Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
Making money the oblivious way 07/10/2012 09:14 PM CDT
From the thread about LTBs..

>>Except I have no interest in taking my chars beyond 100th and even less to play just to make virtual money :\

Honestly, I think it's just a matter of hunting a lot, opening boxes if possible, and doing work orders every so often. The money just eventually adds up.

My current character has been around for a touch over 20 months. She's now in the mid 80s. The hardest boxes she tends to work on are quartz gargoyle/adan'f, and the hardest mob I seriously hunt are young gryphons, and that's just as of the last month. She has over 5k Plat Kro in various accounts. And that's with me believing that I don't really hunt as much as some more serious people.

Meanwhile, my Paladin from forever ago who I played for 5+ years probably doesn't even have a tenth of that. Go figure. But I didn't have him hunt as much.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/10/2012 10:52 PM CDT
Low end and High End income is absurdly lopsided. New EXP has really mitigated this factor by putting 30th circle easily within reach of 5 or so weeks. At that point, making a plat isn't so hard. a few blood wolf bundles tops gets you there. In about a year, you can hit 100+ and depending on what you hunt clear hundreds of plats a day, 1000s a week.

Essentially everybody will eventually have access to absurd amounts of plats. It only takes a year or two with current loot tables and new EXP. The upside is, at the end of the day personal valuation over actual wealth will more often determine the winner of an auction. If everybody has 30--50kp, they're only going to spend that kind of coin if they think something is worth it.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/10/2012 11:24 PM CDT
>doing work orders every so often

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, continue.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/10/2012 11:30 PM CDT
>doing work orders every so often<

for my empath, that's her primary source of income.

--
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/10/2012 11:31 PM CDT
>for my empath, that's her primary source of income.

I'm sorry to hear it.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 12:19 AM CDT
>>AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A couple plat an hour is fine by me.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 07:15 AM CDT
Coin generation in the game is broken and needs to be nerfed.

Right up to when I left I was making 2-3000+ platinum kronars a day with just one character, granted I wasn't learning any beneficial combat skills or anything though. It can be done if you're underhunting and are able to one-shot whatever it is you're hunting every 1-2 seconds, assuming you have a non-stop stream of enemies.

Nerf it.

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 07:25 AM CDT
no.

whereas your character may have accumlated that much by hunting on the high end, not every character is at that level.

While I train a number of characters, none of them standing alone is rich by any means.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 08:18 AM CDT
>AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You can easily make several plat per day at 50 ML. That's pretty significant to people with 50 ML.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 09:11 AM CDT
>>Coin generation in the game is broken and needs to be nerfed.

Coin generation isn't the issue. It's more that when you're notably high level you've essentially stopped needing to buy things at same time when you start making notably high amounts of money.

Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 09:33 AM CDT
>>Coin generation isn't the issue. It's more that when you're notably high level you've essentially stopped needing to buy things at same time when you start making notably high amounts of money.<<

You don't even need to be notably high. Once you've gotten all forged gear, you don't really need to do anything more for gear outside of the occasional repair. Other than that, all that's left is fluff.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 09:47 AM CDT
>>You don't even need to be notably high. Once you've gotten all forged gear, you don't really need to do anything more for gear outside of the occasional repair. Other than that, all that's left is fluff.

True. I mean, even if I wasn't in CommieRealms (Plat), I think I'd be pretty much done when it comes to what my character really needs.

Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 10:38 AM CDT
>>Right up to when I left I was making 2-3000+ platinum kronars a day with just one character, granted I wasn't learning any beneficial combat skills or anything though. It can be done if you're underhunting and are able to one-shot whatever it is you're hunting every 1-2 seconds, assuming you have a non-stop stream of enemies.

>>Nerf it.

Enjoy the gravy train while it lasts, I would say, because I anticipate 3.0 will be a huge nerf to high level income, since the dynamic is supposedly changing from one-shotting enemies while dancing with 4 at melee to much slower, more protracted engagements with ~2 at melee at a time.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 01:35 PM CDT
>>Beveragek: Coin generation in the game is broken and needs to be nerfed.

