Prev_page Previous 1 3
Race relations in Elanthia 05/22/2007 08:41 PM CDT
Just trying to start some dialogue. I've read the documentation, seen some roleplaying which seems ot follow it and much which doesn't (and even more that isn't roleplaying at all). None of the characters I've rolled up are hard-core racists, though Leya certainly has her issues. I'm curious as to how racial biases in the game are perceived by players, particularly players of racist and/or anti-racist characters.

Loads more to follow... but real life beckons. ;)

~*Onzeleya's Imaginary Friend

"Would I spend forever here, and not be satisfied?"-- SM

Speaking to Onzeleya, Kishtrim says, "Your opinion is noted and summarily dismissed."
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/22/2007 11:03 PM CDT
I have a very racist pure elf and was surprised how much flack she got in Ta'Illistim from the locals. The thriving population isn't very fond of snooty elves it seems!

At this point in her career, she's visiting Wehnimer's; getting service of varying types is somewhat difficult, but she manages.

From my POV, there is a lot of room for racism in GS and- I prefer the tension -- mostly only when the population is great enough to support/accomodate those of differing views however. :>

-ktig
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/23/2007 09:58 PM CDT
I am not opposed to racism in Gemstone in general. I was when I first started playing because I didn't understand that each race was actually a separate species. Once I understood that, it became more acceptable to me. Nevertheless, there is one aspect of it that disturbs me deeply.

Generally, the characters I see as the objects of racism are dark elves, and then it's usually with derogatory terms that reference the color of their skin. (And I'm not talking about heated debates that turn from being IC to PvP.) I haven't seen this happen with any other race, and don't even know if it would be considered an insult if so. Half-krolvin are hated because of their krolvin lineage and the atrocities committed by the krolvin over the centuries (millennia?). Yet, I haven't heard anyone reference the color of their skin in insults. Dark elves are hated because of demonology, yet are called darkies, mud elves, etc.

If this didn't so closely mirror real life, it would be easy to separate real-life racism from Gemstone species-ism.

-wyn
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/23/2007 10:37 PM CDT
>>Generally, the characters I see as the objects of racism are dark elves, and then it's usually with derogatory terms that reference the color of their skin. (And I'm not talking about heated debates that turn from being IC to PvP.) I haven't seen this happen with any other race, and don't even know if it would be considered an insult if so. Half-krolvin are hated because of their krolvin lineage and the atrocities committed by the krolvin over the centuries (millennia?). Yet, I haven't heard anyone reference the color of their skin in insults. Dark elves are hated because of demonology, yet are called darkies, mud elves, etc.

Off the top of my head, I've seen characters insulted as: monkeys, beasts, dogs (half-krolvin) or vermin, kobolds, rats (gnomes, dwarves). The reasons why should be obvious.

Why not their skin? It's about easy insults, and appearance is an easy one. For dark elves, what's the defining feature? Dark skin. Other races have their skin tones less clearly defined, though I've seen (normal) elves called pasty or pale before.

How do you crudely demean a dark elf for demonology? He Who Meddles With That Which Should Not Be is more of a compliment. I absolutely invite the more inventive players (and characters) to use less shallow insults, but the defining physical features of a race are an easy and direct target for your run-of-the-mill Elanthian bigot.

>>If this didn't so closely mirror real life, it would be easy to separate real-life racism from Gemstone species-ism.

It seems like a pretty superficial feature to me.
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 01:27 AM CDT
>>>How do you crudely demean a dark elf for demonology? He Who Meddles With That Which Should Not Be is more of a compliment. I absolutely invite the more inventive players (and characters) to use less shallow insults, but the defining physical features of a race are an easy and direct target for your run-of-the-mill Elanthian bigot.<<<

I think common sense should be used when thinking up racial or derogatory slurs and insults to hurl about in Gemstone. The main concept people should latch onto would be not to use actual racist expressions from reality, even if they might apply to, say, Dark Elves. Yes, they have black skin (or, most of them do, anyway). Yes, in reality we have some really horrible things we can say about people with black skin. One plus the other does not equal hurling real life racist comments at a black skinned Faendryl.

Instead, why not think of something clever, original, and most importantly not connected with real life racism?

