Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6
Enchanting 09/09/2003 07:34 PM CDT
So....
Will the enchantments be charge-based like the moon mages gear?
I'd like to see some trigger for a weapon that would keep it from discharging whenever I use it. Maybe tap, rub or flick.
Recharge the enchanted item or replace it is another issue. Rechargable will mean a wider use of the enchantment as folks will be wanting their finest gear ensorcelled.
-Enchanted, charged items that can't be recharged take up extra weight and will seldom see light of day much like quest treasures.
-Charged, rechargable items will be all too common and run risk of a Gem Stone imbalance.
-A limit to the times an item can be recharged (say 3?) and a decently high number of charges each time would lead to some use at first then conservation towards the end.
-Pay the piper- like filling a favor orb an item could be recharged with the proper spells. This could be time consuming and justify a fair charge for high charge items. Knowing that it is possible to recharge an item will lead to its use, but knowing that it will cost a shiny plat or ten (And a day or two if mechanics are put on par with forging for duration)

I would like to see a lengthy process like the forging system put into play. It's rich for possibilities amd has room to grow with the game. Quests for certain enchanting styles (Placing a scroll spell into the item perhaps- only certain scrolls of course. Magical sigils that glow along the length of the blade for the enchanter's seal though this does conflict with the maker's seal on forged items.)
Another possibility that could be looked into is a link between the enchanter and the weapon being forged. If a mage worked with the weapon/armor smith and performed certain actions while the forging is in process the item would be more accepting of that mage's workings. The presence of a Bard playing the enchante "Failure of the Forge" (Rumored to help in the enchanting of metal items) would conclude a powerful team effort of several guilds. Interguild efforts would always be a good thing. It would also provide the opportunity for legendary weapons. But such a weapon would best be linked to the bearer permanently. (The consent verb from grave robbing could be tapped into for recharging the item)
Just some questions and ideas.
I apologize for the length.

Jerevth

Into the pit with those bloodthirsty sons of ~Rakash Lasses~
Re: Enchanting and MD Scripters 09/09/2003 10:29 PM CDT
Someone explain this to me cause I dont understand. 1) Was this EVIL MD bug early on was it not in that it was easy to learn but that after you got it to mind locked the exp absorbed at an abnormal rate. Or 2) is it that you could focus rune 10-20 times and get it mind locked and be able to do this until 99999+ skill?

If its the second, I just dont see the second version of this being any form of bug as my WM can keep it ML 24/7 in combat and out so any type of ML skill gain should not be a problem and thus does not present any kind of emergency that should be even bothered with here besides the fact that they trained it to much to lvl before req changes.
Re: Enchanting and MD Scripters 09/09/2003 10:46 PM CDT
<<Someone explain this to me cause I dont understand.

You were only able to mindlock it a bit quicker without using mana. Absorption was the same as other skills.
Re: Enchanting and MD Scripters 09/09/2003 11:33 PM CDT
>I think there have been some constructive conversations taking place in regards to a very big project for the wm guild with major impact potential. I think it is benificial to voice concerns and suggestions while things are still developing.

*Stands up and applauds loudly*

"You nut-hook! Die!"
WM Enchanting 09/10/2003 04:53 PM CDT
I won't lie. Im a poor 7 month old player and I do want to have enchanting be worth wild and worth buying and capable for each of us with different areas of potentiality to be able to put their skills forward as useful.

Currently what I see is Moon Mages keep getting new enchanting abilities to keep the problem of more Moon Mages catching up to also being able to enchant in the same pot.

In other words, 1 year ago there were less Moon Mages capable of enchanting gweths than there is now. This perpetually keeps creating a hole in which Moon Mages who have been lucky enough to be from the start getting all the gain. And all the rest lose out by the time they become capable. Mainly because all they end up doing is flooding the market.

We have alot more than just lunar magic, but multiple elements. Giving us the ability to possibly enchant based on our abillity in the said element. In other words, if its based on having most the spells to a book, or creating a lore of enchanting based on each element to learn. It would be something we could all work towards and be proficient in our own areas. Eventually we might get into the same problem. But it would take a bit more effort to do so. Especially if WM Enchanting starts at ZERO for Everyone based on Lore. Giving us all something to work up in. Then all thats necesary is to study the elements we wish to.

And in addition, I hope that the ability to mingle elements be capable also. Or further yet make it possible to find a way to create blackfire enchantments.

Maybe during the enchantment process a specific spell would have to be cast on the item such as bless or something. And then the process continue to enchant and mingle the energies into one.

Fire-Soul
Re: WM Enchanting 09/10/2003 05:23 PM CDT
You want a new skill that you can work on to enchant on what you percieve to be a level playing field. What about the skills mages have been working on for years with an eye towards enchanting? Invalidate all their work and skills for your benefit?

We don't need a new skill, particularly one directed at our guild. It would only mean we would have to have a req in it.
Re: WM Enchanting 09/10/2003 05:57 PM CDT
>>This perpetually keeps creating a hole in which Moon Mages who have been lucky enough to be from the start getting all the gain.<<

All of the recently released enchantments (the five released in HSN) were aimmed at younger enchanters. Of the five, I think divination bone carving is the hardest from a strictly skill test perspective (primarily because it scales well, and nobody wants an existant but sub-par object).

We have been told that higher end enchantments are planned, however. "Higher end" as in aimmed at ~150th circle Moon Mages.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: WM Enchanting 09/11/2003 09:17 AM CDT
<<if its based on having most the spells to a book>>
Thats an interesting idea for some enchants. Cabals could play a role in this, though I don't know what the status on that project is.

B-Hon, Pullin Seihjin's Strings Behind the Scenes

"What is a warrior's worth, when there is no one left to fight?" - Lord Seihjin Verackai
Re: WM Enchanting 09/11/2003 09:23 AM CDT
>>Cabals could play a role in this, though I don't know what the status on that project is.

I'm not sure we even know the status of enchanting.

Mia

There is nothing more liberating than dancing barefoot.
Re: WM Enchanting 09/11/2003 09:30 AM CDT
We know its being developed as we speak and will be out in DRII. I am honestly clueless on the status of cabals, if its even being worked on yet.

B-Hon, Pullin Seihjin's Strings Behind the Scenes

"What is a warrior's worth, when there is no one left to fight?" - Lord Seihjin Verackai
Re: Enchanting and MD Scripters 09/12/2003 08:00 AM CDT
<<I understand where Meanne is coming from, she raises a very valid concern. One factor is not only how much time it took to learn but what you could do to learn it. I can lock MD fairly swiftly with my method, takes about 15 minutes, and I can do it when traveling through familiar territory, when I reach good mana rooms. If this bug, whatever it was, allowed people to train MD with barely any time or effort then I can see being able to quickly shoot up in ranks. First off MD will likely be a factor, at least I think so, it makes sense, right?>>

The bug was stated to reward more experience for using 'only' a magical device then intended. This did not let you learn faster, just made it easier to keep your MD pool locked. I think for the most part, those who have high MD ranks, also learned PM and HR as well. Few just locked MD, but some did.

Currently learning MD is tied more into learning PM and HR as well.

dseth
Enchanting. 09/13/2003 10:32 PM CDT
Why is everyone focusing so heavily on MD anyway? If you'll take a look at Moon Mage enchanting, MD doesn't play all that big a part. Its mostly mechanical lore and scholarship with astrology in the mix. So who cares if some people have alot of MD that's higher than the norm, if they don't have the other skills to back it up, then it's pointless.

-A.G/A.T/V.H/C.

Re: Enchanting. 09/13/2003 10:53 PM CDT
<<MD doesn't play all that big a part.

Thought the moonies needed 400 in MD to make gweths.

Trebber
Re: Enchanting. 09/13/2003 11:21 PM CDT

The items are being imbued with a magical nature so MD seems a logical part of the formulae.
I'm hoping this is a unique system and not a copy of the moon mage enchanting system, myself. Besides. We aren't moon mages so why should war mage enchanting begin to resemble the moon mage system?
Would you want it so?

Jerevth

Re: Enchanting. 09/14/2003 08:49 AM CDT
To me it makes sense that any form of enchanting wouldn't be too different from one another. I'm not saying MD shouldn't be a factor in WM enchanting, but I doubt it'll be even close to being the key factor involved. And didn't one of the GMs say that WM enchanting was going to use the basics and guidelines of the current MM enchanting system? I think Valdrik did. I apologize if I'm wrong on that.

