Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:12 AM CST
>>The game that existed for the last decade and a half no longer exists when it comes to combat and magic.

I don't know if I'm just good at making adjustments or what, but the game isn't that different. The biggest hurdle was figuring out what my personal caps for spells were.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:21 AM CST

<< Or the forums in which we have been seeing a totally crazy amount of candid info from GMs as opposed to the old norm of PAFO. Well Ill be upfront.. Im terribly disappointed in the lack of attention folks have shown.

With respect, I want to remind you that the majority of people who play games, don't take the time to read forums. They play to play and have fun.

There's also quite the number of people, such as myself who have just returned after extremely long absenses. I lived through DR beta, DR pre web, DR post web, DR 2.0 release and then was gone for various reasons for almost 7 years. When I came back, I personally reached out to a firm dozen of my old friends, one of whom I'm actually paying via GOA's for their account because they have issues right now financially. None of us knew about 3.0 'coming for years'.

Most of these people and many more like them don't have time or inclinations to read forums. That doesn't make them stupid. And I'll for sure say it doesn't make them 'ignorant'. All I'm asking is that we collectively don't walk into Saturday READY to pounce on people asking a million stupid questions.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:36 AM CST
I remember one event I did. I posted on the message boards about a month prior, and gave about 2 more reminders including the day of. Posted it on another website. It was on the calendar the whole time too. I spent quite some time moongating and traveling by boat to gweth to every province before the day of. I sent a message to every person on my friend's list that still played the game (around 50 people) at the time. I messaged it a couple times in an irc room with about 20 people. There was even a gamewide GM announcement letting people know prior to starting.

After the poor turnout, there was so many people that were like, "Durr, I didn't know something was going on!"

Believe it or not, there will be a lot of shocked/confused people, even if the GMs had sent gamewide messaging every day for the past year. Just gotta send 'em links, help if you can and be patient.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:54 AM CST
>>I suppose this is a perfect time to mention that it may be time for you guys to look into a new way of doing this.

Not gonna happen, really. If you ignore it every time, you'll probably end up ignoring any manner of 'hey there's new stuff to read' UI in the game. News is the way we can communicate with people who don't read the forums, which is a HUGE portion of the populace.

>>Believe it or not, there will be a lot of shocked/confused people, even if the GMs had sent gamewide messaging every day for the past year. Just gotta send 'em links, help if you can and be patient.

Yeah, this is the root of it. No matter how aggressive you are about showing people that something's there, a huge number of folks won't take the time to read and/or care about it until it's too late. DR mirrors real life that way - It's very common for a major issue/change/whatever to be known about and talked about for months and years before it happens, but only when it comes down to the wire do the majority of people throw their lot into the mess. It's kind of an cultural thing, I think - We're REALLY focused on 'now', and don't spend a lot of time thinking about what's coming up because there's so much going on at this very moment.

"Not having the time" has a ton of different root causes, but it applies to many of us much of the time.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:13 AM CST
>>It's kind of an cultural thing, I think - We're REALLY focused on 'now', and don't spend a lot of time thinking about what's coming up because there's so much going on at this very moment.

Heh dont get me wrong I understand but it doesnt mean I need to be polite about social failings. As I said Ill still help and to be honest Im normally pretty nice except when I see "Whut happend to my magiks?!?! This is STUPID!" Its around this point that my filter quits working.

>>Most of these people and many more like them don't have time or inclinations to read forums.

And its not the busy folks that bug me. Trust me Im in your shoes capt... Ive been gone off and on for years. My patience is only so thick though, honest questions Im fine with. People throwing tantrums cause they ignored or avoided all info tossed at them... heh theres no way Im being nice there.

>>And I'll for sure say it doesn't make them 'ignorant'.

Heh thats actually exactly what it makes them.

Ignorant
Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular

Ignorant doesnt mean they are mentally handicapped heh. Or morons. But if you know nothing of 3.0 because youve ignored or avoided forums, the web, and the rumors from other players... then you are in fact ignorant of the matter.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:21 AM CST

Renzar trust me. I've wanted to reach out and smack the crap out of people before for being completely stupid. But I haven't. I don't want to lose a single person on Saturday or any time after from DR whether that person is an idiot, a good guy, a confused person, or whatever. DR is what it is because of the people. So I'm going to sit on my fingers, not call them various names and whisper epedia links or give the short short version on magic.

