Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 02:31 PM CST
on the other hand - it is necessary for necromancy to exist in order to bring balance to the cosmos.

my necromancer character had a very enlightening conversation with a very knowledgeable cleric who has done some interesting research on the zaulfang stones. in a way, it has provided her with an IC raison-d-etre to continue on the path she has chosen.

Clue - do some research on the person who brought down Dzree.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 02:32 PM CST
>> on the other hand - it is necessary for necromancy to exist in order to bring balance to the cosmos.

If by balance you mean causing it to stop existing sure!

Rev. Reene

"The time will come when the sun will shine only on free men who know no other master but their reason." - Nicolas de Condorcet
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 02:42 PM CST
like i said. do some reasearch into how the stones were created.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 02:44 PM CST
maybe mongoose feathers were involved :x

Rev. Reene

"The time will come when the sun will shine only on free men who know no other master but their reason." - Nicolas de Condorcet
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 02:55 PM CST
My recollection of the story is that is before she became a necromancer, she was quite the sorceress, and that her actions in erecting the Zaulfung stones are what started her slide into necromancy and madness.

-pete
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 03:18 PM CST
What would stop? The Cosmos? Secondly, I havent seen any necro embrace any god on any level yet.(I mean from Necroguild members RP point of veiw). Without me becoming to philosophilous, I agree with you IDONS (the parts I understand anyhow). If there were no evil (gods or anything) and we all lived with only good (gods or anything, no one would have a standard to go by.

What I remain looking for though, is any argument why I should not consider any necromunger (guild-member) as being anything but evil. Is my non-necro character right for pointing the fingers at those within the sorcerry guild and chanting evil-doer? If I am to lower my characters values to the point of where I can classify any necro-member (again, Im speaking about those who choose to follow and join that guild, not the Lyras,) as evil, reguardless if thier RP doesn't reflect that, then am I no less evil?

""A reflection on a pool of water does not reveal its depth."
Do, or do not, there is no try." -Yoda
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 03:21 PM CST
<<am I no less evil>>

Pretty sure one of the big things to understand about necromancers vs. other kinds of evil is most other evil != potentially-world-ending evil.

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 03:22 PM CST
Know doupt. Im just really having fun in stirring the pot.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 03:31 PM CST
>I am totally serious when I say it is very very important to distinguish these two concepts from each other because they are very much distinct in this setting and it's probably why a lot of people aren't "getting" it.

The difference between Good vs. Evil and Order vs. Chaos is lost on most people.

And I don't mean in D&D.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 03:43 PM CST
The stones are just one in a series of continuous mistakes that didn't work out like people thought they would, more evidence that once you make one cosmological error, there's no balanced correction.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 03:54 PM CST
Yeah, people seem to be convinced Necromancers = Dr. Evil, trying to write their names on the moon with a space laser. Not so much.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/05/2010 05:56 PM CST
>>my necromancer character had a very enlightening conversation with a very knowledgeable cleric who has done some interesting research on the zaulfang stones. in a way, it has provided her with an IC raison-d-etre to continue on the path she has chosen.

>>Clue - do some research on the person who brought down Dzree.

I love how people pretend to be 'in the know' about some super secret 'research', as if we all don't have access to the same not-very-big pool of IC lore.

Or wait, was the Cleric a gonif? Because that would explain this line of reasoning.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 08:43 AM CST
A good example of the difference between the Temple torturing people and necromancy is this.

Imagine a brilliant sociopath who tortures and kills people for what he considers the greater good. Now compare that to a blind maniac flailing around in a dark room that contains a button that will detonate all of the nukes on the planet, simultaneously.

Which one is more of a threat to the world?

(Hint: It's not the sociopath)

"By Idon's hairy hangnails!"
~Tsinlee
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 08:56 AM CST
I just have to chime in with this...the whole end of the world thing is just paranoia.

Necromancy has been around for thousands of years so if it was truly as likely to bring the end of things as everyone says, it would have already happened.

There is about as much chance of a moon mage making a gate to a black hole, or a warrior mage burning a whole through the planet with black fire as there is of a necromancer destroying the world by painting pictures on a corpse.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 09:23 AM CST
<<Imagine a brilliant sociopath who tortures and kills people for what he considers the greater good. Now compare that to a blind maniac flailing around in a dark room that contains a button that will detonate all of the nukes on the planet, simultaneously.

