Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 09:45 PM CST
>I'm really happy with the number of very-informed people that will be able to help people out on Saturday. Having test open these last few months has been a lifesaver.

I have to say I must have started and stopped at least a dozen posts critiquing or complaining about this or that with DR 3.0 in Test. And yet they all largely remained unposted because I would pause to try ONE MORE THING ('well, maybe if I pause between casts', 'well, maybe I should try wearing a shield', 'well, maybe one more glass of wine') in my experimentation and come across the solution to my complaint.

Perhaps one thing to keep in mind when dealing with folks who are lost and frustrated with the changes this coming weekend is to remind us to play around, have fun, and experiment.

THEN freak out and rant on the boards.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:04 PM CST
And I find I tend to post just BEFORE finding the solution..

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: 3.0 release and feats 01/16/2013 12:11 AM CST
<<Respec feats--Socharis>>

Socharis, thanks for much. And I have another question. Along with the feats wipe, we are getting a stat wipe--so my question is this, my mage has 680 tdps right now, so should she spend the tdps now, or just wait until DR3. I wanna say just save them, but I have to ask.

Ithyn
Re: 3.0 release and feats 01/16/2013 04:14 AM CST
no stat wipe, you can respec if you wish, if your character will have a negative TDPs in 3.0 <log in in test to see>, train those stats now.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: 3.0 release and feats 01/16/2013 04:37 AM CST

Would be most helpful if there could be GMs stationed in each of the guildhalls on saturday to direct those of us that are gonna be deer in headlights, <me included>.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:39 AM CST
>>And I find I tend to post just BEFORE finding the solution..
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 03:38 PM CST
I really like the chatter option. The dragonrealms community is already so spread out this would allow people to communicate and give the game a more lively feel. I sometimes go hours without hearing anything on the gweth and that gets boring. I know there would be some people who would take conflicts and annoyance to chatter but those people can just easily lose their chatter privileges for a month or w/e time is felt warranted. Those who feel chatter destroys their RP could just toggle it off etc. I really really think this would help the game in many more ways than it would be negative.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 03:39 PM CST

<<I really like the chatter option. The dragonrealms community is already so spread out this would allow people to communicate and give the game a more lively feel. I sometimes go hours without hearing anything on the gweth and that gets boring. I know there would be some people who would take conflicts and annoyance to chatter but those people can just easily lose their chatter privileges for a month or w/e time is felt warranted. Those who feel chatter destroys their RP could just toggle it off etc. I really really think this would help the game in many more ways than it would be negative.

300 people trying to figure out how to make cambrinth power their cyclics all screaming about cancelling their 3 accounts? No thanks.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 03:45 PM CST
Chatter, like the PvP flags, is a good idea in theory, but in practice I see it being subject to the same abuses. Chatter, while solving problems with the current in game messaging system, brings with it new issues. These issues could be avoided by just updating the current in game massaging systems.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 03:54 PM CST
>current in game massaging systems.

Wedding verbs just got interesting.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 04:00 PM CST
Yeah its nice in test but Id get super sick of it with Prime amount of people talking on it. Im not even thinking short term which would be hundreds of 3.0 questions. I see it turning into the old crossing bank.. folks tryin to sell stuff, OOC, conflicts, lovey huggle crap... I think gweths are just fine. At most maybe open the gweth range just a smidge but not a replica of chatter.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 04:27 PM CST
Adding something that would cause GMs more policy, and policing of the player base isn't a good idea. I like chatter but think it would do more harm than good in Prime.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:14 PM CST
>>Adding something that would cause GMs more policy, and policing of the player base isn't a good idea. I like chatter but think it would do more harm than good in Prime.

Remember that you're essentially asking to combine the Crossing, Ratha, and Theren gweths all into one giant mishmash of humanity. Literally nobody wants that.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:17 PM CST
> Remember that you're essentially asking to combine the Crossing, Ratha, and Theren gweths all into one giant mishmash of humanity. Literally nobody wants that.

I don't even like listening to gweths...
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:18 PM CST
If people didn't want to read it they could toggle the window off. I can see problems with it but with 350 people playing DR prime I don't really think that it would devolve into diarrhea of the mouth. I feel like the majority of the people playing DR are professional adults (atleast that's my secret hope) and would treat it in a respectable way. As, the extra work for GMs thing. Now, I don't really know the amount of time it takes to remove someones like snipe or something. I would see it being the same as removing someones chatter mechanics wise. I can't see it taking that long. However, a GM responded and said it isn't likely to happen so there's no point talking about it further. Was just an idea I thought would be nice.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:28 PM CST
>>I feel like the majority of the people playing DR are professional adults (atleast that's my secret hope) and would treat it in a respectable way.

Are we playing the same game?

>>As, the extra work for GMs thing. , I don Now't really know the amount of time it takes to remove someones like snipe or something. I would see it being the same as removing someones chatter mechanics wise. I can't see it taking that long.