You can nerf coin generation, but all that will accomplish is making it harder for characters who haven't yet "made it" to catch up to those who have.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 02:11 PM CDT
I think the game would be better served if we addressed this from the other end: add more useful things to spend your plats on in different price ranges (5-10 plat, 50-100 plat, 200-500 plat, etc.)
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 02:47 PM CDT
>>You can nerf coin generation, but all that will accomplish is making it harder for characters who haven't yet "made it" to catch up to those who have.

How so? I'm not sure how this is true if you're nerfing everyone across the board. We'd simply be redrawing the line for success, which is sorely needed IMO.

>>I think the game would be better served if we addressed this from the other end: add more useful things to spend your plats on in different price ranges (5-10 plat, 50-100 plat, 200-500 plat, etc.)

What exactly would you suggest? We have two festivals a year and tens of thousands of plats are spent and that's really only drops in the bucket. Once you have a weapon and armor you're pretty much set for life besides trivial repair costs.

Also, inflation is so rampant at the upper levels of combat that the game would benefit from a couple more magnitudes of currency (1 plat = 10 diamonds, 10 diamonds = 1 unobtanium or whatever) to let some of the upper prices make more sense, especially at auctions.

People are just making too much money, period (in my opinion). Like high-level combat, the currency system was designed in mind with a game that capped around a couple hundred ranks, when a plat was a lot of money. Like I said though, redrawing the line for success isn't really hurting you if you're making half as much money but repair costs, forged good costs, etc. are refigured to account for this lower income generation.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 02:50 PM CDT
>>Also, inflation is so rampant at the upper levels of combat that the game would benefit from a couple more magnitudes of currency (1 plat = 10 diamonds, 10 diamonds = 1 unobtanium or whatever) to let some of the upper prices make more sense, especially at auctions.

Yes please, might make stealing worth a damn again.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 03:21 PM CDT
>>How so? I'm not sure how this is true if you're nerfing everyone across the board. We'd simply be redrawing the line for success, which is sorely needed IMO.

While future coin generation is across the board, that will only add to the higher disparity between those who already have bazillions of Plats versus those who don't, because while the former group will be bottlenecked from getting bazillions more, the latter will never be able to reach that level at all (theoretically).

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take the plunge, anyway, but it's worth recognizing the issue that will form.

Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 03:28 PM CDT
If enough plat sinks could be created, it might make coin generation nerfing less needed. But the question has always been what could be done. I think some of the premie perks could be opened up to the general population at large plat costs, i.e. increased vault space but for like 100 plat/month for the max premie size, quick vault transfers for 20-50 plat. Even housing to me is something that could be opened up to non premies at a large monthly plat cost.

For general money drain for all account types, how about some ships with the same arrival and departure destinations, but take a significantly shorter time to reach, but make the fare significant. I'm sure there would be a good deal of people will to put down 20 plat+ for a 5 minute ride between ratha and crossing or m'riss and leth for instance.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 03:53 PM CDT
How about letting players spend their coins on things similar to the LTB benefits. Like free access to healers for a month, or special one way portals to any place in Elanthia. Basically, services and not items. Maybe the prices of these services can scale or automatically adjust depending on usage or popularity? I dunno, just some ideas.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 04:51 PM CDT

All I have is skinning to make coin and I make a little over 60 plat lirums a day, and I pretty much hunt all day every day. But I admit thats with me just skinning when it absorbs down from mindlocked.

<(1 plat = 10 diamonds, 10 diamonds = 1 unobtanium or whatever)>

I guess the real question is.

How much unobtanium would I need for my Captain America shield?
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 05:16 PM CDT
They're already scaling back the biggest no-no zone in the game(Skills). Scaling back high level plat production would do wonders for the game. You'll never get rid of people who farm plats.

And I don't think Simu should ever meddle in these affairs, anyways - if they aren't AFK, they aren't breaking any rules.

