Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 12:52 AM CDT

1) I'm not sure how the moderators let this slide, but okay: I'm not sure if you've been stabbed before but it seriously sucks and I would take someone saying they would find me and stab me in the kidneys very seriously and probably aggressively. That's not only a personal attack, that's legally assault. (not battery) Stellar was very merciful, perhaps too much so, in his reaction.

2) Religion or lack thereof is closely tied to the theme and direction(s) of paladins. I think Caraamon is on the right track for the most part. You can't responsibly talk about paladins without talking about faith or lack thereof.

2) The soul should decay if you are lazy. Its an organ made of spirit, remember? Don't feed/use your muscles- decay. Don't feed/use your brain- decay. Don't feed/use your soul- decay.

3) I'm becoming confident in expecting that when our turn as a guild comes we will get to be able to take the Code we are handed at circle 1 and through quests customize it. This would solve..... pretty much every issue I've read about soul state in these forums.

4) Personally I like the Racial TDP Soul State Model.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 03:24 AM CDT
How It Is
Okay, so here's how the current religious power scheme works.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/High_Temple

Tallis is the leader of the High Temple in the Crossings. In this context, this both means the literal building and the organization. In theory, (and often in practice) the High Temple basically dictates the doctrine of the eastern worship of the Thirteen. This seems to vary from topics such as Necromancers, heretical sects, and it has even been implied to have control over which Clerical spells are considered part of guild.

To give one example, it was Tallis who called for the crusade against the Dragon Priests in 388.

Now, I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit behind on Paladin events, but I can't recall having heard of anything which says the Temple has any control over the Paladin Guild or Paladin Council. On one hand, I can see why this would appeal to the players (why should another guild control mine), but on the other hand, it seems a bit odd that the most powerful religious organization in Elanthia has no control over self-described (currently) holy warriors.

How It Might Be
Now if I were to write this from scratch, I would have the Cleric and Paladin guilds be tied together, at least politically.

Tallis and the High Temple would set the doctrine, tend to the templates and holy sites, debate the esoteric of Theology, and rally forth to destroy the undead.

[insert new NPC here, Tallis' Paladin equivalent] and the Paladin Council would control the enforcement of religious doctrine (smite the heretic!) and the physical defense of the temples and holy site, and the protection of those under their guardianship.

Basically, the Cleric Guild would figure out what needed to be done, and the Paladins would go out and do it. Certainly there would be overlap, but it does offer some distinct guild identities without totally separating them.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:07 AM CDT
<1) I'm not sure how the moderators let this slide, but okay: I'm not sure if you've been stabbed before but it seriously sucks and I would take someone saying they would find me and stab me in the kidneys very seriously and probably aggressively. That's not only a personal attack, that's legally assault. (not battery) Stellar was very merciful, perhaps too much so, in his reaction.

Heh. I've been called a lot of things in the past, but merciful is not one of them until now. He/she is welcome to try (might even get lucky,) but I suspect it was just banter. That said, such banter (feigned or otherwise) really doesn't have a place on these forums. Frankly it doesn't bother me much, but letting one thing slide probably sets a bad precedent. Mods should probably do something about it. What's the policy say about threats?

Anyway, I'd also like to say that I pretty much agree with Caraamon. I don't have anything special to add to it at the moment, though. Not feeling particularly creative tonight. Might be back at it later, though.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:14 AM CDT
I'm assuming from the use of 'gods' he was referring to your character. He also plays a thief. Kidney stabbing is what they do. Way to take things literally. He clearly was not uttering a death threat against you.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:20 AM CDT
Might want to keep the in character stuff in an in-character forum, then ... or at least be a bit more clear. I don't really care either way, honestly.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:58 AM CDT
That wasn't IC. It was meta. (Bonus: It wasn't RP either.)
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 06:29 AM CDT
>>1) I'm not sure how the moderators let this slide, but okay: I'm not sure if you've been stabbed before but it seriously sucks and I would take someone saying they would find me and stab me in the kidneys very seriously and probably aggressively. That's not only a personal attack, that's legally assault. (not battery) Stellar was very merciful, perhaps too much so, in his reaction.

LOL. I mean, seriously? Get over yourself.

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 06:34 AM CDT

Literal or not, I have a very low tolerance of such talk. Its a bad precedent and a slippery slope along with personally offensive. If you've ever seen someone in RL stabbed you I hope you would agree.

I would greatly enjoy roleplaying the social dynamic Caraamon describes. Thanks for that link, too!

I would also like to point out that it should still be possible for a paladin to be 'rogue', like a knight-errant, and lack strict personal connection to the High Temple if he/she so chooses but the baseline should be as Caraamon describes. There could be both pros and cons to going the more independent route.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 06:43 AM CDT
>>Literal or not, I have a very low tolerance of such talk. Its a bad precedent and a slippery slope along with personally offensive.

