Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 09:04 PM CST
About gweths--I have always figured that gweths carried the implied images and emotional overtones. I mean we are thinking and our thoughts often are colored by memories, images, warm fuzzies that could spill over on the gweth. I have no problem with "fog" "pigeons" and "Gods". The DR world we inhabit has all of those--it's just that our perception of them are OOC only because we know someone is using conventional words to mean unconventional words.

As for OOC the first few days---I hope that those with gwethsmashers please don't use them. Can we have a moratorium on gwethsmashers?

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 09:14 PM CST
>>I imagine some reasonable equivalent that sends an emotion or a feeling or a temperature or whatever, but the only way we can express it in a MUD is via :hug:.

things sure have changed.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: 3.0 release ::NUDGE:: 01/17/2013 09:57 PM CST

Wow, you're all off topic.

Kindly get back to 3.0 discussion.

Gweths, how to communicate and role-playing in general belong over on Social Aspects or in the gweths folder in Surviving in Elanthia.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 10:51 PM CST
>>So you'll stop wearing gweths to avoid everything annoying to you, and I'll chatter off for everything annoying to me. I can't possibly see how this plan could go awry.

I don't either, and I'm not being sarcastic as you seem to be. I have indeed simply removed my gweths when I didn't feel like hearing gweths before, and it solved the problem. It also involved an in-game cost (a gweth charge), whereas CHATTER ON/OFF would be completely free to you.

I respect that you do not personally like the idea, but I don't feel you've offered any concrete examples as to why this would be a bad idea, beyond the vague implication you gave in the quote above. Do you care to elaborate?
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 10:58 PM CST
>Yeah Elanthapedia has a bunch of info but it gets more into the stat and tech side of it all. All I and I am sure some other people are asking for is basically a 'how to' list of verbs. What do I need to type to cast a spell and stuff like that.

At the risk of veering off topic again, I just want to put in another plug, and appeal for editors, for elanthipedia.org. Although this does tie into the 3.0 release IMO since there will most likely be a significantly increased amount of traffic on elanthipedia as a consequence.

It's a wiki. It's exactly and only what we, the DR community, put into it, so any areas where it might be comparatively lacking are 100% due to no-one having taken the time to write that article yet and do not reflect any restriction on the scope of the site's content. If you feel there's something missing, please help out and write the article that fills that hole!

However, Elanthipedia already does in fact contain a lot of articles about command syntax. http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Commands

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 11:52 PM CST

<<As for OOC the first few days---I hope that those with gwethsmashers please don't use them. Can we have a moratorium on gwethsmashers?

I'd like to second this. Lets let the GMs handle this for the first few nights.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:29 AM CST
<<I respect that you do not personally like the idea, but I don't feel you've offered any concrete examples as to why this would be a bad idea, beyond the vague implication you gave in the quote above. Do you care to elaborate?>>

I was way over snarky, and I'm sorry for that. I don't like the idea of global chatter because I think gweth communications are generally utilized by relatively small groups of people in each region and if you consolidate them, you will actually end up with fewer people communicating with each other in any IC fashion because the monopolization will be consolidated and dominated by the loudest few. I may not be a giant fan personally of the gweth chatter in Ratha or something (random example not necessarily true), but I know for certain that if it was global, that chatter would be battered into OOC channels by other people.

Basically, I think global chatter would push more people to use IMs etc and I don't think that's good for the atmosphere. I think it would erase any semblance of "distance" that we have between the various regions and compress a lot of diverse interaction into one spot.

I may be the minority, but I don't support erasure of the various far-flung regions for the same reason. I don't think everyone should be forced to consolidate around Crossing or something like that, despite how fun the "busy" atmosphere would be. I do support much easier travel for people so that you could get to different places quickly if you want to participate in something there. Sorry for the derail, that's all from me on it.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:38 AM CST
>>Duneplay: As for OOC the first few days---I hope that those with gwethsmashers please don't use them. Can we have a moratorium on gwethsmashers?

Instead of a moratorium on the concept that gweths are an IC tool of communication, I would rather see a temporary chatter channel that players could use while adjusting to 3.0.

I understand GMs' long-term concerns about moderating global chatter, but since it's a given that people are going to have extended OOC discussions when 3.0 goes live, it would seem prudent to move those conversations to an OOC medium.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 01:15 AM CST
I understand the request, but it's really not something we could whip up in an afternoon. Sorry :-\

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 01:42 AM CST
Can I suggest that THINK be allowed to be used in RT? Trying to time the gweths in between my RT is kind of annoying.

With the limits on how fast you can gweth, spamming shouldn't be an issue.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 03:11 AM CST
>>Can I suggest that THINK be allowed to be used in RT? Trying to time the gweths in between my RT is kind of annoying.