Instead of scaling back all at once though, do it in steps. That way, the economy can adjust properly. Do it over a period of like, a year. Scale EVERYTHING hunting-related back, above the 50% mark(Skinning, boxes, gems). Equally, by a percentage. That'd be the easiest way to implement such a wide-scale change.

FWIW

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 06:20 PM CDT
I had a series of posts titled "On - XXXX", one of which revolved around the economy. The idea presented was simply a "prestige tax" based on circle and wealth with a corresponding reduction (step or otherwise) in wealth generation IG.

Pros:

1. It gets wealth out of the system.

2. It applies to everything (including auctions) so it levels the playing field for high-budget items.

3. I am sure there is a hole for "gaming" the system, but this is just the shell of an idea presently.

Cons:

1. It treats people way different. Madigan for example would be a max circle adventurer with a considerable amount of wealth. As a result, the widget he wants to purchase costs +60% (made up increase for purposes of this example), where as Evyln a 1st circle trader with no wealth would pay the standard cost for the widget.

Sounds complicated but it is a simple +x% factor based on a formula of wealth + circle = factor.

Really just creating a method of making a tax bracket, nothing more. I doubt anyone wants to be "taxed" in an on-line game. But, it certainly removes wealth and handles the issue of "people that haven't been around long can no longer generate tons of plats to compete".

2. Yeah, why should my 1 plat be different than another persons' one plat? Heh. Now, that would be an interesting discussion I suppose.

Madigan
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 06:42 PM CDT

@Madigan what it takes for you to make one plat, and another to make the same 1 plat could be an hour vs one mob...so extrapolate that out...say you get 30 mobs in an hour, said other person would need 30 hours...

I suppose a way to do things is figure out a system when all mobs pay the same....give folks at 30 at least a chance to keep up with the 150th's...just genereric gem/coin spawn....course I realize this likely wouldn't work cause why woul a goblin have the same wealth as a sky giant....just a theory
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 10:02 PM CDT
<<It only takes a year or two with current loot tables and new EXP>>

A year or two is a long time.

I still find stuff to blow 6K and 7K plats on every now and then. Look, there isn't an easy answer here because in game economies can never balance. They can throw in more plat sinks, but otherwise I'm not sure what to tell you. The problem is a viedeo game isn't real life. We can't swing at a dillo for 10 hours and skin it, and in a few weeks be a millionaire. Real life is more complex. Back to plat sinks 1K for a jump jewel to crossing and back comes to mind, but I'm pretty sure Moonies would have a fit.

I hate the tax idea. I pay a ton of tax in real life.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/11/2012 11:50 PM CDT
>>Neeld: I had a series of posts titled "On - XXXX", one of which revolved around the economy. The idea presented was simply a "prestige tax" based on circle and wealth with a corresponding reduction (step or otherwise) in wealth generation IG.

I'm not a fan of taxes. If inflation is a problem, I'd rather see plat sinks in the form of services that people actually want to use, rather than simply taxing everyone. A "success tax" is probably not a good way to retain players anyway, especially at the end game when many players feel banished to the islands with little to do.

There are lots of ways to implement plat sinks that people would want to use. We've already seen how people are willing to dump insane amounts of money into games of chance, for example, and many people would pay a lot for access to better transportation.

Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 01:56 AM CDT
>>While future coin generation is across the board, that will only add to the higher disparity between those who already have bazillions of Plats versus those who don't, because while the former group will be bottlenecked from getting bazillions more, the latter will never be able to reach that level at all (theoretically).

Yes, the the "old" money will likely be sitting on tens of thousands of plats when income generation is nerfed, but this is a finite resource that will eventually make its way out of the economy. Even if they don't spend most of it, that money is essentially dead weight, and not affecting the Dragonrealms economy like it would in a real economy.

I recognize that there will probably be a period of transition, but a couple fests at the "old" prices and a couple auctions after income has dropped should stabilize things well enough. The longer the current economic model exists, the worse it will be for the "have-nots." Being reluctant to take the plunge becaue player X has thousands and thousands of plats fails to recognize that flattening the bell curve drastically works out in favor of the DR middle class, not the people hunting intercessors.

