Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
War Stomp 05/21/2003 02:37 PM CDT
Anything to update?

~Ternith Sjomah

When I grow up I want to be just like Elmo. I want to have a great smile, a cheerful attitude, and a 6 inch wide tounge.
Re: War Stomp 05/21/2003 02:41 PM CDT
Nope.

GM Jaedren
Events Team &
Team Barbarian
Interim Liaison
Re: War Stomp 05/21/2003 10:30 PM CDT
>>Nope.

Well come on sucka...err boss

~Ternith Sjomah

When I grow up I want to be just like Elmo. I want to have a great smile, a cheerful attitude, and a 6 inch wide tounge.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/25/2003 04:58 PM CDT
<<Yes, it takes down balance. But nothing else.

Correct.

GM Jaedren>>

So to sum it up; It's working as intended. Melee only, balance only and no upper level effects of it. This while draining inner fire.

I'm sorry if my posts had a negative tone, but I had my hopes up for something really powerful. Though, maybe someone can find a use I have not. Please post if you do.

~ Kai
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/25/2003 05:17 PM CDT
>>So to sum it up; It's working as intended. Melee only,<<

Not to be obvious, but:

>>>>With quite a bit of testing I've found that it only works at melee

No.<<

Veldehar

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/25/2003 05:34 PM CDT
As a follow up:

A white flame fills your vision as you summon forth every ounce of energy you can spare. All of your battle rage, all of your hate, all of your joy -- everything you think and feel makes the flame burn brighter. Bending every fiber of your being to the War Stomp, you drop to your knees, slamming the base of your scimitar to the ground with a singular vision of your enemies falling before you.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
You stand back up.
The ground underfoot a revenant zombie shakes with the fury of your strike, forcing it to adjust its footing.
>assess
You assess your combat situation...

A revenant zombie (2: very badly balanced) is advancing on you at pole weapon range.
You (solidly balanced) are facing a revenant zombie (2) at pole weapon range.

This is an enormous stomp. Light works very nicely at melee, tho not to the point of very badly. Didn't try heavy stomp for this short test.

Veldehar
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/25/2003 06:05 PM CDT
<<Not to be obvious, but:>>

Ok, so it works at pole when using enormous stomp. Still have to be engaged and half advanced. Enormous uses enormous amounts of inner fire.

I'll test some more to see if I can figure out just how much inner fire they use compared to some dances.

~ Kai
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/25/2003 07:19 PM CDT
<<Sounds to me as if the stomp is more powerful than the roar. But i'd still like to see the stomp producea TC like stun, throw them off their feet, pull from hiding, ect. As is, I won't even touch the stomp when i'm 100th because i'll have enough charisma that the stomp will be obsolete.>>

Judging by the fact that it seems to have the same effect on rats - giants, it sounds like the ability has very few skill or stat checks. It sounds like it just plain works, always. If more was added to it, like stuns, pulling from hiding, knocking people down, etc. that would probably have to change.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/25/2003 07:23 PM CDT
I will disagree with your statement that it uses "enormous" amounts of inner fire. It is hefty, granted, but when not dancing the inner fire replenishes quickly. A judicious use of various sized stomps is a powerful tool. I am not one for using abilities to a high degree, outside of dances for MO and general safety, but as I see it, the war stomp would be most effective as part of the arsenal while not dancing. Its fire hit is prohibitive when using dragon, so I see it being most useful in conjunction with roars. Stomping and roaring as a disciplined combat regimine can still leave the barbarian with the final "out" of berserk if stunned, the one weakness of dances. It is also a good consideration for bow hunting. Greater Skeletons as a prime example, these critters just love to charge from pole while yer aiming at them. Something as simple as a light or heavy stomp at melee will set them off balance, making their charge less effective and making them easier targets. I haven't chosen any roars yet, and wasn't around enough to really experiment with them as part of that technique, but having given this thought I will certainly put it to the test next time I am out there, most likely tomorrow. For melee consideration, even a light stomp has proven effective for gaining an edge on multiple foes. Is it the equiv of the hour+ dragon dances? No. But it is useful.

