Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Barbarians 3.1 12/08/2013 05:03 PM CST
Howdy folks. Few things here for Barbarians -

* Expertise Skill

Expertise will be grandfathered to any who log into DRT at the level necessary for you to circle.

Expertise is currently trained in 2 ways - Maneuvers and Self Analyze Combos.

Expertise is contested against the enemy when a maneuver is used. If successful, you'll see yourself roll into a better position. This reduces the downtime on the maneuver, and recovers a small amount of IF. Other effects may be added over time.

Barbarians can ANALYZE FLAME, ACCURACY, DAMAGE, INTIMIDATION, FATIGUE, BALANCE, VITALITY, RAGE or CALM, depending on how much Expertise you possess.

Flame gives an IF boost when successfully completed.

Accuracy and Damage should be straight-forward.

Intimidation prevents retreating for a short period of time.

Fatigue reduces the amount by which weapon attack fatigue you (will be expanded to include other sources of fatigue in time)

Balance reduces balance lost from combat.

Vitality recovers some lost vitality in combat.

Rage allows the next Berserk to be used at reduced IF cost.

Calm allows the next meditation to be used at reduced IF cost.

A small amount of Expertise is awarded for starting a special combo. A large amount is awarded for finishing them. A cooldown will prevent you from chaining the same one over-and-over.

* New Mastery Skills trainable by old "dance" trainers. These include:

Predator Path

Duelist - passive IF regen increase when not doing anything.
Tribalist - +debilitation skill, reduces IF cost of forms.

Horde Path

Titan - +Augmention Skill, Reduces cost of berserking
Strategos - much more IF from kills, unlocks roar area

Flame Path

Powermonger - +Inner Fire skill, more precise IF readings, +15% IF passive regen
Yogi - allows meditation without penalty* while standing, at reduced penalty* in combat, reduces cost of meditating

* Changes to abilities

Monkey form now pulses a balance boost and costs 2 slots

Tenacity was increased to 2 slots

Contemplation is now an Armor and Augmentation boost

* In Progress

Wildfire will still bonus agility, and now occasionally reduce the RT of an attack, and cost 3 slots.

Tsunami will change to improve balance and highest weapon stat.

Wolverine will be getting buffed. At the high end it will allow some sort of occasional jump, like the old swan did.

More analyze options

Remaining mastery skills

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Barbarians 3.1 12/08/2013 09:34 PM CST
We getting a free run of the new masteries and such?
Also while I'm here. I read something in the magic folder about buffs not being stackable. Does that affect us barbs, and if so in what ways?

Hey you dang woodchucks! Quit chucking my wood!
Re: Barbarians 3.1 12/08/2013 10:36 PM CST

Can't wait to dork out on test
Re: Barbarians 3.1 12/08/2013 11:06 PM CST
Buffs have never been stackable?

Yes, masteries are live but you do need to buy them with 4 slots. Unlearning is still cheap.

Let me think about Tusnami and Wildfire a bit.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Barbarians 3.1 12/09/2013 09:41 AM CST
With contemplation up when I use EXP MODS I see all armor types listed as getting a boost, even though I am only wearing brig, and light. Is this supposed to be that way, or should I only see boosts to those i am wearing?

Hey you dang woodchucks! Quit chucking my wood!
Re: Barbarians 3.1 12/10/2013 12:24 AM CST
I didn't have time/energy/motivation to have it bonus only the armor types you are wearing. So I just bonus them all. No reason not to, really.

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/04/2014 11:30 PM CST
Why was contemplation changed? Armor and augmentation? Seriously? Could the armor component at least be a boost to armor stats, not ranks?

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/04/2014 11:46 PM CST
I've been trying to think of a better niche for Contemplation. Had what I believe was an interesting idea, then I forgot what it was. I blame the anesthesia :(

Armor skill does boost how well the armor protects you, though it is hard for players to conceptualize.

One idea might be to swap Armor for Expertise and have it reduce maneuver cooldowns a bit?

