Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 05:04 PM CDT
A title I have which I think falls into the Lore category that's not on your list is "Logarithmancer". In my list it falls between Geometer and Numinist. Maybe that's the unknown lore one.

Aluriaz
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 05:23 PM CDT
>>Sibyl is the female counterpart of Seer (which is now a male-exclusive title).

Is there a reason we have made Seer male only, and still restrict Prophet to males?

I don't understand how the words "seer" (one who sees; one who sees the future) and "prophet" (one who predicts the future) cannot also apply to females. As far as I can tell, they are absolutely gender neutral.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 05:24 PM CDT
>I wouldn't say Enchantress is more advanced exactly. It just has an additional req (beyond "female").

I was quoting Armifer, but nuance noted.

>The missing magic title is mentioned earlier in this folder.

Then that must be Orcris a Ilet Epato Sarbu, which as best I can tell is Gerenshuge for "Master/Mistress of the Four Moons".

>The missing lore title is because I botched up the MM version of the reqs (Amusingly the thief ones look right). I'll let you know when it's fixed up.

Check.

>The missing survival title is Darkling (I only mention it because it was an old title).

Now I see it. Now I just have to figure out which is more odd, how I managed to skip over it or how Kougen doesn't have it himself. I'm guessing it requires Darkness.

>Psychokinetic's reqs are not necessarily the same as the title it replaced.

Now you're just messing with me.

>The missing combat title isn't super high, but I'm not terribly surprised it's unaccounted for.

Confirmed for messing with me.

~ Kougen

Vorasus says, "There will be blood."

Vorasus drinks your milkshake.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 05:28 PM CDT
>A title I have which I think falls into the Lore category that's not on your list is "Logarithmancer". In my list it falls between Geometer and Numinist. Maybe that's the unknown lore one.

Another one I missed in Miir's list that Kougen should probably have but doesn't. Thanks and added.

~ Kougen

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 05:51 PM CDT
Logarithmancer is the bugged title. I have a fix ready but it hasn't gone live yet.

Basically one of the requirements is currently x4 higher than it should be. My bad.

-Raesh
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 05:56 PM CDT
>>Is there a reason we have made Seer male only, and still restrict Prophet to males?

It's sorta a touchy area. Some people like the male/female versions, some don't. However the male versions tend to be the gender neutral variants, so you end up with females having more title options than males.

Think of it as a compromise. A very small number of titles are gender split for people who like that sort of thing (Sibyl was specifically requested in this folder as a female variant of Seer for example). Most of them are not.

Enchantress is the exception here since the male variant "Enchanter" was removed for what should be fairly obvious reasons, but it was requested that Enchantress remain since an "Enchantress" carries a double meaning, one of which remains valid as a Moon Mage exclusive title.

-Raesh
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 06:32 PM CDT
I had a message posted, but Deleted it not because it was offensive. But simply because I know myself better and any retort against it would degenerate into ragemode because its a rather nasty pet peeve of mine with titles.

Simply posting to get rid of the phantom post that pops up.

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 06:54 PM CDT
>>Think of it as a compromise.

So the design decision is to have an equal number of gender-only titles for each gender, and in order to accomplish that, women have been excluded from two gender-neutral words? I'm just making sure I understand.

If that is the case, I disagree with the decision.

I can't really explain it other than to say I feel insulted that I'm not allowed to use words that apply to my character in every sense. I would rather give up the female-only variants if equality is required than lose my right to use titles that should apply. Especially given that Seer and Prophet are such basic descriptions of what a future-seeing person is.

I understand that it's not a purposefully derogatory exclusion, just wanting to give you some honest feedback.

Just out of curiosity, since I've never seen it posted, are there a significant number of players of male characters who are upset by females getting a few more titles?
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 07:29 PM CDT
Unfortunately, the way the world works is that any male-specific title will be claimed as gender-neutral (and often enough accurately -- except specific titles have been invented to pervert that original neutrality).