I don't think you understand the setting completely. The sociopath is the maniac in the room with the button. I think that's really the point.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 11:53 AM CST
>Yeah, people seem to be convinced Necromancers = Dr. Evil, trying to write their names on the moon with a space laser. Not so much.

So you really can be a good Necromancer?!
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 03:32 PM CST
>>There is about as much chance of a moon mage making a gate to a black hole, or a warrior mage burning a whole through the planet with black fire as there is of a necromancer destroying the world by painting pictures on a corpse. <<

We couldn't RP in a world that had been destroyed by Necromancy, could we?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 03:35 PM CST
>if it was truly as likely to bring the end of things as everyone says, it would have already happened.

We're not talking about chances of intelligent alien contact or the physics phenomenon at the ozone layer used as the underlying theory for the LHC.

We're talking about an extraplanar being who's actively messing with the fabric of our reality/plane and colliding planes that causes natural life on our plane unable to live (exist?) at these locations and IIRC pretty much told us he wants to undo this plane, not to mention the OOC supports that either heavily implies if not outright tells us that its a real cosmological threat.

The growing tears or places of collisions is more like carbon emissions that is rapidly increasing in recent years (Lyras).
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 03:37 PM CST
>We couldn't RP in a world that had been destroyed by Necromancy, could we?

Not to mention if "it happened already" it'd be too late to even do anything about it much less discuss it ICly.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 05:44 PM CST
<<Or wait, was the Cleric a gonif? >>

no. the cleric in question is a hi-level cleric over in plat who has spent much time in the swamps. and a friend.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 11:38 PM CST
Urgh, brainfart.

I was trying to get across Khurek as the sociopath. :P

"By Idon's hairy hangnails!"
~Tsinlee
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 11:45 PM CST
am I alone in feeling the word cosmological is corny and an eyesore?
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/06/2010 11:54 PM CST
>am I alone in feeling the word cosmological is corny and an eyesore?

Hey that's what happens when terms pass into popular usage from physics.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 06:33 PM CST
>The dark gods are forces of social and moral evil. They are the embodiments of all of the moral failings of mortals.

>dark gods are also forces of cosmological good. Their existence is unquestionably necessary and, on a long timeline, ultimately beneficial for the plane of abiding and the life living in it.

This sums up what I love about the DR religious lore. The dark gods are still are still part of the "good" pantheon because they are just negative aspects of elements of life that can also have positive effects.

On the other hand, when you're saying that Necromancers are unquestionably "cosmetologically evil", what do you actually mean by that? Does that mean causing or hastening the end of the world/plane? It's my understanding, (OOC and IC for my Necromancer, but not for my other characters) that this is certainly not the intent of the Philosophers, and OOC it's my understanding that it hasn't been definitively stated either way whether or not their avoidance of Spiritual Necromancy is allowing them to avoid cosmetological evil. I can't find the post that I'm thinking of here, but I remember that the money quote is "Who knows, they might be right..."

On the other other hand, thinking about what you said in the other thread about contacting a demon leads to that demon's plane attempting to merge with yours, changing the laws of nature in both planes, probably killing the inhabitants: it occurs to me that the Philosophers WANT the world to change; could it possibly be a matter of contacting something on the right plane, so that the world changes just enough? Just a thought...
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 06:35 PM CST
> Yeah, people seem to be convinced Necromancers = Dr. Evil, trying to write their names on the moon with a space laser. Not so much.

W R O N G

That wasn't Dr. Evil; that was Chairface Chippendale.

Get it right.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 06:42 PM CST
>> On the other hand, when you're saying that Necromancers are unquestionably "cosmetologically evil", what do you actually mean by that?

Not really just cosmologically, honestly. Cosmologically speaking they are, like it or not, providing cracks in the planar fabric through which a world-ending demon can get through. All paths lead to Lyras.

Morally speaking, well...

The Old Man says, "If the subtext of all this necromancy business is that you know better than everyone else how to order creation, then all I can do is get in the way. Go back and face obliteration yourself; prove you deserve something greater than what you were given. Build a cathedral from your sins, but don't be surprised if it turns out to be another lonely, pointless abattoir."

