Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 02:38 PM CDT
>Don't be so hard on yourself, just talk about having cake and eating it too and see where things go.

Either your trolling skills are lacking or your comprehension skills are severely lacking. I'm not sure which, but it's at least one of them.

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 02:38 PM CDT
Cake is relevant because GM Viduus's personal opinion that wizards like 520 is because we want to have our cake and eat it too. Of course we do, as it's the same benefit and expectation that every other spiritual pure has.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 02:49 PM CDT
LADYFLEUR
I agree that sorcerers have 8 total lores they can train in, but simplifying it to just one number is also losing sight of what the tradeoffs really are. Their 8 lores are split into 2 sorcerous, 3 elemental, 3 spiritual, and I know you'll agree that within each lore type, this reduces the choices to a 2 or 3-way split. From all the other capped sorcerers I speak with, there is agreement that elemental lore has little impact on anything but 719. This effectively makes it a no choice option. Sorcerous lores are split two ways with decent thresholds coming for both demonology and necromancy around 90 ranks, which gives them the option to have their cake and eat it too. Further, Ensorcell does not require any necromancy lore whatsoever to begin gaining energy. Despite theoretically having a 3-way split with spiritual lores, in reality, religion lore doesn't affect sorcerer spells at all. Blessings lore only provides minor defensive boosts to 107/115 and a chance at self-refreshing casts for 117. So in reality, it's mostly a 1-way split choice for spiritual lores should sorcerers decide to train in it. It affects Curse for the Sorcerer spell circle, but in reality, it's also mostly used to mitigate sickness from 130, or for 118/125 for setup or utility spells. While on paper, it looks like sorcerers have 8 lores in which they can train, and this is certainly true, the reality is that they only mostly need to train in necromancy and one elemental lore for offensive purposes.

Sorcerers have 2 sorcerous, 4 elemental, and 2 spiritual lores to train in. I did not include Spiritual Lore, Religion in my numbers. Dark Catalyst (719) is certainly the main reason to train in all 4 elemental lores, as it is one of the mainstays of high level sorcerers. It alone is enough justification to train in the elemental lores, but even without that, there are certainly benefits in other spells such as the Minor Elemental spell circle. Spirit Strike's Spiritual Lore, Blessing benefit is something you often bring up in AS comparisons, yet so casually dismiss here as if no one is training it. And a number of sorcerers do train in Spiritual Lore, Spirit Summoning, as it has great utility and offensive potential with Fire Spirit and Web Bolt - just ask Virilneus.

The base Ensorcell (735) spell does not require training in Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy to function. It simply speeds up the process for the sorcerer. The base Enchant Item (925) spell does not require training in Elemental Lore, Water to function. It simply speeds up the process for the wizard.

LADYFLEUR
Within a lore class, empaths have a 3-way split with mental lores, since for all practical purposes, transference only affects monk spells and divination isn't even implemented in any spell in the game. Within the spiritual lore class, empaths have an effective 2-way split because religion lore again affects only cleric and paladin spells. Summoning lore only affects 1115 for offensive purposes (and 1118) within the Empath spell circle, and as it is also the lore sub-type that affects 240, this lets empaths have their cake and eat it for no sacrifice.

You are mistaken if you think empaths don't train in Spiritual Lore, Blessings and Mental Lore, Telepathy. Both of them have real utility and impact in combat and empaths do train them. I'm not basing my numbers off of just asking a few players either.

LADYFLEUR
While it is true that 1115 theoretically requires both summoning lore and manipulation lore, the reality is that summoning lore provides the chance for an extra 4th cycle and manipulation lore is the chance for the instant kill.

I don't follow. That's what I said. Empaths have to train in 2 different lores to get the same lore benefits that wizards simply get out of training Elemental Lore, Fire.

LADYFLEUR
In all the current discussions, there is no point in comparing base 1115 to base 519, which are not equivalent even by the data in the spreadsheet you provided. 519 at 1x lore is roughly equivalent to 1115 with zero lore, according to that data presented. But the reality is in the discussion of the post-cap power ceiling, 240 renders lores unnecessary even for 1115 because the sheer excessive warding margin alone, with the 1% fumble rate of failure, is sufficient to render the creature dead from the first few damage cycles alone. The same is true for 240 and 317. 519 has no such boost, and being entirely crit-based except the first, much lower, concussion cycle of damage, it doesn't even compare to baseline 317 because of the additional lottery factor. If a spell isn't going to reliably kill, then I am just not going to use it when it costs 2-4 mana more than a cleric or empath's spell option already.

You can certainly choose not to compare the 2 spells, but we certainly do and that's how we make our design choices. The 3 spells are not intended to be exactly even, as I have specifically noted before. 317 and 1115's edge is fully intended. However, they most certainly are comparable. We've already been over the whole 317+240/1115+240/519x3+515 debate, so we won't rehash that until there's something new to add there. We've also been over the extra mana cost for 519 vs 317/1115, as that's remedied through Mana Leech (516). I do concede there is a CS/AS advantage of 240 over 515, but I'm not convinced it's an issue. Who can achieve the highest AS/CS isn't going to win me over. If you want to make a case you can't function due to some disparity, we can certainly explore that.

LADYFLEUR
Pointing all this out isn't to suggest that we nerf spiritualists or anything. I mean this with absolutely no disrespect, but it's factually clear to me from your arguments here that you're a spiritualist at heart. And that's great, for you and all my spiritual pures, for which I absolutely love the direction of development you've taken them. I just wish it was possible to get you to acknowledge the post-cap disparity that wizards and the other spiritual pures face. Honestly, if the post-cap, single-target instant kill issue was solved for wizards with no cooldown on a comparable cast/kill and cast time parity level as the other spiritual pures, I would have no more to say about the state of wizards because believe it or not, posting on the forums every day about this isn't the kind of thing I or any other post-cap wizard player enjoys doing instead of playing the game.

I have yet to be convinced there is a disparity. We've been over it many times and it boils down to a disagreement over the roles of 515 vs 240. I get that you want to cast one spell and kill a target most of the time in 3 seconds of castRT. But that doesn't invalidate that casting 3 high level spells in 3 seconds of castRT achieves the same end result (a dead creature in 3 seconds of castRT), and Rapid Fire (515) allows for that. The entire reason I ended up allowing the complete removal of the cooldown of 515 is due to this fact. I also want to be upfront that even if we did decide to add another wizard spell to fill this role, it most assuredly would not work with 515, nor would it be a single target 950.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 03:06 PM CDT
Oh Estild, you aim to please, don't you? I knew someone wouldn't let me down and give me lots of reading material today!

-Drumpel
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 03:16 PM CDT
Drumpel
Oh Estild, you aim to please, don't you? I knew someone wouldn't let me down and give me lots of reading material today!

The discussion had turned into embers. I had to throw some gasoline on it. :)

GameMaster Estild
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 03:37 PM CDT
Wait, 515 doesn't have a cooldown anymore if you have 200 ranks of EMC?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 03:39 PM CDT
>> Wait, 515 doesn't have a cooldown anymore if you have 200 ranks of EMC?

Correct.

-- Robert
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 03:54 PM CDT
>Sorcerers have 2 sorcerous, 4 elemental, and 2 spiritual lores to train in. I did not include Spiritual Lore, Religion in my numbers.

Thanks for the correction.

>Dark Catalyst (719) is certainly the main reason to train in all 4 elemental lores, as it is one of the mainstays of high level sorcerers. It alone is enough justification to train in the elemental lores

You're correct, it is the main reason for a sorcerer to train in the elemental lores. But equally as such, it also does not matter what split one chooses among the 4 elemental lores. 719 will be equally effective with the same amount of total elemental lore regardless of split.

>but even without that, there are certainly benefits in other spells such as the Minor Elemental spell circle.

Here's where we'll have to disagree that the benefits added here via the ELR for the sake of having benefits are meaningful on an offensive level, outside of 425's flare. As a sorcerer, I wouldn't train in it just for 425. I'm talking about the offensive power ceiling at the post-cap level when I discuss lore choices here. For some the ability is there to choose to gain much more, while wizards don't enjoy that same level of choice.

>Spirit Strike's Spiritual Lore, Blessing benefit is something you often bring up in AS comparisons, yet so casually dismiss here as if no one is training it. And a number of sorcerers do train in Spiritual Lore, Spirit Summoning, as it has great utility and offensive potential with Fire Spirit and Web Bolt - just ask Virilneus.