C'est la vie? Gender differentiation in titles is a constant source of disquiet for some players, and there is precisely nothing that can be done to please everybody.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 07:29 PM CDT
>Just out of curiosity, since I've never seen it posted, are there a significant number of players of male characters who are upset by females getting a few more titles?

I'm still mildly boggled by the Enchantress decision even though I understand the explanation, but I'm not about to throw a hissy fit over "only" getting access to 152 potential titles versus 153.

This isn't new anyway. Females get 33% more titles in the Magic category and always have.

~ Kougen

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 08:22 PM CDT
occultist requires one spell from the stellar spellbook, and fatebound has much higher reqs, i dont have it. but i do have fatalist.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 08:32 PM CDT
i gotta put in that i don't like the idea of prophet and seer being male only.
a woman can be a prophet, or a seer -- as much as a man can.

pupil and lucky have very low reqs. i got them on a newly made MM.

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 09:36 PM CDT
>>a woman can be a prophet, or a seer -- as much as a man can.

But can a man be a prophetess and a sibyl just as much as any woman?

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 10:08 PM CDT
In the very near future (ie: As soon as a few switches behind the scenes can be flipped) the following changes will be made:

1) Logarithmancer will have the correct requirements
2) The Prophetess title will die. Note that Prophet was already not male restricted.
3) Entraller's requirements have been synced with Enchantress and made male only.

-Raesh
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 10:10 PM CDT
Welcome to English, where nothing is ever right.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 10:25 PM CDT
Good job guys, glad we got that super important issue taken care of.

Now, how about those reqs? Only having the stats of one person 50 circles below me actually doesn't help that much.

~ Kougen

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 10:28 PM CDT
<<Now, how about those reqs? Only having the stats of one person 50 circles below me actually doesn't help that much.

Are you setting something up to figure out the reqs? If so I can send you my moonies stats and ranks.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 10:34 PM CDT
Kougen, I tried to send an email to your play.net address and it bounced.

Just thoughtcast Zreon in-game if you want me to get you his title related info.

__
* Sahfra was just struck down!
Tachid smugly says, "I'm telling Lyras. We should replace you.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 11:02 PM CDT
As a side note, prophet takes less than 300 astrology currently.

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 11:09 PM CDT
>Kougen, I tried to send an email to your play.net address and it bounced.

Now why doesn't that happen to the spam?

Try again once or twice if you don't mind. It WILL work.

>Are you setting something up to figure out the reqs? If so I can send you my moonies stats and ranks.

Right now I'm just using my eyes and a text file. If I got enough info I might consider a spreadsheet, but nailing requirements is going to be more a matter of people reporting back "I did X and got title Y" unless I get some really narrow ranges from people with different title lists or a LOT of samples.

~ Kougen

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 11:29 PM CDT
An additional note:

If you have most of the spells, please list what spells you DON'T have in their own spot. This helps a ton.

~ Kougen

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 11:50 PM CDT
yeh least im tryin though =p btw i dont have DO,TV, riftal summons, crystal spike, darkness, shadow web, shape moonblade(though i do have it invoked), IOE, RF, im in the middle of getting shadewatch mirror. and then ill have 1 slot left. any suggestions anyone?
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 11:53 PM CDT
Oops, I forgot the spells.

I don't have DO, Darkness, Whole Displacement, Ripple, Riftal summons, Tangled Fate, SET.

__
* Sahfra was just struck down!
Tachid smugly says, "I'm telling Lyras. We should replace you.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/26/2010 11:54 PM CDT
If I could unlearn any spell I have it would be shadewatch mirror.

I find starlight sphere to be infintively more useful than shadewatch mirror.

If you have clarify gem already, you might as well get crystal spike.

If you don't have clarify gem already, get TV or If you have about 450+ pm than get IOE.

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 05:47 AM CDT
>>Unfortunately, the way the world works is that any male-specific title will be claimed as gender-neutral (and often enough accurately -- except specific titles have been invented to pervert that original neutrality).

So? I'm curious about why equality in number of titles is so important. Are people really upset that English has evolved more female-specific words?

>>C'est la vie?

Women also earn less than men for the same job. That's life. But if you have the power to change it, please do.

