Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:21 PM CDT
<Krooner's post

:( It's sad and it's true.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:37 PM CDT
>>NDIN

Thank you for posting that. I was curious as to what I missed with the removed post, and that was comedy gold.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:39 PM CDT
Paladin's are the heroes! Why shun this? Go be an obtuse warrior of the light!

Stop fighting your internal urges and be the shining beacon of stubborn self righteousness you were born to be!

Next thing I know I'm going to read the necromancer folders; and someone's going to want to be a "Good" Necromancer... oh wait nm forum meltdown in one... two...

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:43 PM CDT
<heroes

I hate what modern language has done to this word. I prefer the Homeric slant, honestly. Both sides of a conflict have heroes.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:48 PM CDT
<<I hate what modern language has done to this word. I prefer the Homeric slant, honestly. Both sides of a conflict have heroes.>>

Way to take an extremely sarcastic post and make it; that.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 09:52 PM CDT
<<comedy gold

And he didn't even quote all of it.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 09:17 AM CDT
I always liked the idea of how Dragon Age handles Templars(Paladins) and the Chantry(Clerics). Each are an arm of the same organization, with their own hierarchy who just happen to both ultimately answer to the same person("The Divine"), who is sometimes a Templar and sometimes a Priest of the Chantry.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 09:42 AM CDT
>I hate what modern language has done to this word. I prefer the Homeric slant

The Heroic Code in The Iliad

Heroic Honor

The goal of Homeric heroes is to achieve honor. Honor is essential if one wants to be a hero

1. Honor is gained through engagement in life-threatening activities (a hero cannot avoid threatening situations and maintain his honor. Other characters often advise heroes to stay away from certain situations (Akhilleus warns Patroklos not to attack Troy; Poulydamas tells Hektor to lead the Trojans back to the city and fight with them there; Priam and Hekabe beg Hektor not to fight Akhilleus), but to be heroic, heroes must ignore the advice.

3. Heroes value honor above life. Hektor contemplates his options (Bk 22, lns 119-56--to take cover within the walls and suffer Poulydamas' censure for not having done so immediately; to kill Akhilleus in combat, man to man; or to shed his armor, approach Akhilleus, and talk things out by offering to return Helen along with Alexandros' spoils) but determines that he has no choice: to maintain his honor and gain the respect of Akhilleus, he must fight and leave his fate in the hands of the gods.

4. Honor is determined by a number of things: the courage he displays; the difficulty of the test he faces (battle brings the highest honor while hunting and athletics garner lesser degrees of honor, and offering sage advice in council--as the aged Nestor does--brings even less honor); the physical abilities he possesses; his social status; and the possessions that he acquires, i.e., the spoils of his victories.

NOTE: This wiki is incomplete

In much of 'classical literature' (which means latin texts/stories) the hero must die at the end of the story in order to technically fall into the hero category. It required that prerequisite. That's the real element from which the modern 'hero' is excused.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 10:31 AM CDT
I may be in the minority but I would prefer if the Paladin Guild ties to the Temple were all purely political. We may unite to some purpose or share some of the same beliefs and ideals, but our duty should be to life, guild and country. I don't care much if our divine inspiration for carrying out that duty comes from Chadatru or Meraud or another god or all gods.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 10:41 AM CDT
<<I may be in the minority but I would prefer if the Paladin Guild ties to the Temple were all purely political. We may unite to some purpose or share some of the same beliefs and ideals, but our duty should be to life, guild and country. I don't care much if our divine inspiration for carrying out that duty comes from Chadatru or Meraud or another god or all gods.>>

I disagree. I'd rather be a Divine Knight than a Knight. There's too much in our current lore that does give us a direct tie to the divine: Holy weapons, Holy Magic and mana, Sacred Insight, these are not just political maneuvers.

--Just a Squire
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 10:57 AM CDT
>>I'd rather be a Divine Knight than a Knight.<<

Part of the problem (no offence to development) is the notion of Balance. Paladins use to be really awesome in combat.
Now not so much.
example
Courage use to be a Stamina boost that would allow huge damage to occur and you would be able to survive it. I literally had a fractured skull and went on to kill a greater skeleton.
This was tempered by the large penalties for PvP . Soul hits, hot tears and so forth.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 11:10 AM CDT
>I disagree. I'd rather be a Divine Knight than a Knight. There's too much in our current lore that does give us a direct tie to the divine: Holy weapons, Holy Magic and mana, Sacred Insight, these are not just political maneuvers.

