Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 02:42 PM CDT
Appreciate the hint. I'll see what I can do.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 02:44 PM CDT
<<A small, cruel smile appears on Iayn's face. Deliberately raising his mattock high and bringing it crashing down to the ground, he unleashes the full power of the War Stomp.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 03:41 PM CDT
I think I figured it out. I'm doing some tests to see what it actually does.

Iayn had given me the 3rd POV, which is cool. That's all I needed.

Going to give a spoiler here and it'll be posted on Phii's site whenever I see her on IMs. Anywho, feel free to skip this part of the post if you don't want to see answers revealed (which is cool by me).

This is what I see:

>stomp mammoth
Destruction. Chaos. Blood. Drathrok taught you how to channel your inner fire to bring catastrophe to your enemies. With a focused warrior spirit, none can stand before you. You lash your foot at the ground with knowledge that your victory is assured.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 03:44 PM CDT
IF hit?

Results?

I am --- Navak
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 05:24 PM CDT
Yeah, I'm doing that now. The inner fire issue is OK (compared to what it used to be, thanks to Iayn's change a while ago with war stomp). It is very comparable to stomp enormous in terms of IF usage. My belief is that all of these inner fire sappings are static in numerical value. (I'll verify this in a day or so, just need to find some 100+ Barbarians in Prime or TF that are willing to help). Meaning, every single Barbarian that is 100th and over and that has learned the War Stomp ability will get the same inner fire sapping per each of these techniques. Also, I'm not gonna repeat what I've already mentioned about war stomps and what each one does because I already listed that on Phii's page (check the war stomp section).

Note that level 1 inner fire means full inner fire. For reference of how I'm explaining this, check out: Http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/InnerFire.html

Stomp Light:

Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of beautiful flames extending nearly twice your height above your body.
You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut. (Level 2 inner fire)

Stomp Heavy:

Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of beautiful flames extending a little more than one and half times your height above your body.
You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut. (Level 3 inner fire)

Stomp Enormous:

Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of flames that extends over your height again above you.
You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut. (Level 4 inner fire)

Stomp Mammoth:

Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of flames that extends nearly your full height again above you.
You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut. (Level 5 inner fire)

I'll explain what stomp mammoth does from my extremely brief bit of testing. So far, it seems to impact the balance of any opponent at pole and melee range (same as stomp enormous technique). Basically, it is one more inner fire level used up compared to stomp enormous.

I'm really focusing more on the affects of stomp mammoth and how they might differ from stomp enormous. I've tried it on hiders at pole range and melee range, but that didn't knock them out of hiding. Tried it while facing (and the opponent facing) at missile range to see if it affected balance but it doesn't seem to. Perhaps it is better in certain situation as opposed to using stomp enormous, but I'll try to tinker more with it later on.

My hypothesis for the moment is that stomp mammoth technique gives the opponent a 5 to 6 second roundtime if they are affected at melee or pole range, along with them being extremely imbalanced (if they within those two ranges). There could be other benefits to using stomp mammoth as opposed to stomp enormous, but we'll see.

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.

=)

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 06:22 PM CDT
Updated the results here:

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/WarStomp.html

Erin did a great job, as always since the site looks suuuhweet. Gonna do a few more tests tonight or tomorrow and hopefully I can understand enough of the ability to fully give my thoughts on it.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 07:11 PM CDT
>>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.

Did we ever get told what that means? I know I've had it happen a few times...

Is it just fluff or what?

Hmmmm, I can't remember if Jaedren posted that stomp along with fighting mammoths for a reason or not. Not that many mammoths running around to test it.

I am --- Navak
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 08:38 PM CDT
>>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.

If you hear that, you did something barbaric.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/16/2006 08:54 PM CDT

>>Did we ever get told what that means? I know I've had it happen a few times...

I got that message after killing Simonyi once. 'twas pleasant.

