1 2 3 5 Next Next_page
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/05/2006 03:00 AM CDT
You have a long way to go until 100th circle, Caraamon. You don't know if your thoughts will change as you progress.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/05/2006 06:29 AM CDT
For the limited scope of what war stomp does in its present state, I just find that the sudden smack to inner fire is genuinely not worth it. It's an ability I've never quite understood in the context of something that is supposed to be a high level skill. For the cost, the gain is miniscule.

I can't use berserks because my barb is trained way too awkwardly for them. But stomp... I can't really think of any situation in which stomp would be a best course of action. I wouldn't discount that others have found creative uses for it. Just one opinion.
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/05/2006 06:43 AM CDT
I can't speak for all the trancendant barbs in TF but those that I have talked too have yet to find a situation were using the ability over Roars, Zerks and pure weapon skills is viable.

Seeing the effects during tests the only benefit I can see for the cost would be the abilty to affect undead and the %100 hit rate, but like one of the other posters stated by the time you have access to this abilty it's pretty much a mute point in terms of being able to affect things with our other abilities. I will continue to test and get feedback from those in TF in regards to this ability and will test it further myself as soon as I achieve the neccessary skills.

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/05/2006 01:52 PM CDT
Chad,

Did you test that using heavier weapons when using war stomp resulted in better results than using lighter weapons or no weapons in hand?

If you did, could you explain what results you saw (any besides balance loss to the target)?

Tested it a while ago and saw no distinctive differences (although, maybe my 62 stone greatsword was too light) between using a weapon with war stomp and not using a weapon with war stomp.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: War Stomp's Future 06/12/2006 02:17 PM CDT
No post containing constructive suggestions was hidden.
No post was hidden for containing constructive suggestions.
One post that was argumentative and unconstructive was hidden.

Anything further commenting on hidden posts or related issues will result in warning(s).

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison

why not send e-mail?

curious if mine but can't remember. would like to know. thanks.
War Stompage 01/04/2009 02:37 AM CST
Wanted to open this back up for discussion. If nothing changes with the way war stomp is right now, that's okay. It still functions well against undead and does have a 100% success rate. But, I think there needs to be a couple more options of what war stomp can do. It just feels plain for what a 100th circle ability could do. I understand this would probably be some low task on the list to work on and that's cool with me.

Stomp light: Affects the balance of the person/creature facing the Barbarian at melee range. Sounds good the way it is.

Stomp heavy: Affects the balance of everyone at melee from the Barbarian. I'd like to add in a feature to knock an opponent down randomly.

Stomp enormous: Affects the balance of everyone at melee and pole range from the Barbarian. Besides a random knocking an opponent down randomly. If the target is prone, to do some damage to its chest accounting for brawling skill. If the target ends up dying, let some inner fire be regained for the kill if the creature teaches the Barbarian any brawling.

Stomp mammoth: Affects the balance of everyone at melee and pole range from the Barbarian, also giving random time of 5 to 7 seconds to the opponent(s). I'd like it to have the highest percentage of randomly knocking someone down between melee and pole range. Do more damage than stomp enormous to the opponent's chest you are facing taking account brawling skill of the Barbarian.

While this is just brainstorming, what thoughts would you suggest?

- Simon

PS - I can't believe hardly anyone posted in this folder since I was gone.

PPS - I also can't believe it's not butter! Heh, couldn't resist :p
Re: War Stompage 01/04/2009 06:56 AM CST
I am all for anything that will let me stomp on stuff that's fallen down. It just seems so fitting.

"Ha, you can't get up!" STOMP

XXXXX: Wait... you wear heavy plate, use a shield, and don't steal? Why not just roll a Paladin?
Me: Because I don't think my sudden urges to flip out and kill stuff fit the Paladin mentality very well.
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 12:38 PM CDT
Anyone else have any constructive ideas about war stomp or the suggestions offered in the OP?

- Simon
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 12:42 PM CDT
Same result as Soul Sickness, less IF eatage.
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 03:49 PM CDT
I know this isn't constructive but IMHO the whole idea should be scrapped. I can see no way to justify this ability as a circle 100th ability.

I hate to make this (GvG) But when a certain guild gets a 5th circle ability that for all intents and purposes is the same thing without the penalties and reqs that are required for circling anyway so it gets easier/better as it's user grow; It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Now yes I know that this ability can be used in conjunction with our other abilities but those have their own penalties/limitations as is.

Basically I'm just tired of having so many of our abilities have huge penalties for simply doing what they claim.

I just got home so I'm too tired to think too deeply on a suitable replacement.

