Re: Enchanting Armor 07/09/2005 09:46 AM CDT
Although more than likely completely different... Look a GS4's new armors with elemental flares.

Digressions, objections, delight in mockery, carefree mistrust are signs of health; everything unconditional belongs in pathology.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
(Dont feed the pathogens)
Enchanting and Brawling weapons 10/01/2005 07:51 PM CDT
I don't know if this has been asked and answered already, but when the highly anticipated and long awaited Warmie enchanting is released, will we be able to enchant brawling weapons as well?

Flame Adept Moto, A Journeyman Warrior Mage
Re: Enchanting and Brawling weapons 10/02/2005 10:10 PM CDT
Better yet, can i burn perminant scars of sigils into my hands so when i punch it lashes out with elemental damage? Yes i know mantle of flame does this but i'm thinking other elements and diffrent effects. Or maybe into my gloves atleast (i know that sounds like armor enchanting but sence armor is now a weapon it works here)

"Come for me now world, whilst I am weak. I shall prevail. Come at me world before I am strong, then witness my strength." ~Ecodom
Re: Enchanting and Brawling weapons 10/02/2005 10:11 PM CDT
just pointing out the underlieing problom with mantle of flame is you can't hide so well. so this would allow us the extra brawl damage bonus of being a warrior mage without the incredible hinderance of glowing like a torch

"Come for me now world, whilst I am weak. I shall prevail. Come at me world before I am strong, then witness my strength." ~Ecodom
Re: Enchanting and Brawling weapons 11/04/2005 11:36 PM CST
Ok, tossing in my two cents.

This is what i picture with what has been suggested about the column of air.

The field goblin closes to melee on you!

>parry
Your sword sets itself to parry.

Attacking weakly, the field goblin slices at you. You easily block the attack, causeing the sword to fly off westward!

A sword being held up by air just flew west.

<In other room>

Mr. Noobie retreats from combat.

Mr. Noobie retreats from combat.

A field goblin advances on Mr. Noobie.

A sword just came hurtling in from the east

Mr. Noobie bounces up and down like a little kid.

Mr. Noobie says, "Hey, free sword!"

Mr. Noobie picks up a sword.

Mr. Noobie just went west.

THE END

ok, drawn out, but you get my picture.. try something else.
Re: Enchanting and Brawling weapons 11/05/2005 09:47 AM CST
Even better...

<in other room>

A field goblin closes to pole weapon range on JoeNewb.

JoeNewb tries to retreat from a field goblin, but is unable to get away!

JoeNewb tries to retreat from a field goblin, but is unable to get away!

A field goblin closes to melee range on JoeNewb.

JoeNewb says, "mommy....."

A tear rolls down JoeNewb's face.

A short sword just came flying in from the east!

A short sword flies at a field goblin. A field goblin attempts to evade, failing miserably. A sword lands an apocalyptic strike (So that's what it felt when Grazhir shattered!) that drives the short sword under the sternum to pierce the heart.
A field goblin falls to the ground and lies still.

JoeNewb exclaims, "woot!"

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Enchanting and Brawling weapons 01/04/2006 06:39 PM CST
I like the glowing, it makes me feel pretty.
Re: A few notes on Warrior Mage Enchanting 04/01/2006 06:21 PM CST
Ooof! Nasty! You had me going there for about a paragraph... mostly because some of it seemed to make sense :ducks: Well ye got me.. Thanks for the laugh!

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Enchanting System live? 05/16/2006 12:35 PM CDT
Hi, i've recently returned to DR after a long term vacation from the realms, forgive my inabilitty to browse throo all the forums and announcemnts but... is enchantments still in the process to be released or are they allready live and well?
If so, or just part of the process, would a kind sould feel me in on what i should be looking for in terms of practicing and resorce and tool scavanging?

Thank you in advance for any responses

"The moment I casted that lightning bolt I remembered why eletrical mages seem to find their doom in the swamps"

"Hey! Me common aint so good as it aint me native language ... so go on an arrest me!" :: mumbles ::
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/16/2006 12:39 PM CDT
Enchanting is currently not in the game, and I believe is slated for '07, following certain major updates to various systems.

-Durnil
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/16/2006 03:00 PM CDT
Hahahahahahahahaahaha ::cough:: hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sorry. What was the question?

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 01:17 AM CDT
You're cute, Treb.

