Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 06:04 PM CDT
> This is my pet peeve:

Did that happen before or after the fix was announced?

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 06:32 PM CDT
Thanks Dart. Saves me the trouble of explaining (or suffering) that particular bug anymore.

http://www.drtanning.net - now with more fish?
Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 08:26 PM CDT
>>Did that happen before or after the fix was announced?

After. But thats in TF so maybe it wasn't released?

GENT
Re: Fishing Pole Bug Fix 03/19/2007 08:32 PM CDT
> After. But thats in TF so maybe it wasn't released?

Right. TF will be released in a couple of days once I'm sure I haven't broken something else in the fishing system. Heh.

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Fishing poles and caravan storage boxes 04/23/2007 07:50 AM CDT
Not sure if I should post here or in Trader section, but there seems to be a bug when my fishing poles are stored in caravan storage boxes. It seems I can only get them out of the caravan storage box if they are in the top half of items in the box, so often I have to close and open the box again in order to get the fishing pole out.

Re: Fishing poles and caravan storage boxes 04/24/2007 02:14 AM CDT
....and yet, how full is your box?
Re: Fishing - Prefab Fishing Poles 05/08/2007 02:08 PM CDT
>Put a ten minute timer on getting the prefab fishing poles to cut down on scroll and excess items in the game.
>So don't throw them away unless you're done fishing.
- Ssra

Probably been asked for already, but since we're no longer able to effectively re-bait the hook by getting a new pole, can we please make it easier to bait poles? Observe:

>look pole
It's a collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end that you can cast out into the water.
You have some type 7 line.
You have a size 40 hook.
The pole isn't baited.
>look in box
In the white box you see some wriggling worms.
>get worm from box
You manage to get the bait on the hook only to have it split in two and fall ruined to the ground.
[Roundtime 12 sec.]
R>get worm from box
You work at putting the bait on and after several frustrating tries, you jam the bait onto the hook in frustration. Unfortunately you also ended up skewering your finger. Jerking your hand back, you only make it worse and send the bait flying.
[Roundtime 13 sec.]
R>get worm from box
You work at putting the bait on and after several frustrating tries, you jam the bait onto the hook in frustration. Unfortunately you also ended up skewering your finger. Jerking your hand back, you only make it worse and send the bait flying.
[Roundtime 15 sec.]
R>get worm from box
[Roundtime 13 sec.]
R>get worm from box
[Roundtime 12 sec.]
R>get worm from box
[Roundtime 14 sec.]
R>get worm from box
You manage to get the bait on the hook only to have it split in two and fall ruined to the ground.
[Roundtime 8 sec.]
R>get worm from box
You work at putting on the bait, but it seems to slip around the hook, and even when you manage to pierce it, it only falls apart. Eventually, you throw it away in disgust.
[Roundtime 8 sec.]
R>get worm from box
You poke your finger painfully.
[Roundtime 9 sec.]
R>get worm from box
You poke your finger painfully.
[Roundtime 10 sec.]
R>get worm from box
[Roundtime 13 sec.]
R>get worm from box
You manage to get a wriggling worm onto the hook.
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

Fuquois
Re: Fishing - Prefab Fishing Poles 05/08/2007 06:59 PM CDT
I've found that the "never-been-alive" type baits (handmade worms, and the like) are really, really easy to use (compared to grasshoppers or fish eggs or bits of meat, and so on...) My commoner with ~40 mech never ever fails when using handmade worms from Therenborough. But the trip to Therenborough (...from Shard) to buy said bait is sort of...tedious.

I'd say that baiting should be a bit easier, though. I was able to bait hooks (with live worms) at age seven, I'm not sure why it's so difficult to do in DR. If baiting is not to become easier, then it would be cool if all bait shops sold never-been-alive bait, so that fishing is a little more practical for lower level characters. (Who else is going to be fishing for skill and profit?)
Re: Fishing - Prefab Fishing Poles 05/08/2007 11:33 PM CDT
I've got a bard in Prime with 40-50 Foraging/AL and either 35-40 or 40-50 ML. He's got something like a 7/10 success rate with the free meat, but those other 3 can fail spectacularly (ie, 7 attempts within 5 tries versus 3 attempts in 20-30 tries). Baiting can definitely use a tweak, but it's not the monster everyone makes it out to be.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Fishing - Prefab Fishing Poles 05/09/2007 07:04 AM CDT
1) If you are using the free fishing poles, you are probably also using the free bait, which is always something that had been alive at one time, so will suffer from the failure attempts.