This
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 11:29 AM CST
>>Can I suggest that THINK be allowed to be used in RT? Trying to time the gweths in between my RT is kind of annoying.

>>This

This. And for the record, the amunet (GS Gwething) is available during RT in GS (although you can't activate your amulet during RT or spell RT, which are distinct). I believe 'Transmit' is also available in MO during RT. I don't remember enough about AoH to speak intelligently about it's mass communication system other than to say I know there is one.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 11:50 AM CST
Not a bad idea but it's... rather out of scope at the moment, don't you think?

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:06 PM CST
>Not a bad idea but it's... rather out of scope at the moment, don't you think?

http://i.imgur.com/QJTgA.jpg
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:07 PM CST
I know i am starting to sound like a broken record..

but any chance of a detailed breakdown of stats before we make decisions on respeccing tomorrow ?

Much appreciated.

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:14 PM CST
>>but any chance of a detailed breakdown of stats before we make decisions on respeccing tomorrow ?

AFAIK, nothing about stats is changing in terms of what they handle, just that some don't cap out in usefulness past a certain point. For example, since people can actually become fatigued in combat, stamina matters more. To-hit isn't also tied to damage, so you might want to keep training strength past a certain point instead of just gunning for more agility.

The respec stuff is less about stats really changing in form/function and more about giving people the opportunity to fix if they had something like 30 strength and 100 agility, which they might not want in light of how certain combat things were adjusted. Or maybe they only had 30 stamina because of how most hits after a certain point being insta-kills so they invested more in reflex just to help prevent those hits from happening to begin with. So on.

But my understanding of this rests on my understanding that stats didn't really change.

If you have a [generally] balanced character, or you're happy with the idea that your character might have a high to-hit stat bonus but a low damage stat bonus, or a high damage stat bonus and a low to-hit stat bonus, you probably don't need a respec.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:25 PM CST
>>but any chance of a detailed breakdown of stats before we make decisions on respeccing tomorrow ?

This isn't practical. There are likely 1000s of systems that interact with stats. There's no master table somewhere saying "These 307 systems use Charisma in the following way" and most of them aren't changing with 3.0.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:37 PM CST

If you have Genie, just put a minus sign before your entire command and the front end will time the command to go off in between your RTs for you.

If you don't have Genie, I suppose you could always pause your script - but I'd highly suggest just getting Genie.

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:42 PM CST
So I forgot to mention this, but the STRENGTH/etc verbs have been updated to reflect what contests the affect. However, what TEVESHSZAT said is true - Stats really didn't actually change very much. Agility still affects your accuracy with weapons, strength increases melee weapon damage, etc. Stamina still affects your vitality (Though having more vitality adds a lot more to your survivability now).

What's in the STRENGTH/etc verbs is about as detailed as it CAN be. There are a lot of systems that do things like toss your Wisdom into the mix for a minor added benefit, but it's not easy to get an exhaustive list of those - As other important ones come up that should be in the description, we can add them.

--

Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:53 PM CST
One of the few changes I remember being mentioned was that TM no longer uses Agility and instead uses a mental stat. I dont recall if it was ever mentioned which stat, but my money is on Intel.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 12:56 PM CST
> One of the few changes I remember being mentioned was that TM no longer uses Agility and instead uses a mental stat. I dont recall if it was ever mentioned which stat, but my money is on Intel.

Discipline, actually.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 01:01 PM CST
<borrowing from my "necro" listening list>

Music to listen to when DR goes down...

in the end... anthrax

"I can't take it, i won't take it, i can't break it, its already over, too little too late...when the sun goes down, in the end i'm kicking down the door.. ripping my heart out"

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 01:15 PM CST
I may be reading this incorrectly, but as I understand it, TM is in the 'Magic Attack' realm, and as such, uses Wis, Intel, and Disc, in that order for the caster.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magic_3.0#Stat_vs_Stat_Spells
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 01:26 PM CST
> I may be reading this incorrectly, but as I understand it, TM is in the 'Magic Attack' realm

No, those attack types are for contested spells, which mostly means Debilitation spells. TM is more of a weapon attack.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 01:46 PM CST
I understand that it would not be a definitive list per se, but the example of TM using different stats now as an example, and not wanting 100 agil over sacrificing strenght are the kind of issue i am talking about.

Personally i have tested on the test server, and read all the copious amounts of documentation, but stats remain very hit an miss.

Then when your hear a GM (and i cant locate the exact post to quote) say stats matter more than just the number of ranks you have i think it deserves some thought.

Maybe the new help will cover it enough so thanks for that, but it's not acceptable to just shrug off as too much hassle information about what is an obviously very important aspect of the game.

Just my opinion of course.

