Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:00 AM CDT
>>Unless there have been changes to the way padding combines across items, this is still the case. e.g. adding a small amount of damage padding to my armor would cost me half the crit padding on my head and legs.
Armor items that have BOTH crit and damage padding on them do not see the padding values halved.
If you are stacking a damage padding accessory over crit padded torso armor at the hit location, these values will be halved.

Zissu - Combat and Magic Systems Dev Lackey
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:02 AM CDT
I got a katana from the treasure system that rolled up temp crit weighting -
Temp less effective then a normal katat resluting in it becoming diminished in its ability to inflict critical wounds. I note that the katan is still somewhat weighted compare to normal weapons

Bard sings it showing as temp as well.

But it looks like that nerfs the item over all?

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:06 AM CDT
Posted this in a couple places but...

Before examining the time and cost, we need to find out more about new approaches. For instance, how much cost to hcp 0x? How hard to enchant.

For instance, you can hcp the 0x weapon, enchant it to 5x, use a premium win or something to add flares, then 5x or 6x it.

Or maybe start using the adv guild and just temp add flares.

The fact that this gear can be enchanted means we have to stop the old thinking that Only 6x+ gear is worth servicing.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:13 AM CDT
Coase - I sorta understand the point you're making but its really not how the player base see's this change. Your point that from now on, all weapon/armor got a buff with this change and that justify the increased cost and difficult to get it really doesn't justify the insane process this design is now. Maybe 10 years from now, there'll be uber weapons and armor that have all sorts of abilities added but that's a ridiculous long and expensive payoff. And it also means its only valued for the absolute best items. The items I have now that are only beginning to become project worth pieces? It just became worthless, it'll be better to save the money and time and just buy something better off the market.

Yeah this isn't a DR change but you guys DID remove padding/weighing certs from the DR and offered this instead and the original system was far far superior to this implementation (which is saying a lot considering how much I hated the old system). Hell, after all this grinding in the arena to get my invite, all this grinding to get BS, and you're telling me I can't even add ONE LOUSY PADDING POINT to my HCP armor (30 service pts vs 25 max)?! Whst the point is this system for?

I know I'll be selling off my smithy invite - there's really no point in pursuing the weighing/padding benefit anymore.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:35 AM CDT
>If you are stacking a damage padding accessory over crit padded torso armor at the hit location, these values will be halved.

At the moment I have unpadded armor and temporary crit padded accessories and it seems to me that there's no point getting any padding under the new rules because the first service kills the value of my accessories while doing virtually nothing for my armor.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:45 AM CDT

Regarding the armor accessories over armor, you're saying as long as one of the two parts of the equation has both types of padding, you won't see a halving of padding?

So if I had lightly damage padded and lightly crit padded full plate, and put a MCP helm on, the crit padding would stack (lightly + masterful) with the new system? Or does it still function as the old system where it would be halved, or heavy crit padding for the head.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:49 AM CDT
Ethereal Armor still eligible with padding flares under the new system. And per what I'm reading, everything should still be enchantable while working on the padding.

Lastly, if it's currently tempering, is it eligible for a service?

~Whirlin
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 08:59 AM CDT

Could we see a change to assessing or loresong that will show how far into a padding/weighting cycle an item is?

Under the old system you knew you were within a few points of hitting the next tier - but under the new system you could be hundreds of points and tens of services away from actually seeing your item upgraded.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 09:06 AM CDT
Darconas, when they implement something of this magnitude, it is generally a good idea to limit it far more than you intend to in the future so that if something goes wrong, it's more contained. Further, it's a learning experience for the GMs and as they learn what works well and what doesn't, they will tweak it. Using this release as a baseline for the future is a useless exercise in frustration, rather than a proper estimate of how difficult and costly it really will be.

