Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/07/2011 10:30 PM CST
Will NB still be a SvS spell?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/07/2011 10:47 PM CST
>>Will NB still be a SvS spell?

It will be charm vs. fortitude. Here is a post with the spell contests laid out.

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=4&topic=37&message=5725

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/07/2011 10:48 PM CST
This looks interesting so far. I will admit that I am only getting a bit more serious about hunting on my empath so I can't speak for the higher level hunting.

Regarding Guardian Spirit: If there isn't a way to have two different guardians (kind of like the plethora of random ones we have now), then I certainly prefer option 1. It lets me not have to stick to a construct ladder when hunting. (Although this depends on how/if manipulate continues to function).

The cyclic option would be ok, although I prefer not to have to make the decision on Aesandry Darlaeth vs Guardian just for a bit of a defensive increase.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/07/2011 10:55 PM CST
>>NEW SPELL Compel:
>>Advanced Debilitation. Makes players or creatures leave the room the Empath is in, and prevents them from returning via some means for a while. This will be most effective on creatures, but will still have some utility versus players.

Riftal summons 2.0

_____
I'm not sure what situation Teleport or Moongate are expected to be used, if this is the case. Going to a place you've already been less than a few hours ago isn't very impressive in terms of utility.. -DANFORDS2
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/07/2011 10:55 PM CST
The design logic is thus:

Our default assumption is that combat pets are Cyclic. The only guild that we originally intended to break this pattern is the Necromancers' Risen, which operate on its own, extra body of limitations. In our conversations the potential for Empaths breaking the Cyclic rule came up as well, though if that boon is granted it must come at a stark reduction in power.

Option 1 is simply a broadly nerfed Guardian -- the combat pet "paying for" its loss of the Cyclic disadvantage evenly.

Option 2 is the full defensive value we imagine Guardian Spirits having, the pet "paying for" its loss of the Cyclic disadvantage completely out of its offensive capacity.

Option 3 is the nominal, rules-abiding Guardian Spirit.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/07/2011 11:44 PM CST
I really would prefer option 3, except that having no other cyclic spells allowed while it is active makes me wary of that option. It could be do-able, but I don't really want to change my playing habits.

I'd rather go with Option 1, I guess given the way they are currently stated.

Any word on if we'll still have multiple forms, or will it just be one "empath GS"? Colepexy is still my favorite.

Currently with multiple GS in the room it gets confusing. Might be a good chance to add something like moon mage servants have if we are keeping with the current fae scheme.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/07/2011 11:48 PM CST
>>Any word on if we'll still have multiple forms, or will it just be one "empath GS"? Colepexy is still my favorite.

The GS may have different forms, but they will all function exactly alike.

We'll figure out some way to make them easier to tell apart.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 12:24 AM CST
Also, this wasn't noted in the original post (now corrected) but Blood Staunch is basic utility, Heal is advanced utility, and Regenerate is cyclic esoteric (since Empaths aren't Bards.)

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 12:39 AM CST
>Regenerate is cyclic esoteric (since Empaths aren't Bards.)

Shouldn't this be Cyclic Utility? It's inherently esoteric because it's cyclic, but what type of spell is it?

Also, for GS... I'm not sure which way I'd go. Probably #1 or #3. Definitely not #2.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 01:03 AM CST
I have a question, are there any plans to have Nissa's Binding be blocked by barrier spells?

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 01:05 AM CST
Do you have the <attacker stat> vs <defender stat> for the following suggested spells?

Lethargy:
Basic Debilitation. Agility debuff, Fatigue degeneration.
(Dunno what this is)

Nissa*'*s Binding:
Advanced Debilitation. Area effect unconscious.
(This is Charm vs Fortitude)

Innocence:
Basic Utility. Prevents general engagement, forces engaged enemies to disengage.
(Is this a contest of some sort or is it auto-success?)

**NEW SPELL** Compel:
Advanced Debilitation. Makes players or creatures leave the room the Empath is in, and prevents them from returning via some means for a while. This will be most effective on creatures, but will still have some utility versus players.
(Dunno what this is)

Just trying to plan ahead for if I ever fight any super Empaths :)

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 01:49 AM CST
>>I have a question, are there any plans to have Nissa's Binding be blocked by barrier spells?

It will contest any appropriate anti-magic ability, just like every other disabler spell in the game.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 02:17 AM CST
Cool list by the way, it definitely has a unique feel to it that I'm not picking up from the other lists. Uniqueness for the win!

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 04:13 AM CST
Due to the fact that I'll probably need some time to take in the spell list.. I may shoot off a few questions as they come to mind here.

A few GS questions that were not answered...

1) Will they have the ability to wield different types of weapons? Having them be slice only made them terrible against a significant amount of the high level hunting ladder. This is where I would like to see multiple types of GS come in. A stealthy LE wielding GS, a HE/2HE wielding GS, a blunt wielding GS, an archer GS, a tank focused GS... etc. Perhaps not all of those, but it is a wish list right?

2) I know things will be changing a bit in combat 3.0 .. but the defensive capability of avengers has been awful. I hope they won't be parry focused and have an equal resistance to debilitation spells of the empath who is summoning them. Watching my GS get dropped by a MB from a 25th circle moon mage is somewhat depressing.

>a broadly nerfed Guardian

I'm hoping by broadly nerfed you meant more that it will be the cyclic spell preventing us from casting another one, not that this will be a nerfed version of an already terrible guardian.

>Esoteric utility (option 1)

At face value this appears to be the best option, but at the same time having our only (in lieu of full empathic shock details coming out) offensive option being exponentially more difficult to improve as our TM reaches larger points on the scale is a little scary.

>Innocence/Compel

I'm hoping that these will still be able to be single targeted, the best value they have is shooing away those annoying lower level critters that inhabit the same areas as high level ones.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 06:42 AM CST
NB no longer requires HL and is(can be? is there an option?) area cast? Has the duration been lowered at all or will it be pretty much the same effect it has now?

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 07:59 AM CST
>>1) Will they have the ability to wield different types of weapons?

I can look into this. That may be a possibility for the different kinds of guardian spirit.

>>2)I hope they won't be parry focused

I can certainly see about them having shields

>>have an equal resistance to debilitation spells of the empath who is summoning them

Their power will be based off of the summoning Empath's TM, both offensively and defensively.

>>a broadly nerfed Guardian

I believe this is in reference to the options for the GS I laid out in my original post, specifically option one. That is, since option one is not a cyclic spell, it will be "nerfed" compared to option 3. Fewer bells and whistles and worse both offensively and defensively.

>>I'm hoping that these will still be able to be single targeted, the best value they have is shooing away those annoying lower level critters that inhabit the same areas as high level ones.

Compel will be, which is the spell which holds the former "shoo away" mechanic that used to reside in Innocence. Innocence is meant to completely prevent an Empath from being attacked by non-undead creatures so long as the Empath doesn't take aggressive actions, so it's not really possible to target it from what I am imagining. It's something that works on the Empath more than on some individual creature. Compel is what you want for crowd control.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 08:02 AM CST
>>NB no longer requires HL and is(can be? is there an option?) area cast? Has the duration been lowered at all or will it be pretty much the same effect it has now?

The duration will definitely not be as it is now. It should act like any other normal AoE spell as far as targeting is concerned.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 09:20 AM CST
There will be exactly one type of guardian spirit with one weapon layout. However you can choose the other look flavors, they'll just still act the same.

As I put it to Melete, you can't come to the Empath guild expecting versatile death dealing options. They will be functional and for Empaths who seriously train TM have a higher capability than they can have now, but we made a decision in the past that Constructs are where Empaths get to participate the most in the combat system.

-Z
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 09:27 AM CST
Are cyclic spells held mana spells? If not, what does that term mean?

How will the "esoteric" spells compare to their current versions in casting difficulty? (In other words, will spells like Fountain of Creation be harder to cast?)

Nissa*'*s Binding: I'm curious about why this spell will affect the whole room instead of a specific person. (Most of the time when I cast Nissa's Binding, I don't actually want to sleep everyone in the room, just a specific person who is threatening me.)

