1 4 6 8 13
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/22/2009 08:25 AM CDT
Can one of the items on the scavenger hunt be Maulem's sense of direction?

-Joshua, player of Malkien
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/22/2009 05:08 PM CDT
Can one of the items on the scavenger hunt be Maulem's sense of direction?

I thought the point of a Scavenger hunt was to be able to find things....IF we go looking for that..well, do we really have that much time available?
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/23/2009 06:01 PM CDT
Well, at least we don't need to wonder where my sense of humor is.

Malkien, Ehon, expect to die of "friendly fire" during the scav hunt. ;)

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/25/2009 08:54 AM CDT
WEEEEEEE!

I cant wait, this should prove interesting...Dodging undead...Dodging Maulem...and what ever else is thrown at us...should make for a good time...when is it again?
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/26/2009 01:36 PM CDT
4/26/09 at 7:00 PM EST
Meeting at Leth's TG, and word was to bring Dokoras as well.
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/26/2009 07:33 PM CDT
Never could get over to Leth. Hope everyone had fun. What was the present? Post a log please?

Also, Belladzia, did you ever get my email?

Marvok
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/27/2009 08:31 AM CDT
Great meeting. Lots of fun (especially the rotten sausages..haha). Looking forward to getting to know you guys better in the future as well as attend many more.

Stacey - player of Savvine
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/27/2009 01:58 PM CDT
It was indeed a good time, I look forward to Trivia or Death!
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/27/2009 02:43 PM CDT
Yes and being as I am no good at trivia it will be interesting to see how many times I die! LOL
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/27/2009 03:00 PM CDT
>>Yes and being as I am no good at trivia it will be interesting to see how many times I die! LOL

I look forward to much death, myself.
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/27/2009 06:34 PM CDT
Was great to see y'all last night there. And espcially great to see some of you for the first time. I know several of us ol' farts like to just blurt out stuff, so please don't let our boisterousness keep you from interjecting your thoughts and opinions on the conversations that go on.

Trivia or Death or You Bet Your Life or what have you promises to be great fun. The thing Bella and I worked up after the meeting promises to be even MORE fun. Muahahah!

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/28/2009 11:06 PM CDT
<<Trivia or Death or You Bet Your Life or what have you promises to be great fun. The thing Bella and I worked up after the meeting promises to be even MORE fun. Muahahah!

Death by Trivia!!!

--Vyraka--
July Kaldar Gathering 07/15/2009 10:33 AM CDT
Hi Guys,

As much as I hate to do this I'm going to have to cancel our July meeting. An IRL crisis has arisen in my life and I'm afraid I'll be away from my computer for much of the rest of the month.

We'll get back on track in August and that meeting will be spectacular!

Thank you for your understanding,
GM Belladzia
Kaldar Champion

"At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities" Jean Houston
Re: July Kaldar Gathering 07/15/2009 10:37 AM CDT
I hope everything is alright! Hopefully I'll be able to bring my little Kaldar bard to the August meeting! :)

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: July Kaldar Gathering 07/15/2009 04:25 PM CDT
Oh dear, Belladzia. Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: July Kaldar Gathering 07/19/2009 11:03 AM CDT
yikes I hope everything is alright, Belladzia...

I look forward to next month's meeting!

--Vyraka--
August Kaldar Gathering 08/20/2009 10:37 AM CDT
Hi Guys,

Just a reminder that we will be meeting in the ampitheater on the 30th of this month at 9:00 PM EST. Vyraka will be hosting a trivia contest (complete with prizes) and afterwards I'll have a very special announcement to make. Should be a lively evening.

No I won't give anyone any hints about the announcement, you'll just have to show up and find out for yourselves. :) Ha!

GM Belladzia
Kaldar Champion

"At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities" Jean Houston
Re: August Kaldar Gathering 08/20/2009 06:19 PM CDT
But...but...you LOVE me! You said so! Won't you give me a teeny hint? ;)

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer of Therengia

Caraamon loudly asks, "Ya still got tasks fer us ta do, Les?"
>
The Barbarian Guildleader Les says, "Kill. Don't care what. Make dead."
Re: August Kaldar Gathering 08/21/2009 05:25 PM CDT
Oh, too bad I won't be able to attend, I work that evening. I know the announcement will be a great thing! (Heck, everything from Belladzia is great!) I would love for someone to log the event and post it here! Thanks in advance.
Re: August Kaldar Gathering 08/22/2009 11:15 AM CDT
Never fear, something about the announcement will be posted after...you know...the anouncement. Actually, look for announcements at every meeting through the end of the year.