>>Gender differentiation in titles is a constant source of disquiet for some players, and there is precisely nothing that can be done to please everybody.

I understand that some people will be upset either way. The question is, how many, and to what degree? The way I see it, one way reflects proper English and happens to result in more female titles. The other way involves a situation where women are deliberately removed from using titles that do actually apply to them. I am simply arguing that the latter is the more hurtful.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 06:44 AM CDT
This title 9 stuff is tearing us apart give them what they want or we'll have to start doing our own dishes (telekinetically)

-Strk
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 09:37 AM CDT
>The way I see it, one way reflects proper English and happens to result in more female titles. The other way involves a situation where women are deliberately removed from using titles that do actually apply to them. I am simply arguing that the latter is the more hurtful.

Are you serious?

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 10:24 AM CDT
>>I understand that some people will be upset either way. The question is, how many, and to what degree? The way I see it, one way reflects proper English and happens to result in more female titles. The other way involves a situation where women are deliberately removed from using titles that do actually apply to them. I am simply arguing that the latter is the more hurtful.

All the female titles can be removed and you can have just the "gender neutral" male titles, I'm sure.

Or we can end Elanthia's gender equality, and there can be dozens of extra female-only titles in exchange for patriarchal subservience.

Neither of these sound particularly great to you? I agree, which is why I'm pretty sure we ended up here in the middle ground, where there are an equal number of gender-specific titles.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 10:49 AM CDT
>>I understand that some people will be upset either way. The question is, how many, and to what degree? The way I see it, one way reflects proper English and happens to result in more female titles. The other way involves a situation where women are deliberately removed from using titles that do actually apply to them. I am simply arguing that the latter is the more hurtful.

You really, really need to know what your talking about before you respond. A lot of "gender neutral" male titles are actually exclusively, by definition and proper English, male only. It is only because in modern day we use to term to take in account women so that people don't get uppity about it. But it is a misnomer, you are essentially calling a woman something that is meant only for a man. One example is the title Knight, which by definition is a male only title. There is no such thing as a female Knight, they do not exist. Yet females are privy to the title, this is not evolution of the English language it is video games breaking the language to have a semblance of equality.

Which by the way, equality means equality, equality does not mean one specific gender gets more than the other.

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 11:46 AM CDT
>>All the female titles can be removed and you can have just the "gender neutral" male titles, I'm sure.

>>Or we can end Elanthia's gender equality, and there can be dozens of extra female-only titles

I'd be okay with either of these. Or with opening up all titles to everyone. Enchantress Kougen...? In all seriousness, I think that may be the best solution -- everyone gets whatever title they want. If you really want to play a male Enchantress or a female Warlock, you can. The same as a male character can wear a skirt if he wants. I dunno though, maybe people think this would lead to too much silliness.

>>A lot of "gender neutral" male titles are actually exclusively, by definition and proper English, male only.

This is a good point. We did indeed evolve a male-dominant society, and much of that was reflected in our language -- Knight was a male title because women simply weren't allowed to be knights. I suppose the difference is that we've been trying to open up words to both genders, which is inclusive. Restricting words like Seer to males is exclusive.

At the end of the day, yes, it's kind of a small deal. But I do think that this principle of inclusion is an important one, and should be reflected even in the little stuff.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 12:07 PM CDT
>>Just out of curiosity, since I've never seen it posted, are there a significant number of players of male characters who are upset by females getting a few more titles?

>>At the end of the day, yes, it's kind of a small deal. But I do think that this principle of inclusion is an important one, and should be reflected even in the little stuff.

By your own words earlier in the thread, you imply no desire in equality or inclusiveness at all, you merely want a title. Trying to turn this into social commentary makes you appear hypocritical and foolish. Step off.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 12:23 PM CDT
This might get the award for the most idiotic argument on play.net They're never going to be able to please everyone. They made a decision, let it go.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 12:29 PM CDT
The aforementioned changed are now live.

I suppose it doesn't much matter at this point, but Aleph-One - you realize Prophet was never gender limited right? The only reason Prophetess had existed was legacy reasons.