I didn't dismiss it or say no one is training it. Certainly, sorcerers train in both Blessing and Summoning lore. I'm just saying that between the two, it is a 2-way split for spiritual lores for sorcerers. When I talk about the x-way splits and lore choices, I am pointing out that sorcerers, like all other pures, can 2x the lores that affect their spells. With a 2-way effective split for 2x spiritual lores, the absolute numbers in each will inevitably be higher and therefore allows sorcerers to reach much higher levels of power in both. This is without even considering that Blessing and Summoning lore were primarily balanced for the (then) pure spiritual professions before empaths became classified as hybrids, and very effective levels of benefits are reached around 60-70 ranks.

>The base Ensorcell (735) spell does not require training in Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy to function. It simply speeds up the process for the sorcerer. The base Enchant Item (925) spell does not require training in Elemental Lore, Water to function. It simply speeds up the process for the wizard.

This is correct, but rather than derailing this discussion into an Enchant tangent again, I'll just say again that what wizard players were seeking out of the Enchant update were things to bring them up to 2017 mechanics, which include a time parity between the spells. There is a world of difference between Necromancy lore saving a couple extra hours of hunting per week for a sorcerer who has lore vs. one who has none, and the time savings of speeding up an enchant that can be 4 months for a wizard with no access to a pool or a week or two with a pool.

>You are mistaken if you think empaths don't train in Spiritual Lore, Blessings and Mental Lore, Telepathy. Both of them have real utility and impact in combat and empaths do train them.

Nowhere did I say that empaths don't train in these two lores. It's clear my point was misunderstood, but it's why I said that empaths have a 3-way split with mental lores and a 2-way split with spiritual lores. I didn't say or mean that empaths don't train in Blessings lore because I didn't mention it specifically. I simply meant to point out that for Summoning lore, specifically, it only affects one spell in the Empath spell circle. This isn't me trying to engage in hyperbole or I assume you trying to engage in semantics, but I'm obviously not being clear enough in fully spelling out everything. So thanks for pointing this out so we can have a productive discussion. It doesn't help when people keep trying to post things, and then there's no indication of whether something has been heard, misunderstood, or needs further clarification. I do appreciate this dialogue for that reason if nothing else.

>The 3 spells are not intended to be exactly even, as I have specifically noted before. 317 and 1115's edge is fully intended. However, they most certainly are comparable.

I guess your idea of comparable and mine are different. That's fine, but it doesn't address the issue.

>We've already been over the whole 317+240/1115+240/519x3+515 debate, so we won't rehash that until there's something new to add there.

This is the problem. It doesn't make sense to me to suggest that we use 515+519x3, which next to no post-cap wizard did ever, even with pre-nerf 519, precisely because it is ineffective and does not yield a guaranteed enough kill result for a very high mana cost. It's correct that pre-nerf 519 instant kill was ~26%. Probability tells us that just relying on repetitive casts with no AS/CS boost involved to improve the actual kill odds, you're looking at 12 casts for ~97% chance of an instant death occurring. Probability also tells us that with the bolt chances (I don't know where to dig this up now, but I think it was posted to be around 45% for a CHANNELed bolt), one would need 6 CHANNELed bolts to reach the same level of effectiveness. What's new to add here is that neither of your suggestion of 515+519x3 or 515+bolt combo will result in a guaranteed result to the level that 240+317 or 240+1115 delivers due to the fact that excessive AS/CS is the factor that allows the cleric and empath solutions to overcome lack of lore and go straight to reliable instant kill with just one additional free mana cast with no EBP problems faced.

Pre-nerf, post-cap pure wizards did not just spam 515 with 0 CT because it was cool. It was annoying as heck screen scroll. People did it because it was the only way to overcome the EBP and bolt weakness issue at the post-cap level, so pre-nerf 515 was a band-aid. Pre-nerf, wizards used 519 as an alternative to this or to combat creatures with high bolt AS, but again, it wasn't nearly as guaranteed a solution as 240 delivers with only a 26% instant kill even at maximum lore.

Post-nerf 515 has been changed to disallow this, but in my view it delivers an appropriately limited level of power pre-cap due to mana constraints, while not being enough of a solution post-cap to reach parity in the offensive power ceiling with the post-cap spiritual pures.

>We've also been over the extra mana cost for 519 vs 317/1115, as that's remedied through Mana Leech (516). I do concede there is a CS/AS advantage of 240 over 515, but I'm not convinced it's an issue. Who can achieve the highest AS/CS isn't going to win me over. If you want to make a case you can't function due to some disparity, we can certainly explore that.

We're still stuck in disagreement on the point just above, so there's no point talking about the extra mana cost in the post-cap, single target instant kill issue. I implore you to run some actual numbers for a spiritual pure with maximum CS enhancives and see what the cast/kill is for 240+317 and 240+1115. Compare that to a wizard build with maximum bolt AS enhancives and the result you want us to achieve using primarily bolts. 240 lethality happens BECAUSE of the CS/AS advantage. There is rarely a case where a creature has boosted DS/TD such that 240 cannot overcome it. In contrast, many creatures have extremely high bolt DS and elemental TD. We've already talked about this before too, so I assume those won't be revisited. Regardless, it is a factor. It's about effective warding margin on a CS level and needing the bolt AS boost plus simultaneous multi-cast of 6 bolts to overcome the EBP issue, even with the use of 909 stomp.

>We've been over it many times and it boils down to a disagreement over the roles of 515 vs 240. I get that you want to cast one spell and kill a target most of the time in 3 seconds of castRT. But that doesn't invaldate that casting 3 high level spells in 3 seconds of castRT achieves the same end result (a dead creature in 3 seconds of castRT), and Rapid Fire (515) allows for that. The entire reason I ended up allowing the complete removal of the cooldown of 515 is due to this fact.

515 doesn't deliver the result that 240 does. Nor does it invalidate that having to hit 4 macros to achieve one kill vs. 1 or 2 is a huge quality of life downgrade for a wizard. Just look at Duskruin and the thousands of runs one has to do per event. I know you don't balance around Duskruin, but that is simply to illustrate the repetitive nature of wizard combat vs. combat for other pures that is more and more of a concern with the grind-heavy nature of the direction things are going for events AND daily hunting. I will disagree again that just because most people use Lich or script hunting or bought another capped character to use as their primary hunting character, this makes the quality of life disparity acceptable for those who want to continue to actually play the game manually.

Wizards use 515 in combat not because it is super powerful or anything but because it is necessary to achieve a comparable level of lethality. Those pre-cap don't really use it much due to mana constraints. What's most overpowering is that 515 is still able to be other-cast on clerics and sorcerers for much more effective benefit, and those are the professions who can afford to pay a cooldown mana penalty per cheap spell to run it without limit.

515 is never going to allow you to overhunt or fight a boss creature you might otherwise not be able to touch if you cannot hit it with your base AS/CS. 240, in contrast, provides that extra boost of power that makes the sky the power ceiling when it comes to fighting post-cap creatures in reality.

>I also want to be upfront that even if we did decide to add another wizard spell to fill this role, it most assuredly would not work with 515, nor would it be a single target 950.

I would obviously expect it to not work with 515. But at the same time, if it's a bolt solution to fill the role, I will again have to raise my 3 main sticking points of the AS/CS boost, up to 6 multi-casts to produce a result comparable to the warding system without its EBP limitations, and it needs to have no cooldown like any other offensive spell for the other pures.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 04:00 PM CDT
Thank you Fleurs for post 3894 and 3895.

The flamepoint sand kitten hisses at a patchwork flesh monstrosity.
... 9 points of damage!
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 04:16 PM CDT
>>I have yet to be convinced there is a disparity.

I think there is one, myself, Estild. In many of the situations we wizards (in particular) discuss, we tend to head towards comparisons in the 'singular'. It's hard for us sometimes to see a larger picture. In this case, though - I'd like to try to extend that picture a bit.

The variance (my word, I'll explain why at the end) has to do with environment and opportunity. Taken as a single encounter - one spell cast and dead, versus three spells cast and dead - I agree (presuming I can actually get a bolt to hit something vital!) with your assessment. But, as should be no surprise, a hunt is comprised of many single encounters in a row; and at post-cap, many single encounters in a row where oftentimes the very environment is working against the hunter.