2) At 150+ ML, my character can still get failures with the non-artificial baits.

3) Said failures, along with successful baiting attempts, do not appear to have rank-modified RTs. When I fail at 150+ ML ranks, it appears to use the same amount of time as when another of my characters fails at under 10 ranks of ML.

Add-in that that 10 minute "fishing fun break" can be a pain if you like to scrape/skin your fish instead of just putting them away somewhere to sell later; and that I like to work other skills (Perception via juggling, for example) when/if I manage to get Foraging's pool fairly high, but that a pulse is 200 seconds, but the pole pause is 600 seconds...

Maybe it would be possible to make the pole pause just 200 seconds instead of 600? Please?

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Fishing titles 05/21/2007 02:17 PM CDT
I noticed there are some new titles under the Survival3 category, to include some fishing related ones.

Anyone know the reqs for these?

http://www.drtanning.net
Re: Fishing titles 05/21/2007 02:30 PM CDT
With 100 ranks of foraging and 7 ranks of animal lore, I have the following new titles:

Angler, Breaker, Fishmonger, Horseman

Fuquois
Re: Fishing titles 05/21/2007 07:15 PM CDT
>Horseman

One heck of a fishing pole you have. What bait did you use?
Re: Fishing titles 05/21/2007 09:36 PM CDT
>>One heck of a fishing pole you have. What bait did you use?

What, you never heard of the carrot on a stick?

Re: Fishing report 06/11/2007 04:18 AM CDT
>It's important that the EXP not be too much because in what amounts to less than 5 lines of code I can completely undermine the entire foraging system. We'll review the EXP there too if necessary but right now I just wanted to give people more ways to learn survivals outside of combat (still reviewing skinning/mechanical lore from cleaning fish). As an example, the new stealing system will depend in part on hiding and stalking so we're taking steps here and there to sever what seems to be a tie between combat and survival skills.

>Thanks.

>-Ssra

Ssra, could the exp from cleaning fish still be looked at please? I know this post of yours is really old and the review was almost certainly dropped at some point, but the exp gain for skinning is really terrible.

For an example...

I use a very vicious script for fishing, I spent weeks developing and tweaking to make it as fast as scripturally possible. It usually scrolls so fast I have to squelch/ignore out dozens of different kinds of lines of text just to be able to watch and monitor it, and it makes use of tactics like storing a number of fish while skinning is locked to be able to whip them out and get right to scraping without having to fish them up once skinning pulses down. The entire thing is focused around working skinning primarily. (By the way I only scrape fish, skinning them with a knife gives pathetically low exp, even factoring in scrapping's stupid constant 30 RT failures that give no exp.)

Despite this, I have horrible issues with being able to work skinning, even with paltry ranks in it. In fact, on the last post-wall at 129 ranks, I literately spent the entire rank (few hours) being unable to lock skinning the entire time, while doing nothing but working it. My foraging, animal lore, and mech all lock faaaaar before skinning, and I have to have the script sleep while continuing to reel in more fish for scrapping, or I fry my state of mind. And my ranks are as follows:

191 Foraging (secondary skill)
159 Mech (tert skill)
130 Skinning (secondary skill)
75 Animal Lore (tert skill)

I also have terrible mentals, so I have very very small pools and don't drain fast either.

So.. yeah. Because of my foraging I even reel in big/heavy fish, but even that doesn't seem to help with skinning exp any.

So again, is there any chance it could be looked at? For one it would be great to not get the no exp 30 RT complete fail (where you lose the fish to boot) so ridiculously often. I don't even ever get the normal RT partial failure ever, it just goes from scraping fine to complete failures, at an alarming rate. And second, obviously I think it should just plain teach skinning more, maybe mech too but if that degrades how much skinning it can teach, I'd rather just the skinning.