As for Seer/Sibyl - again, that was the direct result of player requests. See http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=24&topic=21&message=985 and the thread that follows.

The only other title I included with a gender variant was Master/Mistress of Shadows, which is somewhat of a traditional split in the title system. Interestingly Master of Fate is not split that way. I believe that was due to how they were requested, though in a quick skim I couldn't find the exact post.

-Raesh
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 12:50 PM CDT
>Y'Shai Aspirant

Add in 1000 TM as a req. I think that's all I'm missing. Also, Alda Remoren is probably 1000 scholarship exactly, as I have it with 1015. Similarly, Alda Pelan is most likely 1000 astrology, as I have it with 1059. I should note that I had neither title before the rewrite, some part of the reqs was reduced at that time.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 02:56 PM CDT
>>By your own words earlier in the thread, you imply no desire in equality or inclusiveness at all,

I said I thought that an inequality in number of titles was less hurtful than an inequality in, for lack of a better term, inclusiveness. I fully realize that both situations are not ideal; I was just trying to argue that one situation is better than the other.

If anyone had argued to me that it is more hurtful to have an inequality in number of titles, then I'd happily step down. As it was, I asked about it and no one (except Kougen) mentioned anything about being unhappy. Granted, maybe that discussion took place in the past -- being ignorant of it, I asked.

>>you merely want a title. Trying to turn this into social commentary makes you appear hypocritical and foolish.

You know, Armifer, I'm surprised at you. I really like your posts and find them thoughtful and interesting. Yes, a title would be nice, but I happen to be a philosopher and I mainly wanted the opportunity to discuss it. I'm frankly a little confused about why people are acting hostile.

Anyway, like I said, in the end it's a pretty small deal and I didn't mean to make anyone upset, so consider it dropped.

>>I suppose it doesn't much matter at this point, but Aleph-One - you realize Prophet was never gender limited right?

Thanks, I didn't know about this.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 03:19 PM CDT
"I'm frankly a little confused about why people are acting hostile."

I'm not attacking you here. I'm replying in good faith to your confusion.

The perception that I have gotten from your posts is that you're petulantly arguing against a decision that has already been made for the sake of arguing.

It also feels like in this arguing you're attempting to assign a higher level of importance to the subject than it warrants. An example of this would be word choices like "hurtful". The word is loaded and inappropriate for the conversation.

I think because of that perception, or similar perceptions, people are taking your posts as disingenuous or at least extremely over sensitive and so are dismissing what you have to say.

Or they just don't like you. Welcome to the simu boards.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 03:54 PM CDT
>>Serc

Fair enough. Thanks for your feedback.
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 03:57 PM CDT
I was inclined toward viewing the language as extremely disingenuous -- implying in the first post I quoted that a gender inbalance was OK as long as it benefited you, then arguing in posts immediately afterward about inclusiveness.

I am also inclined to realize everyone has buttons and one argument does not make a human being. There's no harm in what happened, but there's zero merit in going forward with the discussion either.

-Armifer
Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 04:29 PM CDT
personally i think a person should be able to wear whichever title they want, male or female.

and warlock is a good example of this.

I wear that title currently with my female s'kra necromancer. And I think that's how it should be.

Because having to get yourself shifted just to achieve a certain title you want is just silly. <as formerly was the case with the gladiator title>

I'd get rid of the "mistress" titles, too. If you have "mastered" a skill, you have "mastery" over it - whether you are male or female, Therefore you are a "master".

in elanthia, we use the "common" language, which is american english, because thats where the game developers stems from. However, Elanthia has no history of any gender inferiority. Lets keep it like that, utilizing Elanthean history rather than Earth history as our guide. In fact, many "movers and shakers" of Elanthea have been decidedly female. <Dzree,Lyras,Morganae, etc>.

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

Re: Moon Mage titles 07/27/2010 04:38 PM CDT
<<In fact, many "movers and shakers" of Elanthea have been decidedly female. <Dzree,Lyras,Morganae, etc>.>>

No more than have been male.

This is not a discussion tangent that really needs to continue.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412