I'd wait a few more events with these sorts of merchants before forming an opinion on this. I will say, though, it would probably have gone over better if they had waited until after Duskruin to release it via a wandering merchant or smaller event. That way player expectations for Duskruin padding could have been set in advance for next time, rather than having it sprung on them this time. That's part of their learning experience, though. :)

Josh
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 09:16 AM CDT
>> I will say, though, it would probably have gone over better if they had waited until after Duskruin to release it via a wandering merchant or smaller event.

I'll +1 that for feedback. Especially if the DR prices, and service limits, aren't representative.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 09:24 AM CDT
I'm all for experimentation, but quite frankly, you don't use a cash event to experiment. If they want to tweak the numbers, you do it with silvers and then roll it into a simucoin event.
So people are very justified because not only is the entrance gated behind a random chance that someone is spending real money on, but the service itself effectively requires real money be given to Simutronics in the form of simucoins.

That doesn't invalidate anyone's hard work, it doesn't mean the whole thing is garbage, it's just people expressing their disappointment that their real life money expenditure doesn't appear to be getting them what they expected. It seems this information was settled upon going into this project, I'm not sure why it wasn't expressed before hand. Other's have voiced their concerns as to why it might not have been. So now you have people who've invested decades of time into the game and people who have spent thousands of dollars in a short period of time, combined with a small community (compared to other games etc) who is understandably vocal and invested in getting what they feel is fair for what they've put into it.

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 10:12 AM CDT

This is the greatest mechanical change to hit since GSIV in my opinion.

It provides a framework to move this basic mechanical need forward in a controlled fashion.

No more will people be ogling at the extremely rare artifacts, expensive certs, but rather they'll have their own items they can work on regularly.

This shows long term foresight for the Gemstone gaming system, and hope to see additional progress in game design due to the availability of these mechanics as a general service.

I applaud all the GM's involved in this progressive system.

Crime Roy'al
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 10:13 AM CDT
>>Regarding the armor accessories over armor, you're saying as long as one of the two parts of the equation has both types of padding, you won't see a halving of padding?
Not quite.
- Having 2 types of padding on the same item have no effect on each other.
- Having torso armor and an accessory of the same type of padding will choose the larger of the two.
- Having one of the two with padding, and the other with another attribute (including a different type of padding) will halve the padding benefit.

The reasoning behind this is if all of these properties are on the same item, the servicing aspect of those items is calculated accordingly. When split across two items, it would make those items serviceable independently much cheaper while providing the same benefit.

>>Could we see a change to assessing or loresong that will show how far into a padding/weighting cycle an item is?
It's something I'd like to do.

>>Lastly, if it's currently tempering, is it eligible for a service?
Yes.

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 10:19 AM CDT
<<You now also have the very easily accessible option of steadily improving pretty much any gear that you have with a benefit that, due to the above, no longer comes with quite so many restrictions>>

If this is the goal of the system, stop this wandering merchant and pay event talk and drop a shop in each town that does this automated service. Steadily and slowly upgrading your gear over years, at even the ridiculous cost its geared at is fine, if you remove the luck element of chasing down merchants, dealing with getting picked via list or spinner, or having to "pay to win" with a guaranteed upgrade. You mention several times that its better than the old system because it removes the "luck" of catching the service, but then you require we get lucky and catch the service every 2 months for years to upgrade our stuff any significant amount.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 10:23 AM CDT
I suspect it will be more in line as a merchant service that is as commonly available as GALD (or close to it).

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 10:37 AM CDT
They've outright said there should even be automated npcs doing it too. So festivals should have it available for several days in a go.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 10:37 AM CDT

Thanks for all the answers Zissu, but I have a couple more questions! :)

Just to clarify your last answer re: halving or rather not halving of padding on a single item of armor with different services.

-- How does this work with a suit of armor with flares or TD in the primary slot and padding of one or both types in the W/P/S slot? Is the padding in this case also not halved since all of the service types are on the one piece of armor? If so, this is another great change with this new system.

