Re: Fishing Skills 10/02/2006 12:31 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure though that if you put a fish on a string, it is gone forever (much like if you tie a bundle or gem pouch). So if you have any intention to weigh the fish, don't put them on the string until after you've weighed them.

And correct, it will only hold a certain weight. Around a few hundred stones if I recall correctly.

http://www.drtanning.net
Re: Fishing Skills 10/02/2006 05:31 PM CDT
As I recall, each one holds somewhere around 300 stone. I never paid much attention to exact weight totals, but with creppoo around 10ish stone apiece I was able to get nearly 3 dozen on before even those scrawny things couldn't fit. Muskalundge (average of around 40-50 stone apiece) would only fit at most 7 with lots of room for smaller fish.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Fishing expansion ideas 10/29/2006 11:18 AM CST
how about snagging some fishing poles? Whole or partial, broken or unbroken (perhaps with the whole ones being cleanable and repairable like musical instruments).

And what about hooks and line? A little mech lore and they should be usable just like stuff you buy (only not as strong and more likely to break).

Maybe some other useful junk items--small boxes (ie, tackleboxes), maybe an old wagon wheel, collectible items that aren't destroyed by water (ie, no cards, but maybe some arrowheads or something), and so on.

Finally, how about being able to get snagged on immovable objects like pier piles or submerged rocks and tree roots? This would require that we could jump into the water (swimming skill) and unsnag our lines, or simply PULL the pole and eventually snap the line if we didn't want to jump in. In addition, perhaps those entering the room might get snagged along the lines of caravans running over bodies.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing expansion ideas 10/29/2006 09:58 PM CST
I like all of these ideas, excepting:

<<In addition, perhaps those entering the room might get snagged along the lines of caravans running over bodies.>>

A living person would likely move the line (in the case of the fisher) or step over it (in the case of the passer-by). Other than that, I fully endorse the additions.

-S

>Lasarhhtha pats you on the back.
Lasarhhtha says, "Others should learn much from you, yes."
Re: Fishing expansion ideas 10/29/2006 10:06 PM CST
I meant the people diving into the water, either to swim or to unsnag their hook. A line in the water is likely to have a hook, which would potentially then snag you in much the same way that lying down in front of a moving caravan has a chance to run over you.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing expansion ideas 10/29/2006 10:33 PM CST
<<I meant the people diving into the water, either to swim or to unsnag their hook.>>

Ah, I see. In that case I agree on all counts.

-S

>Lasarhhtha pats you on the back.
Lasarhhtha says, "Others should learn much from you, yes."
Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 02:24 AM CST
Greetings,

The foraging experience gained from fishing has been greatly increased. Also, fishing will now teach Animal Lore.

/salute

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 02:30 AM CST
Sweet! I'll have to try it out and see how fishing will teach me now. Thanks Ssra.

Um...Random aside, but is your avatar/title a Tool reference or am I just imagining things?

Rev. Reene

You are Caelumia Y'laeth, an Elf.
Holy Smoke, you're ugly! Who is your hairdresser? Medusa?

Get involved!
http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/text/roleplaying.html
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 02:36 AM CST
>>Also, fishing will now teach Animal Lore.

AHAHAHA

I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO CLASSES TO PRETEND ALL MY CHARACTERS ARE RANGERS NOW.

THANKS. And yes I am seriously that excited.

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance.
-Aesop
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 02:40 AM CST
Maynard is the man.

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 02:47 AM CST
That's hot.

Rev. Reene

You are Caelumia Y'laeth, an Elf.
Holy Smoke, you're ugly! Who is your hairdresser? Medusa?

Get involved!
http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/text/roleplaying.html
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 07:44 AM CST
Wow! Thank you!

Only two questions left:
Does it teach skinning to gut them? Can we use the fish guts as bait?

____
Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 07:48 AM CST
Now I love fishing even more! Thanks so much for this!

Starfay
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 09:01 AM CST
Another reason to dust off my Extreme Fishing Super Script again!

Thanks Ssra!

GENT
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 01:46 PM CST
>Maynard is the man.

Name: Maynardh Race: Human Guild: Bard

That he is... (and yes, I know his real name doesnt have an H at the end. There were multiple reasons for that.)

-Master Ndin
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 03:02 PM CST
>>Does it teach skinning to gut them? Can we use the fish guts as bait?

Yes. I don't believe so, but, why not just try it out since you're skinning them already?

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 05:02 PM CST
I haven't tried it, figured it'd be easiest to ask here first. Can you fish in all the rivers/streams in Elanthia, or only from certain places (docks/boats/etc)?

-Teeklin

"Gown Removed Carelessly. Head, less so." - Joss Whedon
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 05:42 PM CST
I've been fishing in the Lang lake. You can also fish off the dock by the barge. So far I haven't tried outside Lang yet. The learning is pretty decent IF you can get the fish to bite. Also the animal lore learning is good as well but my ranks are pitifully low for that. I'm sure there are ways to increase rate of fish capture but I haven't gotten that detailed. At least it's an interesting way to get some foraging. You can still do several things while fishing. You can't go room to room unless you pull up the line.

Calissa's player
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 05:58 PM CST
Should be able to fish just about anything thats a natural body, like river, stream, tarn, pond. Not so sure about Underground rivers.

