1 8 9 10 12 Next Next_page
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 10/05/2010 11:04 PM CDT
As sympathetic as I feel to the blackfire cabalists... maybe later?

I think we need some more work for the guild generic before there's a blackfire subguild.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 10/05/2010 11:17 PM CDT
>>A nice compromise, imho. Use incinerate and die yourself, or join the cabal voluntarily and suffer the outrage of society by doing so.
>>Would the higher ups go for that?

Since this in no way changes that the "social outrage" I felt was sufficient to warrant the spell cannot be approved, no.

Again, do not think in terms of Necromancers here. Think in terms of "permanently losing spell slots when you're caught" as one of a number of penalties. I sincerely do not care about how EEEVIL blackfire is ICly in this context, I care about how inappropriate it is in terms of game balance.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 10/06/2010 12:01 AM CDT
Gotcha Armifer, thanks for the perspective.

Yeah I don't really see a mechanics-based penalty doled out by the guild that would both make sense and be considered acceptable loss for the players.

By all rights, an active warmage guild would hunt down and scour the spell from the mage's head, thrash him soundly, not let him advance for a few years, then make him clean Gauthus' familiar perch for the rest of his natural life.

As much as I would love to see Blackfire doomspells running amuk, not really sure how they could survive without being watered down, other than as a 1:1 scroll, without some sort of outside support network for a warrior mage via a cabal, which on the important new stuff(tm) scale, cabals are fairly low.

That sucks :(
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 10/06/2010 09:01 AM CDT
<<The user of Blackfire, due to its uncontrollable nature, will take as much damage as his target might take. In all cases, this means Blackfire is blatantly suicidal.>>

hey, why should the moonmages get all the self-demolition? :-)

WMs should have self-destructive capacity. I mean, one look at the WM tower in shard...

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 10/06/2010 02:44 PM CDT
>>I mean, one look at the WM tower in shard...

or the Academy in Throne City..

Which would be worse? To live as a monster or to die as a good man?
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 10/06/2010 03:46 PM CDT
>>Think in terms of "permanently losing spell slots when you're caught" as one of a number of penalties.

>>But then I'm one of those poor schlubs who will use (reasonably) sub-optimal abilities if they have a high enough style factor.

If Blackfire gets hit hard enough with the Metal As Hell Mallet, I'll train up a WM just to have him slowly ruin himself with Blackfire magic.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 08/17/2011 06:16 PM CDT
It's been a while. With Magic 3.0 apparently just around the corner, were any decisions reached on those spells whose exact effects were still in question when the list was originally posted? Mark of Arhat and Rain of Fire? Also, any more info on our combat pet spell, or the weapon creation thing that was mentioned?
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 08/26/2011 11:51 AM CDT
Still no response... I'm in agreement with Incarnation here. Would like to see any updates on the spell list, or further elaboration on spells such as Mark of Arhat, Fire Rain, etc. (You know, spells from the GOOD Spellbook - Book of Fire!) :D

ps. Could us Fire loyalists (Ya know, the ones that can hold the Fire Lion title) get a quest @ 50-100 to get Incinerate? Seems fair! If the Water Mages want to cry about it, give them a quest for Air Bubble! Buahahah!
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 10:53 AM CDT
Curious if we could get an update on WM magic 3.0. Are all the spells still on the same concept as the original post? (i know how things change around here) Was there any decision on MoA?

I think it would be cool if MoA could 'mark' a bodypart much like it does now, then grant additional TM learning if we hit that part again. Though that might just be needlessly complicated. What if the mark used a TM targeting matrix to light up a critter, giving us a TM-based bonus to hit with mundane weapons for a short period?

Also, I know this is a little late, but please please please do not remove SD. If you must, tell us that it's overpowered and has to be tweaked or downgraded, but there's nothing else in our arsenal that does what it does. And it's pretty.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 11:19 AM CDT
MoA ended up as a damage amplifier.

Weapon creation spells will probably not make the cut for release, but I hope to introduce shortly afterward.

Sun Lance is moving from Fire to Hylomorphic Sorcery. It will be Fun. Uncertain if it will make release.

A dispel tentatively called Ward Breaker got added to Aether. It is an offensive dispel that only targets barrier spells. Pretty sure it will be available at release.

The Warrior Mage spell tree is easily the most complex of the lot. I hope whoever makes those graphics for Elanthipedia likes dotted lines. The big thing comes down to this:

1) Each of the non-Aether core spellbooks has a TM spell as its Intro. You need to pick one of these to proceed. Afterward you gain access to the Aether spellbook, can proceed further into the utility of the element you picked, or grab another element's TM opener and start again.

2) At 8th circle, you will gain access to a 0-slot metaspell that removes the requirement of learning the intro TM spell to progress further up the tree. You can still pick up the TM spell if you want, but at that point you can also leap-frog over it into the meat of the tree.

Result: there are 5 "straight TM" spells, each patterned after one of the non-Aether elements. Pick your element of choice and you can ignore the rest. Or not, if you prefer to have more than one.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 11:33 AM CDT
I hope weapon creation spells are flexible to accommodate more melee weapon choices.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 11:36 AM CDT
<<Sun Lance is moving from Fire to Hylomorphic Sorcery. It will be Fun. Uncertain if it will make release.>>

can you give us an idea of what this is, what it consists of over in the general magic folder? i know many of us are curious as to what sort of spells we'll be able to conjure up....

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 11:52 AM CDT
>>I hope weapon creation spells are flexible to accommodate more melee weapon choices.

Part of the reason for delaying them is to do this right I'll need time to step back and get a better feel for what weapons in the post 3.0 world will look like.

-Armifer
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 12:27 PM CDT
Any word on Fire Rain?

- Starlear -
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 01:24 PM CDT
>I hope whoever makes those graphics for Elanthipedia likes dotted lines.

I am SO not it.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 01:48 PM CDT
Awesome! Thanks Armifer for the quick response.
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 02:17 PM CDT
>>At 8th circle, you will gain access to a 0-slot metaspell that removes the requirement of learning the intro TM spell to progress further up the tree. You can still pick up the TM spell if you want, but at that point you can also leap-frog over it into the meat of the tree.

Do 3.0 slots work similar to current slots, where you can hold onto slots if you choose to? Where, say, you get a slot at 18th but you don't use it until you're 20th and can qualify for spell X?

If so, does this mean you can technically get your TM ranks from classes/runes/whatever from 1st to 8th, then learn the metaspell and avoid ever having to get an intro TM spell?
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/23/2011 02:37 PM CDT
>>Do 3.0 slots work similar to current slots, where you can hold onto slots if you choose to? Where, say, you get a slot at 18th but you don't use it until you're 20th and can qualify for spell X?

Yes.

>>If so, does this mean you can technically get your TM ranks from classes/runes/whatever from 1st to 8th, then learn the metaspell and avoid ever having to get an intro TM spell?

No. The metaspell explicitly requires Ethereal Shield, and ES requires one of the five basic TM spells without allowing for the metaspell substitution (since you explicitly need ES before you get the metaspell).

With spell erasures you can juggle things around a bit, but won't be able to escape the requirement of one bread-and-butter TM spell.

>>Any word on Fire Rain?

Uh, probably, but I can't recall off hand. I'll check my notes later.

-Armifer
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 09/24/2011 06:15 PM CDT

Any word about Pathways in the 3.0 world?
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 03/04/2012 04:01 PM CST
>>Any word on Fire Rain?
>Uh, probably, but I can't recall off hand. I'll check my notes later.

So Armifer... Any word on Fire Rain?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 03/04/2012 04:02 PM CST
>Any word on Fire Rain?

They've decided to adopt the Nintendo approach. Fire Rain will grow fire flowers for your personal use. :P

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Tentative Magic 3.0 Spell List 03/04/2012 05:52 PM CST
>They've decided to adopt the Nintendo approach.

But first you have to eat some mushrooms.
1 8 9 10 12 Next Next_page