In the hunting scenario, the empath (to randomly chose an example) can move into a room / area and encounter one creature. One cast, one loot and one second later (perhaps faster on a good connection and a good day) that empath can likely move on. The wizard in that same situation might be able to equal the feat, albeit rare - and so the wizard is likely to take two casts, or possibly even three, meaning that one encounter for the wizard from moment of meeting to moment of being ready to move again could be two times, or even three times as long. Some hunting areas make standing around in the same room (environment) rather risky. Movement is often considered a defensive strategy, with those rooms well marked where the environmental effects can be less.

In the hunting scenario where the empath enters a room / area and encounters two creatures, that empath can get a cast off, loot and can likely move on in about a second - fading into the environment and pausing three or four seconds to see if the second creature will follow. If not, the empath can opt to do another strafing run. This holds true for almost any number of creatures - but higher numbers of creatures changes the dynamic a bit. The wizard in that same situation will likely either at the outset fade into the environment, or take a greater risk and try equaling the feat. Success is much less likely than for the empath in the scenario proposed. But here's a nuance.

In the well-post cap areas, creatures often have disabling abilities and extended time in front of those creatures can have. . . unfortunate effects. In the multi-creature encounter above (which can occur anytime after the first cast is made), the wizard has to make a choice to stick and strike that second or third time, while that requirement isn very likely not even on the empath's radar. This extends the potential opportunity for these unfortunate effects. That's 2 to 3 times the risk, as well.

I'm not going to go into the 'AS / CS / have to go stance offensive' discussion - that's a choice that we each make as we hunt. Yes, we as wizards are encouraged to use a particular one, but that doesn't mean we must. So I'll leave that lie here for now.

I'm also not going to go into the 'faster hunting' discussion - I feel that at the speeds we're talking, the NPC gen rates could well be the ceiling variable there. So that one I'll also leave lie here for now.

If we string together enough of these types of encounters (a hunt), the variance becomes a bit more pronounced and thereby a bit easier to see / understand. Wizards are also pretty tough - and so can withstand a lot of these modest incremental risks.

But this isn't about withstanding - it's about the variance itself. I call it a variance because to me it isn't a bad thing - it is part of the challenge that I enjoy. It's a part of the reason why the Elf is much more likely to get my idle attention than the Giantman the Human or the Dwarf - the wizard profession can be a bit more challenging. But I am also reminded - quite rightly - that view is a 'play-style kind o' fing' as Corporal Nobby might say.

I'm not interested in 'equality'. I personally don't have a huge stake in 'parity'. But I do see the variance. That's part of the reason why I've been making some suggestion spells that attempt to hit the 'single cast' mechanism. That one second pause versus potentially three second pause does have some slight meaning and subtle risk, even though some of the points that are made by others I don't really agree with. The variance is there - and at any given interval it's measured it is very small; almost unnoticeable and no impact. But over a hunt - or even worse over many hunts (what else is there to do post cap?) - it becomes noticeable. I wouldn't say unfair, or crippling, but definitely there.

>>it most assuredly would not work with 515, nor would it be a single target 950.

Thank you for clarifying - definitely helps with suggestions going forward.

Doug
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 04:26 PM CDT
>But over a hunt - or even worse over many hunts (what else is there to do post cap?) - it becomes noticeable.

This is pretty much what I've been trying to say. Yes, you can say it's viable, but for the post-cap pure wizard who held the post-cap instant kill as the holy grail of magic, it's both a quality of life and satisfaction factor. It's just no longer fun to plink away at something even if the cast time parity largely holds.

I say this with the greatest respect when I say that sometimes Dev has so many numbers to look at, it can be possible to miss some of the forest for the trees. If looking only at individual numbers, yes, on paper it sounds like a sorcerer has 8 lores they can train in so their costs are higher. While the total training cost might be higher, the power potential is there, and the tradeoffs within each sphere are much less.

In that Dev spreadsheet, 519 on paper might look "comparable", but that 1x lore variance adds up to a lot different feel over a number of manual hunts rather than a data collection, I assume is done with the aid of some type of automated tools.

Same with the 240/515 discussion. I feel that sometimes these discussions are necessary on both sides because it's difficult for players to guess what Dev is thinking, while Estild clearly has probably ignored all of what I said all along after seeing "x-way" split because he only focused on the one single number. (hyperbole) It's far less frustrating on both sides if Dev doesn't spend a great deal of time working on something, thinking it was clearly what players wanted, when it completely missed the actual target of the problem. So thanks for this dialogue again.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 05:26 PM CDT
LADYFLEUR
You're correct, it is the main reason for a sorcerer to train in the elemental lores. But equally as such, it also does not matter what split one chooses among the 4 elemental lores. 719 will be equally effective with the same amount of total elemental lore regardless of split.

That's not how it works. Each elemental lore only affects the damage of that type. To affect all 4 damage types that 719 can deal, it requires training in 4 different lores. Due to the usual diminishing returns, there's a much greater return on 12 ranks in each elemental lore vs 48 ranks into a single lore.

LADYFLEUR
I didn't dismiss it or say no one is training it. Certainly, sorcerers train in both Blessing and Summoning lore. I'm just saying that between the two, it is a 2-way split for spiritual lores for sorcerers. When I talk about the x-way splits and lore choices, I am pointing out that sorcerers, like all other pures, can 2x the lores that affect their spells. With a 2-way effective split for 2x spiritual lores, the absolute numbers in each will inevitably be higher and therefore allows sorcerers to reach much higher levels of power in both. This is without even considering that Blessing and Summoning lore were primarily balanced for the (then) pure spiritual professions before empaths became classified as hybrids, and very effective levels of benefits are reached around 60-70 ranks.

Yes, a sorcerer can 2x in Spiritual Lore, 2x in Elemental Lore, and 2x in Sorcerous lore. They're also spending 2-3x as many training points and each lore sphere is affecting a smaller subset of their spells in return. If you want to argue their gaining more in the post-cap area since due to this setup and there being almost no opportunity cost, that's fine - make that point. But that's not the same as saying they only have a 2-way split.

LADYFLEUR
This is correct, but rather than derailing this discussion into an Enchant tangent again, I'll just say again that what wizard players were seeking out of the Enchant update were things to bring them up to 2017 mechanics, which include a time parity between the spells. There is a world of difference between Necromancy lore saving a couple extra hours of hunting per week for a sorcerer who has lore vs. one who has none, and the time savings of speeding up an enchant that can be 4 months for a wizard with no access to a pool or a week or two with a pool.

I can't stress this enough, but a few people posting on the forums does not constitute a majority. Sure, a few wizards that post on the forums wanted the enchant version of 735. But I can also tell you there are a number of wizards who have no interest in hunting to have to enchant. More so, even if we did implement it as such, I think there's some false premise that you'd suddenly be able to knock out 7x enchants at some rate higher than it currently is possible, which is not true. There's been no justification to make the case that wizards should be able to enchant faster than they already do, and even if we did, I hope you realize the end result is that wizards end up getting paid less for the service since it's more readily available. I fully expect we'd get blamed for that as well, just like the fact that temper times went up because we made Enchant better so more wizards were using it.

LADYFLEUR
This is the problem. It doesn't make sense to me to suggest that we use 515+519x3, which next to no post-cap wizard did ever, even with pre-nerf 519, precisely because it is ineffective and does not yield a guaranteed enough kill result for a very high mana cost. It's correct that pre-nerf 519 instant kill was ~26%. Probability tells us that just relying on repetitive casts with no AS/CS boost involved to improve the actual kill odds, you're looking at 12 casts for ~97% chance of an instant death occurring. Probability also tells us that with the bolt chances (I don't know where to dig this up now, but I think it was posted to be around 45% for a CHANNELed bolt), one would need 6 CHANNELed bolts to reach the same level of effectiveness. What's new to add here is that neither of your suggestion of 515+519x3 or 515+bolt combo will result in a guaranteed result to the level that 240+317 or 240+1115 delivers due to the fact that excessive AS/CS is the factor that allows the cleric and empath solutions to overcome lack of lore and go straight to reliable instant kill with just one additional free mana cast with no EBP problems faced.

There's nothing ineffective about 515. It only cost 15 mana, lasts for 1 minute, and allows the wizard to cast 3x as fast. There's literally almost no reason not to use it. No matter how fast you can kill something without it, you can kill faster with it. For the original 519, it was about 26% (or there about) for the instant kill chance, but that also ignores the deaths from the heat criticals alone, which were deadly.