As a side thought regarding all this, I find it interesting (as well as disturbing) that our culture so strongly associates the concept of black skin with evil, wrong, or not-favorable. Look at Gemstone itself. When a race of "evil" elves was thought up, their defining physical characteristic was descided to be the fact they have black skin. Meanwhile, the "normal" elves are genetically incapable of even being born with black skin. These elves are the race of the beautiful, the chosen of the Gods, and they are all white, or at least of fair/light skin.

A voice murmurs, "He's listening to the lobsters again... if we surprise him now, he'll never know we're here. We might just be able to restrain him before he does anything dangerous."

You exclaim, "Don't blame me! He told me to ASSIST!"
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 02:03 AM CDT
<<Generally, the characters I see as the objects of racism are dark elves, and then it's usually with derogatory terms that reference the color of their skin. (And I'm not talking about heated debates that turn from being IC to PvP.) I haven't seen this happen with any other race, and don't even know if it would be considered an insult if so. Half-krolvin are hated because of their krolvin lineage and the atrocities committed by the krolvin over the centuries (millennia?). Yet, I haven't heard anyone reference the color of their skin in insults. Dark elves are hated because of demonology, yet are called darkies, mud elves, etc.>>

I agree that some of the slurs used against dark elves hit a bit too close to home in regards to RL racism. But I think you've been missing a lot of the other insults tossed out there. I've definitely seen slurs against half-krolvin based on their skin color. My half-elf calls aelotoi bug people because of their wings. I think if you really pay attention that a lot of the slurs cast relate directly to appearances and it's not at all relegated to just dark elves.

It actually really bums me that "darkie" is a disapproved term because of its RL connotations, because I started out having my (extremely lower class) dark elf use that term herself, because she'd often heard it applied to her as she was growing up. But I dropped using it in the game several years ago after reading on the boards that the term disturbed a lot of players. (Not that I don't understand why it bothers people and agree with the reasons, but having to eliminate it stunted something that I felt was important in her portrayal.)

Zyllah
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 02:27 AM CDT
>>I think common sense should be used when thinking up racial or derogatory slurs and insults to hurl about in Gemstone. The main concept people should latch onto would be not to use actual racist expressions from reality, even if they might apply to, say, Dark Elves. Yes, they have black skin (or, most of them do, anyway). Yes, in reality we have some really horrible things we can say about people with black skin. One plus the other does not equal hurling real life racist comments at a black skinned Faendryl.

I agree. Which is to say, it is inappropriate to call a Faendryl the "n-word" (for the sake of this post not being pulled). But I would consider "darkie," while being a slur that has seen use in the real world, not intrinsically linked to Earth race relations - and therefore reasonable to use against a dark elf. (After all, millions of people have had thousands of years in the real world to come up with all kinds of sexist/racist/*ist slurs. If we banned them all, we would have far less crude language to work with.)

I'm fine with anti-dark elf slurs based on skin tone, but they should be legitimately grounded in Elanthia, not dominated by real-world connotations.

>>As a side thought regarding all this, I find it interesting (as well as disturbing) that our culture so strongly associates the concept of black skin with evil, wrong, or not-favorable. Look at Gemstone itself. When a race of "evil" elves was thought up, their defining physical characteristic was descided to be the fact they have black skin. Meanwhile, the "normal" elves are genetically incapable of even being born with black skin. These elves are the race of the beautiful, the chosen of the Gods, and they are all white, or at least of fair/light skin.

I thought about mentioning this too in an earlier post, but we shouldn't be too quick to blame "our culture," except in the broadest strokes. Dichotomies of white-light-good/black-dark-bad in Western society (can't speak for others from my own knowledge) date back at least to pre-Socratic Greeks and probably before that.

More proximally, there's the influence of dark elves in other fiction and gaming - particularly the drow of D&D. So this a hard archetype to buck. It's undergirded with traditions in millennia of culture and years of genre, and it would certainly stick out if it were reversed. (See, in GemStone, the light elves are evil and the dark elves are good! Ooh, egalitarian!)
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 02:50 AM CDT
>>It actually really bums me that "darkie" is a disapproved term because of its RL connotations, because I started out having my (extremely lower class) dark elf use that term herself, because she'd often heard it applied to her as she was growing up. But I dropped using it in the game several years ago after reading on the boards that the term disturbed a lot of players. (Not that I don't understand why it bothers people and agree with the reasons, but having to eliminate it stunted something that I felt was important in her portrayal.)