Let's say you can make 50 plats a day and Bob the lvl 170-equivalent Warmie can make 500. Well, every day that you're making 50 and Bob's making 500, the gap gets bigger and bigger. This has steadily happened over the course of a half-decade, with auction prices jumping 10x as much. There will always be someone with more money; the economy needs fixing now before it's hopelessly broken at the top end versus just horribly broken.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 07:21 AM CDT

1. <<Once you have a weapon and armor you're pretty much set for life besides trivial repair costs.>>

not necessarily. One reason I bid on, and purchased the "armor-fixer thing" in the latest fest auction is because of the repair cost i have with my barbarian character. She has a roar helm. Every time i get that thing repaired it costs quite a bit. So.... this is a way to deal with it.

Also, to many players there are different degrees of what they consider "necessities". One mans "need" is another mans "fluff", and all that. For me, I like to decorate and furnish all my characters houses. So... that may be fluff, but to me, that's part of the enjoyment I get out of my extended "family'.

2. Other issue "been playing since 96- coin was harder to make" --
I beg to disagree. I also started playing in 96. It used to be that if you went to Swamp trolls in riverhaven, they dropped Golds. These days you have to get up to about raider/germishdin level to see a gold coin in a box, unless you're lucky enough to get one of those "super" boxes. As someone who has characters though the spectrum - both high end boxes and low - I can assure you - the coinage was definately higher "back then".

3. Plat sinks. Bring back boat sales. To avoid them being a drain on resources, or an eyesore, when they aren't in use, have them like trader POCs. Instead of a stable, you have a marina. So the boat essentially "disappears" when you aren't on-line, or you don't have it out. You have to "ask Dockworker for boat" like you get a caravan. The "customization", much like the caravan again. What you have though is the "name" of the boat, instead of a "bumpersticker" on the caravan. And storage on your boat is handled much the same way as storage of commodities or items in your storage box on the caravan when you stable it. The exception would be "house-boats" in which some players have purchased, those particular ones would be stored similar to how houses are, and would not be able to be "stabled" in the marina.

The only thing different is gem pouches, so it "seems" higher when you actually get 'em all sold. And plus traders with the talent to get you those extra coinage is a benefit as well.

/---
Leucius
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 08:12 AM CDT
Boats are described by GMs as being a cthulian nightmare. Don't hedge your bets on getting them as 'plat sinks'.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 08:26 AM CDT
>>3. Plat sinks. Bring back boat sales. To avoid them being a drain on resources, or an eyesore, when they aren't in use, have them like trader POCs. Instead of a stable, you have a marina. So the boat essentially "disappears" when you aren't on-line, or you don't have it out. You have to "ask Dockworker for boat" like you get a caravan. The "customization", much like the caravan again. What you have though is the "name" of the boat, instead of a "bumpersticker" on the caravan. And storage on your boat is handled much the same way as storage of commodities or items in your storage box on the caravan when you stable it. The exception would be "house-boats" in which some players have purchased, those particular ones would be stored similar to how houses are, and would not be able to be "stabled" in the marina.

The mechanics are vastly different.

In order to make Boats work like POCs you'd need to entirely rewrite the system from the ground up. Which is the same thing it's needed since we first started limiting boat sales.

Right now the amount of resources used by a single ship is on par with most cities in the game. That's an issue.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 12:48 PM CDT

<<Right now the amount of resources used by a single ship is on par with most cities in the game. That's an issue.>>

That's pretty insane!
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 04:02 PM CDT
>>the amount of resources used by a single ship is on par with most cities in the game.

Heh. Now all boats I see are going to conjure up images of that supertanker that Dennis Hopper captains in Waterworld.

And I will be amused for ages.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 04:31 PM CDT

Every time this discussion comes up- and it comes up at least every year for the last 10 years- I wonder:

"What is the problem?"

So people can make lots of money if they hunt a lot. My characters don't but why should I care?

