Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 07:39 AM CST
>>I've renamed the page on the wiki 1) to be more accurate and 2) because Karavan annoyed the hell out of me :p

I only put Kaldar Karavan because someone posted it here and so I thought that was the actual name of the merchant :(

~Thilan
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 11:53 AM CST
<<why would gnomes and Kaldars (and I am not talking about you all that play Gorbesh) want to have an items symbolizing those who they left and traveled to another continent to get away from?

Not everything is Empire specific - like I remember seeing either a sochi or pack with a depiction of the Gnomes and Kaldar coming to Kermoria.

The majority of the items are God items - which again - is not Empire specific.

<<I've renamed the page on the wiki 1) to be more accurate and 2) because Karavan annoyed the hell out of me :p

Thank you!

And again - kudos on all the work put into the merchant!

Oddly enough I had been looking for a pair of indigo pants for one of my girls...and <snap> there they were. Were you reading my mind?

--Vyraka--
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 01:04 PM CST
There is a circle limit on getting into the Kaldar/Gnome caravan. I believe it's 5th circle...but I could be wrong. Also, high level (over 75th circle) traders can get in.

Mellicent
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 01:27 PM CST
First of all, thanks Hanryu for renaming the shop correctly, Karavan bugged the crap out of me too.

As far as the clenched fist in terms of Kaldar/Gnomes, Marvok's right that many Kaldar and Gnomes still consider themselves part of the Empire, for many the exodus wasn't so much to get away from the Empire so much as a religious pilgrimage to see Lanival's birthplace, who some Kaldar and Gnomish scholars believe is Xin'Alaudus reborn (Although this isn't an idea Jerecis shares, why would our God-Emperor be reborn in a soft place like Kermoria?). However as much as I love all the Gorbesh advancement in terms of pantheon/items I believe that the Kaldar themselves need quite a bit of fleshing out in terms of culture/symbols/the last 400 years of Kaldar historu, seeing as most of what we call Kaldar culture is taken directly from the Gorbesh. Hopefully over the next few meetings we can hammer some specifics as to things like that, the Kaldar are lagging far behind the Gorbesh at this point in terms of in-game lore and I'd love to see a little more balance.

That said.... more Misiumos items!!! heh

Jerecis S'Onser'ei, Fist of the Empire
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 01:35 PM CST
Maulem, I'm just glad you were able to get the sheath. If anyone else wants it, let me know otherwise it is likely to be vaulted.

I really dislike selling things, and have never been able to get a trader to sponsor my vaults for me. I have a standing offer of 50% of the proceeds to anyone who wants to do it.

Also, I enjoyed the RP with you Hanryu. Know that I plan to work on you and follow through with my promises. I just want you to know that while my character was definately irritated with you, I enjoyed it.
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 02:01 PM CST
>Also, I enjoyed the RP with you Hanryu. Know that I plan to work on you and follow through with my promises. I just want you to know that while my character was definately irritated with you, I enjoyed it.

Oh yea, likewise. I'm just glad I remembered to use my PIRPs!

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 02:27 PM CST
> However as much as I love all the Gorbesh advancement in terms of pantheon/items I believe that the Kaldar themselves need quite a bit of fleshing out in terms of culture/symbols/the last 400 years of Kaldar historu, seeing as most of what we call Kaldar culture is taken directly from the Gorbesh. Hopefully over the next few meetings we can hammer some specifics as to things like that, the Kaldar are lagging far behind the Gorbesh at this point in terms of in-game lore and I'd love to see a little more balance.

I couldn't agree more. I'm glad we're getting more Gorbesh stuff, but man I wish I had more to work with when developing the Ves'Shomis line and in particular Hanryu's objections to Gorbesh culture/ideology and the psuedo worship thereof.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 03:09 PM CST
At risk of sounding a tad dense, but what is a sochi?

Cormar Kildan

aka Rich
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 03:42 PM CST
It seems to be best described as a sort of cloak. I can't get in game right now, for the actual description. They seem to range from extravagant, with gems and adornments, to fairly simple garments. Most seem to have pullable hoods.
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 03:44 PM CST
Hey Hanryu you leave my pseudo-worship of Misiumos out of this! After all, Dart did say at this past meeting that they've got the go ahead to start making the Albarian pantheon more official. And while I understand Hanryu's IG objections to worshiping the Ten, and your OOG objections to it being pseudo-worship I don't think there's much of an IC line to saying it's pseudo-worship simply because the game mechanics don't support it. After all the Rakash/Prydaen pantheon weren't recognized by mechanics until very recently and people (outside of Thirteen zealots and fanatics) didn't refer to them IG as 'fake' gods. I'm hoping soon enough that I'll be able to trek into the mountains and pick me up a Misiumos favor orb and this all becomes moot in terms of gameplay and we can make it about the philosophical differences between the two pantheons that, because of the updated favor system, are more or less on an even par.

Cormar- 'Sochi' is a direct translation of 'cloak' in Gorbesh. In this context it's a rectangular shaped cloak with an overcape that can be pulled into a hood.
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 04:13 PM CST
The wiki has descriptions for each of the sochi cloaks from the merchant. They all follow the same general design.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Albarian_Imports

= Father Aristron Karanea =
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/29/2008 05:31 PM CST
Thanks All.

I obviously need to hunt more and socialize less! Some of these items look fantastic.

Cormar Kildan

aka Rich
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/30/2008 05:38 AM CST
I think you misunderstood what I meant by my statement. When I say "pseudo-worship" I'm referring to all the Gorbesh this Gorbesh that. A great many seems to be obsessed with being Gorbesh or flaunting their Gorbesh heritage or worshiping non-13 gods, etc. While this is a fine RP stance to take, I am bothered by the number of characters that run around wishing to emulate/associate with a group of genocidal maniacs that walked all over the 5 (3? at the time) provinces. Maybe it's just because there's so little Kaldaran culture and items out there and so much more Gorbesh stuff.

This of course does not just apply to PC kaldar wanting to be gorbesh, as is evidenced by the PC outcasts.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/30/2008 07:35 AM CST
From the Gorbesh Dictionary...

cloak = sochi

~Maulem, Death Dealer in training
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/30/2008 08:04 AM CST
Yeah I guess I did get the wrong idea about your post before Hanryu, thanks for clearing it up. I'm definately in agreement that the Kaldar do need more independent development outside of base Gorbesh culture. While I'm all for total Albarian co-operation between Kaldar/Gorbesh/Gnome, and Jere still holds the stance that the Kaldar and Gorbesh should still be close in Kermoria, I wish there were a few more that would take an anti Gorbesh stance such as you have, can make for some very decent RP, especially since animosity like that could really build over time with no release because of Seivox's decree.

Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/30/2008 09:40 AM CST
>I wish there were a few more that would take an anti Gorbesh stance such as you have

Han's such a nice guy that he really needed something to get pissed about. This works based on both the history I've written for him and experiences with invading forces and some of the more serious anti-gorbesh sentiment he experienced back in the day. It must have been in my first 3 to 6 months of playing I ran into several characters that held grudges against Han for no other reason than he was Kaldar and he reminded them of the folks that slaughtered them while they were defending their homes etc in the second Gorbesh War. The impression for me was "woa there's depth to this game" and the impression for Han was "woa, Gorbesh sure are some misguided killers."

~Hunter Hanryu
Kaldar merchant bag size 12/30/2008 09:44 AM CST
Hey not sure if it's intentional or not, so didn't want to start posting in bugs, but I picked up one of the Sraxaec haversacks from the caravan for an alt of mine and it seems to be quite on the small side. Holding nothing other than 4 goblin boxes I can't fit anything else in there, other than a few random gems and arrows. If they're meant to be small that's fine, I can always grab another catapault basket from my vault, I just wanted to see if they're supposed to be standard haversack size. I'll test oout some more of the packs in a bit, this one just jumped out at me.

Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/30/2008 02:21 PM CST
>>un around wishing to emulate/associate with a group of genocidal maniacs that walked all over the 5 (3? at the time) provinces

There are plenty of people who are comfortable with race-based slavers (Dwarves and S'kra) or the race-to-race genocidal maniacs (S'kra, Dwarves, Elves, Humans are races that all collectively declared war on another collective race).

And, beside, the Gorbesh won that war. So they're no genocidal maniacs. They're victors. Duh.
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/31/2008 05:27 AM CST
Thanks Hanryu, My main character is the same way, which was why I was asking about the emblems on a lot of the stuff there, because of his history and back story, the Gorbesh empire is not high on his lists.
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/31/2008 07:12 PM CST
<< number of characters that run around wishing to emulate/associate with a group of genocidal maniacs that walked all over the 5 (3? at the time) provinces.

Um - genocidal - excuse me? You are so wrong there.

And honestly - it's New Years and I don't have time to go into a debate over this.

But no - no - and no.

I realize that there are a few PCs have roleplayed themselves as Gorbesh supremists. And out of those - there are even fewer that I wonder at times fashion themselves as Gorbesh Neo-Nazis. (Which I loathe).

I hestitate to refer to Real Life Wars and cultures and the reasons behind wars because it opens a can of worms on Real Life Historical debates that really don't belong here.

Gorbesh = Power hungry war mongers - Yes.

Gorbesh = Genocidal Maniacs - No.

War is War. I don't recall hordes of Elves and Humans being shipped off to concentration camps to be massacred. I just remember the Gorbesh having some ridiculous fascination with a Bardess named Wren.

Hanryu, I do understand where you might get this impression, and I realized that it is your opinion. But -
I take great exception to being said that I am emulating a Genocidal Maniac.

< It must have been in my first 3 to 6 months of playing I ran into several characters that held grudges against Han for no other reason than he was Kaldar and he reminded them of the folks that slaughtered them while they were defending their homes etc in the second Gorbesh War.

I remember playing Ciles as Gorbesh shortly after Kaldar were released. I remember being ostracised by people, Kaldar alike, who didn't want anything to do with anyone Gorbesh because they believed that they were all genocidal maniacs - the same sentiment that you are resonating right now.

I believe being Kaldar was FAR more welcoming when Kaldars were released than being Gorbesh.

And yes - as always - I always believe we need more material for the Kaldar. I've been working on a few things myself.

Anyway - 4 hours to New Years - I have to go!

Ciao!

--Vyraka--
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 12/31/2008 08:15 PM CST
Wel, swince we are going off topic I figured I would add my own two coppers in. I play ehon more as a second generation (while I am third Generation, my parents both were second gens, which going from there experiences, I am able to work a few things out) The situation with Ehon is he was not raised with any sort of 'history' his Father Was Kaldar, and his Mother Elven. He has struggled to find tidbits of history, but he does not wish to just tie someone down and make them teach him their history. In a way he is making his own history, he is adapting Albarian customs and and the Pantheon to his life here in Kremoria, and his culture is becoming a mix of them both. In all honesty he doesnt know any better, and while he is trying to learn what he can, he knows only half of what he should know, and the other half he just doesnt know much about what he is talking about. He does feel deeply that the Kermorian gods are shadows and are not real, since he has actively saught out Meraud and he has not shown his existance, and has since turn his back on them, if only to gain favors so he will not walk. But in the end he does not hate the gorbesh, nor does he like them, they are just Gorbesh to him, just like if they were halfling or elven. At this point, while he does wish to learn about the Gorbesh and the Kaldar, he is making his own Culture with this wife and with what ever children he may have, he can only continue on as best he can.
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 01/01/2009 07:58 AM CST
>Gorbesh = Genocidal Maniacs - No.

I wonder what the Luethrans and the Shaerek would have to say about that, but sadly their species were wiped of the face of the planet... by the Gorbesh.

One-liners aside, I'm not saying that those PC Kaldar that like to pretend they're Gorbesh are genocidal maniacs. I am saying that I find it strange that, given the option, one would want their PC to emulate/idealize/claim kinship/etc/whatever the Gorbesh. I'm also not saying everything sunshine and roses in Kaldar-land, but at least they tried to distance themselves from their "lets kill everybody" cousins about half a millennium ago.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 01/01/2009 08:33 AM CST
Well as far as Jere's RP I've always played him as born and raised Gorbesh, he never made a decision to emulate one culture or another, it's simply what he is. I myself made the decision for a couple reasons; one because there was very little Kaldar background or lore, it was more feasable to build a story of a character around him being Gorbesh, and two, I enjoyed the early conflicts of those that held grudges against me simply for that fact, even though he's generally a very genial Gorbesh, and once or twice succesfully convinced people that we really weren't all that bad. I still get a few people that want to kill him once he mentions he's Gorbesh, but they're few and far between and besides, if I wasn't willing to take my lumps because of an RP choice then I probably shouldn't have made it in the first place.

The Kaldar seperated from the Empire (partially at least, they still consider themselves part of the Empire) becuase of differences in lifestyle, not because of any wars the Empire had fought. The Luethra? Yes the Gorbesh did pretty much wipe them off the face of Elanthia, but quite a few IG races would have done that to others in the past had they been able. The Shaerek however are not something that the Gorbesh can claim to have exterminated, they simply disappeared during the Gorbesh's efforts to invade their mountain. And keep in mind we're talking thousands of years since the Luethran wars, back when all Kaldar were Gorbesh, so quite frankly, the only genocide that ever took place with the Gorbesh the Kaldar were full partners. That said, I understand Hanryu's IC stance and I completely support it, non-conflict RP is only so fun for so long. But as far as history, we don't make genocide a habit.

Re: Kaldar and Gnome Merchant 01/01/2009 08:42 AM CST
>>I am saying that I find it strange that, given the option, one would want their PC to emulate/idealize/claim kinship/etc/whatever the Gorbesh.

I often wonder why people root for the Yankees too.

~Thilan
FYI, Kaldaran merchant moved 01/02/2009 12:21 AM CST
FYI, Lady Unorina moved her caravans to Lang, a bit northish from Waldroth's Landing. Hooray!

~Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: FYI, Kaldaran merchant moved 01/02/2009 11:54 PM CST
Have any more rooms been added to Unorina's caravan? I'm hoping to see some weapons.

Mellicent
Re: FYI, Kaldaran merchant moved 01/03/2009 08:41 AM CST
Not that I've seen, Melli, but I haven't stopped in there since right after she set up in Lang.

~Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Kaldar Seeks his family history 03/19/2009 08:38 PM CDT
I am posting this in both the Elven folder and the Kaldar folder, but Ehon is at a point where he is wondering about his family, He is not sure if he is Kaldar or Gorbesh, and his father did not tell him anything really about his family history, and his Elven Mother was run off by his father after a large blowout between the two of them. With his Father dead he doesnt have many answers to his past, only questions, and if anyone would like to participate, they are more than welcome. If you would like, I am currently in Aesry.
Re: Kaldar Seeks his family history 03/20/2009 06:32 AM CDT
Ehon,
I've had a couple thoughts recently that may interest you. IM me at sgordonccd

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Kaldar Seeks his family history 03/22/2009 11:00 PM CDT
Posted in both Elf and Kaldar folders.