-A.G/A.T/V.H/C.

Re: Enchanting. 09/14/2003 10:23 AM CDT
<<I'm not saying MD shouldn't be a factor in WM enchanting, but I doubt it'll be even close to being the key factor involved.>>

The magical devices skill is defined as the ability to identify, use, adjust, and otherwise manipulate mundane items which have some form of magic in them.

WM enchanting from what I understand is going to involve weaving some form of combat spell (magic) into weapons and armor (mundane items). Sounds to me like MD is gonna play a big part.

-Accipam
Re: Enchanting. 09/14/2003 02:38 PM CDT
>"The magical devices skill is defined as the ability to identify, use, adjust, and otherwise manipulate mundane items which have some form of magic in them."

I think it might be worth mentioning that Weapon skills, the ability to use, adjust, and otherwise manipulate martial armaments is having its role in the creation of weapons themselves reduced, in favor of a lore skill.

-Robert
Re: Enchanting. 09/14/2003 03:26 PM CDT
<<I think it might be worth mentioning that Weapon skills, the ability to use, adjust, and otherwise manipulate martial armaments is having its role in the creation of weapons themselves reduced, in favor of a lore skill.>>

The difference is, when you mess with a magical device, you can charge and alter it and understand its makeup in a fundamental way. When you swing a sword, you learn how to swing it better, you aren't studying its makeup or the aspects of its existance. So then there's metalworking, the creation and study of the makeup and manipulation of all things metal. Thus, metalworking makes more sense for weapon and armor creation, just as MD makes more sense for enchanting.

-Accipam
Re: Enchanting. 09/14/2003 05:04 PM CDT
For the purpose of enchanting a weapon the sword or whatever becomes a vessel. How one swings it has nothing to do with how it is enchanted. It's components (lore) however have evrything to do with it- wooden haft, leather wrap, steel blade... kertig alloy?

Moon mage magic and war mage magic are as different as lunar and elemental mana. There is no reason for any major similarity between the two systems of enchantment. (But then we delve into the technical aspects of reality- it's a damn sight easier taking an established system and modifying it rather then building from scratch)
I say MD makes sense from an IG pov.

Jerevth

Re: Enchanting. 09/15/2003 12:20 AM CDT
I'm just saying, I think it was Valdrik who said WM enchanting was going to be based off of the system for MM enchanting. And as having an enchanting MM of my own, I know MD doesn't play nearly the biggest part of the system. If the two are going to be using the same system, I'd imagine MD would play probably about the same role it does in the current system.

-A.G/A.T/V.H/C.

Re: Enchanting. 09/15/2003 01:53 AM CDT
<<Sounds to me like MD is gonna play a big part.>>

It will play a part, how big is still yet another matter entirely. At this point speculation as to how big is probably a bit premature.

-Chakram

"It's a shame they let the old punishments die out....God I miss the screaming."
Re: Enchanting. 09/15/2003 02:10 AM CDT
<<It will play a part, how big is still yet another matter entirely. At this point speculation as to how big is probably a bit premature.

I definitely don't think MD should be the only magic skill involved in this magical endeavor.

Re: Enchanting. 09/16/2003 01:20 PM CDT
Yeah, you guys could use scholarship and ast.. r.. err.. "elemental lore".
Enchanting 05/04/2004 01:51 AM CDT
As someone who doesn't belong in the warrior mage folder I have some questions about the proposed enchanting system,
1) are they planing to have ways to put "flares" or random magic affects that go off from time to time?
2) charged invokable weapon aditions
3) Id like to see warrior mages get a way to make rediculous cash because frankly magic classes get the shaft in DR and they need alot more development and are underpowered.

im exited about enchanting someone share what has been talked about by GMs

"A sabre in the head is worth two in the bush"
Re: Enchanting 05/04/2004 01:52 AM CDT
Will enchanting allow me to set people on fire.

Also, if yes to the above, will I be able to creature marshmellows via an earth enchantment?

~~From Hell

"Then look for me by moonlight,
Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way."- Alfred Noyes
Re: Enchanting 05/04/2004 02:11 AM CDT
>im exited about enchanting someone share what has been talked about by GMs

I'm excited too. Nothing has been talked about it. Supposedly the finishing touches are now being made....on the proposal. There's a simucon seminar scheduled I guess. Hopefully someone will post about it 20 minutes later.

Tessaa
Re: Enchanting 05/04/2004 07:27 AM CDT
<<Id like to see warrior mages get a way to make rediculous cash because frankly magic classes get the shaft in DR and they need alot more development and are underpowered.

I am really getting tired of this. If you aren't over on other boards complaining about how overpowered magic is, you are over hear being sarcastic about it. Please stop already. When was the last time I spoke out against any guild? I mean, do you seriously get any type of enjoyment out of this, or is it just some form of imature "grass is greener" kind of thing?

As for your other questions, nothing has been said to us about enchanting except maybe it is fourth or fifth on a list of WM priorties (with no idea how many priorities from other parts of the game in there) and that DR2 needed to be up and running before they could even begin to start coding anything yet. Enchanting is still in the thought phase, and they aren't sharing their thoughts.

Check back in two years to see if anything has come up.

Trebber
Re: Enchanting 05/04/2004 02:27 PM CDT
I wont get into all the reasons magic is completly broken in DR but if you think anything otherwise your only kidding yourself, I was making a sarcastic quip that was more of a compliment to warmies than anything els,
I wasnt here to make anyone feel guilty for being cheaters!
::tongue firmly in cheek::

Re: Enchanting 05/04/2004 05:33 PM CDT
<<I wont get into all the reasons magic is completly broken in DR but if you think anything otherwise your only kidding yourself, I was making a sarcastic quip

Take it somewhere else, my friend. Have a complaint, post there. Want to discuss magic, post over there.

Trebber
Re: Enchanting - A Slight Nudge 05/04/2004 11:18 PM CDT
Nothing too off base here, but general discussions on magic are best put in the Magic folders. Likewise, complaints in complaint folders.

Lets keep it all smooth in here folks!

Questions or comments may be sent to mod-liebeth@play.net

Regards,

Mod Liebeth

It was Chakram's fault. I saw him.
Re: Enchanting 05/06/2004 10:24 AM CDT
>>I'm excited too. Nothing has been talked about it. Supposedly the finishing touches are now being made....on the proposal. There's a simucon seminar scheduled I guess. Hopefully someone will post about it 20 minutes later.<<

I'll probably be the one posting about it 20 minutes later, although the Seminar is just going to be on supposidly how its going to work and why they did it this way and not another way, since its not known it they will get approval on it yet. Its still up in the air. Thats what I've learned during the beta testing so far.

~Laurieana

....<insert witty and sarcastic comment here>
Weapon Enchanting 06/22/2004 10:58 AM CDT
I'm having a hard time visualizing some targetted spells being enchanted into a weapon. You've got a melee weapon with a ranged attack side effect. Just seems odd.

What would be interesting is having two types of enchanting. First you can imbue the weapon with an element type adding to a certain damage type.
Water = add cold damage
Fire = add fire damage (Duh!)
Elec = add elec damage (Duh!)
Earth = incease impact (increases the desity of the weapon)
Aether = increase slice damage (hones the blade with an aether edge)
Air = increase balance (::shrug::)

Then have enchanting as mentioned, adding an existing spell to the weapon. But, have tapping the weapon invoke the spell. Bows with Tailwind would be big sellers. I can actually visualize this better. The mighty mage strikes his quarterstaff on the ground and chainlighting rips from the other end. The sly mage rubs his dagger and cuts his prey's neck as they crumple over from vertigo.

Special enchanting should go into loaded ranged weapons. Embue a bow with the fire element. Then add the targetted spell like fireshard. Charge it up. No arrows needed, it now fires fireshards. Does this for a certain number of strikes and then has to be recharged. Same goes for each element and it's targetted spells.

Fasuteka, The Rakash Library
"http://members.aol.com/fasuteka/main.html"
Re: Weapon Enchanting 06/24/2004 02:40 AM CDT
I Hope very much that the enchanting system will basicly just add "procs" to weapons, on a perminate basis (such as procing weapons from GS3/4) that will randomly "flare" fire/electricity etc, however it would be cool if a weapon could be enchanted to be better balanced or more suited to strength, anyway my biggest concern:

Please please please make sure enchanting works on BONDED weapons on release rather then having to backtrack and "fix" enchanting to function with the code for bonded weapons etc, as its stands right now BONDED weapons cannot have poison applyed to them, so hopefuly that gets resolved aswell.