More seriously, Enachantment is more-or-less on the back burner to several issues currently being worked on, including what will probably be a major overhaul of the whole combat system, including TM spells. Ugh.

Also, unfortunately, Valdrik, the Dev GM who had Weapon Enchanting as his baby, had to leave the game/GMing, due to some real life stuff, like his job as a Fire Department paramedic.

Our current guild guru is doing a fine job, but is still working on some stuff that Valdrik had to drop the ball on, including the long-drawn-out Spell Review, which keeps getting affected by other changes (like the current combat changes) that come into play for the game.

Just as an FYI:

Warrior Mage GM Wythor (fairly recently certified, I think, to finally start work on Magic)
Warrior Mage AGM Reistor (very quiet, but we have been told he(?) is very busy behind the scenes helping on the Dev work)
Warrior Mage Liaison Chakram (appropriately noisy, a quiet liaison wouldn't be much use, does a [relative to the Dev GMs, I mean] small amount of coding, more involved in liaising)
Familiar GM Rottcloar (been quiet waaaay too long, hopefully working away on fixing that code now that he has been returned to us frmo Merelew II duties)

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/b7zj8
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 01:25 AM CDT
>Warrior Mage AGM Reistor (very quiet, but we have been told he(?) is very busy behind the scenes helping on the Dev work)

Reisten :)

-Durnil
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 06:19 AM CDT
It's been said that one of the main things that is holding back the enchanting system is that the main skill for it does not exsist yet and will not until the mech lore split happens

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 07:20 AM CDT
<<It's been said that one of the main things that is holding back the enchanting system is that the main skill for it does not exsist yet and will not until the mech lore split happens

Not true.

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 07:58 AM CDT
Thanks for the responses, i'm a bit sad enchantments still in the forge... and yet again so many changes in the GM team... but ok i've becomed acustomed with it he he

Best of lucks Wythor, Reistor, Chakram, Rottcloar :: mutters under a yellow smile: "drop the ball too and i'll hunt you down and rip the scalp of yer skulls"

ShiftShade Tuvak

"The moment I casted that lightning bolt I remembered why eletrical mages seem to find their doom in the swamps"

"Hey! Me common aint so good as it aint me native language ... so go on an arrest me!" :: mumbles ::
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 09:27 AM CDT
>>>Warrior Mage AGM Reistor (very quiet, but we have been told he(?) is very busy behind the scenes helping on the Dev work)

>>Reisten :)

That shows how quiet he is, I can't remember his name yet...

Heh. My apologies to GM Reisten.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 04:27 PM CDT
<<Not true.>>

Would you mind expanding on that instead of just telling the person he/she is wrong? If it's not waiting on the mech lore split to add the skill, then what is the main issue?

Thanks.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
(Petitioning for Last Names for Elanthians of not so olde)
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/17/2006 05:02 PM CDT
<<then what is the main issue?

I would love to expand on the topic, Marty, for those who don't follow the thread.

Weapon enchanting is not waiting on the new lore skill which will come out with the mech lore split. Wythor has already said it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Ssra said in February that the mech lore split was one of his top priorities this year. So, I seriously seriously doubt that when the mech lore split comes out, that the weapon enchanting proposal will have been rehashed by our current team (who for the most part had no input on Valdrik's proposal). Given that the proposal, by some shear act of a miracle, will be flushed out fully in the next 7 months, that an approval will be received to go ahead with the proposal, that coding and skill set up and logistics and RP backstories can be done post-haste, and all of this gets through QC smoothly without minimal hick-ups, retweaking and coding, all while Wythor works on his current list of tasks and priorities (of which, weapon enchanting is not one), when someone makes the statement

<<It's been said that one of the main things that is holding back the enchanting system is that the main skill for it does not exsist yet and will not until the mech lore split happens

it is so much easier to say "not true" then to go on for a paragraph pointing out how misleading such a statement is and how it instills a sense of false hope in those who haven't been paying attention to the discussions on this topic.

But, since you asked, Marty ...

Trebber

Re: Enchanting System live? 05/18/2006 12:02 AM CDT
>>I would love to expand on the topic, Marty, for those who don't follow the thread.

Since I am Marty, and the one you were responding to is not me, unless he is one of the few, rare other Martys, I think ya mentioned the wrong name.

And Elemental Arcana was never going to be a Mech puppie...

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Enchanting System live? 05/18/2006 08:28 AM CDT
Heh, sorry about that, my friend. I saw the lightning bolts in the avatar and ...

