Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Inflation? 02/14/2010 05:55 AM CST
Is there an inflation problem?

System-wide prices are fixed.

Prices for player-made consumables have come down or stayed flat for the most part over say the last 3 years.

Prices for extremely rare items - things that would be pricey anyway because of their rarity - have gone up.

Account values have probably gone up on average, but prices in general have not. So where is the inflation?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 09:05 AM CST
>So where is the inflation?

Well, on the rare items. Whether or not that's a problem depends on your perspective I guess.

On the other hand, the creation system rewrite will potentially cause more economic stratification than any change in creature loot.

If they "fix" inflation, the bankroll I'm sitting in will put me in good position in future auctions, heh.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 11:10 AM CST
I think true item insurance would go a long way to helping with inflation.

Take an item into an agent get it registered, pay a base fee. Add to the cost if the item is merchant, altered, and/or auction. Add a large amount in cost if the item id an "old" version that would not be allowed currently. This would become the recurring monthly charge for the insurance.

Add versioning to the item so it only allows the "latest" version of itself to exist. The version is incremented each time a new version needs to be created to replace a lost or destroyed one. The version also serves to add an incremental cost to each subsequent item's insurance cost to discourage sloppy play even with insurance.

If you don't pay your premiums and lose the item, you either have lost it or need to pay the back charges owed.

You can cancel the policy at anytime with no refunds, which will remove the protection from the item as soon as the month is up.

This would allow people to use old, rare, special items on a regular basis without having to worry about crashes, buggy damage mechanics or the lot.

-pete
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 11:15 AM CST
I shouldn't have to pay extra to ensure that my stuff is not lost because of bugs and bad mechanics.

What is happening to most of the items in the game isn't really inflation. The stuff you can get for 10 plat is the same as it was 10 years ago for the most part; as Mazrian points out if anything the price of player-made goods has gone down as they become more available. What has changed is the number of people with large amounts of money available and willing to spend on stuff. But stuff in general has not gotten more expensive in my experience.

Rev. Reene

Xalahai says to you, "Don't you know me? I'm Jhipicalain, the awesomest warrior mage ever."
Xalahai says, "Then I will go hide in my tower where nobody can get to me. Because I am the greatest. Ever."
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 11:24 AM CST
>>But stuff in general has not gotten more expensive in my experience.

So what is that called....when everyone is rich and almost everything is cheap?

Wouldn't actual inflation start fixing the problem? (it may be too far gone though at this point....the inflation wouldn't even dent the extremely rich without screwing over the poor noobs....although they are probably mostly alts anyways heh)

And then there is stealing.....I don't buy most of my stuff anymore anyways.

unfixable "problem" without doing something drastic?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 11:34 AM CST
FDIC insures your account up to 250,000 plat?
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 12:22 PM CST
>I shouldn't have to pay extra to ensure that my stuff is not lost because of bugs and bad mechanics.

Yeah, and how's that working out so far?

Not all of the ways things can be lost are due to either, it would just simplify dealing with anything that comes up in the future instead of having to go through a bureaucracy to see if you can get an item restored.

Got insurance? No problem.

Don't? We'll we have to get a ruling on the exact conditions and even then we're going to just give you base replacement cost no matter how hard the items were to get.

That's been my experience, at least the last time I had item loss -- from a game crash timewarp no less.

While you can naysay the use for dealing with those situations, it wouldn't cover JUST those situations.

-pete
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 01:16 PM CST
I used to collect cards for exactly the reason GM Jaedren said. It was free, easy, little to no risk. I completed several sets of cards and made a few hundred plat off of turning complete sets in. I gave up collecting when higher level critter bundles were bringing me more money with less hassle. I've never collected diras even with my lowbies because it's simply not worth it. The reward isn't nearly enough for me to go chasing after extra diras that I don't currently have. Collect if you want, it's not going to hurt if you don't. It would be nice if there were titles associated with those who do collect diras/cards etc.

Numismatist for one complete set,
Master Numismatist for 3 complete sets,
Card Shark for a complete set of cards...

Then those who are title hungry can go chasing after the title.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 01:31 PM CST
>>Well, on the rare items. Whether or not that's a problem depends on your perspective I guess.<<

I don't know. Most of the people who would complain about it wouldn't be able to afford "expensive" rare stuff even if everyone's bank account had a couple of zeroes lopped off.

Very rare stuff would be expensive anyway, whether "expensive" meant 10 plat, 100 plat, or 1000 plat.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 01:50 PM CST
i'm a bit tired of this topic to make much comment anymore, but I just want to point out:

Any proposal involving essentially one-time costs will never address a recurring phenomenon (inflation).