Rev. Reene

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 06:45 PM CST
>>That wasn't Dr. Evil; that was Chairface Chippendale.
DAMN, I've been served :D

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 07:01 PM CST
>> On the other hand, when you're saying that Necromancers are unquestionably "cosmetologically evil", what do you actually mean by that?

> Not really just cosmologically, honestly. Cosmologically speaking they are, like it or not, providing cracks in the planar fabric through which a world-ending demon can get through. All paths lead to Lyras.

Yeah I love this part of the background/lore here. A Necromancer's intentions may not be so bad--in fact, I think it's hard to make the case that the Great Work, if completed (as I'm envisioning it, anyway) would be a bad thing--but what they are doing is INCREDIBLY dangerous.

I'm seeing the Great Work as somewhat analogous to the Manhattan Project, minus the moral problems inherent with building a weapon, multiplied by the anecdote that some of the scientists were vaguely worried that a nuclear detonation would start a chain reaction in the atmosphere and incinerate the Earth, then multiply that by, lets say 10.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 07:02 PM CST
>>when you're saying that Necromancers are unquestionably "cosmetologically evil", what do you actually mean by that?

Too much rouge. Remember. harlots use rouge. Ladies pinch.

Is that the end rushing towards me, or is that the floor?
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 07:11 PM CST
>Too much rouge. Remember. harlots use rouge. Ladies pinch.

Yeah I knew it was too much to hope for that no one would notice that.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 07:25 PM CST
Heh, I'm sorry. The opening was there, and I had to take it. In an attempt to stymy further derailment...

>>Yeah I love this part of the background/lore here. A Necromancer's intentions may not be so bad--in fact, I think it's hard to make the case that the Great Work, if completed (as I'm envisioning it, anyway) would be a bad thing--but what they are doing is INCREDIBLY dangerous.

In definite agreement here. Their philosophy strikes me as a perverse form of humanitarianism, sometimes. What with every necromancer needing to walk the path themselves. They can learn from each other, but each must grasp their own destiny. This even seems to tie in with necro buffs only working for the caster.

Is that the end rushing towards me, or is that the floor?
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 07:55 PM CST
The difference is, I think, that the Manhattan Project was a sensible, no non-sense, sure to succeed, minimal risk of failure, very reasonable investment for the Allied forces to undertake, whereas to call the Great Work a gamble by comparison is an epic understatement.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 07:58 PM CST
Oppenheimer would've made a decent Redeemed.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 08:05 PM CST
Dr. Strangelove strikes me as what the Redeemed are really like, but I don't really believe in Redemption.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/07/2010 09:23 PM CST
as long as I get to be slim pickins and ride it in.
yeeee haw!
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/08/2010 12:57 PM CST
Mine's a revolutionary.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/08/2010 12:59 PM CST

>>I can't find the post that I'm thinking of here, but I remember that the money quote is "Who knows, they might be right..."<<

I would really love to see that arguement. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

>>it occurs to me that the Philosophers WANT the world to change; could it possibly be a matter of contacting something on the right plane, so that the world changes just enough?<<

What is trying to be contacted and why? Speaking from a non-necro RP point of view, why would anything in our Elanthian world need altered? From a RP stance, if there is truth in that statement, it does not counter the evil Necro sterotype, (Does it?), but it does reinforce it.

Re: Evil Necromancer 02/08/2010 01:13 PM CST
With due credit to the Ink Spots.

I don't want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in my heart
In my heart I have but one desire
And that one is me
No other will do

I've lost all ambition for worldly acclaim
I just want to be the one I love
And with my admission that I feel the same
I'll have reached the goal I'm dreaming of

Believe me!
I don't want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in my heart
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/08/2010 05:05 PM CST
War never changes.
Re: Evil Necromancer 02/09/2010 07:34 AM CST
Fun discussion. I think there is a (are) method(s) by which a necromancer can be played in a manner that is not cackeling evil. Of course, the canvas of the necromancer guild really doesn't allow much role play until you reach a certain level of survivability, so I doubt much good role play will be developed for most players/characters until that stage is reached.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik