Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 10:40 PM CST
>>>>Lethargy - I did not see 'will remain the same' in the description. What if anything is being tweaked? Whatever effect makes it easier to hit critters is essential to my hunting. I would urge you to leave it untouched.

I checked into this. It will be the same as before, except with the addition of the agility debuff. So it should be better!

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/08/2011 11:00 PM CST
>>In Magic 3.0, cyclic spells are like held mana spells in that they require some mana every pulse, but they will be changing such that you can cast other spells at the same time. Ultimately they will be made more like bard enchantes.

The primary intention of Cyclics was to create the infrastructure to bring Bard spells fully within the magic system, so the similarity to enchantes is not coincidental.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 02:57 AM CST
My two cents - possibly incoherent. Without repeating what has already been stated, I'm incredibly unhappy with the guardian spirit change - any of the three incarnations. I've been training TM hard with the expectation that all my GS leetness will be based in how much TM I have. Now I'm discovering that, taking my current skills into account, I can dance in dobeks, but my GS won't be able to efficiently kill a swains.

That's so disappointing. Right now, my avenger's OF is approximately 120 ranks while my evasion is nearing 300. That's a heck of a gap to make up, and I know I'm not anywhere NEAR the worst situation out there. Essentially, I need to get my TM to around 400 ranks to be able to hunt where I currently hunt with my GS.

Why can't the guardian be a base rank average, with TM boosting if you choose to train it. I guess I don't understand any of the incarnations of the new GS. The guardian is not much of a guardian if it is dying LONG before the empath will die. If this was a warrior mage, it would be a different story where TM is a required skill and guild-centric.

With the current system, due to stopping my focus on circling around 70th circle and focusing on combats, my guardian is already weaker than I am. Now, my guardian has no hope of being anything beneficial to me - defensively or offensively. To base the GS's complete makeup on TM skill, and not even letting it be a 1:1 rank conversion for both OF and DF makes me almost think it's completely not worth having the spell in the spell list.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:03 AM CST
>Why can't the guardian be a base rank average, with TM boosting if you choose to train it... If this was a warrior mage, it would be a different story where TM is a required skill and guild-centric.

Lets distill this down to it's essence.

What you're saying is that you want a way to attack and/or defend that doesn't require a skill to work.

How would you feel if another guild had that option?

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:06 AM CST
Actually a base rank average...would be...an average...of your base ranks. So...shield parry eva averaged together creates the standard combat defense/offense of the avenger, then if you train say 150 ranks of TM, you get...a 50 rank boost, or some such. These numbers are randomly put down, but that's what I was meaning when I said a base rank average. So yeah, you missed the "essence" a tad bit.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:18 AM CST
Aren't empaths magic secondary, and weapons / armor tert? So, with a bit of work, shouldn't you be able to get TM higher than all combats, except evasion? I know backtraining is rough but, complaining about the GS going TM based is useless. The rule has been handed down, ALL combat pets are going TM based.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:26 AM CST
> I know backtraining is rough but, complaining about the GS going TM based is useless. The rule has been handed down, ALL combat pets are going TM based.

I have no problem backtraining. My issue is backtraining and/or training a skill at a 3 ranks earned to 2 ranks gained ratio. I don't believe there is anything comparable in the game currently to compare it to. It's just frustrating, especially for those of us who are primarily combat oriented with our empaths (even before the days of a GS, construct, or TM training spell).
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:37 AM CST
A couple points:

A)
One skill is driving all combats, so I don't see a 1:1 as being fair. If you go up against a person who has worked 4 skills (evasion, parry/shield, armor, weapon) up to 200, with a GS that only needs 1 skill to be equal to 200 is that fair to the other person? That's not even figuring in if the GS has it's on perception level also decided by TM to contest the other persons stealth. 4:1 (or 5:1) would of course just be horribly unfair, but 3:2 I think isn't a bad compromise.

B)
Think of it like this, your GS provides 2/3 of your offensive force in combat, you make up the remaining 1/3 yourself with other abilities / drawing attention from other creatures / non-damaging brawling to throw enemy off balance etc...

DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:49 AM CST
> B)
> Think of it like this, your GS provides 2/3 of your offensive force in combat, you make up the remaining 1/3 yourself with other abilities / drawing attention from other creatures / non-damaging brawling to throw enemy off balance etc...

I understand what you are saying in A and B, and maybe the below scenario will help clarify my position.

I currently am sitting around a 70-75th circle fighting guild's combat level. You could knock me completely unconscious, put every debilitating spell on me possible, and set a 30th circle fighter on me - I would not get touched. At my current circle (80th), my avenger under this new system offensively would be equivalent to a 30-35th circle fighter with ~120 ranks offensively. There is nothing I can do to a dobek that would hinder it enough for my little 35th circle avenger to kill it.

On the flip side, the GS spell was created to provide a guardian for empaths in combat (this was pre-fighting avenger days). Empaths who didn't train combats would be able to travel through a fighting area without getting attacked because their avenger would be able to protect them. Now, if you don't train TM, your avenger is a 1st circle fighter, no matter what. Add to that the fact that we can effectively train TM with BOLT and STRA in construct areas...it becomes even more difficult.

Sidebar - it said in this thread we will learn TM through our avenger. How exactly will that happen when you get up to the 200-300 range of critters? Say my TM is at 300, my avenger will be hitting at 200. At some point, my avenger won't be able to move my TM because the TM rank needed to allow the avenger to hit the critter will be higher than the critter trains TM.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:57 AM CST
I don't think it's going to be that big a deal. I'm currently back training TM in an area where I can also train my main weapon. My main weapon is 364, my TM is 204. That's greater than the 3:2 ratio. My TM is able to harm and kill the creatures. It's not quite as quick my sword, but still plenty fast enough. If I could hit that thing with 2/3 of my 364 sword ranks (which would be more than my current TM) AND do other stuff, I think I'd kill them plenty fast.

As far as the training question.. Well, that's a fair question. Maybe training will be based off effective TM ranks w/ the guardian, not actual ranks?

DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 04:09 AM CST
I can't say too much here being as I don't play an Empath very much. However, I think a major aspect that is being overlooked is the simple fact that Empath's are not a combat guild. The GS would and could protect the Empath (especially in conjunction with other spells and skills at the player's disposal which is what Magic 3.0 is mainly meant for - to use more spells in conjunction.)

It hasn't been specified that the GS will start out as a 1st level fighter, because the GM's wouldn't do that for it would make GS useless. But in fact the GS would protect the Empath while they were to get away or drag away a deader or wounded comrade. And again, used in conjunction with other spells and skills and abilities this would be effective.

Empath's are not a combat guild, if you want to hunt and kill, roll up a Barb or something else.

>>"It's part of the whole unnatural abominations upon Elanthia deal."<<

-Armifer
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 04:14 AM CST
I'm pretty sure the whole "such and such" is not a combat guild is being thrown to the side. Sure they may not be the best at it, but the path is available to anyone. Empath, Moonie, whatever.

DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 04:18 AM CST
> Sure they may not be the best at it, but the path is available to anyone. Empath, Moonie, whatever.

Then again, sometimes even we can kick your butt. :-P
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 04:20 AM CST
Very true. There are empaths to be feared out there. Though I'll fear 'em SLIGHTLY less when NB can be blocked by proper barrier spells :)

DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 05:03 AM CST
I vote option 3 then. I don't use any cyclic spells while hunting, and as someone said, it makes for a good battle choice and forces you into a decision that can have interesting outcomes.

NMUs are not people. -GM Armifer
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 05:43 AM CST
IIRC The 3rd option(cyclic) will be on par with other guild pets, so that incarnation's offense/defense will be roughly on par with your TM skill.

Also, Empaths are Survival and Magic Secondary. There is no reason why an Empath could not keep his/her Targeted Magic on par with Evasion after the change is made. Being as Armor and Weapons are Tertiary, the Guardian Spirit's Offense will actually outpace the Empaths defense theoretically. This is assuming an Empath picks up the Guardian Spirit spell near the beginning of his/her career.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 08:15 AM CST
>>On the flip side, the GS spell was created to provide a guardian for empaths in combat (this was pre-fighting avenger days). Empaths who didn't train combats would be able to travel through a fighting area without getting attacked because their avenger would be able to protect them

I think innocence fills this niche reasonably.

>>Empath's are not a combat guild, if you want to hunt and kill, roll up a Barb or something else.

This is definitely not the message I am trying to send Empaths. Combat is such a large part of the game that I don't think it's really useful to tell any guild that combat participation is not supported for them. However...

I feel that even without the rankless GS, Empaths will have reasonable avenues of participation in combat. Manipulation is a fine way of participating at level versus non-undead and non-constructs. With some of the new spells coming out at the same time as the avenger change, it should be much more useful than before. (Concentration regeneration, more ways to buff and debuff the creatures involved, etc.)

Then there is construct hunting, which provides pretty much equitable access to the treasure system and will only get better.

Finally, yes, the shock rewrite, which will allow Empaths to just shoot someone if they become aggravated enough, without forcing them to lose their abilities forever.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 08:21 AM CST
Why are we glossing over manipulate? I'm not so far advanced that my current avenger can't keep up with me in Gargoyles with killing but manipulate is far easier to pull off and maintain with a far more capable and destructive offensive weapon. Garygoyles are way better against other gargoyles than my avenger is against them.

Even though we are magic secondary is there a way to train TM outside of combat I'm not aware of other than classes? Because if not, we only have the construct ladder to work off of and it's even harder to move up with TM than it is with a regular combat ability. Even the construct ladders we start with have more non-constructs hunting with them than constructs. I use innocence as non-construct crowd control. In light of that, will compel be as easy to pop off on a targeted opponent as innocence is now?

How are we going to maintain a cyclic spell that relies on constant magic casts to train it effectively? I really like my avenger, it's not better than I am at killing constructs, way better at killing non-constructs than I am and not very good at defending. I choose option two if the construct prevents engagement of any type, 100+% defense on all 4 sides. That would be useful.

Syllanthis
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 08:24 AM CST
>>I'm pretty sure the whole "such and such" is not a combat guild is being thrown to the side. Sure they may not be the best at it, but the path is available to anyone. Empath, Moonie, whatever.

Even if it is, I think Empaths are the exception. Else why would there be so many caveats to hunting as an Empath if it was considered a combat guild.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 08:31 AM CST
>Even though we are magic secondary is there a way to train TM outside of combat I'm not aware of other than classes? Because if not, we only have the construct ladder to work off of and it's even harder to move up with TM than it is with a regular combat ability. Even the construct ladders we start with have more non-constructs hunting with them than constructs.

Paralyze can be used on PCs, non-constructs and constructs. Yes, it doesn't last long and has a timer, but under the right circumstances you can keep cycling it. We are not presently limited with TM to the construct hunting ladder and won't be under 3.0.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 08:34 AM CST
I didn't know that. When I prepped and then concentrated I got the messaging that this was a damaging spell and assumed I could only use it on things that don't give me shock when I hurt them.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 08:36 AM CST
At this moment it's the first and only non-damaging TM spell.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 08:41 AM CST
>>Even though we are magic secondary is there a way to train TM outside of combat I'm not aware of other than classes?

Once the changes hit your Guardian Spirit will use and will teach the Targeted Magic skill. Your GS will engage anything that attacks you so you will be training Targeted Magic passively all the while you cast other spells, cyclic or not. You don't even need to follow the construct creature ladder to do this.

>>How are we going to maintain a cyclic spell that relies on constant magic casts to train it effectively?

That's not how cyclic spells work. Roll up a Bard and perform an enchante. This his how cyclic spells will work(if you get a certain magic feat to draw directly from your attunement).

__
~Leilond
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 10:19 AM CST
>I know backtraining is rough but, complaining about the GS going TM based is useless. The rule has been handed down, ALL combat pets are going TM based.

I certainly don't have a problem with it being TM based, but for years we have been discussing other aspects of the GS rewrite.

The most recent stated delay on the GS coding was 'we're waiting to finish the coding on Risen'. Now, none of us were kidding ourselves into thinking we'd get risen, but we were talking a lot about their capabilities. Now we're just being told for the first time that we're not on the risen model at all. We're on a new combat pet model.