Pretty please? This is the last and only hope I have of ever catching my skinning up to my combats, short of spending hundreds of plats to buy thousands of skins to scrape.

Dragoonseal
Fishing Script 07/10/2007 08:01 AM CDT
Anyone have one that will work with the wizard?
Re: Fishing Script 07/11/2007 12:26 AM CDT
Made it last night and it seems to work. I just add fail baiting messages as they come up. This is using the barrel of bait on the pier.

fish:
pause 1
put cast my pole
match fish irregular tremor
match reel on your fishing pole
matchwait

reel:
pause 1
put pull my pole
match reel wind in some
match drop some seaweed
match stow work it free from the hook
matchwait

stow:
put stow left
pause 1
goto bait

bait:
put get bait
match bait split in two
match bait falls apart
match bait poke your finger painfully
match fish onto the hook
matchwait

drop:
pause 1
put drop seaweed
goto bait
Re: Fishing Script 07/11/2007 03:28 PM CDT
If you are incorporating the free gear, you will want to include the messaging for grabbing a new pole too soon. There's also messaging for pole breakage, line breakage, pole flying out of your hands, and line entanglement.

You might want to track room name and/or description if you can, though I think the pole breakage from pulling from another room got fixed so it don't break anymore (it might have a message you need to capture anyways, too).

Re: Fishing Script 07/12/2007 07:25 PM CDT
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Re: Fishing poles. 07/30/2007 07:56 AM CDT
A so second that, with a pretty please on top, ave worked had for a couple months to fulfil my look and actions as a fishmonger, and to have the ability to carve my own poles would be great. Also is it possible that a fish merchant title could arise, say from selling vast amounts of fish, something i also try to strive to do.

You are wearing a hat woven from dune grass with shells dangling from the brim, a pannier, a patched sailcloth cloak trimmed with iridescent fish scales and clasped with a macrame knot, a rotting leather coat reinforced with whalebone, a braided seaweed harness clasped with a shark tooth, a sea-green sack embroidered with seashells and starfish, a gold jadeite gwethdesuan, a thigh quiver dyed in a brown and green camouflage pattern, an iron-banded parry stick with brown leather straps, an origami-paper envelope, a leather neckband, an herb pouch, a dark gem pouch, a flannel fishing shirt, a fish skin belt secured with a complicated rope knot, some fishing pants and some hip waders.

Yeah to carving poles! Fishmonger Vashurok.
Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 08:46 PM CST
I'm told that under circle 100 or so fishing works foraging best? Is this true? If it is, what exactly do I need? I have a collapsable fishing pole.
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 08:49 PM CST
<<I'm told that under circle 100 or so fishing works foraging best?

I don't think circle has anything to do with it. Its about how many ranks you have. I only have 170 in foraging and lock foraging and AL with fishing fairly quickly. You need a pole, line, hook, and bait.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 08:54 PM CST
Ok, like I said I have a collapsable pole:

It's a folded-up collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end.
You have some type 5 line.
You have a size 4 hook.
The pole isn't baited.

So.. I assume all I need is bait then? Where should I find that?
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 08:55 PM CST
Sorry, I meant under 100 ranks in foraging .. not circles.
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 08:57 PM CST
I think you can get bait in Lang, Haven, and Illan Tapia.. however thats spelled. I know someone with over 400 foraging and they can lock foraging with fishing.. take that for what its worth.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 09:04 PM CST
Illan Tapia? Where's that? Just my luck Crossing doesn't have what I need.
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 09:10 PM CST
For low mech, the best bait is handmade, not pieces of animals. Baiting poles is hard to do with sub-100 mech.

Examples: handmade worms from lang. handmade flies/metal lures from ratha.

But there is live/previously alive bait you can buy in Ilaya Taipa. There is also bait on some of the boat docks, but you have to use it as you go and can't take it with you. (Except for the one piece on the pole, I guess.)

This article is actually pretty good: http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Fishing

HR>You exclaim to the dog, "You wagtail! Die!"
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 09:12 PM CST
Only 18 ranks in mech. 26 ranks in foraging.
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 09:32 PM CST
On the mainland, I recommend the handmade worms from Net and Bait in Langenfirth. http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Net_and_Bait

I'm not aware of anyplace closer that sells handmade bait, though I would happily stand corrected if I'm mistaken, because I hate having to drag my character up there every couple of weeks.