-Phii
www.phiiskeep.homestead.com
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/17/2006 12:59 AM CDT
<<I got that message after killing Simonyi once. 'twas pleasant.>>

Haha

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/17/2006 01:48 PM CDT
Did a bit more experimenting last night with the stomp mammoth technique to try and understand what I'm working with, so I could try to explain it more clearly to you guys.

I'm very happy for the guild to finally discover something that can potentially help them become more barbaric or possibly aiding in a hunt.

Much of what I've understood about stomp mammoth is already listed on Phii's warstomp page, but there are a few more things to mention. Just so you understand, when your opponent receives a 5 to 7 second roundtime (it is randomly given), that roundtime will not impact the opponent from stopping to advance on the Barbarian. Stopping the enemy from advancing on you just requires a stun, immobolizing, unconscious or dead state of mind and that roundtime given to the opponent will do none of those affects. Roundtime given is just roundtime given and it impacts the opponent from wielding a weapon, getting something from an inventory, moving to another room. Things of that nature. I don't mind that an enemy can still advance/engage on a barbarian who just affected him via the stomp mammoth technique.

As with the other stomps, stomp mammoth affects balance of those within the range of the stomper. The range of the stomp mammoth technique is anyone who is facing the stomping barbarian at pole and/or melee, as well as the stomping barbarian can face his opponent and affect someone, but he must be at least within pole or melee distance from that target.

Undead creatures will be affected by stomp mammoth (or any other stomp, for that matter). Balance is used by any living or non-living creature in this game. The one thing I would like to test when I'm free is if creatures that hover above the ground are affected by stomps (like, Malchata?).

The opponent will not see himself receiving the roundtime in the story screen/main screen. However, the opponent notices a roundtime increase from the timer.

Creatures and characters will be affected if they are hidden and/or invisible, as long as they are within the range of the Barbarian who utilizes the stomp mammoth technique.

I have always believed that most people want to make rationale, appropriate decisions, but it is difficult to do that when you do not fully understand what is going on around you. One purpose of helping you guys understand your abilities is for Barbarian players to lead better rationale and appropriate decisions based on how they want to lead the story of their character. When you have a group of people who actually understand what is going on around them in terms of the choices they make, it is easier to create new ideas that are useful for their character. Certain things cannot be said by GMs because of their NDA contract, and people should understand this. Yet again, another reasoning for creating guides to help those who would like to know (but at the same time, hopefully not completely spoiling the adventure for them, so there is still mysticism in the game for those individuals).

The messaging from the first person perspective of stomp mammoth is pretty damn sweet. Props to the person(s) who came up with it.

As for my consensus of the stomp mammoth technique (I'm trying to be nice here). I believe it is lacking in terms of situations where it can be useful. That's OK, though. Why? Because the Barbarian Team could perhaps add to it and make it a useful tool in combat. Right now, I can roar anger of the earth and death's lullaby (two very easy techniques to pull off and they use up VOICE) and achieve what stomp mammoth does WITHOUT using inner fire. What stomp mammoth does is fine, but it needs something more to make it useful at the cost of the inner fire it uses up, as well as the level it is given.

1. I have a few suggestions for what stomp mammoth can do. If an individual(s) advances to pole and/or melee range or the Barbarian is facing a person at pole or melee range, it can be affected by the stomp mammoth technique. This technique will cost the Barbarian inner fire and take 2 seconds to perform, the person/people within the range of the Barbarian under the stomp mammoth technique will become extremely unbalanced, gain a 5 to 7 second roundtime for them and it will knock out people from hiding and/or invisiblity that are in the range of the stomping Barbarian.

2. Another suggestion. If an individual(s) advances to pole and/or melee range or the Barbarian is facing a person at pole or melee range, it can be affected by the stomp mammoth technique. This technique will cost the Barbarian inner fire and take 2 seconds to perform, the person/people within the range of the Barbarian under the stomp mammoth technique will become extremely unbalanced, gain a 5 to 7 second roundtime for them and
cause them to fall out of hiding and/or invisiblity (they are in a prone position).