It usually starts with an assist/consult with the offended party which can take 10 minutes up to several hours depending on how much they feel like crying, and then some behind the scenes stuff where they decide what they are going to do, and if they remove something then a consult with the offending party which again can take 10 minutes to several hours depending on how much they want to cry. I've personally seen one situation take up a GH/GM's evening. That is time they could be doing something constructive.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:29 PM CST
>> I can see problems with it but with 350 people playing DR prime I don't really think that it would devolve into diarrhea of the mouth.

I take it you weren't on the Test server's chatter when all of Prime was let in to test 3.0

Reasonable questions and bug reports were buried under massive freak outs by a minority of testers.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:32 PM CST
>>If people didn't want to read it they could toggle the window off.

Two points:

- Right, but the entire point of this suggestion is for a gamewide help channel. People that actually need help would still be subject to the drama on there, or they'd find a better way to get help. If the latter, then we've essentially created a crappy gamewide soap opera. If the former, people needing help get bogged down by the constant nattering. Neither of these things are good.
- There are some people who couldn't reasonably turn off these channels: Hosts, Mentors, and GMs. I have no desire to force our most helpful people to pay attention to what would happen there while hoping that somebody is looking for actual help.

Best thing we can do is provide a bunch of information for people and give them the resources they need to succeed.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:57 PM CST
I think the game's player base has become small enough that a global chat channel is a very appealing option, actually. I agree right after the 3.0 launch is not an ideal time, as it would explode with questions and snarky answers; after the major changes settle, though, I think it should be pursued.

We'd have to establish some ground rules like no adverts for Trader shops, no "hugz smoochies" between two parties that could better be done with albredine rings or gweths, no talking about the football games (if it's considered IC at least), none of that "Keep clear" crap the Therengians do every five minutes.... actually yeah you're right, it's probably a bad idea.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 05:58 PM CST
So no game wide pryd birth broadcasts?
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 06:30 PM CST
I like the idea of there being a way to communicate globally, but I definitely don't want it to be a channel whose purpose is to provide help - Because of the way people tend to use the wide-area chat channels right now, forcing our mentors, hosts, and GMs to pay attention and moderate it would get exhausting and would probably end up being less helpful than we want. Something to visit after we get the nuts and bolts sorted out.

--

Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 06:44 PM CST
I'd be nice to have a global channel that allowed us the ability to regulate players doing unacceptable behavior on it. But also hold folks regulating it accountable as well and if it's just them not liking a person or abusing the power they lose their access to the channel and their ability to regulate it. There will be problems but the problem makers will eventually lose their ability to cause trouble and it will get better. I also don't think it should be similar to gwethsmashers because some high level folks know they can do whatever they like without any real risk.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 07:24 PM CST
Looking forward to Saturday.
I'll probably turn my AIM off.
You all are on your own.
heh

Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 07:34 PM CST
If chatter gets into Prime...at least force those people to flag pvp...so we don't get in trouble for killing the more annoying folks. I only kidding. Love 3.0. Love where its going. I still a deer in the headlights when it comes to what spells and feats I going to pick once I have to. Over all though, I am happy with it.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 08:04 PM CST
Anything that's going to replace gweths in game with an OOC function is a bit tetchy in my eyes.

I mean, enough people already have AIM listed in their profile; maybe someone should organize an IRC or something through Epedia?
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 10:12 PM CST
<<It's a crazy idea, but I kind of want this to be the norm. Not necessarily minutes, but days. Granted, some systems like horses and boats need a 3.0-style treatment before they can be that fast, but I want to be able to take care of these issues and get them done rather than having them language for decades.

>Biceps, Not Bicep. You can do it. You know you want to do it. Be my hero. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. All together now: biceps, triceps, quadriceps.

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 11:01 PM CST
I never said I didn't read any of the 3.0 forums. And I agree with Zinaca. Yeah Elanthapedia has a bunch of info but it gets more into the stat and tech side of it all. All I and I am sure some other people are asking for is basically a 'how to' list of verbs. What do I need to type to cast a spell and stuff like that.

And when I said have a life, I meant I have other things to do and can't be on the computer all the time. I am sure you have lives too so you should be a little less snarky when someone says they don't have time to read everything. Right now I barely get an hour on a computer. Technically I am on my Vita. So Kroon, Jcleric, worry about yourselves and don't concern yourselves with what I know or don't know. My questions aren't for you anyway. So bugger off.

Ok no more snarky. Sorry. Just really wanna know about verb use thanks.

>>Male Persona Non grata seeking Dead Female Pokemon
Re: 3.0 release 01/16/2013 11:51 PM CST
Well as an aside I will toss out that perhaps youre letting the wiki daunt you at first glance. I know Im not a numbers person and Ive personally spent a ton of time inputting spell info on all the guilds and formatting the Magic 3.0 page. And sure there is number work in there but its got a ton of info on all the verbs and how they work now. I honestly cant attest to some of the other 3.0 pages since I havent had my fingers in those. Might just give it a little longer look and you might find the information isnt bad at all. Id definitely stick with the 3.0 pages though. They have the best "how to" stuff for the release.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 12:34 AM CST
the only thing i see is that, without a chatter, there's probably going to be a whole bunch of OOC stuff on the prime gweth come saturday.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 12:41 AM CST
>>Anything that's going to replace gweths in game with an OOC function is a bit tetchy in my eyes.

