Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/03/2017 08:11 PM CDT
>are far more diverse than 'rp color flavoring' (my words).

I agree, but when you're limited at the outset by elemental "flavor", it's difficult to get a lot more flavorful/colorful than that. The SLR was the one lore review correctly done in my view. There are good tradeoffs to each type, but you can get most of the best of all with a 3 way split and reasonable lore thresholds. There's none of this 100+ rank requirement with a 4-way split to even remotely unlock any ability.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/03/2017 08:46 PM CDT
>All three spiritual lores offer offensive, defensive, and utility benefits in different degrees, but none is boxed into one sole function. Same with sorcerous lores to a lesser degree.

I'm not so sure about this. Each profession has one particular lore that has the most influence on their core offensive (direct damage) spells. For empaths it is manipulation. For clerics it is religion. Sorcerers aren't as clear-cut because one of their staple spells has no lore benefit, but necromancy has more influence on offensive spells than demonology does. For the most part, one of the lores does provide the offensive benefit. Rangers, bards, and paladins work much the same way, with one lore contributing to the direct damage spells and another providing more offensive buffs or defensive benefits. Elemental lores for wizards don't work like this at all.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/03/2017 09:06 PM CDT
When talking about other lores and offensive power, I don't refer only to direct damage, but to all relevant limited duration boosters or other AS/CS booster spells with their self-refreshing benefits (240, 340, 1117, 117, 307, 211, 215). Looking across the board at a cleric, empath, or sorcerer, a lot more than a single direct damage lore contributes to their post-cap lethality. Sorcerers have this to a lesser extent, but they still benefit from demonology offensively with the contribution to balefire and access to demons that assist directly in combat situations, unlike our completely mechanically useless familiars.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:15 PM CDT
<<unlike our completely mechanically useless familiars.

I have used familiars for:

Finding people
Teleportation
Puzzle Solving
Scouting
Enchant bonus

and there are probably other uses I haven't thought of / don't know about. I don't think it helps to always exaggerate everything to be completely useless or terrible. :/
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:17 PM CDT
There is no enchant bonus for using a familiar. There is a penalty for not having the familiar with you when you enchant if you have one summoned.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:22 PM CDT
<<Sorry, but if something is bad, it's bad. If the person behind it takes that personally, then well...that's on them.

If your goal is really to improve wizards and you recognize devs as the humans they are, is this the best way to achieve that result? There's this tendency among smart people to treat emotions as "bad" and assert that the best people operate like some kind of Vulcans. (I know because sometimes I catch myself doing it.) The problem is it's not real life. People have emotions (and that's good!) and pouring your heart and soul into something (as I can confidently say game devs generally do) to be told "this sucks and if that makes you feel bad, it's your fault" is not only unlikely to achieve your results, it's also a bit uncaring, to be honest.

It's not taking a posture of "can we work together to solve this?", which is where you want to be if you actually want results. Making the people you need to work with feel like shit never works- as one of the GMs recently tried to say by indicating (s)he had basically dropped all personal Wizard projects for that reason.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:24 PM CDT
<<There is no enchant bonus for using a familiar. There is a penalty for not having the familiar with you when you enchant if you have one summoned.

Hmm... if that's true, the wiki is wrong. But either way, 920 is a cool spell that I've certainly found useful.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:28 PM CDT
With that said- I'd love a way for 930 (and familiars in general) to work cross-realm. Maybe that could be one of those "high end" lore benefits people were discussing?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:31 PM CDT
The wiki is wrong about many things.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:45 PM CDT

>> With that said- I'd love a way for 930 (and familiars in general) to work cross-realm. Maybe that could be one of those "high end" lore benefits people were discussing?

My understanding is that this should already at least be up for review as part of transportation review. Being able to Portal (And Planar Shift) within your same "super-realm" (Which isn't the same as anywhere) would be a logical enhancement.

IF that happens, then it might be an idea for Lore to instead provide multiple anchors for your familiar. For instance, you could have one anchor per element (although that's just a mnemonic).
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:49 PM CDT
Sorcerers don't need lore to anchor/save locations or a player target, which makes Planar Shift a far superior spell to Familiar Gate.

