Fishing gear 01/01/2007 06:04 AM CST
Dang this fishing is fun.... Well catching is fun!

Can someone post a list of places to buy fishing gear? I broke my line and lost my hook and need to get some tackle. I am currently in Riverhaven.

Thanks!

______
Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Fishing gear 01/01/2007 08:11 AM CST
Closest place to you Mags is over in Lang. Look for the fish buyer just a bit north from the barge landing. The cabin behind him contains all you'll need.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Fishing gear 01/01/2007 10:18 AM CST
>>Can someone post a list of places to buy fishing gear?<<

Langenfirth fish market near the wharf.
Ratha fish shop near the Neh Dock.
Surlaenis fish shop in a shack just up the ladders from the docks and to the south.
Illya Taipa (River Clan or whatever it's called) in stall in NE part of town.

For Fish buyers.

Langenfirth right outside the fish mark
Ratha SW of swain tavern
Surlaenis inside traders guild
Illya Taipa in stall in NE part of town.
Crossing amusement pier (premie access only)

These are just the places I am aware of, it others please post.

Re: Fishing report 01/01/2007 04:05 PM CST
Getting back on the empath track...

Quoted from other folder-
<<We've been discussing ways to include empaths in the fishing fun ever since I joined staff four years ago

Ouch, 4 years to figure out how empaths can fish without hurting the fish? Can't we just use nets?
Fishing - Prefab Fishing Poles 01/01/2007 07:27 PM CST
Put a ten minute timer on getting the prefab fishing poles to cut down on scroll and excess items in the game.

So don't throw them away unless you're done fishing.

Thanks.

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Fishing report 01/01/2007 08:34 PM CST
how bout scooping em up with aqauriams, wouldn't hurt the fish cause it'd be there natural enviroment...heavy though..

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Buggy Fishing From TC Docks? 01/06/2007 06:49 PM CST
So I decided to do some fishing on the docks while I was out in TC. But as soon as I would cast my pole, it would automatically get tangled up. I'd get the message about moving around so much has tangled my line, but I haven't moved at all. Could this be a bug? I could also imagine that maybe the current is too strong or something like that, but that's not reflected in the message I'm getting. I'll add a log of what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the help
Janick

>l
[Stone Docks, Covered Shore]
Barely extending from the shore, the dock is little more than a short series of solid blocks of weather-battered stone. Thick sheets of canvas are lashed in a tent-like fashion around this port, keeping the onslaught of the skies and winds at bay while also serving to mask its presence from passing ships. With the excessive vegetation that creates yet another disguising layer outside the canvas, it's clear that many boats could pass along the Faldesu without ever knowing this place exists. You also see a brushy break in the undergrowth.
Obvious exits: south.
Nearby in the water you see: nothing special.
>get box from ruck
You get a small white box from inside your oilcloth rucksack.
>drop box
You drop a small white box.
>get pole
You get a collapsible fishing pole from inside your oilcloth rucksack.
>open pole
You open up the collapsed sections of the fishing pole, getting it ready for fishing.
>l my pole
It's a collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end that you can cast out into the water.
You have some type 5 line.
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole isn't baited.
>l in box
In the white box you see a large glob of fish eggs.
>get eggs from box
You manage to get a little bit of fish eggs onto the hook.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>l pole
It's a collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end that you can cast out into the water.
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole is baited with a little bit of fish eggs.
>cast pole
You cast your line out into The Faldesu Delta.
>
Since you*'*ve been moving around haphazardly while your fishing line is played out, you have managed to get the line all tangled up. It*'*s impossible to fish now until you fix the mess.
>l pole
It's a collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end that you can cast out into the water. The line is currently tangled up.
You estimate that you have about 50 feet of line out.
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole isn't baited.
>untangle pole
You work at untangling the fishing line but make no progress.
>untangle pole
>untangle pole
>untangle pole
>untangle pole
You work at untangling the fishing line and manage to make some progress.
>untangle pole
>untangle pole
You work at untangling the fishing line and manage to get all the tangles out.
>l pole
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole isn't baited.
>pull line
I'm afraid that you can't pull that.
>pull pole
You barely wind in some of the line.
>pull pole
You vigorously wind in some of the line.
>pull pole
>pull pole
>
>pull pole
>pull pole
>pull pole
>get eggs from box
You manage to get a little bit of fish eggs onto the hook.
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
>cast pole
You cast your line out into The Faldesu Delta.
>
Since you*'*ve been moving around haphazardly while your fishing line is played out, you have managed to get the line all tangled up. It*'*s impossible to fish now until you fix the mess.
>l pole
It's a collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end that you can cast out into the water. The line is currently tangled up.
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole isn't baited.
>untangle pole
>untangle pole
>untangle pole
>untangle pole
You work at untangling the fishing line and manage to get all the tangles out.
>l pole
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole isn't baited.
>pull pole
You very briskly wind in some of the line.
>pull pole
>pull pole
>
>pull pole
>pull pole
>pull pole
>pull pole
>l pole
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole isn't baited.
Re: Buggy Fishing From TC Docks? 01/06/2007 07:47 PM CST
Is that an "indoor" room by chance? If you observe sky do you "peer outside" .. ?

