Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 8
So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 02:14 PM CDT

Buffs across the board for Magic-users. Wondering where this leaves us, and the development that has been talked about for years and still isn't completed.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 03:03 PM CDT

I have to say, as someone who mains an MU, I was surprised at how across the board those buffs were. Increases in TM/debil, decreases in slot costs, new spells, testing new TM templates, increases in mana regen... Woof. It's a good time to be an MU to be sure.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 04:05 PM CDT

Which is one of the reasons my barb doesn't even log in, meanwhile I just continue training my little cleric like a barbarian.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 07:05 PM CDT
Is now a good time to say "I told you so."? Seems I brought this up several months ago and all I heard was, "it won't affect barbarians negatively."

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 07:13 PM CDT

No, the changes actually effect us positively. Should check out the changelogs. Everything being buffed as IN SoI now gives us +20% with panther, contemplation (still boosts aug, right?) and bear. Just does the same and much more for everyone else.

The real problem isn't that it hurt us, it is that in the general scheme of things we're staying the same (while we need development in a few areas) and most everyone else is getting better.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 07:19 PM CDT
>No, the changes actually effect us positively. Should check out the changelogs. Everything being buffed as IN SoI now gives us +20% with panther, contemplation (still boosts aug, right?) and bear. Just does the same and much more for everyone else.

I'd second check that and verify that any changes apply to NMUs. I'd give it 50/50 that they don't.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 07:20 PM CDT
>No, the changes actually effect us positively. Should check out the changelogs. Everything being buffed as IN SoI now gives us +20% with panther, contemplation (still boosts aug, right?) and bear. Just does the same and much more for everyone else.

I have read them. Please explain as maybe I'm not understanding. Everything in our SoI was already buffable to 20% and I've tested and proved that to be true to myself. Our only magics in SoI are Inner Fire and Debilitation. Your point about "the same and much more" is the point.

I'm not getting what you are saying so please enlighten us. Seriously, this isn't me be snarking but truly not getting your point.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 07:33 PM CDT
SoI is being done away with. Every buff is now 20%. Barbs should also gain slots since Debils cost less now, too. Kodius just needs to come back to Barb dev for that to happen. Barbs benefit from these changes as much as MUs do. The problem is that only Kodius works on the guild so you have to wait on him to catch up to the changes that happen to the Magic system as a whole.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 08:26 PM CDT
>>SoI is being done away with. Every buff is now 20%. Barbs should also gain slots since Debils cost less now, too. Kodius just needs to come back to Barb dev for that to happen.

This was pretty much the point of me posting, so the benefits we CAN reap from this are put into motion. Also, not as much as MUs benefit. Heavy TM, Armor Piercing, reduced mana costs on TM and Debil for equal effectiveness all add up to a considerable boon. Willing to bet we won't get to roar more often, or, you know, heavy TM
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 08:52 PM CDT
To make it explicit how the SOI system being eliminated specifically affects barbarians...

Currently your buffs to Brigandine, Plate Armor, Perception, Locksmithing, Warding, Charisma, and Agility only get a 15% boost. After magic 3.2 goes live they will be a 20% boost. You would also get this increase on abilities that buff First Aid, Arcana, Discipline, Intelligence, and Wisdom if you had them, but you don't currently.

This makes Contemplation, Cyclone, Bear Form, Focus, Wildfire, and Owl Form more powerful as a direct result of these changes with no downside at all.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 09:04 PM CDT

>> I have read them. Please explain as maybe I'm not understanding. Everything in our SoI was already buffable to 20% and I've tested and proved that to be true to myself. Our only magics in SoI are Inner Fire and Debilitation. Your point about "the same and much more" is the point.

The following skills can be buffed by barbarians that were not in SOI. So it's effectively a 5% boost on the buff.

- Brigadine (Contemplation)
- Plate Armor (Contemplation)
- Augmentation (Contemplation)
- Warding (Bear)
- Perception (Owl)
- Locksmithing (Focus)
- Agility (Wildfire)
- Charisma (Cyclone)

I'd also expect these to benefit barbarians as everything(?) goes through core magic/atunement. If not, it really, really should. I think this should result in overall buff to "attunement" for barbarians especially, but also thieves.
> The percentage of mana you recovered with each pulse is no longer dependent on skill set placement and Attunement skill. Attunement continues to drive the size of your mana pool, so it will still result in more absolute mana recovered per pulse but it will not decrease the time to recover your entire pool.
> Debilitation and TM spells have had their mana costs drastically altered

>> I'd second check that and verify that any changes apply to NMUs. I'd give it 50/50 that they don't.