Ok nancy. See: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Paladins/Paladin%20Suggestions/view/1299

>>If you've ever seen someone in RL stabbed you I hope you would agree.

I've seen someone shot and killed. One of my friends in high school was stabbed to death by her boyfriend. What's your point here exactly? That you can't tell legitimate threats from what are obviously banter/exaggerations? Reel it in.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:01 AM CDT
>>personally offensive.

Double post, but wanted to address this specifically. What you (or any individual poster) find personally offensive is (thank the gods) not the barometer used for what is within or outside of policy. As I understand it, it's what any reasonable person would find offensive.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:22 AM CDT
>Literal or not, I have a very low tolerance of such talk. Its a bad precedent and a slippery slope along with personally offensive. If you've ever seen someone in RL stabbed you I hope you would agree.

That's nice. I'm going to find you and stab you for your disagreement with me.

See, it's generic banter, like the recipient knew, combined with hyperbole. I don't really care what you think, and frankly, playing the I AM SELF RIGHTEOUS AND WHITE KNIGHT card is getting old. No one with two brain cells to rub together thought I was really going to hunt someone down and stab them for something they suggested on a forums for a game that's 20 years old.

It wasn't even in-game, IC, RP, or anything else. It was simply 'I disagree with this suggestion and am going to be humorously hyperbolic in describing it'.

You are not a RL paladin. Please stop acting as though you are. Your self righteousness is, honestly, tiresome, and I very much wish you'd put me on ignore.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:51 AM CDT
<No one with two brain cells to rub together thought I was really going to hunt someone down and stab them for something they suggested on a forums for a game that's 20 years old.

In all fairness, I've seen stupider things happen. Not that I think your "threat" seemed all that serious ... still, I don't know you from Adam and don't really know how smart/stupid you are. Just one of many reaons why these sorts of things just really aren't all that suitable for anonymous forum interaction, at least not in any constructive sense. Not even in humor, really, unless everyone involved knows each other pretty well.

I'm thick skinned and generally pretty laissez-faire (stupid?) even when it comes to real threats, so I don't really care. However, NRAY is correct in that not everyone would take that sort of talk very well. The internet can be a very dark place sometimes.

I don't think this warrants any real action, honestly, except maybe a mod coming in and saying, "Hey you kids, knock that off, someone might take it seriously and cause a big stink."
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 09:42 AM CDT
>In all fairness, I've seen stupider things happen.

So have I, but even accounting for Poe's Law...just use some common sense and some basic user knowledge. It's not like this is the first time you've ever seen me post. So honestly, getting fearful of slamming it into first as 'omg he threatened me!!' is silly. I don't see any way anyone could have possibly taken that seriously, especially in the connotation of the rest of my post.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 09:52 AM CDT
If this thread gets any sillier I'm going to have to bake a cake and deliver to to Annwyl.

Technically, this constitutes a threat, given my ability to cook.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 10:29 AM CDT
>Now, I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit behind on Paladin events, but I can't recall having heard of anything which says the Temple has any control over the Paladin Guild or Paladin Council. On one hand, I can see why this would appeal to the players (why should another guild control mine), but on the other hand, it seems a bit odd that the most powerful religious organization in Elanthia has no control over self-described (currently) holy warriors.

Admittedly, I'm behind on Paladin events too since most or all of them pre-date this character, but I think this largely depends on how seriously they take the Paladin Guild.

There's an undeniable great sort of synergy between a paladin and a cleric right now, which is nice, and I'd enjoy seeing it grow. Still, I think I prefer it if the Cleric Guild remained Hand of the Temple and the Paladin Guild were painted more as the Hand of Secular Law, and I think that's possible with the right interpretation of the lore even though we're the other holy guild. The lines blur a bit when you give the Temple two Hands, even if you fit them with different gloves.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 10:45 AM CDT
To be fair, I always did want to be a super-villain.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 10:56 AM CDT
Annwyl will be expecting her cake now, Teveshzat.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 11:06 AM CDT
Wow. Chill out dude.

Your moral high ground is so elevated I'm surprised you have any oxygen up there.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 11:09 AM CDT
>>To be fair, I always did want to be a super-villain.

Much like being Sheldon Cooper's Arch Enemy, I doubt it will take up too much of your time.

Samsaren
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 11:20 AM CDT
>To be fair, I always did want to be a super-villain.

I've always pictured you as having a good maniacal laugh.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 11:26 AM CDT
>>I've always pictured you as having a good maniacal laugh.

The professor I worked for last year commented favorably on it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 01:51 PM CDT
I have a hard time imagining what Armifer might look like. He has so many different sides to him.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it was a tossup between this...
http://tinyurl.com/n5335hq

And this...
http://tinyurl.com/ptglbln
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 01:54 PM CDT
The first one is closer to the mark.

