1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 07:22 AM CST
Codiax - DA does that.

Though all in all thats not a bad idea either, giving Contemplation a DA-style effect boosting protection and absorbs of worn armors. Might be worth considering tossing in a gear damage avoidance thing too somewhere.

Samsaren
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 09:46 AM CST
>Why not just leave it as an armor buff? Armor skill DOES do something, yes?

I haven't tested it myself, but warrior mages have found it underwhelming. They have an armor skill buff in YS.

It's hard to say empirically when the primary purpose for ranks once you get your guild's min hindrance is to buff armor protection, and I doubt anyone wants to tally a sample of 1000 hits with and without the buff to see how much it helps.

>I would have to discuss the 2HE penalty removal with others. Paladins would need something comparable, as they are technically best-suited for using shields of all the Guilds.

This would be pretty freakin' great.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 12:35 PM CST
"I think that's fair, I also think it's thematically fitting that Barbs/Paladins get a small perk in the use of 2he/bows with shields."

Yes, Yes. A thousand times yes!

The same way Paladins are masters of shields, barbarians are masters of weapons.

So at the very least I would think there should be no penalty for those guilds when using shields and weapons.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 09:55 PM CST
<I think that's fair, I also think it's thematically fitting that Barbs/Paladins get a small perk in the use of 2he/bows with shields.

Sure if the paladin wears a small shield. You don't see many paladins in any other setting wielding a 2 handed weapon and a wall shield. I could see barbarians getting a bonus to 2 handed weapons since they are forced to use a smaller shield type.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 10:23 PM CST
I don't think you can arm wear a wall shield.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 10:38 PM CST
Well if not a wall shield, than a large shield type. You get my point. Barbarians cannot use a large shield arm worn, therefor why would paladins get the 2he bonus while being able to. I'm not really trying to bash on paladins or anything but I just think it would be a good natural weapon perk for barbarians. I also don't currently play a barbarian so i'm just trying to rationalize not based on guild.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 11:10 PM CST
All this ability would do is negate the penalties associated with shields and two handed weapons (bows, greatswords). The reason Barbs can't arm wear a large shield and Paladins can is a separate, and entirely different issue (one I don't have a problem with); the simple answer could be they are better with shields than we are.

I could be wrong, but I think there are two distinct penalties when using a shield and a two hander. One is to the weapon, and one is to the shield (which is on top of the arm worn restrictions).

The perks could be divided by allowing the Paladin perk to negate the penalty to shield when using a two hander, and the Barb perk would be the elimination of the penalty to the weapon. I'd rather see us share both, as I believe these penalties are pretty minor to begin with.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 11:23 PM CST
There's precedent. Barbs and rangers used to not get a penalty when loading/aiming a bow while arm wearing a small shield. Paladins used to be able to do it without penalty while arm wearing a medium shield. I say used to because I don't know if that's still the case in 3.0+.

Paladins aren't even thematically proficient with ranged weapons; shield proficiency was the reason.

Barbs can arm wear up to medium shields naturally, although I think most stick with small shields because of hindrance, the bow thing and the fact that you can get some low hindrance small shields with pretty great stats.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/10/2014 11:30 PM CST
Yes hinderance is a big issue, barbarians can't even use a medium shield without tanking their hinderance for the most part. So not sure how good it is for them.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/11/2014 06:05 AM CST
Medium shields aren't all that bad on us, but I ditched mine for a small shield so I could have lower dual arrow load times. For about the first half of 3.0, before the dual load fix, I was wearing a damite skirmisher's shield.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/12/2014 08:18 PM CST
I'm not in favor of contemplation removing the shield hindrance to 2-handers. It's too situational / specific, and contemplation ought to remain a more general defensive buff.

I could see the shield hindrance effect as a new ability. Please keep contemplation as our 1-slot simple defensive buff.
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/12/2014 08:25 PM CST
Would it be possible to give Barbarians access to a stance higher than "Incredibly", maybe?

Or maybe a pulsing Position buff...

Going back to my cave...
Re: Barbarians 3.1 01/14/2014 01:02 AM CST
<<I'm not in favor of contemplation removing the shield hindrance to 2-handers. It's too situational / specific, and contemplation ought to remain a more general defensive buff.>>

Think of it more as a perk to go along with a general armor buff. Along the lines of dual load with eagle.
1 2 4 Next Next_page