Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6
Fishing 08/26/2005 09:04 AM CDT
Would someone be willing to fill me in on how to fish?

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: Fishing 08/27/2005 01:47 PM CDT
First, you'll need a pole. You can find them free at the amusement pier, or on some of the island ships. Or you can buy them at the fishing shops on Ratha, Aesry, or in Langenfirth. The store-bought poles are collapsible so that you can put them in a pack.

Then you'll need bait. Again, free at the amusement pier, for sale at the shops.

You may need hook and line for the store-bought poles, or if your line ever breaks. You can buy them in the shops...I believe some boats and the pier may have it for free.

Once you've got those things, put the pole in your right hand, and GET <bait>. You'll attempt to put bait on your hook. It may take a few tries.

When you've got a baited hook, find water and CAST MY POLE. To push your line out, PUSH MY POLE. To pull it in, PULL MY POLE. At any time you can LOOK MY POLE to see how far your line is out, and if your hook is baited. You can also YANK POLE and WAVE POLE.

After a while, you'll get a message indicating you've got a fish on your hook (a definite tug for example). At this point it's in your best interest to PULL POLE. A fish can break your line, and can even pull your pole out of your hands into the water.

Once you've caught your fill of fish, you can sell them to a fish buyer. There's one on the pier, and near all of the shops. You can also have your fish weighed to see if it is a trophy fish. You can only weigh the fish on the scales in Langenfirth, Aesry, and Ratha. If your fish is a trophy, your name will be added to the board for all to see.

I think that about covers it. You'll catch different fish depending on where you are in the world.
Re: Fishing 08/27/2005 01:54 PM CDT
Thanks for the help

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Fishing at sea 11/29/2005 08:04 AM CST
I'm crossposting this here and in the waterways folder, but has anyone noticed a lack of fish in the ocean? When I sail from Crossing to one of the islands, the only time I catch something typically is when I near the island.
Re: Fishing at sea 11/29/2005 08:06 AM CST
maybe your bait and line aren't big enough :) I ocassionally catch octopai in the middle

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Fishing at sea 11/29/2005 08:42 AM CST
>>I'm crossposting this here and in the waterways folder, but has anyone noticed a lack of fish in the ocean? When I sail from Crossing to one of the islands, the only time I catch something typically is when I near the island.

This is similar to real life -- the ocean is so big and deep (and pretty much desert-like to a fish) that the only things you're going to see way offshore are the big pelagic species like whales, sharks, tuna, and dolphin, but even those encounters are rare. Most fishing is done around feeding grouds such as underwater structures (seamounts etc.), currents or big dropoffs like the Grand Banks or the continental shelf. So imagine that as you're nearing Reshalia, there's a steep incline where the baitfish congregate and of course the big predators that follow, which means there's more for you to catch.

~Thilan
Re: Fishing at sea 11/29/2005 01:25 PM CST
What sort of bait/line do you use Souv? I thought I was using the biggest line, and use live fish...recommendations?
Re: Fishing at sea 11/29/2005 02:05 PM CST
I was joking in all honesty, suggesting you needed some serious line to catch great sea creatures... I just use the standard stuff you get when you're on the boats

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Fishing at sea 11/29/2005 02:55 PM CST
Heh, we really need a sarcasm font or something. I figured you were serious because you can actually catch red ring octopus. Thanks :)
Re: Fishing at sea 11/30/2005 10:53 AM CST
I have had my line break twice (long ago, but they were whales I tell you, they were at least =T=H=I=S= big, maybe even bigger). I usually use meat, minnows or live fish.

mfberg
Re: Fishing at sea 11/30/2005 11:33 AM CST
>I have had my line break twice

This reminds me of something that's bugged me for years. Is there any disadvantage to using stronger line other than maybe price? Like what's stopping me from hunting bass with muskie equipment? In real life I mean.

Obviously I don't fish much. Hehe. But my favorite bait's always been minnows or fish. They're the easiest to get on the hook. I absolutely hate worms, they're just so damn difficult.

Steel.

OMG! YOU HAVE <insert ability here> YOU ARE OVERPOWERED! DIE, GUILD, DIE!
Re: Fishing at sea 11/30/2005 11:42 AM CST
Bigger line is easier to see. Certain fish are very line wary. I always use the smallest test that I can get by with for what I'm fishing for. Other people probably do it differently. There is just something about catching a 7 pound bass on a ultralight rod with 5 pound test line that I enjoy.

