Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 05:21 PM CST
<<It seems to me like combining niche items into one shop would save a ton of GM time on room design/shop deployment. Besides that, it's more user friendly. When someone asks, "Where is this map found?" What would you tell them without a player-driven shop list? "Oh, go look in 1 of these 4 shops?"

And yet there's a ton of shops for clothing. Should they start being put all together in one shop? There's a ton of shops for armor. Should they all have to be put into one single shop?

From a QC'ing standpoint, I'd MUCH rather go through a shop and QC the shop area and 30 or so items to be sold than the shop area and 100+ items. It is also MUCH easier to break it down into smaller tasks. Especially if you only have X amount of time to QC at any given point. You're also way less prone to missing things when you do smaller amounts at a time; or at least I am.

<<I assume you have seen the Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC combo stores? My favorite is the Dunkin' Donut/Baskin Robbins combo.

Yes. And they are absolutely gross. There's even a Taco Bell and a Long John Silver's together.

<<It's called a food court. :D

Food courts don't share the same KITCHEN, though. Which makes it nasty, in my opinion.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 05:40 PM CST

>And yet there's a ton of shops for clothing. Should they start being put all together in one shop? There's a ton of shops for armor. Should they all have to be put into one single shop?

First of all, I prefaced the map issue with "niche items." Each separate script group should stay in its own shop. But do all clothing/armor shops need to appear? Are some items really not up to par? Should inventory of shops be combined? These are questions someone in charge should not be afraid to address.

>From a QC'ing standpoint, I'd MUCH rather go through a shop and QC the shop area and 30 or so items to be sold than the shop area and 100+ items. It is also MUCH easier to break it down into smaller tasks. Especially if you only have X amount of time to QC at any given point. You're also way less prone to missing things when you do smaller amounts at a time; or at least I am.

It's called editing. Pick the best items/sets. Again, how many items did not sell at all? What % of total items? What % of shops made less than 250k? Since we're in restaurant comparisons, there is such a thing as a restaurant having too big of a menu.

Are there 5 sets of plain, unscripted 4x UAC gloves in various shops? Does there need to be? I can get plain unscripted 4x UAC gloves from the cart in Icemule and various other places anytime of the year, why so much effort into 5 different UAC gloves of the same function at this event?
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 05:46 PM CST
I don't have anything against maps or think that all maps need to go in one shop.

I do think everything that is zesty in any way or has any special properties should have a sign labeling it as such if the GM behind the shop wants them to sell. There were days in GS3 when players had the time and silvers to purchase everything in sight to "test" the item properties, but with 100+ shops and 6 event days (even with an extra shopping week), it's simply not feasible or possible. Who do you think is going to donate their silvers to buying random items, anyway? Most people can't even be bothered to find their way to a shop or location these days if it's not mapped out and spoonfed to them with a Lich ID. If it's not clear or previously teased/known what something is, people will likely assume it is not zesty, which doesn't help sales or the silver drain.

I do think there is a lot of filler, but this is a fine line because it is also nice to have some items that look nice off the shelf. Perhaps some of the filler that could be removed are things like the shop that had only a dozen belts of different colors on a table. Not to single anyone's work out, but did this serve any purpose?
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 07:58 PM CST

I think we also need something cleared up really.

We need the terms defined.

"Mechanical" Event.

"RP" Event.

"Service" Event.

"Merchant" Event.

Not to mention.. having some of each at an event does not make it all of them. (Captain Planet reference here)

Knowing what type of event we are looking at ahead of time is good, but the problem is sometimes people see a teaser for one thing, and assume that the event is something other then what it is.

We also got to stop assuming that just because a service was there one year, it will be there again. If we keep EVERY service at EG every year, there could never be new things. I like new things. I also like having more pay events in general, but that's just me.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/07/2016 08:10 PM CST
When I use the terms, here's what I mean (for festivals):

RP/Fluff events - The services would be things like custom swears. New scripts would be fluff in nature. There might be a story line or theme to go along.

Mechanical - These would be events selling/raffling/auctioning items with primarily mechanical benefits. Services (things provided by live GMs) would be things like enchanting, enhancive permanence, etc. Things that offer a MECHANICAL benefit in game.