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Buggy Fishing From TC Docks? 01/06/2007 08:23 PM CST
>Is that an "indoor" room by chance? If you observe sky do you "peer outside" .. ? -Ssra

It is an indoor room.

~~~
..player of Xochi

The Empathic Alliance - http://home.earthlink.net/~empathicshifting/
Re: Buggy Fishing From TC Docks? 01/06/2007 09:37 PM CST
<<It is an indoor room.>>

I went ahead and removed the "indoor" check for fishing. If you find places you shouldn't be able to fish, let me know.

-Ssra

Re: Buggy Fishing From TC Docks? 01/07/2007 12:19 AM CST
TC dock fishing works great now Ssra! Thanks!

Janick
Fishing doesn't teach me 01/07/2007 06:06 PM CST
This makes me sad.

My moon mage has just over 200 foraging and just over 30 animal lore, and neither move past concentrating when I am doing everything I know to do to catch fish.

My ranger who has about 440 foraging and 360 animal lore doesn't learn anything anywhere either.

=(

I know you only wanted it to be for noobs to learn well off, but it was very awesome and cool when I finally found a non-stupid way of locking foraging and AL.

Please turn the exp gain up again. Pleeease!
Re: Fishing doesn't teach me 01/07/2007 07:36 PM CST
>>and neither move past concentrating

Then you are learning. If you can't move past 'clear,' THEN you're not learning anything.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Pro Shop closed. Check out our new location in Pod Six.
War Mage Fishing 01/07/2007 08:08 PM CST
Fireball and Lightning Bolt

Cook and catch at same time.

It's not a fursuit... it's a giant paper bag.

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Fishing doesn't teach me 01/08/2007 12:04 AM CST
>Then you are learning. If you can't move past 'clear,' THEN you're not learning anything.

Thank you for your nonconstructive and valueless response that provided no entertainment to a question that was not asked to you.
Re: Fishing doesn't teach me 01/08/2007 07:18 AM CST
Of the top of my head, because I have not fully tested this all out:

Try adjusting the line weight and bait and size of hook as this seem to impact the cap on the size and difficulty of the fish you are trying for. Of course, like with all foraging, I would think that location and time of day and moons and weather and season may have an effect.

________
Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Fishing Bug? 01/13/2007 09:16 PM CST
The line is already pulled in all the way.
[S]>pull pole
look

The line is already pulled in all the way.
[S]>
[Gwenalion Marina, Fulmi Dock]
You also see a Wayerd pyramid, the Masinyo Audru, and the Blufe Cui.
Obvious paths: south.
Nearby in the water you see: the Dinamo Azmu (not far), the Bonfa Hentor (not far), the Masinyo Audru (adjacent), the Blufe Cui (adjacent), the Zelka Dock (not far), the Seord Dock (somewhat far).
[S]>drag pyr s

You grab the Wayerd pyramid and drag it south with you . . .

[Gwenalion Marina, Zelka Dock]
You also see the Dinamo Azmu and the Bonfa Hentor.
Obvious paths: north, south.
Nearby in the water you see: the Dinamo Azmu (adjacent), the Bonfa Hentor (adjacent), the Masinyo Audru (not far), the Blufe Cui (not far), the Fulmi Dock (not far), the Seord Dock (not far).

Roundtime: 3 seconds.
[S]R>
[Script Resuming.]

pull my pole

Your movement has caused extreme tension to build up on the line. The pole begins to buckle under the strain until you hear a loud SNAP!
[S]>

I had typed pull my pole to get the script to resume (where it would re-cast when in all the way) and it snapped from too much tension on the line. M My line was pulled in all the way though, where did this tension come from? Really sucks, cause I had just thrown away a spare pole 10 minutes earlier, as this one had a different line and hook on it. Oh well, time to buy another pole, was just wondering how this happened, and if its a bug or not.

-Master Ndin
Re: Fishing Bug? 01/13/2007 09:20 PM CST
I believe your line was already in, and you snapped it by pulling too many times. You should have cast pole before restarting your script.

mfberg
Re: Fishing Bug? 01/14/2007 03:04 AM CST
Hmm, that was only the third pull. Could have sworn I've done three pulls before without a problem. Makes sense though, guess its a possibility. Thanks for showing me that perspective, hadn't thought of that. Maybe when my next round of bait runs out, Ill test that and see if that was truly the problem.

-Master Ndin
Fishing spot survey 02/03/2007 12:08 PM CST