Veldehar
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 08:28 AM CDT
Bonuses to primary skills together with the millions great ideas folks have posted throughout the year would never get boring. Instead of making bunch of berserks roars, silly stomps we could have been already wielding two weapons simultanously, as in barb only not like it's going to turn out having all guilds do it. We could have had abilities such as tumbling, when advancing or retreating from combat that many have posted. Why were all the ideas we've posted throughout the years englected and our current ones taken watered down so that there was more option? We really haven't gotten anything new we just took what really wasn't broken and expanded with a downteak to it. Barbs aren't magical we should have down to earth abilities, not making things that many agree are starting to seem magical in nature. I petition old ideas in archives are re examined and considered. Tumbling, dual blade wielding, suggestions for us attacking all creatures engaged at melee with a longer rt attack, somewhat unbalancing us and taking inner fire or fatigue lost do to the concentration and effort exerted that is needed for such a technique is the route we should have taken long ago. I'm not even going to bother with this thread after this post because it would simply be ignor like it has been in the past.

Catullus

http://www.legends-end.com/Tourney/LE-DR-FBC.htm
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 10:07 AM CDT
Dual wielding is already in development. IIRC tumbling was vetoed. Shield bash is in development and while not a "Barb only" release will be something that greatly aids us.

>>We really haven't gotten anything new
>>Why were all the ideas we've posted throughout the years englected

I know you're in "bitter mode" but this statement is simply not true. Using roars as an example since that seems to have particularly gotten your goat, as a barbarian I never had a way to make someone drop a weapon or get unbalanced other than hitting them repeatedly with my weapon. I now have ways to do that which did not exist before. That's new. Some other examples over the last year or two:

* Dual-loading is new.
* Parrying bows is new.
* Getting extra percentage bonuses to STANCE every 10 circles is new.
* Berserking out of stuns is new.
* Reduced RT loading an arrow from a quiver.

There are many more I am leaving out, but that's enough to disprove your statement that "we haven't really gotten anything new". Feel free to hate everything developed for the guild in the last three years, but making statements that are simply factually untrue does not help your argument. I suspsect someone will retort with "But these aren't all BARB ONLY abilities we have to SHARE them with one or two other guilds!" I have no patience for that kind of selfishness. If it's something I can do that I couldn't do before, it's a new ability for me. Period.

If you don't want to use the abilities, if you feel they are not in character for your character, then do not choose or use them and your life will continue pretty much like before (choosing the roars that most closely approximate the roars you had before). That's a perfectly valid RP choice. Before, it was NOT a choice because we didn't have the range of abilities. Now we do, so those who do NOT want to RP their character your way have another option.

This is the best damn guild in the game. Other guilds drool to be us. It's gotten consistently better since I joined up and has seen some great development. We do combat better than anyone, in a wider range of locales than anyone, with a wider array of tools than anyone, while looking better doing it than anyone else in the game.

Bottom line, we rule.

~ Nutawa
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 10:15 AM CDT
<<Bottom line, we rule.>>

Damn straight, betta recognize! We are all that and a bag of chips. Mmm.. Ruffles potato chips. <starts gnawing on his arm> I uh, HI!

Signed by,

Ruffles Scourge of the Seas
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 10:20 AM CDT
Nutawa I'm trying my best to not be negative, no my apologies. I'll be posting some combat manuever techniques shortly after we take this test which will be in 15 minutes from this post. Although, yes some new stuff have come up we have shared all those abilities you just posted.

Dual Loading share with rangers and they do it better than we do being they can continiously dual load since it just takes 3 seconds to cast the spell. Also they can snipe so really all around better than us.

Parrying Bow's shared with paladins.

Getting extra percentage stands points again share it with pallies equally as well as with half effeciency with Warrior Mages.

