Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/30/2016 07:40 AM CDT

Huh, alright, fair point about the zombies. My mistake. I thought Whirlwind had more oomph, guess not!
Re: So... that magic 3.2. ::NUDGE:: 07/30/2016 07:58 AM CDT

People have no idea how badly Barbs lag behind in the damage department, no idea. It's just many barbs have been here forever and thus have said their piece a thousand times and now really just don't care anymore. Things like this affect game development negatively, possibly one of the most negative detractors.

Bottom line, if I don't recieve some word from a GM on the future course of Barbs I'm just cancelling my 2 accounts and going idle (maybe try out Gemstone or whatever); not a threat, just surrender.
Damage 07/30/2016 08:01 AM CDT
I'd like to complain that barbarians need a better way to generate damage.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Damage 07/30/2016 08:07 AM CDT
>>I'd like to complain that barbarians need a better way to generate damage.
Re: Damage 07/30/2016 08:09 AM CDT

>>I'd like to complain that barbarians need a better way to generate damage.

As the other half of the Mad'uuwl clan.. I'd like to agree.

Also, I am going to go ahead and say it cause I can. I would like to see barbs finished and the things 'on the to do list' finished before magic 3.9484838383 if that's ok with you guys???

I don't give a damn about anything other than this..

We have waited.. we have been patient and it seems we are being pushed aside while magic users are getting all the love and NMUs are the red headed (no offense Uri) step child of DR.
Barriers 07/30/2016 08:16 AM CDT
It seems the new TM tools and magic 3.2 release allows mages to punch through our barriers better and easier, I'd like to complain that our barriers are now to weak against magic since the 3.2 release.

Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 08:32 AM CDT
No. Everyone assured me that barbarians are overpowered and need to be down tweaked in the other thread.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 08:36 AM CDT

>>No. Everyone assured me that barbarians are overpowered and need to be down tweaked in the other thread.

TBH i think you were just misinterpreting, and so were they. When you said "leaving out serenity" or something along those lines, they went in panic mode because serenity being completely dropped is the worst of the situation, dropping all buffs. That and serenity is supposed to be the Kodius-proclaimed cornerstone of the barb MR suite.

Speaking of Kodius, wonder why there hasn't been a word from him on any of this, as long as these discussions have been going on. Has he checked out of Barbarians completely?

But, back to the topic:

>>It seems the new TM tools and magic 3.2 release allows mages to punch through our barriers better and easier, I'd like to complain that our barriers are now to weak against magic since the 3.2 release.

+1
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 08:51 AM CDT

> It seems the new TM tools and magic 3.2 release allows mages to punch through our barriers better and easier, I'd like to complain that our barriers are now to weak against magic since the 3.2 release.

I don't think that's right. Right now the mages are up in arms because the mana regen "buff" turns out to be a big nerf. It seems most people were playing in the 20-30% range of mana which meant they were regenning far more than the GMs wanted, and that's not including the serious nerf to mana regen mechanics such as POM or BOTF (which is better, but still not near where it was). If anything, I think we'll see a little less casting or best a wash once things settle down.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 08:56 AM CDT

>>I don't think that's right. Right now the mages are up in arms because the mana regen "buff" turns out to be a big nerf. It seems most people were playing in the 20-30% range of mana which meant they were regenning far more than the GMs wanted, and that's not including the serious nerf to mana regen mechanics such as POM or BOTF (which is better, but still not near where it was). If anything, I think we'll see a little less casting or best a wash once things settle down.