Recurring costs are unpopular and extremely hard to be reinstated once people are used to it being practically non-existent (weapon repairs in DR vs weapon repairs in almost any other game), but would work if its common and relatively cheap per instance like healing.

Pirates of the Burning Sea has a extremely well controlled economy for and MMO despite being 2(?) years old because of extremely high but sensible recurring costs (money sinks) that matches sources of money generation (poofing from "nothing"), but IMO that's still not addressing the core issue and thus requires constant monitoring/tweaking, but that involves a fundamental level of design of its economic model and cannot be changed once a game is live.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 02:30 PM CST
The only real problem, if there is one, is that expense is meaningless over the course of the game.

The only scarce resource is time - all the others are infinite - and that means the only way to control rarity is through time-locked mechanisms (astral guides) and simply never selling the item (crossbow ammo).

I'm not sure this is necessarily bad. It's a fantasy, isn't it a good thing that the resources in the game will eventually (time permitting) fulfill the wants of the entire playerbase?

In any event, the point is money isn't part of the economy in Dragonrealms, for some actually good reasons, and there's nothing really you can do about it.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 02:51 PM CST
I look at it this way. You've got people in the top 1% because they're capable of being there. Then you've got everyone else who isn't in it either because they're not capable yet or don't have plans on being in it because of RP choice.

In other words,the top 1% is the millioere's of DR. Stop you're complaining and enjoy the fact you're in that crowd regardless of the fact that prices in DR haven't changed since the games creation.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 03:09 PM CST
Instituting actual inflation of player-made goods or whatever is a terrible idea because eventually true newbs would basically be locked out of any decent gear. The idea of true item insurance sounds good but the implementatiosn that were suggested in this thread are hideous: in-game insurance shouldn't mirror real insurance and require players to contact in-game insurance agents to understand freaking video game insurance. No one would use it. A good example of insurance is Eve Online: you pay the fee, you get the refund (or in this case, the item back) by the NPC.

Fun or engagement is the goal of the game's design, and fun is often measured by new reward benchmarks, whether that be new abilities, new gear, or a higher level of in-game wealth. Bemoaning this fact is silly; it's good game design. I disagree with the notion that recurring costs are necessary for a "healthy" game economy.

At the same time, money can't become so inflated that it becomes useless, certainly. Some (hopefully) constructive suggestions:

1) Make citizens-only boats that travel between the mainland and the islands (or the gondola from Shard, or whatever) that appear thrice as frequently and arrive twice as fast. I would pay a monthly fee for this service.

2) Real insurance. A one-time fee, very steep (perhaps weighted somehow), and it gives a replacement of the item. Once you get the replacement, the insurance's terms are complete, and if you want more protection you have to pay the fee again.

I realize #2 is probably harder than it sounds, but the lack of incentive for spending money is not a fault of the players, and they should not somehow be punished for having inflated bank accounts.

"Limited in nature yet infinite in desire - men are like fallen gods."
- Alphonse de Lamartine
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 03:14 PM CST
>In other words,the top 1% is the millioere's of DR. Stop you're complaining and enjoy the fact you're in that crowd regardless of the fact that prices in DR haven't changed since the games creation.

Your argument is akin to saying as long as you have food and shelter nothing else matters. Why do you have a computer and subscription to a text-based game again?

Except in the case of DR, "luxury items" ARE inflating. I remember some things that were only 100 plats 3-4 years ago that were being sold off 1000+ plats recently. These are the kind of things that no "latecomer" to the economy can hope to attain by normal, non-policy breaking, in-game means.

As shocking as it might be there ARE still genuine new subscribers every now and then.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 03:23 PM CST
>Except in the case of DR, "luxury items" ARE inflating. I remember some things that were only 100 plats 3-4 years ago that were being sold off 1000+ plats recently. These are the kind of things that no "latecomer" to the economy can hope to attain by normal, non-policy breaking, in-game means.

I disagree. If you work really hard you can make money. Certain guilds are definitely better for this than others. Thieves in particular have some nice ways to make money pretty early on.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 04:19 PM CST
>>Your argument is akin to saying as long as you have food and shelter nothing else matters. Why do you have a computer and subscription to a text-based game again?

Oh give me a break. When I started this game I decided to make my guys social and have money be a side effect of their hunting. My main creatures of choice were natural creatues instead of bipeds. This has been something I've continued throughout the time I've been in the game if I can find one in their skill range. If I can't then I'll hunt bipeds. Hence the argument you got from me.