Hmm, I was composing as you posted this. That suggest that, contrary to what I wrote above, "darkie" may carry too much real-world connotation. But it ought to be possible to cast aspersions on a dark elf's skin without the slur itself having a strong tie to the real world...

...on the other hand, there may be some players who will never be comfortable with others using slurs that reference a dark skin tone at all, even if it's something completely invented like, I don't know, "night-skin." But that's a broader issue about sensitivity I don't want to get into.

If dark-skin slurs are in bounds provided that the insults are sufficiently distant from real-world terms, it should be possible to come up with fun new Elanthian slurs to criticize dark elves for their skin. Do I smell a Premium monthly contest topic? (Joking.)
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 07:25 AM CDT
Hah. I would laugh and laugh if they made it against policy to use slurs referring to the color of a dark elf's skin. It would most certainly be indicative of the times...not Elanthian times, but ours of course.

Evarin and his Mis'ri

Scroll Infusion Collection Guide:
http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Spell_Collection_Guide_%28scroll_infusion%29

Solutions for your Scroll Based Needs:
http://www.playershops.com/Merjinia - STOCKED 10 April 07
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 07:36 AM CDT
>It actually really bums me that "darkie" is a disapproved term because of its RL connotations, because I started out having my (extremely lower class) dark elf use that term herself, because she'd often heard it applied to her as she was growing up. But I dropped using it in the game several years ago after reading on the boards that the term disturbed a lot of players. (Not that I don't understand why it bothers people and agree with the reasons, but having to eliminate it stunted something that I felt was important in her portrayal.)

I feel your pain there. But I also feel it was a necessary move in the end. Some players get carried up in the moment and enforce their RP on people who clearly are not enjoying it. They get told stop and the message doesn't go through. In order to play with others you can't always be the winner. You have to give half half.

The problem, is most IG racism portrayed by players, tends to leave one party the victor, and the other party the failure. In the heat of the play, we forget that there's another breathing human being behind that toon, and do not give an "inch".

Also we have many kids playing the game. Sometimes the urge to stomp on, the already stomped, is too strong when you can only see yourself, and you can't see the implications of losing graciously in an environment, where you play with others.

I love the concept of racist elves etc. I only find it a problem, when people, who forget we are all people, play upon it. No one likes losing, but you can't always win. IMO, if you play, in a social game, you play to do both. To fail to lose, occasionally, to that toon you've been beating upon in an act of RP, usually leaves me a sour taste as a player.(cause then I spend the entire time worrying how the player behind the toon feels). It's a give and take.
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 07:45 AM CDT
Wait...you cannot actually use the term "Darkie" in this game? My god, I was joking. It was seriously banned as offensive? That was the whole POINT!

I can see the N word, as that is inappropriate and out of genre. But Darkie? They are known as DARK ELVES. Come on, people.

Evarin and his Mis'ri

Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 08:25 AM CDT
>>>They are known as DARK ELVES. Come on, people.<<<

You can always call them elfies.

A voice murmurs, "He's listening to the lobsters again... if we surprise him now, he'll never know we're here. We might just be able to restrain him before he does anything dangerous."

You exclaim, "Don't blame me! He told me to ASSIST!"
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 08:31 AM CDT
That term is completely offensive both to me as a player, and to my character as an elf. I move it be banned.

Evarin and his Mis'ri

Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 09:36 AM CDT
>>As a side thought regarding all this, I find it interesting (as well as disturbing) that our culture so strongly associates the concept of black skin with evil, wrong, or not-favorable. Look at Gemstone itself. When a race of "evil" elves was thought up, their defining physical characteristic was descided to be the fact they have black skin. Meanwhile, the "normal" elves are genetically incapable of even being born with black skin.

A short trip over to the history files of the gemstone website will reveal that dark elves were thought of and made out to be evil before there skin changed colors. It has nothing to do with their skin color, but everything to do with their actions.

And elves in elanthia can't have black skin because they don't "tan" as much. And darker skin primarily comes from the pigmints in the skin absorbing more sunlight. That is why northern people generally have light skin, and the closer you are to the equator generally has darkder skin.

