Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
... 05/04/2005 08:15 AM CDT
<Grunts>
Re: ... 05/04/2005 09:39 AM CDT
Oh my, but that was eloquent.

:::ducks:::

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll try harder after coffee.

Isa

Tenderly the night slips her fingers into the spaces between stars, sweet as rain, as tears, as mercy given freely.
For all those sick of "forward this to ten people"... 05/13/2005 10:25 PM CDT
http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~sivann/pub/swf/may02-smilepop-soapbox4.swf

Oh, and we still need to finish planning the bard dinner for Simucon. Location, anyone?

-Vaeldriil

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: For all those sick of "forward this to ten people"... 05/13/2005 10:37 PM CDT
Nice one, Mommy V.

Made me laugh so hard that I scared my cat!

Daerri; the player of,

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
Re: For all those sick of "forward this to ten people"... 05/13/2005 11:57 PM CDT
>>Oh, and we still need to finish planning the bard dinner for Simucon. Location, anyone?

To the best of my knowledge, the last two attempts to do a Melting Pot dinner fell through, so maybe the third time's the charm?

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: For all those sick of "forward this to ten people"... 05/14/2005 12:08 AM CDT
Does that not require a vehicle to get to?

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: For all those sick of "forward this to ten people"... 05/14/2005 04:13 PM CDT
<<Does that not require a vehicle to get to?>>

How's that boat fund coming?

::ducks!::

-Vaeldriil

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: For all those sick of "forward this to ten people"... 05/14/2005 06:31 PM CDT
<<How's that boat fund coming?>>

We can get the lifeboat so far but the oars are on you...

Siltoth

Stealer of Silvy's Hugs
Re: For all those sick of "forward this to ten people"... 05/15/2005 01:17 AM CDT
>>Does that not require a vehicle to get to?

I'll be driving to St. Louis, which means I can fit three others in a car with me. Four, if they're friendly. Five or more if they're REALLY friendly. Might be able to fit more in the trunk, but we'll have to move the bodies first. Anybody good with a shovel?

- Stormsinger Shavay

- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
So a man walks into a bar with a duck on his head... 05/15/2005 09:32 PM CDT
... and says, "Hey everybody, my little brother's back from Iraq! Drinks are on me!"

Sure, he doesn't play DR or anything, and if I ever tried explaining it to him he'd look at me like I'm a total loon, but still. Glad he's out of Baghdad!

- Stormsinger Shavay

- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: So a man walks into a bar with a duck on his head... 05/16/2005 12:20 AM CDT
nice

clap

it's a good feeling having someone close back from the brink. Hope he adjusts from the insanity ok... been in an older one so know what it's like

Me
Re: So a man walks into a bar with a duck on his head... 05/16/2005 01:52 AM CDT
Thats great news, now if we can convince the powers that be to bring them all back

<<Silvergryphon hands Catrox a shot of Darkstone Whiskey.
Catrox looks at Silvergryphon and says, "I'm sorry Silvergryphon, I only work on metal weapons, armor and shields." He hands the Whiskey back.>>

A Dru...er Bard named Wyndsol
Re: So a man walks into a bar with a duck on his head... 05/16/2005 08:49 PM CDT
::applauds!::

Glad he's home safely.

-Vaeldriil

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Post-rafting adventures... 05/30/2005 09:16 PM CDT
Hello! Just walked in the door from my vacation to WV for some white-water action.
The river was up 3.8 feet, making it a bit faster than normal spring time action. I missed the heavy action by about a week or so, from the spring showers they've been having.

Was fantastic! Water was cool, the river might have kicked my butt, hard, but still, I prevailed, without any swimming incidents!!! Did some great rock climbing, 3 different faces, ranging from 5-5, to 5-10's, was difficult, and i definitally need to work some upperbody strength!

We made it back alive!
Long Live the swashbuckler!!!!

~Mibe
The final goodbye... 10/09/2005 07:41 PM CDT
My dearest friends, lovers, and yes even enemies,

I am heading on to greener pastures. I have finally begun to leave these lands. In order to expedite my departure, I have decided to walk the path less chosen in regards to getting rid of the fluffy stuff I have collected over the years. Some items will be given to Melissande as she and I designed them, and all of Bree's wedding times have been passed to her husband (oh wouldn't it be lovely to see Solondar in that wedding gown). When I get a chance to finally get into the Crossing, my items will be up for grabs.

Keep an eye out! I'd hate for you to miss something as old as I am.

-C, the player of Cai, Bree, et al.
Daerlynn... 02/28/2006 11:55 AM CST
... may be absent from the realms a couple of days. Yeah, yeah I know no one will probably notice anyway.. ::ducks:: I am teasing!

Anyway, have a temporary apartment for work during week days, and I just need to get internet connectivity. Maybe I need a break anyway.

Daerlynn
Re: Daerlynn... 03/01/2006 10:17 AM CST
::pokes prods nags and otherwise generally pesters::

Gonna miss ya, hurry back!