The following list is based on visibly different room names. The actual four-room circle in the goblin brook near Tiger Clan, for instance, is only counted as 1 room due to them all being named Woodland Brook.

Zoluren
The Strand: 2 rooms
Crossing Amusement Pier: 3 rooms
Skirr'lolasu Dock: 1 room
Skirr'lolasu: 4 rooms (one happens to be the Captain's Quarters, so that one might be a bug)
Arthe Dale: 4 rooms
Crossing Riverfront Portage: 2 rooms
Oxenwaithe Bridge: 1 room
Tiger Clan: 1 room
Brook (between Tiger and Wolf Clans): 5 rooms
Barana's Shipyard: 2 rooms
Bearholt's Farmhold: 2 rooms

Haven't gotten on the ferry and beyond yet.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 07:21 AM CST
I've added a bit of fishing info to my site, with more to come. Next up is to add a page that explains the fish groups and where to find them (for example, you can find River 3 fish off the Langenfirth bridge).

The thing of most interest I think is the leaderboard comparing all the instances:

http://www.drtanning.net/tan/fishleaders.html?instance=all

I'll update when I remember...I play solely in Plat but I have characters parked at the boards in both Prime and TF so I'll just do them all at once now and then.

If anyone wants to chime in on where the unknown fish come from I'll update the list.

http://www.drtanning.net
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 09:06 AM CST
Well, I have caught largetooth carp in Lang, off the Landing. I am also catching most of the fish you have designated River 2 there, other than the wrymouth eel, at least in my current catch.

Fishing spot: Landing one room east of the barge dock
Fish caught:
largetooth carp
freshwater eel
spiny-backed gar
flathead pardfish
longeared sunfish
unicorn bream
blue-bellied chavener

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 09:48 AM CST
>Landing one room east of the barge dock

He meant west. Honestly, silly humans (and a male to boot!), they never can get directions right.

-Master Ndin
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 10:44 AM CST
>>>Landing one room east of the barge dock

>>He meant west. Honestly, silly humans (and a male to boot!), they never can get directions right.

Not a Ranger, so getting lost is normal. One room from the barge boarding area, only one way to go from that room.

And what areas comprise River 1, River 2 and River 3?

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 11:32 AM CST
>>And what areas comprise River 1, River 2 and River 3?

River 3 seems more like estuary type. Fish that can swing in either fresh or salt water, found in areas of mixed salinity. All of River 3 group is found on the Amusement Pier in Crossing, as well as points slightly west of the pier (the ferry, the portage docks, etc). I'm not entirely sure about to the east of the pier, but I think everything on the waterfront and around the bay towards the Strand dock is considered Ocean type. Ocean type is also found in the two southernmost rooms on the pier on either side of the Inn (the one to the west has the free poles, the one to the east just has a broken pole as a prop.)

River 1 seems to be tributary or inland-water fish. Stuff you'd see in, say, Bearholdt's drainage ditch or the Arthe Dale swimming hole.

River 2, and this is just me guessing since I've yet to catch any from this group, would be strong river fish that live in downstream portions of the river between the weaker headwaters and the estuary zone.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 12:38 PM CST
>>DROOL

This looks awesome!

I have data for many places on the mainland (i.e. what fish I've found and the room name) that I can post if that'd be helpful.

Thanks for putting this together!

GENT
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 01:21 PM CST
>>Well, I have caught largetooth carp in Lang

Fixed. Thanks, I missed that one on my list for some reason.

>> J'Lo's post

Good descriptions there. Here's where I go when I want fish in those groups.

River 1 - Brook in gobs, Jantspyre River (Mistwood)

River 2 - Rentable boats on Lake Gwenalion and their dock/pier in Langenfirth (through the black iron gate on the barge landing). I can't recall if I've ever found these fish anywhere else, but they must be somewhere. Anyone know?

River 3 - Langenfirth bridge, Segoltha in Zoluren.

Ocean - J'Lo is also correct..unless you have a boat, the very end of the amusement pier is the place to go to fish for these. Of course this makes no sense finding deep ocean fish in the Segoltha but whatever. :)