Even bards can anchor 1020 without needing 50 lore ranks like wizards do.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:56 PM CDT
Making design decisions based on "another class can do this better, so why can't we?" will almost certainly lead to a broken game. There's no end to that spiral. Also, spending resources trying to achieve that type of "balance" is much less important in a game that's not PvP-centric. The relevant question is "is this a class people generally have fun playing?", not "is it exactly comparable in power-level / utility to every other class?".
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:56 PM CDT

>>Sorcerers don't need lore to anchor/save locations or a player target, which makes Planar Shift a far superior spell to Familiar Gate.

>>Even bards can anchor 1020 without needing 50 lore ranks like wizards do.

Well, when you put it like that, yeah. But let's compare the whole scope of it, not just the choice bits.

740 has, at best training, a 1% chance to not cause pretty substantial damage to the caster (which 930 does as well,) but also the chance of summoning a demon which presents all sorts of other dangers. Sure, 1%, but still.

Bards pretty much only get to go to a set number of locations. Where as a wizard's familiar, baring anti-teleportation rooms, can go just about anywhere.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 12:58 PM CDT
I'd assume any rework of 930 will not just make it a clone of some other class's spell. Some people will like 1 version over the other (and weigh that in how "fun" they see the different classes in aggregate), but that's actually a feature, not a bug.

I'd start to get worried if a class was so far behind others, that you look foolish for playing it. But I don't think that's the case here?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 01:01 PM CDT
It's great that you're enjoying things. No need to make changes for you. However, many post-cap wizards have said they don't enjoy the profession any longer. So... we're looking for changes or a profession change option.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 01:06 PM CDT
Not saying changes / dev shouldn't happen. Saying "other class can do X, why can't we?" doesn't seem like a sustainable way to go about it. You've said sorcerors are so powerful at cap that hunting is a breeze for them, right? Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but if that's true, then it means sorcs might be broken. Breaking other classes in response won't work.

Personally, I don't want hunting to be an always-in-guarded breeze. I want it to feel a bit dangerous.

Another angle-
What are the things some post-cap wizards are saying is making them not want to play a wizard anymore?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 01:08 PM CDT
We've had this discussion literally 100 times, and just the last few days in the Dev folder. I'm not going to repeat it.

I'm looking for the same tools every other post-cap profession in the game, except monks, enjoys. People don't have to hunt a certain way if they don't choose to, but I disagree with forcing mediocre hunting on everyone just to create a challenge.

If my wizard was going to enjoy the same abilities as I had 5 years ago pre-cap, I would have stopped playing long ago.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 01:33 PM CDT
Since 930 isn't a post cap wizard power ceiling cake issue, but is something that would generally benefit all wizards - I'd like to hear more. Perhaps under its own thread, rather than this one that's all wet. ;)

I agree that 930 super-realm and maybe even limited cross-realm would be a hoot!

And frankly, I don't care how the sorcerers do it (bards, on the other hand. . . )

Doug
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 01:56 PM CDT
I don't agree with your fundamental assertion that you should have "the same tools every other post-cap profession" in a class-based game. If everything is the same, there's no interesting choices. Also, I find it almost impossible to believe that every post-cap class other than monks and wizards have "the same tools."
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 02:01 PM CDT
Every post-cap profession except wizards and monks have tools to achieve a post-cap, single target instant kill. They are not literally "the same tools". Tools exist for everyone else though.

That's the end of my indulgence of semantics though.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 02:10 PM CDT
This isn't me playing semantics games, this is ineffective communication. How am I supposed to know that "same tools" means "single target instant kill"?

Also, I disagree with the assumption that every class should have an instant-kill spell. In fact, I'd call that hypothetical state broken. And if it's really true that every non-monk, non-wizard class just walks around post-cap typing "kill <thing>", then I'd say the game is broken post-cap, not wizards.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 02:13 PM CDT
Well, I'm sure everyone else post-cap will appreciate you advocating for nerfs and telling them that what they find fun is not acceptable. That's a recipe for a mass exodus for sure.

I believe in positive development that adds fun, not taking things away for the sake of creating arbitrary challenges, which are perfectly achievable if people don't choose to use certain tools. People pay for this game, which we don't play for free, beyond fresh cap because of the additional goals we have. If there are none, and the power ceiling occurs strictly at cap, there is no reason to play and there is no more game.

I have no interest in the race to the bottom.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 02:26 PM CDT
>I have no interest in the race to the bottom.