Not sayin' I want to divorce 'divine' and 'knight.' I just don't want to take my orders from the Temple. I'm actually not a fan of the idea of a paladin with no religion. At our guild's foundation, the mana we use is directly tied to the Immortals.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 12:48 PM CDT
<<Courage use to be a Stamina boost that would allow huge damage to occur and you would be able to survive it. I literally had a fractured skull and went on to kill a greater skeleton.>>

Yeah, but I'm sure you admit that it was incredibly overpowered. I remember being able to cast a 3+ hour courage that would let you run around with the kind of wounds you are describing. Has it become completely nerfed? Absolutely. So much so that BA is our lame signature spell, heh.

However, I wholeheartedly believe that we will get balanced out when our turn for development arrives. Again, I remember that before I left polearms and shields were terrible. Yet, based on feedback from Ssra that they would be developed to work better, I kept training them as my primary armor and secondary weapon only to return to find that indeed they became what was promised (now they are both my primary). I understand it sucks to feel like things keep getting tweaked-back for the guild, and it's probably especially annoying to have someone come back after a decade absence and suggest being patient, but I really do think we will get our time in the sun again.

--Just a Squire
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 12:54 PM CDT
>>However, I wholeheartedly believe that we will get balanced out when our turn for development arrives.<<

I do hope you are correct. But the reference being that we were solders of the Gods imbued with supernatural abilities.

Now not so much.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 01:50 PM CDT
>I may be in the minority but I would prefer if the Paladin Guild ties to the Temple were all purely political. We may unite to some purpose or share some of the same beliefs and ideals, but our duty should be to life, guild and country. I don't care much if our divine inspiration for carrying out that duty comes from Chadatru or Meraud or another god or all gods.

>I disagree. I'd rather be a Divine Knight than a Knight. There's too much in our current lore that does give us a direct tie to the divine: Holy weapons, Holy Magic and mana, Sacred Insight, these are not just political maneuvers.

If I were a Paladin I might pay attention to this dichotomy of approach because of the RP potential in it. It seems to me this difference in belief can spawn small scale and world-wide RP. I wasn't previously aware of a ton of intra-paladin guild intrigue; this is definitely a start.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 02:46 PM CDT
>I do hope you are correct. But the reference being that we were solders of the Gods imbued with supernatural abilities.

Yeah. The theme problem, if I understand it correctly, is clerics already fill the god warrior role adequately, to say the least. I may be making far reaching generalizations, but if clerics are supposed to be the magically potent god warriors of Elanthia whose scholarly pursuits are more centered on theology, I think paladins should place a greater focus on sociopolitical pursuits with theology as a driver or guide. By the same token, I think a greater emphasis should be placed on making mundane (by DR standards) things and people better through supernatural but not always divine means. Enter: holy weapons, armor stuff, protects, spells that enhance weapons and armor, lead, etc.

Another way to look at it is... A cleric is smiting that undead thing because it's an aberration or for scholarly reasons or because he thinks his god may want him to for whatever reason. The paladin is smiting that undead thing because it would be a threat to his people or himself, possibly his gods, however credible. A moon mage tries to teleport it away because it's obscuring his view of Xibar. A barb is trying to smash because he smash. A bard is trying to convince it he's dead because it'd make for a great story at the inn, while the thief tries to steal from or assassinate the bard and the ranger gathers acorns for his raccoon from the shadows. You get the idea.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 03:18 PM CDT
<I may be in the minority but I would prefer if the Paladin Guild ties to the Temple were all purely political.

Probably not in the minority actually, but:

<I disagree. I'd rather be a Divine Knight than a Knight. There's too much in our current lore that does give us a direct tie to the divine: Holy weapons, Holy Magic and mana, Sacred Insight, these are not just political maneuvers.

Gotta be divine.

<Paladins use to be really awesome in combat.
<Now not so much.

QFT

<Not sayin' I want to divorce 'divine' and 'knight.' I just don't want to take my orders from the Temple. I'm actually not a fan of the idea of a paladin with no religion. At our guild's foundation, the mana we use is directly tied to the Immortals.

Yes.

<it's probably especially annoying to have someone come back after a decade absence and suggest being patient, but I really do think we will get our time in the sun again.

Yeah, where have you been, slacker. You missed all of the fun Pallie non-development! I hope you are right though, a pale, un-tanned Paladin is an unhealthy Paladin. Not to mention downright unattractive.

<If I were a Paladin I might pay attention to this dichotomy of approach because of the RP potential in it. It seems to me this difference in belief can spawn small scale and world-wide RP. I wasn't previously aware of a ton of intra-paladin guild intrigue; this is definitely a start.

There is a ton of potential intra-paladin guild intrigue. I am all for more and more Paladin RP. Maybe that will keep me busy enough I can forget about what a Paladin could be if we weren't so ignored over the years.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 03:42 PM CDT
Since we're talking about Paladin character, let's try to think out of the box for a second. Everything in life is about perspective, which is generally influenced by the community one keeps. If one group of Paladins were highly religious, by some standards fundamentalists, and another group was secular, believing that their primary duty should be directed somewhere else like influencing global politics, how heated could the conflict become?