These numbers were JUST tweaked up again (pool size and regen), and mana regen/pool size is not half what it was, for certain. Mana cost per power output on a lot of the spells IS half what it was. Same amount of power for half the mana spent, and the way mana scales, that allows you to maintain your attunement better overall anyways (spending less per cast). So, just... stop.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 08:57 AM CDT

>>No. Everyone assured me that barbarians are overpowered and need to be down tweaked in the other

What other thread?! Sir you are making my head hurt. Barbs are the same as they have been.. in limbo waiting for the list to get done. There's a list!!!
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:05 AM CDT
>>I don't think that's right. Right now the mages are up in arms because the mana regen "buff" turns out to be a big nerf. It seems most people were playing in the 20-30% range of mana which meant they were regenning far more than the GMs wanted, and that's not including the serious nerf to mana regen mechanics such as POM or BOTF (which is better, but still not near where it was). If anything, I think we'll see a little less casting or best a wash once things settle down. <<

My post was simply regarding our barriers being weaker against TM and magic since the 3.2 release. I don't agree that casting slightly less spells was a good reason for barbarian barriers to be weakened, if that is your reasoning or what you are suggesting.

Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:06 AM CDT

> These numbers were JUST tweaked up again (pool size and regen), and mana regen/pool size is not half what it was, for certain. Mana cost per power output on a lot of the spells IS half what it was.

That's only half the story. Previously, a mage could rapid cast spells at the low end of a pool to burn through barriers. If they do that now, they'll burn out and be without casting for several seconds. Per your own words, regen isn't at the 50% point and TM spells are 50% to cast, so that is overall a nerf. We're just arguing about the size of the nerf.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:08 AM CDT

> My post was simply regarding our barriers being weaker against TM and magic since the 3.2 release. I don't agree that casting slightly less spells was a good reason for barbarian barriers to be weakened, if that is your reasoning or what you are suggesting.

It's not. I'm just pointing out that all of the doom and gloom because of magic 3.2 is a little too chicken little.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:11 AM CDT
>>It's not. I'm just pointing out that all of the doom and gloom because of magic 3.2 is a little too chicken little. <<

Then what were you trying to say exactly? I simply wanted to post that our barriers are not as effective as they were prior to the release of 3.2. In fact, they seem very under powered and under whelming all of a sudden. I don't want to make this a GvG thing. I just want our barriers looked at and possibly tweaked to become more powerful.

Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:11 AM CDT

> Most replies said that it was a huge net gain for mid-late tert players.

Yeah, but I don't think paladins and rangers are causing problems for barbarians.

I also think you guys are looking at this from the wrong place. Magic tert guilds have received a huge buff. Technically, barbarians are magic tert. Rather than complaining about some other guild that may or may not have received more power (even though it looks like they didn't) why aren't you mounting a campaign to improve your own inner fire regen to match the new levels of magic tert guilds? Bring in balance by buffing barbarians.

Although, I guess it makes sense that the barbarian mentality would be more about trying to tear down others (and that wasn't a dig - just mentality, it fits), I think that this could be a launch pad for small tweaks that creates massive improvements to the guild. Use it.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:13 AM CDT

>>regen isn't at the 50% point

No, regen was normalized to a constant rate throughout the pool which I believe they stated was above the rate you got at the high end of your mana pool formerly, as well as mana pool sizes being increased. PoM was buggy in 3.1 and took probably the biggest decrease in effectiveness. As someone who shelved his barbarian and is actively playing a magic prime right now, who happens to be a cleric with PoM, I can distinctly say it is not the situation you make it out to be, at all.

Furthermore, I resign to Buuwl's wisdom here-

>>I simply wanted to post that our barriers are not as effective as they were prior to the release of 3.2. In fact, they seem very under powered and under whelming all of a sudden.

This is what is important, here.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:16 AM CDT

>> I think that this could be a launch pad for small tweaks that creates massive improvements to the guild. Use it.

We have had tweaks and improvements proposed for years now that disappear in favor of what I can only assume is work on crafting. The improvements Kodius has even suggested, or projects/releasing the guild offered to be finished, rarely see any follow-through. As mentioned repeatedly in these threads. If you notice, these conversations have been happening for weeks without word from the guild developer.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:16 AM CDT

>>I also think you guys are looking at this from the wrong place.

No. You are looking at it from our guilds complaint folder and tramped right in to argue something that wasnt being argued. Let me dumb this down for you.