-Armifer
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 02:04 PM CDT
Goths are people too :)
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 02:30 PM CDT
Ladies, would please take this to conflicts?

--Just a Squire
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 02:33 PM CDT
I like Armifer.

This is not a conflict.

He also happens to be a pretty pony.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 02:48 PM CDT
>You've believed every one of your recent "idea" threads was great and deserved special GM attention, until it was derailed or proven why it was wrong. Usually because it doesn't fit the game, or has been said in the past won't happen for certain reasons.

This wasn't his thread and it was a good discussion. :\ It'd be nice if it ended how it started.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 04:42 PM CDT
<This wasn't his thread and it was a good discussion. :\ It'd be nice if it ended how it started.

Yes please. If I involuntarily roll my eyes any more, I might lose them.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 04:53 PM CDT
Back on track, because I like this:

If you could write the guild from scratch, how would you like to define it?

One random thought was they could be the enforcement arm of the Main Temple, both in secular and holy law.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:11 PM CDT
<If you could write the guild from scratch, how would you like to define it?

I'd write a lot of tension into the guild between service to liege lords (provincial governments) and service to the temple. I'd borrow a lot from Arthurian mythology to inform the overall feel and style of the guild - particularly the turning point in the mythos when Arthur hasn't yet converted everything to Christianity, nor has Camelot been built - when Chivalry and Romance still weren't really things, but the foundations of the ideas were being laid. Essentially, it'd be a guild of noble warriors - the knights who lead the masses of conscripted peasants into battle - tied very closely to the temple both for the support of the mighty organization and because the peasants have a more difficulty time following those who spurn the gods (the practical reasons), regardless of the individual knights actual beliefs. If player characters are the 1% of the 1%, then player Paladins would be the ones who especially concern themselves in the politics/religion of the land. I don't know how possible it'd be to introduce some sort of holdings system into the guild where Paladins of high enough circle could be made responsible for some sort of motte and bailey (while lower circles remain "knights bachelor" or landless knights,) but it's something I'd love to see. Hypothetically, if there ever were an interprovincial war, there would be Paladins on both sides.

The religious ties should not be understated - but I'd make the reasons be primarily that the Temple is so powerful and has so much popular support that to ignore it would be folly for any landed knight. If any individual Paladin wants to be extremely religious, a la Sir Gallahad, that should be very much encouraged.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:14 PM CDT
There's an old Pen and Paper RPG that does a really fantastic job on the topic of knights and religion, I recommend reading through it for some idea fodder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendragon_(role-playing_game)
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:33 PM CDT
From scratch (although it is mostly like what it is).

I like the concept of our soul that was hinted at.. that it is a divine spark perhaps from an All-God and that the 39 seldom interfere (only in minor ways perhaps, allowing us to fix the soul such as The Book, or prayers. Certain powers or abilities granted and what have you). We follow the basic rules of our soul and go about the world in the way we best see fit. The Paladins are usually allies of the Temple, but do not work for the Church, rather we go about our Crusades in ways we see fit. We can favor dark Immortals if we wish, we just need to attend to our souls. There should also be some ramifications to being completely heretical (denying the Immortals, practicing Necromancy etc..) if someone wants to RP a truly fallen Paladin (not just dark). Of course, why be a Paladin if you do not want to RP having that spark and the rules that govern it?

We can be knights-errant, guild-monkeys, fallen, soiled, temple-slaves, long arms of (mortal) laws, light, dark, or anywhere in between.
Just mind the soul, the source of our powers and abilities.

Slightly related - I do not agree that soul hits for being sneaky should be removed. Want to be sneaky? Join another guild or pay the soul costs.

Our abilities and spells should center around helping others, or helping ourselves so we are able to help others. Group abilities, spells, self buffs for combat (defense AND offense), glyphs/faiths/auras available through the higher circles etc.

Just a quick response since I have to leave shortly.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:36 PM CDT
>I'd write a lot of tension into the guild between service to liege lords (provincial governments) and service to the temple.

I disagree; classically knights (which Paladins are based loosely on) were tied to liege lords because they needed massive funding for training and equipping a knight. Plate armor, horses, trained metal smiths and apprentices to get you in, etc. were all expensive. DR's knights are pretty much self equipping; they go forth and slay monsters and gear themselves.

As much as I want to punch myself for this (lolz that's assault! someone ban me!) if you absolutely MUST have some land-based association, I'd liken the guild to more of a samurai relationship, where you can be ronin, or samurai, and swap freely between the two with benefits and draw backs to both. The difference, here, is that in my mind this becomes a much more flexible relationship. If you want to bond yourself to the local Barony, you get some benefits for that, but you also get some draw backs. If you want to stay unaffiliated, then you're golden. It becomes more of a sect system, where you can join X or Y or stay free and remain just as functional.