You get what I'm saying I hope? I think we the people with knowledge, need to not take that fact and spoil it with contempt.

Also, I stand my be my statement. Some people, such as my friends who have to choose between RP and reading forums due to time constraints make the choice to RP. Which is the correct one. That doesn't make them ignorant people.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:36 AM CST
>>You get what I'm saying I hope?

I most certainly do I just dont entirely share the same sentiments. Honest questions Im fine with. Tantrums Im not. And I wont lament the tantrum throwers leaving as Ill simply hope a more level headed player will take their place.

>>That doesn't make them ignorant people.

Heh Im not lauding those who read the forums over those who dont. But I find it pretty difficult to think that by this point folks wouldnt have ANY idea whatsoever. Not knowing certain things? Sure. Not knowing in a week there will be huge changes coming and that theres tons of info out there on it (whether you choose to read it or not)? Thats self imposed ignorance.

Anyhow this is derailing and Im not really keen on arguing the matter. My suggestion as far as how to take anything I may say that sounds snarky... consider it tough love. It'll still have the answers behind it but I wont coddle the folks who toss sarcasm and bile out at changes they could have read up on and tested themselves and chose not to.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:08 AM CST
K let's turn this thread around to talking about the DR3 release again.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:18 AM CST
<K let's turn this thread around to talking about the DR3 release again.

Okay. How 'bout rolling 3.0 into a virgin instance then and telling us to live with it? I know a lot of people just blinked really hard, but I'm dead serious. If the ultimate goal is to increase player base and extend the viability of the DR IP, it really is the only option. Why? Relevancy. Gamers are more likely to remain a part of a gaming community if they feel relevant in that community. This is why FPSs are so popular. I can jump into a Halo game (or any other of the type) and be immediately relevant. DR? Not so much.

DR was already esoteric and marginally accessable. 3.0 increases the esoterism and decreases the accessability. It is, as someone pointed out earlier, virtually a new game. So, my opinion, is that Simu should make the tough call and implement DR 3.0 in a clean environment, make Prime 2.0 the new Fallen and move on. It's no secret that development issues revolve around HLCs. Most of whom should of been attritioned out years ago...had Simu bothered to enforce there ToS at any rate. I don't want this to turn into a "bought trash" arguement because I really am indifferent to it. That doesn't mean I don't recognize the issues it has created for the development team.

Back to relevancy. I'm guessing Simu is banking on retaining a significant percentage of returning players. It is my belief this number will be considerably lower than anticipated. Especially if the player left before 3.0 was first whispered about. There is no way around it, it takes quite a bit of time to be relevant in this community. A returning player of between, say 50 -90th, will find they may as well be a newb. This is unlikley to produce the intended result of retention. New players will take a look and decide that a constant cycle of "catch up" just isn't for them. But, if they discover everyone is starting from scratch, they'll be more likely to hang around. On the flip side, you have those that have been here since AOL and will have a stroke if you try to take away their pixelated text. So what. This is a hard business decision. Besides, remember 2.0 becomes the new Fallen. They can stay in that environment.

Having written the ramble above, I am truly beginning to believe this is a golden opportunity both for Simu and us as a player base. As it stands, the box we (us and Simu) have to play in is limited. Open up a virgin instance and that box gets huge. Want a statue of yourself out side the Cleric Guild? Be the first to raise. Want a Forging Center named after you? Be the first to masterfully craft a capped weapon or some such. Uninspired examples, I know. But you get the point. The possibilities are far greater if we start fresh. As always, these are just my opinions.

Peace.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:26 AM CST
I don't believe for a second that the only thing keeping people from wanting to play DR is the knowledge that they won't be top dog or the first to X.

Keeping a 2.0 instance also means that those people will never get any game dev ever. How does that sound appealing?

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:28 AM CST
<I don't believe for a second that the only thing keeping people from wanting to play DR is the knowledge that they won't be top dog or the first to X.

Keeping a 2.0 instance also means that those people will never get any game dev ever. How does that sound appealing?

