1 2 3 5 Next Next_page
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 10:45 PM CDT
<Barbarians aren't barbarians

::reads further into this:: Oh ... I see ... of course they aren't. Whatever made me think they would be? /facedesk ... /facedesksohard
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 10:46 PM CDT
Let's just rename the Paladins to Clerbarians and call it good.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/29/2014 12:29 AM CDT
Sounds too close to "Carebearians" so not a good idea.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/30/2014 10:24 PM CDT

>>Sounds too close to "Carebearians" so not a good idea.

lol that does fall into the majority of most paladins RP
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/30/2014 11:10 PM CDT
>>Sounds too close to "Carebearians" so not a good idea.

>>lol that does fall into the majority of most paladins RP

I agree, due to being a noble paladin I tend to be far too nice. It is terrible.

An overpowering sense of wrongness overcomes you, leaving you struggling against an almost uncontrollable urge to lash out at anyone and anything around you. With tremendous force of will, you manage to regain control of your emotions. - Irony
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/30/2014 11:29 PM CDT
You apparently do not know how hard it is to RP nice all the time.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/01/2014 08:17 AM CDT
But your PvP is solid. That's a good way too vent the hate you vulcans suppress.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/01/2014 09:11 PM CDT
>>But your PvP is solid. That's a good way too vent the hate you vulcans suppress.

Ironically, I've been marathoning Star Trek: Enterprise on Netflix. I'm like halfway through the last season. There's a lot about vulcans. We must follow their example and surpress our emotions which is hard to do because the gods dont and we follow the gods but we have to set an example and it is difficult and I am always nice. I'm a paladin.

An overpowering sense of wrongness overcomes you, leaving you struggling against an almost uncontrollable urge to lash out at anyone and anything around you. With tremendous force of will, you manage to regain control of your emotions. - Irony
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/01/2014 10:11 PM CDT
>I'm a paladin.

If you're always nice wouldn't that make you a...wait for it...Palladin?

Whomp whomp.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/02/2014 07:49 AM CDT
>>If you're always nice wouldn't that make you a...wait for it...Palladin?

On behalf of clanking warriors everywhere..ow.

Samsaren
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/02/2014 01:11 PM CDT
Palladin is a protein that in humans is encoded by the PALLD gene.[1][2][3][4] Palladin is a component of actin-containing microfilaments that control cell shape, adhesion, and contraction.[4]

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/02/2014 01:23 PM CDT
citation plz
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/02/2014 01:43 PM CDT
>>citation plz

Oh, I apologize, friend. Wikipedia.com, it is a wonderful new website where you can learn all kinds of interesting facts. I don't know of anyone who's visited it before, but definitely a fascinating read.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/02/2014 01:45 PM CDT

told you so
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/06/2014 10:54 AM CDT

I know I'm a few days late on this, but I feel like the Paladins should be the Holy warriors that were supposed to be, allowed to have any patron diety, the only problem with this is the whole "soul state" maybe if the paladin had more favors from a dark aspect, theyd benefit from a midnight black soul and vice versa. In our current state, were basically just forced to be the police force, which if I recall was intentional due to the Governments involvement in guild affairs (see: Beren and Oane events).

maybe a sect split for abilities like what moon mages have would be the best thing for us

IE: Paladin of slaughter- dark souls state,combat based powers, worships dark aspects that have to do with war
Paladin of the shadows - dark soul state, has stealth based abilities, worsips the gods of thieves
one for healing the sick (bonuses to protect, first aid, buffing spells to others)
one for smiting the undead (huge bonuses to smiting the undead, but takes a penalty to things that aren't inherently evil)
a magic based one (stronger spells, maybe exclusive ones, im looking at like a Magic shield or weapon that is covered in holy fire, also idea for a spell.[cyclic, small fire/holy damage on successful block])

Uniformity is fine and all, but its stale to see the same paladin RP template with a different name. We should be allowed to have some personality and variances without detracting from the guild.

Khearkrash No'RokenVilks- Resident Palbaribard of the TT
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/07/2014 01:02 PM CDT
no all paladins have to conform to the same RP. seriously i swear for that is what i do

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/08/2014 07:03 AM CDT

Let me rephrase the RP statement.

Our RP itself may be different, but for anyone who isn't the cookie cutter nice guy, we have do do things way out of our RP to keep our guild skills working. The way that our guild is right now, I can murder, backstab, and be a general jerk like picking on the youngins and whatnot, but as long as I have a pilgrims badge, tithe once in a while and all my favors are from Chadatru, I can keep my soul state up. that's going and doing things way out of RP.