3. I've heard suggestions that along with what stomp mammoth does, it should also be seen that the person affected by this should should have their leg limbs destroyed from usage of the stomp mammoth technique. I don't think that's very useful for the guild. I'd rather my weapons kill my target so I learn something out of the situation.

Personally, I prefer the first suggestion as it is more fair to everyone involved, but it would add usefulness to those hunting creatures that ambush via invisibility and/or hiding while retaining the true meaning of what a MAMMOTH stomp should be.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/17/2006 02:08 PM CDT
Meh.. from having been dropped hard and either sprained an ankle or broken my back by a warrior mage of almost any level, I wouldn't mind dropping them on their heads and snapping their necks like twigs. I want blood, pain and tears.
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/17/2006 06:49 PM CDT
We try to make things you guys can both enjoy as a useful skill and as a creative Roleplaying tool. Not all things we make will be devistating, all-powerful, or amazing in all aspects. We want you to be able to enjoy the skill/item/system and learn about it on your own, so that you, as a player, can enjoy that discovery and share it with your peers if you so choose, or horde it for your own benefit if you so choose. All in all we as GMs are here to make your time Fun above all other things. Most systems take alot of tweaking and retweaking to get them to where they are enjoyable and useful, but not unbalancing on a game level, we appreciate you understanding and helping us do that.

Kudos to you.

Stand Tall, Stand Proud,
Rhazah
Team Barbarian

>>I have always believed that most people want to make rationale, appropriate decisions, but it is difficult to do that when you do not fully understand what is going on around you. One purpose of helping you guys understand your abilities is for Barbarian players to lead better rationale and appropriate decisions based on how they want to lead the story of their character. When you have a group of people who actually understand what is going on around them in terms of the choices they make, it is easier to create new ideas that are useful for their character. Certain things cannot be said by GMs because of their NDA contract, and people should understand this. Yet again, another reasoning for creating guides to help those who would like to know (but at the same time, hopefully not completely spoiling the adventure for them, so there is still mysticism in the game for those individuals).

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
-Albert Einstein

"What's the big deal? So I told a little fib and now people think I'm God." - Peter, Family Guy.
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 12:55 PM CDT
<<We want you to be able to enjoy the skill/item/system and learn about it on your own, so that you, as a player, can enjoy that discovery and share it with your peers if you so choose, or horde it for your own benefit if you so choose. All in all we as GMs are here to make your time Fun above all other things.>>

I understand that aspect of the game. It's the nature of DR to figure things out on your own and I wanted to explain to folks on the board why that is the case. Sure, some of them are aware, but many others are not. My opinion of making all these guides for the guild to understand what they are working with is because I realistic understand this is the situation we as players are dealt with when playing Dragonrealms. Overall, it is my opinion (since I'm the one at the moment who has the choice of whether to horde or spread). Hording a skill/item/system won't help people understand what they are working with and it won't allow for better input from players, so that option is easily passed aside.

<<Not all things we make will be devistating, all-powerful, or amazing in all aspects.>>

I agree, but you have to look at the circumstance you are dealing with. In this case, we are dealing with War Stomp. The ability of War Stomp is given at 100th circle, once you seek Drathlor. There are also costs beyond attaining 100th circle and finding Drathlor which include an inner fire hit, along with sometimes a fatigue hit. The inner fire hit is the one mentioned often by me because it is extensive, although no where near as extensive as it used to be prior to a change noted by Iayn a while ago (that really helped out, but it didn't solve the main issue of usefulness when I can use a very easy intimidation technique to pull off similar results and considerably less cost). One reason I want to help the guild with these guides is so people understand what they are working with (at least to what I consider to be a fair degree, since I know you guys are restricted by NDA). What does that mean? It means having the knowledge or the awareness to not create abilities that duplicate results, yet at greater costs - because that does not do the guild (the players who have the potential to understand and the characters they play within it) any benefit to know that some ability is not helpful in a numerous amount of situations (enough to make it not used by those who have it - i.e. useless). As a player, I have the exact same potential to give ideas as the next person. Yet, more people thinking about ideas = more ideas into the pot = better resulting ideas.