Deslah
Re: Daerlynn... 03/04/2006 03:50 PM CST
Yeah, what he said. Hurry back!

~Little Bard
Re: Daerlynn... 03/04/2006 04:29 PM CST
Too right.

Get your tail-less tail back quick.

Daerri; the player of,

"Tired of the eternal efforts to fight our way through raw matter, we chose another way and sought to embrace the infinite. We went inside ourselves and created a new world."
--- Henrik Steffens
Just a question.... 05/19/2006 08:09 PM CDT
Im heading back to the Fla. Keys in june again and taking the kid with me and Im tring to figure out a travel plan. The gas cost alone for the round trip is estimated at 400$ and thats if we dont make any side trips. Plus, I would be driving alone and im not all that comfortable with that.

My question is, has anyone taken Amtrak anywhere, and how was your experience? This seems like my only alternate choice, because I dont like to fly, never did.

Robo
The weather is here....wish you were beautiful.
Re: Just a question.... 05/20/2006 01:34 AM CDT
I've taken Amtrak from Detroit to Chicago a couple times and liked it. It takes on a couple hours but you dont have to worry about anything. Another nice thing is it's pretty cool to be going down the rail checking out all the sites. If your son is into trains even a little bit I'm sure he'd love the ride.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Just a question.... 05/20/2006 01:04 PM CDT
Ive taken the train to Denver and its really nice. You can just sit back and enjoy the ride. Not sure what the scenery would be like there but its bound to be fun. Then you can read and play games and just visit and have a fun time!

~Sasa

~~Maybe instead of saying 'fog' everyone can say, "I suffered a small stroke, did anyone else?" Rayje
Re: Just a question.... 05/20/2006 01:27 PM CDT
Heyo!

My father worked for the railroad for most of my life. One of the "perks" of working for the local railroad back in the old days was that family members were able to ride the passenger trains for free a certain number of times a year between Denver and Salt Lake City. During my wild and carefree High School years, I took full advantage of this little feature.

I loved travelling by train. Granted, I liked it far better before Amtrak took over, but there was nothing wrong with Amtrak, per se. More just a decline in the industry altother. You'll never beat airlines for speed, nor will you beat driving for freedom. You certainly aren't going to beat Greyhound for cheapness. So where does Amtrak fit in?

Comfort and experience, mostly. I never felt as crowded or cramped on the train as I do on an airplane, or, heaven forbid, the even more cramped Greyhound. If I get hungry, I can get up and walk down to the dining car and have dinner. I'm not sure if they still have them, but back when I was younger the California Zephyr had neat little observation decks upstairs designed specifically to give the best possible view of the scenery. Just being able to move around freely was a godsend. I hate how cramped I feel in planes and buses.

About the only downside to trains are they are a bit noisier, and they do have this tendancy to...er...vibrate. On the other hand, there's almost a charm to that as well once you get used to it. All in all, I recommend it. Of course, my train experience is a couple of decades in the past now. Who knows what they'd done to it since then. Frankly, though, I wish Amtrak would get their engines out of their caboose and try to make passenger trains a bit more competetive again. I'd take 'em every time over planes if it weren't for the fact they cost as much now, but don't get you there nearly as quick.

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: Just a question.... 05/20/2006 04:37 PM CDT
thanks for the info and giving me a great idea for a little summer trip with my 4 year old boys.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Just a question.... 05/20/2006 06:52 PM CDT
Yeah, if you have the time my money is always on Trains... they do them better in almost every other part of the world then here but still the way to go.

As Dart said the best is the freedom to wander and the more open seating. One draw back I could see is if your child is very high energy and needs stimulation (of course car trips and plane rides would be bad too but... ) then the more relaxed train might not be as fun for them. My first train ride was 7/8 to a summer camp from LA to Phoenix... best memory of youth I have... the click-clack of the train, the small towns and open spaces going by, <sigh>...

Well there you go... which ever way you go have fun and enjoy the time with your kid, it will all go by too fast.

Whispersoft
Re: Just a question.... 05/20/2006 10:34 PM CDT
I rode Amtrak from Dallas to WVa...

Now granted, I was sharing a sleeping car with my mother-in-law...so our experience wasn't what you'd get in coach.

Personally, as long as you have some idea of where you're going and what's going on, it's not bad.

The kiddos are free to move around, there are snacks available for purchase (not cheap, be warned), the snack car is usually at the bottom of the observation car, so you can always sit up there and look out the windows. They will mark your position in your coach car with your destination, to make sure you are woken if necessary to make your stop.

I would generally prefer to fly unless I can get a sleeper car, which my mother-in-law gets by earning points on her credit card and using the points for free upgrades. Coach for the distance we generally go is just too "cattle call" and insane for *my personal taste*. The kids will likely love it, though, especially with more freedom to wiggle when needed vs. flying.

And you can't beat sitting in Chicago station and hearing a boarding call for "The City of New Orleans"...had the song in my head for the rest of our layover.