I will say this If I had to think of things that solidify the Barbarian Monicer(sp?) as the l33t combat guild we should be I'd start with things like weapon feats (think Rispote, Weapon Disarming, Shield Destruction for Blunt users et al) and the ability to use our weapons better than any other guild (akin to how Pallies get better stats/apps with shield [i admit to knowing nothing of pallies so if this info is wrong I apologize])

These are the things that I feel would start us in the right direction

- Denz
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 05:33 PM CDT
>>akin to how Pallies get better stats/apps with shield

>This is a somewhat common misperception. A shield is not enhanced simply because a Paladin is holding it. They do have some abilities (like wearing large arm-worn shields for example) but there is no enhancement to protection based on guild. We do strive to not code in guild or creature specific exceptions into the core system code. We only make exceptions where it's absolutely necessary. Paladins AND Traders simply see additional appraisal ranges of shields.

>So for example, if "good protection" is a range from Y to Z .... Paladins and Traders can see if the shield is on the high or the low end of that range. Protection on the higher end of that range may appear as "very good" rather than just "good."

>-Ssra

I don't know how we went so many years with only Paladins posting the extra appraisal ranges and no Traders ever piping up and mentioning they too get them, but heh oh well. They do get a number of other armor bonuses though: being able to wear large shields on their arm, lowest hindrance in all armors, no multi armor hindrance after a certain circle (which is huge, in my opinion), DA spell, etc.

But back on the subject, I don't have any suggestions for War Stomp either, it's just too many kinds of fail.

Dragoonseal
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 06:25 PM CDT
>>But back on the subject, I don't have any suggestions for War Stomp either, it's just too many kinds of fail.<<

QFT. War Stomp is so useless, it's not worth having at 10th circle, let alone 100th. It would be great if it didn't just affect balance, but affected balance so much that at a low end success it knocked everything to its knees, and at high end success it knocked everything prone and stunned for a few seconds.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 06:39 PM CDT
That'd be a great ability, especially with the previous suggestion of damage addition...

If you're facing someone/something you would automatically stomp ON them, causing damage.

I think that if the ability is changed so drastically, however, it should have a contest to go along with it.

How about... no IF useage, but it's contested (naturally favoring the stomper) and has a small timer on it, in addition to the other changes?

"Does Vash seem hindered to you?"
"Vash is a freak of nature"
-A friend, during a discussion on armor choices and hindrance

"Gene Police! You, outta the pool!"
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 06:53 PM CDT
I don't think scrapping War Stomp will improve the guild in any way. We already have it and someone already worked on it. Might as well see what we can do to improve it.

When I talk to various Barbarian players, I always get the same negative thoughts regarding war stomp. In my opinion, war stomp is decent based on it's function but I believe it can be so much more - ESPECIALLY as a 100th circle ability.

Just so everyone understands: What can war stomp do for Barbarians? Besides the obvious of never failing for the balance reduction provided one has the inner fire to use it. The biggest thing is increased options for a Barbarian to use it against unbalancing undead creatures. There are no other real alternatives to destabilize undead creatures for Barbarians besides this.

My goal when thinking this up is to retain a few aspects of war stomp the way it is, but also add that knockdown and stomping of the chest feature that really makes the 100th circle ability worth while at that circle.

Reducing the inner fire, which was done a while back by GM Iayn, in my opinion does not enhance how often I would want to use war stomp. Improving the actual ability and seeing what we can do with would have a better possibility of seeing more usage by myself and fellow Barbarians.

- Simon
Re: War Stompage 03/18/2009 09:59 PM CDT
I'd never waste my inner fire to use it unless I'm just fooling around. When my opponents stack buffs in a multitude of ways with guild abilities, other guild abilities, and cjs on top of it (400 hiding vs. 500 perception turn into 650+ hiding vs. 500 perception) I am not about to give up Eagle dance, and especially not Dragon in other similar situations.

I still think we could use better establishment as one of if not the best anti-magic guild. War Stomp would be perfect for this IMO. Wythor recently said that with upcoming TM changes, BMR will no longer reduce TM beyond the bonus gained from targetting. With spells like SoD, AC, VOI, and Sheer out there I don't really see us (at least myself) being as competitive with fighting against magic. Not including super 150th Dragon dancing Barbarians, a recent test made me actually test my BMR against more than one spell and it really comes up short IMO.

This is where I see War Stomp coming in. My hope is that BMR theory is completely rewritten and War Stomp is given the ability to weaken an entire room of its mana. Perhaps it should still cost a hefty amount of IF to use, but I'd like to see it cause problems with spellcasting and mana in general.