<<Most systems take alot of tweaking and retweaking to get them to where they are enjoyable and useful, but not unbalancing on a game level, we appreciate you understanding and helping us do that.>>

Yep, I know. I'm aware they take tweaking and I'm patient as long as you are aware of the situation and can work on it based on the suggestions the players have given. I know this may differ from you, Iayn or anyone else, but I believe in working with what we have and building on that and if that is complete to a decent degree, than expanding further with new things not available to the guild yet. The coding is there, but you will need to update it and make sure nothing blows up in the game. The players will most likely be patient and understanding for the most part. At least when dealing with this guild from my honest perspective.

I hope my thoughts are understood and sorry for the long explanation.

- Simon

PS - I have further suggestions on all the other war stomps to improve them, but I didn't want my previous post to be long winded to that extent.
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 04:05 PM CDT
War stomp is fairly different from roars that produce similar looking effects.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 04:21 PM CDT
<<War stomp is fairly different from roars that produce similar looking effects.>>

Could you elaborate a little bit on this? The primary benefit of using war stomp is the balance loss of the target within range of the stomper.

That sounds very similar to the intimidation roar anger the earth. To the point of repitition. Also, they do not seem to stack the affects of one another (stomps and anger the earth).

I had to immobolize the target in this test since it's a rock troll and it would run away. Other creatures that aren't undead would have similar results.

You close to melee range on a rock troll.
>stomp mammoth
Destruction. Chaos. Blood. Drathrok taught you how to channel your inner fire to bring catastrophe to your enemies. With a focused warrior spirit, none can stand before you. You lash your foot at the ground with knowledge that your victory is assured.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
The ground underfoot a rock troll shakes with the fury of your strike, forcing it to adjust its footing.
>asse
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a rock troll (1) at melee range.
A rock troll (1: immobile and extremely imbalanced) is facing you at melee range.
>roar anger
Your teacher's voice echoes in your thoughts. "The earth is not alive. It cannot truly feel anger. You, however, can." Remembering that lesson and the form of intimidation you must use, you release a low, brutal roar.
A rock troll appears startled and uncertain of its footing.
>asse
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a rock troll (1) at melee range.
A rock troll (1: immobile and extremely imbalanced) is facing you at melee range.

Not that it should continue to decrease the balance of the target beyond extremely imbalanced (into hopelessly imbalanced or completely inbalanced) because that would make the ability additionally redundant beyond what it is to the guild.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 04:48 PM CDT
I could elaborate, but I won't. :)

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 05:04 PM CDT
Perhaps the contest uses different things, intimidation vs. reflexes, compared to strength vs. reflexes, or such.

Perhaps war stomp is much more likely to succeed (we have a bigger bonus vs. the enemy).

It works on undead where Anger the Earth does not (right?)

So there could be large advantages to war stomp that we can't see.

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 06:37 PM CDT
<<I could elaborate, but I won't. :)>>

Ok.

<<Perhaps the contest uses different things, intimidation vs. reflexes, compared to strength vs. reflexes, or such.>>

That is right.

<<It works on undead where Anger the Earth does not (right?)>>

It does. That is a benefit to stomp that I did note.

<<Perhaps war stomp is much more likely to succeed (we have a bigger bonus vs. the enemy).>>

Could it be? Possibly. That doesn't change the fact it is replicating what another ability a Barbarian can do, but at a greater cost.

Who would use up their overall inner fire pool, if they could use up their overall voice pool? Everything fueled by Barbarian primary abilities (combat dances and berserks) use inner fire as the source of essence involved.