Could Paladins rationalize a violent internal civil war?

If the seculars believed that their honor depended entirely on them forcefully, sometimes lethally shielding their guild from becoming a religious institution, would they take up arms against their brothers?

If the zealots believed that to neglect exerting themselves to the very depths of their endurance in the defense of the religion they might suffer terrible consequences in the next life, would they take up arms against their guild mates?

I'm not a paladin but i would be curious to hear how people would approach this. To imagine paladins as mary sues would be a mistake I would avoid making. I think the fact that they are extremely conviction-driven implies all kinds of potential and unintuitive directions.

Exciting would be a guild, in this case Paladins, having a really legitimate reason to take sides in a conflict of ideas that are central to the guild's core reason for existing.

Just saying :)
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 04:20 PM CDT
If so, it would be an exhausting endeavor. Nobody would be able to successfully defeat his opponent. Eventually they'd all forget what they were fighting about and wash it away with Chadatru's Justice.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 04:23 PM CDT
<Exciting would be a guild, in this case Paladins, having a really legitimate reason to take sides in a conflict of ideas that are central to the guild's core reason for existing.

There has been some conflict between light/dark Paladins, but not to the point that it has completely come to blows or some sort of Paladin Civil War. I think most Paladins (despite the popular stereotype) are not complete zealots in regards to their brethren. So long as they attend to their soul, it is a rather personal matter - and a personal choice. Heretical Paladins are a bit of a different case.

We came close to some guild strife when the Oane event was starting up, with Paladins ignoring the Council order to arrest immediately, and the potential that The Code handed down by the Council is not likely an original handed down from the founding of the Guild. The whole debate about the bonding and Syal and our true nature was just heating up, then poof. Oane was arrested, Beren never found and.. fade to black.

Could be interesting if the curtain rose on this again. It has been such a long intermission though, we would likely need some sort of re-cap.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 04:26 PM CDT
<If so, it would be an exhausting endeavor. Nobody would be able to successfully defeat his opponent. Eventually they'd all forget what they were fighting about and wash it away with Chadatru's Justice.