Dragamar
Re: Fishing at sea 11/30/2005 11:46 AM CST
>Like what's stopping me from hunting bass with muskie equipment? In real life I mean.

In real life, eh, the sport of it all. Being able to take a big ol' marlin or swordfish on <20 pound test is not easy.

>But my favorite bait's always been minnows or fish.

I love fly fishing. Even a 10-12 pound trout on a 4 pound line can be fun. Especially when you put a ton of work into that fly.

Bait fishing is no where near as much fun, well, unless you're fishing for the real reason people fish using bait ... an excuse to sit there and be quiet and do nothing where no one will bug you. "Shhhhh, he's fishing." No, actually I'm napping. <g>

My charas fish because there's nothing else to do on those long trips.
Re: Fishing at sea 11/30/2005 11:49 AM CST
Ok that makes sense, thanks.

Steel.

OMG! YOU HAVE <insert ability here> YOU ARE OVERPOWERED! DIE, GUILD, DIE!
Re: Fishing at sea 01/14/2006 03:49 PM CST
Also if you use too large a pole you won't be able to feel smaller fish bite. And as was said the fight is a lot more exciting if you're using lighter gear. My best fight was when I caught a 5 foot sturgeon on 20 lb test while fishing for strippers, it took so much line that I thought that I had snagged an underwater log floating downstream.

A little off topic but it'd be nice if fishing was made profitable or if there was a better chance of actually catching a fish large enough to make the list.
Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/05/2006 12:50 PM CST
Here are some preliminary data on what fish are found where. For each location, I've used one full box of handmade worms (20 worms) and recorded which fish I found.

I use triggers to fish, which makes it totally automated and I have never lost a pole due to this. I have also noted some anecdotal evidence that certain fishing areas are more active than others (meaning you will catch fish faster at one location over another) Not going to collect data on it, but I'm noting it anecdotally.

Feel free to add to these lists, but please mention specifically which location you were fishing at, and what bait you used.

ILITHI
Shard - Julge Dolen Zaldeni (out West Gate)
c. gudgeon
s. trout
w. pickerel
t. bream
y. chavener
y. grayling

Shard - All four bridges, Deep Current (out South Gate)
l. carp
b. cahvener
f. pardfish
l. sunfish
f. eel
s. gar
u. bream

THERENGIA
Langenfirth - the Landing, Lake Gwenalion
l. sunfish
r. pardfish
h. char
r. sturgeon
s. loach
r. eel
f. eel
c. gar
s. gar
f. pike
u. bream
b. chavener
f. pardfish
l. carp

QI RESHALIA
Ratha - Docks (INCOMPLETE)
s. bluefish
r. octopus
b. gillie
b. monkfish
b. scorpionfish

ZOLUREN
Crossing - Landfall Dock, Segoltha River/Bay
b. muskalundge
s. turtle
h. char
f. pike
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/06/2006 11:07 AM CST
I'd like to add Rathan Salmon to Qi Reshalia list and orange grek to Zoluren list.

Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/06/2006 01:49 PM CST
I haven't figured out all the places for finding fish. There are least 4 fishing area's in Ratha (I'm including all docks in Ratha as 1 fishing spot). 2 spots contain fresh water fish, the docks salt water and I forgot what type the cliffs include, though I'm thinking its a salt water type.

I've used the list of biggest fish caught in the blackboards of the fish supplies shops as what to match to when fishing. I'll try to keep a list of where I find them but at the sametime, I'm not sure I wanna give away the good fishing spots! I mean, its rare a fisherman will give out his spots! <grin>

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/06/2006 04:38 PM CST
Thanks for the info. I'll add those to my list.

Could someone do me a favor and copy/paste the blackboard list from Prime on the boards? I want to make sure I'm working with a complete list and I'm guessing your list will have all the fish available.

I think that the list in TF was a remnant from when they copied Plat to create our instance... which probably isn't complete.

As for finding spots: if people don't want me to list all the spots I locate I can keep it private. I would love any help that folks can give me though, since I'm definitely the only one in TF who is fishing and there's not much info about it here.