No cast of any spell is guaranteed to kill any target. High probability, sure. More so, 240 is not as powerful as it is simply because of the AS/CS boost. If that were case, I could simply add that boost to the caster's original cast and not need the subsequent casts, correct? I'm willing to bet there would be a significant increase in the number of casts needed to kill any target under that model. More so, such a boost really only matters in certain areas, mainly where we do not balance around a single profession, such as the Scatter or Duskruin. The Scatter was mostly intended as a group hunting area. The fact that a few professions can solo there isn't going to be enough justification to drive us to significantly increase other profession's strength just because they want to do the same. Duskruin is entirely designed around existing combat mechanics, which are not idea for competitive matches. If Wyrom wants to bring parity to that, he certainly has options to make the creatures immune to various spells, but that's his call and it's not something we're going make game-wide changes based around.

LADYFLEUR
Pre-nerf, post-cap pure wizards did not just spam 515 with 0 CT because it was cool. It was annoying as heck screen scroll. People did it because it was the only way to overcome the EBP and bolt weakness issue at the post-cap level, so pre-nerf 515 was a band-aid. Pre-nerf, wizards used 519 as an alternative to this or to combat creatures with high bolt AS, but again, it wasn't nearly as guaranteed a solution as 240 delivers with only a 26% instant kill even at maximum lore.

Of course, players use what's efficient and effective. 515 still serves the same role as it did, we just limit it to speeding up casting to 3x the normal level. Still efficient and effective, just as to the same imbalanced levels as before. I agree that EBP can be an issue for bolting, which is why we mainly addressed that through Tremors (909), which requires no extra time on part of the wizard to use during combat (since the activation does not incur RT or castRT). It doesn't completely eliminate the chance, but removing 5% evade, 5% block, and %5 parry isn't negligible either.

LADYFLEUR
We're still stuck in disagreement on the point just above, so there's no point talking about the extra mana cost in the post-cap, single target instant kill issue. I implore you to run some actual numbers for a spiritual pure with maximum CS enhancives and see what the cast/kill is for 240+317 and 240+1115. Compare that to a wizard build with maximum bolt AS enhancives and the result you want us to achieve using primarily bolts. 240 lethality happens BECAUSE of the CS/AS advantage. There is rarely a case where a creature has boosted DS/TD such that 240 cannot overcome it. In contrast, many creatures have extremely high bolt DS and elemental TD. We've already talked about this before too, so I assume those won't be revisited. Regardless, it is a factor. It's about effective warding margin on a CS level and needing the bolt AS boost plus simultaneous multi-cast of 6 bolts to overcome the EBP issue, even with the use of 909 stomp.

See my above point on disagreeing that 240 is lethal because of the CS/AS advantage. To further illustrate my point:

>incant 317
You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Divine Fury spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a war griffin.
Particles of dust and soot rise from the ground at your feet as you release a pulsating, platinum ripple of energy toward a war griffin!
CS: +624 - TD: +418 + CvA: +25 + d100: +84 == +315
Warding failed!
The war griffin is cloaked in a blinding platinum light and assailed for 135 points of damage!
... 31 points of damage!
Glaring burst to the war griffin's chest dances across skin leaving smoking holes!
... 18 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the war griffin's left leg!

>incant 317
You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Divine Fury spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an Ithzir champion.
Particles of dust and soot rise from the ground at your feet as you release a pulsating, platinum ripple of energy toward an Ithzir champion!
CS: +624 - TD: +424 + CvA: +25 + d100: +39 == +264
Warding failed!
The Ithzir champion is cloaked in a blinding platinum light and assailed for 171 points of damage!
... 55 points of damage!
Muscle and bone blasted to pieces by searing wave of energy!
An Ithzir champion falls to the ground grasping her mangled right leg!
... 35 points of damage!
Weapon arm mangled horribly.

>incant 317
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an infernal lich.
Particles of dust and soot rise from the ground at your feet as you release a pulsating, platinum ripple of energy toward an infernal lich!
CS: +624 - TD: +447 + CvA: +25 + d100: +44 == +246
Warding failed!
The infernal lich is cloaked in a blinding platinum light and assailed for 111 points of damage!
... 50 points of damage!
Muscle and bone blasted to pieces by searing wave of energy!
The infernal lich is stunned!
... 20 points of damage!
Whoosh! Several ribs driven into lungs.

This result can pretty much be duplicated with almost any high level creature. A higher CS does cause more damage and higher crit levels, but a better result is achieved from multiple casts, which will do more overall damage and have a better chance for one of the crits hitting a vital area.

Some creatures are designed to be resistant to certain forms of attack, which might explain inexplicably high ETD or bolt AS. But in most grounds, it shouldn't be an issue for all the possible creatures there. I'm also willing to look into any reports of specific creatures if you think their values are too high. Bolting should definitely be possible.

LADYFLEUR
515 doesn't deliver the result that 240 does.

Show me how it doesn't. I'm more than willing to be convinced.

LADYFLEUR
Nor does it invalidate that having to hit 4 macros to achieve one kill vs. 1 or 2 is a huge quality of life downgrade for a wizard. Just look at Duskruin and the thousands of runs one has to do per event. I know you don't balance around Duskruin, but that is simply to illustrate the repetitive nature of wizard combat vs. combat for other pures that is more and more of a concern with the grind-heavy nature of the direction things are going for events AND daily hunting. I will disagree again that just because most people use Lich or script hunting or bought another capped character to use as their primary hunting character, this makes the quality of life disparity acceptable for those who want to continue to actually play the game manually.

Different professions kill in different ways. I'm not going to make game impacting changes simply because you want to hit 1 keystroke instead of 3. Many other professions kill much slower and with more keystrokes. You can exclaim "tedium!" as many times as you want, and it's ideally something we try to avoid, but not at the cost of imbalance or profession homogenization. And as you note, options exist to minimize it, whether you choose to use them or not.

Doug
Taken as a single encounter - one spell cast and dead, versus three spells cast and dead - I agree (presuming I can actually get a bolt to hit something vital!)

Even without hitting a vital location, bolts can easily deal 100-150 damage per cast, which would kill most targets after 3 casts (450 damage). It's not guaranteed (nothing ever is), but it's reliable against most creatures.

Doug
In the hunting scenario, the empath (to randomly chose an example) can move into a room / area and encounter one creature. One cast, one loot and one second later (perhaps faster on a good connection and a good day) that empath can likely move on. The wizard in that same situation might be able to equal the feat, albeit rare - and so the wizard is likely to take two casts, or possibly even three, meaning that one encounter for the wizard from moment of meeting to moment of being ready to move again could be two times, or even three times as long. Some hunting areas make standing around in the same room (environment) rather risky. Movement is often considered a defensive strategy, with those rooms well marked where the environmental effects can be less.
In the hunting scenario where the empath enters a room / area and encounters two creatures, that empath can get a cast off, loot and can likely move on in about a second - fading into the environment and pausing three or four seconds to see if the second creature will follow. If not, the empath can opt to do another strafing run. This holds true for almost any number of creatures - but higher numbers of creatures changes the dynamic a bit. The wizard in that same situation will likely either at the outset fade into the environment, or take a greater risk and try equaling the feat. Success is much less likely than for the empath in the scenario proposed. But here's a nuance.

Absolutely. And sometimes, the wizard will kill the target on the first or second cast and be moving on to the next target or room to encounter another creature. In those scenarios, the wizard is attacking their next target 1-2 seconds faster while the empath is still stuck in castRT. It goes both ways. In addition, we've given wizards a number of tools to better defend themselves for such scenarios. No other profession gets free heavy crit padding, negates a base 20% of all roundtime, a 25% chance to snap back through time to better defend against a physical attack, and lastly a chance to stop time to better manage a bad situation when it is encountered a few times per day.

Doug
In the well-post cap areas, creatures often have disabling abilities and extended time in front of those creatures can have. . . unfortunate effects. In the multi-creature encounter above (which can occur anytime after the first cast is made), the wizard has to make a choice to stick and strike that second or third time, while that requirement isn very likely not even on the empath's radar. This extends the potential opportunity for these unfortunate effects. That's 2 to 3 times the risk, as well.

This is very true, but we also gave wizards the single best room clearing ability in the game. Sometimes the best defense is a strong offense. No, you wouldn't use it on a room with just 2 or so creatures, but it's also not really needed there, as the risk is much less.

Doug
But this isn't about withstanding - it's about the variance itself. I call it a variance because to me it isn't a bad thing - it is part of the challenge that I enjoy. It's a part of the reason why the Elf is much more likely to get my idle attention than the Giantman the Human or the Dwarf - the wizard profession can be a bit more challenging. But I am also reminded - quite rightly - that view is a 'play-style kind o' fing' as Corporal Nobby might say.

I'll grant you that in the way you're defining variance, it exists...for every profession. And that's good, as we don't want all professions being the same. However, for my previous statement about a disparity, I intended that more as a significant gap. Yes, there's a difference, and we couldn't even make it 100% equal if we wanted to unless all professions are using the exact same spells/abilites, but I'm not convinced that wizards are lacking in the kill speed efficiency area. I've personally watched a number of the wizards who post on these forums and you guys can certainly tear through creatures. That's not to say other casters don't too, but I don't see this huge gap.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 06:21 PM CDT
Thanks again for the detailed response, Estild. It's very much appreciated.

>That's not how it works. Each elemental lore only affects the damage of that type. To affect all 4 damage types that 719 can deal, it requires training in 4 different lores. Due to the usual diminishing returns, there's a much greater return on 12 ranks in each elemental lore vs 48 ranks into a single lore.

There may be diminishing returns, but the Wiki says that: "On a successful cast, five individual strikes are unleashed upon the target. In order: essence (health only, no critical), fire, ice, lightning, and impact."

"At twelve ranks of a given lore, the critical rank of the relevant damage cycle is increased by one level; at fifty lore ranks, it is increased by 2 levels; and at one hundred lore ranks, it is increased by 3 levels."

And due to those diminishing returns, a post-cap sorcerer I greatly respect suggests mostly training in fire lore because the initial strikes have the greatest impact. If something dies already because of cycles 1 or 2, what happens after that has little relevance to the final result.

Regardless, the fact remains that with elemental lores largely only affecting a single offensive spell, there is no sacrifice needed between prioritizing lores within the sphere for one spell or another. It all yields offensive benefit in the end.

>Yes, a sorcerer can 2x in Spiritual Lore, 2x in Elemental Lore, and 2x in Sorcerous lore. They're also spending 2-3x as many training points and each lore sphere is affecting a smaller subset of their spells in return.

And I would rather have this post-cap power ceiling potential than the sub-par choices that wizards face today regardless how much experience we have. Ironically, as you brought up Virilneus... it sounds like he would be much happier being a wizard today and I a sorcerer than the status quo we have. :\

>But I can also tell you there are a number of wizards who have no interest in hunting to have to enchant.

Yes, they're called pocket mages. That's totally fine for someone to want to play their character that way, but I disagree it is in the profession's interest to develop around that expectation. I prefer development to occur with the actively hunting character in mind, and requiring the character to be present for benefits to be retained/realized as with the many examples I've given of your and this Dev team's contributions to clerics and group spells. A utility character logged in just to cast and log off again already has the benefit of being a spell bot to provide spells. Enchanting is a privilege, not a right of every wizard who doesn't even actively hunt.

>I hope you realize the end result is that wizards end up getting paid less for the service since it's more readily available.

I have no interest in how much wizards get paid for our services. It's not even worth selling as it is for the time put in, so how could it possibly be worth any less? What I, and I believe Raggler mentioned, care about is being able to achieve higher benefits even if it takes a wizard-attuned potion or some other extra step short of attuning the finished product to the wizard.

>There's literally almost no reason not to use it.

The pre-cap, mana constrained wizards would probably disagree.

>No matter how fast you can kill something without it, you can kill faster with it.

The same is true for 240. What isn't true of 515 is that it kills in fewer actual CASTS per kill (manually hit macro keys), rather than the automated double cast by the spirit slayer. What also isn't true is that it can allow you to hit or kill creatures you cannot kill naturally due to insufficient bolt AS or CS, which 240 allows.

>No cast of any spell is guaranteed to kill any target. High probability, sure.

Yes, I'm asking for high probability, enough such that it can be reliably guaranteed.

>More so, 240 is not as powerful as it is simply because of the AS/CS boost. If that were case, I could simply add that boost to the caster's original cast and not need the subsequent casts, correct? I'm willing to be there would be a significant increase in the number of casts needed to kill any target under that model.

This is why every statement I've made about a potential fix for wizards involves BOTH the boost and simultaneous multi-casts and why I've refuted every suggestion to simply copy 240, as for bolts, 2 casts is insufficient to reach a similar level of lethal probability that the other spiritual pures enjoy.

>The Scatter was mostly intended as a group hunting area. The fact that a few professions can solo there isn't going to be enough justification to drive us to significantly increase other profession's strength just because they want to do the same.

I expect similar classes of professions (pures, semis, squares) to have a similar level of effectiveness and strength in hunting any given area in the game. There are different hunting grounds for this very reason. It's a disservice to wizards to ask us to aspire to less. This is when things become less fun and people lose interest in playing their characters.

>If Wyrom wants to bring parity to that, he certainly has options to make the creatures immune to various spells, but that's his call and it's not something we're going to implement game-wide changes based around.

You keep saying this, but I bring up Duskruin only as an example of repetition in combat. Whether it's Duskruin or another hunting ground, the fact remains that wizards suffer more manual casts/macro keys per kill than any other pure profession. This is the part that is important to me and affects my quality of life in daily hunting.

>Of course, players use what's efficient and effective. 515 still serves the same role as it did, we just limit it to speeding up casting to 3x the normal level. Still efficient and effective, just as to the same imbalanced levels as before.

I think this is where you may not understand what wizard players are talking about where pressing a key and holding it down is less tedious than repeatedly hitting a key/macro and waiting 1 sec to repeat the same action until the result is achieved. It's no longer anywhere near as efficient or effective, or there would be no point in me having this discussion.

>I agree that EBP can be an issue for bolting, which is why we mainly addressed that through Tremors (909), which requires no extra time on part of the wizard to use during combat (since the activation does not incur RT or castRT). It doesn't completely eliminate the chance, but removing 5% evade, 5% block, and %5 parry isn't negligible either.

It may not be negligible, but it's nowhere near parity with what the spiritual pures enjoy from the warding system and their core CS-based spells. I do use Tremors all the time, and it makes little difference.

>See my above point on disagreeing that 240 is lethal because of the CS/AS advantage. To further illustrate my point:

Here I'll refer to to my constant comments that 240 wouldn't work for bolts because due to bolt kill probability, both the AS advantage is necessary as well as simultaneous multi-cast. I tend to refrain from typing out the entire extended explanation every time as this forum has been very much like Groundhog Day, but if something isn't clear to you or Dev specifically, by all means please let me know so I can clarify fully.

240 works for WARDING spells because of the CS advantage, in addition to the fact that it has a built-in double cast. What I mean by "240 works because of the CS advantage" is that 240 with a double cast but no CS boost would not be nearly as effective. I didn't realize I needed to deconstruct the entire spell, but I do want to clarify these points.

What I mean by 240 working because of the CS advantage is due to the way excessive warding margin works. If something is warded by just a few points over 101, it's already enough to do significant damage. Beyond a certain level of excessive warding margin, to which 240 most definitely contributes, it is enough such that the damage dealt results in critical ranks unavoidable for instant death. This is what I mean when I say that 240 allows 317 and 1115 to reach effectively guaranteed instant kill probability without regard for lores, because excessive warding margin alone, along with the warding system mechanics to bypass EBP and go straight to 1% fumble rate of failure, is sufficient to result in death.

>A higher CS does cause more damage and higher crit levels, but a better result is achieved from multiple casts, which will do more overall damage and have a better chance for one of the crits hitting a vital area.

A better result is achieved from higher CS AND multiple casts, which 240 as a whole delivers. This is why every one of my requests has involved both an AS boost (which needs to be significant, because even excessive bolt AS does not achieve what excessive warding margin does) and simultaneous multi-casts. This is because the bolting system is much more lottery based than the warding system, with capped damage, needing favorable crit location/randomization for a single bolt/"cycle", and EBP.

>Some creatures are designed to be resistant to certain forms of attack, which might explain inexplicably high ETD or bolt AS. But in most grounds, it shouldn't be an issue for all the possible creatures there. I'm also willing to look into any reports of specific creatures if you think their values are too high. Bolting should definitely be possible.