No one said anything about being top dog. It's a matter of relevancy. And if you think that is not a significant factor in how a gamer distributes their disposable income, you're mistaken.

Peace.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:40 AM CST
>>No one said anything about being top dog. It's a matter of relevancy.

I also don't believe that the thing keeping people from playing is relevancy.

How quickly would the "new" instance draw die out? A month? Two months? Even if we believe that there would be an initial rush from "I want to be the first to X!," what happens after those take place? Start yet another new instance?

>>And if you think that is not a significant factor in how a gamer distributes their disposable income, you're mistaken.

If you argued that there should be more "achievements" that they can reach (titles can theoretically accomplish this), I would agree with you. A big chunk of modern heavy gaming culture is connected to reaching those achievements. But being "relevant" by becoming the first to X is a very short term thing to bank on as a long-term attraction.

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:43 AM CST
>No one said anything about being top dog. It's a matter of relevancy. And if you think that is not a significant factor in how a gamer distributes their disposable income, you're mistaken.

If you want to be relevant, play plat. I feel like I am a relevant part of the plat community (even if I'm not actually, I at least feel that way), despite only being around for 4-5 months or so.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:59 AM CST
I don't think this tangeant has much to do with getting back on topic, either, as it won't happen. DR3 is going live into Prime on Saturday.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 10:59 AM CST
<If you argued that there should be more "achievements" that they can reach (titles can theoretically accomplish this), I would agree with you. A big chunk of modern heavy gaming culture is connected to reaching those achievements. But being "relevant" by becoming the first to X is a very short term thing to bank on as a long-term attraction.

This is not what I meant by the examples I gave. It was an unfinished thought, actually and poorly presented. My point is that it allows for more creativity in establishing player impact on the environment from the start. The examples I gave were more in the way of providing a motivation to accept starting anew for the current base. And I'm still not sure I'm explaining myself accurately.

From a purely business point of view, sans emotion, it will be the best method to attract fresh meat, regain lost customers (and retain them)and give the Dev Team a blank check. It might also allow those of us that have been here for the past 15 years or so to rediscover areas of the game we've ignored for a decade or more.

Peace.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 11:04 AM CST
<If you want to be relevant, play plat. I feel like I am a relevant part of the plat community (even if I'm not actually, I at least feel that way), despite only being around for 4-5 months or so.

This is an option. But, I'm not speaking about me. I am approaching this from a strict business perspective. Retention and modest growth are what make an IP such as DR viable. To increase the life-cycle of the game, it is my opinion this would be the most effective methodology to pursue.

At any rate, this is an exercise in hypotheticals. I still think it would be fun as hell in the end, however. Once we got past the initial blast of emotive rage.

Peace.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 11:10 AM CST
Starting a new instance where people would have to leave behind the characters that they have invested years into would end in failure. It's been tried with 2 separate instances (Plat and TF), and both have a population of 20-30 people. Everyone comes back to Prime because that is where the majority of people are, and where their characters are that they've invested a lot of time into. This has been tried before, it didn't work out then, and making it a mechanically different instance would just make it that much harder to get people to try it.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 11:17 AM CST
>>My point is that it allows for more creativity in establishing player impact on the environment from the start.

This is already the case. You don't need to be a high level character or have a clean slate in the game to have an impact in the roleplay.

>>From a purely business point of view, sans emotion, it will be the best method to attract fresh meat, regain lost customers (and retain them)and give the Dev Team a blank check.

I'm still not sure how a lack of people who already had an impact in an instance is going to attract people to make an impact themselves. Because other people already had an impact, people don't feel they can? Does this mean that, every few years, we need to make a new instance to draw more people in since the old-new instance has had people leave their mark on it?

>>It might also allow those of us that have been here for the past 15 years or so to rediscover areas of the game we've ignored for a decade or more.

Why not just roll up a new character.

>>Starting a new instance where people would have to leave behind the characters that they have invested years into would end in failure. It's been tried with 2 separate instances (Plat and TF), and both have a population of 20-30 people.

Although, one of the reasons I like Plat is the low population. I actually feel that my character is more capable of "creating an impact" because of the lower population. Less voices in the crowd, and so on.