They aren't currently thinking of the variability that risen have (equiping them with ranged/shields). All GS will be functionally the same, instead of having different capabilities and specialties as was discussed. Two of the models proposed are essentially offensively inept.

We've all known for a while that there was going to be backtraining invovled in a skill that we have historically only had access to via classes. But you can discount the backtraining headache entirely, and still come out of this with a disappointing outlook on the rewrite given all that has been discussed over the years.

Best case scenario presented thus far is that we end up with a single type (functionally) of GS, cyclic spell with OF/DEF on par with our TM. The only improvement appears to be some increased defensive capabilities that have not been explained, and for which I don't see as much added value for defense-centric empaths.

That's OK, but I can't say I'm as excited about the GS rewrite.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 10:58 AM CST
<<Empath's are not a combat guild>>

That concept is a bunch of hogwash. Empaths are (recently being brought up to the point of being) "bad at offense", but there's no reason for anyone to be "bad at combat".

On a somewhat related note, there is one area in which our spell list strikes me as disappointingly lacking. That is the area of death prevention. I was really hoping that we'd be getting some nice new tools to directly stave off death. Depending on what combat ends up looking like after all is said and done, things like Heart Link might go pretty far in keeping people alive, so there is stuff in there that could probably help. There's nothing in that list that really emphasizes the "barrier between life and death" role that we're explicitly supposed to be able to play, though. It's the sort of thing we're supposed to be "good at" to offset our badness at offense.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 11:11 AM CST
>>There's nothing in that list that really emphasizes the "barrier between life and death" role that we're explicitly supposed to be able to play, though.

You mean... like the myriad of healing spells at the top of the list? :P

Maybe I have a strange opinion, but being able to prolong life through the use of removing damage(healing spells) and negating damage(the spell that acts like Calcified Hide) is a pretty good barrier from death :)

__
~Leilond
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 11:13 AM CST
>>You mean... like the myriad of healing spells at the top of the list? :P

And the magic barrier.
And the damage barrier.
And the vitality regen.
And the reactive poison/disease curing.
And the disabler.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 11:49 AM CST
>>Why would you even bother casting Paralyze with the change?<<

If this works as has been indicated then once the change occurs I'll be OK with that, but currently my TM is lagging behind my other defenses so I cast Paralyze. It's the only method of learning TM I have available at the moment. I think there's going to be a significant difference in empathic combat from NOW, until THEN, whenever THEN happens to occur. Hopefully it's SOON. ;)

NMUs are not people. -GM Armifer
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:01 PM CST
Seeing as the 'Risen model' is a combat pet, I don't really understand the uproar.

Sure it'll have some fancy abilities but functionally speaking.. it's a combat pet.

Empaths aren't a 'non-combat' guild because we got rid of that designation, however the thematic weakness of the guild is still 'dealing damage'.

-Z
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:21 PM CST
> Seeing as the 'Risen model' is a combat pet, I don't really understand the uproar.

The uproar is that we have very limited means of training TM - and the return on that training is now going to be a 3:2 ratio. If you don't think it's limited means, check out the number of critter options I have for training TM at 170ish ranks. Clay mages/soldiers/whatever that other clay thing is. When I get to 200, I can go to rock guardians. Then I'm out to muspar'i for the duration of my TM training.

Unless I use paralysis. Which until recently, would hardly move me because I don't train combats with someone else to kill them off. Paralysis has a diminishing returns because it doesn't actually inflict damage. Enter my solution to TM training in combat without needing the construct ladder: my avenger. I paralyze twice, he's killed the critter. On to the next one. This has been a very efficient manner in locking my TM.

Now...that avenger will be scaled down to the competency of a 30th warmage in a hunting area akin to a 65-70th warmage, thereby debunking the ability to effectively train TM - because said avenger will not be killing it quickly enough - even if I get my TM to 300, it will be hitting with 200 rank skill.