Guardian Spirit: I'll weigh in on option 1 vs. option 3 when I know more about how cyclic spells work, but until then, I will say that I don't want option 2 (no offensive capability at all). So far, it looks like Guardian Spirit is our only option for doing damage to PCs (besides abusing Nissa's Binding), and I don't want to give up that option.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 09:37 AM CST
I haven't played an Empath in awhile. Does GS currently train TM when doing damage? Will it in the future?
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 09:42 AM CST
>>Kaelrx: Does GS currently train TM when doing damage?

No. You get regular magic experience when you cast the spell, but the actions of the guardian spirit don't generate any experience.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 10:56 AM CST
Interesting. It's a lot to take in at once, so I'm kinda going to be organizing my thoughts as I go here.

Things I particularly like:

-Reliability out of Fountain of Creation
-The way Adaptive Curing is handled
-No fatigue zap from Raise Power
-Gift of Life actually boosts stamina
-More stat boosters
-Heart Link awesomeness

Things I dislike:

-Lethargy loses defense debuff
-Tranquility losing vs. Willpower defense :( Oh wait, it boosts Discipline though...maybe that's not so bad.

Things that surprised me but don't easily fall into either of the above categories:

-Aesandry Darlaeth remains cyclic
-There's not a whole lot of new effects

Questions I have:

-Heart Link acting like "vigil for vitality" means that vitality flows from whoever has the most at the moment to whoever has the least?
-Tranquility being a SvS barrier is a little confusing since that sort of contest designation won't exist anymore...it protects against anything that's vs. Fortitude?
-Awaken confuses me a little. Being a "battle spell" means that the duration of a self-cast will be much shorter, right? It'll also be quicker to cast on someone else in a pinch though, so that sounds like a wash (as long as it doesn't need a crapload of mana to actually have a chance of success, like it does now). Does "reduces duration on self" still guarantee clearing the unconscious state at maximum power?
-Does Innocence gain an actual duration greater than a few seconds?
-The asinine "but it doesn't work on undead, it makes them mad!" isn't mentioned anywhere (aside from Innocence just not keeping them at bay)...has that died a glorious death?
-Since similar effects won't be allowed to stack, how is Iron Constitution different from Manifest Force? Is it just that it's not weaker on a self-cast? Does it not become worse at reducing damage as the duration progresses or after it fires?
-Does Compel still despawn creatures, or is it just a "leave the room and don't come back" thing?
-What does "Empathy-related flavor" mean for Tranquility? Different messaging based on Empathy ranks or something?

My thoughts on Guardian Spirit:

I'm leaning toward option (2), the purely defensive version. I don't really understand why that one would be based on TM, though, if it isn't going to attack at all. I suppose if I have to choose between an extremely weak (because my TM is lightyears behind) attacker or an extremely easy-to-kill bodyguard, the crappy attacker at least has a small amount of utility, so I should probably choose (1). I'd never use a cyclic summon given the other two cyclics we have to choose from. I have a feeling I'll just end up not picking this spell.

Overall, it looks pretty good I'd say.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 11:16 AM CST
I'm going to separate out my GS post. I actually think we need an entirely different thread for that.

THE GOOD:

Adaptive Curing: +1
Will this be able to cure multiple poisons/diseases or is it exhausted after one curing?

Aesandry Darlaeth: +1
Good improvements.

Vigor: +2
Seems a little niche for most empaths, but I'll take an agility boost. Thanks! This also wipes out my criticism of AGS being a brawling boost instead of agility boost. So it's a +2.

Tranquility: +1
Disc boost is awesome as well!

Awaken: +1
I don't recall this affecting stuns, so it seems like an improvement. I could be wrong.

Mental Focus: +2
Smother me with stat boosters... And a concentration recovery effect? Oh, you shouldn't have.

Iron Constitution: +2
I've been wanting this for so long. Thank you.

Innocence: +1
The undead thing is pretty big.

Compel: +1
I like it, but I'd rather have it despawn critters still. Might cause some critter flow problems in some cases.