-- Also, for W/P/S service costs how does having 2 different types of weighting or padding interact? Say you had 150 points of damage padding and 150 points of critical padding on a suit of armor. Is the cost for adding more damage padding only using the existing 150 damage padding as a basis or is it calculated off the combined service points of 300 (150 damage + 150 critical) already on it?

-- Related to that question, are the 5000 point service caps exclusive of each other or is that combined, ie you could only get 2500 of both or you could get 5000 of both.

This last question is for Wyrom and Zissu, you both answered my question on the gem eating armor script but I would like to clarify something. It has been quite frustrating to test out the script since there is no easy way to quickly swap out gems, plus needing to track down a bard and there is zero information available on the wiki. I still don't know a gem for at least a third of the effects heh.

-- Does the script still block the primary flare/td service slot, ie can we add flares to it now? I understand the weighting effect is moved to the W/P/S slot which can't be serviced. Zissu said the script still controls the primary slot and Wyrom said the slot is now available ... just a bit confused. :)
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 10:54 AM CDT

Just thought of some more questions:

-- Will premium padding still overwrite existing padding under 150 or will it be additive now?

-- With premium padding, can we now get both damage and critical padding on a piece of armor? Meaning, submit it twice to Sadie, once for damage and once for critical?
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 11:03 AM CDT
I'm hoping that the current Premium padding option remains for some time (I have less than a year to go before adding padding to some armor I've been working on in preparation).

>> -- Will premium padding still overwrite existing padding under 150 or will it be additive now?

It seems in line with how it has worked to date that it would overwrite. Making it additive would be overly powerful / abusive I think... maybe a PP price reduction / credit given for any existing padding (under HCP) would be cool though - prorate the price by 1 - (X / 150) where X is the number of padding points already on the armor.

>> -- With premium padding, can we now get both damage and critical padding on a piece of armor? Meaning, submit it twice to Sadie, once for damage and once for critical?

If I understand correctly, adding the second set of padding would be more expensive than the first set as the armor would already have 150 points of padding on it (I don't have the table handy but it would be more than 150 more points to have the 2nd type of padding added to the same level). So maybe not in line with the current Premium PP padding offering?

It's a new system so anything is possible!

-- Robert

The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 11:10 AM CDT
<answers on mechanics> -- Zissu

Short version: if you have armor with <one kind of extremely good padding level>, it is worth getting one point of <the other kind> on it simply to have your accessories NOT get halved. (Alternatively, if you find an accessory that's extremely good, getting a single point of <the other one> on it can be useful.)

I suppose my question is, at what point is the armor considered "padded"? If you get 5 services (halfway to that first point of padding)--which can be done with no surcharge--does it count as being padded or do you have to actually receive at least one point of benefit? (Getting to 10 current/1 previous.)
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 11:32 AM CDT
>>[The new system] is for everyone, whether you grind bloodscrip or just want to play the game and improve your favorite pieces of gear over time.
-Coase

This is exactly what I wanted to read in this thread. Thank you for designing around long term goals for people like me who don't play this game for the grind, but for the socializing :) I'll never have silver enough to buy the super high end gear and I'm fine with that, but this gives me the chance to keep mechanically improving the armor I have, whereas before it was only fluff enhancements (<3 Rikelle) that I could look forward to.

Ditto what Crime said too:
>>I applaud all the GM's involved in this progressive system.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 11:37 AM CDT
So... sighting on e-bows... yes? no?

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 11:45 AM CDT
The point about freeing up a 'spot' is not applicable for bows and armor. Just saying.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 11:47 AM CDT
>> The point about freeing up a 'spot' is not applicable for bows and armor. Just saying.