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 01:29 AM CST
>One idea might be to swap Armor for Expertise and have it reduce maneuver cooldowns a bit?

::Swoon::
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 02:36 AM CST
How comes Dirvish? I am really looking forward to that one and its fix to all the glancing hits whirl gives now.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 11:05 AM CST
Can anyone test and see if maneuvers are still giving glancing hits (maneuvers, not whirl). I found another bug in the special attack core, but its nasty and again I am not sure my fix worked.

Dervish and the other remaining Masteries just take time to develop, and I am juggling too many darn things.

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 11:47 AM CST
First interaction with this gryphon, 356 HE, 315 Exper

>mane cleave
You lower your shoulders and steady your weapon.
>
Dashing in, you attempt to cleave a fledgling forest gryphon in half!

Your broadsword lands an overwhelming strike to a fledgling forest gryphon's neck!
A fledgling forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.
With expert skill you end the attack and maneuver into a better position.

[You're nimbly balanced]
Roundtime: 7 sec.
>

Heh, soo... Maybe a bit OP? I'm not sure how it's scaling, and that taught 3 tics Expertise.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 11:49 AM CST
And further testing;

DOUBLE did heavy and very heavy, CRASH did extremely heavy, IMPALE did very heavy. So, at that range at least, I'm not seeing the glancing bug.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 11:55 AM CST
Bloody hell! With what you are juggling, you should win the World Juggling Champion Ships. I am trying to be patient. Really I am. I will ask again next month. GO KODIUS!

______
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 12:01 PM CST
Just went in there Kodius and got the below results. Maybe it is just me!

> maneu double
Taking a full step back, you plant your feet and ready both your weapons.
>
You rush at a granite gargoyle, lashing out with your axe!

Your sterak axe lands a glancing (1/23) strike to a granite gargoyle's left arm!
Your attack momentum continues with a second strike of your axe!

Your tunneler's axe lands a glancing (1/23) strike to a granite gargoyle's abdomen!

[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
Roundtime: 5 sec.

> maneu cleave
>
* A granite gargoyle pounds at you. You block solidly with a dented audrualm shield embossed with Kertigen's raven.
[You're winded, solidly balanced and in better position.]
>
Dashing in, you attempt to cleave a granite gargoyle in half!

Your sterak axe lands a glancing (1/23) strike to a granite gargoyle's chest!

[You're winded, solidly balanced and in better position.]

> maneu double
Taking a full step back, you plant your feet and ready both your weapons.
>
The granite gargoyle begins to advance on you!
The granite gargoyle is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
>
You rush at a granite gargoyle, lashing out with your axe!

Your sterak axe lands a glancing (1/23) strike to a granite gargoyle's right leg!
Your attack momentum continues with a second strike of your axe!

Your tunneler's axe lands a glancing (1/23) strike to a granite gargoyle's right arm!

[You're solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]

> maneu cleave
>
* A granite gargoyle pounds at you. You dodge.
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
>
The granite gargoyle closes to pole weapon range on you!
>
Swiftly, you attempt to cleave through a granite gargoyle with your axe!

Your sterak axe lands a glancing (1/23) strike to a granite gargoyle's left hand!

[You're solidly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]

Sterak axe in left hand Tunnlers axe in left hand. Crossings gargs.

______
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 01:10 PM CST
How do the young gryphons APPRAISE CAREFUL to you?

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 02:16 PM CST
was in granite gargoyles.. here is their app.. I will run up and app young gryphons if you want me to.

[Monastery, Drained Field]
Ruined stalks of corn lie crushed in the dirt, the ears torn from the stem and cast haphazardly about.
You also see a granite gargoyle.
Obvious paths: north, east, south, down.