And yet no creature is designed to be resistant to excessive warding margin, at least not to the levels to which the spiritual pures can boost their CS. Bolting may be possible, but it will never result in the same level of probability of kills as warding spells for this reason.

>515 doesn't deliver the result that 240 does.
>Show me how it doesn't. I'm more than willing to be convinced.

At this point, I'm honestly not sure how to do that in a manner you would be willing to accept. I don't post repeatedly about this issue for the sake of talking about it. It's just as unenjoyable for me as for you. I've posted numerous data tables in the past, to which I got a response soon after that wizards were wasting our time so no need to engage in that further (with 519). Fine. Then we get a response from GM Viduus recently saying that the sample size was insufficient, so the data is going to be ignored anyway. This data has all been gathered and posted before, so if player numbers aren't relevant, that's why I implored you to run your own using the realistic training builds that each profession actually uses.

How many numbers do I need to run for you and in what format would you like for me to prove that the cast/kill parity is not the same for 515 as for 240 for you to acknowledge looking into it instead of it being yet another waste of my time? I'm happy to do this on the test server if you want to follow my characters around.

>Different professions kill in different ways. I'm not going to make game impacting changes simply because you want to hit 1 keystroke instead of 3. Many other professions kill much slower and with more keystrokes. You can exclaim "tedium!" as many times as you want, and it's ideally something we try to avoid, but not at the cost of imbalance or profession homogenization. And as you note, options exist to minimize it, whether you choose to use them or not.

Pure professions should all have the same options to minimize it, without profession homogenization, and every spiritual pure does while wizards don't. I'm not interested in comparing wizards to semis or squares who might kill much slower and with more keystrokes. Players of post-cap wizards mostly enjoyed playing post-cap wizards pre-nerfs because of the post-cap, single target instant kill level of lethality and quality of life and did not choose to play a square post-cap for that reason. I disagree that fundamentally changing the quality of life and power ceiling for one pure class over all the others is fair on a parity of power basis for one profession within a class.

>Even without hitting a vital location, bolts can easily deal 100-150 damage per cast, which would kill most targets after 3 casts (450 damage). It's not guaranteed (nothing ever is), but it's reliable against most creatures.

And yet because of this capped damage and one crit location, bolts easily need more than 1 cast to kill. It's in fact, almost guaranteed to never work with a single cast. It's also not reliable when one cannot overcome a creature's bolt DS, which is again not a problem faced by the spiritual pures and CS spells. I always prefer to power up (use a booster) instead of using a pushdown, which is subject to far more limitations and danger without spending even more time/wasted mana on trying to unreliably immobilize a creature from a wizard's disabling arsenal (see my document paragraph on boosters vs. pushdowns).

>In addition, we've given wizards a number of tools to better defend themselves for such scenarios. No other profession gets free heavy crit padding, negates a base 20% of all roundtime, a 25% chance to snap back through time to better defend against a physical attack, and lastly a chance to stop time to better manage a bad situation when it is encountered a few times per day.

While the tools we've been given are great, this argument totally dismisses the fact that each profession has different such tools to begin with. Empaths can 3x PF so they have much more natural resistance, and they have Troll's Blood, which helps them "snap back" from attacks and prevent death in the first place. They also have Regenerate, which provides crit padding for a short duration and allows them to instantly get out of a bad situation a few times per day. This is nothing new.

Clerics have 319, that prevents them from being successfully attacked in the first place in many instances, which negates the need for padding. Things are only useful if the resolution gets to such point that a successful hit is made. They have Miracle, to bring themselves back to life, should they suffer an unfortunate fate a few times per day.

>This is very true, but we also gave wizards the single best room clearing ability in the game. Sometimes the best defense is a strong offense. No, you wouldn't use it on a room with just 2 or so creatures, but it's also not really needed there, as the risk is much less.

You stole my line!! =P What I as a wizard wanted though was not a room clearing ability, but a single target clearing ability, for the very reason that most people hunt in single target situations on a daily basis. Rarely does someone encounter a swarm of 3+ creatures where they would run in and need mass demolition in order to ensure survival. This is more likely in a group setting, but in a group setting is where I actively attempt to power down so that everyone else gets credit for the kill. Other professions hate when a wizard walks into an invasion or crowd and everything is instantly dead.

Sorcerers also have mass 717.

>However, for my previous statement about a disparity, I intended that more as a significant gap.

In my personal experience, there is a very significant gap, or I'm quite sure I would have been playing the game the past two years instead of posting about the issue.

>but I'm not convinced that wizards are lacking in the kill speed efficiency area.

No one has ever said that wizards are lacking in the kill speed efficiency area. Where wizards are lacking is in the single cast/kill for the same total kill time area of disparity. If a spell/combo doesn't result in a high enough probability to almost guarantee a kill, it feels, from a player standpoint, like slinging spaghetti against the wall. I don't want to be slinging spaghetti against the wall as a post-cap wizard, nor is it what I envision Gandalf doing. I would expect to be able to achieve a level of offensively boosted lethality such that I can smite a creature down in a single cast/macro hit, like every other pure. From a player standpoint, this is what feels cool and fun, and it is the holy grail of a post-cap pure's magical prowess. If I wanted to sling 3-6 bolts at a creature from now til infinity, I could have stopped at fresh cap and achieved the same thing. What's lacking is the post-cap power ceiling potential.

>I've personally watched a number of the wizards who post on these forums and you guys can certainly tear through creatures. That's not to say other casters don't too, but I don't see this huge gap.

Other casters do at a much less tedious and guaranteed rate, which I'm sure is something that can't be easily discerned from just looking at high level numbers. It's why I suggest you run those 240/317 and 240/1115 numbers and see what the results are vs. what you expect wizards to achieve with 515+bolts. Note that in those 240 casts, I count a double cast as a single actual manual cast/macro hit.

Methais script hunts occasionally, and I don't, but I also have almost never gone hunting for the last few months outside of bandits anyway because of the tedium. I much prefer to play my other characters instead.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 06:28 PM CDT
>Of course, players use what's efficient and effective. 515 still serves the same role as it did, we just limit it to speeding up casting to 3x the normal level. Still efficient and effective, just as to the same imbalanced levels as before. I agree that EBP can be an issue for bolting, which is why we mainly addressed that through Tremors (909), which requires no extra time on part of the wizard to use during combat (since the activation does not incur RT or castRT). It doesn't completely eliminate the chance, but removing 5% evade, 5% block, and %5 parry isn't negligible either.

I don't know...I swear creatures don't give a rip sometimes after using Tremors. They could be prone and take a bolt or perhaps I hit them with a cast of 502 and it actually stuns them, so they're prone/stunned and under 909 (134 EL:E ranks)...then I bolt - evade/blocked. I bolt again evade/blocked. I bolt again - hit. I bolt again - hit. I bolt again - evade/block (seriously?). I bolt again - dead.

What kind of rotten luck do I have that a creature that's prone (-50% EBP) plus hit with another -11% EBP from my tremors and they're doing multiple EBP?

I know you've answered before that tremors does stack with stunned/prone EBP penalty, but you didn't specify exactly how they stack. Does it stack in the manner that it's -50% + -X% from tremors. So in my wizard's case the EBP is reduced by 61% overall.

OR

Does it stack in the manner that EBP is reduced by 50%. Then out of the remaining 50% chance, that 50% is reduced by 11%? So overall the EBP is only reduced by 55.5% (I did the math correctly, right?)

-Drumpel
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 06:32 PM CDT
>In the hunting scenario, the empath (to randomly chose an example) can move into a room / area and encounter one creature. One cast, one loot and one second later (perhaps faster on a good connection and a good day) that empath can likely move on. The wizard in that same situation might be able to equal the feat, albeit rare - and so the wizard is likely to take two casts, or possibly even three, meaning that one encounter for the wizard from moment of meeting to moment of being ready to move again could be two times, or even three times as long. Some hunting areas make standing around in the same room (environment) rather risky. Movement is often considered a defensive strategy, with those rooms well marked where the environmental effects can be less.