The uproar is due to having an already difficult time training a skill - and then being told it's the dependent skill for a specific spell ability. Backtraining that for a what....about a year? Then being told everything you've been backtraining for is only going to be 67% efficient - because, oh yeah, we made a decision between two factors and decided this gets gimped. It's frustrating.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:25 PM CST
Also, can a name in red please respond to my previous question of TM learning? If the GS will teach TM, but be 2/3rds as competent at killing as my TM skill - there will come a point where the critter will stop teach TM before the avenger has the skill to actually kill it.

This isn't the case before about 300 TM - at 300+, you are looking at a 100+ rank difference between empath's TM skill and GS's OF.

Will the GS's ability to train TM scale according to the GS's ability in the combat area? So for instance, a GS with 140 rank skill in swains will train the empath's TM in swains at 210 ranks (beyond the cap of the critter)?
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:26 PM CST
The ratio is only going to be 3:2 if the cyclic option isn't picked. If you want 1:1 you will have to be willing to forsake Regenerate or Aesandry Darlaeth when you want the GS killing things.

But again, I don't think it should surprise anyone that being a Empath that is capable of slaying the big things is a tad harder.

-Z
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:33 PM CST
> But again, I don't think it should surprise anyone that being a Empath that is capable of slaying the big things is a tad harder.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but wouldn't "harder" be the fact that we can't cast a spamming batch of TM spells to learn TM in any critter area, or that we can't swing a sword to learn weapons, or that we have to depend on something external to us to kill and gain skill in boxes/skinning/stealths (this is dependent on how you train stealths, I know)?

Or maybe it's the fact that in order to learn some of those efficiently, we have a specified construct ladder with no variation in theme?

I don't think "harder" should mean "impossible" at the higher levels. Again - 75th circle "fighter" with a 35th circle avenger means I could be laying down with the critter in my grips, lethargized and/or sleeping, paralyzed, and anything else you want to stack on top...that avenger will be whiffing.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:37 PM CST
I'm not going to continue this conversation until you actually pay attention to the whole post I wrote.

Please take a deep breath, and reread what your options are.

-Z
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:57 PM CST
<<The ratio is only going to be 3:2 if the cyclic option isn't picked.

Just in case you missed it every other time this has been said.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 01:58 PM CST
I think the cyclic option is definitely the best way to go.

~Ceirdwyn
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 02:09 PM CST
I'm thinking that I'll vote for the option 3 as well. I don't want the defense only option at all, and the I'm not crazy about the decreased effectiveness of option 1. The third option seems the fairest choice for me. I'd be willing to give up other spells to have an effective guardian while hunting.

Marssi
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 02:22 PM CST
For sure changing my preference from #1 to #3 now that I have a better understanding of what the cyclic option is and more than willing to give up regen and AD while using GS.

- Illcram

Please rephrase that command.
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 02:22 PM CST
>>I don't think "harder" should mean "impossible" at the higher levels. Again - 75th circle "fighter" with a 35th circle avenger means I could be laying down with the critter in my grips, lethargized and/or sleeping, paralyzed, and anything else you want to stack on top...that avenger will be whiffing.

This is where manipulation will fit in, unless you are fighting a construct (then just attack it yourself) or the undead (here you're just out of luck).

As I said before, many of the spells in the new list are designed with an eye to making manipulated creatures or not-quite-there-yet avengers useful even if they are fighting something on par, or even outclassed by a fair margin.

Melete
Re: Tentative Empath Magic 3.0 Spell List 02/09/2011 03:05 PM CST
> I'm not going to continue this conversation until you actually pay attention to the whole post I wrote.

Sorry Z - I may have gotten confused by red named posts, but I swear there was a post (which I can not find quickly enough right now - and also don't know how you people "search" the forum for the life of me) that stated even the cyclic version won't be a 1:1 comparison of TM to avenger skill, just a better ratio than the 3:2 for option 1 and the #:0 for option 2. Did I mis-read or have a complete lapse of consciousness and dream that (this is entirely plausible)?

I don't use AD or Regen in combat, so I would gladly take the 3rd option over either of the first two. My GS's defenses already are below mine, so I don't use him unless I want to sacrifice him to a massive invading creature to get away. :)