OUR BARRIERS SEEM WEAK.

also.. OUR GUILD ISNT FINISHED SINCE THE FIRST MAGIC REWRITE...SEND HALP....thanks.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:17 AM CDT

> In fact, they seem very under powered and under whelming all of a sudden. I don't want to make this a GvG thing. I just want our barriers looked at and possibly tweaked to become more powerful.

I apologize if I misread what you're saying. Here's what I would do if I were pushing for barbarians.

Ask the GMs to...

1. Improve inner fire regeneration rates to match the tert mana regen rates.
2. Reduce the inner fire/recharge cost of "TM" abilities (ie: screams) or debilitation abilities to match the reduced mana requirements.
3. Reduce the inner fire cost of maintaining cyclics to match the magic 3.2 changes.
4. Allow barbarians a better way of sensing inner fire (mana) and abilities without costing slots.
5. Make the masteries learnable once you reached certain experience (100 arcana/scholarship equivalents)
6. Increase inner fire pool size (if it hasn't been done already) and allow banking inner fire.
7. Create an inner fire type device that mirrors cambrinth so that you can fill up and then unload for burst.

If that's not possible then greatly reduce the slot cost of abilities because barbarians receive the down-sides of magic without the upsides.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:20 AM CDT

> No, regen was normalized to a constant rate throughout the pool which I believe they stated was above the rate you got at the high end of your mana pool formerly

Which it turns out that no one was at. If I receive 1% at the top end and 10% at the bottom end, and I'm constantly in the bottom then I'm effectively at 10% regen. To normalize that to 1.5% feels good, but it's effectively a nerf now that I can't stay at the bottom + harn/charge for improved regen. That's all I'm saying. Mages were nerfed.

My understanding of the barrier complaint is that mages have to cast more to tear down barriers more quickly, but the point is that if they tore it down then they're waiting much longer for the mana to come back up to a point that they can cast spells again.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:22 AM CDT

>>2. Reduce the inner fire/recharge cost of "TM" abilities (ie: screams)

things like this make me think you have no idea how barbarians work or what their current condition is. this makes me think you should avoid posting in a thread about their abilities and position entirely. Uneducated posts with only conjecture and no actual experience or data help noone.

Also, all of your proposals don't do anything about the two primary problems barbarians have mentioned in this thread, or the last you commented in. At best, you are muddying a potentially constructive conversation about what is needed with misinformation.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:26 AM CDT
Derium, if you truly are trying to be helpful/constructive/informed, read all our folders over the past 4 or so years before going further with your posts. I think it's poor form to post in folders that you are clearly not informed in.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:34 AM CDT

I've stated my experience with barbarians in this very board, so if I'm not helping then I'll stop posting. I will leave a final thought and realization though. If you want something to change, you can't make ill-informed arguments (no, the irony isn't lost on me) about how you think someone else is now going to be better than you. Provide numbers, show the inequality, and ask for balance.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 09:42 AM CDT
We've been through this for years, even at times with numerous MUs clearly agreeing with us on issues and providing tremendous amounts of data/proof with nothing getting done on our end to improve discrepancies. The frustration you are reading is pent up from years of what seems like being stuck in quicksand for the guild. Similar suggestions you are bringing up that seem kinda duh to you have been suggested time and time again in one form or another. That is why I suggest if you are in all sincerity trying to be beneficial to the guild and the discussions at hand, read up on a lot of our past.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 01:07 PM CDT
>>DR GMs. DO YOUR JOBS.

I am doing the job I am being required to do. : shrug : Once things settle down I hope to get back to you with some updates.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 01:08 PM CDT
Annwyl in 3...2...1...

But no I agree. These conversations have been going on far too long. Adding entirely new systems, at some point, should stop taking precedence over balancing/finishing already existing ones. When is the last time we got an official comment on anything Barbarian? Anyone brave enough to dig through and find it?
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 01:13 PM CDT
I assure you, none of the GMs are on anything resembling a salary. We get paid some shares, yes, but the last time I did the math for my own situation it came out to less than $1/hr.