Hmmmm....an interesting idea. You create a new character and get to spec it out however you want for a level 100 character, but every action you do earns you a little bit of experience. Once you have earned enough experience to level you actually lose a level and you need to decide what skills/spells to unlearn.

The first person to go from level 100 to 1 wins Gemstone forever!

-Drumpel
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 02:58 PM CDT
LADYFLEUR
There is no enchant bonus for using a familiar. There is a penalty for not having the familiar with you when you enchant if you have one summoned.

CURTIS
Hmm... if that's true, the wiki is wrong. But either way, 920 is a cool spell that I've certainly found useful.

The wiki is exactly correct in regard to the bonus and penalty for familiars.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 03:13 PM CDT
>The wiki is exactly correct in regard to the bonus and penalty for familiars.

Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty sure at some point in the past, another NIR had posted the opposite, but it's good to know how things currently function with the updated spell.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 03:16 PM CDT
I don't have a problem with post-cap goals. I'm not convinced it needs to be a instant kill spell for every class. For example, wizards can become much better enchanters, right?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 03:19 PM CDT
I'd just like to say that I disagree with everything Curtis has posted so far. Fleurs is correct as to what the problems are, as usual.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 03:20 PM CDT
>For example, wizards can become much better enchanters, right?

No, becoming a utility bot is not why I personally played a wizard post-cap. If someone chooses to do that, that's great, but there should be the option to achieve a single target instant kill as well. There shouldn't be only one acceptable way to play that is offensively more tedious on a single target level than any other pure profession.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 03:39 PM CDT
<<I'd just like to say that I disagree with everything Curtis has posted so far. Fleurs is correct as to what the problems are, as usual.

I started typing up a longer reply to this, but then I stopped myself, asked what I was doing with my time and decided to just stop reading this stuff instead.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 03:41 PM CDT
>I started typing up a longer reply to this, but then I stopped myself, asked what I was doing with my time and decided to just stop reading this stuff instead.

I knew Curtis was smart, now it's confirmed.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 03:50 PM CDT

Well, it is difficult to have a decent conversation when the same person wearing different faces come in to confirm their other persona's opinion, and rebuke all others that are in disagreement. I think you're probably wise in letting it rest, since the conversation was going no where.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 04:00 PM CDT
I'm not Fleurs, I just happen to agree with her about what the real issues are. If you'd like me to elaborate further:

Each group of classes should have relative equality. Squares as a group, generally have about the same killing abilities. A Rogue is going to hide and ambush, or they can use a bow and poke out eyes. A Warrior is going to mstrike, or hurl. They are relatively equal in killing speed and strength. They each have their own way of doing it, but in my opinion, one class doesn't stick out more than the other.

The same can't be said for the pure group. There is an obvious advantage in the CS system. That advantage is further compounded by the spell 240. Wizards had their CS abilities heavily reduced, on the claims that they should primarily be bolting. If that is the case, something needs to happen to equalize the speed and power between the pure classes. That is what Fleurs repeatedly points out, and she is correct.

There have been many suggestions to improve the bolting situation, here's another:

Allow full AS in guarded stance. People have pointed out you're only in offensive stance for a split second, so it shouldn't matter, right?
If you go above guarded stance, the difference is added as a True-Hand affect.
Full offensive = D60 or greater, scaled down based on stance.
Reward those who go into offensive stance and take the risk.

That's not going to fix the one cast, one kill situation, but I think it would bring some equality to the guarded stance vs forced offensive stance without changing all the bolt and ball spells to CS spells.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 04:10 PM CDT
Ideas are meant to be debated, as Sleken said these are discussion forums. As Methais said, if ideas are bad, I'll also say so because I have no desire to be told this is what we asked for like with the ELR. This isn't anything personal, and my comments are only about the topics being discussed.

I disagree with forcing wizards down a development path contrary to the precedent set by every other pure profession (cooldowns on offensive spells) and with a more limited power ceiling at the single target offensive level than any other post-cap profession. I'm not asking for every class to be the same. I'm asking for parity, because one class shouldn't suddenly be told that we're only allowed to aspire to be enchanting bots post-cap and that's it. Much of this game unfortunately involves heavy combat. From pay quests from Troubled Waters to Reim, repetitive and grind-heavy events such as Duskruin, and all the new hunting areas being developed. I don't need to play post-cap so I can just sit in TSC and RP.