As for the subscription remark, I play because I choose to. As for the computers, I've got 3 and they're configured to be used for different purposes.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 04:33 PM CST
I just had an odd thought of a possible way to fix things.

Make all creatures drop the same amount of loot.

Why? Because that would give people a range of options. You can hunt below your level in order to kill faster and gain more loot, but then you don't learn as much (or any). Or you can hunt at level, gain more skill, but less money.

I'm not sure at this late stage it's possible or feasable to do it, nor am I sure I would particularly enjoy it, but if inflation is a problem (and I'm not even sure of that), it's a possible solution.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 04:44 PM CST
>>Except in the case of DR, "luxury items" ARE inflating. I remember some things that were only 100 plats 3-4 years ago that were being sold off 1000+ plats recently. These are the kind of things that no "latecomer" to the economy can hope to attain by normal, non-policy breaking, in-game means.<<

There's really nothing to be done about the accumulation of wealth, though, other than cleaning everybody out periodically. Characters that have been in the game longer have had more opportunity to accumulate money and that's always going to constitute an advantage.

You can still get ahead, though. If you're willing to hustle and have some ingenuity you can get plats if you want them.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 04:56 PM CST
>Make all creatures drop the same amount of loot.

Wouldn't that take away a major perk of advancing up the creature ladder? I mean, it's bad enough that the high end creatures are all natural meaning no gems or boxes. Let's not make the end game more meaningless than it already is.

I mean, I don't even really know where to start with that suggestion.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 05:19 PM CST
>>>Make all creatures drop the same amount of loot.

Interesting idea. I don't think it'd help with high prices though. It would just drive prices higher if someone can sit in field goblins with 500 ranks in weapons to farm money.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 07:25 PM CST
Making all creatures drop the same amount of loot is possibly the worst suggestion I've heard. Sorry but I can't disagree with that concept vehmently enough,

Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 09:09 PM CST
It's A solution. Not necessarily a good one.

People already more or less do it. I've seen some pretty funny excuses for people staying in sand sprites/vines/gryphons/etc. forever.

On the other hand, from a design perspective, what's wrong with making people pick from different forms of reward for their time? You can train, or you can make money. People have always complained that combat is where the money is really at.

It seems like every other system is set up that way, or there's not a choice. You can train swimming / climbing / perception, without an 'or.'

Then again, I don't know that it would be much fun.

Gor'Tog Barbarian
Blunts for Sale:
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 09:14 PM CST
>>It's A solution. Not necessarily a good one.

A solution solves a problem. This wouldn't solve the problem and would likely make it worse. Sure you can make a lot of money in sand sprites but goblins are far easier than even sand sprites and I'm assuming that if this was ever implemented the loot that was dropped would be more on par with gryphons(since they're more of a mid-level creature).
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 09:15 PM CST
The problem is simple:

DR lacks the main way almost every game takes money away from the player: Gear upgrades.

There is no real gear progression. You get the best you can, and you're done. There's no magic weapons. The fancy stuff at fests are both cheap AND usually worse...

So you pay a little cash early and then never again have a real expense to keep yourself equipped through years and years of play.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 09:22 PM CST
>>DR lacks the main way almost every game takes money away from the player: Gear upgrades.

I think i'd rather have the inflation though
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 10:15 PM CST
Has the creation of shops that offered competition to player created items been suggested before?
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 10:26 PM CST
This is a follow up. I'm not talking about throwing the stuff from fests and auctions into these shops. That'd be pointless. I'm talking about taking the market average in everything from price to quality of player made items and then creating items based off of that. Sure, it wouldn't affect the high end market. But it'd offer competition to the mid-range skilled forgers and the other forgers below that level.
Re: Inflation? 02/14/2010 10:32 PM CST
Except the issue isn't the cost of common forged items. It's the fact that people can easily buy what they need and never spend another copper on anything else again.

People end up building up HUGE bank balances that severely skews the prices of anything truely rare.

Some people think that it's okay, some think it's a problem.

Gor'Tog Barbarian
Blunts for Sale:
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 02:44 AM CST
Three points I thought of while reading this thread:

Skins recently received a huge boost in their value, which has put even more plat into the system. I would assume with such a change that inflation is not of concern at the moment. Then again things can always change.

We do have a good yearly money sink in terms of the Festival of the Gods auction, and it's still too early to judge how successful it's being at reducing plats in circulation.

Jaedren is a tightwad. I bet he wouldn't even spend the plats to dress his GMNPCs in awesomesilk.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.
-Inauri
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 06:29 AM CST
My PC is actually a fine example of people having far too much money. I was always happy to spend my money, I just never had anything to spend it on.