Its about the same level of having to play out of RP as the empaths that wish for slaughter to happen and tell people to go get injured, the polar opposite of empathy.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/08/2014 12:48 PM CDT
>Its about the same level of having to play out of RP as the empaths that wish for slaughter to happen and tell people to go get injured, the polar opposite of empathy.

Incorrect. The possession of supernatural Empathy is only slightly related to empathy. Being an empath doesn't prevent you from being an ass.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/08/2014 09:46 PM CDT
<Our RP itself may be different, but for anyone who isn't the cookie cutter nice guy, we have do do things way out of our RP to keep our guild skills working.

It does not have to be out of 'your RP.' All you need to do is come up with a reason to murder, backstab, or be a jerk to youngins that fits in with the notion of a warrior touched by the divine, of the Gods or what have you. Then you have to pay the cost to keep your soul working so you can continue to do these things in the name of whatever Gods or righteous cause you have devised. If you really want to do all of these things for no real justifiable RP reason, why not just play another guild. To remove a Paladin's soul would make playing a Paladin more like a different flavor of warmie or barb. Really bland. Playing all nicey nice and goodie goodie can be quite the challenge at times, and I must say that I do not think my Paladin is 'cookie cutter' at all.

None of this means Paladin RP HAS to be shining white or goodie goodie or even nice. It just means that a Paladin must attend to his/her soul as they do what they feel they must. Having a functional soul is Paladin RP. I refer to Armifer's post 'Sacred and Profane' as it does a good job explaining dark pallie RP.

~~~
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 09:23 AM CDT
>I know I'm a few days late on this, but I feel like the Paladins should be the Holy warriors that were supposed to be, allowed to have any patron diety, the only problem with this is the whole "soul state" maybe if the paladin had more favors from a dark aspect, theyd benefit from a midnight black soul and vice versa.

I don't know any more than you do; I may know a lot less, but the reason I don't think black soul state could ever mean we worship a dark aspect and gain special dark powers is because of what I perceive to be foreshadowing in previous events. I don't feel like I know yet that the soul hits have much if anything to do with an Immortal. Even though the guild's tenets make it easy to follow Chadatru, I think we're already free to follow any Immortals we choose. That may (hopefully) become apparent as more of the guild's lore is revealed.

The lore, as more of it's revealed, may grant us better justification for doing things that hurt our soul than "because it's necessary." The current Code has been a point of controversy for years after all since even before we (those who want to know the "truth" IC) discovered its origins. We may not be so happy to go with the flow once we learn more about our guild's history.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 10:32 AM CDT
Maybe I'm confused on the concept of soul/soulstate, but I think the way it was recently explained by a GM (name escapes me) is that it's an indication of well one's behaviors match up to what the divine agent who has sanctified said soul emulates. Right now this sanctified soul does indeed seem to be tied to Chadatru so emulating Chadatru's behavior is good (makes a soul more pristine), doing things Chadatru does not like is bad (makes a soul blacker). If in the future this is expanded to allow a Paladins soul to be sanctified by different deities, then they would likewise strive to maintain a pristine soul in relation to that deities particular likes and dislikes. This doesn't mean that once sanctified the deity is watching the Paladins' every move. Rather, the Paladin knows what he should and should not be doing and when he does something against that deity he sort of feels bad and negatively impacts the sanctified soul.

If any of this is true, I just don't see any reason a Paladin would ever strive to keep a black soul.

--Just a Squire
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 11:04 AM CDT
Would be a lot of work but would also be sweet if paladins could worship whomever they wanted and as a result there would be as many inherently 'correct' ways to play a paladin as there are immortals - as their soul state would be tied to behaviors that a particular deity prefers.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 11:13 AM CDT
<<Would be a lot of work but would also be sweet if paladins could worship whomever they wanted and as a result there would be as many inherently 'correct' ways to play a paladin as there are immortals - as their soul state would be tied to behaviors that a particular deity prefers.>>

Yeah, but I don't see it ever happening. There just aren't enough Paladins for GM's to justify that sort of time sink.

--Just a Squire
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 02:14 PM CDT
I think the following is what was most recently posted by Armifer (unless stated otherwise) on the subject:

>As things currently stand, the Paladin ethic revolves around the health of the soul. Whatever the Paladin wants to do, it must be justified under the rubric of "is it worth the cost to my soul?"

>There is a small chance that this entire scheme will change at some point. There's a much larger chance that we'll expand and redefine exactly what tweaks the soul.