Vinjince
Re: War Stompage 03/19/2009 12:52 PM CDT
This is where I see War Stomp coming in. My hope is that BMR theory is completely rewritten and War Stomp is given the ability to weaken an entire room of its mana. Perhaps it should still cost a hefty amount of IF to use, but I'd like to see it cause problems with spellcasting and mana in general.

This is by far the best idea I've heard yet. Perhaps they could even add a feature to "target" the mana you want stomped out of existance. I doubt i'll ever make it to 100th circle to use it. I'd love to know it was out there.
Re: War Stompage 03/19/2009 03:38 PM CDT
Mana stomp!

Sounds nice. I still wanna stomp chests/heads/limbs/etc though...

Maybe the ability could be expanded to have STOMP MANA as an option? We could combine my idea (if anyone else likes it, that is) with this one. We'd have the regular STOMP options with contests, fun effects, and no IF cost, then an IF-draining mana-attacking STOMP MANA for when we're up against annoying mages.

Any thoughts on this, Aurdun?

"Does Vash seem hindered to you?"
"Vash is a freak of nature"
-A friend, during a discussion on armor choices and hindrance

"Gene Police! You, outta the pool!"
Future of War Stomp 05/01/2009 07:54 PM CDT
So... anyone else see that change to the Ranger grizzly claw spell?

Where is War Stomp going, Aurdun? Have any ideas? As many have said before, it just doesn't seem to fit the bill for a 100th circle ability.

You hear the voice of Rmel exclaim, "Holy jeeperth!"

Gene Police! You, outta the pool!
Re: Future of War Stomp 05/02/2009 12:20 AM CDT
I honestly don't know where it's going yet. I like the idea behind it, but things have changed since it was introduced. That said, it's also behind all the major abilities on my list of stuff to do. I'll keep you all posted and I hope to have more answers by at least Con, though I can't make promises yet.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Future of War Stomp 05/02/2009 03:23 AM CDT
Thanks Aurdun, that works out pretty well for me really since I won't be making it to 100th anytime soon. Nice to have something extra to look forward too, though, so if I think up anything that hasn't already been suggested to death I'll post.

You hear the voice of Rmel exclaim, "Holy jeeperth!"

Gene Police! You, outta the pool!
Re: Future of War Stomp 12/30/2009 02:49 PM CST
I think it should go something like this....

With a loud roar you jump high up into the air and come crashing down with both feet... A loud rumble and steady vibration ripples outward thus creating a large fissure to form!

Suddenly, long mencacing claw appears followed by a reptilian hand. With a loud roar long and behold the World Dragon crawls out of the ground read to fight at your side!

*Elanthia has been struck down.

A bit too over powering? Anyone have any objections?

Re: Future of War Stomp 12/30/2009 04:22 PM CST
Now that's an ability fit for a Barbarian. I like. I want.
Re: Future of War Stomp 12/30/2009 05:06 PM CST
War Stomp should be a combat maneuver that throws the Barbarian to pole range or melee range with a small roundtime.

Honestly, I am having trouble thinking of anything else that cannot be handled by a re-designed roar system. If this is impossible it should be turned into the Barbarian equivalent of a cantrip.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Future of War Stomp 12/30/2009 10:44 PM CST
I'd settle for something alone the lines of

Craxor stomps his foot in an earthshaking blow, causing a seismic ripple to flow at his foes, knocking them back and wobbling, unbalanced and stunned.

if WM's can conjure balistae outta stone we should be able to shake stone
Re: Future of War Stomp 12/30/2009 11:16 PM CST
<< Craxor stomps his foot in an earthshaking blow, causing a seismic ripple to flow at his foes, knocking them back and wobbling, unbalanced and stunned.

There is no ability past or present that will save us from the fat kid jokes.

Rajao
Re: Future of War Stomp 12/31/2009 03:54 AM CST
<<There is no ability past or present that will save us from the fat kid jokes>>

Sure there is. FIRE <target> HEAD should shut them up.

L: Why is the Trader's Guild so big?
V: I dunno.
L: It's huge!
V: Maybe they're compensating for something.
Re: Future of War Stomp 12/31/2009 06:57 AM CST
Concentrating as it required for War Stomp, Magdar slams his foot to the ground.

Rather than radiating outward from his foot as you would expect, this inner fire ability starts the ground shaking 100 feet(missle distance) from his foot and quickly approaches the point his foot contacted the ground. The shaking of the ground has driven all in the room to melee instantly.

Magdar notices a thief appear at melee that he was not aware of before.

NOW FOR A WHIRLWIND ATTACK!

Second War Stomp only effects those at pole

On a third try I notiec that all my inner fire now seems exhausted. I guess I must wait for it to rebuild to full before using this ability again.
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
1 2 3 5 Next Next_page