So there's that. If we were just in it for the money we'd just drive for Uber a couple of hours here and there and come out ahead.

Secondly, Kodius is deeply involved in the current Safari and remains involved in creating systems. That's a lot on one GM's plate... and we're all loaded up like that.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 01:14 PM CDT

>>I am doing the job I am being required to do. : shrug :

Well, there you go.

>>Once things settle down I hope to get back to you with some updates.

a.

>>hope

lol.

b.

>>some updates

I think this was the last time we got some 'updates' on potential dev. I could be wrong, maybe missed something, but I don't think so-

http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Barbarians/General%20Discussions%20-%20Barbarians/thread/1689606

17 months ago.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 01:36 PM CDT

Let's remember first off, you're talking to humans who are reading your abusive messages.

Yes, we're aware that there is frustration, but unless you find a way to express yourself in a constructive manner you're losing your audience.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 01:46 PM CDT
Heh, Raesh put that better than I did.

In any case yes, we work on many different projects. As I have posted previously - it doesn't make sense for me to go making adjustments to the Guild until the full effects of 3.2 are realized. Otherwise it just becomes a reactionary game.

And 17 months have not passed since I've provided an update :chuckle: I posted a number of times this year discussing possible improvements and commenting on your discussions. There were plans for improvements once I had Tinkering out, but they are delayed a bit.

We've been having some other discussions on future Guild abilities and we will be able to comment on it soon. The real problem right now is resources and figuring out who has the time to do this work. I oversee combat, crafting, barbarians and events. There just isn't enough of me to go around!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 01:52 PM CDT

I wonder, again, if this would be a good time to pick up some more people on staff , or figure out a good method for roping pkayers into contributing.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 02:01 PM CDT
Incoming lost post about mana regeneration and spell costs to aid everyone with being on the same page about what the changes actually did with respect to these.

Mana regen:
The current fixed mana regen rate is the same as what it used to be when you were around 60-70% full depending on guild before the changes. Attunement pool size has generally increased now meaning the actual amount of attunement returned by a percent is different, but it's not that large of an increase so a ballpark of 60-70% is still a good comparison.

This means that if a mage had kept their attunement levels high previous to 3.2 then the change will seem to be a buff to mana regen for them since they would have only been getting a 1 to 2% regen before compared to 2.5% now. Although, this would also likely not affect a mage's perception of how much mana they have available at a given time when comparing before and after much, since they were never low on mana to begin with.

For a mage that kept their attunement levels below 60-70% then this will be a nerf to mana regen, the farther under 60% they kept it the more of a loss of regen it is. Under the old system it was possible to get up to 5% regen if your mana was low enough. Most mages ran at approximately 30% mana which was around a 4% regen, so having it now be 2.5% is quite a significant loss even considering the reduction in costs of certain spells.

I can't imagine a mage actually maintaining about 70% in the old system, however, unless they were just not casting spells very often. It was definitely to one's huge advantage to run with low attunement if casting spells with any frequency. So this means that for most mages this actually ends up being an overall loss of attunement regeneration, making resource management something they have to worry about more now even with the reduction of the costs of certain spells.

Casting costs:
As for the casting costs, I am probably the one person not a GM to have gone through every single spell's mana and difficulty changes. This perspective highlights some misconceptions on both sides about how much spells have had their costs reduced. The cost of many, but certainly not all, spells was lowered, but only in certain situations was the cost significantly lowered and in many cases was not lowered at all or even raised.

The only spells that had a really significant reduction in costs are the lowest tier debilitation and TM spells (typically the ones a character would be able to choose in their first 5 circles) where they tended to have gone from requiring from up to 100 mana to now typically requiring 1 to 33. Higher tiered TM/Debil is typically 10 to 66 now from the same starting point, which is still fairly significant a reduction but not quite as much. And AoE or especially powerful TM/Debil are still 10-30 to 100 so there's no reduction there. One or two of those even actually went up in cost slightly, now starting at 30 mana when they used to start at something like 20 before, for instance.