Since this goes through core magic, is there any reason this wouldn't be the case other than unbridled cynicism?
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 09:17 PM CDT

>>unbridled cynicism

Nope that's it. But, I mean, we are Barbarians. You kind of have to start expecting the short straw at some point.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 09:18 PM CDT

Also, double post- barbarians and thieves have zero to do with attunement. Completely separate system, and I would bet the farm against this improving inner fire regen rate.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 09:43 PM CDT

> Also, double post- barbarians and thieves have zero to do with attunement. Completely separate system, and I would bet the farm against this improving inner fire regen rate.

I have never played a barbarian to a respectable circle, but I understand what you're saying from my limited forays into the class. I adamantly am opposed to this design decision, and I think barbarians should be able to use more simultaneous abilities earlier.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/27/2016 09:46 PM CDT
>I have never played a barbarian to a respectable circle, but I understand what you're saying from my limited forays into the class. I adamantly am opposed to this design decision, and I think barbarians should be able to use more simultaneous abilities earlier.

Weird and unpleasant resource systems just seem to be 'the thing' with NMUs.

Kodius has said that he designed the barb system with balance checks that magic was also supposed to adhere to in 3.0, and did not (for a lot of reasons; at least partially because so many people were working on it while barbarians was just him).
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 01:46 AM CDT
Kodius stated at one point that he was going to find a way to punish Barbarians with any magic knowledge. Now it seems that if you have ANY Arcana ranks at all and you are in the same room with anyone prepping a spell, you now passively learn Arcana. Is this the punishment he was talking about?

It seems to me that, since we no longer have the choice about learning magic, if you don't want to risk the wrath of the guild leaders by gaining ranks you are effectively cut off from anything and anyone except hunting alone in some far removed place where no one ever goes. That is fine with me, but really not fair to those who are super social and like being in town.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
-Soren Kierkegaard
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 02:16 AM CDT
>>Now it seems that if you have ANY Arcana ranks at all and you are in the same room with anyone prepping a spell, you now passively learn Arcana.

If you have zero ranks you won't learn.

>>Is this the punishment he was talking about?

I don't see how this is a punishment.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 02:19 AM CDT
<<Kodius stated at one point that he was going to find a way to punish Barbarians with any magic knowledge.

The punishment was going to be something along the lines of things like Agonar saying that he was disappointed in you when circling. I.e. not much of one.

I can see whether this new mechanic needs changing going either way, really. It's a valid RP choice to not use Arcana as a Barbarian, and it's also (going to be) a valid mechanical choice to train it. Neither really has consequences, although it kind of sucks that the people who choose the former are ending up with a few ranks because of the new mech so turning it off for barbarians would be a nod to that. That said, because there's no real consequences the other option is to just leave the trickle of ranks in and shelve whatever future non-consequential mechanics there were going to be.

It kind of makes sense anyway, even for a Barbarian to know, since all the recognition is lore-wise is just recognizing whatever motions or words it is that the caster is doing and recognizing it as something. I.e. "Hey that person is waggling their fingers and saying words the same way this other person did when casting a Fireball spell at me the other day. This person must be doing the same thing!"

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 02:20 AM CDT
<<If you have zero ranks you won't learn.

And that right there is the perfect solution, already in place.

Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 02:27 AM CDT
If all it is going to be is guild leaders ringing bells in my face and yelling "Shame!" I don't care about actively or passively learning Arcana. I just don't want to be any further down the rabbit hole of destruction than I already am. That being said, it would be nice if barbarians had a choice in the matter.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
-Soren Kierkegaard
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 02:49 AM CDT
<<That being said, it would be nice if barbarians had a choice in the matter.

They do. Don't learn any arcana and you won't learn it from recognizing spells. Pick up a bit of arcana from somewhere and you will.

Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 02:56 AM CDT
So can we get away to dump the ranks we have then? So we dont learn by default?
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 08:15 AM CDT
<<That being said, it would be nice if barbarians had a choice in the matter.

They do. Don't learn any arcana and you won't learn it from recognizing spells. Pick up a bit of arcana from somewhere and you will.>>

Then they should have an option in place to forget all your magic ranks. Personally Ill take my free TDPs.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 08:40 AM CDT

Just insult to injury. Barbs can't even use all their abilities and are the most gimpy damage dealers compared to MUs... then they buff MU's. Guess that makes sense... if we were all living in the twilight zone.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 08:53 AM CDT

>> then they buff MU's

TBF, WMs probably have a nerf coming. I don't know if it was an oversight in the conversion of BG and DB off of utility, but BG seems as strong as it ever was, and Dragon's Breath is pretty insane. War Mages got a very substantial rapid-fire power increase. Haven't really seen much on the other magic-using guilds, yet.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 09:02 AM CDT

Nah, remember Lanival was a Warmage. Magic 3.2 - WM will now have X-treme Talisman and can now summon dragons!
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 09:38 AM CDT

> Nah, remember Lanival was a Warmage. Magic 3.2 - WM will now have X-treme Talisman and can now summon dragons!