I think tying players to any sort of RP based aristocracy is a foul and terrible choice, and want to avoid it at all costs. Armifer has stated that the real agency of the guild is the soul.

I'd like to see that expanded, and explained. I'd like to see the code updated. I think dark and neutral paladins should be just as viable as light ones, with a different series of restrictions, benefits, and penalties. I don't think a dark paladin should be a fallen Paladin, or anti Paladin (indeed, I think that is the necromancer in DR), or blackguard. I think they should simply be Paladins who worship dark aspects and behave accordingly, with restrictions similar to those yoked on positive aspect Paladins, but flavor-correct. Maybe they have to train hiding. Or doing so boosts their soul, while tending to orphans wounds would penalize it.

If we're looking at the guild as a function of soul, and the soul as a function of the relationship of the Paladin to a single deity, then I think which deity that is should have a larger impact on the Paladin than even the cleric choice; clerics have to maintain service for all 39/13, at least nominally. Paladins, however, can become crusaders and the embodiment of their chosen deity. A figurehead, an exemplar.

Personally, I rather like ascribing Paladins to a more central 'justice' concept devoid of a specific god (or perhaps glommed on to a non-Chadatru extra-planar entity of justice). But justice comes in many forms, it's not simply the knight parading around in full suit armor. Sometimes it's dirty, underhanded, vicious, black, dark, and in general justice should never be confused with good. Justice is the protection of the weak from the strong. It's vengeance dressed up for a party, it's the gallows grin for a rapist. It's never about good, though sometimes the two coincide.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:36 PM CDT
<I'd write a lot of tension into the guild between service to liege lords (provincial governments) and service to the temple...

Good stuff here as well.

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:39 PM CDT
>Our abilities and spells should center around helping others, or helping ourselves so we are able to help others. Group abilities, spells, self buffs for combat (defense AND offense), glyphs/faiths/auras available through the higher circles etc.

My only hesitation here is that DR is mostly a single player game. I think it would be a really bad design concept to build a guild around exclusively helping people. I could see having it as a secondary effect on most spells, but not really as the core concept of the guild.

Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:39 PM CDT
<I think tying players to any sort of RP based aristocracy is a foul and terrible choice, and want to avoid it at all costs. Armifer has stated that the real agency of the guild is the soul.

This.

And this -

<Personally, I rather like ascribing Paladins to a more central 'justice' concept devoid of a specific god (or perhaps glommed on to a non-Chadatru extra-planar entity of justice). But justice comes in many forms, it's not simply the knight parading around in full suit armor. Sometimes it's dirty, underhanded, vicious, black, dark, and in general justice should never be confused with good. Justice is the protection of the weak from the strong. It's vengeance dressed up for a party, it's the gallows grin for a rapist. It's never about good, though sometimes the two coincide.

~~~
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:47 PM CDT
>>If you could write the guild from scratch, how would you like to define it?

Judge Dredd but with a bible.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 05:50 PM CDT
<My only hesitation here is that DR is mostly a single player game.

I feel like this is something that should be phased out bit by bit. That training is more efficient to do solo vs in a group is, in my opinion, a design oversight and one of the primary problems with the Paladin guild as things stand. DR was an MMO before the term MMO existed, and it'd be nice to see that multiplayer capability really shine. What better guild to do that with than the Paladins' guild?
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 06:10 PM CDT

Javert from Les Miserables is another great example of how someone could RP a "dark" paladin as well.
Re: Thoughts on the Paladin 'theme' 06/26/2014 07:19 PM CDT
>I feel like this is something that should be phased out bit by bit. That training is more efficient to do solo vs in a group is, in my opinion, a design oversight

It's a logistics problem on many levels that I think you're vastly oversimplifying. First is the problem of spam. More people means more text output. DR isn't like graphical engines, you can't convey a complex and constantly changing engine with a simple graphic. You have to pulse it to the front end every time something happens, no matter how minute.

And then there's the exp issue; assume we set up paladins as tanks, nobody else gets defensive exp. How do we bridge that? I can think of a dozen, completely different, ways.

DR hunting as a group simply isn't going to become the norm unless the game changes so completely that it's not DR any more, so building an entire guild around that is bad juju. Plus we've got history of this. Players hate it. Empaths + empathy: they couldn't train it without healing for 10+ years and it sucked. Clerics, corpses, and teaching. Everyone hated teaching. Hated it. People hated having to wait/depend on a cleric, and clerics resented being nothing but glorified corpse monkeys.

I could probably come up with some more, but I stand by my statement that building a guild's core around nothing but group actions and helping other players is a bad design concept. Like I said, make them strong secondary abilities, but the core needs to be individual player solo focused. It's what DR is.