>In the hunting scenario where the empath enters a room / area and encounters two creatures, that empath can get a cast off, loot and can likely move on in about a second - fading into the environment and pausing three or four seconds to see if the second creature will follow. If not, the empath can opt to do another strafing run. This holds true for almost any number of creatures - but higher numbers of creatures changes the dynamic a bit. The wizard in that same situation will likely either at the outset fade into the environment, or take a greater risk and try equaling the feat. Success is much less likely than for the empath in the scenario proposed. But here's a nuance.

Something that I think would go a long way toward addressing this, even if it only worked with bolts, would be an EVOKE version of 515 that does a triple cast of whatever spell you're casting. Like a mini 950, except without being able to use multiple spells at once. One version of 515 can't be active while the other version is active.

Incant 515 EVOKE -> incant 906, and 3 Minor Fires shot off at once for 18 mana with a 3 second cast RT. What would be wrong with that?

>I can't stress this enough, but a few people posting on the forums does not constitute a majority.

I can't stress this enough either, but a few people posting on the forums doesn't mean that anyone who's not posting isn't in agreement with those who are posting. Basically neither your statement nor mine means anything relevant, because there's no way to prove anything beyond it.

>But I can also tell you there are a number of wizards who have no interest in hunting to have to enchant.

Those are typically called bots, with maybe a few rare exceptions.

>I agree that EBP can be an issue for bolting, which is why we mainly addressed that through Tremors (909), which requires no extra time on part of the wizard to use during combat (since the activation does not incur RT or castRT). It doesn't completely eliminate the chance, but removing 5% evade, 5% block, and %5 parry isn't negligible either.

And then when you're fighting something immune to Tremors (which plenty of stuff at cap is) and you can't do anything about their EBP, warders still continue to not care one bit about EBP vs. anything. EBP simply should not apply to bolts. Block maybe because blocking a bolt with a shield would probably make sense in most situations, but not evade or parry unless they're sporting a lightsaber.

Sort of unrelated: How fast/slow do our bolts actually travel anyway? Are they all slow moving like bullets were on old NES games like Contra, giving the target plenty of time to think about it for a minute before moving out of the way?

>Even without hitting a vital location, bolts can easily deal 100-150 damage per cast, which would kill most targets after 3 casts (450 damage). It's not guaranteed (nothing ever is), but it's reliable against most creatures.

Which can often turn into 4, 5, 6, 7+ with EBP. And no it's not all that rare either. It's just something you have to play a wizard to appreciate the annoyance of.

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 06:48 PM CDT
>Incant 515 EVOKE -> incant 906, and 3 Minor Fires shot off at once for 18 mana with a 3 second cast RT. What would be wrong with that?

It wouldn't solve the problem due to bolt kill probability and with no AS boost, it wouldn't allow one to uphunt the way 240 does. I am fine with any potential solution not working with 515 though, as I've already said.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 06:51 PM CDT
>> it wouldn't allow one to uphunt the way 240 does.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask - because I feel I missed that turn.

If we're talking well post cap, what up-hunting is there?

Doug
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 06:53 PM CDT
>If you want to argue their gaining more in the post-cap area since due to this setup and there being almost no opportunity cost, that's fine - make that point.

This is literally the point that wizard players have been trying to make for 2 years when talking about our lore split.

>But that's not the same as saying they only have a 2-way split.

I have always been talking about the split of a potential 202 ranks within a 2-way split or 4-way split. Having the possibility to train in more than one sphere of lore is completely irrelevant to the power ceiling discussion, which my complaints against lores have always been about. I'm glad we finally have this clarified.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 06:55 PM CDT
>If we're talking well post cap, what up-hunting is there?

While our characters may have well post-cap levels of experience, in reality, they are numerically level 100. As such, uphunting is any creature level 101 or above, any grizzled/ancient creature from a bounty, a boss creature in any other circumstance or invasion... etc. etc. It's the same reason our level-based disablers largely don't work on creatures in the Scatter, for example.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 07:12 PM CDT
Ahh, ok. Appreciate the clarification. I didn't look at it that way. Might not still, but will consider.

Doug
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 07:17 PM CDT
Look Estild all those points are all well and good but you really haven't touched on the main topic of the thread. Why can't you allow water lore to unlock minor steam with minor fire?!

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 07:38 PM CDT
>Which can often turn into 4, 5, 6, 7+ with EBP. And no it's not all that rare either. It's just something you have to play a wizard to appreciate the annoyance of.

A single bolt is rarely going to be likely to instantly kill a creature due to bolt kill probability.

So due to the above, not only does 515 not deliver the result that 240 does, it doesn't deliver the same feeling or satisfaction that 240 does from a lethality standpoint. Slinging spaghetti at the wall, from a player standpoint, feels like just rolling the dice to see if a creature is going to die this time... or next time... or the time after. Which is basically what it is. It doesn't feel "powerful", from a wizardry standpoint of summoning offensive strength, even if pure kill speed only may be comparable. That's why kill speed is only one factor. Every time I use 515 and mash macros for bolt attacks, I don't think, "wow! This is so much fun!" I think, "is this thing EVER going to die already?!" If a creature shakes off a stun or can't be stunned, those additional seconds of death that isn't achieved on second 0 are even more risky. I feel like Gandalf the Grey, helpless in the face of danger and realizing I might be killed before I can actually finish killing.

240 gives me, the player, the option to power up, and achieve a guaranteed high probability of a reliable kill with a single whoosh, while delivering 3 seconds of breathing room while the creature is instantly dead on second 0 and I don't have to be mashing keys for the next 3+ seconds to achieve the same result. When I use 240, I think of Popeye eating spinach and powering up and think "wow! Something great is going to happen now!" Spiritual pures, they are Gandalf the White.

I don't ever use 515 and expect that it will help me kill something that might be difficult, such as a turtled creature or one with high bolt DS, thick skin, or high HP. If a creature can't be touched at all via bolts, then I'm just out of luck with 515+bolts.

I do use 240 however, when I face creatures that need to be killed quickly. I expect that it will have a very high probability of resulting in death on second 0 such that I will be safe and hopefully have a few seconds to actually think about my strategy for what might come next. I actually feel that 515 promotes more frantic and mindless mashing of keys because of this and the fact that on creatures that don't stun, such as non-corporeal undead, it is dangerous and ineffective. We have 512 now, but it takes 24 mana and 2 of those 3 seconds to even disable a creature, without accounting for that increased mana cost.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 10:30 PM CDT
>There's been no justification to make the case that wizards should be able to enchant faster than they already do, and even if we did, I hope you realize the end result is that wizards end up getting paid less for the service since it's more readily available.

If enchanting was done only by wizards, and any item could be enchanted (however difficult), then there would be more to enchant and an improved player-to-player market for enchanting. Or, take enchant away from wizards completely and give them something that isn't so saturated in merchant/premium services. The mechanics and underlying concept for 735 are some of the best I've seen in the game, as they provide a significant secondary reward for active playing time. They should be deployed more broadly than to just one profession, though. Every profession, actually, should have something like this.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 11:08 PM CDT
I agree that every profession should have a value add for actively playing, but I would rather remove these sorts of things from class selection to actually having each player select the value add they want to have. For example, give everyone access to one of the following ensorcelling, enchanting, forging, leatherworking, alchemy, etc.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/08/2017 11:10 PM CDT
>>Every time I use 515 and mash macros for bolt attacks, I don't think, "wow! This is so much fun!" I think, "is this thing EVER going to die already?!"

So you don't think launching successive bolts of elemental fury at a target is 'wizard' enough? I think maybe you would be happier with another game in which all professions have the same mechanics with different names.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 07:21 AM CDT
So you don't think launching successive bolts of elemental fury at a target is 'wizard' enough? I think maybe you would be happier with another game in which all professions have the same mechanics with different names.

I'm just going to copy this and leave it here. I think this sums it up perfectly.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 08:22 AM CDT
>I think maybe you would be happier with another game in which all professions have the same mechanics with different names.

I would be happier with the wizard game we had before that allowed us to launch a big blast of wizardly fury at a creature (pre-nerf 519) or a simultaneous slew of bolts at a creature at effectively second 0 (rapid fire with 0 CT) like what spiritual pures can still achieve. I realize we will have to pay a higher mana cost for these abilities, but I would expect wizards to still have the ability to boost up to this level of offensive power that the spiritual pures still enjoy in terms of post-cap, single target instant kill probability.

