Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 10:13 AM CST
>>This bit has me confused. Are you saying without an attunement, the spell 411 cannot be cast unless you happen to have the lore ranks for the unknown lore requirement that cast of 411 will take? So, we'll need to recast 411 multiple times until we come upon the flare type that we have lores for? Or will 411 somehow know that we have a certain lore (without attuning) and hone in on that lore?

Wasn't to hard to test and yes, you currently have to cast multiple times (depending on luck) if unattuned or attuned and set to random and you don't have enough in all the lores to successfully eBlade the item you are casting on. The first time the eBlade took it put on an electrical flare and then the second time it took it put on a water flare. Which makes since I guess since Water or Air could both be lightning. I tested many more times and could only get water or lightning.

>>It doesn't seem very user friendly if we have to recast 411 over and over until we land upon the lore type that we have trained (without attuning).

I agree, please just make it smarter in that it knows which lores you have enough skill in to eBlade the item your casting on and only randomizes between those lores.

Elemental Lore - Air...............| 120 30
Elemental Lore - Earth.............| 105 25
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 105 25
Elemental Lore - Water.............| 152 52

>pre 411
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Blade spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast my mace
You gesture at a light brown faenor mace.
A bolt of energy leaps from your hand to the mace but is deflected. The energy dissipates into the air.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>pre 411
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Blade spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast my mace
A bolt of energy leaps from your hand to the mace but is deflected. The energy dissipates into the air.
>pre 411
Your spell is ready.
>cast my mace
A bolt of energy leaps from your hand to the mace which seems to absorb the energy. After a few moments the mace begins to shine with a brilliant luminescence.
>look mace
The mace is surrounded by a scintillating silver light.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>pre 417
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Dispel...
Your spell is ready.
>cast mace
A bolt of energy jumps from the faenor mace to the ground.
>look mace
You see nothing unusual.
>pre 411
Your spell is ready.
>cast my mace
>pre 411
Your spell is ready.
>cast my mace
>pre 411
Your spell is ready.
>cast my mace
A bolt of energy leaps from your hand to the mace which seems to absorb the energy. After a few moments the mace begins to shine with a brilliant luminescence.
>look mace
The mace is surrounded by a scintillating blue light.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 10:27 AM CST
>> So if you are not attuned or have your attunement set to random, yes, you will have to repeatedly cast 411 to get the desired result. Or you can set your attunement and just cast once.
>> GameMaster Estild

Apparently it took me a few minutes longer to test and the question was already answered and confirmed ;-).

Estild,
Unless it's super difficult change it seems like it would be more user friendly to have it check your lore skills to see which one's you have that can successfully eBlade the item in question and just randomize between those flares if your unattuned or set to random. It seems odd to cast the spell at an item you know you have the lore skills for it to work, and not have it work.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:19 AM CST
We are apparently the slot machine profession.

Get lucky and your eblade will actually use the lore training you have and work on your item. (Unless you want to attune, a permanent decision with no ability to change it although unimplemented spells may use this ability.)
Get lucky and your bolt will hit a vital location.
Get lucky and your stoneskin will react when you're instantly killed by an attack because you're caught in offensive stance.
Get lucky and you won't fumble your final enchant cast and completely obliterate your item.
Get lucky and that 414 will deflect a single attack.
Get lucky and that 430 will add crit padding for one attack!
Get lucky and that 901 will stun shock!
Get lucky and that 516 will add 20 extra mana!
Get lucky and that 508 will add extra TD!

I don't understand why you like this method or why it has to be applied to every single ability we have. It leads to less than desirable results and disappointment overall.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:29 AM CST

>I don't understand why you like this method or why it has to be applied to every single ability we have. It leads to less than desirable results and disappointment overall.

With 411, all you have to do is attune to the element for the lore you are properly trained in. Attunement is being encouraged, as it should be.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:32 AM CST
>With 411, all you have to do is attune to the element for the lore you are properly trained in. Attunement is being encouraged, as it should be.

Spiritualists don't have to attune to anything to get their spells to even work. Random, with the existence of the lightning flare, rules out the use of many spells such as 502 in many hunting areas involving water.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:36 AM CST
VANKRASN39
With 411, all you have to do is attune to the element for the lore you are properly trained in. Attunement is being encouraged, as it should be.

This is exactly correct and the intended design. If you don't want to attune, that's fine and it's completely your character's decision, but it ultimately means they can't control the elements to the same degree as someone who has attuned to a specific element.

I also want to note that this element of 411 doesn't really fall into the same category as other random flare based effects. If you're not attuned, it simply means it may take you repeated casts (411, then 417) to get the desired result. On average, no more than 5 casts. That's drastically different relying on a random effect during combat. More so and as noted above, you can easily remove this aspect if you so choose.

GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:38 AM CST
I'm not going to agree with this, PC1234, but I think I know what you're saying.

The position described in 'getting lucky' in a list of ways as presented sounds like nothing else happens. In fact, each of these extensions from Lady Luck have a base effect that need to be considered.