This doesn't affect my character at all. Flavius has everything he wants or needs. He succeeded buying something once in one auction but he didn't need it- its pure fluff.

Inflation? Every character in the game can still buy good stuff with minimal resources. You don't need that 1500 plat sword or 3000 plat plate armor. Good for you if you want it and can afford it.

Any solution I have seen about imposing things on people would make it worse for everyone.

So what I would like to see are more ways to spend money on things that people with more money than Apu would want to spend it on. Maybe I would find something that Flavius would like.

But not on things we need, not mandatory- not because anyone feels there is just too much money.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/12/2012 05:13 PM CDT
>So people can make lots of money if they hunt a lot. My characters don't but why should I care? ALDEN

This pretty much sums up my feelings on this subjuct. Some people like to watch their skill numbers go up. Some people like to RP with people. Some people like to watch their bank account go up.

Shrug...To each their own.

Dierik

To be fair, I've always privately characterized Burn as an orbital death laser. Armifer
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/13/2012 12:34 AM CDT
>>Alden: So people can make lots of money if they hunt a lot. My characters don't but why should I care? This doesn't affect my character at all. Flavius has everything he wants or needs. He succeeded buying something once in one auction but he didn't need it- its pure fluff. Inflation? Every character in the game can still buy good stuff with minimal resources.

I tend to agree with you on whether inflation is really harmful to the game. I think the "market" does a pretty good job of setting the prices of player-supplied goods.

Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/13/2012 03:30 AM CDT

I shouldnt be complaining but since returning to DR and starting new, I have already come across 4 or 5 "super" boxes. One had 5 plat and none of these boxes higher than wood trolls. I
Never saw this from 96-02 or in any of the random years i played between then and now.
Point is, its way easier to make money now and im afraid it has something to do with inflation. I suppose i will find out as i level.
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/15/2012 05:31 AM CDT
>> 2. Other issue "been playing since 96- coin was harder to make" --
I beg to disagree. I also started playing in 96. It used to be that if you went to Swamp trolls in riverhaven, they dropped Golds. These days you have to get up to about raider/germishdin level to see a gold coin in a box, unless you're lucky enough to get one of those "super" boxes. As someone who has characters though the spectrum - both high end boxes and low - I can assure you - the coinage was definately higher "back then".

With the exception of the old broken Kelpie boxes... Not a chance in the world. Money is FAR easier to make nowadays - and the effort required to reach Raider/Germish'din level is much less(offline drain ftw). As someone with characters on both far ends of the spectrum, and as someone who sold plats for years...

Yea, no.

If they hadn't nerfed straight-picking, this conversation would be reaching new levels of absurdity what with the new box loot system. But even given that nerf, it's still much easier.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/15/2012 07:06 AM CDT
ya, pick-thru made it much easier. :-). people like me and addlestone used to stand around and just pick, pick/drag, pick/drag, pick/drag , pick/drag.

/---
Leucius
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/18/2012 07:44 PM CDT
There can be more plat sinks/stuff to buy etc.

But the coin generation most definately needs turned down a notch or two IMO. I heard 3.0 will slow down combat so that may help some. It will also slow down training I guess.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Making money the oblivious way 07/21/2012 11:40 AM CDT
A little late to the party here. I always find the economy talk humorous. If you tweak down what drops from critters, you'll still have people who hunt a heck of a lot more making a heck of a lot more in comparison to those who hunt less. Even then, the people who hunt less will cry at the "injustice." And critter ladder progression should never generate the same coin across the board. That's a terrible idea that I've never seen employed in any game I have ever played. I'll never quite get what drives peoples' minds to feel cheated and a sense of heavy unfairness in a game. If you want more coin so badly, progress. If you want more ranks so badly, progress. It's on you. The opportunities are open to all of us. If you don't want to work for it at all, dish out your ten bucks for your 1000 plat kronar or go and buy your HLC. Both of those are highly deflated markets. Hey, if it makes you feel better, the inflated market (for fake money) has heavily deflated the market where people are profiting at lowered margins.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5