Bows, yes, armor, no. I plan to pad my Flaring armor.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 12:00 PM CDT

I asked you directly during SoE if it'd be possible still to go from none to HCP at comparable or lesser costs than the previous certs, and you said yes. Following you're statement there, and the previous statement along the same lines in April, I held off on getting the "drama" armor and sadie padding services, based on my trust in you to be telling me the straight story on this. Bottom line, trusting you screwed me over, and now I really don't want to play this game anymore with you at the helm, because I simply do not trust you or the staff under you anymore. If you had been straight with us from the start, I would have done things a lot differently. All this hush hush, is perceived to drive up sales during this DR before dropping this load of crap on us. People expected to be able to get to HCP this run. I didn't sell all my silver to buy simucoin to farm duskruin til my eyes bled for LCP. The item offering were mostly fluffy this run or not very useful as a caster, so my hopes of finding something cool this run were already dashed, padding was the one thing I was banking on. The simple truth is Wyrom, trusting you screwed me, and it's left such a sour taste in my mouth over it, that I don't really want to play anymore. People say it's just a game, but when you feel like that game is designed to milk you constantly for minimum returns, and you stop and think about how much real money things are costing, and the value of your account in the secondary market, then you get lied to after spending real money based on previous statements... It's crap.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 12:18 PM CDT
>>How does this work with a suit of armor with flares or TD in the primary slot and padding of one or both types in the W/P/S slot? Is the padding in this case also not halved since all of the service types are on the one piece of armor? If so, this is another great change with this new system.
Correct, if its all on one piece of armor, you've paid (through servicing mechanics) for the ability to have both benefits fully active in combat, so nothing is halved. Halving only comes into play when both accessories and torso armor are present and of different attributes.

>>Also, for W/P/S service costs how does having 2 different types of weighting or padding interact?
Costs for servicing do not increase with the amount of the type you are updating. If adding more crit weighting costs 10000 silver on your item, that price is the same if its your 1st point of weighting or your 2500th. In your scenario, you would pay a surcharge for the 150pts of critical weighting because its a different attribute, but no charge for the existing damage weighting.

>>Related to that question, are the 5000 point service caps exclusive of each other or is that combined, ie you could only get 2500 of both or you could get 5000 of both.
It currently caps out at 5000 total weighting.

>>Gem armor
I re-read the script, Mario was more correct than me. With padding moved out, the previously used attribute is now fully open. I don't want to comment on IF it would be allowed, but its technical feasible.

>>PP
Premium Padding isn't changing to being additive, it will still take you to 150pts.

>>So... sighting on e-bows... yes? no?
May not be a one size fits all answer, but in general yes.

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 12:22 PM CDT
I think you should revisit the accessories with same type of padding. As it stands, this change makes almost all padded accessories pointless in the long term. Some people bought accessories on the presumption that it would remain impossible to pad armor with other properties, In my case, s spent about 2500 PPs to pad a helm just a month or two ago. I never would have done that had I known this change was coming.

I'd also like to second the poster who requested that warrior assessment show more information. As much as the numbers are OOC, I'd like assessment to now provide exact numbers. With the greatly expanded spread, the current assessment language no longer provides adequate information.

Kerl
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 12:28 PM CDT

Zissu,

Would you be able to clarify that scripts such as Voln Armor and Ethereal Armor, where padding is tied to the script/flare, would be able to be padded under this new system? That is, the HCP flare on ethereal armor doesn't fill the critical padding spot.

Thank you.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 12:31 PM CDT
You could previously pad both of those armors under the old system. I don't see why we couldn't now. The numbers in the script should be scaled up and should still stack with the padding on the armor itself.

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 12:34 PM CDT
While I appreciate the overall change to the system, I despise intentionally making it worse for those of us who spent real money and time to grind out the blood scrip for it vs silver. A lot of us who spend real dollars and time on DR do it because we don't have tons of silvers, we run dr because it is our chance at getting something awesome. Saying you are intentionally nerfing the new system for us is pretty offensive no matter how you try to justify it. I've spent way to many years playing this game to spend hundreds of dollars on top of that plus hours of grinding to get something good for this.