Or just a barbarian dancing dragon? WMs could send barbarians on errands. They could have them hold their gear. They could even command them to perform a trick when two or more are in a room. The barbarian familiars would sit in a circle and complain about how they can't kill their masters.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 12:40 PM CDT
This thread makes me sad.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 12:45 PM CDT

>>This thread makes me sad.

But I mean, with bear and buffalo and tornado... we can REALLY hold a lot of those mage's gear.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 12:53 PM CDT

> WMs could send barbarians on errands. They could have them hold their gear. They could even command them to perform a >trick when two or more are in a room. The barbarian familiars would sit in a circle and complain about how they can't >kill their masters.

::slow golf clap::
Re: So... that magic 3.2. 07/28/2016 01:06 PM CDT
>This thread makes me sad.

Your face makes me sad.

Because you're ugly.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/28/2016 07:56 PM CDT
Please address the topic rather than each other.

Thank you,

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/28/2016 11:36 PM CDT
"Please address the topic rather than each other." - Heljie

Okay, I will. This is indeed a sad day for barbarians... agree with Squanto (paraphrased). So, are we bringing back BMR now? We had a hard enough time countering magic with 3.1 no matter what Kodius said about Swam + Serenity. We are the anti-magic guild based on lore. Thus sayeth the creators, so sayeth we all. "My dear guests, I am Rhadyn, your host. Welcome to Magic Island!"

Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/29/2016 12:47 AM CDT
<<We had a hard enough time countering magic with 3.1 no matter what Kodius said about Swam + Serenity.

Nothing about Magic 3.2 makes it harder for you to counter other player's magic than before. The main change that happened to TM/Debil spells generally was a reduction in attunement cost for the non-AoE ones. There were minor difficulty adjustments here or there, but nothing that's going to make a player be able to cast much stronger debil/tm spells than they did before. What it might accomplish is them being able to cast a few more debil/tm spells at you before running low on mana, but that's a resource management issue rather than a countering issue.

There are a few new TM/Debil templates that could potentially hit harder, but these have a long cooldown or have reduced base damage to balance it out. And they're not anything that different from the old DFA spells which haven't been a boat rocker, so these new forms shouldn't be either.

As for PvE critter spells being more difficult... I believe that's because creatures cast with a set amount of mana rather than a relative amount, so when the mana ranges of debil and tm spells were lowered their relative power of the cast went up. In some cases, this could result in quite a difference in output. That said, critter magic was pretty darn toothless, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing although it would certainly benefit from being looked at if certain creatures are now unhuntable. And this isn't a Barbarian only thing really, since they have ways to deal with it. Some guilds don't have that at all.

Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/29/2016 07:29 AM CDT

I'm about to go as far as a vote of no confidence for the entire guild at large; along with the thieves guild. I think this 'magic over everything' will be a permanent direction for the game. DR-Armifer and the lack of any response by DR-Kodius has made it clear that magic is something you must use in order to stay competitive in the game. Note: I speak of Armifer's comments about Barbs and enchanting.

Friends, the GMs have made it clear that NMU's are something that they just aren't interested in. I wish all of you here the best in terms of finding a new role for your Barbarian or thief mains. I am fully convinced now that we're looking down into a dark abyss rather then looking up to brighter days ahead. I too agree with the rest of you and am very sad.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/29/2016 07:38 AM CDT
I'm not as gloom and doom as Valacar, but I will honestly say it's very dispiriting watching magic get the resource development it has in the past multiple years. New spells, constant tweaks, new features and entire systems.

NMU magic basically chugs along as functional, but doesn't get any polish or tweaking. It's bound to create jealousy.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/29/2016 08:25 AM CDT
I want to apologize to Jhaliascleric. Your posts in the other thread don't hold a candle compared to this guy's in terms of whine level. Can we go back to posts like that again, please?

Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/29/2016 08:25 AM CDT

>>NMU magic basically chugs along as functional, but doesn't get any polish or tweaking. It's bound to create jealousy.

It's not even that we need polishing or tweaking, the guild redesigned was never even fully released. Masteries and abilities still nonfunctional. Proposed damage generation (which was going to be earthquake, as even in the development of 3.0 is was recognized that alternative damage production was desperately needed) is no closer to a reality than it was 3 years ago. The guild has a solid defenive buff suite, but in the end of the day, really has nothing special. Between all the other guild based antimagic out there, the wards a well trained barbarian could produce weren't even the most effective magic prevention in town. (clerics with Hulp, Spite, Idon's Theft, SL, Lay Ward, GhS)
Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/29/2016 09:06 AM CDT

>I want to apologize to Jhaliascleric. Your posts in the other thread don't hold a candle compared to this guy's in terms of whine level. Can we go back to posts like that again, please?

huggles.
Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/29/2016 09:08 AM CDT

>Masteries and abilities still nonfunctional

Other than warstomp, what do you mean?
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 8