The gweths are already quasi-OOC, if we're being honest with ourselves. I'm not sure how ::hugs:: works over gweths or what it's even supposed to mean in the context of being a telepathic group-conversation. Then there is of course the frequent discussions about fog, pigeons, and stuff "The Gods" have not given us yet.

I much preferred The Fallen's blatantly OOC chatter when I played in that instance to the nonsensical IC-speak.
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 12:49 AM CST
<<I much preferred The Fallen's blatantly OOC chatter when I played in that instance to the nonsensical IC-speak.>>

This is incredibly dependent upon where you are, hence Socharis' earlier post.

No chatter. It's an awful idea. Everyone will tolerate the general OOC gweth outbursts for a couple days, in the places where there is gweth chatter. To subject everywhere to that, when there's plenty of places that police themselves fine, is just a bad call.
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 12:55 AM CST
>>This is incredibly dependent upon where you are, hence Socharis' earlier post.

I have found every gweth area annoying in turn save for those that are silent all the time.

>>No chatter. It's an awful idea. Everyone will tolerate the general OOC gweth outbursts for a couple days, in the places where there is gweth chatter. To subject everywhere to that, when there's plenty of places that police themselves fine, is just a bad call.

The existence of a toggle to allow you to turn it off negates most of the substance of this objection (I feel). If you don't like it, don't use it. Others would.
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 01:42 AM CST
So you'll stop wearing gweths to avoid everything annoying to you, and I'll chatter off for everything annoying to me. I can't possibly see how this plan could go awry.
Re: 3.0 release ::NUDGE:: 01/17/2013 01:54 AM CST

Let's move on from this before it turns into me having to remove posts.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 02:33 PM CST
>Biceps, Not Bicep. You can do it. You know you want to do it. Be my hero. :)

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 04:54 PM CST
>> I'm not sure how ::hugs:: works over gweths or what it's even supposed to mean in the context of being a telepathic group-conversation.

With respect to this... how does 'hearing thoughts' actually work? Are you hearing the individual's voice speaking, seeing images they are projecting forward, sense emotions they are seeking to share, or just suddenly find you have memories of thinking exactly what they were? Sure, it is meaningless and a little illogical if you are thinking about it in a purely conversational sense (although gweth-laughs, gweth-chuckles, and other vocalizations make good sense). If it's any of the other options, however, a gweth-hug makes perfect sense, as does communicative but non-functional gweth-murder.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 04:58 PM CST
It's probably reasonable to assume that a frequently-used method of communication will come up with ways of expressing sentiments other than text. In the modern text world, it's emotes and things like <nod>, etc. In the magical world of casting your thoughts across the world, I imagine some reasonable equivalent that sends an emotion or a feeling or a temperature or whatever, but the only way we can express it in a MUD is via :hug:.

--

Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 05:54 PM CST
Since it was asked, and I think it's particularly cool;
Dolphins primary mode of sensing the world around them is via echolocation. They send out a series of clicks, similar to radar, and the return wave of clicks gives them very accurate representations of the world around them. What makes this interesting is that dolphins are also highly communicative with one another. As in, give a dolphin a puzzle that takes, on average, 5 minutes to solve when first seen. If you give the puzzle to a second dolphin (that also hasn't seen it) and house it in an enclosure that lets it communicate with the first dolphin (that has seen the puzzle), the time to completion drops to 'nearly immediately'.

So when I say outloud "I like dogs", someone may hear that, and interpret each words meaning. To them, "I", "like" and "dogs" will conjure any myriad possibilities; sense of self, sense of enjoyment, pictures of dogs, recollections of their experiences with dogs, etc.

When a dolphin says to a pod mate "Five Fish Ahead", they may literally be broadcasting the dolphin representation of "five", "fish" and "ahead", and because the form of communication is the same as their sensory input, it has been hypothesized that this may be conducted by literally sending an 'image' to podmates of 'five fish'.

So, when I gweth, "Healer needed at the bin!" maybe I'm not sending the text/verbal request. Maybe I'm sending an image of a bloodied corpse at the bin and an emotional sense of urgency.
/tangent
Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 06:05 PM CST
"Language" is very neat.

--

Re: 3.0 release 01/17/2013 07:52 PM CST
>>It's probably reasonable to assume that a frequently-used method of communication will come up with ways of expressing sentiments other than text. In the modern text world, it's emotes and things like <nod>, etc. In the magical world of casting your thoughts across the world, I imagine some reasonable equivalent that sends an emotion or a feeling or a temperature or whatever, but the only way we can express it in a MUD is via :hug:

But we do- instead of like 'think emotion warm/cold/sad at gwethbob nopants', we could send them a Card or colored Xibar topaz.