Cyclics got about a reduction on average, although it is hard to estimate by how much and is a bit less meaningful a stat since several actually went up in cost too, or had their minimum go up and the maximum go down, or vice versa, etc. Overall, they're cheaper by a little bit but not significantly so. They're still a balancing act to maintain, in most cases, while casting other spells with any frequency.

Most standard buffs, wards, and utility effects stayed generally the same cost with only minor changes here and there, generally still going from 1 to 30 at the bottom end to 100 at the top. It is here that the mana regen changes feel most like a nerf, since this is where the bulk of training spells are and spamming them to train results in low attunement levels.

Ritual spells frequently saw an increase in cost with starting ranges often going up to 300 mana from 150 mana before, and the upper end going from 600/700 to 800 mana. Since these spells on only cast about once every hour or so at best, however, the cost increase doesn't have much of a meaningful impact on resource management overall.

Hope that helps every get on the same page about regen and spell costs.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 02:09 PM CDT
>>I wonder, again, if this would be a good time to pick up some more people on staff , or figure out a good method for roping pkayers into contributing.

It's a fine time to bring more people on staff, but there's been substantial logistical issues that have come up. Each new cohort of GMs represents months of training that we simply have not been in a position to offer yet. Frankly, we've reached a situation where we're so in need of new GMs that we no longer can easily train new GMs.

There is a light at the end of this particular tunnel, however, though I'm not going to be able to give details yet.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 02:14 PM CDT
Oh, and guild actually would have an impact on the perception of how much the mana regen changes would affect you, simply from the mana cost changes, nevermind the pool size changes.

Empaths, for example, had very few changes at all to their spell's mana and difficulty ranges. So, for them the only change they're really going to notice would likely be the attunement regeneration.

Bards with their large number of cyclics are all over the map in terms of mana cost changes, and so it's a bit of a grab bag how the regen change would feel to them based on which cyclics they are used to using.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 02:24 PM CDT

>>There were plans for improvements once I had Tinkering out,

There were also plans for improvement when shaping was out. And alchemy. And carving. Out of all those plans, the only thing done was roars updated to different stat contests, which was absolutely a boon (and to be fair, our complaining helped you find the flaw in the SVS system where it was calculating effectiveness off mana and not win %), but there has still always been so much more to be done. We talked about the glaring DPS differences before 3.2 was even suggested. People proposed ideas. This has been an ongoing trend since early 2013.
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 02:46 PM CDT
Are we slated to get some slots refunded with these magic changes? If so, soonish?

Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 03:01 PM CDT

@armifer

As someone who just started a job with an 8+ month training curve, I can appreciate that. However, DR had long has a somewhat bizarre air of secrecy behind development and what happen behind the scenes that i feel is at this point detrimental to... just a about every aspect of the game.

Guess I'm getting off topic now. I feel like players could potentially help in more significant ways than chipping in towards pay events and quests
Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 03:17 PM CDT
>>the only thing done

Well, that is still much more than many of the other Guilds :P

And while that is your opinion, I don't believe it accurately reflects the effort spent implementing and testing the SvS changes across your abilities. It omits the effort expended to re-balance the IF cost of your abilities and enabling of Barbarians to have more abilities up at once. It leaves out all the testing and time I spent in conversations about Barrier changes that have unfortunately not been finished yet.

Re: Barriers 07/30/2016 03:20 PM CDT
>>However, DR had long has a somewhat bizarre air of secrecy

True, though I think that somewhat enhances the player experience when things are going right. Certainly makes the developers' job harder though!

>>I feel like players could potentially help in more significant ways than chipping in towards pay events and quests

For various legal and business-related reasons I can't see that ever happening. But, that is not something I have any control over or investment in.