I would also be happy with a sorcerer not coming into the wizard folder to tell us what is wizardly. Telling a paying customer to go to another game as a solution is I'm sure something Simutronics supports though given their desperate efforts to get customers to return.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 09:36 AM CDT
Drumpel, I've gone through many hunting areas--with various characters, and various hunting styles--where I had only a 40% chance to hit the creatures. Sure, it means I'm going to miss a lot of the time, but because of <some factor, possibly how easily they crit or how unlikely they were to hit me or their treasure or whatever> it was worth it to me.
(And I don't mean, casual hunt, once on Sunday or whatever. I mean, "hunting the area", like for a level or several.)

Or how about 4% chance of armor spell hindrance, and you see 1armor, 2armor, 3armor, 1=FUMBLE, 1armor... That's like hitting high-400's on an open roll. (How often have you seen THOSE?)
Compared to that, a 40% chance of EBP, with repeated success, hell, that's NOTHING. :)
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 09:59 AM CDT
>If you want to argue their gaining more in the post-cap area since due to this setup and there being almost no opportunity cost, that's fine - make that point.

This is exactly what we've been doing for the past 2 years. Did you miss all those posts or something?

>But that's not the same as saying they only have a 2-way split.

This seems like a pretty pointless angle to debate in the first place, but since we're going that route...sorcerers have 606 total lore ranks to split between a total of 808 trainable ranks between sorcerer, spirit, and elemental lores, which gives them 75% overall coverage. Wizards have 202 out of 404, which only gives us 50% overall coverage. But again, this is a pointless topic to even debate.

>Look Estild all those points are all well and good but you really haven't touched on the main topic of the thread. Why can't you allow water lore to unlock minor steam with minor fire?!

I'm getting my pitchfork right now. Estild has stated that easy quality of life things (quick wins) are the ideas he wants from us, not fixes to bigger problems.

>So you don't think launching successive bolts of elemental fury at a target is 'wizard' enough? I think maybe you would be happier with another game in which all professions have the same mechanics with different names.

We were fine with the mechanics we had before that got nerfed into the ground. Thanks for your insightful sorcerer feedback though. You weren't around for GP2 from the sound of it.

Fleurs continues to raise valid points, which I'm sure will get ignored because apparently death by 1000 (+348297402 with EBP) mosquito bites until they eventually run out of HP (because good luck with killing via crits with any sort of reliability at all) is what makes wizards fun now and anyone who isn't having a blast with it are playing the game wrong and should just pack up and leave.

And probably sell the character to someone who needs a pocket enchanter too to be fixskilled to 202 water lore.

Great talk guys.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8b/a6/35/8ba6350c6d5a87d5f67173e42008ba15.jpg

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 10:37 AM CDT
I'm sorry you've never experienced design changes in an online game before, but they happen quite frequently. I've played Gemstone for nearly 20 years at this point, and I have played a post-cap character of every profession so I certainly feel like I can participate in the discussion here. It's pretty simple in my eyes. All professions are not made equal. You should not expect to accomplish the same things as every other profession. As Estild pointed out, Wizards are given a lot of resources that other professions do not have and thus should not expect the resources of those other professions. If you aren't having fun with your Wizard, pick another class. Though, from the sound of it, you would likely find something 'wrong' there because it isn't whatever you imagine it should be.

>>nerfed into the ground

Hardly.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 10:47 AM CDT
No other profession has experienced such drastic and fundamental gameplay changes as the wizard professions that resulted in a massive post-cap power ceiling nerf since the change to GemStone IV when the clock was reset.

All professions within a certain class (pures, semis, squares) should enjoy parity in offensive power, while having different abilities.

Playing another class is not an option for those who don't want to buy another capped character like a trading card. "Playing a post-cap character of every profession" is nowhere near the same as leveling a character from 0 to post-cap. By missing the journey, one misses the tradeoffs and only sees one facet of the picture, which is not an accurate way to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the class.

GemStone isn't another game by some snowstorm company where you can cap in a few months without being an AFK scripting bot or buying someone else's character for cash. Which Simutronics officially does not support, so I don't see that suggestion as a valid alternative. People are complaining because they spent nearly 20 years on a single post-cap character to get to a certain point.

>Though, from the sound of it, you would likely find something 'wrong' there because it isn't whatever you imagine it should be.

Actually, I play every class because I enjoy how it is at the time I rolled up a character. I don't play a class because I aspire to one day advocate to turn it into XYZ mutant warmage class. I also don't comment on any other class than the ones for my mains because I don't care. If I'm not heavily invested in a class or my characters are pre-cap, those are the characters that will adapt and either quit playing if it becomes something unenjoyable for me, or I'll just fixskills. Post-cap for a wizard pure main, there is no fix available now.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 10:59 AM CDT

Okay, so I kind of want to get down to the heart of the argument. Seems like it gets blown of proportion with a lot of fluffed up words, spin arounds, and flat out false comparisons (not pointing fingers at any specifics.)

So, the only valid and factual point I have seen thus far, is that other casters can kill something with fewer key strokes than wizards can? Time isn't the issue, apparently, because of 515 + 3xwhatever = the same as one cast of any other... 3 seconds of soft RT. Mana isn't the issue, because of 516. So, am I correct in that key strokes/macro buttons/whatever is the issue?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:02 AM CDT
>>All professions within a certain class (pures, semis, squares) should enjoy parity in offensive power, while having different abilities.

This statement does not reflect my personal opinion, and thus should be marked as false. All professions should provide meaningful differences and should feel at parity only when comparing ALL aspects of the class to another.

>> GemStone isn't another game by some snowstorm company where you can cap in a few months without being an AFK scripting bot or buying someone else's character for cash. Which Simutronics officially does not support, so I don't see that suggestion as a valid alternative.

If you were to be AFK scripting to reach cap, you would be missing the journey. You would miss the tradeoffs and only see one facet of the picture, which is not an accurate way to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the class.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:05 AM CDT
>>So, am I correct in that key strokes/macro buttons/whatever is the issue?

There is also the issue that things have changed and nobody likes change.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:15 AM CDT
>This statement does not reflect my personal opinion, and thus should be marked as false.

That's your opinion, which I mark as false. Next.

>All professions should provide meaningful differences and should feel at parity only when comparing ALL aspects of the class to another.

One pure profession should not be so lopsidedly different and sub-par vs. the other pure professions at a post-cap level, which wizards now are vs. sorcerers offensively and utility wise.

>If you were to be AFK scripting to reach cap, you would be missing the journey.

I don't AFK script or buy characters, or I would have "post-cap characters of every profession" like you do.

>So, am I correct in that key strokes/macro buttons/whatever is the issue?

Quality of life and the post-cap power ceiling of achievable probability of a guaranteed kill are the issues.

>There is also the issue that things have changed and nobody likes change.

People don't like change that breaks things without fixing the holes left behind and told to move on after spending nearly 20 years on a single character. It's disrespectful of all the customer time and money spent.

>Show me how it doesn't. I'm more than willing to be convinced.

515 doesn't deliver anywhere near the same probability of a guaranteed kill as 240 does, and it's completely out of the question when it comes to uphunting.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:22 AM CDT
>>One pure profession should not be so lopsidedly different and sub-par vs. the other pure professions at a post-cap level, which wizards now are vs. sorcerers offensively and utility wise.

That's like, your opinion, man.

>>515 doesn't deliver anywhere near the same probability of a guaranteed kill as 240 does

Nor should it. It's a different spell.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:35 AM CDT
Estild says it does, which is why I am having this discussion with him. Irrelevant suggestions to buy another capped character or play another game aside, it was quite productive.

I'm interested in what kind of proof Estild is willing to accept to continue the discussion about 515 vs. 240.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:54 AM CDT
Let's get back on topic here, please.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 12:00 PM CDT
Yes, please. I think the design team has done a great job keeping this game moving forward and fluid. For me, Gemstone isn't about killing power parity ... it's honestly about the lack there of.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 12:25 PM CDT
For me, playing a class of professions is about killing power parity and always has been. Pures should all have the same offensive power ceiling, as they enjoyed pre-nerfs for wizards. Just as semis and squares enjoy equal levels of lethality for the professions within each of those classes. This is an opinion that Veythorne also expressed earlier in this thread.

So, I'm interested in what data Estild will accept to move the discussion forward, as he posted that he believes that 515 and 240 deliver equivalent results, which they don't when considering cast/kill parity for the probability of a guaranteed kill, quality of life for daily single-target hunting, and the ability to uphunt.