Each box of worms has twenty worms, costs 99 lirums and (I think) weighs five stones. I usually just buy 6-10 boxes to avoid having to make the trip more frequently. I thought people who recommened fishing for novices were all crazy until I found the handmade bait -- baiting the hook is just prohibitively difficult. But the handmade bait...is great.

Anyway. I think I'm a little too passionate about text-based fishing. :-/

Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 10:20 PM CST
Ok, next question:

Does it make a difference between line types and hook sizes? What are they best used for?
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 10:33 PM CST
I haven't noticed much of a difference, but I've heard it's not a bad idea to use less sturdy lines if the character isn't super strong -- a big enough fish can yank your pole out of your hands (after which it is gone forever), but I've heard if you use the weaker lines, the line will snap instead. I've also heard that bigger hooks -> bigger fish, which can be a bad thing if the bigger fish are always snapping your lines/absconding with your poles.

I haven't noticed an EXP difference for large fish vs. small fish, so I tend to go for smaller lines and hooks (at least for my commoner, who is a weakling and isn't trying to break any records.)

For hooks and lines a bigger number means a stronger line/bigger hook.

Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/13/2008 11:10 PM CST
Here's a little fishing script for Genie, if anyone is interested.

I use this in Lang, but it can easily be adapted for other locations. Will fish until your container is full and then go weigh and sell the fish. Will continue fishing until you run out of bait.

Will be adding in checks for bait later so it will fish indefinitely.

GENT

action put pull my pole when ^You wind in some of the slack line.
action put pull my pole when ^You very speedily wind in some of the line.
action put pull my pole when ^You speedily wind in some of the line.
action put pull my pole when ^You vigorously wind in some of the line.
action put pull my pole when ^You very quickly wind in some of the line.
action put pull my pole when ^You briskly wind in some of the line.
action put pull my pole when ^You barely wind in some of the line.

action put pull my pole when ^You feel a definite tug on your fishing pole.
action put pull my pole when ^You feel a hard tug on your fishing pole.
action put pull my pole when ^You feel a slight tug on your fishing pole.

action goto stow.fish when ^You've pulled in

action goto cast.pole when That's all of it!
action goto cast.pole when The line is already pulled in all the way.

action goto goto.market when That's too heavy to go in there!

check.bait:
pause 1
match cast.pole The pole is baited
match get.bait The pole isn't baited.
put look my pole
matchwait

get.bait:
pause 1
match new.box What were you referring to?
match stow.fish You need your left hand empty.
match pull.pole You need to pull in your line all the way first.
match cast.pole You manage to get the bait on the hook.
match cast.pole You manage to get a fake worm onto the hook.
match get.bait You poke your finger painfully.
match get.bait Eventually, you throw it away in disgust.
match get.pole You need to have a fishing pole of some kind in your right hand.
put get worm in my box
matchwait

cast.pole:
pause 1
match wait.for.it You cast your line
match wait.for.it You drop your line
match open.pole You'll need to open up the collapsed sections of the pole first.
match get.pole You need to be holding that in your right hand first!
put cast my pole
matchwait

wait.for.it:
pause 5
put pull my pole
goto wait.for.it

pull.pole:
put pull my pole
pause 5
goto get.bait

stow.fish:
pause 1
put stow left
goto check.bait

new.box:
pause 1
put get my box;empty left
goto check.bait

goto.market:
put close my pole
put stow r
pause 1
put stand
move s
move w
move nw
move go mark
goto check

check:
pause .5
put look in my back
put encum
matchre weigh.fish (sturgeon|samlet|gar|chub|eel|carp|loach|pardfish|chavener|bream|sunfish|pike|salmon|needlefish|gillie|scorpionfish|nomlas|monkfish|creppoo|turtle|grek|octopus|snook|grayling|trout|bluefish|muskalundge|pickerel|gudgeon|garamor|perch|flounder|char|seaperch|trout)
match out.of.fish Encumbrance
matchwait

weigh.fish:
pause .5
put get my $1
pause .5
match sell.fish stones
put put my $1 on scale
matchwait