-player of hakwea

"Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him" ~Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
The demonologists Handbook: http://www.geocities.com/gsdemonologist/
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 10:33 AM CDT
>>I feel your pain there. But I also feel it was a necessary move in the end. Some players get carried up in the moment and enforce their RP on people who clearly are not enjoying it. They get told stop and the message doesn't go through. In order to play with others you can't always be the winner. You have to give half half.

>>I love the concept of racist elves etc. I only find it a problem, when people, who forget we are all people, play upon it. No one likes losing, but you can't always win. IMO, if you play, in a social game, you play to do both. To fail to lose, occasionally, to that toon you've been beating upon in an act of RP, usually leaves me a sour taste as a player.(cause then I spend the entire time worrying how the player behind the toon feels). It's a give and take.

This sounds like an issue with players going too far while roleplaying a mean character... any particular words that they might use to that effect are a symptom of their overzealousness. The term "darkie" wouldn't be the problem, it's the behavior of the jerk using it inappropriately.
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 06:14 PM CDT
Let's see. Here's a list of racial slurs my characters have used or have heard.

humans Empire scum, political cattle, warmongers
Dwarves stunties, bearded ladies
Elves slant ear (regardless if elf, sylph or dark elf)
gnomes human lawn ornaments, punt-ball
aelotoi bugs, kiramon bait, flies
half-krolvin apes, walking carpet (yes I stole that.. shame shame)
half-elves half human, deported offspring
halflings foot-kissers, shag-foot, fenghai spawn
eirithians baldy, kissing cousins, cat-eye (though probably not too much of an insult there)
giantmen tree trunk, bulk, fatty (and variations thereof)

-G
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 06:16 PM CDT
oh right. Forgot to mention. Threaten the aelotoi with web. They love that. Heh-heh.
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 07:46 PM CDT
The way my character feels about humans was summed up perfectly by agent Smith:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I?ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we... are the cure."

Evarin and his Mis'ri

Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 07:48 PM CDT
It's the stench!

Nessu
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 08:15 PM CDT
<<Wait...you cannot actually use the term "Darkie" in this game? My god, I was joking. It was seriously banned as offensive? That was the whole POINT!

No, it hasn't been "banned." It's simply that a lot of people get flak over it, so have abandoned using it.

-Grendeg
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 09:20 PM CDT
How can anyone not list "half-breed" for half-elves among their racial slurs?

I remember saying "bugger" once and an aelotoi in the area got offended. I wasn't even referring to them or anyone of their race, but it worked out so great I decided to just play off that it had been my intention to offend them all along. Good times.

-Farn & Co.
AIM: LastMinutePrayer
Email: play.net address
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 09:36 PM CDT
I guess my question is: Why is it an insult to call a dark elf a darkie unless you're drawing on real-world comparisons? Why would I, as an Elanthian, think that slinging that word at a dark elf would be an insult? And why should I, as a dark elf, feel denigrated because someone was remarking on my skin color? If someone were to reference a half-krol's skin color, it would be a prefix to the actual insult because I doubt that either the insulter or the insulted would find just "blue-skinned" or "grey-skinned" (or whatever other adjectives you can come up with) an insult.

I get all the references to monkeys and dogs because let's face it, half-krols bark and are animalistic (they are a different species, after all). All of the other insults are related to things in-game so they bear no relation to real life. If you called someone a goblin or a troll in real life, no one would look at you and say "You racist!"

I find it sad that as soon as you bring up a word that bothers you, people get in a huff about censorship and/or political correctness. It's not about either. It's about respecting that groups of people have experienced real-life racism and find certain terms objectionable. No one's calling on Gemstone to ban every possible racist or nominally racist term in the game. Darkie just has an established and deep-rooted negative connotation in real life and therefore, it disturbs me to see it used in game, especially when the only reason for doing so is that people find it objectionable based on RL experiences.

-wyn
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/24/2007 11:42 PM CDT
<<I guess my question is: Why is it an insult to call a dark elf a darkie unless you're drawing on real-world comparisons? Why would I, as an Elanthian, think that slinging that word at a dark elf would be an insult? And why should I, as a dark elf, feel denigrated because someone was remarking on my skin color?