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 01:52 PM CST
I definitely didn't understand that properly. So TM spells rely on what stats, in what order?
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:04 PM CST
The new stat contest for stats is pretty important. Definitely take a look at the link the Jhalias posted.

And I agree, it would be nice to know that Agility no longer factors into TM. And things of this magnitude.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:16 PM CST
>>I definitely didn't understand that properly. So TM spells rely on what stats, in what order?

Was formerly Discipline and Agility, now it's just Discipline.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:19 PM CST
I'd like to ask a question about TDPs. I asked earlier but I don't remember seeing an answer. Should we all be running to spend the TDPs? I have a lot of TDPs and I would think that making stats revert to racial norms wouldn't affect the TDPs I have except to add to them. But since I'm not sure--do I need to spend them now before DR3 rolls in?

Ithyn
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:22 PM CST
> do I need to spend them now before DR3 rolls in?

There's no hurry. Nothing you do will cause you to lose tdps.

> I have a lot of TDPs and I would think that making stats revert to racial norms wouldn't affect the TDPs I have except to add to them.

Exactly this. Also, in case you didn't realize, reverting to racial start values is optional. You can just stay with what you have, if you want.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:23 PM CST
>>do I need to spend them now before DR3 rolls in?

This might be important if you will end up very negative on TDPs and are NOT planning to do a respec once 3.0 hits. But if you are planning to respec your stats, then any last minute training before tomorrow would be immediately undone anyways.

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:35 PM CST
>hear a GM (and i cant locate the exact post to quote) say stats matter more than just the number of ranks you have

I think you're either misunderstanding or misremembering something here. I'm fairly sure ranks are more important than stats everywhere but contested spells.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:43 PM CST
>>Teveshszat: If you have a [generally] balanced character, or you're happy with the idea that your character might have a high to-hit stat bonus but a low damage stat bonus, or a high damage stat bonus and a low to-hit stat bonus, you probably don't need a respec.

Also, if you have a high number of negative TDPs, and you're happy with the way your stats are balanced, you may not want to RESPEC. Otherwise, your stats will be lower. (Think of negative TDPs like an interest-free TDP loan.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:50 PM CST
>>I'm fairly sure ranks are more important than stats everywhere but contested spells.

This is correct

>>Magic stats

Discipline affects accuracy, and wisdom and intelligence affect damage for TM spells. This is reflected properly in TRAIN now, and will be updated in HELP STAT soon.

--

Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:53 PM CST
>>Think of negative TDPs like an interest-free TDP loan.)

Except its not a loan since you already earned them. It's more like working to buy X cool thing, then the Amish mafia comes by and says you actually stole X cool thing (even though you didn't) and now you have to pay for it again.

yeah yeah bonus pool thing, it's not equivilent. Either way, if you are negative, 3.0 learning seems really good (for most things) compared to 2.0 so you shouldn't have a problem working it off.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:58 PM CST
>>It's more like working to buy X cool thing, then the Amish mafia comes by and says you actually stole X cool thing (even though you didn't) and now you have to pay for it again.

Incorrect. It's like working to buy X cool thing, but then there was some fiscal restructuring and you ended up with less money than you had before. You can either sell your stuff back (at full value!) to get flush with money or be in debt without interest for a while to pay you back.

--

Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 02:59 PM CST
> Was formerly Discipline and Agility, now it's just Discipline.

I'm very very displeased if this is the case, I've heard it was changing but never seen a definitive red post saying it was strictly discipline. I for one chose my race for the reduced stat rate for agility, because of the TM accuracy factor. I'd would hope at least it would go from agil/disc to intell/disc or something, otherwise I've went in a complete 180.

And before a few of you choice people bother chiming in on the fact that I shouldn't of chose my race for that factor alone, can it. I have other reasons but that still was a big one. Along with a few other folks i'd assume.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 03:07 PM CST
>>Discipline affects accuracy, and wisdom and intelligence affect damage for TM spells. This is reflected properly in TRAIN now, and will be updated in HELP STAT soon.

Cool, that's excellent to know. :)

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 03:09 PM CST
>Discipline affects accuracy, and wisdom and intelligence affect damage for TM spells. This is reflected properly in TRAIN now, and will be updated in HELP STAT soon.

I guess I posted right around the same time you posted that, sucks, but oh well I guess.
Re: 3.0 release 01/18/2013 04:42 PM CST
>Discipline affects accuracy, and wisdom and intelligence affect damage for TM spells. This is reflected properly in TRAIN now, and will be updated in HELP STAT soon.

>I guess I posted right around the same time you posted that, sucks, but oh well I guess.

Remember that to-hit calcs are also not as tied to damage calcs as they used to be, so accuracy itself is a great deal less important when determining damage.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45