GM Jaedren
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 06:32 AM CST
<<I was always happy to spend my money, I just never had anything to spend it on.

This is the same problem I have. I mean its a nice problem to have and all, but I would trade it all for a boat.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 07:39 AM CST
>Skins recently received a huge boost in their value, which has put even more plat into the system. I would assume with such a change that inflation is not of concern at the moment. Then again things can always change.

AKA, but the value of treasure from the creature on par with other creatures of the same difficulty. Before it was pretty random if the skin was worth it or even taught anything near the skills that it took to hunt the critter.

>This is the same problem I have. I mean its a nice problem to have and all, but I would trade it all for a boat.

This. There's several high-end money pits, but all the systems seem to be abandoned or broken, like: boats, spellbooks, and mounts. If these things could be revived, that would serve to drain money out of the economy.

-pete
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 07:44 AM CST
>>My PC is actually a fine example of people having far too much money. I was always happy to spend my money, I just never had anything to spend it on.<<

Isn't this problem more fun than always being fretful about spending money because you never have enough?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 08:26 AM CST
>> Isn't this problem more fun than always being fretful about spending money because you never have enough?

Not always. I remember my early days when buying something useful had meaning. Saving up between two people to afford some tanning supplies.

There are definitely times when it's more fun when you have don't have a thousand plat in your impulse account in Crossings; considering you can purchase effective equipment for any task for nearly nothing.

Forged, crafted, and enchanted goods keep value because groups of players have established a stable market for them. Since they're not fretting to buy anything, they don't have to adjust for market conditions.

The only real variable in the market is the non-craftable, non-common-fest rare goods, which are getting more and more expensive, despite the relative unchange in rarity. That's your inflation.

For most of us, it's never going to be a factor though. Even fest goods have stable prices over the years. I have a collection of Renshear bows and even though he died, I'm able to stock up on more and more every time the tent comes around because the relative cost to me keeps plummeting.

Not a complaint or a request for change. Just a comment. Bank account keeps growing; haven't had to worry about money for essentials since after my 3rd month playing DR; runaway inflation is not real to anyone outside of the ultra-rare item club.

You wave your hand through the mist of the fountain and rub the wetness between your fingertips.

Rivalin says, "Yep, it's water."
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 09:42 AM CST
I don't get your argument. On one hand, you're saying that it was satisfying to have to save up and make difficulty choices about buying items at fests. But on the other hand, doing the same thing for rare items isn't acceptable?

I'll be honest, the web fest sucked for me because I couldn't really afford anything.
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 10:43 AM CST
>>But on the other hand, doing the same thing for rare items isn't acceptable?

It wasn't an argument for or against anything. Two separate statements. Just noting that inflation doesn't become apparent until you look at the price of ultra-rare items. Everything else is more or less stable.

And with that, if I was to look at good/bad/yay on that, then it is sort of sad about something like the boat, which was satisfying and fun being the underdog to try and work my character to the bones to afford. Now it's so astronomical due to the total cut off of supply that it's pointless to try, mainly because the value of bank accounts for the upper-tier of earners has gone through the roof since then.

But yeah, not complaints. Just observations.

You wave your hand through the mist of the fountain and rub the wetness between your fingertips.
Rivalin says, "Yep, it's water."
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 11:41 AM CST
Well, boats started out really expensive. They're astronomical now because they stopped selling them. I think they might need a rewrite before they get released again.
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 02:17 PM CST
They also made a bunch of people go farm plats as well so it probably evened itself out heh. I mean it probably took big chunks of coin from the people that got boats but there were a ton of people farming plats that didn't get to get a boat so it actually probably put more coin in the system than there was before.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 05:49 PM CST
Random 'surprise' auctions could maybe help. Like hey, we are going to be auctioning a boat TOMORROW. Put your plats together cause it is going to be EXPENSIVE! They could also sell rare armor, etc that hasn't been in the system in a while or something, or alterations, randomly. Like a merchant that wanders into town and has a sword for sale for 50000 plats, along with some other things.

Maybe plats for stats? Limit it to 5 per circle at exorbitant prices..and if you have so many stats at circle maybe none per circle to avoid unbalancing the system.
Re: Inflation? 02/15/2010 05:51 PM CST
>Maybe plats for stats? Limit it to 5 per circle at exorbitant prices..and if you have so many stats at circle maybe none per circle to avoid unbalancing the system.

Please do not ever, do this. This would just spike up plat-farming activity in anticipation.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4