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 11:26 AM CST
<Starting a new instance where people would have to leave behind the characters that they have invested years into would end in failure. It's been tried with 2 separate instances (Plat and TF), and both have a population of 20-30 people. Everyone comes back to Prime because that is where the majority of people are, and where their characters are that they've invested a lot of time into. This has been tried before, it didn't work out then, and making it a mechanically different instance would just make it that much harder to get people to try it.

Agreed. It would be difficult for people to let go. And the attrition on the current base would be depressing at first. But if done right, I stand by my assessment this would be in the best interest of the business line long-term.

I know this won't happen. But if it were to, I'd be all over it.

Alright. I'll let this die the death it deserves.

Peace.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 11:31 AM CST
>>I know this won't happen. But if it were to, I'd be all over it.

If the cost isn't an issue, you really should check out Plat. Hell, we're still figuring out what crafts we're all interested in focusing on.

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 11:36 AM CST
<If the cost isn't an issue, you really should check out Plat. Hell, we're still figuring out what crafts we're all interested in focusing on.

Cost isn't an issue. Neither is starting over. I just haven't made up my mind on committing to DR again at this point. I'm a senior partner in a Risk Management Consultancy Firm. Telling other people how to run their business is what I do for a living and sometimess I can't help myself. This topic is one of those times.

Peace!
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:08 PM CST
>>I don't think this tangeant has much to do with getting back on topic, either

Correct :(. I could go into a lot of detail as to why a game that thrives on its community would suffer from it being split in half, but this is definitely not the time or place to have those discussions. Perhaps if you come to Simucon we can chat about it, though.

--

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:29 PM CST
>Perhaps if you come to Simucon we can chat about it, though.

You buying the first round of drinks?
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:32 PM CST
<Correct :(. I could go into a lot of detail as to why a game that thrives on its community would suffer from it being split in half, but this is definitely not the time or place to have those discussions. Perhaps if you come to Simucon we can chat about it, though.

My last post on the topic so as not to further derail. This is the exact arguement offered up when The Fallen was announced. The split was temporary then, and would be temporay now. Combine Prime 2.0 and The Fallen, DR 3.0 becomes the new Prime, and eventually you will see the population stabilize into the percentages much the way they are today. The difference would be that now Simu has created an marketing opportunity that will be far more successful in attracting new customers than saying "Come Play DragonRealms! Yes, roughly 100 players control everything, but you can make ingots for them!." Not likely to be successful in my view.

Now, if you can market to potential new clients, and clients that have been gone for years, that coming back to DR 3.0 now while everyone has the chance to make their name from scratch...I view that as having more potential than the former. This could be milked for up to 18 months. Relevancy. Don't underestimate its worth and don't too narrowly define what it means in the context of a subscription based MMO.

And with that I'm out.

Peace.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:44 PM CST
>DR was already esoteric and marginally accessable. 3.0 increases the esoterism and *decreases the accessability*.

I absolutely don't understand how the starred part could be remotely understood to be true. If by 'decreased accessibility' you mean 'it's slightly different from the game I've been playing for 10 years', then, sure. But 2.0 is woefully less obfuscated than 3.0, insofar as many guilds having abilities that aren't tied to any skill, many skills having unclear contests, and many spells/abilities doing odd or redundant things.

Again, this is what I keep hearing people griping about, this notion that 3.0 is an entirely different game. It's not. It's an update. The world isn't changing location wise, the commands to do just about everything are the same, or at least clearly explained (INVOKE vs FOCUS for cambrinth, for example), and the ONLY thing that's really changing to the functionality of how you interact with the game is that you'll have to spend maybe 15m kajiggering new spell caps, and maybe change your script a bit to reflect skill merges/renames. Everyone calm down; it's like freaking out that Halo 4 COMPLETELY and UTTERLY DESTROYED EVERYTHING ABOUT THE HALO UNIVERSE AND I CAN"T PLAY IT BECAUSE IT"S JUST SO DIFFERENT FROM HALO 3.

You're all purportedly gamers; act like one and learn the half dozen or so new ways of interfacing with the game/quirks, and enjoy the game you already love.

