Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 10:55 AM CST
Is there anything other then an evil necromancer?

""A reflection on a pool of water does not reveal its depth."
Do, or do not, there is no try." -Yoda
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 11:57 AM CST
I'd imagine that depends on who you're asking.

Is that the end rushing towards me, or is that the floor?
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 12:28 PM CST
That depends on whether you consider sociopathic murderers evil or just confused.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 12:47 PM CST
I imagine it depends on your definition of evil.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 01:55 PM CST
"Is there anything other then an evil necromancer?"

In a world like Elanthia where good and evil are more defiantly defined by the existence of gods who embody those ideas...for the most part, no.

Except maybe a redeemed. Who don't train their thanatology.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 02:09 PM CST
>Except maybe a redeemed. Who don't train their thanatology.

While Redeemed may or may not be evil, they are definitely not good.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 02:36 PM CST
Some insiteful answers. Im exploring the idea of grouping the entire RP of any necromancer as evil reguardless of which slice of the pie they wish to serve to others. Where is the argument that any necromancer guild member should not be considered evil?

Yes, there may be lesser evil of the guild when compared with others within the Necro ranks. But, Ive yet to hear a compelling counter-argument (short of me going in and searching for myself these answers Im looking for) that someone belonging to the necromancer guild is not evil.

What Im looking for is a reason why me, or anyone for that matter, should not consider any necroguild member as evil. So far, theres no argument for me, or anyone elce, to reguard the necromancers guild RP as anything short of evil. Lesser evils dont count, cause its still served from the evil pie. Just a smaller serving.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 03:25 PM CST
I think it goes without saying that someone can have noble intentions attained by evil means, and evil intentions attained by noble means.

And I think people should probably think about what they're after and doing or working towards.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 03:28 PM CST
>What Im looking for is a reason why me, or anyone for that matter, should not consider any necroguild member as evil. So far, theres no argument for me, or anyone elce, to reguard the necromancers guild RP as anything short of evil.

No, you pretty much nailed it. All the people trying to work the arguments like "I'm just misunderstood!" or "There's no such thing as Evil guys, a philosopher told me so!" are just making excuses.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 03:34 PM CST
>>I think it goes without saying that someone can have noble intentions attained by evil means, and evil intentions attained by noble means.

This is sort of how it is with my necromancer. What makes playing a necromancer interesting to me is the contrast between the noble goal of defeating death (for oneself and others) and the terrible means by which to reach that goal. Really, if this guild were a more stereotypical version of the necromancer who does evil for its own sake, I'd have no interest in it at all.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 03:39 PM CST
I'm not sure the goal of defeating death is terribly noble, but yeah, it is what makes our guild so interesting. We aren't cackling atop Mordor as we clutch demon forged blood bracelets, we're taking, stealing, learning by any means neccesary, and doing whatever we feel will advance our cause. It's far more ambiguous, and far murkier.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 03:43 PM CST
>>I'm not sure the goal of defeating death is terribly noble

Fair enough, though the important part is that my necromancer THINKS it is, and uses that as a means to twist his ethical safeguards to an extraordinary degree.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 04:06 PM CST
>>We aren't cackling atop Mordor as we clutch demon forged blood bracelets, we're taking, stealing, learning by any means neccesary, and doing whatever we feel will advance our cause. It's far more ambiguous, and far murkier.

This, pretty much. There's not really meant to be any ambiguity on the level of "Is necromancy evil?" Well, yes. Morally, ethically, and spiritually it's as bankrupt as Elanthians get.

But as the Old Man asked, can you build a cathedral out of your sins? Is it possible that when you look at the scales, your life really is worth more than theirs? Is it actually possible that through these self-destructive acts you might rip a piece of divinity out for mankind? Is there an alchemy of the flesh and soul that can turn sin into virtue? The Philosopher is not deluded into thinking his actions are good, he thinks his actions are worth it.

And... well. In the quiet of the night, when your thoughts filter to your own mortality, perhaps the sick comfort of denying it is reason enough without any pretense.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 04:35 PM CST

>>What makes playing a necromancer interesting to me is the contrast between the noble goal of defeating death (for oneself and others) and the terrible means by which to reach that goal.<<

Kudoes BIRDO. While Im not a philosoper, I can see your point. I will have to find the approiate conflicts folder for more debate.

>>Really, if this guild were a more stereotypical version of the necromancer who does evil for its own sake, I'd have no interest in it at all. <<

Perfectly said. I hope there are others with such a mindset reflective in thier RP. It may give you philosopers of the knife an edge.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 05:04 PM CST
Is there an alchemy of the flesh and soul that can turn sin into virtue? The Philosopher is not deluded into thinking his actions are good, he thinks his actions are worth it.