Scorecard: +12

THE BAD:

Nissas Binding: -1
Area effect? Do you guys really want to deal with all of the reports because I slept an entire room to kill one person? Make a PM requirement to target one person please. Really really consider this, please.

Sprout: -.01
I'm disappointed you ditched sprout instead of making the boost permanent, but I don't mess with herbs, so whatever.

Acid Spell :-1
It isn't on the list. Acid > Magic?

Multiple Hit TM Spell:-1
I know this is the realm of WM's, however I'd like to see a spell that can hit a target's balance and positioning, multiple times via altering their blood pressure/blood flow (or something). I've been working on TM, but I still have another 300 ranks to backtrain. That's not fun with Paralysis, BOLT and STRA.

Stealth Booster: -.5
This is purely selfish. It gets raised .5 because there's a disc booster added to Tranquility. I had to raise my disc to 90 and remove all armor just to hide/stalk successfully at-level once I hit the 300-400 range (with my stealths about 100 ranks over my combats). I'm sure we can make up some lore of an empath using their magic to hide a village of orphan children from a maurauding force to justify this.

Scorecard: -3.51

QUESTIONS

Lethargy - I did not see 'will remain the same' in the description. What if anything is being tweaked? Whatever effect makes it easier to hit critters is essential to my hunting. I would urge you to leave it untouched.

Mental Focus - Is it castable on others?

Adaptive Curing - Can a powerful cast cure more than one ailment before dispelling?

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 11:18 AM CST
THE UGLY / GUARDIAN SPIRIT:

First I'll explain my position - I'm not speaking for any other empath.

1. My utility of guardian spirits is ENTIRELY for offense in non-construct situations.

2. My defenses are multiple times higher than my offenses. My TM will never, ever, ever catch my evasion.

3. If I were to start a new empath today, and focus on TM in combat, my evasion would still ultimately outpace my TM.

4. For the defensive utility of a GS to be useful to me, they would have to have an extreme defense bonus (not a bit, or somewhat) higher than my TM. They would have to be able to block spells and ranged attacks from players and from multiple opponents during invasions. Anything else, even as I focus on raising TM, will never be of any utility to me.

Option 1: -50
If their OF is only 2/3 of my TM, they are useless to me outside of killing characters and critters that pose no threat to me whatsoever. If I'm rocking 700+ defenses (to go with my 700 target), I really don't need a 450 OF GS.

With their defenses 'a bit' higher than my offense, I could not train in a way that would make them defensively more potent than me, even if I started a new empath today with TM in mind.

Option 2: -100
No offense for a TM based spell... I have nothing constructive to say about this option.

Option 3: -3
I could theoretically live with this model depending on the costs. I still go from 'very excited about GS rewrite despite having to train 400+ ranks of TM' to 'not excited about GS rewrite'.

Option 4: +5

Esoteric utility with OFF and DEF based straight off of TM OR DEF only based on a % of empathy skill capped at 200 ranks, whichever is greater.

1.You're already asking the most dedicated combat empaths to backtrain hundreds of ranks of TM; a task that will not reap the benefits of an at-level GS for years.

2. Even new combat empaths focusing on TM would struggle to keep the GS at-level. A basic utility spell with a rank-for-rank correlation will be tough enough to keep up, even outside of my personal situation.

3. The GS has traditionally been an option for empaths that don't engage in combat at all. As such, there should be some minimal protection afforded to them based on empathy. I think it's wrong to exclude empaths who don't believe in combat. Their GS would only flex defensively.

~ Purehand
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 11:46 AM CST
>>NEW SPELL Compel:
>>Advanced Debilitation. Makes players or creatures leave the room the Empath is in, and prevents them from returning via some means for a while. This will be most effective on creatures, but will still have some utility versus players.