Well, let's just call it a blonde moment.

Trebber

Re: Enchanting System live? 05/18/2006 05:36 PM CDT
I was the one who asked for more clarification on the "Not true" statement. It seems like it would be even easier not to respond. I didn't post the statement that it's waiting for the mech split, and honestly didn't remember what exactly was holding it up other than our GMs have other things on their plates right now that take presedence. I just dislike arguments that turn into, "No it's not." "Yes it is.", and posts like yours that just state, "Not true." tend to start things like that.

Thank you for the explanation of what is holding up enchanting, I found that post much more enlightening than the "Not true." post.

(Petitioning for Last Names for Elanthians of not so olde)
Re: Enchanting System live? 05/31/2006 11:24 PM CDT
>>posts like yours that just state, "Not true." tend to start things like that.

<cheerfully> My experience on the boards has been the opposite. If no one explains, the inquirer usually go away. If they explain, then there's a chance someone will actually disagree with something in the statement.

Yes, I responded to that. I'm bored. Packing is boring.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.

"A good war is very instructive." -- Me.
Enchanting News? 05/09/2007 07:34 PM CDT
>At this point, until things are more finalized we'll probably still be holding back most of the details.
>-Chakram

This is from a post by Chakram on 6/27/06. Any news on the enchanting front? Even a small teaser of what the system will eventually look like?

>Who planned and orchestrated all of this?
>Robot Ninja Pirates.
>We can do even better than this.
>Vampire Zombie Robot Ninja Nazi
Re: Enchanting News? 05/09/2007 07:59 PM CDT
Has anything been hammered out yet?
Re: Enchanting News? 05/09/2007 09:25 PM CDT
Ultimately, the enchantment system isn't my call to make, and the reason why I haven't posted updates is because you know just as much about it as I do. It's going to be part of the creation systems, so hopefully we will have some information when crafting is more fleshed out.

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: Enchanting News? 05/10/2007 10:47 AM CDT
Lets go find Ssra and bug him
Re: Enchanting News? 05/11/2007 09:50 PM CDT
Better yet.

Lets just fixes us out yourselves.
Re: Enchanting News? 05/12/2007 09:46 AM CDT
I wonder how Enchanting will work for NMU's since all creation systems are supposed to be available to all guilds, or so I've heard. Perhaps there will be separate piece components of Enchanting, versus solely being magical in nature?

~The one who is obsessed with power.
__
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com - The Sounds of Time
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner.xls - Personal Bard Planner
Re: Enchanting News? 05/13/2007 02:53 PM CDT
<<I wonder how Enchanting will work for NMU's since all creation systems are supposed to be available to all guilds, or so I've heard. Perhaps there will be separate piece components of Enchanting, versus solely being magical in nature?

I was going to say, I'm pretty sure Barbs can't use 'most' MM enchants, as - they are definitive examples of items imbued with Lunar magic and Barbs have magical allergies year round. That being said, I sincerely doubt and hope there will not be a separate piece components of enchanting that are not solely magical in nature because...that is what enchanting is: Imbuing magical potential into the mundane.

The only way around this I can imagine is that some NMU guilds that don't have magical allergies, but just aren't 'good' at manipulating magic (Thieves, Traders) may be able to use weapons that have elemental runes inscribed that 'react' to impact, ie: A sword that when it lands a blow may or may not burst into flame. I couldn't imagine a Barbarian ever being able to use an enchanted weapon, however. It just wouldn't make sense, unless it is a detriment and not an advantage.

~The Fire Lion Magmus Bloodston, Blackfire Enthusiast
Re: Enchanting News? 05/13/2007 04:11 PM CDT
> couldn't imagine a Barbarian ever being able to use an enchanted weapon, however.

I'm sure there will be some enchants that are similar to gweths that anybody could use. I can't imagine why a sword wouldn't burst into a flame due to impact if the person were a Barbarian instead of a Thief.

>I sincerely doubt and hope there will not be a separate piece components of enchanting that are not solely magical in nature because

I think there are some enchants that could be made that don't require the maker to use magic. However, I bet it'll teach and use MD, and so Barbarians won't want to make magical items.

>Who planned and orchestrated all of this?
>Robot Ninja Pirates.
>We can do even better than this.
>Vampire Zombie Robot Ninja Nazi
Re: Enchanting News? 05/13/2007 04:30 PM CDT
Oh grand... anouther WM system outside of our teams hands. Woo hoo. I'm sure you guys will do well making it, but due to how well this has worked in the past, I just gotta say heh.