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast proclaims in a shrieking voice, "We can offer you power beyond your wildest dreams in the abode of our lady Maelshyve. Lay down your arms, Rehlyn -- the pain will be brief and the reward eternal!"
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 11:18 PM CST
you can scrape em too, figure that gets the scales off.. seems to ruin the fish though lol

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/27/2006 11:30 PM CST
Looks like I've got a new reason to to get my Empath shock-lock.... err... Completly Insensative..

Got Body Parts?
Fishing on Mer'kresh / M'riss 12/28/2006 09:37 AM CST
Any chance on getting some poles/hooks/bait on these islands?

Drevid
Re: Fishing on Mer'kresh / M'riss 12/28/2006 09:42 AM CST
<<Any chance on getting some poles/hooks/bait on these islands?>>

You can buy poles that you can carry on your character.

I'll see about foraging up some bait.

-Ssra

Re: Fishing on Mer'kresh / M'riss 12/28/2006 09:46 AM CST
Thanks a ton and for the fast reply Ssra.

Drevid
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 01:58 PM CST
sweet! now my hungry Prydean can learn foraging even better as she feeds herself and her friends! <3
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 02:01 PM CST
Yeah... The jokes on that one are way too easy

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 02:41 PM CST
oh just one question, what is animal lore for?? fihing today was my first time learning it :D
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 02:53 PM CST
Currently: Nothing, but I'm told there is plans for it in the future.

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
~Mors ante dedecum
Nihil ante coffeum~
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 03:07 PM CST
As of right now, useless for non-rangers. Per Ssra, expect to see some new systems for everyone to use that incorporate the skill. Start training!

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true." ~Wizard Zorander
Fishing waders 12/28/2006 03:33 PM CST
Alrighty I posted elsewhere about them. They didn't keep me dry. I did take them off and was still wet. Again not important to me at all but it would be neat if they kept you dry.

Calissa's player
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 03:49 PM CST
>>oh just one question, what is animal lore for??

1)ranger companions
2)blood critters
3)fishing
4)nothing yet, because Ssra can't neglect other skills long enough to get something whipped up (ideas abound, however).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 03:59 PM CST
1)ranger companions
2)blood critters
3)fishing
4)nothing yet, because Ssra can't neglect other skills long enough to get something whipped up (ideas abound, however).

The correct answer is 4, the other 3 only teach you AL

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
~Mors ante dedecum
Nihil ante coffeum~

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
~Mors ante dedecum
Nihil ante coffeum~
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 04:08 PM CST
<<The correct answer is 4, the other 3 only teach you AL

Not entirely true. Rangers have to know some AL to get a wolf companion, and a little more to be able to track them. But yes, for the most part, there is no use for it.

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Cadet Ltorilu, Up and Coming Paladin
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 04:10 PM CST
<<Rangers have to know some AL to get a wolf companion, and a little more to be able to track them.>>

I sit corrected Dragamar. On a side not, any ballpark figure as to how much AL is required to track your companion? Does scouting play much of a factor?

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
~Mors ante dedecum
Nihil ante coffeum~
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 04:10 PM CST
I can't wait until animal lore has more uses...

Animal Lore: 204 51.57% clear

All this time I was training it just for the TDPs.
Re: Fishing EXP Updated 12/28/2006 04:13 PM CST
Yes scouting plays a factor. According to Olwydd.org:

Recently, wolves have become trackable. Although I don't know what the requirements are for this ability, I've heard people with as low as 116 ranks of scouting have been able to track them, though there appears to be a hard minimum of 50 ranks in animal lore.

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Cadet Ltorilu, Up and Coming Paladin
Fishing report 12/29/2006 08:10 AM CST
Foraging, secondary, 100+ ranks
Animal Lore, tertiary, 50+ ranks

Total time to mind lock: 2 minutes, 33 seconds.

I love the new fishing system. It's fantastic. I get mind locked ridiculously easy and it's so much more fun then foraging for herbs.

Few tips I discovered in case anyone wants to know:

-Make sure your hook has bait on it. I know, it might seem obvious, but if you forget you'll be wasting your time wondering what is going on.

-In a room with poles, be sure to get a POLE, LINE, HOOK, and BAIT. The bait needs refilling every time you make a catch.

-The greatest chance of getting a bite seems to be immediately after the catch. There's little sense in just waiting patiently for your line to drift around unless you're roleplaying a relaxing afternoon of lazy fishing ;).

-You can PULL, PUSH, and WAVE your pole. WAVE seems to be fairly effective at attracting attention. If I don't get a bite immediately after casting, I usually push the line out thrice, wave it a few times, wait a moment, then reel it back in and repeat.

So, to maximize exp gain, my very limited testing suggests you cast, wave, pull, push a few times, reel in and then repeat. Thanks on the excellent new system Ssra, and anyone feel free to contribute any other fishing info,.

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance.
-Aesop
Re: Fishing report 12/29/2006 08:26 AM CST
I'm still monitoring the experience. At this point I'm thinking I went a bit overboard (no pun intended).

I'm interested in getting feedback from folks who have relatively high ranks in foraging.

My intent was to make fishing a good supplement or a good way to get the first 100 ranks ... it shouldn't be "the way" foraging is trained.

I appreciate your feedback.

-Ssra

Re: Fishing report 12/29/2006 08:29 AM CST
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to testing it out. My Paladin's heading to Ratha shortly -- do both the Skirr and the Kree'la have fishing equipment, or is it only just one?

~Thilan
Re: Fishing report 12/29/2006 08:34 AM CST
Is there any website out there with the basics? Like where equipment can be obtained, where fish mongers are, and the syntax?

I fished when it first came out a few times, but I don't remember any of it.