immediately followed it.

Armifer, I didn't mean to generate hysteria, nor am I afflicted with it. I'm just trying to have a discussion on the system for Magic 3.0. If WM magic is limited to physical manifestations, OK. Frankly, I'm fine with what ever the system is/will be. I play a not-so-traditional WM anyway and I'm looking forward to seeing if I can make my character theme work within the new system (it sure would make it easier for me to predict if I knew the stats that will be involved in the TM contest though).

But, it does strike me as odd that within the new even-stephen flavor of how magic is going, that WM spell design has a rather unique limitation not found within the other magic types (absent sorcery).

Maybe its that the limitations are moved from the front-end to the back-end of spell design, maybe there are limitations already in place, I don't know. It won't really make a difference to me one way or another, I'll still be playing a WM because that's what I like.

But surely you can see the problem. If WMs can't buff the stats involved in TM or their contested spells, there is the perception of a significant limitation.

If you feel that this is evened out by other strengths, fine just say so. I trust that you and Z are doing your best to make the new system great and fair for everyone.

OK, that's all I have to say about that.

(for clarity below is the more complete quote from Armifer).

>Elemental spells conjuring something physical (within Elanthia's loose definition of physics) without delving into symbolic or mystic-minded effects. In that model, it's very hard to conceive of a conventional Warrior Mage mental buff.

>Chances are that sort of thing will need to wait for Hylomorphic Sorcery, which is when the elements let their hair down and start doing freaky things.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 11:43 PM CDT
>I'm waiting to see how long that quote will continue to get thrown around to generate hysteria absent of the line that immediately followed it.

That makes not practicing sorcery sound analogous to being a shocked Empath.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2010 11:57 PM CDT
>>That makes not practicing sorcery sound analogous to being a shocked Empath.

Because your gameplay is wholly dependent on gaining access to a stat buff you never had to begin with?

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 02:24 AM CDT
Yes. 100% reliant.

/sarcasm

"The Necromancers are outcasts and not the funny "shade and water" kind."
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 05:37 AM CDT
As a side note, while you are making all these changes, do you want to make it so warmies can perma learn incinerate? "Burn Baby Burn....."

I'm also interested to know which one of our spells is currently 40% more powerful than any others, is it stone strike? ;o)
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 06:14 AM CDT
>>Because your gameplay is wholly dependent on gaining access to a stat buff you never had to begin with?<<

Boosting mentals just seems like a natural thing for any magic using guild to be able to do.

If all magic has to run through the same four stats to determine success and power and the WM experience is primarily about magic it seems almost required that they be able to buff some or all of those stats. To not have mental buffs as a magic user seems the same to me as to not have hiding buffs as a Thief. Whether Elemental magic is thematically tractable in the right ways seems secondary to me.

I don't really care if the delivery system is Sorcery or something else. It just seems like a key capability to me.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 07:09 AM CDT
>>Mantle of Flame:
>>An esoteric Fire Augmentation spell. It fuses the caster into a form of flames, granting them increased Agility as well as better prowess in melee combat. As a side effect, it also produces light. This spell is an Elemental Transformation spell, only one of which can be active at a time (but it's not Cyclic, separate things).

Just a suggestion, since i'm assuming that hiding while engulfed in flames will still be almost impossible would it make sense to add in a perception boost as well to compensate?

Not sure what prowess in melee entails but seems like most other buff spells include one skill boost and one stat boost. Before you ask i'd give up another spell slot for a perception boost in a heartbeat.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:16 AM CDT
>Just a suggestion, since i'm assuming that hiding while engulfed in flames will still be almost impossible would it make sense to add in a perception boost as well to compensate?

Mord, given that earth sense is not going to be a straight perception buff, I think its safe to say that WMs won't be getting a perception buff (without sorcery) - save those CV runes. If there is a penalty to hiding and there is compensation for that, my guess is that its in the strength of the stated buffs. Or potentially compensated for in the spell slot cost, e.g. agility buff and melee buff costs three, subtract one for the hiding debuff, gives the spell a two slot cost.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:30 AM CDT
>>Mord, given that earth sense is not going to be a straight perception buff, I think its safe to say that WMs won't be getting a perception buff (without sorcery) - save those CV runes. If there is a penalty to hiding and there is compensation for that, my guess is that its in the strength of the stated buffs. Or potentially compensated for in the spell slot cost, e.g. agility buff and melee buff costs three, subtract one for the hiding debuff, gives the spell a two slot cost.

I'm just thinking about what situation would i ever use this MAF. Is the agility bonus worth no hiding? No, not by a long shot.

How practical is it in training if you can't remove the mantle of flames by shockwaving it? Not very unless you have resolved yourself to not training stealths.

I guess that could be the forced diversification we're facing and that spell would just not be something a stealth WM would get.

It's just kinda lame that our best buff combo of SW/SUF has lost the agility bonus and we've gained nothing in return by moving that bonus to MAF.

It would make more sense to keep agility on SUF, remove the parry bonus from SUF and give that to MAF since the melee boost and parry boost seem perfect for each other.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:37 AM CDT
>>How practical is it in training if you can't remove the mantle of flames by shockwaving it? Not very unless you have resolved yourself to not training stealths.

I don't agree or disagree with the other points, but its been stated a few times we're all getting a spell to remove our own buffs at will. Won't need to shockwave it off at that point.

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:43 AM CDT
>>I don't agree or disagree with the other points, but its been stated a few times we're all getting a spell to remove our own buffs at will. Won't need to shockwave it off at that point.

Not a spell, we're getting a pathway to do it. Since we don't know how all that will work i guess i shouldn't speculate on it. I would imagine not being able to use different pathways at will.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:47 AM CDT
>>Not a spell, we're getting a pathway to do it. Since we don't know how all that will work i guess i shouldn't speculate on it. I would imagine not being able to use different pathways at will.

AP - Analogous Pattern, not a pathway, as then all guilds wouldn't have access to it.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:48 AM CDT
>>#6) I have some nifty ideas for Pathways but we're not talking about them yet either
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:49 AM CDT
I'm rather confident we're getting an Analogous Pattern spell that removes our own spells, not a Pathway thingy. I'm hoping that PAthways work out to be something that add some hefty flare to the Warrior Mage toolbox, its certainly a place for some neat stuff for you guys.

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:52 AM CDT
Alright then I stand corrected.

However the point still stands. Planned MAF sucks.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:53 AM CDT
Why does MAF suck? I thought it wasn't changing?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:57 AM CDT
>>Why does MAF suck? I thought it wasn't changing?

>>Mantle of Flame:
An esoteric Fire Augmentation spell. It fuses the caster into a form of flames, granting them increased Agility as well as better prowess in melee combat. As a side effect, it also produces light. This spell is an Elemental Transformation spell, only one of which can be active at a time (but it's not Cyclic, separate things).

It's picking up the agility boost from SUF. I dont think that makes it "suck" exactly, but there it is.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 08:59 AM CDT
I mean MOF, obviously we'd be talking about a WM spell.

Sorry it's been a rough morning.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:02 AM CDT
Another thing to keep in mind is that combat 3.0 will be coming out along side magic 3.0. There's no reason for us to assume that agility and stealth will be the end-all or be-all of the new systems.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:06 AM CDT
>>It's picking up the agility boost from SUF. I dont think that makes it "suck" exactly, but there it is.

It sucks because you're taking away the agility boost from a much less restrictive spell in SUF and giving it to MoF which you cannot hide in and on top of that you lose the ability to do damage with shockwave while MOF is on.

I think it would make more sense to give it the parry bonus and not the agility bonus since obviously MOF will only be useful in melee situations. Or maybe a perception buff?
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:07 AM CDT
>> Another thing to keep in mind is that combat 3.0 will be coming out along side magic 3.0. There's no reason for us to assume that agility and stealth will be the end-all or be-all of the new systems.

Agility may not be what it is to weapons currently but i hardly see the usefulness of stealth diminishing. You have two entire guilds whose combat is based completely around it. Have there been posts to suggest otherwise?
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:10 AM CDT
>>Mantle of Flame:

MoF. (As Mord corrected).

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:20 AM CDT
>>Agility may not be what it is to weapons currently but i hardly see the usefulness of stealth diminishing. You have two entire guilds whose combat is based completely around it. Have there been posts to suggest otherwise?

There have been posts suggesting that the frequency of single attack kills will be going down and there have been posts that suggest that the heavier, non-stealthy, armor types will be useful to non-paladins. Both of which suggest a diminishing of the power of stealth in combat.

Beyond that we're talking about warrior mages, who are survival tert. If stealth is that important to your game plan you'll have to deal with not having as many advantages when using it.

Beyond that we're just talking about not having an agility and melee buff while using stealth. The earth form will have a strength bonus and presumably not keep you from hiding.

Beyond THAT we honestly don't know if MoF will still hinder hiding, one of the stated goals was for us to be able to use our spells with less restrictions.

So to me "sucks" is pretty harsh.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:24 AM CDT
>I'm just thinking about what situation would i ever use this MAF. Is the agility bonus worth no hiding? No, not by a long shot.

OK but, although it makes sense, we don't really know that MAF will debuff hiding.

>How practical is it in training if you can't remove the mantle of flames by shockwaving it? Not very unless you have resolved yourself to not training stealths.

I can't speak to the practicallity, but I think its been stated that there will be an analogous pattern spell that will dispell any of our self cast spells.

>I guess that could be the forced diversification we're facing and that spell would just not be something a stealth WM would get.

This might be the case.

>It's just kinda lame that our best buff combo of SW/SUF has lost the agility bonus and we've gained nothing in return by moving that bonus to MAF.

>It would make more sense to keep agility on SUF, remove the parry bonus from SUF and give that to MAF since the melee boost and parry boost seem perfect for each other.

I'd also tend to think that the agility buff would best be moved out of MAF, but for slightly differet reasons. If agility will still be involved in box skills, it wouldn't make much sense to light yourself on fire to open a box. (disclosure: doesn't matter to me one way or the other since my WM doesn't open boxes).

That being said, given the "physical manifestation" idea, its hard to imagine how SUF would improve the casters innate agility. Balance improvement (and potentially any action that produces movement of the caster's center of gravity) could be imaged as something like the mage moving the earth below his/her feet when necessary to compensate for leaning/moving/dodging actions that tend to throw one off the center of gravity. Indeed, to me it seems that under the current model of WM magic, the functionality of SUF and SW could be directly exchanged, but with SUF keeping the balance buff, and still keep within the theme.

As a side note, I think the idea is that the SUF/SW combo is gear toward defense (thus no agility) while MAF is geared toward offense.

In my yummy world of "my WM rocks combat", agility and reflex would go into SW, SUF would be balance, parry, evasion buff, and MAF would be increased melee prowess (what ever that is) and increased damage for melee attacks. Ah wouldn't life be grand, all the gold I could eat...
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:31 AM CDT
>>There have been posts suggesting that the frequency of single attack kills will be going down and there have been posts that suggest that the heavier, non-stealthy, armor types will be useful to non-paladins. Both of which suggest a diminishing of the power of stealth in combat.

The primary goal of those changes doesn't seem to be to diminish the power of stealth in combat, they'll have a same effect on non stealth combat as well. Make armor more useful.

I don't think anything will surpass the advantages gained in stealth by the element of surprise gained as well as the substantial accuracy gain in aim time from the safety of shadows or target time. Nor should it, it makes perfect sense.

>>Beyond that we're talking about warrior mages, who are survival tert. If stealth is that important to your game plan you'll have to deal with not having as many advantages when using it.

It's not stealth that i'm worried about as much as anti stealth. Clerics are survival tert as well are they not? It wouldn't exactly be breaking the mold here to give a survival tert guild an ability to seek out stealthers. WM's already have a hiding boost as well, an evasion boost, etc.

MoF seems to be the perfect candidate for a perception boost intead of an agility boost which in my opinion would be wasted on that spell for reasons i previously outlined.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:37 AM CDT

>>In my yummy world of "my WM rocks combat", agility and reflex would go into SW, SUF would be balance, parry, evasion buff, and MAF would be increased melee prowess (what ever that is) and increased damage for melee attacks. Ah wouldn't life be grand, all the gold I could eat...

Sounds great, + the perception buff ;)
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:39 AM CDT
>>Beyond that we're just talking about not having an agility and melee buff while using stealth. The earth form will have a strength bonus and presumably not keep you from hiding.

All the more reason to never use MoF.

Look i'm just trying to evaluate the functionality of the spell here. Why even make it if no one will use it?

If you think that you could use MoF in the proposed form then great, and maybe i'm just getting way ahead of myself here since as you say these are all some major changes.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:41 AM CDT
>>Look i'm just trying to evaluate the functionality of the spell here. Why even make it if no one will use it?

>>If you think that you could use MoF in the proposed form then great, and maybe i'm just getting way ahead of myself here since as you say these are all some major changes.

I'd use it as planned, and I dont see why anyone who wasn't trying to hide (provided it even still hinders it) wouldn't either.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:46 AM CDT
>>I'd use it as planned, and I dont see why anyone who wasn't trying to hide (provided it even still hinders it) wouldn't either.

It's obviously going to hinder it, we're saying that SuF should not provide an agility boost because it doesn't make sense yet a human torch hiding behind a bush is perfectly normal.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:49 AM CDT
>>It's obviously going to hinder it, we're saying that SuF should not provide an agility boost because it doesn't make sense yet a human torch hiding behind a bush is perfectly normal.

I haven't said that and I'm fine with it hindering stealth. I'd still use it as planned.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 09:55 AM CDT
>It's obviously going to hinder it, we're saying that SuF should not provide an agility boost because it doesn't make sense yet a human torch hiding behind a bush is perfectly normal.

Perhaps they could add a toggle that made the MoF not give off light - no light from flame, no hiding debuff.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 10:03 AM CDT
>>I haven't said that and I'm fine with it hindering stealth. I'd still use it as planned.

In what scenario?

I can only see advantage in melee combat, an advantage that would still be retained by boosting parry instead of agility.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2010 10:06 AM CDT

>>In what scenario?

In every scenario? I don't hide, so why wouldn't I use an agility and melee buff?