Time will tell,

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Enchanting News? 05/13/2007 05:34 PM CDT
Yea.

I'll deal with that bridge when it gets burned.

After all, enchanting did start with the moon mage guild. maybe it's just an expantion, htough I would love for something to chew up.
Re: Enchanting News? 05/13/2007 06:56 PM CDT
I think I just posted this somewhere else... but originally the idea behind WM enchanting was "engraving". So perhaps all guilds will be able to engrave, but only WMs can actually enchant the engraved runes? The orignal idea was for all NMU's to be able to use passively enchanted items (flaming swords, reduced weight claymores, etc) however the active enchantments (fireball, lightning bolt) that required mana to charge them would only be usable by MUs. I guess time will tell!

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Enchanting News? 05/13/2007 08:43 PM CDT
>>I couldn't imagine a Barbarian ever being able to use an enchanted weapon, however.

Who cares if they can use them? That's not relevant to the enchanting creation system.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Enchanting News? 05/14/2007 12:13 AM CDT
>>I couldn't imagine a Barbarian ever being able to use an enchanted weapon, however.

>Who cares if they can use them? That's not relevant to the enchanting creation system.

It is directly relevant to their Guild theory.

Fuquois
Re: Enchanting News? 05/15/2007 11:00 AM CDT
<<I can't imagine why a sword wouldn't burst into a flame due to impact if the person were a Barbarian instead of a Thief.

The Inherent Magical Resistance of the Barbarian would interfere with the 'runes' engraved in the blade. Last I checked, Barbs were not capable of using a runestone (the appropriate way). I consider an Enchanted weapon to be a little bit more complex than a runestone. According to what I know about the Barb Guild and what I know about the proposed Enchanting system for Warrior Mages, it is in my belief that it doesn't make logical sense for Barbarians to use any weapon imbued with Elemental mana/magic. It doesn't make logical sense for Barbarians to use any magical item due to their 'scope', but exceptions (Gweths...) have occured, but are not always the precident (Barbs can't wear a number of other magical items or use them, so, why should they be able to take advantage of a sword that bursts into flame but not a runestone?). The Thief is a NMU, but, he is also an NMU who doesn't interfere with the flow of mana directly. A Barbarian does through their training and inherent Magical Resistance. Thus, why, I imagine the hypothetical problem with Barbs and enchanted weapons.

<<The orignal idea was for all NMU's to be able to use passively enchanted items (flaming swords, reduced weight claymores, etc) however the active enchantments (fireball, lightning bolt) that required mana to charge them would only be usable by MUs. I guess time will tell!

And that was my main arguement back when Enchanting was first brought up. How can a flaming sword be considered a passive enchant? The Mana/runes inscribed react to something and create the burst, but, if so - it being held in the hands of the Barb would mean it would be subjected to their MR and vis versa. No Barb should be able to use a magical weapon affectively. Nor, should they want to considering their scope/history.

~The Fire Lion Magmus Bloodston, Blackfire Enthusiast
Re: Enchanting News? 05/15/2007 11:15 AM CDT
Right but..what about the thief/traders. No real MR to think of. They have nothing against using magic. And if the sword say, bursts into flames only when swung violently (thus activated by some physical component) then i think its very reasonable.

I cant imagine that they would make something like enchant able weapons and not allow combat guilds like barbs to use them. I however hope it harms their IF to do so.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Enchanting News? 05/15/2007 11:22 AM CDT
>>No real MR to think of.

Dart had mentioned how he wanted to give NMUs the same magic resistance as barbarians minus the inner fire bonus so it jives more with magic theory. So everything has some magic resistance, but its how that resistance might interfere with the enchantment that has to be considered. If an item is drawing mana from its surroundings, then I don't see how a barb wielding it would affect it. It'd be like a cloud trying to blot out the sun :P

Re: Enchanting News? 05/15/2007 11:30 AM CDT
>>If an item is drawing mana from its surroundings, then I don't see how a barb wielding it would affect it. It'd be like a cloud trying to blot out the sun :P

I'd personally think of it more as a circuit breaker interfering with an electrical current. The mana's trying to channel into the runes, but it has to flow through the Barb's BMR and ends up dissipating.

~Thilan