Yeah, it would take a lot to get the Paladins in an uproar against each other for this. Would more likely take the form of heated debate, possibly leading to cursing or damning our opponents with words.

~~~
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 04:41 PM CDT
Some of the best debates I've had with paladins were over morality. They never ended in decapitation, however. If religious debates in DR are anything like IRL, those might.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 05:51 PM CDT
>>Some of the best debates I've had with paladins were over morality. They never ended in decapitation, however. If religious debates in DR are anything like IRL, those might.<<

Came close weren't you SHUNNED at one point?

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 06:23 PM CDT
>Came close weren't you SHUNNED at one point?

Not me. Maybe you're thinking of Walcar?
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 06:30 PM CDT
>>Not me. Maybe you're thinking of Walcar?<<

Could be. Got so involved with the Oane event that everything else was a bit of a blur.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 07:31 PM CDT
<I may be in the minority but I would prefer if the Paladin Guild ties to the Temple were all purely political.

If you're in the minority, I'm there with you. I believe that Paladins should be knights first and foremost, with a healthy dose of religion added on top for good measure. Not the other way around. This has the added benefit of further separating Paladins from Clerics, among many other things.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 07:51 PM CDT
>I believe that Paladins should be knights first and foremost, with a healthy dose of religion added on top for good measure. Not the other way around.

Paladins see holy mana. That sort of precludes a non-religious background.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 08:14 PM CDT
<Paladins see holy mana. That sort of precludes a non-religious background.

Don't get me wrong. That dose of religion added on top should still be there whether a given Paladin likes it or not. I just think it's a mistake to make it the main focus of the guild, that's all.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 08:35 PM CDT
I had a random idea that would never happen:

Finally admit armor is a lost cause, change Paladins to Weapon primary, and then the Barbarians can have brothers.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 09:37 PM CDT
>Finally admit armor is a lost cause, change Paladins to Weapon primary, and then the Barbarians can have brothers.

It would be interesting. The defense oriented version of Barbs. If we're going that route clerics need to switch to armor secondary though, to differentiate them from WMs.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 09:44 PM CDT
<the Barbarians can have brothers.

Paladins vs Barbarians is just as important a discussion as Paladins vs Clerics, I think. Arguably, Paladins fit somewhere between the two. A Paladin should be "educated" (lore, magic, and the like - and by educated I mean noticeable guild requirements) and this serves to separate them from Barbarians. Thematically speaking, Paladins are the Roman Legion, the Greek Phalanx, the Imperial Legion from The Elder Scrolls, the noble knight and his lance - in contrast to the Barbarians who would be the Viking berserker, the "wild" Pict painted in woad, the Mongolian horde firing arrows from horseback. Both are in the business of battle, but the most notable difference is one of order vs chaos. The Paladin advances steadily, as a unit, behind a shieldwall, always with some strategy in mind. The Barbarian berserks and goes for the throat. For clarity's sake, I'm speaking very generally. Some barbarians will be smart and educated, just as some Paladins might choose to get away with only doing the bare minimum of their scholarly duties. Mechanically speaking, the major difference between the guilds (apart from magic, which Paladins are tertiary and frankly shouldn't be a focus for the guild) is that while both rely on weapons and armor, Paladins focus on Lore while Barbarians focus on Survival. I'd argue that, again speaking very generally, Paladins should focus more on war and battle while Barbarians would focus more on single combat and disorganized brawls. Sadly, DR doesn't have any mechanics in place for wars/battles that I'm aware of. Add it to the list of pipe dreams.

I also don't think armor is a lost cause. It can (and should) be developed. Developing the armor skillgroup should be towards the top of the priority list for dev time, in my opinion.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 10:36 PM CDT
>Both are in the business of battle, but the most notable difference is one of order vs chaos. The Paladin advances steadily, as a unit, behind a shieldwall, always with some strategy in mind. The Barbarian berserks and goes for the throat. For clarity's sake, I'm speaking very generally.

I disagree a bit; the paladin I think you have about right. Lore secondary means something in DR. I think you're a swing-and-a-miss on the barbarians though.

The name itself is misleading; in DR, barbarians are simply weapon fighters. They range, in game lore, from strategic generals to the painted berserker to the ninja assassin. If it uses a weapon, there's a barbarian out there who's exemplified the style, whether it's rapier fencing, crossbow sniping, or dual wielding two axes. Lacking the lore secondary skill placement means that they're not really going to be well read or scholarly, as a group, but it doesn't imply savagery. The name, much like the Paladin code, is just a relic from DR -1.0.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/27/2014 11:04 PM CDT
<< Paladins focus on Lore while Barbarians focus on Survival. >>

I agreed with most of your post and even this to a degree, but mostly the difference is weapons versus armors.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 11:37 AM CDT
I'm going to have to agree with Krooner on this. Barbarians aren't barbarians, though some may choose to be. The very existence of the Predator path is pretty good evidence of this.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 11:44 AM CDT
>>I'm going to have to agree with Krooner on this. Barbarians aren't barbarians, though some may choose to be. The very existence of the Predator path is pretty good evidence of this.<<

Most people associate barbarians with the Berserkers of old or the Non religious of the customary gods. Even though most Barbarians did have a god. Just not a popular one or well known.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 12:14 PM CDT
>Most people associate barbarians with the Berserkers of old or the Non religious of the customary gods. Even though most Barbarians did have a god. Just not a popular one or well known.

Not sure what you're saying here Elf. They weren't religious except the ones who were?

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 12:30 PM CDT
>>Not sure what you're saying here Elf. They weren't religious except the ones who were?<<

Sorry one of the problems I have. Most barbarians did have deities just they weren't well know or should I say not respected by the brunt of the population.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 12:46 PM CDT
>Sorry one of the problems I have. Most barbarians did have deities just they weren't well know or should I say not respected by the brunt of the population.

I'm still not really getting it I guess. You're talking about Barbarians in real life? Like, the Irish daubed all in Woad going to battle? And how they all had some form of deity they worshiped? If so, and I'm not being rude, why does that matter?

We're discussing the ins and the outs of barbarians vs. paladins in DR, so the religion, or lack of, in real life, doesn't seem relevant to me, that's why I wasn't getting it. Can you explain why that's an important distinction, since I'm missing it?

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 12:56 PM CDT
>>We're discussing the ins and the outs of barbarians vs. paladins in DR, so the religion, or lack of, in real life, doesn't seem relevant to me, that's why I wasn't getting it. Can you explain why that's an important distinction, since I'm missing it?<,

Hmmm I thought the discussion was about A Paladin "theme" and the difference between a Barb and a Paladin.Someone mentioned Barbs in DR didn't have a religious background.But they do not only in DR but real life. So perhaps I shouldn't have included it in the discussion.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/28/2014 01:09 PM CDT
>>Someone mentioned Barbs in DR didn't have a religious background

All guilds have a religious background when you look at it in the sense that all reasonable members of all guilds (except maybe one) are god fearing worshipers knowing who keeps them alive.

That's notably different than who literally powers their mojo batteries, though.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.