There are very small things that it can do in the vast array of situations. It doesn't feel like a 100th circle ability when (in most circumstances) another thing given at a much lower circle (anger the earth intimidation roar) will work better. Again, in almost every circumstance, anger the earth > any stomp; that should really set off alarms in someone's mind when seeing a 100th circle ability and an ability granted at first potential for 5th circle, where the 5th circle ability is doing a better job in most scenarios you will be faced with. Just trying to be fair to both abilities when evaluating it.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 09:06 PM CDT
Personally the fact that it affects undead is a very minor point as most barbs that I know as well as myself rarely engage the undead (Invasions being the exclusion).

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 09:32 PM CDT
>Who would use up their overall inner fire pool, if they could use up their overall voice pool? Everything fueled by Barbarian primary abilities (combat dances and berserks) use inner fire as the source of essence involved.

Are dance durations shortened after using war stomp and have you tried war stomp with the all the available berserks?

You can lead a mage to mana, but you cant make 'em think.
-Arcane Diluger Rayje
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/18/2006 11:57 PM CDT
Ummm... does War Stomp even fail? I'm far from 100th circle, but out of all the times I've seen examples of War Stomp, I've NEVER seen any messaging that suggests it failed. If it doesn't fail then that's pretty damn cool.
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 01:13 AM CDT
>Ummm... does War Stomp even fail? I'm far from 100th circle, but out of all the times I've seen examples of War Stomp, I've NEVER seen any messaging that suggests it failed. If it doesn't fail then that's pretty damn cool.

That would be interesting. However that begs the question..

By 100th circle could a Barb even fail to affect anyone with the Anger the Earth roar? Or at least, fail to affect anyone other than a 150th+ Barb berserking Nightmare/Everild/Kuniyo/Trothfang while hiding at missile range? Heh.

Dragoonseal
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 01:21 AM CDT
<<Are dance durations shortened after using war stomp and have you tried war stomp with the all the available berserks?>>

No for dances. Yes for berserks. That goes for all stomps. Inner fire (especially the amount at the end of the berserk) and the ending duration determined by if you initiated the berserk in combat or out of combat go hand in hand. Dance duration is gonna be determined by concentration, overall hinderance and encumberance primarily. Could I use stomps with dances? Absolutely, but I could use anger of the earth to affect an opponent(s) balance at missile range for an ability given at 5th circle. I cannot affect an opponent(s) balance at missile range with stomps for an ability given at 100th circle. There are so many examples of why stomp needs to be expanded on to make it more useful for a 100th circle ability. The only possible benefit that I see with it is that you can affect undead creatures (along with everyone else, provided you are in range) with stomp, while you can affect corpreal creatures, cursed creatures and living creatures with intimidation roars.

<<Ummm... does War Stomp even fail? I'm far from 100th circle, but out of all the times I've seen examples of War Stomp, I've NEVER seen any messaging that suggests it failed. If it doesn't fail then that's pretty damn cool. >>

To my knowledge? No, I've never seen it fail except if you do not have the inner fire to use the particular stomp you selected. Than you'll get this messaging:

As you focus your inner fire into a guiding mental flame, your vision flickers and dissipates. No matter your effort, you cannot reach the unity of body, mind, and spirit necessary to use the War Stomp technique.

- Simon

PS - You really don't want to use stomps if you are berserking, especially the higher inner fire sapping stomps. Just a word of advice.
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 01:29 AM CDT
<<By 100th circle could a Barb even fail to affect anyone with the Anger the Earth roar? Or at least, fail to affect anyone other than a 150th+ Barb berserking Nightmare/Everild/Kuniyo/Trothfang while hiding at missile range? Heh.>>

Exactly, bro. To me, this doesn't seem to mean that anger the earth is too easy to pull off. Look at when it is given. 5th circle. That (to me), means it is intended to be fairly easy to pull off successfully because it was targetted for initiates of the Barbarian Guild.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a broken record of when war stomp is given. Although I have more thoughts on improving war stomp light, heavy and enormous, as well. I want people to first understand why war stomp is not useful in just too many situations to make it a viable 100th circle aspect. Hopefully, I have done that from previous posts in this thread.