GM Belladzia
Kaldar Champion

What used to be plans for Kaldar 02/10/2010 10:32 AM CST
Well I guess that's plenty of time for Belladzia to post if she was still around. So sad to see another Kaldar race-champion poof. About the middle of last year she had a few pow-wows where she's snap up a few Kaldar in game and we talked about what we'd like to see for the race and what plans she had. I want to stress that these were just plans. I don't think she had actually done any coding or even submitted any of these ideas to her superiors. Hopefully she passed on her research to someone.

She wanted to make joinable tribes/clans. 7 of them (far to many to be sustainable IMO). She was particularly open to taking ideas from contests, IG OOC meetings, the general player base, etc for the direction and scope of the project (something I was very excited about). Mechanically tribes wouldn't be anything that gave any sort of advantage, they would just be RP venues (see Elothean houses). I don't really want to post what we suggested because then I'd have to post the dumb suggestions too and I don't want to name name (looking at you Maulem :p).

She made a comment about magic and how to define the philosophy on how Kaldar react to and deal with magic (racial generalization, not character specific stuff). We ended up moving onto another subject instead (tribes). Maybe she had another gathering where they talked more about this. More RP based stuff for the race.

She also seemed keen on either 1) getting more Kaldar themed shops out there or 2) adding Kaldar themed items to existing shops. We talked about what kinds of items we wanted to symbolize Kaldar and I think most of us agreed that ice-silk was a bit fancy for what we all thought of as general Kaldar wear. Other than some yelling about mammoths (FOR PONY!!!, yes this is another good natured jab at Maulem) most of the other suggestions were quite reasonable and spanned the gamut from clothing to weapons. A lot of what has been posted in previous threads about Kaldar wear was brought up.

We also talked about a symbol for the Kaldar (ie not a clenched silver fist since that's Gorbesh). I believe we settled on something like each of the tribes would have a spin on a generic symbol. I think "white ironwood tree on a mountain" was tossed around as the Kaldar equivalent of the silver fist. The various tribes would then mix stuff up, adding or removing parts of the base symbol. Or I'm way off on that; it's been a while.

We talked about racial titles. I nerd-raged. I'm pretty sure I was the lone dissenting voice here. But just like the unpronounceable weapon for the part-time furries, I really really hate all the racial titles for the full-time furries. Titles are semi-ooc and are supposed to convey a meaning/feeling and some random collection of letters fails to do that. Anyway, the good news for all you racial title lovers out there, I was shot down. This is where the contest was supposed to come in.

Anyway I'm going to throw my fellow conspirators under the bus and ask that those others that were part of the meetings post their impressions and recollections.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: What used to be plans for Kaldar 02/10/2010 11:32 AM CST
>Hanryu jumps out of hiding and pushes Maulem off of his mammoth into an oncoming herd of...!

I jes hope we are not starting from scratch, with the next Champion in waiting.

~Wyns
Re: What used to be plans for Kaldar 02/10/2010 12:08 PM CST
I attended at least one of these meetings with a part time alt I was playing at the time, so I'll speak up.

I seem to remember pretty much the same things you mentioned, except I must have missed the one about the Kaldar symbol. If such a thing is going to exist I hope it gets some more discussion first.

As far as the tribes goes, I thought it was a pretty good idea, but 7 is definitely several too many to be realistically supported by the player base. Perhaps 3 or 4 tribes with mechanical support for joining and another few with a basis in lore but no presence in Kermoria.

I don't honestly remember much about the discussions on racial clothing and whatnot, I think mostly because I didn't like a lot of the suggestions at the time. Not a knock against the people who suggested them though.

I think it was suggested each of the tribes would have its own tartan as well, or maybe I'm confusing these meetings with something else in that regard.

I remember the mammoth thing, and while a bit silly, I support it because riding a war mammoth would be great. As long as I can get an Awesomesilk saddle blanket to put on it, that is.

>>We talked about racial titles. I nerd-raged. I'm pretty sure I was the lone dissenting voice here.

I don't think you were, though since I was attending with a newbie made specifically to attend these things I think I tried not to be too vocal (since I had no major Kaldar character at the time, just a love for the race in general). But I'd definitely be more vocal now, down with racial language titles. I'm all for race-specific titles though.

Squire Xalahai Zayasero, Player of
"This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went 'Durp durp.'" - Armifer
Re: What used to be plans for Kaldar 02/10/2010 01:17 PM CST
Thanks for posting Xalahai.

Just in case it was super clearly obvious, my previous post was done to the best of my memory. I could be way off on any or everything I posted, so I hope everyone treats it as what it is*.

~Hunter Hanryu
*ravings of mad man, fyi
Re: What used to be plans for Kaldar 02/11/2010 05:45 AM CST
I started my Kaldar right after they were first introduced, and I always looked at them with a kind of Nordic eye myself, even with a basic idea using the Renshai from the books as kind of an idea of what his culture was like.
Re: What used to be plans for Kaldar 02/11/2010 05:51 AM CST
Ubersilk?