Reduced Loading Time, again shared by the rest of the realms.

Only one is coming out of stun with berserk and that's because we're the only ones that can berserk.

Catullus

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 10:28 AM CDT
Ok, so we share a lot of things. But, that doesn't mean we don't have abilities at our disposal, Catallus.

Must.. wreak... havoc.. <twitches>

Signed by,

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 02:57 PM CDT
Your right Ruffles, but the kid has a point. A big valid point. Do we share everything with the rest of the realms because we're the only ones weapons as our primaries? We have 4 skills and 1 action thats Guild specific for us. Berserk, Roaring, Dancing, Stomping, and break neck. I agree, all are powerful and the fact we have 6 dances, 22 roars is even better. But, as was stated either on our boards or some where else.. we're still lacking. We cannont do anything "better" with a weapon that another guild can't do given time. We have no bonus to using weapons, with no clear explanation why when every other guild gets a bonus to their sets. Yes, we can now parry bows (expect no one is ever at melee shooting or even at pole), yes we can dual load and hit hits like a truck (but it's shared).

We have very powerful tools at our disposal, that's the question. The question is why do so many other guilds have so many other perks to their guild other than "i can have the most magic in the realms" and they continously get new stuff they excel at that other guilds don't get (sniping is a prime exmample here). Yet, we get more of the same stuff added (roars, dances, zerks). I love what we have, I think we use it great, but I think we're lacking in overall guild abilities/perks compared to even the trader guild.

Methan

Solomon: A man that makes vague even seem descriptive.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 04:25 PM CDT
Well, if you compare your guild to another guild, then your asking for trouble. Just continue develop ideas based on necessity and "does this make sense for the Barbarian Guild to have?" If you want to discuss why we should have a weapon's bonus to using weapons (aside from our learning rate, which is our due to our skillset), then start a discussion on that in the main folder.

Signed by,

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 06:47 PM CDT
<<We really haven't gotten anything new we just took what really wasn't broken and expanded with a downteak to it. >>

Except a lot of things were broken. Like roars. They were due for a downtweak with or without expansion. By 50th any barb could roar anyone out of hiding regardless of stat differences. That was broken.

<<Dual Loading share with rangers and they do it better than we do being they can continiously dual load since it just takes 3 seconds to cast the spell. Also they can snipe so really all around better than us.>>

As they should be.

<<We have no bonus to using weapons, with no clear explanation why when every other guild gets a bonus to their sets. >>

Uh, not really. There's no bonus to magic for being a cleric, WM, or MM. The closest thing will be aethereal pathways for WMs.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 08:32 PM CDT
Actually, scratch that. Aethereal pathways won't be even remotely close. The only two classes that get a passive skill bonus to an entire set are thieves and rangers. Pretty far from "every other guild".
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 10:43 PM CDT
A) Rangers bonus to survival because its their primary skill set.
B) Thieves bonus to survival because its their primary skill set.
C) Paladins bonus to armor because its their primary skil set.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "best magic in realms", maybe "best survival". Magic is a crutch and they don't carry a bonus. Yet everything we share combat wise with another guild, is in the above, ABC.

Methan

Solomon: A man that makes vague even seem descriptive.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/26/2003 11:32 PM CDT
What you said, and what I quoted, was, "Every other guild gets a bonus to their sets." This is false. Exactly 3 out of them do - quite far from every other guild.

<<Yet everything we share combat wise with another guild, is in the above, ABC.>>

So? You get more exclusive abilities than probably any other guild out there.

Dances, stomp, BMR, roars, berserk(s), neck break. Last I heard, Dragon dance was the single largest boosting ability in the game. BMR is far and away the best magic avoidance ability in the game (especially while dancing).