In all of this, I feel that I have been very fair and objective when trying to understand and compare these abilities. Not only fair and objective to myself, but to the guild. The guild's integrity and focus is what matters in the end on bettering our Barbarians in combat.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 11:47 AM CDT
Holy crow was that Dragoonseal posting? Maybe I've just been a dunce and not paying attention, but I thought you were gone for a while. If so, good ta see ya posting again. If not, then just chalk it up to dense barb syndrome.

Gladiator Maulem~
[Lystid] Do you know the two most important words a married man knows?
>think Itwasn'tme, IsweartoKuniyo?

Come join the werewolf legions!
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=12199
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 01:55 PM CDT
Hmmm, another advantage of war stomp is you don't have to worry about crowds and their annoying boost to resist. At least I think.....

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 04:38 PM CDT
<<Hmmm, another advantage of war stomp is you don't have to worry about crowds and their annoying boost to resist. At least I think.....>>

When you are 100th circle or higher, I don't think this will matter much in most situations.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 09:13 PM CDT
Can War Stomp be made to stomp on an opponent if they are prone?

That would seem barbaric to me. Kinda like that cool choke move we have.

Archi
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 09:18 PM CDT
>Yes for berserks.

I wasnt clear. I meant to ask if berserking made war stomp better or stronger, since both seem more like rage abilities to me.

Magic is what you use to impress children or to explain to them why their uncle is hiding in his room during an invasion.
-Arcane Diluger Rayje
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 10:44 PM CDT
>Holy crow was that Dragoonseal posting? Maybe I've just been a dunce and not paying attention, but I thought you were gone for a while. If so, good ta see ya posting again. If not, then just chalk it up to dense barb syndrome.

Haha joke's on you, I still read the boards every day.

I just haven't logged in or posted for months because Barb and Prydaen development have become so horribly stagnant that I've become too bored with DR to bother.

Oh wait, I've still continued to pay my subscription fee for the last few months, I guess the joke's really on me. Oh well, it's worth it to watch poor Simon still futilely continue to attempt to educate the masses and have rational debate with the GMs about all his outstanding suggestions. Pity that he's one of the few still left that are worth conversing with, too bad that he never IMs me anymore. =/

Dragoonseal
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/19/2006 11:40 PM CDT
<<I wasnt clear. I meant to ask if berserking made war stomp better or stronger, since both seem more like rage abilities to me.>>

I did think of that and tried it out a few days ago when I was retesting stomp. It doesn't make stomping stronger even though you would think it might due to the exact reasoning you just mentioned.

Also, I didn't necessarily mean to say that you can't use the stomp techniques with berserks. I could easily use most stomps with the lower end berserks for me, because I'm regaining inner fire passively at a more rapid rate due to my higher concentration. If I wanted to use the stomps with a higher end berserk (to even think of consider using it), I would need an incredibly high generation rate for continous killing -- think celpeze generation rate from the northern barricade for those of you who are familiar with that area.

Therefore, I was trying to mention that I personally would not recommend using stomps (in its current form - reasoning because stomps are replications of anger the earth to a worse extent due to inner fire costs vs. rather using voice) with berserks (in their current form due to inner fire usage to initiate and consume).

Out of those two things, I know that berserks will have their inner fire initialization levels and consumption levels re-evaluated. I'm going to check on stomps every now and than to see if I can figure out something that I've missed in terms of affects and I've asked folks in TF if they can help a while ago (more recently) but they've been afk to respond. Don't worry, I'll find a way to contact them somehow and hopefully with more people giving me information I can try to pinpoint something that the guild might not understand about the stomp ability.