So you're asking why anyone should feel offended when referred to in a pejorative manner by their skin color (or some other physical attribute)? It's all in the intent behind the words, not necessarily the words. If "darkie" is used in a pejorative sense by one race against another one, then it's an insult. Even on earth, there are all manner of insults that are nonsense words (or based on some physical attribute) that are offensive, simply because they're intended as offensive.

So yes, "darkie" can be an insult to a dark elf.

-Grendeg
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 06:06 AM CDT
<<Wait...you cannot actually use the term "Darkie" in this game? My god, I was joking. It was seriously banned as offensive? That was the whole POINT!>>

No it's not banned. I made a decision as a player to stop using it when posts on the message boards made it clear to me that it hit too close to home for a significant number of other players and that people using it in the game bothered them a great deal.

That's not always the case with things that people complain about. A lot of the time I think they just need to accept the world of Elanthia isn't modern America and get a thicker skin. But in this particular case it wasn't just one or two oversensitive people whining, it was a relatively lengthy thread with a lot of different types of players agreeing that it bothered them. I understood where they were coming from and felt that my right to use the word in my RP was less important than their right to feel comfortable in the game.

Dirt-elf is still a good substitute.

Zyllah
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 06:59 AM CDT
It would be my opinion that entirely too much RL meaning is given to things in game. Because the reverse is inherently impossible.

When I can cast call wind and have it dust my house, or minor water to clean the toilet, or use my kids sidewalk chalk and a map of Mexico to rip a rift in reality and come out on the other side instead of paying plane fare - then I can accept that "darkie" or "halfbreed" or any other ingame insult has RL connotations.

It is not the player calling the other player a deragatory name. Remember, people have no idea what color you are sitting behind your keyboard - just because a character is a female, does not mean the player is!

Everyone playing this game has baggage. Gender, age, disability, race, ethnicity, etc etc etc. But that baggage belongs to the player, not the character. Would it surprise you to know that I am actually a one armed, 6'6" Puerto Rican ex-pro wrestler? What possible difference should that make to my character? None.

I can, however, accept and respect that some people do not want to play to a race/species bias in game, for personal reasons. I don't think anyone would tell you you have to. But many people will look askance at you if your halfling has a romantic liason with a Dhe'nar.

RheisIa's Witch

...and you will know her by the trail of limbs.
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 07:39 AM CDT
Good to know, Zyllah. Thank you for the clarification.

Evarin and his Mis'ri

Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 08:32 AM CDT
<<Dirt-elf is still a good substitute.>>

Lisera's preferred term for Dark Elves on the whole is "outcast," which I imagine to be the term she grew up with.

According to the docs, the Nalfein and the Vaalor asserted that the Faendryl are no longer Elves after the destruction of Ta'Ashrim. The Dhe'nar also are no longer Elves because they rejected Elven culture, and even now live a twisted perversion of their original culture. Both groups gave up their rights as Elves when they left the Empire, so they can no longer be called Elves, dark or otherwise. The Faendryl and the Dhe'nar are also no longer welcome into Elven society, making them an outcast.

As a Nalfein, she won't make her bias known. If she's referring to a specific individual or a group from the same culture, she's just as likely to call them Faendryl or Dhe'nar as she would call them outcasts. In my experience, however, no one's really picked up on the meaning of the term.

Gretchen

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 08:34 AM CDT
Well, I imagine the Faendryl would take umbrage with the term, but the Dhe'nar would likely just shrug.

Evarin and his Mis'ri

http://www.playershops.com/Merjinia - RESTOCKED 23 May 07
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 09:39 AM CDT
Quite possibly, Evarin. No one's picked up on it yet, though.

Pity.

Gretchen

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 09:36 PM CDT
When I can cast call wind and have it dust my house, or minor water to clean the toilet, or use my kids sidewalk chalk and a map of Mexico to rip a rift in reality and come out on the other side instead of paying plane fare - then I can accept that "darkie" or "halfbreed" or any other ingame insult has RL connotations.

OK, so if characters started using the "n" word or any number of other real-life racial slurs (for Jews, Mexicans, Irish, Italians, <name your favorite heritage here>), it would be all right because they're being used in game?

It is not the player calling the other player a deragatory name. Remember, people have no idea what color you are sitting behind your keyboard - just because a character is a female, does not mean the player is!