-Vaeldriil

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Just a question.... 05/21/2006 04:51 AM CDT
There's also an auto-train that runs from somewhere around Virginia to Melbourne, Florida.. I live in Orlando and was working the summer at a camp in Pennsylvania (couldn't live without my car). I was very very comfy.. upgraded to a train with a bed so I could lie down.. had my own little room. There was a nice dining area and a smoking car (yeah, yeah, smoking's bad for you).. but the train was really accomodating and I felt very comfortable the entire time. Best part: after everything, I got to pick up my car outside and was on the road shortly after.

Soooo if you can't live without your car, but you want to save on wear-and-tear, gas money, and sanity.. drive on over to the auto-train. :)

--

Acta est fabula, plaudite!
Re: Just a question.... 05/21/2006 01:01 PM CDT
i'm personally fond of flying...but when you've been doing it since you were two or three, it's really not very intimidating. never done the train thing though. seems like it would be fun.

Jaebom --trains don't really run from chicago to europe though, do they?
Re: Just a question.... 05/22/2006 09:39 AM CDT
For trans-Atlantic, there's only one way to travel... Luxury cruise ships.

I'd give a few people's left arms for a full suite on the QM2. (After all, there's no use giving my own left arm with all these perfectly good ones going to waste now, is there.) And if you play your cards right, you can even have your own car waiting for you on the other side of the pond.

Now that's style.

Daerri; the player of,

Don't write it if you can say it.
Don't say it if you can whisper it.
Don't whisper it if you can imply it.
Don't imply it if you can nudge it.
Don't nudge it if you can wink it.
Don't wink it if you can help it.
Re: Just a question.... 05/22/2006 12:16 PM CDT
i get sea sick after a while...three or four days? i won't be feelin so good.

Jaebom --though on a boat that big, i might just feel a bit queezy the whole time...
Re: Just a question.... 05/22/2006 01:53 PM CDT
<<i get sea sick after a while...three or four days? i won't be feelin so good.

I hear they make something to treat that... It's called booze, comes in lots of friendly flavors and strengths. Take copiously, and the whole world sways anyway...

The voice in Deslah's head
Re: Just a question.... 05/23/2006 08:18 AM CDT
Trains to me are one of the friendlier ways to get to know people while travelling.

The speed of the planes a lot of the time ensures that they are filled with stressed people who are in too much of a hurry to waste time on strangers.

In a train you get to actually face the people over a table, so you are not droppping your newspaper on top of them. Somenone always has a pack of cards on the train, and you got plenty enough time to get to know people, if only enough to reaffirm your conviction that people are basically good and nice, regardless of what the news try to tell us.

I don't really have much of a habit for riding trains, and from next year my life will be far too fast to possibly use them. I suppose I should try to hop on the Dart or the train to Limerick (see? Ireland is so totally a country of bards) before that at some stage...

"What God abandonned, they defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay."
Re: Just a question.... 05/23/2006 11:04 AM CDT
I was pretty much horrified moving from England to Minnesota because of the lack of good public transportation. It's so convenient, economical, and environmentally conscious to ride a train, and yet everyone has at least two cars/SUVs over here. Not to mention you don't have to worry about sitting in traffic when you ride the train.

Tahra, player of Tashya
Re: Just a question.... 05/24/2006 06:35 PM CDT
limerick? you're in ireland? i was born in waterford. been living in northern illinois since i was 3. i've still got a lot of family in ireland though...and spain, for that matter...so yeah...planes are the only real option for me when it comes to that sorta thing.

Jaebom --you're english, tahra?
Re: Just a question.... 05/24/2006 06:43 PM CDT
Ayup.

I am one of the two irish DR players. Me being from Cork, and according to that mao somebody did at some point there was also some loonatic from Dublin.

Go us!

Re: Just a question.... 05/24/2006 06:47 PM CDT
>I am one of the two irish DR players. Me being from Cork, and according to that mao somebody did at some point there was also some loonatic from Dublin.

There are more people from Ireland playing than you might think.

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: Just a question.... 05/24/2006 08:06 PM CDT
>>been living in northern illinois since i was 3.

Sheesh, where? I'm in the suburbs of Chicago! Nice to see there are a few more people local to me.

- Stormsinger Shavay

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
Re: Just a question.... 05/24/2006 11:12 PM CDT
rochelle. half hour west of dekalb, which is, in turn, about half an hour west of naperville...you get the idea. only a ten minute drive from my house to the exit on I88.

Jaebom --now...if there were things to do around here, i'd be happy...
Re: Just a question.... 05/24/2006 11:58 PM CDT
I'm not British, I'm American. But my father was in the Air Force and I lived all over the world growing up. It was quite the experience!

Oh, and Jae I'll be in Belvidere second week of June to visit my family. We should have a beer!

Tahra, player of Tashya
Re: Just a question.... 05/25/2006 03:03 AM CDT
>There are more people from Ireland playing than you might think.

Is that including all the people whose grandfather saw a picture of an irishman in a book once, therefore making them irish? Or like people who actually live here?

If the latter is the case we should unionize and have our very own Simu(lation)con!

Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5