I suppose River 2 might be large inland bodies of water (Lake Gwenalion for instance). The problem is that if you fish into Lake Gwen from anywhere else but that pier, including the barge, you get River 3 fish. It might be that you have to be in the deeper parts of the lake, and that the wharf and the boats just count as that.

My plan is to go around the provinces and get a better sample of what kind of fish are there and what type of water they're found in, then maybe we can nail down better descriptions, as well as having a sort of Fishing Map.

Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 01:22 PM CST
>> I have data for many places on the mainland (i.e. what fish I've found and the room name) that I can post if that'd be helpful.

And yes, that would be helpful.

Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 01:23 PM CST
Or if it's overly large you can email to play.net address and I'll add that info to my site when I make the page for it.

Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 07:46 PM CST
Quick note:

It's all hand-written at this point, so give me a couple days to type it up and I'll send it over.

Quick thing I noticed on the website: seaperch is found in Aesry. I've never heard of any of those other fish in that list, however. I'd love to know if they exist in the "regular" game (ie not a quest fish).

Thanks!

GENT
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/04/2007 08:27 PM CST
Fixed. That's what I get for doing it so early in the morning I guess. Thanks.

Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/15/2007 02:10 PM CDT
<<Not a Ranger, so getting lost is normal.>>

I thought it was only Rangers that get lost.
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/15/2007 02:35 PM CDT
They're not lost, they're exploring places they haven't seen before.

mfberg
Re: Fishing info and leaderboards added to site 03/15/2007 05:54 PM CDT
>>They're not lost, they're exploring places they haven't seen before (this time around).

J'Lo, no that other one
Fishing poles. 03/16/2007 10:50 PM CDT
We can carve canes.
We can carve short staffs.
We can even carve longbows.

Any chance you guys will let us start carving fishing poles?

In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 01:13 PM CDT
Heyo!

A bug that would sometimes result in your pole snapping if you moved to a new room and tried to reel it in (pull pole) even if it was already completely reeled in has been fixed. It can still snap if you have line played out and try to reel it in from a new room, but if the line is already completely in, it should no longer break the pole if you try pulling it.

This fix is live in Platinum and Prime. TF will follow in a few days.

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 02:04 PM CDT
Thank you!

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 03:42 PM CDT
>>A bug that would sometimes result in your pole snapping if you moved to a new room and tried to reel it in (pull pole) even if it was already completely reeled in has been fixed. It can still snap if you have line played out and try to reel it in from a new room, but if the line is already completely in, it should no longer break the pole if you try pulling it.

Is this a separate situation than having your line pulled in but not having moved anywhere, or will we be seeing less breakage in general? If you wait long enough after landing a fish or getting it out of the water, your pole would break even if you didn't move.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 05:02 PM CDT
> Is this a separate situation than having your line pulled in but not having moved anywhere, or will we be seeing less breakage in general?

The fix in question was for the pull verb only. Poles should no longer break as a result of said verb unless you have line out and have changed rooms. As long as the line is pulled completely in it should not break when pulled. As long as you are in the same room that you cast from, it should not break when pulled. If you cast in one room and are trying to reel it in from another room, it should break.

Let me know if you run into a situation where the above is not the case with the pull verb.

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 05:46 PM CDT
This is my pet peeve:

You rummage through a sturdy backpack and bunch of other stuff and a collapsible fishing pole.

>tap my pole

You tap a collapsible fishing pole inside your backpack.

>pull my pole

Your movement has caused extreme tension to build up on the line. The pole begins to buckle under the strain until you hear a loud SNAP!

Of course this only happens after I've walked all the way to P5 to find more fishing spots!!!

GENT