Just because someone objects to the term "darkie" doesn't mean they've been called one in real life and are thus, hyper-sensitive to the term and think that everyone who uses it must be referring to them personally. I'm all for separation between real life and the game and am pretty adept at taking things in the game as being in game. But I think people are scrambling for a justification to fit this term into the game when the reason people use it is real-life associations.

But, you know, whatever. I'm not interested in policing people. I only wanted to bring out a particular part of racism in the game that bothers me. As I said earlier, I'm not against in-game racism in general and don't think that it can be equated to real life.

Would it surprise you to know that I am actually a one armed, 6'6" Puerto Rican ex-pro wrestler?

Well... yeah, kinda, since I think I remember you saying that you play a tall character because you're short IRL. ;-)

-wyn
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 10:06 PM CDT
>OK, so if characters started using the "n" word or any number of other real-life racial slurs (for Jews, Mexicans, Irish, Italians, <name your favorite heritage here>), it would be all right because they're being used in game? - wyn

I think that what was trying to be said here was, "When Elanthia becomes real life, then I'll accept that Elanthian slurs translate to real-life," not, "Using real-life racial slurs in Elanthia is acceptable." It's like those logic puzzles where they say, "If A is true, then B is true. If B is true, then C is true. If C is true, then is A true?" In case you're wondering what the answer is, it is, "Maybe?" They don't always apply in reverse, and in this case... they really don't apply in reverse at all.

Racial slurs in a game where the racial slur cannot be applied to the person behind the character (such as "blue ape" and "half-human") should only be offensive to the character and not the player. However, racial slurs that can be applied to the player ("canuck", the N-word, etc.) should never really be considered appropriate or even IC in Elanthia, since we don't really have canadians, africans, jews, or mexicans in Elanthia. Considering that there are few restrictions on skin color, it makes associating skin colors with certain races (other than, of course, a dark elf) somewhat difficult.

I don't really see racial slurs in GemStone as being negative unless they're being used to directly insult the player behind the character. However, a lot of people have issues separating the character from themselves and may take offense to the term no matter what.

I admit that it took me years to get comfortable with racism in GemStone. Though, even now, my character doesn't resort to racial slurs unless he is identified by a racial slur first. It is fun to remind people that they're not the only ones that can define people by their race. Though, I don't really consider my character racist at all due to his unusual upbringing; but he is still a dark elf.

-Andy, Divid's, who finally decided to say something about this drawn-out topic.

Knowledge is power. http://www.krakiipedia.org/
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 10:31 PM CDT
I don't really see racial slurs in GemStone as being negative unless they're being used to directly insult the player behind the character. However, a lot of people have issues separating the character from themselves and may take offense to the term no matter what. >>

Well said.

Evarin and his Mis'ri

http://www.playershops.com/Merjinia - RESTOCKED 23 May 07
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 11:40 PM CDT
I think that what was trying to be said here was, "When Elanthia becomes real life, then I'll accept that Elanthian slurs translate to real-life," not, "Using real-life racial slurs in Elanthia is acceptable." It's like those logic puzzles where they say, "If A is true, then B is true. If B is true, then C is true. If C is true, then is A true?" In case you're wondering what the answer is, it is, "Maybe?" They don't always apply in reverse, and in this case... they really don't apply in reverse at all.
- Andy

If Ted is the same height as Bob and Bob is the same height as Jack, Ted and Jack are the same height.

"Darkie" is a real-life racial slur. I can think of some other real-life racial slurs that would fit perfectly into the Elanthian universe, but I would never dream of using them because of their real-life connotations. No player's going to get up in arms because another character called his character an orc or a troll or a thousand other insults that originated in-game.

However, this term comes from real-life and blurs the line between the game and reality. I have yet to hear a convincing argument why it should be an insult in Elanthia. Dark elves have dark skin. So what? Half-krols have blue or grayish skin. Elves are lily-white. Yet I don't hear anyone calling H-Ks "blue-boys" or elves "Whitey."

-wyn
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 11:46 PM CDT
>>However, this term comes from real-life and blurs the line between the game and reality. I have yet to hear a convincing argument why it should be an insult in Elanthia. Dark elves have dark skin. So what? Half-krols have blue or grayish skin. Elves are lily-white. Yet I don't hear anyone calling H-Ks "blue-boys" or elves "Whitey."

I submit that if they were called White Elves or Blue Men they probably would be.
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/25/2007 11:50 PM CDT
<<If Ted is the same height as Bob and Bob is the same height as Jack, Ted and Jack are the same height.

You went the wrong way. Ted => Bob and Bob => Jack does imply Ted => Jack. It does not imply that Jack => Ted. In your example it happens to be true, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

-Grendeg
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/26/2007 12:07 AM CDT
<<I submit that if they were called White Elves or Blue Men they probably would be.>>

Heh, I agree. The term "darkie" definitely has its source right within the game because of the name of the race. I don't believe that people saw elves with dark skin and then thought of some RL racial slur for dark skin that they could transport into the game. It's right in the race label and is as simple as that. It's just that since it is also a RL racial slur that it causes some problems with player perceptions.

Zyllah
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/26/2007 01:55 AM CDT
Weighing in because I feel like people are dancing around an importance point but not saying it outright.

The difference between using "darkie" and other terms, the "n-word" in particular, is that there is NO reason whatsoever for an Elanthian character to know that word. None.

But "darkie" could easily be an insult derived naturally from Elanthian experience with races of darker hues. For non-dark elves in particular, whose skin cannot be nearly as dark as that of a Dhe'nar or Faendryl (that's correct, isn't it?), it makes perfect sense that the term "darkie" would arise as a derogatory term for dark elves.

A racial slur is meant to isolate the target from the one casting the aspersion, to emphasize a difference and cast it in such a light as to insinuate that the target is somehow inferior because of that difference. Skin tone is an immediately identifiable difference in this case, and it's perfectly natural that it could have come into being as a slur in Elanthian society, without and help from the players behind the characters.

And.. an empath has the chance to boneshatter someone. That's pretty violent.

Accidents happen to pacifists too, you know.
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/26/2007 02:14 AM CDT
>>But "darkie" could easily be an insult derived naturally from Elanthian experience with races of darker hues. For non-dark elves in particular, whose skin cannot be nearly as dark as that of a Dhe'nar or Faendryl (that's correct, isn't it?), it makes perfect sense that the term "darkie" would arise as a derogatory term for dark elves.

Also darkie might not nessacarily refer to the "skin" of the Dark elf. But more to the nature surrounding their transformation, and the stigmas associated with them. As it was the mana flows of rhoska'tor that darkened the skin and transformed them. Which was left over by despanna a "dark" person.

They dable in necromancy and demonology, "dark" arts. The Faendryl wiped out a whole elven house, certainly "dark" in nature.

WWED? (What would elanthians do)

-player of hakwea

"Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him" ~Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
The demonologists Handbook: http://www.geocities.com/gsdemonologist/
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/26/2007 02:31 AM CDT
Also, there is a reason that I did not specifically use the term "darkie" as an example, though I do feel that the term fits well in GS and doesn't carry enough negative connotation on Earth to prevent its use in GS; regardless of that, none of my characters use the term. Primarily because it sounds like something a child would say right along with "oopsies" and "sowwries."

And thank you, Grendeg, for re-stating my logic puzzle. I did specifically state that the example CAN be true, but isn't always, and definately isn't in this case. The comparison of height would be an example of where it is true, yes.

-Andy, Divid's

Knowledge is power. http://www.krakiipedia.org/
Re: Race relations in Elanthia 05/26/2007 02:31 AM CDT
My thoughts...

First to say that GS and it's world is completely seperate from real life and real people, I think, is a simplistic thing to say to cover up whatever it is you want to do within the game. Real people created the game, wrote the Lore, the creatures, the races, real people run the show, and real people play the characters.

Fantasy does reflect reality. Our choices within the game come from real life modern people.

Who created the "dark elves" in the first place? my guess... would be... a white male. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing that most online rp games/dungeons and dragons/fantasy literature have come from white males as well... so... their viewpoint has been written into all of these things.

Personally I think racism becomes rather lame, a way to just sling insults without previous cause just because the person wants to be a general 'ss. Just because it's in the Official Doc's doesn't mean it has to be accepted, or should be exactly. :: shrugs ::

It seems like racism within the game is just an easy cop-out for people to be rude to other people. It has become so cliche and boring.

Though it has been a long while since I've played these games... so maybe my trial "warming up to in-game racism" period hasn't expired yet. :D
Prev_page Previous 1 3