Compare to, say, warmages:
Spells (we'll call this unique just because the spells themselves are)
Familiars
Aethereal pathways

Want new abilities? Fine. But I found the statement that barbs are lacking as a guild compared to any other guild in the game utterly hillarious. Bards, WMs, Traders, Clerics, Empaths, and, yes, probably paladins as well all have it worse than you. Probably thieves as well. I'd say barbs are easily the second or third most developed guild in the game, after rangers and moonmages.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 03:38 AM CDT
>>Last I heard, Dragon dance was the single largest boosting ability in the game.

Best *stand alone* ability, it can be topped by stacking separate boosting spells.

>>BMR is far and away the best magic avoidance ability in the game (especially while dancing).

Not complaining, because I do love it, but don't you mean "only while dancing?"

-Steinn-
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 05:49 AM CDT
<<Best *stand alone* ability, it can be topped by stacking separate boosting spells.>>

I don't think any one class can top it with their own spells. Seperate spells from seperate professions, maybe. It would take a ton of seperate spells to duplicate all of the bonuses dragon dance gives.

<<Not complaining, because I do love it, but don't you mean "only while dancing?">>

Uh..nope. The mere presence of it puts you leaps and bounds above anyone else in the resistance category. It works against EVERY type of spell and is significantly stronger - even without a dance - than the resistance of any other class. It's the best passive resistance in the game. With a dance, it's the best active resistance in the game.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 08:36 AM CDT
Uh..nope. The mere presence of it puts you leaps and bounds above anyone else in the resistance category. It works against EVERY type of spell and is significantly stronger - even without a dance - than the resistance of any other class. It's the best passive resistance in the game. With a dance, it's the best active resistance in the game.

The above quote is incorrect.

Quite often spells do not even check against BMR. My IG wife (WM) has tested everyone of her beneficial spells on my character and not 1 of them is resisted. Even while dancing.

The Big Ugly One

Its all a matter of how you look at it. Some people say assassins are the elite of the elite because you never see them.. and they always win. -Dusk
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 09:07 AM CDT
>Quite often spells do not even check against BMR. My IG wife (WM) has tested everyone of her beneficial spells on my character and not 1 of them is resisted. Even while dancing.

If you didn't do that barbie scowling and whimpering, when she was casting them on you, you resisted some of it. Every spell cast on you has checks against BMR.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 11:09 AM CDT
Let's get the thread back on track and stop focusing on one line that Methan said. Stop screwing around and answer the question(s):

Do you think Barbarians should have some sort of bonus to wielding weapons? Or is the fact that we have a primary weapon's skill set good enough? Why or why not?

Signed by,

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 11:49 AM CDT
>>Do you think Barbarians should have some sort of bonus to wielding weapons? Or is the fact that we have a primary weapon's skill set good enough? Why or why not?

That's a very difficult question to answer Ruffles. On the one hand, you have the fact that barbarians are the ONLY guild with weapons as their primary skillset. This alone ensures that there will never, ever, be ANYONE who can compare to a barbarian in weapon ranks alone. Someone who spends 8 hours a day hunting as a paladin and someone who spends 8 hours a day hunting as a barbarian for one year will have over a 100 rank difference in their weapon skills. That, alone, is a very powerful tool. Consider that to be a "bonus" on it's own, although not in the DR sense of the word.

However, it really doesn't seem fair to NOT give a bonus to barbarians and weapons, simply because it is what they do. Plain and simple, wielding weapons is what the guild is all about. And because of that mastery that every barbarian who has ever joined the guild is forced to display, I don't think anyone can argue that there isn't a logical reason for them to have that innate bonus.

Personally, I feel that unless all the guilds get bonuses to their primary skillsets, that the decision is one that should be left up to the GM in charge as to whether or not a specific guild should get bonuses to their skillset. Thus far, it is only three guilds that get actual "bonuses" to their primary skillset, and there are vastly more guilds available. So I would personally have to vote for a "no" on the bonus issue at this time.

That being said, however, I would not be opposed if such a bonus were put in...I just don't think that it is a vital ability that should be coded.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

"Resist. Unlearn. Defy." - Incubus
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 11:57 AM CDT
One sec, gonna crosspost that question in the main folder.