Service events - This is an event that primarily focuses on the live GM services, as opposed to having a lot of shops, games, etc.

Merchant events - Similar to service events, but more focused on alterations, tattoos, features, what have you... things you might get from a live merchant in the regular game environment. Often includes shops.

Obviously most events are a combination of some or all of the above, but some are more focused on one area than others.

>>We also got to stop assuming that just because a service was there one year, it will be there again.

If you're not sure, ask on the boards. I'll tell you if it will be there, or if I don't know because it hasn't been approved, or if it's flat out not going to be. So will Wyrom. So will Tamuz. We're not trying to hide anything, so if you're interested in a specific thing, post it up!

~Liia
APM, Events & World Development

Dear My Favoritest Liia,
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my barbie-loving soul can reach... (even when you set me on fire)
~Issalya
Re: Event vs. Event 01/08/2016 04:46 PM CST
>>Briarmoon Cove is a brand new event, with new grounds and lore. It's a hybrid event consisting of desired services, a mini quest, and many newly coded items. It also has an intricate storyline that will have a lasting effect on the game. It was designed by GM Galene and heavily worked on by the World Development team. I know her team is very excited to bring this event to the game. It's all packed into a cheaper price point and will hopefully be an experience you can all enjoy.

Thank you for this Wyrom, it's exactly what I was hoping for (a brief synopsis of the type of event). Sounds like a blast, I can't wait :)

~Nichoel, the Muse.

Nature of rebellion, means to an end. Sometimes men are tempted by money and power and they forget what end they're serving. ~Brendan Roarke, SOA Irish King

AIM: LdyStrmyRn
Re: Event vs. Event 01/08/2016 06:46 PM CST
What festival do I need to attend to get enchanting, padding, and nice items like 4 person tents that can't be found anywhere else?

I don't think I'm alone in my quest to try to acquire just one really epic item in the course of my gemstone career, but I am also cheap so while I realize pay events are the best bet for achieving this, I generally only get to attend 1 maybe 2 pay extra events each year. In the past, EG seemed to over enough teasers of amazing weapons and gear to make me believe I had a chance of getting lucky and winning an epic item. Over time, I have seen a decline in enchanting services offered, unique/mechanically beneficial scripts (prophecy masks, switchable flare weapons, crate whistles, large tents, etc.) In recent years, I've had more success getting things like grobey zests added to my shield and special items like star maps and luukosian deathwort poisons at free events like festival of the fallen, gramwood, or the persimmon festival. Given the availability of premium points and the simucoin store to buy extra stuff, is it unfair to question the value in festivals like EG where its really unclear (imho) what we are paying for that is of higher value than items our normal subscription fee gives us access to?

I don't mind paying to attend and event for item unlockings provided there is a reasonable expectation that I could at some point get it fully unlocked, (see gambling kits, theammer weapons, vahmyr bandoliers, climate wear cloaks) or that once fully unlocked, additional tiers won't be added on later that I can never get added to my existing item that has had so much time put into it already. I'm not sure if this is as constructive as I had hoped, but my experience with the 2014 EG made me decide this wasn't the venue for me given my goals.

Archales
Re: Event vs. Event 01/09/2016 12:08 AM CST
>What festival do I need to attend to get enchanting, padding, and nice items like 4 person tents that can't be found anywhere else?

Your best bet would be a token auction, followed by a Droughtman's-like event.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/09/2016 08:37 AM CST

I think that is the rub right there, from my observation. There is not one event that will do that for you. You will need to dig deep and attend 4 events to fill that list. likely over the course of two years.

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: Event vs. Event 01/09/2016 05:35 PM CST
After watching how items have been introduced and sold over the years, from alterations to auction quality merchants, raffles, and premium services, with the addition of things like unlocking and fusion, and merchants that use their own currencies, I have to wonder if trying to monetize in-game items is a good approach. There are several attributes to a premium subscription that might be interesting to split up and offer a la carte (some are on the SimuCoin list already). Without naming names, there are systems that have been added to the game in recent years that could have been offered for a few dollars more a month. I also think more than a few players would pay a few bucks extra for various benefits, without the toys themselves. These are annuities; toys are not. Toys are worked on once or twice at paid events, maybe at free events, then resold for silver for the life of the item. Anything breaks on em, GM fixes them for free. They come up missing one day, GM replaces them for free (usually). I imagine a fancy toy is more work than it's worth, yet they keep getting churned out because these sell the events. To contrast, there are many things that fall under general gameplay, combat abilities, GM time, player shops, even improving toys directly that could be offered a la carte with SimuCoins. I realize this is wholly OOC, and the items are basically IC, but maybe there is a medium ground. Merchants that sell toys are fun, but maybe this shouldn't be so close to the center of the business plan.