At past DR,s you even had plus 17 3 slot hcp fusion gear for 50k bs. Compared to that this is highly underwhelming. You also have not given us an idea on how hard it will be to enchant the new padding system. Is 4x hcp fusion gear sometihng only a capped/post cap wizard should dare to try? Can it even really be done? How does padding gear that is being enchanted work if at all. You have a tendancy to not do some work on things that are tempering. This new supposedly reasonable method of yours takes a long time just to reach hcp. Beyond is freaking insane.

If we can't even work on getting the padding added at this crazy slow rate while doing with the insane temper times that is just disgusting.

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 12:51 PM CDT
>>So... sighting on e-bows... yes? no?

Muwahahaha. . .

Doug
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 01:07 PM CDT
>> You also have not given us an idea on how hard it will be to enchant the new padding system. Is 4x hcp fusion gear sometihng only a capped/post cap wizard should dare to try?

There are already some posts over in the Wizards->Enchanting folder around this based on what players have observed. It seems reasonable that many wizards should be able to bring HCP/HCW items up to 7x enchant without too much difficulty. I'd even venture to say (based on my past experience with fusion) that a capped /reasonably trained wizard could bring HCP Fusion armor to 7x as well (I don't have any HCP fusion armor to cast at for a read though).

In grand Gemstone tradition, I think they like leaving some things for the players to experiment with. I like the tradition personally, but think it starts to fall a bit flat when they start to tie systems and item properties to real dollars.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 01:14 PM CDT
>>I'll also see if there is something we can do for the people who were anticipating "heavy" being offered

You mean everyone? I would say it boils down to most of us.

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 01:17 PM CDT
I had no expectations. Overall the system changes surpass everything I was possibly expecting and, provided the plan that's being shared with us comes to pass, I feel will be a vastly better system than we had previously. To be frank, the way we were doing weighting and padding at DR was broken and unsustainable.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 01:32 PM CDT
>>They've outright said there should even be automated npcs doing it too. So festivals should have it available for several days in a go.

The next festival is eg, that is less than two months away so anything worked on now will still be locked.

Fyrentennimar

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 01:59 PM CDT
Not "locked" necessarily. Just more expensive. The limit is 25 total services at this DR. That doesn't mean you can't possibly get whatever the limit is at EG on top of that. You'd just be paying the surcharge/increased price for getting services 26-50 in your 60 day period.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 02:12 PM CDT
I don't think this has been asked yet. GoS sigils have not changing from their current functionality which I think has been previously stated. Is the application of such though different now? If I use sigil of major protection while wearing unpadded armor, it would result in HCP (150 pts on the new scale). If I use the same sigil while wearing HCP armor, I would go from 10 to 20 on the old scale. If the sigil is adding 150 pts under the new system, the sigil becomes less effective as the padding of your armor goes up. This is not a complaint, just looking for clarification.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 02:26 PM CDT

Estild has confirmed that sources of padding such as 520 and sigil are unchanged. The COMBAT system uses the old scale. This new scale is only for enhancement of the item attribute.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 02:26 PM CDT

The next festival is festival of the fallen. EG is the next pay fdstival.
Re: Weighting/Padding/Sighting Revamp! 08/27/2017 02:29 PM CDT
>>I don't think this has been asked yet. GoS sigils have not changing from their current functionality which I think has been previously stated. Is the application of such though different now? If I use sigil of major protection while wearing unpadded armor, it would result in HCP (150 pts on the new scale). If I use the same sigil while wearing HCP armor, I would go from 10 to 20 on the old scale. If the sigil is adding 150 pts under the new system, the sigil becomes less effective as the padding of your armor goes up. This is not a complaint, just looking for clarification.

Same question for 520

>>Estild has confirmed that sources of padding such as 520 and sigil are unchanged. The COMBAT system uses the old scale. This new scale is only for enhancement of the item attribute.

NO, he said they stack which isin't the same thing as they produce the same results as under the old system.
Fyrentennimar