<<Oh wait, I've still continued to pay my subscription fee for the last few months, I guess the joke's really on me. Oh well, it's worth it to watch poor Simon still futilely continue to attempt to educate the masses and have rational debate with the GMs about all his outstanding suggestions. Pity that he's one of the few still left that are worth conversing with, too bad that he never IMs me anymore. =/>>

Well, I was busy with my previous semester at college, but the reason I didn't IM you was because I eliminated everyone from my buddy list (long story and I'm not gonna mention the reason here). Anywho, I still memorized your SN somehow (I think? E-mail my play.net with it? I'm getting some error when I try to list your SN), so I'll see if your online any time. I appreciate the praise and I do realize there are a ton of other Barbarian players who have some really good ideas for the game as a whole.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/29/2006 05:23 PM CDT
Heyo,

I haven't forgotten some of the questions that have been brought up. Tested out war stomp some more a few days ago for some of the good questions that have arisen.

<<Can War Stomp be made to stomp on an opponent if they are prone?>>

You can use war stomp on an opponent while they are prone, but there is no point to do so. As you guys have read, war stomp will affect the balance of those in the stomper's range (depending on the intensity of the stomp used). When you are prone, you receive an initial balance of "very badly balanced" (some of you may understand this already, others may not).

A better question would be: Why would you use war stomp on an opponent if they are prone? Since you're just changing the balance from very badly balanced to extremely badly balanced in most cases. This leads us to another question brought up.

Will any war stomp intensity deal damage to those affected while standing or kneeling? Same question, but while they are prone?

No to both questions for any war stomp intensity.

<<You know, a cool add on for the barb 100th circle ability would be giving them the same kind of AE knockdown/unbalancing affect that Telga Moradu are said to have (and I think I witnessed it at the Arena fight). Sure, they can still stomp... but if some mage walks in and makes them crash to the ground, then the mage also also ends up on their butt for the effort ;) Just an idea.>>

I know this is a suggestion (others may not), but just so folks understand. There is no knock down function for any situation with war stomp.

Will your weapon affect the war stomp's function?

No. It'll change the messaging for first person and third person perspectives, but that is it.

War stomp as an ability needs work, here are some suggestions to toss out in the pot (I listed the reasoning for war stomp needing improvements in previous posts, so I'm not going to post that again):

Stomp Light - Still has the same requirements as now with only affecting those facing you and at melee range, but can cause a dizzying affect. Balance pulses downward for a few minutes after the affect.

Stomp Heavy - Still has the same requirements as now with only affecting all those at melee range with you, but has a knock down affect if standing or kneeling. If someone is prone while at melee range while using this war stomp intensity, it will deliver slight damage across the entire body.

Stomp Enormous - Still has the same requirements as now with only affecting all those at melee and/or pole range with you, but knocks folks out of hiding and/or invisiblity within that range. Also deals a knock dock affect if they are standing or kneeling and damage throughout the opponents' body if they are prone to a greater degree than stomp heavy.

Stomp Mammoth - Still has the same requirements as now with only affecting all those at melee and/or pole range with you. Due to the requirements (IF cost), it has a combination of all three intensities. Causes a dizzying affect. Balance pulses downward for a few minutes after the affect. Knocks folks out of hiding and/or invisiblity. Also deals a knock dock affect if they are standing or kneeling and damage throughout the opponents' body if they are prone to a greater degree than stomp heavy. It also allows for roundtime to be given to the opponent from a range of 5 to 7 seconds (same as now).

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 05/29/2006 06:51 PM CDT
Please don't take other player's posted opinions as gospel. They are often incomplete, if not incorrect, not due to any intention to mislead, but due to things that a player probably would not see without a very large testing group. That being said, there is also usually a lot of good information in the experiences of other players.

I encourage everyone to PAFO on their own since most barbarian abilities have a lot of factors that go into them, and your experience with one can be very different than that of another player. Hunting style alone can make a huge difference in what abilities you find useful, not to mention your armor set up, stamina, agility, etc.

The testing and posting is great, and I don't want to discourage the sharing of information on the boards. But I also really don't want someone to assume that the conclusions of a player are a statement from a GM about the factors and functions of a given ability. Or that my not posting to confirm or deny is acknowledgment that anything is, in fact, correct.