>>>>Riftal summons 2.0 -JENKINSAPDX

Allow me to expound on this. RS = people yanked from safe rooms = QQ. Compel = kicks people out of safe rooms and potentially traps them for (long?) periods of time = QQ

I'll make a wager that this easily abusable spell (which I definitely plan to abuse if it stays as it is) will give GMs tons of headaches and reports to deal with. Honestly, even if this mechanic doesn't work in safe rooms, I foresee endless fun abusing this in a myriad of ways especially since there's no stat contest. Just fair warning.
_____
I'm not sure what situation Teleport or Moongate are expected to be used, if this is the case. Going to a place you've already been less than a few hours ago isn't very impressive in terms of utility.. -DANFORDS2
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 11:53 AM CST
Pretty sure you're reading the no contest bit into that. Also, there's already several abilities that force people out of the room, including the current form of Innocence.

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 12:21 PM CST
>>Pretty sure you're reading the no contest bit into that. -Evran

reread armifer's last post. You're right. I missed that. (debilitation spells are all contested)

Innocence isn't that great, there's a roar that also forces people from the room. It's the preventing them from returning that's the dangerous part. It makes it way better than RS. As the current GM team appears to rightly be moving away from allowing safe rooms, this may be working as intended on second thought. I still plan to abuse this liberally if I can. I see potential here is all. I guess we'll just have to find out since the ability to abuse it depends on a lot of other abilities/environmental conditions.

_____
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 12:33 PM CST
If it is an offensive spell, it will:

1) Contest barriers, skills and/or stats appropriately.
2) Not function in a safe room.

This is regardless of whether it's "nice" ("Please leave my room now.") or "not nice" (a fireball to the face).

-Armifer
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 12:58 PM CST
It's also worth noting that there is already an existing Moon Mage spell that does this (moves people in the room with you into another nearby room) that goes by the name Whole Displacement.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 12:59 PM CST
One thing I don't see on the list is can/can't be cast while shocked...hoping this means they all can? ::crossing fingers::
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 01:20 PM CST
>>Everything Armifer wrote

Well, that ruins 90% of my potential fun. Thanks jerkface! (good call <3)

>>It's also worth noting that there is already an existing Moon Mage spell that does this (moves people in the room with you into another nearby room) that goes by the name Whole Displacement. -DR-RAESH

You don't seem too familiar with that spell.
_____
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 03:01 PM CST
I'm interested in how this new concentration spell will interact with Manipulate, and if it will make the ability viable again. My impression is that this is at least partly a band-aid approach.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 03:19 PM CST
>>You don't seem too familiar with that spell.

Oh? It does exactly what I stated. Does it do it well, or keep them from returning fairly soon? Not really.

>cast XXX
You steeple your fingers together to better channel the spell's energies.
XXX is engulfed in a ripple of light and shadow and vanishes!

(From the other PoV)
Raesh steeples his fingers together and gestures.
A blinding flash of light engulfs you as a gut wrenching sensation wracks your body!
Disoriented, you find yourself transported elsewhere...
SP>l
[Sandstone Ruins, Temple]
Massive gaps in the sandstone walls, torn by creepers in their relentless search for nourishment, allow the elements to inexorably wear at the surroundings. A crumbling archway juts over the southern entrance, leading to the surrounding courtyard. Cracked and buckled under the weight of the collapsed roof, the flooring is barely visible beneath centuries of debris.
Obvious paths: south.

That said, I found a bug with it displaying the wrong room after you move that I'll look into getting fixed, and more importantly this is entirely the wrong forum to continue this conversation. If you want to talk Empath spells, stay here, if you want to talk Moon Mage spells -- they have a forum for that. Me? I'm running before Melete makes sure I need an empath.

-Raesh

PS: Really, that should go for Riftal Summons, any Moon Mage spells or other guild comparisons.

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 04:11 PM CST
>>this is entirely the wrong forum to continue this conversation. If you want to talk Empath spells, stay here, if you want to talk Moon Mage spells -- they have a forum for that. -DR-RAESH

noted =)

_____
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 08:09 PM CST
>>Heart Link acting like "vigil for vitality" means that vitality flows from whoever has the most at the moment to whoever has the least?

Yes, with some limitations. Basically, Empaths won't be able to use this to rip someone's life essence out through that person's nostrils. It's meant to act as a triage spell.

>>Tranquility being a SvS barrier is a little confusing since that sort of contest designation won't exist anymore...it protects against anything that's vs. Fortitude?