> app garg careful
You are certain that the granite gargoyle is healthy.
You are certain that it is a great deal weaker than you are.
You are certain that it is a great deal less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is far less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is a great deal less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is far less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a dented audrualm shield embossed with Kertigen's raven and a polished tyrium sterak axe shaped like Kertigen's raven, you are certain that the granite gargoyle is a very easy opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a polished tyrium sterak axe shaped like Kertigen's raven, you are certain that the granite gargoyle is a creature completely beneath your notice.
If you attacked with a polished tyrium sterak axe shaped like Kertigen's raven, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you threw the axe at the enemy you are certain that it would train quite badly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train quite badly.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train quite badly.

______
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 02:32 PM CST
>How do the young gryphons APPRAISE CAREFUL to you?

W/ HE
You are certain that the young forest gryphon is healthy.
You are certain that it is somewhat weaker than you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is apparently as disciplined as you are.
You are certain that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is about as conditioned as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a steel medium shield and a kertig broadsword, you are certain that the young forest gryphon is a slightly less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a kertig broadsword, you are certain that the young forest gryphon is a harmless opponent.
If you attacked with a kertig broadsword, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you threw the broadsword at the enemy you are certain that it would train exceptionally well, but you probably won't be landing many blows.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train rather well.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train very well, provided you can affect it..

W/ HB
You are certain that the young forest gryphon is healthy.
You are certain that the young forest gryphon is slightly fatigued.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a steel medium shield and a steel morning star, you are certain that the young forest gryphon is a slightly less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a steel morning star, you are certain that the young forest gryphon is a harmless opponent.
If you attacked with a steel morning star, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you threw the star at the enemy you are certain that it would train exceptionally well, but you probably won't be landing many blows.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train rather well.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train very well, provided you can affect it..

w/ Polearm
u are certain that the young forest gryphon is healthy.
You are certain that the young forest gryphon is slightly fatigued.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a steel medium shield and a steel glaive, you are certain that the young forest gryphon is a slightly less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a steel glaive, you are certain that the young forest gryphon is an easy opponent.
If you attacked with a steel glaive, you are certain that the enemy would train rather well.
If you threw the glaive at the enemy you are certain that it would train exceptionally well, but you probably won't be landing many blows.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 03:24 PM CST
<<I've been trying to think of a better niche for Contemplation. Had what I believe was an interesting idea, then I forgot what it was. I blame the anesthesia :(>>

Why touch contemplation at all? It seems to me to be one of the better meditations we have.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 06:07 PM CST
Contemplation used to boost overall defense. Buffs are not allowed to boost overall defense in 3.1. Barbarians already have defensive boosters for the other skills.

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 06:24 PM CST
How about contemplation boosting/allowing an x% chance to parry ranged weapons?!

______
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 07:00 PM CST
<<Contemplation used to boost overall defense. Buffs are not allowed to boost overall defense in 3.1. Barbarians already have defensive boosters for the other skills.>>

In the shape of forms/berserks. I think people would really like to see a meditation that boosted defenses, I know I would.

How about making it boost evasion and shield? Or just shield along with a balance boost? Or defending (multi) with shield?
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 08:13 PM CST
Would it not be more in-line with Barb skillsets to make it parry + something, rather than 'everything but parry'? I know parry's the crappiest defense, but it's still in barbs primary wheelhouse.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 08:19 PM CST
I don't think anybody really wants another parry booster. More flexibility in arranging a defense that's actually important (evasion,shield) is what I think the vast majority of people would prefer.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 09:12 PM CST
+1

I think the expertise buff and maneuver cooldown reduction is an awesome idea. Please make it so.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 10:15 PM CST
Maybe a bonus to how much of a penalty each analyze can provide along with a passive message showing what the next hit needs to be?

That way, you can analyze fewer times before providing a maximum penalty, and if for whatever reason you don't want to analyze just to remember what move you need to do next, landing any hit on an analyzed target will tell you what the next step can be. I assume that as barbarian experience-specific combos come along, that can also help there.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/05/2014 11:11 PM CST
Expertise boosting ability sounds awesome, but not at the cost of our defensive meditation.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 05:37 AM CST
What's the issue with contemplation boosting armor ranks? Just curious.