Gods, I want to buy you GMs so, so many rounds...
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 12:58 PM CST
>You're all purportedly gamers

DragonRealms is very different from most games. I am by no means a gamer, and this is the only game I play. I'm terrible at most video games. That said...

>act like one and learn the half dozen or so new ways of interfacing with the game/quirks, and enjoy the game you already love.

This. The changes are not so crazy as people seem to be making them out to be.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:05 PM CST
ya, what Jhalia said. It's not so different that its that hard to learn new routines. If even an old-timer like me can adjust platside, its not that hard to figure out. The only guild thats markedly different in the way their abilities are trained and used are bards. Which takes a bit of getting used to to CAST stuff instead of sing or chant it. Everyone else :

1. for other magic users, once you figure out what spells teach which "newmagic" skill, and how much mana to now cast it at, you can just put few substitutions in your scripts and you're good to go.

2. for traders and thieves, things haven't changed at all, except for guild reqs.

3. Barbarians will have to make more changes in their combat routines. Have to find a good place out of combat but close to the grounds to start meditations, then run there, fight, and put up the forms. Getting used to training inner fire takes a bit of getting used to as well, but not impossible.

And being that I do train all guilds <i've gotten a character to at least 50th in all guilds except bards and rangers in one instance or another> I know its an large undertaking, but not insurmountable.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:25 PM CST
>>This. The changes are not so crazy as people seem to be making them out to be.

I just want to stress that I've been playing a live version of 3.0 for over three months now and it makes the game easier_/_better in my eyes, not harder.

When I say easier, I mean:

1) I can take more risks without the risk of instant death. For example, you know how people on Riot I/II and Clocktower runs kinda hate it when the mob of the player notably bigger than they are shows up? Unless you're close to that person's level, you need to run in 2.0, because one or two hits and you're dead. In 3.0, I can get pounded on but not face instant death. I can actually try to take on that bigger mob, because being hit isn't a death sentence anymore. Even though much lower circle people can die from that mob, it actually takes some hits to die, too. So if they can call for help, they can actually get it. To me, these are good things.

2) I can start up new weapons and armor if I want to. With ~300 melee mastery, I can hunt in quartz gargoyles with weapons that I only have two dozen ranks in. Beats going back to rats and goblins again. With weapons in the 100-150 range, I can hunt baby/fledgling gryphons, and the ones closer to 150 can even go up against young.

3) My stamina matters! Sure, you're hit more in 3.0, but you don't get damage until you dip under 90% vit. This means high stamina does something! Spells that courage do more than just let you possibly not bleed to death if someone lops your arm off.

4) Magic is more training-friendly. On one hand, yes, an understanding of mana management is needed to train magic effectively in 3.0, but it was kinda the same in 2.0 too. What is new is that I don't need "that" spell in order to really train magic. It might be different at much much higher ranges, but I'm able to train magic in the 500s using basic spells. Unless I opted to get feats, I probably won't cap them out until I hit 600. And even then I don't know when they'll really stop teaching.

5) New scroll system. People actually use scroll spells without hamstringing themselves under strict mana management. You only lose scrolls if you proactively choose to or die. And you can memorize up to two with the right feat. I'm running around with Piercing Gaze to help train locksmithing and Hodernia's Lilt to help train weapons that normally fatigue me. Now, getting scrolls is still a bit of a pain, let alone the ones you really want, but this is still better than before. I actually WANT to use scroll spells outside of them just being quirky little things for the fun of it.

6) Feats. Love feats. Raw channeling alone would have made 3.0 for me. I always strived to have my Necro run around with RoC up 24/7, and now I can do that even as she's casting magic. Or maybe you want to be the most antisocial/agoraphobic moon mage ever. With enough skill, you could probably keep Steps of Vaun up forever. Fun times.

There are also other things, but I think the list isn't that bad as it is. Don't get me wrong, there are things I want to see different in 3.0 (I kinda hate that FA is pretty difficult to train when hunting, since a light hit on a bleeding wound seems to always result in notable body part damage + a stun, and I never knew how LITTLE you could do when playing an instrument vs humming), but they're minor things.

Over all, the system is a big improvement. Once everything gets a final bit of polish, I don't think anyone is going to be lamenting 2.0 passing.