Maybe this is the wrong folder for this, but since it's relevant, I also think any item past a certain enchant/ensorcell threshold, or any auction-quality item, should be attuned to the owner and require a sort of "reattunement charm" to work on someone else. All items get 1 free attunement, and must be attuned before they work. Just like transferring a character from one account to another, this becomes a revenue stream. And yes, I understand this isn't a popular suggestion, like most of my suggestions, but players - you ask for the game to thrive. These are basically prestige items, becoming either a fundamental part of the character or just an item to be resold. And, in theory, other income streams like these will reduce the pressure on the monthly subscription fee, and without all the overhead involved in setting up paid events.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/09/2016 05:43 PM CST
>Maybe this is the wrong folder for this, but since it's relevant, I also think any item past a certain enchant/ensorcell threshold, or any auction-quality item, should be attuned to the owner and require a sort of "reattunement charm" to work on someone else. All items get 1 free attunement, and must be attuned before they work. Just like transferring a character from one account to another, this becomes a revenue stream. And yes, I understand this isn't a popular suggestion, like most of my suggestions, but players - you ask for the game to thrive. These are basically prestige items, becoming either a fundamental part of the character or just an item to be resold. And, in theory, other income streams like these will reduce the pressure on the monthly subscription fee, and without all the overhead involved in setting up paid events.

No, it doesn't become a revenue stream. I guarantee attunement would kill high-end events in general because many people play with more than a single character. If an item isn't usable and readily able to be transferred among multiple characters, especially for Premium players, I guarantee that would kill any desire to acquire said item or service. They are not "prestige" items. "Prestige" items are high end fluff.

Similarly, if Premium exclusive services ever get sold a la carte, that would negate any need to have Premium subscriptions at all, much less multiple Premium. This isn't to discount at all the work that GM Jainna puts into making Premium so amazing, but it's simply economic fact.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/09/2016 08:56 PM CST
Fleur, if all premium services were a la carte, AND they were priced to sum up to what they do now, then I agree that premium "subscriptions" would no longer be needed. However, my suggestion doesn't necessarily preclude a la carte items summing up to more than the total of the premium subscriber pays now, or certain parts of premium not being included in the a la carte menu. Call it a bundle deal. These already exist. The value of the character slots alone on a premium account, using the a la carte pricing of $2.50 per character, is more than the monthly cost of premium. Granted, most people don't need that many. In fact, a couple of the current SimuCoin items reflect mechanics that were traditionally premium-only.

I also didn't say you couldn't have a character win an item for your alt. The process of attunement, and re-attunement later on, is something I see happening in-game using a verb after the item is acquired, not exactly when it is acquired. If immediate attunement is a problem - for example, you want to test an item out first - maybe there's a 7-day (or other) trial period when you first attune, and during that period anyone can use it but it displays messaging that it is not attuned to them. I think this process would add revenue and encourage people to play with high-end toys responsibly.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/09/2016 09:03 PM CST
>I think this process would add revenue and encourage people to play with high-end toys responsibly.

Nobody spends the money or silvers they do on high-end toys so that only a single character can use it at any given time without jumping through additional hurdles to change attunement. It's a non-starter. The interest in said items would be very low in general unless they were given out for next to nothing. This kind of thinking only comes from people who don't own high-end toys, but attunement would do nothing to help those people get access to them.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/09/2016 09:59 PM CST
Not sure if I agree or disagree with the idea of simucoin attunement potions but it does seem that you are arguing that such a system would both ruin the value of items while simultaneously not making them any more available to players with less money. I would think anything that decreased something's value would have to make it more readily accessible by default. If your point is that most folks would no longer desire it once it became widely available then I would agree, but it would absolutely increase access to them.

Vhorg Emberskald
Re: Event vs. Event 01/10/2016 07:03 AM CST

<<<<< This kind of thinking only comes from people who don't own high-end toys, but attunement would do nothing to help those people get access to them.

Very true Fleur... course these people also normally advocate for the items to be practically free so they too can get them. Basically.. the Occupy Elanthia Movement.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/11/2016 04:57 PM CST
Fleur et al, the focus of my first reply was increasing revenue for Simutronics as relates to paid events, focused more on recurring subscription fees. The thing at the bottom about attuning high-end items was added as a revenue suggestion, and perhaps it isn't realistic. I agree it takes away a freedom we have now as players. To me it seemed a step up from things such as making the Adventurer's Guild rewards 20% better for premium, or making fusion something you have to pay $10/mo to use, or saying certain symbols/signs/sigils require simucoins, or that you have to be premium to advance beyond level 60. It's like reducing spell effects, but saying you can continue to use them the old way if you pay $5/mo extra. None of these things are popular, but when there are financial goals to meet, sometimes unpopular things need to be looked at, even if only as a temporary experiment, rationalized by an IC storyline. To contrast, if something new was released that gives a pretty decent combat or stat bonus for $5/mo, sort of a "hero ring" or pin, would you consider buying it? I think more than a few players would.

All this aside, the essence of my original post was that maybe focusing on things that are easier to implement and support over time should be a priority over things that aren't. From what I've read, most of the paid events don't seem very easy to implement.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/11/2016 05:05 PM CST
>To contrast, if something new was released that gives a pretty decent combat or stat bonus for $5/mo, sort of a "hero ring" or pin, would you consider buying it?

No, I definitely wouldn't. I don't need to pay any more subscription fees. I think the base fees are quite enough. When I buy something, I need to own it. Renting in perpetuity makes no sense. It's the same reason people try to own real estate in real life.

This line of thought makes no sense if people think that even events cost too much.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/12/2016 02:00 AM CST
I would like to see attunement used more. More high end items released but become attuned to the winner.

Drauz
Re: Event vs. Event 01/12/2016 10:51 AM CST
>>I would like to see attunement used more. More high end items released but become attuned to the winner.

I'm not sure why this is suggested as a fix to high-end item influx. It helps when the item is set to a fixed location after release, but it still doesn't solve the fact that it exists. A healthy gaming economy is good for a game, so the idea that you can sell or trade an item isn't the reason why you don't see more items. So making items attuned would definitely not translate to more items get released. Item attrition would mean more items get released.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Event vs. Event 01/13/2016 09:03 PM CST
<<
I'm not sure why this is suggested as a fix to high-end item influx. It helps when the item is set to a fixed location after release, but it still doesn't solve the fact that it exists. A healthy gaming economy is good for a game, so the idea that you can sell or trade an item isn't the reason why you don't see more items. So making items attuned would definitely not translate to more items get released. Item attrition would mean more items get released.
>>

Item attrition will just never happen in this game. I believe you are already looking at taking disarming of character off the table.

What do you define as healthy? Would an increase of high end items really damage the economy that much? Did RtCF kill the economy? I would argue it helped the economy.
Drauz
Re: Event vs. Event 01/13/2016 09:55 PM CST

Rtcf may not of but the DR did in my opinion. When you are seeing 5x weapons go for 50k....the economy is way off.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/14/2016 01:38 AM CST
<<Rtcf may not of but the DR did in my opinion. When you are seeing 5x weapons go for 50k....the economy is way off.>>

Why? And what is DR?

Drauz
Re: Event vs. Event 01/14/2016 01:41 AM CST

Duskruin.

Duskruin hopper had so many 5x weapons in it it wasn't funny. Heck, I couldn't even sell some at 50k. In fact, i think i still have a pile of golvern ones sitting around. And don't get me started on runestaves... I had hundreds of the things. So many rare wood ones I could have built a house out of them. Even 6x runestaves were not as rare, more like uncommon from there.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/14/2016 09:46 PM CST
The attunement suggestion doesn't have anything to do with fixing an influx of high-end items. The original message mentioned high overhead (GM time) on paid merchant events. I suggested attunement of high-end items as an example of a way to generate a revenue stream with low overhead. It's an example of monetizing something that has already been implemented, in a limited way. It's not a very good example because it takes away, but it does have a side effect or two on selling or passing these items along to other folks. Things that add are better, such as: every society discovers 2 great new powers (+30, say) but can only be used by characters with a society charm, which costs $2/mo to maintain or it crumbles. Or it could use boost mechanics and not be an item.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/16/2016 02:25 AM CST
>Item attrition will just never happen in this game.

Well, I guess we see how Simu has decided to achieve item attrition. The only problem is it's going to cause character attrition at the same time, so good luck with finding people left willing to invest in events when it's obvious your money is likely to be completely wasted at any given time in the current direction the game is going.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/16/2016 01:12 PM CST
>>The attunement suggestion doesn't have anything to do with fixing an influx of high-end items. The original message mentioned high overhead (GM time) on paid merchant events. I suggested attunement of high-end items as an example of a way to generate a revenue stream with low overhead. It's an example of monetizing something that has already been implemented, in a limited way. It's not a very good example because it takes away, but it does have a side effect or two on selling or passing these items along to other folks. Things that add are better, such as: every society discovers 2 great new powers (+30, say) but can only be used by characters with a society charm, which costs $2/mo to maintain or it crumbles. Or it could use boost mechanics and not be an item.

How would this have both low overhead and generate revenue? I'm curious.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Event vs. Event 01/18/2016 12:06 PM CST
Wyrom, since the SimuCoin store already exists, a good part of the overhead cost of micro-transactions and add-ons is already in place. The rest of the answer depends on which example we're talking about:

a. For society powers, if they are simple and flat in effect and cost, and are available only upon mastery and there is no extra quest or step involved, then the cost to create them is in coding and testing the powers themselves. Most of the overhead cost should be up-front. Players who want to use them then buy access for their characters. The benefit here is really direct - combat prowess => possible ability to up-hunt => easier experience, better treasure, etc. Rather than having to buy a token for each use, I'd make it a monthly cost to access them, so people can just add $3/mo and use them like the other powers. It's too easy not to buy more when you are buying a handful at a time, but it's human nature to try to maximize the value of something you're paying for.

b. For premium services, mechanics are generally in place because premium accounts have been using them. It's just a matter of extracting one or two of them from premium-only and making them available a la carte via the store, with the understanding that some may be harder to do this with than others. The trick is not to make them monthly subscription costs, not a one-time thing. More players might buy part of a premium account than a full premium account. Locker slots might be popular if they were monthly and not so expensive. Players might be willing to rent private workshops and forges for a small fee, though these are taking the idea beyond what exists today. It was noted in an earlier reply that this type of change needs some research to ensure the premium account still has more bang for the buck, to encourage regular accounts to buy a la carte without substantially reducing the number of premium accounts.

c. For item attunement, although this is an unpopular idea: Once again, most of the overhead cost is up-front - creating a token in the SimuCoin store, a binary flag on an item that stores whether the item qualifies for attunement; a field that stores the character it's attuned to, or blank if unattuned; a date field needed if a trial period is allowed during attunement. One or two of these fields may already exist. Once attuned, it can't be unattuned again without a new token, but it could be passed to several characters for testing during the trial period. Then, adding a verb or modifying the existing attune verb to do the attune/unattune process. The challenging part is figuring out "when" and "what happens" with an unattuned item. This might be more straightforward for a weapon, but can an armor be worn if unattuned, but provide no benefit? Can a container be worn but have no pockets? Maybe there's already a fluff flag that can be set temporarily on unattuned items so they provide no benefit. The goal here is to create a revenue model that pays for the long-term support costs of items. Anyway, this isn't the simplest suggestion, even if it was just for new items, and there are others that are more palatable.

d. I haven't mentioned yet any of possible enhancive/fusion benefits, other combat abilities or maneuver bonuses, increased reward using the adventurer's guild, player shops, extra gifts or gameplay mechanics, bypassing cooldowns, reducing stamina or mana costs. Many of these were released as a regular part of the game, but in a freemium model would have an option to increase. Good candidates are central to play, things that don't need staff intervention to use or update. Toss a flat bonus on top for a $2/mo cost, and see who's interested. # of fusion slots in an item would have been great for this.

In any case, these are just suggestions for generating revenue. If kept simple, the cost to implement and support should be low. Paid events are fun and the unique places, rare things, and social interaction in them are far more interesting than just a boost in mechanics. These are ideas to supplement revenue from paid events with other sources that are closer to the monthly subscription model, purchased OOG and used IG.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/19/2016 09:58 AM CST
>>a. For society powers, if they are simple and flat in effect and cost, and are available only upon mastery and there is no extra quest or step involved, then the cost to create them is in coding and testing the powers themselves. Most of the overhead cost should be up-front. Players who want to use them then buy access for their characters. The benefit here is really direct - combat prowess => possible ability to up-hunt => easier experience, better treasure, etc. Rather than having to buy a token for each use, I'd make it a monthly cost to access them, so people can just add $3/mo and use them like the other powers. It's too easy not to buy more when you are buying a handful at a time, but it's human nature to try to maximize the value of something you're paying for.

We try to avoid direct combat advantages to be sold in the SimuCoin store. The SimuCoin store, mostly, is designed to serve as removing the time element in a lot of tasks in GS.

>b. For premium services, mechanics are generally in place because premium accounts have been using them. It's just a matter of extracting one or two of them from premium-only and making them available a la carte via the store, with the understanding that some may be harder to do this with than others. The trick is not to make them monthly subscription costs, not a one-time thing. More players might buy part of a premium account than a full premium account. Locker slots might be popular if they were monthly and not so expensive. Players might be willing to rent private workshops and forges for a small fee, though these are taking the idea beyond what exists today. It was noted in an earlier reply that this type of change needs some research to ensure the premium account still has more bang for the buck, to encourage regular accounts to buy a la carte without substantially reducing the number of premium accounts.

What Premium service is being desired at an a la carte method of distributing. The Albatross' Excursions were designed specifically for people who wanted to have GALD work done, which is the basics of the Alter Scroll system. Since all Alter Scroll requests are done by a GM, it's better to have an event around it because it's less taxing on staff performing the work if they did more than a handful at a time. If it's something higher up, like padding, enhancives, etc, again an event would likely encapsulate that service. Outside that, there isn't much we'd break apart from Premium. But I am curious as to what Premium benefits are wanted.

>>c. For item attunement, although this is an unpopular idea: Once again, most of the overhead cost is up-front - creating a token in the SimuCoin store, a binary flag on an item that stores whether the item qualifies for attunement; a field that stores the character it's attuned to, or blank if unattuned; a date field needed if a trial period is allowed during attunement. One or two of these fields may already exist. Once attuned, it can't be unattuned again without a new token, but it could be passed to several characters for testing during the trial period. Then, adding a verb or modifying the existing attune verb to do the attune/unattune process. The challenging part is figuring out "when" and "what happens" with an unattuned item. This might be more straightforward for a weapon, but can an armor be worn if unattuned, but provide no benefit? Can a container be worn but have no pockets? Maybe there's already a fluff flag that can be set temporarily on unattuned items so they provide no benefit. The goal here is to create a revenue model that pays for the long-term support costs of items. Anyway, this isn't the simplest suggestion, even if it was just for new items, and there are others that are more palatable.

Attunement is not a binary flag on an item. Every sort of attunement is handled specifically and differently in individual scripts. Some are simple, some are complex. This would be a massive ground up rewrite that I'd honestly say could take a long time and a lot of GM hours. We have over 21000 scripts in GS. Since this is mostly a hobbyist (job) opportunity and most people code differently, there wouldn't even be a way to grep the info in a meaningful way. But again, what do people think they'd gain by attunement? You attuned your item to your character/account. It now has absolutely no street value and you're still not getting any special services on it. More aren't being released because yours exists. Bind on Pickup/Equip methods of gear remove the economy from the players and place it solely into the company. They work when you have tens of thousands of players and constant development raising the bar and removing the value of current gear so you want new gear. They'd do nothing in GS unless we push for new items and make your current ones useless every 6 months. Do people really want this model?

>>d. I haven't mentioned yet any of possible enhancive/fusion benefits, other combat abilities or maneuver bonuses, increased reward using the adventurer's guild, player shops, extra gifts or gameplay mechanics, bypassing cooldowns, reducing stamina or mana costs. Many of these were released as a regular part of the game, but in a freemium model would have an option to increase. Good candidates are central to play, things that don't need staff intervention to use or update. Toss a flat bonus on top for a $2/mo cost, and see who's interested. # of fusion slots in an item would have been great for this.

This doesn't fit our current model of what we want in the SimuCoin store. We'd rather these things be possible in the base game.

>>In any case, these are just suggestions for generating revenue. If kept simple, the cost to implement and support should be low. Paid events are fun and the unique places, rare things, and social interaction in them are far more interesting than just a boost in mechanics. These are ideas to supplement revenue from paid events with other sources that are closer to the monthly subscription model, purchased OOG and used IG.

I'm all for supplement revenue to move away from the ticket model of events. In fact, Briarmoon Cove is likely going to be one of the last ones of it's kind. EG will likely stay the same, but we rather have players buy what they want out of an event than buying a ticket and being mostly unhappy with the services being offered.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Event vs. Event 01/19/2016 07:24 PM CST
<<Outside that, there isn't much we'd break apart from Premium. But I am curious as to what Premium benefits are wanted.>>

I would imagine FWI access would be desirable.

Drauz
Re: Event vs. Event 01/19/2016 07:56 PM CST
>I would imagine FWI access would be desirable.

As that is one of the only reasons people ever have multiple Premium, or any Premium for cross-realms transfers and spell-ups, that is never going to happen.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/19/2016 08:02 PM CST
>As that is one of the only reasons people ever have multiple Premium, or any Premium for cross-realms transfers and spell-ups, that is never going to happen.

Seriously. If anything, they should invent new benefits to give to premium, THEN break those off as individual transactions so premium accounts don't feel like they're being shorted.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/19/2016 08:40 PM CST
<<Seriously. If anything, they should invent new benefits to give to premium, THEN break those off as individual transactions so premium accounts don't feel like they're being shorted.>>

With the steady decline in membership making it easier for the economy would be excellent. Instead of the current, oh you're in the landing? Well i'm in Illistim. Looks like someone is going to be walking for an hour to get/sell an item.

Drauz
Re: Event vs. Event 01/19/2016 09:25 PM CST
>With the steady decline in membership making it easier for the economy would be excellent. Instead of the current, oh you're in the landing? Well i'm in Illistim. Looks like someone is going to be walking for an hour to get/sell an item.

Premium members subsidize most Basic/F2P subscriptions and events. With significantly fewer Premium accounts, you can expect Basic to go up a lot because a lot of Premium accounts would be lost with giving FWI access to everyone or on an a la carte basis.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/19/2016 11:13 PM CST
<<Premium members subsidize most Basic/F2P subscriptions and events. With significantly fewer Premium accounts, you can expect Basic to go up a lot because a lot of Premium accounts would be lost with giving FWI access to everyone or on an a la carte basis.>>

I don't agree with your statement, but if that is the case then perhaps they should update the premium rewards to make it worthwhile. Even create a small (inaccessible by walking) town that can be accessed by everyone for the sake of trading. Even making all the rooms unable to cast a spell in, so it isn't used for spellups.

Drauz
Re: Event vs. Event 01/20/2016 01:36 AM CST

There was something like that... and they squashed it because it technically a premium only benefit. If you make that available to everyone... (Like they did with bankbooks and locker manifests) you take something away from premium. Which makes it even less worth having.

They already sell some of the better premium benefits in the store. Lockers, for example, in every town, and locker boosts. You can already buy extra character slots regularly. I don't count the locker manifest, that don't even need to be there anymore what with the new verb in game. -grumble grumble-

There really isn't much they could sell. Other then FWI access, PP's, the new Premium teleport, or Private Homes. Selling PP's would really crash the economy. With enough cash, everyone could have 10x gear, and 10x padded armor. If you thought enhancives were bad now.. people could easily achieve max enhancives with simucoin store PP's.

Honestly, I doubt most players use all 15 of their extra slots.. unless they are a hoarder and still have 348 pinatas from EG from 2004. The char slots, and the lockers are prob the biggest bulk of the value in premium... and you can already buy them. Selling the other benefits would just ensure people dropped premium.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/20/2016 05:57 AM CST

<<<<I'm all for supplement revenue to move away from the ticket model of events. In fact, Briarmoon Cove is likely going to be one of the last ones of it's kind. EG will likely stay the same, but we rather have players buy what they want out of an event than buying a ticket and being mostly unhappy with the services being offered.

Maybe you are not ready to say yet, but what does this really mean? That there won't be "ticket" events in the future, and events will generally be more like duskruin? Or that events will be more like Duskruin, where the player decides how much to participate? I just ask because if there are no more box office ticket events, that is just another removal of a basic premium feature in the last year or so.

At the same time, I don't foresee an event where say.. weighting is offered, and everyone that wants it is able to get it. That would seem like a 180 from the Duskruin blow up this past summer.
Re: Event vs. Event 01/20/2016 01:49 PM CST
>>Maybe you are not ready to say yet, but what does this really mean? That there won't be "ticket" events in the future, and events will generally be more like duskruin? Or that events will be more like Duskruin, where the player decides how much to participate? I just ask because if there are no more box office ticket events, that is just another removal of a basic premium feature in the last year or so.

At this point, what it means is that we're exploring new models. There's something to be said for the idea that people can pay for as little or as much of what they want out of an event, and we'd like to go in that direction a lot more. Obviously, for some things there will still be limited releases. How we go about doing all this is still in the development stage, and there will likely be different methods tried over time.

Just as Wyrom tweaked things on Duskruin over each new run, we will continue to tweak event models as we see what works well and what is less popular. What we are NOT doing is looking to cut Premium benefits.

~Liia
APM, Events & World Development

Dear My Favoritest Liia,
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my barbie-loving soul can reach... (even when you set me on fire)
~Issalya
Re: Event vs. Event 01/20/2016 08:41 PM CST
I like the direction events are going.... I intensely dislike sitting in a room full of people waiting to be picked for a service. The screen scroll just kills my eyes. Also not always having the time as much as others to get full benefit of an event makes me not want to spend the money.

Just an elf about town...
Re: Event vs. Event 02/07/2016 11:21 AM CST
I agree i work A LOT 60-70 hrs a week. I can not sit in rooms for hours to win stuff. I don't have time to walk around for hours to figure out mini quests. Thats my problem and stuff like the mini quest are neat for people who have the time. But locking items behind them isn't neat.I spent 35$ on a ticket i think i should be able to purchase more for my money or get more services then some random over priced junky 4x gear or scripted fluff. I got nothing from this event that was good. 1 4x weapon and 1 cloak. No enchant no alterations no special item. So i wont buy another ticket to an event i do not know nothing about or this one i do it isn't worth it for me. Id rather spend my $$$ on silver then my silver in player shops and get what i want for my money. Also how hard would it be to put some info about the items in the shops. Some do a good job some are just a total crap shoot to what your buying. You know what people want to know. So put it on there.
Re: Event vs. Event 02/08/2016 03:00 PM CST

I think it's important to note the different types of events and what to expect beforehand. I think it's also important to cater to different types of gamers. And GS does not right now. You either grind hours and hours for EVERYTHING you do (experience, guild, bounty, merchant) or you're left behind.

While I was lucky enough to win a Dachre at BMC; as usual, I didn't feel I got my money's worth because of the time I was able to actually spend in game.

It's why I, and it seems other transient players, saw more value in Duskruin since it was something I could play as little or as much as I wanted and had time for/ It also didn't require me to sit around waiting for merchant services, which I simply am unable to do as much as I used to.

Duskruin was fantastic in how the items were distributed as well. Fluff, mechanical, etc. Anything/everything was represented and it worked great that it was offered a number of times to "save up". Expand that model.

My suggestion for a lot of these events, is make the Alter Scroll mechanism available for prizes of any type. Custom Verbs, Padding, Weighting, Custom Item Creation, GALD, etc. That allows us to play/grind on our own time and still get all the services and such that we want. A great example was BMC and enhancive permanence. There's no way I'm sitting around waiting for 2+ hours for that service, despite how awesomely fast it seemed to be going. Great service, but let me pick up a scroll and submit the item on my terms. It also allows GMs to put in time on THEIR terms also. I'd feel better about my money spent if I knew I was guaranteed service regardless of amount of game time I could put in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting getting rid of live merchants, that's some fun stuff, but give other options that require less in-game time please.

Best,
Jim