Thanks!
GENT
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/07/2006 08:30 AM CST
Fish
starry flounder
blue gillie
bigmouth monkfish
striped seaperch
lough char
black scorpionfish
Red ringed octopus
wrymouth eel
spottail bluefish
pile perch
Rathan salmon
blue garamor
striped needlefish
Flat- eyed creppoo
orange grek
crocodile gar
roundmouth eel
hardscale carp
river pardfish
silver samlet
spiny loach
humpbacked chub
fanged pike
small turtle
red nomlas
surlae trout
royal sturgeon
blue muskalundge
Blue - bellied chavener
Spiny - backed gar
flathead pardfish
unicorn bream
largetooth carp
longeared sunfish
freshwater eel
starry trout
whistling pickerel
swordspine snook
Cross- eyed gudgeon
Three- striped bream
yellowtail grayling
Yellow- bellied chavener
Silver- gilled sculpin
talan herring
pink salmon
coldwater redfish
chelmor cod
sting ray
humpbacked char
spotted dogfish
striped chub
Pot- bellied snapper
painted frogfish
jester fish
spotted knifejaw
Taisidonian grouper
butterfly fish
sharpnose shark
panther flounder
large alfarfish
dragon eel

That'st the list of fish I use while fishing. Hope that helps. Its all the fish on the board in Ratha.

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/08/2006 10:19 AM CST
Thanks! And wow.

There are at least 20 fish missing from the list in TF. Do you know where I might locate some of those fish on the bottom of that list??

I hope I can find those here in TF, or maybe they are only release in Prime?

GENT
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/08/2006 11:52 AM CST
Lang/El Bains: The stream crossing the entrance to blood wolves and the stream in wood trolls/kelpies all the way to the end looks to have the same fish as your Shard list.

The bridge north of Lang looks to have much the same fish as the Lake, but with small turtles added.

mfberg
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/17/2006 01:00 AM CST
i found a bone-handled fishing pole, and wondered where it's from... and do they make stronger/better poles than the collapsing ones? i've had 2 break since i've been on my fishing trip

and as for Ratha, you can't fish by merrows, yu can fish on the east end, and throughout the south end of the first tier, and off the docks, and by the fish buyer, casting here is 50 feet, 100 feet if you're on the dock, you'll get lots of gillie's, octopus', scorpion fish, blue fish, rathan salmon, a few eels, and gars, and the ocational monkfish

head toward the sea caves and you get sunfish, more bluefish, monkfish, tons of unicorn bream, flathead pard, carp

!poewr
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/21/2006 07:09 AM CST
No matter if the pole is better or not, you still stand a chance to loose it. I lost my pretty ones from the Safari shop. :-(

~Eoworfinia~
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/22/2006 01:24 AM CST
also I'm on ratha, and guessing there's other fishing stuff on the other islands... so anything better than type 9 line and type 50 hooks?
also do the premie's get anything special available? i know they have the guy on the pier in crossing... oh well
still going for the record, and still so close
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 03/22/2006 02:43 PM CST
Don't forget the stream west of Lang in housing area..nice spot as well.
Fishing for treasure 05/17/2006 02:53 PM CDT
I would like to occasionally see little bits of treasure and what not sometimes be caught as a result of fishing. For example, you might snag a random item such a bit of clothing or perhaps a small chest with a few coins in it or gem or two. Maybe even find a occasional sea polished gem in a fish here and there that the fish might have swallowed. Maybe even a weapon or some trinket, so long as it is resistant to the corrosive effects of the salt water when fishing in the sea.
Daemog
Re: Fishing for treasure 05/17/2006 03:05 PM CDT
You mean like old boots, moldy shirts and such. Yes those would be nice things to add to the fishing system. Those items could be found near towns and less often in the wilderness.

mfberg
Re: Fishing for treasure 05/17/2006 04:42 PM CDT
I think that's a great idea, Find gems or scrolls in an old boot that you caught. or maybe a pearl inside a clam inside a fish inside a bigger fish...
Re: Fishing for treasure 06/01/2006 03:56 AM CDT
>I think that's a great idea, Find gems or scrolls in an old boot that you caught. or maybe a pearl inside a clam inside a fish inside a bigger fish...

Nice one, guys.

I think My current favourite is trying to rummage myself. I keep doing that for some reason.

I think I need a button labeled, 'This is going straight to My squelch strings!'
Re: Fishing Spots - Population Data 08/01/2006 11:08 PM CDT
red nomlas can be found in Zoluren (got one off the amusement pier, officially listed as Segoltha Estuary). Dunno if you're still taking data on this, but I was using the plain meat that comes on the free poles. They seem awful rare compared to the creppoo and muskalundge, maybe even rarer than grek or turtles.

Dunno if it matters, but this was just now in Spring midmorning.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Fishing suggestions 08/05/2006 12:34 PM CDT
1)legendary fish. Requirements would be that they're blackboard-worthy (in fact, they should be the absolute biggest compared to their generic counterparts). They should be uncatchable, period, with the normal pulled-in messaging being replaced with the fish perhaps appearing to blow a raspberry or some other funnily insulting gesture before flipping back into the water. And they should be named. Finally, perhaps one such fish per fishing area.