Re: Weapon Enchanting 06/24/2004 07:38 AM CDT
>>Please please please make sure enchanting works on BONDED weapons on release rather then having to backtrack and "fix" enchanting to function with the code for bonded weapons etc, as its stands right now BONDED weapons cannot have poison applyed to them, so hopefuly that gets resolved aswell.

If I understand the bonding process, even if Weapon Enchanting works with Bonded weapons, it would only be usable on a weapon bonded to the enchanter himself.

Although it would be a very good idea to make sure that bonding an enchanted weapon works correctly when done in that order. I could see all sorts of funky stuff happening when bonding an enchanted weapon.

Also, part of the problem with poisoning bonded weapons is undoubtedly related to the limitations of the old game engine, since a weapon only has so many slots (1, to be precise) for additional stuff, so in DR1 you would lose the bonding if you were able to poison the blade, since the info for each would occupy the same slot. :(

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info/index.html
Mac OS X FE: http://www.simucon2004.com/~kynevon/DragonRealms/WaveFront.zip
Status of Enchanting 08/25/2004 07:33 PM CDT
Is the proposed system already through QC? I posted in the familiar boards but was hoping to get an answer on if enchanting could include combat devices such as golems (a bit like the metal golem concept from AD&D).

I never really heard if that was possible, but it would tie nicely into lore/familiars/enchanting.

Silverfax
Re: Status of Enchanting 08/26/2004 04:00 AM CDT
<<Is the proposed system already through QC?>>

Not even close, it's not even coded as of yet.

<<I posted in the familiar boards but was hoping to get an answer on if enchanting could include combat devices such as golems (a bit like the metal golem concept from AD&D).>>

I saw the post, I'll be replying to it shortly. I'm not sure that we'll have golems as enchantments or as familiars or at all, golems haven't really been discussed.

-Chakram

Not my fault... honest.
Re: Status of Enchanting 08/26/2004 12:43 PM CDT
About the only headway made so far is...

I got tired of fixing bugs and coded the Mend spell up during this past weekend. It still has to go through QC, and will probably be released during HWN.

~V

<--- Warrior Mage Haiku --->
My pants are aflame
I did not learn water spells
so now I must ARGGHHHH

http://www.livejournal.com/users/valdrik/

http://www.naebunny.com/TopFrameSet.htm
Re: Status of Enchanting 08/26/2004 01:06 PM CDT
>I got tired of fixing bugs and coded the Mend spell up during this past weekend. It still has to go through QC, and will probably be released during HWN.

Swt. I'm so lazy with getting armor/weapons repaired...

Player of Tessaa
Re: Status of Enchanting 08/26/2004 09:38 PM CDT
<<I got tired of fixing bugs and coded the Mend spell up during this past weekend.>>

Got any more details for us? Book? Pre-reqs? precise effect?
Re: Status of Enchanting 08/26/2004 10:11 PM CDT
>><<I got tired of fixing bugs and coded the Mend spell up during this past weekend.>>

>>Got any more details for us? Book? Pre-reqs? precise effect?

If it comes close to what he was telling us about during the seminar at SimuCon this year, it ought to be a nice spell. But not easy to max out, either.

From my notes:
Mend spell infuses/repairs weapon
Valdrik is currently planning to have Mend able to repair armor/weapons that are past the auto-repair shops ability.

Mend is fairly straight forward, being used to repair the damage that part of the enchanting process will incur to the weapon being enchanted. As a bonus, Valdrik (who doesn't like lame things like one-shot pony spells only useful for enchanting) will also try to make it so that ths spell can pretty much fix most anything.

Probably going to be an Earth spell, or maybe Fire. I really can't see it fitting anywhere else, unless Mend is defined as arc welding (Electricity) or something obscure (Aether).

Pre-reqs will probably include either a PM or circle minimum, along with the possibility of one or more spells, if any would make sense...

Precise effect, will hopefully live up to what he said he wanted it to do at SimuCon, mentioned above. ::drool::

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info/index.html
Mac OS X FE: http://kynevon.info/WaveFront.zip
Amagaim's What to Hunt list: http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.xls
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6