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:32 PM CST
<I absolutely don't understand how the starred part could be remotely understood to be true. If by 'decreased accessibility' you mean 'it's slightly different from the game I've been playing for 10 years', then, sure. But 2.0 is woefully less obfuscated than 3.0, insofar as many guilds having abilities that aren't tied to any skill, many skills having unclear contests, and many spells/abilities doing odd or redundant things.

Not at all what I mean. In this context, accessibility refers to being able to interact with all facets of game design at a level, and within a time frame, that is acceptable to the common gamer. This is the sticking point for all MMOs.

DR needs new customers to survive. No one can deny this. I have stated several times I've approached this from a purely revenue driven standpoint. Would it suck to have to choose between continuing to play my character of 15 years in an unsupported environment or starting fresh in 3.0? Sure it would. But, I firmly believe the best chance for DR to be around another 15 years is to increase the new client base. And the best method to achieve that is to give everyone an even playing field for a bit. Otherwise, its my opinion that a year from now, you're going to find the same people playing as today with little, if any new meat.

Peace.

P.S. Yes, I know I said I wouldn't post on this again, but I wanted to clear that up.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:45 PM CST
>>But, I firmly believe the best chance for DR to be around another 15 years is to increase the new client base. And the best method to achieve that is to give everyone an even playing field for a bit. Otherwise, its my opinion that a year from now, you're going to find the same people playing as today with little, if any new meat.

Driving away people who spent over a decade on their characters for the sake of maybe attracting people who are too afraid to play a game if they can't instantly be on top of the mountain seems like the craziest MMO suicide pact ever.

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:53 PM CST
>And the best method to achieve that is to give everyone an even playing field for a bit.

If you mean what TEVESHSZAT seems to think you mean, this isn't even remotely possible. The mass of scripts and knowledge available to people who've played for the entirety of the game. True noobs would still never be on an even playing field.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 01:58 PM CST
>>The mass of scripts and knowledge available to people who've played for the entirety of the game. True noobs would still never be on an even playing field.

Hah, I didn't even account that.

But yes.

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:08 PM CST
>>The mass of scripts and knowledge available to people who've played for the entirety of the game. True noobs would still never be on an even playing field.

This.

I can understand where you are coming from with this idea, but knowing how this community works it would just not work like you are thinking it would. I started my main in 2008, that was after a character I played for 7 years and sold and then took a 3 year break. I came back and had to relearn the whole game again which took really around a year. If I started a new character now with the knowledge, and scripts I already have made, I could get back to where I'm at now in less than half the time. Any new player coming back to 3.0 and trying to take all the changes in while starting a new character wouldn't have a chance at keeping up with me or the 100s of other players that have been playing for the past 4-5 years. In 6 months I would have a 70+ character while they were probably just starting to figure out how to efficiently train their character.

While they could use it as an advertising gimic to pull people in, a new/returning DR player would have no chance against the current player base, and once they figured this out they would still end up leaving.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:17 PM CST
<Driving away people who spent over a decade on their characters for the sake of maybe attracting people who are too afraid to play a game if they can't instantly be on top of the mountain seems like the craziest MMO suicide pact ever.

This is why they call it Risk Management. And again, no one said a damn thing about being on top of the mountain. Most people are perfectly fine having it within shouting distance. In DR however, for a new player, its not even in the same galaxy. And have no doubt it is all about the new player. This fact is unavoidable. As far as driving away long-term customers, that's quantifiable. Its referred to as Good Will Revenue. Simu has built up a measureable amount of good will with the current player base. The million dollar question is how big of an impact would a decision such as this have on that variable, and for how long. The second part would be if they believed they could offset that impact with newly minted accounts. Hard numbers might change my mind, but as it stands, I think a cleverly managed marketing strategy based on a clean 3.0 would result in a net increase in overall singular accounts.

I'm alone in this. I get that. I still stand by my assessment.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:23 PM CST
>>In 6 months I would have a 70+ character while they were probably just starting to figure out how to efficiently train their character.