And... well. In the quiet of the night, when your thoughts filter to your own mortality, perhaps the sick comfort of denying it is reason enough without any pretense.
____

A very interesting line of thought. My own Philosopher is a bit of an idealist. He wants to free the races from the tyranny of the Immortals, he fully believes we (or in the very least, most of us) deserve an undying life. When he reaches a point where he must begin working with the civilized races to progress the Work, he fully intends on focusing on those that wont be missed. There is no shortage of murderers or lawless scum in Elanthia, and if their lives will fuel the coming eternal dawn, even better. Even if he fails, he has removed the dangerous from the world, certainly that couldn't be a problem? ;)

Paving the road to damnation with good intentions is a lot of fun, as it turns out.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 05:04 PM CST
>>It may give you philosopers of the knife an edge.

Nice, I hope the pun was intended! Thanks for your post :)
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 05:48 PM CST
Heh, at some level from the RL perspective I think its a good thing that so many people simply can't comprehend or conceive what it really means to be sociopathic or psychopathic and understand the Necromancer mind. They may not be perfect role models in their daily life, but at least it shows the basic definition and sense of "goodness" ingrained within them that they have to brutally seek ways to "justify" their RP with the guild in a manner they can understand.

At the RL level, the people who CAN understand have such imaginative minds, its like being the protagonist in Red Dragon, sometimes you just have to ask yourself, do you simply have such an imaginative mind, such "talent", or are you one of them? Are you that philosophically mature or is there that strange part of you lurking somewhere in that brain that makes you just like them?

RPing is a great way for introspection, not just for your fictional character. You cannot ever (convincingly) RP out what does not exist within you. If you're a convincing jerk IG then at least a part of you IRL is a real jerk. I think the necromancer lore just makes it that much easier to open up these levels of intrigue.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 06:40 PM CST
>>The Philosopher is not deluded into thinking his actions are good, he thinks his actions are worth it.<<

Much akin to The Inquisition's methods. How can anyone believe that torture is good? However, the result justifies the method.

I see the Philosophers as the beginning of a new age. A step away from the dark ages of superstition relying on the divinities to solve problems. I see parallels with history's scientific revolution. Perhaps Xerasyth and Book are Gallileo and Copernicus? The 11 races can be self sufficient without the gods. We just need to figure out how. Masters our own destinies. These are just my delusions, mind you. Use as you will.

"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 10:50 PM CST
>>Much akin to The Inquisition's methods. How can anyone believe that torture is good? However, the result justifies the method.

I think you've missed the point. The Inquisition is claiming that torture is an acceptable means to root out EVIL. Necromancers are deluded into believing EVIL is an acceptable means to accomplish 'something'. What the 'something' is is questionably moral in and of itself.

I suppose an analogy would be punching a bully before they could hurt a classmate, compared to burning the school down because you believe the curriculum could be better taught in in the janitors shed.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 10:54 PM CST
I don't disagree with you. Torture is an acceptable method for rooting out evil. However, the act itself is still evil.

"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/04/2010 11:11 PM CST
It is important in this case to divide social/moral/ethical evil from cosmological evil.

Cosmologically speaking, no, torture is not really that evil. We have gods for it and everything. Socially/morally/ethically speaking, sure, you can call it evil if you like.

The Inquisition and especially the Hounds of Rutilor do not seem to be designed to be particularly sympathetic. But what they (or at least the Inquisition) are doing is definitely cosmologically good.

Rev. Reene

"The time will come when the sun will shine only on free men who know no other master but their reason." - Nicolas de Condorcet
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 07:19 AM CST
>>I don't disagree with you. Torture is an acceptable method for rooting out evil. However, the act itself is still evil

Torture's not an acceptable method for anything. People will say anything under torture including damning themselves for stuff they didn't do just to make it stop.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 08:58 AM CST
>> Torture's not an acceptable method for anything. People will say anything under torture including damning themselves for stuff they didn't do just to make it stop.

Most of the time they'll say what they think the torturers want to hear. Which is why it's so effective for an organization like the Temple - they get the results they want.

Torture doesn't get you any objectively reliable information, of course. But it does force someone to confirm your pre-existing suspicions, which is all the Temple (or any torturer) is really interested in.

That's also one reason why it's so dangerous.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 09:02 AM CST
>>Most of the time they'll say what they think the torturers want to hear. Which is why it's so effective for an organization like the Temple - they get the results they want.

>>Torture doesn't get you any objectively reliable information, of course. But it does force someone to confirm your pre-existing suspicions, which is all the Temple (or any torturer) is really interested in.

Right, so how does this make the Temple any less evil than the necromancers?
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 09:09 AM CST
>>Right, so how does this make the Temple any less evil than the necromancers?

Who says it does? The only difference is that many more factions support the Temple in what they are doing. Necromancers are hardly the only ones viewed as evil, but to everyone else they DO represent world-ending evil.

People will do despicable things if they believe it is for the greater good.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 09:13 AM CST
They said acceptable, not effective.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 09:25 AM CST
>>Who says it does?

Isn't everyone in this thread saying that the Temple is good and Necromancers are evil?

>>People will do despicable things if they believe it is for the greater good.

Which I believe is how the Philosphers feel. Thinking that the Temple is any better than the necromancers while they are practicing stuff like torture is hypocrisy at its finest.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 09:30 AM CST
The way I understand it, torture is not precisely an accurate description of what is gong on. Aldauth helps Khurek sift through the target's mind looking for guilt.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 09:39 AM CST

Ive yet to find anyone to pointly say "No, as a necromancer, you cannot call me or my RP evil. I have, however, heard some good philosopsy attempting (and to some degree) and explaing how the ends justify the means.