Yeah, sorry, it's v. fortitude.

>>Awaken confuses me a little. Being a "battle spell" means that the duration of a self-cast will be much shorter, right?

Yes, it will be shorter but it will something you can cast in the heat of the moment with ease, even in combat, which wouldn't be the case if it was a normal spell.

>>Does "reduces duration on self" still guarantee clearing the unconscious state at maximum power?

No, but it will not expire when it pulses like it does now. Basically, it seems like people tend to be stunned more than they tend to be unconscious. Awaken was only questionably effective on stuns, so it will now at least always help somewhat with stuns, even if it doesn't break the stun.

>>Does Innocence gain an actual duration greater than a few seconds?

Yes. I'm imagining it to be useful during invasions, or rescuing someone who has died in a hunting area that is dangerous for the Empath.

>>The asinine "but it doesn't work on undead, it makes them mad!" isn't mentioned anywhere (aside from Innocence just not keeping them at bay)...has that died a glorious death?

I'm fine with that being finally laid to rest, unless people really, really want to keep it for some reason. Stuff that needs Empathy to work still won't work on undead, however.

>>Since similar effects won't be allowed to stack, how is Iron Constitution different from Manifest Force? Is it just that it's not weaker on a self-cast? Does it not become worse at reducing damage as the duration progresses or after it fires?

It will be like calcified hide. Unless I am mistaken, this means it's not ablative.

>>Does Compel still despawn creatures, or is it just a "leave the room and don't come back" thing?

Despawning is going away. Creatures who are successfully compelled will go away and will not come back, but they will still exist. This will have to work differently on players, to prevent abuse, but we're not prepared to discuss the PvP aspects right now.

>>What does "Empathy-related flavor" mean for Tranquility? Different messaging based on Empathy ranks or something?

That it might have some very minor empathy-related benefits. Whether this is included at all remains to be seen, but it's not the sort of thing you would choose or ignore the spell for.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 08:17 PM CST
>>Lethargy - I did not see 'will remain the same' in the description. What if anything is being tweaked? Whatever effect makes it easier to hit critters is essential to my hunting. I would urge you to leave it untouched.

It should be what it says on the tin. You make a good point though. I'll ask about it. Vigor will be castable on others, though, so if nothing else you can buff yourself or whatever is attacking on your behalf instead of just debuffing the foe.

>>Mental Focus - Is it castable on others?

Yes.

>>Adaptive Curing - Can a powerful cast cure more than one ailment before dispelling?

It will act like a cast of cure disease or flush poison, not both at once, I don't think.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 10:08 PM CST
>>Do you have the <attacker stat> vs <defender stat> for the following suggested spells?

Lethargy will be charm vs. fortitude, Innocence will be charm vs. willpower, and compel will be mind vs. willpower.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 10:24 PM CST
>>One thing I don't see on the list is can/can't be cast while shocked...hoping this means they all can?

Some spells will be harder to cast when shocked, but will still work even when completely insensitive. Some will not work when completely insensitive. We're still hammering out the details as far as that goes.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 10:27 PM CST
>>I'm interested in how this new concentration spell will interact with Manipulate, and if it will make the ability viable again. My impression is that this is at least partly a band-aid approach.

Empaths use their concentration for a number of things, so the idea is for this to take the edge off of that concentration use. I know when playing a lower level Empath, it is possible to totally tank one's concentration and be unable to cast spells, which can lead to death. Some of the more advanced transfer options (IIRC) eat up more concentration as well.

So there are uses other than manipulate. Manipulate is a big one, though. I have some manipulate stuff in the works, which while not a rewrite, will also hopefully make it more useful/usable, so the spell does also sort of go hand in hand with that.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 10:32 PM CST
<<I really hate held mana spells and find them very annoying. Regernerate and AD are not fun spells for me. I hate not being able to use other spells while holding mana for the current one.

In Magic 3.0, cyclic spells are like held mana spells in that they require some mana every pulse, but they will be changing such that you can cast other spells at the same time. Ultimately they will be made more like bard enchantes.

Nikpack
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4