This is something I didnt want to admit considering how long it took me to get to my 60s (10+ years). But since Ive returned this last time Ive been figuring out how to truly train a character in todays DR... now Im set to jump from 72nd circle to over 100 the moment DR 3.0 hits (minus the quest of course)and thats only from a couple months worth of solid work. I have no doubt that if I were starting over again it would take me less than 6 months to regain nearly all of that back. A fresh face with no DR experience would be woefully behind at that point.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:25 PM CST
I don't think your plan would work. I'll use myself as an example. In prime I have an over 100th thief. I know how to train a thief. yet, that is not my highest, even my second or third highest level character in plat. Why? redunacy. You will have what i call the redundancy or - burnout factor. -- people who would say -- I've already been there, done that, I don't want to go through all that all over again. So its a good bet that Simu wouldn't take that sort of gamble and risk losing their long-term customers on making something that would be new for all of a year maybe - before you'd have the same old issues all over again, and without their current base.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:25 PM CST

Stop asking, ain't happenin' -

- They are not going to split the world into 2.0/3.0. "A Bad Idea"

- The world is not going to be fair. Some people are going to have it a bit harder than others

- People who worked/scripted their way to success don't deserve to lose what they already earned for some socialistic every one should have qual distopia.

/soapbox.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but its not happening anyway so lets move on.

Lets talk about some things we'd like to see squared away by Saturday? Maybe if the dev team gets an idea whats really bugging us things will be smoother in time for us to dive in? Again, I know these are issues you guys (the GM's) are aware of. I'm just summarizing things I'd like attention paid to before Saturday if possible.

I for one have the following things which I'd like attention:

- Cyclics pulse way too quickly. I'd like to see an almost 50% reduction in how often all cyclics pulse. Its more difficult than it should be to maintain while in combat.

- Related to 1. I've been talking with a friend who is a circle 102 moon mage. With 600 ranks of PM in prime, copied over she can gate to the riverhaven ferry from Crossing... I think moongate difficulty needs a look, before Saturday.

- Ozmandus needs an update with his responses. If you ask him about feats once, but lose his response it is not intuitive on what to do next. There needs to either be a sign that says STUDY him, or his messaging should reflect that if you ask him about feats agin.

There's more but the first two are interrelated quality of 'life' issues and the third is just going to save me repeating myself Saturday night over and over again.
Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:30 PM CST
>>- Cyclics pulse way too quickly. I'd like to see an almost 50% reduction in how often all cyclics pulse. Its more difficult than it should be to maintain while in combat.

Yes yes a thousand times yes. Ive been asking for this in the Moon Mage forums for a while now.

>>I've been talking with a friend who is a circle 102 moon mage. With 600 ranks of PM in prime, copied over she can gate to the riverhaven ferry from Crossing... I think moongate difficulty needs a look, before Saturday.

Haven to Crossing? Im thinkin theres a typo in there somewhere. Haven to Crossing is brutally simple and a 600 PM mage should have that easy. If anything MG needs to be harder. With the same magics give or a take a little I was opening gates between Ratha and Shard last night. Which to say the least is impossible for me to even conceive of in Prime. Granted that was at a 16 prep (max prep is 20) so if it stays then woot. But this has been mentioned by Armifer that he is going to slow the pulse down and raise the difficulty on MG after release.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:35 PM CST
>>Cyclics pulse way too quickly. I'd like to see an almost 50% reduction in how often all cyclics pulse. Its more difficult than it should be to maintain while in combat.

Keep in mind that if they pulse slower, they also do what they want to do slower. So if your concern is that SLS is burning you out, you'll just have SLS work in a much slower manner, which might become an issue.

That said, I don't know if all cyclics pulse at the same rate. The cyclics I've used never really burn my characters out. But I didn't try SLS/MG.

Re: 3.0 release 01/15/2013 02:40 PM CST
Well MG is said to be getting a speed fix so Im not totally concerned there. SLS downright sucks right now for me. Currently it pulses its mana on every attack and movement. And it moves and attacks fairly quickly. Unless I have a full camb orb for it to pulse from I end up spending more time trying to keep the mana in the SLS sphere than fighting myself. I think if it were to go to a set timed pulse rather than on every movement it would work a bit better but I could be wrong on that. All I know is that right now it eats mana (and no I dont have Raw Attunement and dont want it) super fast.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani