Prev_page Previous 1 3
Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 12:40 AM CST
I'm going to start a new thread here (Re: Briarmoon Cove Dates) to answer and respond to some of the comments.

>>Re: Where is the info?

Unfortunately, Briarmoon Cove is suffering a tad on the information front because we're in the process of changing how we handle ticket entry for pay events. We're also working with new onsite staff when it comes to how we deploy our marketing, teasing, and promoting of our events. We're in the process in talking this over more, because you're all use to us teasing and promoting the event months out. Especially a new event. Liia and I have been asked to hold off on discussing this event like we normally would for the time being. But trust me, it's something we're working on with the recent changes. It also didn't help that the holidays caused delays with people taking vacations throughout different weeks of the month of November/December.

Going to quote where I can from the other thread from here on out.

>>There is an obvious disconnect between the goals of the volunteer staff and Simutronics corporate, and no one was accusing the GMs of trying to take advantage of the player base. Quite the opposite, the messages were intended for those in charge of the business decisions that there are real consequences to the changes going on. ~LADYFLEUR

You're correct, there is a disconnect between the business side and the GameMaster side. Not many staff members truly get involved in the business side. Liia and I get to heavily influence and guide staff with the business decisions, but we do not make them. But the planning, development, and execution is done completely by offsite staff. Some stuff is peppered in by others involved at the office, and we of course need them to handle the website side (art, billing, etc). But they are not involved on what gets offered at these events, the quantities of what gets offered, and any restrictions we set. That is all handled offsite by several members of our management (ASGMs and SGMs). I think the bigger disconnect is player's understanding of what the offsite staff does and is responsible for. From up at my level, I've got targets, goals, and projects that are handed down to me that are mainly business side. I also discuss and rework areas of management, like POLICY, promoting better values, improving our company culture, and a hodgepodge of general administration. And then, completely separate from all that, is the game's actual direction, things like HSN, new releases, storylines, that have no push or pull from anyone onsite. We try to integrate what we can to incorporate business side goals with game development.

But a disconnect between staff and players is fine. You guys don't need to know everything that goes on with the GameMasters. I promote transparency, but I'm not going to explain every detail of every task we do. I'm trying to push down the walls of secrecy. Yes, we have an NDA, but there is a difference between not discussing game puzzles and mechanics, and just talking with you (like I am doing here). If you're really interested in knowing more, apply. Just be warned, we're fully staffed right now.

>>Lets be honest, this is a cash grab. They are splitting off what has been done at other festivals and giving then its own little cash generator. Lets redo fusion and make a new event surrounding it and offer VERY subpar items for the events. ~MEKK1

We have monthly and yearly targets, which have mostly been the same for a long time now. We typically do two larger pay events a year (Ebon Gate scale or up) and a few micro events. This doesn't include quests, which are mostly new to us in GS, but have been running in DR for a long time.

I'll go back ten years to show you the event schedule to help pave the way here.

**Wavedancer (runs 4 and 5)
**Ebon Gate (free)
**Foehn's Promise (Limited)

**Revel of the Anfelt (Limited tickets)
**Ebon Gate (Introduction to Velathae. Limited tickets for the auction only)

**Ebon Gate

**Ebon Gate

**Convocation of Coraesine Field (Limited tickets)
**Ebon Gate (Limited tickets for the auction only)

**Ebon Gate (Final run of Velathae)

**Droughtman's Maze Challenge (1000 tickets)
**Ebon Gate (Introduction to Feywrot Mire)

**Droughtman's Maze Challenge (Platinum run)
**Droughtman's Maze Challenge (Mini runs)
**Ebon Gate

**Return to Coraesine Field (Limited tickets)
**Ebon Gate
**Droughtman's Maze Challenge (Holiday run)
**Introduction to Quests (Black Swan Castle, Troubled Waters, and Night at the Academy)

**Cessation of Coraesine Field (Limited tickets)
**Ebon Gate
**Introduction to Micro Events (Albatross Excursions, Sylinar's Spire, Summit Expression Faire)

**Duskruin Arena and the Ratacombs
**Ebon Gate

Truth be told, we actually have not done as well as we anticipated in some of our older events. We've tried to be more efficient as the years have gone on and offer what people want more of. The micro events were a direct response to player requests, the last CCF run was a response to people wanting something over the top. Most of our pay events are a response to player wants and needs. Obviously, this comes with the understanding you don't always get everything at an event that you wanted or needed.

>>Similarly, Voln armor, Ithzir, broader enchanting services, were all dropped from EG, which collectively made it an undeniably lesser value experience than any other year. ~LADYFLEUR

I've seen the concerns with VolnArmor a number of times now, but this was not debuted at Ebon Gate. VolnArmor was GM Reidyn's project for RtCF in 2013. It was not an EG release, but some unlockings were offered after the RtCF runs at several events. It returned again for the 2014 run of CCF.

Ithzir armor debuted at EG 2012, but then was completely overhauled for EG 2013. Surprisingly enough, this armor was actually a Platinum release before migrating to Prime. The GM who created the script left us last year, and prior to that, his time was severely limited for GS work.

Enhancive permanence was first offered in 2010 by Rolarg, my NPC at Velathae. It was offered in unlimited quantities, but the following years we restricted how much you could get worked on. In 2011, when Velathae was "released," Rolarg was no more, and I stopped offering the service. My priorities shifted to working on Feywrot Mire, as I was co-lead with the design with GM Flannihan. GM Tamuz picked up the service in 2012 and 2013.

>>Liia- There's intention and then there's appearance. EG seemed lacking in new items compared to previous years, we've already had to buy tickets to another event to get something done that we usually got done at EG (enhancive permanence), and now there's another event with EG-like items. Color me jaded, that's how it looks to me. ~VANKRASN39

Some words on EG 2013, because this event is the culprit. It was my first year as SGM of the events team, but as some of you know, Ebon Gate starts being planned at the beginning of the year. It takes us about 9 months to go from planning to preparations before we open the arches. I was promoted December of 2012, but I was also juggling the Platinum guruship and handing over the Host Manager position to GM Kaikala. Planning for EG was also being worked on by another GM briefly, and it was a small disaster around August 2013. Because of this, some services and feeder items slipped into Ebon Gate and created a benchmark for 2014 and now 2015. Some staff gave me warnings about some of the stuff, but we also approved things in an odd manner around that time (we have since moved away from that). So we had one GM approving services and another leading EG, and then thirty GMs all wanting to make EG great. All this under my supervision. I ignored and dismissed some of the concerns, because in my mind, it was approved... But this is my fault. Even though countless items didn't get released in this manner, a small handful did, and we've paid the price since.

But EG 2015 wasn't sold short in any regard. This past EG was our biggest year yet, in terms of shops, inventory, and hours worked. Collectively, Ebon Gate demanded over 800 merchant hours during the two weeks it ran in both Prime and Platinum. That's over 200 more hours than when the Superstorm had us extend the event. We also had over 150 shops this year, that's over 40 new shops from the debut of Feywrot Mire (in quantity) and over 120 shops were completely refreshed with new inventory for 2015. And that's not counting any of the development of any other aspect of EG. The amount staff worked was well over what we generally even allow (since we ask staff to take breaks). Some staff members worked 8 hours just as a merchant and then jumped on for 4 more hours being support in the background in just a single day. I realize no one is criticizing that aspect, but the event wasn't sold short. Ebon Gate is our yearly venue where we debut new stuff. When the area becomes stale, we begin to redesign the grounds. But EG is not an event where we tend to offer and repeat what's offered.

Briarmoon Cove is a brand new event, with new grounds and lore. It's a hybrid event consisting of desired services, a mini quest, and many newly coded items. It also has an intricate storyline that will have a lasting effect on the game. It was designed by GM Galene and heavily worked on by the World Development team. I know her team is very excited to bring this event to the game. It's all packed into a cheaper price point and will hopefully be an experience you can all enjoy.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 08:13 AM CST

>But EG 2015 wasn't sold short in any regard. This past EG was our biggest year yet, in terms of shops, inventory, and hours worked. Collectively, Ebon Gate demanded over 800 merchant hours during the two weeks it ran in both Prime and Platinum.

Quality matters over quantity. I'm sorry but the offerings from EG14-15 was too far of a drop in quality. I'm well aware of the mistakes in '13. The fact is in EG15 we didn't even have a chance at a top tier service (say, a limited number of RotFlares, which did premier at EG14, or something at the level of Ithzir armor unlocking, which also happened in '14), and a typical EG service was dropped. The number of new scripts was not up to the usual standards, which again, quality over quantity, except when your very next pay event has items of the same level of EG.

So again, we have already had to pay extra to get the permanence service taken care of (some people were completely shut out of that event), you have a new event where an item teased looks awfully like it should belong at EG, and, while I know the GMs worked hard, in the overall big picture, EG was lacking.

I mentioned squeezing earlier, I don't mind being squeezed, but I'm going to tell you when the value/quality has dropped.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 10:28 AM CST
We had a few RotFlares items in the feeder, but I did warn that the NerveRot runestaves and the Duskruin high-end sale were it for those.

The enhancive permanence though only started being around in 2010, it's not as old as magic item recharging or scroll recharging. But we're moving a lot of our enhancive services to different venues. Ebon Gate has become a beast though. A runaway train. Look at the size of it. And even look at what you typed. "Quality matters over quantity." Look at everything that comes jammed into the event that you get now, compared, to say, 2004. Some services weren't offered at EG this year, but it wasn't to spread it to a new event. A lot of the services at Briarmoon Cove that you're seeing as "EG services" are actually a response to what you guys wanted that weren't offered recently. The approvals for (the extra) services started after EG, just as a point of reference -- in fact, the email is dated 12/1/15. Prior to that, none of that was even going to be offered. But again, this is part of the area where you guys don't need to know everything that goes on. Point is Ebon Gate is more a hodgepodge of new wares, fun games, and interesting things to do. We are loads more than that now.

Events are completely voluntary to participate in. We're not squeezing anyone, you don't even have to go. You don't need gear beyond the town armory. These events are extra revenue sources. We have targets, but it's up to the offsite staff to make them appealing enough so we can hit those targets. As someone who didn't buy into every event as a player, I can certainly say not all events appeal to everyone. I'm also never going to grab you by the ankles and shake you for anything you have in your pockets. If you don't wish to go, it's okay in my book.

You know how buying the music supports the band? Sure, you can listen to it on YouTube these days, or be an evil pirate, but for bands to keep making the music, it's important to buy the merchandise. Ever see those "buy me a beer" donate buttons on websites? Well, attending pay events helps get the offsite staff compensated. Am I oversharing? Probably.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 10:29 AM CST
Thanks for the great synopsis Wyrom. Was an interesting peek at what goes on behind the scenes, and very helpful in understanding it all. I really appreciate that.

Kerl
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 10:42 AM CST

>But we're moving a lot of our enhancive services to different venues.

>Some services weren't offered at EG this year, but it wasn't to spread it to a new event.

That's a bit contradictory.

>Look at everything that comes jammed into the event that you get now, compared, to say, 2004.

I only judge 2012-2015, my most recent rounds of participation. I was not subbed 2004, I returned in '06, and I don't remember much from 07-08, when I did go, then I left again in '09 for 2 years. I am posting based on my specific experiences in the immediate past.

>Events are completely voluntary to participate in.

Yes, and I'm notifying you that you may see fewer ticket sales as the quality has fallen, and it appears that Fleurs agrees, as do others, that the EG event was not up to par (comparing only '14 to '15 since '13 was an aberration), and you should be careful about the perception of nickel and diming, as that is what has happened the past few months (i.e. I had to pay more than usual to get done what I had in the two past years).
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 10:53 AM CST
EG has needed to be streamlined as far as shops go for years. Way too many shops selling similar items. There's not much point to having multiple shops selling various props that are duplicated over and over and over. More base items with merchants willing to alter and add their unique scripts to items would be the better route in my opinion. The shopping just gets tedious when you start to have 100+ shops and often times next to no information about what the shop is actually selling.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 10:59 AM CST
>>That's a bit contradictory.

I wasn't talking about anything new. Sylinar's Spire is where we've moved enhancive work, which we've already done (mostly).

>>I only judge 2012-2015, my most recent rounds of participation. I was not subbed 2004, I returned in '06, and I don't remember much from 07-08, when I did go, then I left again in '09 for 2 years. I am posting based on my specific experiences in the immediate past.

You're right. People who don't attend many events only have their experiences to judge an event. And we do appreciate the feedback. It helps us align the perception to the reality, which as you can tell, doesn't line up in most cases (staff thinking we're hitting what's wanted).

>>Yes, and I'm notifying you that you may see fewer ticket sales as the quality has fallen, and it appears that Fleurs agrees, as do others, that the EG event was not up to par (comparing only '14 to '15 since '13 was an aberration), and you should be careful about the perception of nickel and diming, as that is what has happened the past few months (i.e. I had to pay more than usual to get done what I had in the two past years).

It's unfortunate that some of you don't see the value offered at Ebon Gate, beyond a few services that weren't offered. But it's always a tough call because each piece has a value associated with it. It's always tough to also point out to staff that what they are doing isn't welcomed by the community, but I can certainly sit down with staff and tell them what they are doing is a waste of time. Because we'd have to shift what they're doing. I cannot add more to their workload.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 11:00 AM CST

<<<<Yes, and I'm notifying you that you may see fewer ticket sales as the quality has fallen, and it appears that Fleurs agrees, as do others, that the EG event was not up to par (comparing only '14 to '15 since '13 was an aberration), and you should be careful about the perception of nickel and diming, as that is what has happened the past few months (i.e. I had to pay more than usual to get done what I had in the two past years).

I thought Fleurs quit over the wizard issue... so really could care less.

Frankly.. at this rate.. EG won't be worth it for you if you don't get a chance at a 10x DB with spell knowledge for circles 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 900. Fine.. 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1700 too. Along with a 10x weapon of your choice with bane and blink.

The only complaint I had about EG with the hopper. I knew going in it was going to be no where near what it had been in years past, I just was surprised at how much it had changed. Don't think I remember anyone even pulling a forehead gem.

It's also really nice that you ~ONLY~ judge the years where EG was insane. Yes, Insane. EG really has gotten out of hand. GALD I can understand at EG. New scripty stuff, sure. Enchants, padding, weighting, or forging upgrades... seem a little out of char for the event. Yeah, EG isn't Halloween. BUT it is generally a darker event. I'd rather it stay that way, and services offered reflect that.

Look at it this way, if they move all the services you want from EG to something else.. you won't have to go to EG. Which will make it easier for others to get services. Win Win.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 11:17 AM CST

>Frankly.. at this rate.. EG won't be worth it for you if you don't get a chance at a 10x DB with spell knowledge for circles 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 900. Fine.. 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1700 too. Along with a 10x weapon of your choice with bane and blink. -Trainer

>Enchants, padding, weighting, or forging upgrades... seem a little out of char for the event. -Trainer

No, I've already addressed this, EG has offered up a few special slots for improving items, not a lot, not a big variety, but something. But that didn't exist this past EG. At all. Also, my one requested item for the hopper or general sales that I asked for about 5 times has no mechanical benefit whatsoever, so while you think you know me and what I'm asking for, you don't at all.

>I thought Fleurs quit over the wizard issue... so really could care less. -Trainer

No, that was Taverkin. Fleurs and I don't have much in common besides the fact that we both enjoy events, spend our money on them, and encourage others to go as well. I think I convinced four or five people to buy tickets for EG in 2015. I doubt I'll be as enthusiastic next year without some seriously good teasers, and a promise for more signs.

>It's also really nice that you ~ONLY~ judge the years where EG was insane. Yes, Insane. -Trainer

Again, no, the one year Wyrom pointed out as INSANE (EG13) has been specifically disregarded as an aberration, if you read my post instead of assuming what is says, you might get something out of it.

>It's always tough to also point out to staff that what they are doing isn't welcomed by the community, but I can certainly sit down with staff and tell them what they are doing is a waste of time. Because we'd have to shift what they're doing. I cannot add more to their workload. -Wyrom

>EG has needed to be streamlined as far as shops go for years. Way too many shops selling similar items. There's not much point to having multiple shops selling various props that are duplicated over and over and over. More base items with merchants willing to alter and add their unique scripts to items would be the better route in my opinion. The shopping just gets tedious when you start to have 100+ shops and often times next to no information about what the shop is actually selling. -BHTM/Richard

Richard is 100% correct, that would be a good place to start.

I will say that the ticket system vs. junk in the hopper is a step in the right direction. I had an easier time unloading from EG than Duskruin, but I didn't spend a single EG ticket as the ticket shops didn't have anything that appealed to me.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 01:06 PM CST
Number and variety of events over the past 3-5 years has been outstanding if you ask me. I hadn't, to my recollection, purchased anything prior to that because I wasn't intrigued by the offerings, but I've been to nearly everything over the past few years.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 01:10 PM CST

>Number and variety of events over the past 3-5 years has been outstanding if you ask me. I hadn't, to my recollection, purchased anything prior to that because I wasn't intrigued by the offerings, but I've been to nearly everything over the past few years.

I absolutely agree, up until the last quarter.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 01:35 PM CST
>We try to integrate what we can to incorporate business side goals with game development.

It was very obvious last year that this didn't happen. I hope both onsite and offsite staff will be more conscious of the impacts of changes on both ends going forward.

>Rest of Wyrom's giant post

Thank you for the detailed explanation and transparency. It does help to clarify things, but I think the problem is the average person is still paying more to receive the same services they did a few years ago. As long as you are aware this is the reality, not just the perception, we can all choose how to purchase going forward as well.

>Events are completely voluntary to participate in. We're not squeezing anyone, you don't even have to go. You don't need gear beyond the town armory. These events are extra revenue sources. We have targets, but it's up to the offsite staff to make them appealing enough so we can hit those targets. As someone who didn't buy into every event as a player, I can certainly say not all events appeal to everyone. I'm also never going to grab you by the ankles and shake you for anything you have in your pockets. If you don't wish to go, it's okay in my book.

Not speaking for myself here, I know many people want to go to all events but most cannot afford to do so. So when key services that had historically been offered as part of a lower tiered price event (such as EG, that most try to attend) are shifted to pay per service or higher tiered events (Duskruin, CCF), they are essentially out of reach for most. I get the need for different tiers of events and services. But as I said, there are real consequences to the changes being made.

>You know how buying the music supports the band? Sure, you can listen to it on YouTube these days, or be an evil pirate, but for bands to keep making the music, it's important to buy the merchandise. Ever see those "buy me a beer" donate buttons on websites? Well, attending pay events helps get the offsite staff compensated. Am I oversharing? Probably.

I don't know where to go with this analogy. Allereli and I are paying, long-term multi-Premium customers. Are we pirating GS with our subscription fees? Yes, there are extras to be had, but offsite staff compensation quite frankly is a serious Simutronics corporate issue and should not be considered the burden of players who already pay a lot for the game development and content. More than any other game out there.

I am perfectly happy and love to know that attending pay events helps get the offsite staff compensated, and in many cases, this is precisely the reason I chose to support them to the extent I did in the past. However, I believe you had said you received nothing for all your work on Duskruin, for example, which bothered me considering you almost single-handedly held that event together. I realize you probably can't share, but if this is not the case, I am more than happy to know that part of my money is actually going to the people doing the work.

However, whatever we "donate" by paying not insignificant sums to attend pay events can't possibly make a meaningful impact on your (GM's) wallets, so while it is a gesture of thanks, it shouldn't impact the reasons players cannot or won't go. To speak in terms of your analogy, it would be like streaming, where the actual artists receive an insignificant fraction of what is paid in for their work and the giant corporation takes the rest.

>You're right. People who don't attend many events only have their experiences to judge an event. And we do appreciate the feedback. It helps us align the perception to the reality, which as you can tell, doesn't line up in most cases (staff thinking we're hitting what's wanted).

I don't think it's fair to accuse either Allereli or me of being people who don't attend many events. I also think you're beginning to take this a bit more personally than was intended. The reality is that the last 5+ EGs each had multiple mechanically beneficial services offered broadly, if even only a few spots for each. The reality is this past EG had none, except for the bow sighting that was thankfully offered as usual.

>It's unfortunate that some of you don't see the value offered at Ebon Gate, beyond a few services that weren't offered. But it's always a tough call because each piece has a value associated with it. It's always tough to also point out to staff that what they are doing isn't welcomed by the community, but I can certainly sit down with staff and tell them what they are doing is a waste of time. Because we'd have to shift what they're doing. I cannot add more to their workload.

Again, you're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say EG doesn't offer value. I said the value of the EG ticket has undeniably lowered over the years, which are two different things. And not everyone can purchase more or pay more for a dozen different events to compensate. This may be what it is, but then there should be no problem in admitting it.

No one said either that what staff is doing isn't welcomed by the community. I always acknowledge and appreciate all the hard work that goes into the CE events, and I am very grateful for every hour put in. However, when looking at event planning, all we were trying to do was point out some areas that were glaringly missing. To dismiss our concerns as "beyond a few services that weren't offered" is a bit patronizing when the services in question were the key areas of mechanical value in the event to begin with. All we're asking is for you to try to make sure some of them appear at EG in the future.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 02:24 PM CST
<long post> -- LadyFleur

In large part, I interpreted Wyrom's <long post> to boil down to, "Mechanical-type benefits is not what EG is about. We deliberately re-focused the event, and if those are what you want, look to other events."

The fact that over the last several years players had come to (very vocally) expect those services at that event bears this out.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 02:32 PM CST

>"Mechanical-type benefits is not what EG is about. We deliberately re-focused the event, and if those are what you want, look to other events."

Then why would Aulis post earlier saying he wanted to do the permanence service at EG15, but didn't have a convenient time to hold it?

If EG is not going to be what it was in 2012 or 2014 (again, skipping 2013), then the price should come down by $10, which is what a service costs at the Spire.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 02:42 PM CST
>Because we'd have to shift what they're doing. I cannot add more to their workload.

To add to this, nobody is asking staff to add more to their workload. I think shifting services to create more, and more expensive, events is putting more of a strain on both staff and players, because as I said, most players also cannot afford to attend every single event if there are a dozen of them in a year. Similarly, I can't even imagine the amount of work that goes into the planning, venue creation, new QC, etc. related to each new event.

You have a finite player base, that is small and niche. Financially, the extras in this game cost more than any other and while I'm fortunate that it isn't a factor in my personal decision making regarding event attendance, it is for many.

Yes, we can all choose which events to attend. But I always feel bad when I see certain events or services that are poorly attended despite equally hard work put into the planning and execution. I don't think having more events with lower attendance for each helps the GM workload or morale at all, just as it doesn't help the player wallet.

You speak of concern over telling staff that what they are doing is a waste of time. It's not that it's not appreciated; it's more that when it comes to prioritizing value, players also have to make decisions about where to spend their money, time and silvers. So players possibly not attending EG or similar events in the future may not be a case of them being "evil pirates" of GS or not wanting to "press the donate button" to thank staff, but that due to changes in event structure, content, and pricing, they will be forced to make different choices about how to spend their money, time and silvers.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 02:55 PM CST
>>It was very obvious last year that this didn't happen. I hope both onsite and offsite staff will be more conscious of the impacts of changes on both ends going forward.

Why would you say that? Last year the office had the biggest part in EG since I've been on staff. Again, you're disconnecting itemization and gear grinding with what all was actually offered. I think you're allowing too much impact on several services that were hoped for.

>>Not speaking for myself here, I know many people want to go to all events but most cannot afford to do so. So when key services that had historically been offered as part of a lower tiered price event (such as EG, that most try to attend) are shifted to pay per service or higher tiered events (Duskruin, CCF), they are essentially out of reach for most. I get the need for different tiers of events and services. But as I said, there are real consequences to the changes being made.

Which services have historically been offered as part of a lower tiered price event? VolnArmor (created 2013 for RtCF)? IthzirArmor (created 2012 and released only in Platinum at the time)? Or Enhancive Permanence (First year ever offered was 2010)? This isn't coy, this is a serious question. List all of them so we know your thoughts of what is considered a historical offering that is an integrated service of Ebon Gate to the player.

>>I don't know where to go with this analogy. Allereli and I are paying, long-term multi-Premium customers. Are we pirating GS with our subscription fees? Yes, there are extras to be had, but offsite staff compensation quite frankly is a serious Simutronics corporate issue and should not be considered the burden of players who already pay a lot for the game development and content. More than any other game out there.

>>I am perfectly happy and love to know that attending pay events helps get the offsite staff compensated, and in many cases, this is precisely the reason I chose to support them to the extent I did in the past. However, I believe you had said you received nothing for all your work on Duskruin, for example, which bothered me considering you almost single-handedly held that event together. I realize you probably can't share, but if this is not the case, I am more than happy to know that part of my money is actually going to the people doing the work.

>>However, whatever we "donate" by paying not insignificant sums to attend pay events can't possibly make a meaningful impact on your (GM's) wallets, so while it is a gesture of thanks, it shouldn't impact the reasons players cannot or won't go. To speak in terms of your analogy, it would be like streaming, where the actual artists receive an insignificant fraction of what is paid in for their work and the giant corporation takes the rest.

Judging by your responses, I don't think you understood the comparison that much. Either way, it's one of the ways we earn something for all this, other than the warm fuzzies. A few GMs survive solely on warm fuzzies.

>>I don't think it's fair to accuse either Allereli or me of being people who don't attend many events. I also think you're beginning to take this a bit more personally than was intended. The reality is that the last 5+ EGs each had multiple mechanically beneficial services offered broadly, if even only a few spots for each. The reality is this past EG had none, except for the bow sighting that was thankfully offered as usual.

Since I didn't direct the comment at you, nor was it personal, I'd imagine this is quite the opposite. Our perception isn't matching the reality of some of you willing to talk about it here on the forums.

And just to clear the air, I don't post when I take something personal. I take a walk. I was hardly on Ebon Gate this year, as my priorities shifted when Solomon left Simutronics and Liia was promoted to APM. The only real involvement I had with EG was with updating the Necropolis, the ether, and helping with games/digging.

>>Again, you're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say EG doesn't offer value. I said the value of the EG ticket has undeniably lowered over the years, which are two different things. And not everyone can purchase more or pay more for a dozen different events to compensate. This may be what it is, but then there should be no problem in admitting it.

Can you list for me the lowered value bullet points over the years. I know we've heard that there are too many shops and too much inventory to sort through, so we'll definitely remove some of that for 2016. We felt adding the multitude of games, the Necropolis, the hunting ground, the live game prizes, and having it staffed by 50% more GMs was adding a lot more value to the ticket.

We would definitely like to know how we can make Ebon Gate a better experience. As long as the concepts are reasonable, of course.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 03:05 PM CST
>>So players possibly not attending EG or similar events in the future may not be a case of them being "evil pirates" of GS or not wanting to "press the donate button" to thank staff, but that due to changes in event structure, content, and pricing, they will be forced to make different choices about how to spend their money, time and silvers.

>>If EG is not going to be what it was in 2012 or 2014 (again, skipping 2013), then the price should come down by $10, which is what a service costs at the Spire.

Do you really want service caps at EG if the services were like the Spire?

>>You speak of concern over telling staff that what they are doing is a waste of time. It's not that it's not appreciated; it's more that when it comes to prioritizing value, players also have to make decisions about where to spend their money, time and silvers. So players possibly not attending EG or similar events in the future may not be a case of them being "evil pirates" of GS or not wanting to "press the donate button" to thank staff, but that due to changes in event structure, content, and pricing, they will be forced to make different choices about how to spend their money, time and silvers.

Gotta stop using that comparison wrong. Nothing about evil pirates applied to GS. It wasn't an analogy. My point with saying that was I realize not everyone buys music anymore. It was literally telling you that going to events is like buying a staff member a beer, or dinner, or a pizza, or tossing them some cash for playing the banjo in a busy subway.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 03:33 PM CST
>My point with saying that was I realize not everyone buys music anymore. It was literally telling you that going to events is like buying a staff member a beer, or dinner, or a pizza, or tossing them some cash for playing the banjo in a busy subway.~Wyrom, APM

Except we do buy music (subscriptions to GS that are WAY more expensive than other RPG games), and the record company (simu) is not paying adequate royalties to the artists (GM's). You're asking us to pay for concert tickets, then throw cash on the stage as they perform.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 03:41 PM CST
>>Except we do buy music (subscriptions to GS that are WAY more expensive than other RPG games), and the record company (simu) is not paying adequate royalties to the artists (GM's). You're asking us to pay for concert tickets, then throw cash on the stage as they perform.

Huh? It's not an analogy. You're substituting GS for the music industry. I'm point blank saying it's how staff is compensated.

I'm also not telling you to throw cash at us. I'm actually telling you if you don't like something, you're 100% off the hook and don't need to. However, I've asked for a list of what we can do to make EG better, or at least better explanation of where the lowered value of the EG ticket comes from.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 03:43 PM CST
>Why would you say that? Last year the office had the biggest part in EG since I've been on staff. Again, you're disconnecting itemization and gear grinding with what all was actually offered. I think you're allowing too much impact on several services that were hoped for.

I see my allusion was too vague, but I hope we don't have to revisit the many issues that occurred when Dev decided to demolish decades of work without serious thought about the consequences of proposed nerfs without fixes in place, Duskruin tickets were pushed out the door en masse with SimuCoin discounts without Dev approvals in place yet for services/items allowed to actually be sold, and panic nerfs over excessive fusion fodder being generated by Duskruin resulting in the fusion system being eliminated entirely after 3-slot fusion gear was specifically one of the key offerings from Duskruin itself.

You cannot upsell and nerf what you upsell at the same time. That should be a conscious factor in long-term planning and vision for both events and development. I'd rather you don't release more than what is allowed for the game, than to sell players everything they desire, then panic and decide to implement a nerf hammer instead of a tap after the fact. That inspires no trust in what we're spending our money on and player trust is a very difficult thing to get back.

>Which services have historically been offered as part of a lower tiered price event? VolnmArmor (created 2013 for RtCF)? IthzirArmor (created 2012 and released only in Platinum at the time)? Or Enhancive Permanence (First year ever offered was 2010)? This isn't coy, this is a serious question. List all of them so we know your thoughts of what is considered a historical offering that is an integrated service of Ebon Gate to the player.

In this case, I'm speaking specifically about enhancive permanence and the opportunity for at least one broadly offered, mechanically beneficial service such as enchanting or padding that is not restricted to forged weapons. Since this is EG 2015 we're referring to, I don't think 4 years of precedence (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014) is too short to be considered historical. I'm well aware that EG offerings (and prices) have increased since 2000. But if what we've been accustomed to isn't the norm any more, then it's not unreasonable for players to be told this so we can adjust our planning accordingly.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 04:02 PM CST
<<Then why would Aulis post earlier saying he wanted to do the permanence service at EG15, but didn't have a convenient time to hold it?

I mentioned it because it is generally something I like to do as a service (in general and not just specific to EG). It's quick and easy for me to do since I've done it before. Also, I'm not a coder of scripts. So unlike many GM's that do release awesome and new scripts for items at events I don't have that opportunity, currently. And I like to offer services that are more than just the typical GALD. GALD can be boring, for me personally.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 04:10 PM CST
>>I see my allusion was too vague, but I hope we don't have to revisit the many issues that occurred when Dev decided to demolish decades of work without serious thought about the consequences of proposed nerfs without fixes in place, Duskruin tickets were pushed out the door en masse with SimuCoin discounts without Dev approvals in place yet for services/items allowed to actually be sold, and panic nerfs over excessive fusion fodder being generated by Duskruin resulting in the fusion system being eliminated entirely after 3-slot fusion gear was specifically one of the key offerings from Duskruin itself.

>>You cannot upsell and nerf what you upsell at the same time. That should be a conscious factor in long-term planning and vision for both events and development. I'd rather you don't release more than what is allowed for the game, than to sell players everything they desire, then panic and decide to implement a nerf hammer instead of a tap after the fact. That inspires no trust in what we're spending our money on and player trust is a very difficult thing to get back.

Wait, what? The 3-slot fusion was a limited item, you can find posts of me stating as much. Absolutely nothing about fusion has anything to do with Duskruin or enhancive-fodder. Where in the world did that even come from? Did I miss something here? Where was the fusion system eliminated? You're waiting on details to the future of fusion still, did someone mention this somewhere that I'm unaware of. The absolute only issue with fusion was it being offered on the Firebird and being set to the wrong price from the get go (the first time it was ever released). I mean, I removed a handful of items from my shop, like the cloaks and weapons that weren't fusion as well. It's called scarcity, and helps keep item value up so the player economy thrives.

>>In this case, I'm speaking specifically about enhancive permanence and the opportunity for at least one broadly offered, mechanically beneficial service such as enchanting or padding that is not restricted to forged weapons. Since this is EG 2015 we're referring to, I don't think 4 years of precedence (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014) is too short to be considered historical. I'm well aware that EG offerings (and prices) have increased since 2000. But if what we've been accustomed to isn't the norm any more, then it's not unreasonable for players to be told this so we can adjust our planning accordingly.

If this is truly just about enhancive permanence, it can be discussed internally to ways to alleviate the issues. Outside 2010, it's always been restricted to limited services. So if you buy an admit all ticket, I can understand how Sylinar's Spire doesn't help.

Going back to fusion and enhancives a moment. The reason why fusion and making enhancives not crumble is such a big deal is because the enhancive system was not meant to be min-maxed. There were two forms of upkeep, recharging and item loss. But making them not crumble isn't off the table. Fusion isn't going away.

Tamuz simply has a lot more on his plate now. The services offered at EG are mostly requested by the staff that wants to work on them. Some staff don't understand enhancives. It's nothing personal. There is no player griefing meetings held where we plot anyone's misfortune. I stopped offering the service in 2012 because I was a lot more busy with what I was working on.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 04:19 PM CST

>It's nothing personal. There is no player griefing meetings held where we plot anyone's misfortune. I stopped offering the service in 2012 because I was a lot more busy with what I was working on.

Yes, I've said I understand this the entire time, but it does not negate the fact that we had to purchase tickets to an additional event to get it done. I hark on this one service because this is the one service where the monetary value had been determined, the rest is debatable.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 04:24 PM CST
>Wait, what? The 3-slot fusion was a limited item, you can find posts of me stating as much. Absolutely nothing about fusion has anything to do with Duskruin or enhancive-fodder. Where in the world did that even come from? Did I miss something here? Where was the fusion system eliminated? You're waiting on details to the future of fusion still, did someone mention this somewhere that I'm unaware of. The absolute only issue with fusion was it being offered on the Firebird and being set to the wrong price from the get go (the first time it was ever released). I mean, I removed a handful of items from my shop, like the cloaks and weapons that weren't fusion as well. It's called scarcity, and helps keep item value up so the player economy thrives.

Yes, I'm aware it was a limited item. The fact remains that people purchased said limited item, then a few months later were told EG is the last chance ever to create orbs to use with said item. You stated that Fusion 1.0, as we all know it and have invested in gear and orbs for, was going away after EG 2015. Some form of fusion may exist, but it doesn't change the fact that what people had invested in basically became unsupported in the future like Windows XP. Color me cynical, but it's either a direct consequence or suspicious coincidence that the end of fusion 1.0 came directly after the mass release of enhancive fodder from last year's Duskruin runs. It wasn't as if fodder supply was ever considered to be a serious issue before that, but it suddenly became a priority to nerf it immediately, so much so that a nerf was announced before a new system was even created.

Scarcity is removing the availability of fusion for a period of time but not scrapping the system entirely, never to be seen in its current incarnation again. When people who have invested huge sums in their gear (and gear is one of the most costly expenditures in the game) are suddenly told that there will be a new system in place in the future instead, that creates panic about where the mechanics of the game are going and in no way helps the economy thrive. Quite the opposite, if you'll notice, player sales and expenditures have pretty much come to a grinding halt after the shockwaves of announcements last year as people wait to see what is going to happen to their stuff.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 05:41 PM CST
>coming up with more ways to charge for anything beyond standard gear, which.. for many classes is largely unplayable (you can argue otherwise, but.. from a player trying to have FUN, your wrong) while limiting what was once available 15 years ago for free. and adding price tags to it.

My level 75 warrior uphunts, unspelled, with a +18 blessable weapon and +18 armor. He one-hit kills most things he encounters. It's pretty fun!
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 06:34 PM CST
>>Which services have historically been offered as part of a lower tiered price event?

Off the top of my head:
Ironwright flares
Ithzir unlockings
forged weapon upgrades/enchanting/weighting
Wand creation w/2x cost for mage rechargeable with a fairly wide variety of spells allowed (including raise dead)
Bubble flares
Customized complimenting mirror messaging
Merchant that played a dice game with prizes including enchanting/weighting/flares/etc for weapons bought in his shop.
Heavy padding added to cloth armor
Black and white ora unlocking
Adding banes to weapons
Glamour tattoos
Customized siegery mini's
Unlocking creepy toys
Eahnor Claidhmore and Eahnor katana raffled at EG 2012
Acuity/mana flare upgrades
Kroderine/Adamantine/Zelnorn weapon/armor/shield creation
custom idols
Ensorcelling weapons, runestaves, shields and armor, including those not normally able to be ensorcelled by players. No enhancive, fusion, or holy items.
Customizing haunted or whispering masks
Distributing rare scrying devices using a few methods, including raffles and a fortunetelling contest
Raffling a prophecy mask that can be used once per day
Revel of the Anfelt level raffles

I'm with many others when I say that this past EG was a disappointment. Quality of services offered was pretty minimal and the value just wasn't there. Digging/Games really didn't start paying out until near the end of the 2nd week for plat in specific, and the items found were by and large not that impressive. I'm not asking for auction quality items from the games/digging, but some of the items could use a bit of a face lift to be slightly better. The raffles for brawling gear were essentially off the shelf 4x with flares, definitely not raffle worthy.

If EG were priced back at the $30 range, it wouldn't be so bad, but you're charging too much for what is being offered.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 06:48 PM CST

>>>Off the top of my head:
Ironwright flares
Ithzir unlockings
forged weapon upgrades/enchanting/weighting
Wand creation w/2x cost for mage rechargeable with a fairly wide variety of spells allowed (including raise dead)
Bubble flares
Customized complimenting mirror messaging
Merchant that played a dice game with prizes including enchanting/weighting/flares/etc for weapons bought in his shop.
Heavy padding added to cloth armor
Black and white ora unlocking
Adding banes to weapons
Glamour tattoos
Customized siegery mini's
Unlocking creepy toys
Eahnor Claidhmore and Eahnor katana raffled at EG 2012
Acuity/mana flare upgrades
Kroderine/Adamantine/Zelnorn weapon/armor/shield creation
custom idols
Ensorcelling weapons, runestaves, shields and armor, including those not normally able to be ensorcelled by players. No enhancive, fusion, or holy items.
Customizing haunted or whispering masks
Distributing rare scrying devices using a few methods, including raffles and a fortunetelling contest
Raffling a prophecy mask that can be used once per day
Revel of the Anfelt level raffles

You know.. ~IF~ they offered all these things.. they could NEVER offer anything new. Besides, These are not STANDARD in any way shape or form, or at least not most of them.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't missed an EG in 10 years. I NEVER go to EG thinking I am going to walk away with something mechanical. EG, for me, is all about the fluff, and the GALD. It's where I get my GALD on. Yeah, there have been raffles, and auctions, and spins for some amazing mechanical things at EG over the years (not counting God Auctions), but I mean, lets face it... Unlimited ticket sales and EXTREMELY limited slots = not gana get it. Unless you are one of the uber rich anyway. Generally, the only mechanical things I have ever gotten out of EG really are hopper pulls.

I was hoping this year was going to be a Mechanical year (2016 in general, not 2015 EG) as in having a mechanical services event. We will see. At least there will be an auction this year.

Honestly.. the only mechanical things I could see being offered at EG yearly to me.. would be NPC ensorcelling and black ora unlocking. Since there are items out there that Sorcs just can not do, period, and always nice to have the chance to upgrade some hopper black ora items. Both of these even fit in with the generally darker side of EG.

I'd rather see ithzir and voln armor at a different event. Granted, I would like to see ensorcell and black ora at a different event too, because of unlimited tickets, but I can live with it.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 09:10 PM CST
When I came back from my hiatus a couple years ago, I was amazed at how mechanically oriented EG had become. Frankly, I long for the days when it was a whole lot more fluff/RP. As a player, I preferred those types of events by far. I have capped 2 characters (of different professions) with 4-5x gear (I got better stuff after I capped because of friends, mostly). I'm not telling you this to say you should do it that way, or that uber gear isn't appealing to a lot of players. I'm just saying I never much cared about the mechanical stuff, I had fun in other ways.

Personally, I'd love to make EG a lot less mechanical, add more RP related events/merchants/games, and move a lot of the mechanical merchants/services to a totally different venue. EG is absolutely a runaway train. It's too big, there are too many shops, and it's a beast to organize from a lead GM point of view. But for now, we're still wandering Feywrot Mire, and starting from scratch for EG is not in the cards for at least another year. I'm personally working on expanding Summit Academy for the future. That's my personal project, my labor of love, my baby. Hopefully the creativity I sink into it, and all the ideas that my colleagues have inspired, will please a great many of you when the time comes.

~Liia
APM, Events & World Development

Dear My Favoritest Liia,
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my barbie-loving soul can reach... (even when you set me on fire)
~Issalya
Re: Event vs. Event 01/06/2016 10:24 PM CST

>Frankly, I long for the days when it was a whole lot more fluff/RP. As a player, I preferred those types of events by far. I have capped 2 characters (of different professions) with 4-5x gear (I got better stuff after I capped because of friends, mostly). I'm not telling you this to say you should do it that way, or that uber gear isn't appealing to a lot of players.

Isn't there a balance that can be reached between the two? It seemed to happen at EG14.

>I'm just saying I never much cared about the mechanical stuff, I had fun in other ways.

To tell you a little more about my GS life as a main complainant since you're boxing people into fluff/RP love or mechanics love, I typically hunt one day on the weekend and almost always play seven. The rest of the time I do CHE stuff (anywhere from hosting/prepping events to 10 page annex designs), and edit the wiki. I prefer to play this way than having a daily hunting grind. There are players who do have fun in other ways, and we still want there to be a touch of mechanical at EG with things like RotFlares/Ithzir unlocking being very limited. We can like both.

As Fleurs and I both mentioned, a lot of people can't afford to go to event after event and it used to be that if a player could only go to one event a year, they could go to EG and get mostly fluff, but also find somewhat mechanically useful things, and have a very small chance at something really cool.

>I'm personally working on expanding Summit Academy for the future. That's my personal project, my labor of love, my baby.

It is obvious when an event is somebody's baby and when it is not. I look forward to the next SEF, I really enjoy what I got in the last run, and whatever else you have planned for that area.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 12:50 AM CST
I just don't see how folks can keep saying that EG was never mechanically oriented. It has always been that way. Look at BHTM's list. A lot of that stuff was offered at EGs in the past. We're not asking for it all to be offered every year. We're asking that you not gut the event and that you offer some each year like you have most every year. I remember enchant potions being raffled at EG way back. I remember auction quality tents being raffled/auctioned. I remember people talking about shadowdeath items that were found digging. Remember the riverboat with all the uber brawling enhancives? Of course there's fusion gear and the shaman. I loved the dhyne flaring items. What about the chrism holders and herb bundlers? There were tons of other awesome raffles/auctions/services/wares and I'll scour the old EG listings to come up with a longer list if you like (my memory isn't the best but every year I went I felt like there was plenty of mechanical goodness starting with the first EG (hurray wickedly curved faenor waraxes)).

Some of you might not go to EG expecting to win or get something mechanically beneficial but I sure do (and it's why I take 2 accounts and multiple characters). I won zelnorn full plate one year, an ethereal runestaff this past year and an ithzir unlocking one year which I sold for like 20m. I always looked forward to fusion being at the event. The hearts from the necro are super mechanically sweet (again why I brought multiple characters).

If turning the event into a fluff fest is something you are determined to do then I guess that'll leave me out but I'll be truly sad not attending the one event I look forward to every year in gemstone. I know how you can make it up to me though...a ticket to a coraesine fields type event every couple of years! I'm sure I've said a bunch of the above before and I promise I'll try and not complain about this stuff again (remind me if I do...memory :-P).

Thx
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 02:30 AM CST

First EG I went to was in 1999, only "mechanical" thing I remember was an automated flare adder that would add flares up to 10x for a set price.

I think EG started getting insane around 2005 onward. Having auctions at it also didn't help, putting shadowdeath weapons in the hopper as well. Same with having weighting and enchanting on player forged items. It just kinda all steamrolled.

Chrism holders/herb bundlers would be more fluff then Mechanical to me I would think.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 09:27 AM CST
"I just don't see how folks can keep saying that EG was never mechanically oriented. It has always been that way. Look at BHTM's list. <and his own list of stuff>" -- RarJr

Both of these lists have something in common: they are the cream of mechanical benefits culled from knowledge of fifteen years' worth of Ebon Gate.

When the GM behind <pick a service> leaves, as happens fairly often, even if that shop has been at EG for six years running, odds are good it won't be back. So there has always been some turnover/attrition in services, anyhow. And even returning shops get their wares cycled/freshened up.

I think the GMs may be the victims of their own success (in putting on great events year after year), while the players are doing as players always do: looking out for themselves to the greatest extent possible. :)
The ramifications are just more far-reaching than they are sitting around Harold's dining room table for a couple years' worth of campaign, because none of us are moving to college/getting married/whatever and losing touch from the pencil-and-paper campaign.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 11:53 AM CST

>Personally, I'd love to make EG a lot less mechanical, add more RP related events/merchants/games, and move a lot of the mechanical merchants/services to a totally different venue

I'd love this myself, but then I've got a lot of nice stuff already, so I can see where others might be coming from if they want more mechanically beneficial stuff too.

--Hal
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 01:08 PM CST
> I know we've heard that there are too many shops and too much inventory to sort through, so we'll definitely remove some of that for 2016.

I know I, at least, was sorry to read this. Part of the fun for me was going through shops more than once, both IG and on the wiki, and finding things I hadn't yet noticed. Yes, there were a lot of shops, but that strikes me as a wonderful thing and I will be sorry to see fewer next time.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 01:28 PM CST

>Yes, there were a lot of shops, but that strikes me as a wonderful thing and I will be sorry to see fewer next time.

I did about 100 shops on the list and I'll be happy to see a shorter shop list, especially as some GMs like to fancify the shop structure a la Ghule.

Did we need 4 map shops?* Couldn't all the maps have been sold in one shop?

*Maphaven, Maps Galore, Off the Beaten Trail, Questing for Maps

I'm not one for writing essay posts, so I'll leave the map shops as my given example, sorry map lovers.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 02:11 PM CST
I am for quality over quantity, I definitely chuckled when I realized there were four different map shops.

I am also a fan of buying zesty non-plain things and altering them to suit my characters, so when there are x # of shops selling the same type of item, all unscripted but with a different look(that I'd end up altering anyway), I personally don't see much point in shopping those items. Goodness knows my locker has enough "plain" items collecting dust.

I'd also like to say that I LOVE the ghule type shops, they are so much fun to explore(sorry listmakers)
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 02:15 PM CST
Also signs. The end.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 03:55 PM CST
<<Did we need 4 map shops?* Couldn't all the maps have been sold in one shop?
<<*Maphaven, Maps Galore, Off the Beaten Trail, Questing for Maps

Considering three of those shops were mine, yes we did. Each shop and selection of maps had a different theme of maps. Putting them all in one shop--to me personally--would be like putting McDonald's, Taco Bell, Arby's, and any other fast food restaurant you can think of all into one single restaurant...gross!

The fourth map shop I'm pretty sure had only scripted maps and was another GM's.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 04:44 PM CST

>Each shop and selection of maps had a different theme of maps.

As you well know, shops can have several containers, or even several rooms. It seemed like filler to have 3 shops selling only maps, and 1 with maps and compasses.

It seems to me like combining niche items into one shop would save a ton of GM time on room design/shop deployment. Besides that, it's more user friendly. When someone asks, "Where is this map found?" What would you tell them without a player-driven shop list? "Oh, go look in 1 of these 4 shops?"

It's the same criticism I have for a document with ~60 different cultural options: there seems to be a lack of editing. If everyone in charge says EG is a monster of an event, then maybe it needs more overseeing. I'm curious of how many items at EG didn't sell anything at all, or even shops for that matter.

I assume you have seen the Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC combo stores? My favorite is the Dunkin' Donut/Baskin Robbins combo.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 05:09 PM CST
>Putting them all in one shop--to me personally--would be like putting McDonald's, Taco Bell, Arby's, and any other fast food restaurant you can think of all into one single restaurant...gross!

It's called a food court. :D
Prev_page Previous 1 3