Some people and Dev may be offended that some post-cap wizard players don't like the changes we've been presented with, but it's equally disheartening as a paying customer who's spent over a decade on a character to be told that this is it and it's time to move on to another profession. I wouldn't be posting about it if it wasn't a matter important to me, but equally as such, I don't post in any profession folders where I don't have a post-cap character. In my opinion, those pre-cap can easily adapt, while it's those post-cap who have put a lot into the game, whether it's actual time and money with the character, gear, customization, etc.

No one likes to say it, but the character trading that goes on is a huge part of the problem. If every wizard character retired whose original player left and wasn't simply sold to be someone else's pocket bot, you'd have a far better idea of how the changes are viewed. Many people have just bought a capped character of another profession and moved on. I refuse to go down that path out of principle. I refuse to turn to Lich and heavy script hunting to bypass the tedium that is most punitive to those who actually manually play the game and stop to interact with others. I disagree that just because maybe I'm the only one who doesn't do either of these things, it's good design to continue down this path that eliminates the things that made GemStone unique and not like every other generic game on the market.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 04:10 PM CDT
>>Allow full AS in guarded stance. People have pointed out you're only in offensive stance for a split second, so it shouldn't matter, right?
If you go above guarded stance, the difference is added as a True-Hand affect.
Full offensive = D60 or greater, scaled down based on stance.
Reward those who go into offensive stance and take the risk.

That's not going to fix the one cast, one kill situation, but I think it would bring some equality to the guarded stance vs forced offensive stance without changing all the bolt and ball spells to CS spells.

I like this idea and would support it 100%. I'd even go further and add that Lore training in which bolt is being used could reduce EBP against it.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 04:29 PM CDT
I forgot to mention it, but I would also make it so that bolt AS is no longer affected by spirit loss.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 05:06 PM CDT
>>I forgot to mention it, but I would also make it so that bolt AS is no longer affected by spirit loss.

That would effectively make it a CS spell and not a bolt, which people and devs have stated they did not want.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 05:27 PM CDT
>If your goal is really to improve wizards and you recognize devs as the humans they are, is this the best way to achieve that result? There's this tendency among smart people to treat emotions as "bad" and assert that the best people operate like some kind of Vulcans. (I know because sometimes I catch myself doing it.) The problem is it's not real life. People have emotions (and that's good!) and pouring your heart and soul into something (as I can confidently say game devs generally do) to be told "this sucks and if that makes you feel bad, it's your fault" is not only unlikely to achieve your results, it's also a bit uncaring, to be honest.

Well I mean we fought tooth and nail over it since the day the ELR details were announced and just about all of it got ignored. This was well before it went live. We pointed out various problems with what was on the table, explained why it was a problem, usually with numbers/data to back it up, etc., So it's not like things were set in stone when we first started pointing out problems. It's simply a matter of almost all of our feedback got completely ignored and these huge nerfs got rammed down our throats anyway with nothing in place to offset the damage it caused.

The only nerf I can "agree" with (though not really, but I understand the reasoning) is the 0 RT Rapid Fire nerf.

Now try reversing the situation. Spend 20 years building up a character and then have its most powerful tools (which are not only tools but also band-aids for an otherwise broken system in 515's case) nerfed into the ground in favor of a bunch of underwhelming RNG slot machine proc mechanics, a bunch of flawed (imo) reasoning attached to it, and then over a year later still waiting for the fixes (to bolts, since they insist we use them) to come in RSN and tell me how you'd react.

Yes, 917 and 520 are spectacular additions, and 520's lore implementation should be the gold standard for how our lores are handled with our other spells. But dev is hell bent on us bolting as our primary attack, and the bolting system has had none of its underlying issues addressed, which become much more prevalent in the post-cap game. That's a problem.

Especially since even pre-nerf 519 with 202 fire lore would still get circles run around it by a fresh cap cleric/empath casting 240/317/1115 even with much lower warding margins. Post nerf, even without 240, 317 still almost always outperforms Immolate (thought admittedly, my testing on that hasn't been all that extensive), and with much lower lore thresholds to max its benefits than what Immolate requires (150 ranks). Which now that I'm thinking about it, are there any non-wizard spells that require 150 lore to max its benefits? If not, I'm curious what the second highest spell is and how much lore it requires to max.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. But again, this has all been posted in great detail 483790487329023 times since the ELR. I wish we could just add a sticky post to the top of the folder with all of this in it, since it tends to be on a 2 week repeat cycle.