What I have found in-game so far, is, that from a non-necro point of view, those opposed to necromany as just as passionate in thier arguments that the necroguild (and all its members) are evil.

I find any and all discussion on why I shouldnt consider the necroguild, and all its members, accordingly evil, something that is helping my non-necro characeter play though.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 10:10 AM CST
>>Isn't everyone in this thread saying that the Temple is good and Necromancers are evil?

Not really. We're saying the Inquisition is god-sanctioned crazy and chock full o' zealotry, and Necromancy is plane-breaking bad. In the DR setting gods = right, necromancy = wrong. Murrula's Flames = Right, Spiteful Rebirth = Wrong. Are we seeing a theme here? The Inquistion may not be shiny noble knights riding around on white horses saving damsels in distress, but at the end of the day no matter what Khurek does, he's still serving Aldauth. I think the big trouble is deciding where on the good-evil spectrum a god that is known as the Lord of Pain falls (i'd put it closer to the evil end personally). But no matter what the gods do, Elanthia is their world, so it's RIGHT. If I removed all the zealotry from my character, he'd probably rebel against that notion too.

>>The way I understand it, torture is not precisely an accurate description of what is gong on. Aldauth helps Khurek sift through the target's mind looking for guilt.

This would be a correct description of the Red Spiral, but i'm pretty sure Khurek physicall tortures them a good bit first. He IS the chosen of the Lord of Pain afterall.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 10:17 AM CST
Why are you all convinced torture is bad? This isn't post-Al-Qaeda Bush Administration or even post-Medieval ages; this is an entirely different time line where there was likely never a unified civil rights movement to ensure equality for all. Child labor laws? Women's Suffrage? Affirmative action? None of these things exist in Elanthia. Torture, as our PC's know it, is just a particularly unpleasant reality, not something to beat your breast about and decry the savagery.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 10:26 AM CST
>>Why are you all convinced torture is bad? This isn't post-Al-Qaeda Bush Administration or even post-Medieval ages; this is an entirely different time line where there was likely never a unified civil rights movement to ensure equality for all. Child labor laws? Women's Suffrage? Affirmative action? None of these things exist in Elanthia. Torture, as our PC's know it, is just a particularly unpleasant reality, not something to beat your breast about and decry the savagery.

I'm pretty sure our characters understand when "bad" things happen to them. Attacked by a monster, toyed with by a necromancer, tortured by the Temple. Exactly how far fetched is it to realize that people "know" when something bad is happening to them? And the world DOES do something about it: We have guards, put up with monster-killing adventurers, look to the Temple to deal with necromancy, etc.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 10:30 AM CST
You misunderstand my point; I'm not suggesting our characters shouldn't know that torture is bad when it happens to them, I'm pointing out that torture is likely socially normal. We grew up watching criminals be placed into stocks and beaten up by guards probably more often then we saw someone fill their hiring quota's with an equal mix of gnomes, togs, and elves.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 10:43 AM CST
>> Torture's not an acceptable method for anything.

Weren't you just in the other thread championing moral relativism?

Regardless, this isn't normal torture - as Mazrian points out, Aldauth goes in there and has a little poke around. If you got to the Red Buzzard Dungeon, you're already guilty anyway.

Rev. Reene

"The time will come when the sun will shine only on free men who know no other master but their reason." - Nicolas de Condorcet
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 10:51 AM CST
>>Weren't you just in the other thread championing moral relativism?

I was pointing out that Good and evil are perspectives and the fact that the Temple uses Torture proves my point.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 11:24 AM CST
>I was pointing out that Good and evil are perspectives and the fact that the Temple uses Torture proves my point.

Even if that were somehow logically coherent, the only people who have perspectives that matter are the Immortals.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 11:41 AM CST
On the scale of Elanthian morality:

More Bad ->
|.....................|......................|
Good...............Evil.............Necromancy

The dark gods are more or less evil. Necromancy is worse than evil.

-pete
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 11:49 AM CST
The dark gods are forces of social and moral evil. They are the embodiments of all of the moral failings of mortals.

The dark gods are also forces of cosmological good. Their existence is unquestionably necessary and, on a long timeline, ultimately beneficial for the plane of abiding and the life living in it.

I am totally serious when I say it is very very important to distinguish these two concepts from each other because they are very much distinct in this setting and it's probably why a lot of people aren't "getting" it.

Rev. Reene

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 11:58 AM CST
Well said, Reene.

Using your terms, necromancers are both morally evil and committing acts of cosmological evil, or worse, a pawn of an entity of cosmological evil.

-pete
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 12:19 PM CST
No doubt this thread is way over my head.

I will point out that the term "cosmological good/evil" certainly seems to be the key point.

Imagine a world in which a single God of GOOD and a single God of EVIL had a proven existance. To enact either one of their wills is inherently Good/Evil.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4