>The soul in DR is an organ of the body, sort of like a spleen but made out of ephemeral material called spiritual energy. The soul is the seat of consciousness, and when the soul and body part ways the mind goes with the soul. Souls without the protection of a corporeal body "ablate" over time and diminish, doing damage to the personality trapped within and eventually becoming so rarefied it stops existing on this plane entirely. Souls can be created or destroyed by mortal magic, but it's an extraordinarily hard and broadly useless task.

>The soul of the Paladin is a specially sanctified organ, sort of like having "holy blood" but not icky. Most Paladins do not know where the sanctified soul process comes from, but sanctifying the soul is part of the induction process of being a Paladin. How this is done is a holy mystery the Guildleaders keep to themselves, but it's either within mortal means or there's something Upstairs that is very decidedly active in the process of inducting a Paladin.

>The ultimate reason to care for the sanctified soul, and what its purpose is, has not been revealed yet, and I would like to eventually resurrect Dartenian's plot rather than just spoil it. The biggest hint I'll give is the one I've given freely: once the soul is sanctified, the Paladin cannot perceive holy energies without seeing a taint in them. (This took me back to where I read Oane talk about Syal's sacrifice and The Bonding.)

>>(Tev)The only thing I really care about for Souls 3.0 is that the parts which revolve around PvP taboo goes away. Things like "no stalking in combat" and "no committing crimes" makes total sense, but "first strikes and killing is bad but only in PvP" needs to go out the window.

>Yeah, I can get behind that. I again emphasize that while I'm a bit hesitant to suggest that "Paladin must care for his soul" is going away, everyone I've talked to that has an opinion about Paladins thinks that the Soul system needs a revision.

>There's little absolutely stopping a Paladin from forsaking the gods, or embracing a dark aspect, or whatever. They simply have to pay the price in their soul for whatever their spirituality and ethics dictate they do. They do Holy magic through the sanctified soul, the gods are sort of a secondary consideration.

>Clerical Devotion is what we're looking for if we want "magic via direct experience of the divine."

>>(Caraamon) It seems like you're describing the soul and spirit in the same terminology, is there a difference?

>The terms can be conflated and I don't particularly worry about specificity most times.

>If I'm going to try to be specific, the soul is a specific thing (a body part, essentially) that is made out of spirit, which can technically make a number of different things.

>>(Isharon) Any word on when this might be resumed? It was an interesting story line in 2010, and then it just went into limbo (like Paladin development in general).

>Unfortunately, no. I'll talk with folks, but if I'm being perfectly honest with you a Paladin push is desirable but probably gated behind the Trader push later this year.

>>(Stellarmagus)So ... the gods aren't the only holy things running around?

>The width and depth of what is divine is a big question! It's reasonable to believe at this point that there are things that are gods that are not identified as the Thirteen Immortals, but how far that rabbit hole goes is beyond mortal understanding.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 02:49 PM CDT
Well, having a black soul seems very similar to seeing black flecks in holy mana. My guess is that it has to do with being disconnected from the gods somehow, as opposed to worshiping a negative aspect. Negative aspects are still just as holy and pure as the light or neutral aspects. The blackness in mana and in souls represents a thing that used to be full of holiness, and is now just ... nothing.

PS I would love it if the descriptions were to change from "black" to "colorless", "empty", and/or "nothingness." A la The Neverending Story.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 02:51 PM CDT
A hole would be something, but this ... this is nothing!
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 02:54 PM CDT
OMG Triple post, but - it stands to reason that if the gods or the All-Father or whoever created the world from nothing, that they would be opposed to nothingness. Some sort of Void force/entity. It'd explain why the gods are both positive/negative/neutral and yet still "holy" and "good" in a sense. The negative aspects may be dark and evil but at least they aren't nothing. I have no idea what this force called "The Hunger" is that I've heard about, but now I'm motivated to seeing if it could be tied in to this concept somehow.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 02:58 PM CDT
>>OMG Triple post, but - it stands to reason that if the gods or the All-Father or whoever created the world from nothing, that they would be opposed to nothingness. Some sort of Void force/entity.

Basic mythic history for Elanthians goes that the One wed the Void and both ceased to exist, creating existence in their wake.

Whether that has remotely anything to do with anything is, as always, up to the interpretation of the reader.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 03:21 PM CDT
Wed, destroyed, engulfed, battled ... potato, potahto ...
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 07/09/2014 04:20 PM CDT
>Basic mythic history for Elanthians goes that the One wed the Void and both ceased to exist, creating existence in their wake.

That's one hell of a Big Bang.
1 2 3 5 Next Next_page