Ok, now that we have finished the discussion of a Game vs. real life applications of Darwinism. I would like to state again, I am looking for a few who would like to join in on this, I will be posting probably in the next day or so on the Qi Events Folder about a few things, but here is the basic run down, Mom and Dad got into a big ole spat when he was younger, say around age 5-6, she left, she Was/is an Elven cleric. He was a Kaldar/Gorbesh Bard. Again, the History of his father is unknown, as I stated he was quite tight lipped about it all. He could have been born from the coupling of the Elf and Kaldar, or a Kaldar/Kaldar pairing and she showed up into the story. There are many different ways we can go on this. Dad could have been a Gorbesh Deserter, part of the Gorbesh army and decided rather than returning to Albaria he stayed, or he could have been a Kaldar and came through in the Exodus. I have no preconceptions on this whole situation, it is as fluid as water. What I am really looking forward to is more a development of my Character and perhaps some new people to RP with.

if you would like to contact me my AIM is Warmage Ehon.
Re: Kaldar Seeks his family history 03/28/2009 10:45 AM CDT
I'll roleplay with you, Ehon. ;-)

My schedule has been very touch and go though lately.

--Vyraka--
Re: Kaldar Seeks his family history 03/28/2009 02:35 PM CDT
Well, I headed down to shard/Hib for whats going on now, who knows, maybe something will happen can RP out along with what ever battles there will be with the Undead...Either way I think it is going to be a good time!
A Kaldaran Battle prayer 03/31/2009 06:37 AM CDT
He who was before me, hears me!
And He before him, looks down on me with pride!
And lo, all of my Forebears, back to the Beginning
will sing my praises this day!
For I, am Kaldaran! My victory, my glory will NOT be denied me!
To war!
To ruin!
To heroes' graves!

(ok yeah, so I like the movie 13th Warrior, and had watched it for the umpteenth time before writing that.)

Kaldar Gathering 04/16/2009 01:59 PM CDT
Greetings and Salutations,

First let me apologize for my recent absence, I've taken on additional responsibilities and that left me spread a bit thin last month. I think I'm all settled in now and should have the time to devote to the Kaldar that I did before.

That said I'm afraid the meetings as scheduled for the third Sunday of every month are out since that day is now taken up by something else that I can't change.

Never fear though, I've posted a new meeting for us on the calendar for 4/26/09 at 7:00 PM EST. During that meeting we can discuss if we'd like to keep it at the last Sunday of the month or move it to the second Sunday of the month.

On this month's agenda is a scavenger hunt (bring a few dokora and come outfitted to kill stuff) as well as discussion of new items, new ideas and a homeland for us.

I have a number of projects for the Kaldar in the works and hopefully a few of those will see fruition over the coming months.

As always there will be a gift for those that attend, prizes for the hunt as well as specialty food and drink you'll only be able to find at these meetings.

GameMaster Belladzia

"At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities" Jean Houston
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/16/2009 03:52 PM CDT
I won't be able to attend, or will be very late. I won't be home until at least 7:30, frequently later. Gotta put the kids to bed too. 9 PM was great while it lasted.

I'll move over to that area, maybe I can catch the tail end of the meeting.

Marvok
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/16/2009 06:38 PM CDT
Good to see you're still alive, Bella. Had me worried that my "future wife" had gone MIA before I had even officially proposed! ;)

Hopefully our scav hunt won't interrupt/get interrupted by the undead stuff happening in Forf.

Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/16/2009 06:42 PM CDT
hopefully there will be lots of mischief and mayhem, could sure use a good time since I am all but useless against this undead horde :sigh:

on another note, we could have like a 40 year old orphan cry and whine, I think that would be amusing.
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/19/2009 01:09 AM CDT
Where do these meetings take place?
Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/19/2009 09:51 AM CDT
Usually she opens the portals for these. That may or may not be an option this time since, when she first told us of this "scavenger hunt" it was to take place in the shard gorbesh fort, and we were gonna need to find our own means of transportation.

Re: Kaldar Gathering 04/21/2009 03:04 PM CDT
Wheeee! I'll be back in country and able to attend.

Mellicent