sell.fish:
move o
put give $1 to buy
pause .5
move go cabin
goto check

out.of.fish:
echo ALL DONE
goto go.fishing

go.fishing:
pause 1
put wealth
put stand
pause 1
move o
move se
move go land
move n
goto check.bait

open.pole:
pause 1
match pull.line You must pull your line in first!
match cast.pole You open up the collapsed sections of the fishing pole, getting it ready for fishing.
put open my pole
matchwait

get.pole:
pause 1
match check.bait You get a collapsible fishing pole from inside your backpack.
put get my pole
matchwait
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/14/2008 05:38 AM CST
If anyone is interested, I have a couple of fishing scripts for Avalon that fish until either Foraging or Animal Lore are locked.

One script just stows the caught fish, to sell to one of the fish buyers later for money; the other skins them once, then scrapes until no longer scrapeable. The single skin is to make sure I get at least some skinning experience, since it is possible to destroy the fish on the first scrape, but I have never seen a skinning attempt fail.

They also both clean up the dock area so you don't leave litter around. The scraping one would need some work for others, since it is both set to use a specific container, and my swappable skinning knife/hide scraper.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/14/2008 10:56 AM CST
>>If anyone is interested, I have a couple of fishing scripts for Avalon that fish until either Foraging or Animal Lore are locked.

Interested!

- Ogoh

System Announcement: In order to simplify our mythology for newer players, all gods have been renamed after the Little Rascals. Henceforth, Urrem'tier will be known as "Spanky."
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/14/2008 12:31 PM CST
>>>>If anyone is interested, I have a couple of fishing scripts for Avalon that fish until either Foraging or Animal Lore are locked.

>>Interested!

Sent to your play.net account. Let me know if they got to you okay.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/14/2008 03:48 PM CST
>>Baiting poles is hard to do with sub-100 mech.

Unless Empaths are somehow getting a 50+ bonus to mech lore and/or animal lore, the free meat in Crossing is only hard sub-40 or sub-50. Once you start getting above 30, you're at that weird halfway point where it can sometimes be baited within the first few tries and sometimes will take 40, 50, or even 60 consecutive attempts. When you break into the 40-50 range, most of your baiting will be completed with 10 tries at the absolute worst. After that, baiting's a piece of cake.

>>Does it make a difference between line types and hook sizes? What are they best used for?

Ok, when a fish bites it's full of fight. As it fights, it loses stamina or whatever it is powering the fish-flailing. When this reaches zero, the fish just "goes silent" (no further messaging of any kind) and you can safely reel it in without fear of losing anything. Bigger line type makes it less likely the fish can snap the line during this fight. Hook type allows for bigger fish to bite, which also translates into more fighting.

Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/14/2008 05:50 PM CST
Kyn, mind sending them to me as well? Thanks!

~Thilan
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/14/2008 05:56 PM CST
>>Sent to your play.net account. Let me know if they got to you okay.

Got it Thank you, sir!

- Ogoh

System Announcement: In order to simplify our mythology for newer players, all gods have been renamed after the Little Rascals. Henceforth, Urrem'tier will be known as "Spanky."
Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/14/2008 11:01 PM CST
>>Kyn, mind sending them to me as well? Thanks!

On the way.

>>Got it Thank you, sir!

Glad to hear it. I am never sure what attachments are likely to get cleaned off, although plain text should be fairly safe.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Fishing vs Foraging 01/17/2008 02:11 AM CST
>>Baiting poles is hard to do with sub-100 mech.

>Unless Empaths are somehow getting a 50+ bonus to mech lore and/or animal lore, the free meat in Crossing is only hard sub-40 or sub-50. Once you start getting above 30, you're at that weird halfway point where it can sometimes be baited within the first few tries and sometimes will take 40, 50, or even 60 consecutive attempts. When you break into the 40-50 range, most of your baiting will be completed with 10 tries at the absolute worst. After that, baiting's a piece of cake.

Uh.. I'd still considering failing 9-10 times as 'hard', thats a lot of RT you spend doing nothing and getting no exp for.

Closer to 100 mech and you stop failing altogether and only get a single 2-4 RT, much more preferable in my eyes.

Dragoonseal