2)the hilarious adventures of two fishermen. Maybe in addition to catching seaweed we could catch each other? Crossed hooks resulting in a tug-o-war and possible dunking into the water? Lines getting tangled together instead of or in addition to itself. Heck, maybe a miscast that embeds a hook somewhere painful. If a legendary fish gets hooked in this situation, perhaps it ties the hooks together.

3)more environmental hazards. Submerged brush and hiding spots to get the hook caught on, trees (or in the case of ships it'd be rigging and stowage) behind us, etc.

4)new ways to get (new) bait. Digging for worms and grubs, flipping over rocks for those centipede-like things, diving/searching for clams, using seive nets or a drinking glass as we sit in the water getting nibbled on by minnows (that's quite an interesting way to catch minnows, just hold the cup underwater and slowly move your hand towards it to funnel the minnow(s) in and then lift the cup out of the water).

5a)new ways to fish. Spearfishing, net fishing, box/trap fishing, trot lines, even noodling (stick your hand in a hole and hopefully a large fish will swallow your fist, if so yank it back out and toss the fish onto the bank.) Maybe with a special ability of some sort, perhaps Kaldar or Gor'tog can just yell out to the fish and have them jump into their arms.

5b)with the recent occurrance of fish (bullhead carp?) literally jumping out of the water and attacking fishermen in real life, how about some fisherman versus fish combat-like fishing methods? Evasion would mean the fish misses and either sails over the boat and back into the water or lands in the boat/on dry land, flopping around until you pick it up or it gets back into the water (probably some sort of skill/stat check here). Parry or Shield would mean deflecting the fish, with more skill causing the deflection to dry ground instead of back into the water. And if your defenses don't cut it, you get knocked out, injured, or bowled over.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing suggestions 08/05/2006 01:44 PM CDT
>>5b)with the recent occurrance of fish (bullhead carp?) literally jumping out of the water and attacking fishermen in real life, how about some fisherman versus fish combat-like fishing methods?

Moving with the speed and temerity of a swooping falcon, a minnow lunges at you! You dodge, hardly noticing the minnow at all.

Heh, I could see it now - a fisherman standing on the beach with 100s of fish flopping around on the ground behind him. LOL

GENT
Fishing Skills 10/01/2006 07:23 PM CDT
I know fishing teaches foraging and mech lore, but does it use those skills to decide what you catch? Or is that random/based on location?

Rick
Re: Fishing Skills 10/01/2006 08:55 PM CDT
>>I know fishing teaches foraging and mech lore, but does it use those skills to decide what you catch? Or is that random/based on location?

It's not considering mech lore skill when generating the fish. Foraging skill determines the weight class, while location and random chance determines what bites (whether you can land it or not is a whole separate series of checks).

For instance, in the Segoltha Bay you are never going to catch a Rathan Salmon (unless, of course, we can release fish and cross-contaminate fishing spots, but I'm fairly sure we can't as releasing them degens the fish). However, at rank 0 you will notice that all your creppoo are around 1-5 stone out of like the total 15 stone they can be. At rank 60, you will never be able to catch any of those 1-5 stone creppoo, instead landing creppoo after creppoo after creppoo that tip the scales at 8-12ish stones or better (at that point you should be getting close to catching a record).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing Skills 10/02/2006 07:18 AM CDT
Okay, I know where to get a pole, hooks, line, and bait... but where do you pick up a fish holder? I remember an old premi gift years ago that was basicly a big set of hooks on a chain that you could put your fish on for selling... are these in any shops? Wanna see how many fish I can pull in that weigh more than my scrawny gnomish self.

Kurako
Re: Fishing Skills 10/02/2006 07:30 AM CDT
Ask buyer for string I believe is the syntax. A hook and string is what you're wanting. Basically a bundle for fish.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Fishing Skills 10/02/2006 07:34 AM CDT
Excellent! Thanks much. About how many fish do they hold? For some reason my memory is that it is around a half dozen.

Kurako
Re: Fishing Skills 10/02/2006 07:36 AM CDT
It's been way too long since I mucked around with fishing, so not sure on how much they hold.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Fishing Skills 10/02/2006 07:46 AM CDT
I believe the amount the string holds is based on weight, same as a bundle. So heavier fish will fill it faster.
shinumo
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6