A lot of opinions about particular roars, for instance, can be very misleading. One roar that works for barbarian 1 may not be good at all for barbarian 2. War Stomp concerns me less because it's not something that you choose, you all get it when you get to 100th and talk to the right people.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: War Stomp's Future 05/30/2006 03:20 AM CDT
A post was hidden.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/03/2006 10:59 AM CDT
>As for my consensus of the stomp mammoth technique (I'm trying to be nice here). I believe it is lacking in terms of situations where it can be useful. That's OK, though. Why? Because the Barbarian Team could perhaps add to it and make it a useful tool in combat. Right now, I can roar anger of the earth and death's lullaby (two very easy techniques to pull off and they use up VOICE) and achieve what stomp mammoth does WITHOUT using inner fire.

I thought the main upside to war stomps was basicly lack of checks. Very easy to succeed. The messaging of mammoth emphasizes this.

Destruction. Chaos. Blood. Drathrok taught you how to channel your inner fire to bring catastrophe to your enemies. With a focused warrior spirit, none can stand before you. You lash your foot at the ground with knowledge that your victory is assured. Roundtime: 2 sec.

Also, I believe comparing to roars is a bad measuring stick. It would be like a WM comparing to FrB.

Just my opinion.
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/03/2006 11:03 AM CDT
>There are very small things that it can do in the vast array of situations. It doesn't feel like a 100th circle ability when (in most circumstances) another thing given at a much lower circle (anger the earth intimidation roar) will work better. Again, in almost every circumstance, anger the earth > any stomp; that should really set off alarms in someone's mind when seeing a 100th circle ability and an ability granted at first potential for 5th circle, where the 5th circle ability is doing a better job in most scenarios you will be faced with. Just trying to be fair to both abilities when evaluating it.
>- Simon

Until you're going against an UBER npc like the general or an army and you can't roar him. Then warstomp looks pretty good.

ext imbalance is a nice setup for an aurica IP.

>Ummm... does War Stomp even fail? I'm far from 100th circle, but out of all the times I've seen examples of War Stomp, I've NEVER seen any messaging that suggests it failed. If it doesn't fail then that's pretty damn cool.

yeah. so ext. imbalancing isn't for sure death like immobilize. but if the thing never fails...it would be unbalanced (i'm punny) if you made it never fail and immobilize
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/04/2006 08:10 PM CDT
No post containing constructive suggestions was hidden.
No post was hidden for containing constructive suggestions.
One post that was argumentative and unconstructive was hidden.

Anything further commenting on hidden posts or related issues will result in warning(s).

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/04/2006 08:13 PM CDT
No doubt, it never fails at the cost of inner fire. However, I don't see that as beneficial to the guild. The only main point of it is to use against undead.

<<Also, I believe comparing to roars is a bad measuring stick. It would be like a WM comparing to FrB.>>

Incorrect. Both anger the earth and war stomps have the function of unbalancing but use differing essences in which they use (voice vs. inner fire). It has nothing to do with frostbite, whatsoever.

<<Until you're going against an UBER npc like the general or an army and you can't roar him. Then warstomp looks pretty good.>>

If a 100th circle Barbarian cannot succeed on one of the easiest roar techniques to pull off with the tools available to him, than he is not doing a good job of training himself/herself. You're entitled to your opinion, which I think is great.

I believe that war stomp can be better than what it currently is.

- Simon

Re: War Stomp's Future 06/05/2006 01:51 AM CDT
>>If a 100th circle Barbarian cannot succeed on one of the easiest roar techniques to pull off with the tools available to him, than he is not doing a good job of training himself/herself. You're entitled to your opinion, which I think is great.

I'm not sure I disagree. Since pretty much never use roars, and I don't really have any plans to train charisma, war stomp sounds fairly interesting to me.

<shrug>

Caraamon Majerye,