Signed by,

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 03:21 PM CDT
<<Quite often spells do not even check against BMR. My IG wife (WM) has tested everyone of her beneficial spells on my character and not 1 of them is resisted. Even while dancing.>>

Please familiarize yourself with the magic and magic resistance mechanics before presuming to say I'm wrong.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 03:45 PM CDT
>>Do you think Barbarians should have some sort of bonus to wielding weapons?

Umm I may be wrong but like long ago I seem to recall that barbs got a bonus to hitting body parts with weapons if Im not mistaken? So technically you do have a bonus to weapons.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 03:45 PM CDT
>Umm I may be wrong but like long ago I seem to recall that barbs got a bonus to hitting body parts with weapons if Im not mistaken? So technically you do have a bonus to weapons.

I'm 99% sure you're mistaken.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/27/2003 04:36 PM CDT
>>Umm I may be wrong but like long ago I seem to recall that barbs got a bonus to hitting body parts with weapons if Im not mistaken? So technically you do have a bonus to weapons.

And I'm 100% sure. ;)

-Steinn-
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 09:49 AM CDT
Let me add clerics indeed do have a bonus, it's on PP if your at max favor with god. My wife is a cleric and she can see far more mana than my empath even though my empath has more PP then her. Word was just put out that warmies, and I play a warmie too. That they will get abilities to focus on books of magic to increase their powers within that element.

War Hawk Catullus the half ranger

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 09:53 AM CDT
That's very untrue buddy. 60th warmie can spell up with SW/YS/SF and surpass any dance. I have enough blade to cut my friend in half yet when he spells up even while I'm dancing my strongest dance he can just stand there and prep spells while I attack with a sabre forged capped and miss him completely for 1 full minute. If he spells down I can kill him quickly.

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 10:15 AM CDT
I assure you that SW, YS, and SF come no where near close to boosting what dragon dance does. For starters, those are exclusively defensive boosts, whereas dragon dance includes offensive boosts.

Maybe your warmage buddy is just better than you.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 10:39 AM CDT
Uh, which part did you not understand how I can drop him quickly if he's not spelled up? I outclass him in every commbat skill.

Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 11:01 AM CDT
Warmies don't need an offensive boosting spell, if they are at a decent level they'll have a few spells that can make quick work of a barb at their level.

Tulkas

Time Development Points: 1337
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail64.html
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 11:32 AM CDT
Uh, which part did you not understand how I can drop him quickly if he's not spelled up? I outclass him in every commbat skill.

This is entirely correct. See it day in and day out with my IG wife. Severely out rank her in defense skills yet once she spells up the critters that put a hurting on me cant touch her.

The Big Ugly One

Its all a matter of how you look at it. Some people say assassins are the elite of the elite because you never see them.. and they always win. -Dusk
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 11:54 AM CDT
Trust me, those three spells don't come anywhere near doing what dragon dance does. To emulate DD would require those three + Psy + Aether cloak and probably several other abilities as well.

<<Warmies don't need an offensive boosting spell, if they are at a decent level they'll have a few spells that can make quick work of a barb at their level.>>

That's not the point. He's comparing 3 seperate spells that do very limited, specific things to a single ability which covers a vast variety of boosts.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 12:29 PM CDT
Also...Whether or not he's better than you is dependant on a lot more than base ranks. If he, using all his abilities, can slap you down without issue while you're using all your abilities, and you can't do squat to him in the same situation - he's better than you.

A WM with 300 evasion is virtually always better than a Barb with 300 evasion. Just how it works out.
Re: Some questions about War Stomp (100th ability) 09/30/2003 04:15 PM CDT
>>That's not the point. He's comparing 3 seperate spells that do very limited, specific things to a single ability which covers a vast variety of boosts.

Yes, but those three spells do their thing much better than Dragon does its thing. Dragon is not the be all end all of combat boosts any longer.

-Steinn-
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5