>>Could the armor component at least be a boost to armor stats, not ranks?

I do like the idea of armor stats getting a bump. Maybe dump the augmentation part and bonus armor ranks and stats.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 07:39 AM CST
What would Expertise boosting do for us, aside from potentially allow us to use a higher range self-analyze a bit early? As it stands, it seems like all maneuvers teach 3 tics of Expertise and do impressive damage.

A reduction to the maneuver cooldown timer (or reduction to the charge timer) would be neat.

That said, I feel our defensive buffing is a little lackluster for options, and having the choice to go 'moar defensive' with two meditations seems one that's important to give to barbarians. What about treating it like a physical damage reducing barrier?
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 08:02 AM CST
Anyone have a comprehensive list of the buffs that are changing and any new abilities and what they will be doing (Besides contemplation as that seems to be undecided)?

Excluding what is on this list, can we assume that elanthipedia has the correct buffs and what they do?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 04:20 PM CST
<<What's the issue with contemplation boosting armor ranks? Just curious.>>

To see the equivalent of an increase in one app level of absorption is on the order of 400 ranks. I can't see how an armor rank buff would be worth a slot at all to us.

I really, really, really hope that contemplation remains a quality defensive boost, as it's something needed within the meditations grouping.

Evasion ranks, shield ranks, armor stats, any of those would be cool.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 04:48 PM CST
Is there any issue with having it behave as a standard physical barrier? I'm not sure if it fits thematically perhaps?
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 05:00 PM CST
>To see the equivalent of an increase in one app level of absorption is on the order of 400 ranks.

Seriously? Do you have a source for this? I thought that armor skill was compared to the offense of what you're fighting now, so if you're over hunting a rank boost could be pretty significant?

And isn't the main thing that armor ranks affect protection, not absorption?
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 05:09 PM CST
>Is there any issue with having it behave as a standard physical barrier? I'm not sure if it fits thematically perhaps?

Because barbs already have one, and the GMs are attempting to rework/remove the barriers as is? Kodius has said/hinted pretty strongly that they are grossly overpowered.

The fact that every guild 'needs' one, if not five, is a pretty good indicator.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 05:24 PM CST
<<Seriously? Do you have a source for this? I thought that armor skill was compared to the offense of what you're fighting now, so if you're over hunting a rank boost could be pretty significant?>>

It was mentioned in combat some time ago, but essentially 400 ranks in a specific armor function like a level increase in absorption was the gist. Maybe someone has a link.

<<And isn't the main thing that armor ranks affect protection, not absorption?>>

Yes, but protection isn't jack relative to absorption.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 05:49 PM CST
Protection can provide total damage elimination. Absorption cannot. You must pass a skillcheck to get the benefit of protection.

Example -

10 incoming damage.

Pass the skillcheck, protection removes 9 damage. Absorption removes 1 damage, you take 0 damage.

10 incoming damage.

Fail the skillcheck, absorption removes 3 damage. You take 7.

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 05:51 PM CST
As for Contemplation - Barbarians already get buffs to all 3 defenses. Evasion and Parry as Forms, and Shield as a Berserk. We aren't allowed to double-up on a buff, leaving me unsure of what it might possibly do.

Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 05:55 PM CST
<<As for Contemplation - Barbarians already get buffs to all 3 defenses. Evasion and Parry as Forms, and Shield as a Berserk. We aren't allowed to double-up on a buff, leaving me unsure of what it might possibly do.>>

How about nixing the shield buff in berserk form, and moving over to contemplation? Then moving the "armor" bonus over to a berserk, where the more severe limitations could justify giving us a temporary armor "stat" booster.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 06:03 PM CST
>>How about nixing the shield buff in berserk form, and moving over to contemplation?

^This.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/06/2014 06:58 PM CST
No, I'm not playing musical chairs with all of the Barbarian abilities. Need to find something else for it to do.

Prev_page Previous 1 3 4