-Kurako
Re: What used to be plans for Kaldar 02/11/2010 05:57 AM CST
No, no. Ubersilk is clearly a Dwarf thing. Awesomesilk belongs to the Kaldar.

>
The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
Kaldars and magic? 02/15/2010 10:08 AM CST
So I have a question about Kaldars and magic. I'm thinking of rolling up a Kaldar Warrior Mage and this made me stop:

<<Within the Kaldar society the path of magic is frowned upon since, to their minds, it is better to go the path the gods intended for their naturally tall, strong peoples.

from the race descriptions on the website. So would a Warrior Mage still be frowned upon. I am still using my physical abilities...
Re: Kaldars and magic? 02/15/2010 10:50 AM CST
Magic is magic. Warrior Mages rely on magic a great deal to augment their abilities. If your character comes from a super traditionalist background I can definitely see their family taking issue with it.

That said, most PCs are probably a generation removed from having parents that actually lived in Albaria. I imagine there aren't many traditionalists hanging around anymore and that most Kaldar have integrated into Kermorian society, which is hunkie-dorey with magic.

Rev. Reene

(12:39:01 PM) Kougen: Also, what the hell is with you and biting people?
Re: Kaldars and magic? 02/15/2010 11:43 AM CST
Frankly this is something that's always sort of confused me and seemed a little bit dubious. I've only ever seen it mentioned in that blurb on the website. If it is indeed intended to be a reasonably major facet of the race in general, some explanation of why that would be, within the context of what magic is in Elanthia, would be nice.

Preferably in the form of a book that addresses the overall take on magic in the Gorbesh and Kaldar cultures. Hint hint.

Sir Xalahai Zayasero, Player of
"This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went 'Durp durp.'" - Armifer
Re: Kaldars and magic? 02/15/2010 05:32 PM CST
The total number of Kaldaran Warrior Mages is probably fairly low due to the attribute hits in WIS and INT. After many many years I still have no regrets playing one.

~Wyns
Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Albaria 03/02/2010 07:05 PM CST
What the title says. I need a Kaldar who roleplays immersively. The more 'traditional' the better - the plot, basically, revolves around going to Albaria (I know this is not mechanically possible, but eh - we can just RP the relationship between our characters) and retrieving a snowflake. My character needs a guide, basically, because he doesn't know how to get there.

The snowflake is for a Kaldar woman who has asked for one in order to win her hand in marriage.

Dermott, player of.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 12:24 AM CST
Sounds interesting, shoot me an email at my play.net addy or IM at craetosdr. We'll see if we can set something up.

Oderint Dum Metuant
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 08:57 AM CST
I say just RP out cheating on the quest. A snowflake is a snowflake, just TELL her it's from Albaria. She isn't going to be able to call the bluff with any sort of definitive proof. Also, curiosity begs me to ask, how do you plan on preserving a single snowflake so that it doesn't melt?

-Kurako
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 09:28 AM CST
> Also, curiosity begs me to ask, how do you plan on preserving a single snowflake so that it doesn't melt?

There's a ranger beseech that "freezes" stuff, also a warmage cantrip. That said he's "trekking to alabraia" (through the Dark Hand), so if you make that leap, holding onto a snowflake is child's play.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 09:33 AM CST
>Also, curiosity begs me to ask, how do you plan on preserving a single snowflake so that it doesn't melt?

Ulonchai bucket?
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 01:17 PM CST
Is he actually going to RP/handwave the travel to Albaria? or would this just be some kind of ongoing quest for the character's story?

I don't really see why an ongoing character story would require active search for a partner, though.

I think it would do well as an ongoing personal quest. Not many people have those and it's hard to come up with one of those for one's char and not be completely cliche.
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 01:28 PM CST
>There's a ranger beseech that "freezes" stuff, also a warmage cantrip. That said he's "trekking to alabraia" (through the Dark Hand), so if you make that leap, holding onto a snowflake is child's play.

Wasn't really after the mechanics... was after the RP of how you manage it. And what makes a snowflake from Kermoria different from Albaria.

I mean, it'd have to be a pretty big snowflake not to lose it, even if you managed to preserve it. Why am I thinking about this logically?

I think the girl just doesn't want him to marry her!

-Kurako
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 01:36 PM CST
That sort of reminded me of that episode of Big Bang Theory where Leonard brings Penny a snowflake from the north pole preserved in what was essentially clear acrylic somethingorother.

But we don't have that stuff in Elanthia so I'm not sure how you'd go about that either. Unless you're waving your hand and saying MAGIC.

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "She has many talents."
>
Kssarh says, "Some of which can be discussed in public."
Re: Needed: Kaldar, preferably female (but male will be okay too) 'guide' to Alb 03/03/2010 01:39 PM CST
Ulonchai buckets freeze water, it doesn't sound far-fetched that they would preserve snow.
1 4 6 8 13