>With that said- I'd love a way for 930 (and familiars in general) to work cross-realm. Maybe that could be one of those "high end" lore benefits people were discussing?

This has been brought up several times since the teleportation changes were announced. To my knowledge, we haven't been told anything one way or another as to whether 930 will be part of it or not.

>I'd start to get worried if a class was so far behind others, that you look foolish for playing it. But I don't think that's the case here?

Pretty sure monks still have a monopoly on that.

>The first person to go from level 100 to 1 wins Gemstone forever!

And if you decay you gain 10k experience.

>For example, wizards can become much better enchanters, right?

If a wizard trains 1x in the wizard circle and 2x MIU while leveling up, they're for the most part going to be the "best" enchanter possible as soon as they turn 100. And if you want to speed it up via water lore, you'll be doing a lot of hunting.

I mean if logging in once every 2 weeks or so to do a cast on a major project is your idea of end game wizard fun, more power to you. The other 99.99999999% of active non-bot wizards will probably disagree though.

>Well, it is difficult to have a decent conversation when the same person wearing different faces come in to confirm their other persona's opinion, and rebuke all others that are in disagreement. I think you're probably wise in letting it rest, since the conversation was going no where.

gg making baseless accusations because someone else agreed with someone you disagreed with. Is this seriously where we are now?

>I don't need to play post-cap so I can just sit in TSC and RP.

That's only cause you haven't RP'd with me in TSC.

It goes something like this:

[Town Square Central]
Fat empaths everywhere and some random noob picking boxes.
Obvious paths: northeast, east, southeast, southwest, west, northwest

Methais just arrived.

(Methais roleplays all over the place.)

>roleplay nominate methais

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 05:36 PM CDT
I believe pretty firmly the problem with wizard post-cap parity is rooted in the warding spell system: not the spells, but how CS improves, how warding thresholds work, instant kill, bypassing EBP, stance, and a few other things that are systemic to all warding spells and are different from bolts.

Many of the ideas posted in this folder deal with a single piece of the puzzle, but unless all bolts are changed to warding spells, or all warding spells made bolts, or all spells can be aimed, then this will continue to be a problem, one way or another. This is why I'd suggest standardizing more -- it needs a bigger leap than just offering a bolt with instant kill, or just changing how stance works, or allowing training to bypass EBP.

Creating an analog spell to open MSTRIKE, such as single-target 950, would probably require the least effort to come closer to parity without redoing something. The reason MSTRIKE works is it uses probability of stuns/knockdowns/flares/bypass EBP/etc. to achieve a certainty-over-X-hits concept: 2 hits with a +80 margin (I'm making this up) will usually stun and might kill, 3 hits probably will stun/knockdown and could kill, 4 hits will almost certainly knockdown and probably kill, etc. Not certain, but reliable.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 05:43 PM CDT
>That would effectively make it a CS spell and not a bolt, which people and devs have stated they did not want.

Bolt damage gets mitigated by redux and armor. CS spells do not.

Bolt damage scales a lot worse than most warding spells on similar end rolls even before factoring in armor/redux.

You don't gain bolt AS by gaining a level. CS spells you do.

Bolts have to deal with EBP. CS spells do not.

Bolt AS is based on different stats and training than CS spells are.

CS is based on level + spell ranks. Bolts are based spell aim.

Bolt DS is generated differently than TD.

You can continue to increase your CS after you reach level 100 (because nobody has 303 ranks when they cap). Bolts, not so much.

Along with 38047830 other things that I'm too lazy to type out.

A car is effectively a boat because they both use gasoline powered engines and have a steering wheel.

Wizards are effectively rangers because they both use mana.

etc.

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/05/2017 05:58 PM CDT
>>Methais' Post

All of this information is true and known. However, I'm lost as to how my reply to bolts not being affected by spirit has anything to do with this. I'm all for making bolts more effective, and lots of suggestions have been made that I like. Bolt AS shares some of the problems other AS resolutions do (redux and armor mitigation, EBP, ect.). If not having spirit level afftect bolt AS is a proposed solution, I merely say that spirit not affecting AS would therefor have to be implemented across the board.

If your post is you casting a vote to make bolt spells CS based, it would have been easier, and more effective, to simply say that.