Anyone can get lucky, once in a great while. And that luck can be reflected as an add to the base effect. But if it becomes a frequent enough occurrence, then it isn't luck at all - it's base effect.

Now, do I wish luck would visit my characters with greater frequency? You can damn well betcha! It's a great feeling to know I've beaten the odds (as it were). But where is that magical line where luck simply becomes base effect? It's a constantly moving target.

Having more ways for Lady Luck to grace our door is a good thing. For me, the problem is dialing it in to happen with sufficient frequency to be detectable, without being frequent enough to have to be considered base effect.

Doug
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:46 AM CST
>Having more ways for Lady Luck to grace our door is a good thing. For me, the problem is dialing it in to happen with sufficient frequency to be detectable, without being frequent enough to have to be considered base effect.

This isn't really the place to continue this discussion as I don't really care about the random element nature of 411 since that is how it has always been. It is problematic however, that every single combat and disabler wizards have relies largely on luck for low chances of success. There's currently no way for a wizard to train or acquire enhancives to raise success chances to 99% barring a fumble, the way spiritualists can, for both crowd control and instant kills. As has been stated, ambushing rogues and any profession that can aim can raise their chances for an instant, critical kill to a much more significant success rate than wizards can with attrition-based bolts.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:53 AM CST
This is exactly correct and the intended design. If you don't want to attune, that's fine and it's completely your character's decision, but it ultimately means they can't control the elements to the same degree as someone who has attuned to a specific element.
I also want to note that this element of 411 doesn't really fall into the same category as other random flare based effects. If you're not attuned, it simply means it may take you repeated casts (411, then 417) to get the desired result. On average, no more than 5 casts. That's drastically different relying on a random effect during combat. More so and as noted above, you can easily remove this aspect if you so choose.
GameMaster Estild

I don't like that intended design.

Attunement should be an option that provides benefits above and beyond what everyone can accomplish. It shouldn't be required to avoid annoyance, as is the case with 411.

I would prefer it if you received stronger or more frequent flares to your attuned element. While having the required lore ranks allows you to always be able to eblade your weapon without having to cast it over and over until you get lucky.

Why is that not a suitable design?

How can I prepare and cast the elemental bolt spell I want to cast, but I'm not able to prepare and cast the elemental eblade I want? It makes absolutely no sense at all. Why don't we prepare and cast bolts randomly?

If you're not attuned, it simply means it may take you repeated casts (411, then 417) to get the desired result. On average, no more than 5 casts. That's drastically different relying on a random effect during combat. More so and as noted above, you can easily remove this aspect if you so choose.

This is highly frustrating. You could have chosen to make it user friendly without attunement. Being able to always cast your attuned element is not a benefit, unless you consider not being annoyed and wasting time a benefit.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 12:38 PM CST
>I don't like that intended design.

>Attunement should be an option that provides benefits above and beyond what everyone can accomplish. It shouldn't be required to avoid annoyance, as is the case with 411.

>I would prefer it if you received stronger or more frequent flares to your attuned element. While having the required lore ranks allows you to always be able to eblade your weapon without having to cast it over and over until you get lucky.

I appreciate your comments, and understand you do not like the design of the random element factor. However, considering that the spell has always operated this way (and doesn't mean it always has to, but...) I really do not see a good reason to change it. If you are randomly attuned, then the spell will act randomly.

The trouble with your suggestion to limit it to only the maximum lore, or a lore sufficient to make the cast effectively makes the attune benefit rather useless. One can very easily game the system to always get the flare you want with minimum lore investment and no attuned element. We do not want that by design.

One thing I think you may not be aware of, but there is also an added increased crit-weighting benefit to the flares from an attuned cast that you do not get with a random cast.

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 12:40 PM CST
>>Spiritualists don't have to attune to anything to get their spells to even work.

CONVERT is a similar mechanic for spiritual spells, primarily for Paladins and Clerics. While Empaths are not necessarily required to CONVERT, they usually need to pick a specific LORE path with probably the most lore impacts of any other profession. I wouldn't say the utility and ability to ATTUNE is anything dramatically different than others.

>>This is highly frustrating. You could have chosen to make it user friendly without attunement. Being able to always cast your attuned element is not a benefit, unless you consider not being annoyed and wasting time a benefit.

I can understand having an RP reason to not attune, but it was just confirmed that there is going to be a way to change your ATTUNE selection very shortly. This will provide you with the same flexibility that Clerics have with CONVERT.

>>The method to reset your elemental attunement will be available in the very near future.

>>GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 01:09 PM CST
I'm encountering a bug when eblading store bought 0x arrows with an imbed. I can eblade a bundle of 20 just fine. I can pick 1 arrow out of the bundle, drop it, and eblade that one arrow just fine too. But if I grab 10 arrows out of a bundle of 20, drop them, and attempt to eblade the 10 arrows, it fails.

>get 10 arr
You reach for a bundle of wooden arrows and remove 10 of them.
>put arr
You drop a bundle of wooden arrows.
>wav rod at arr
You wave your cracked rod at a bundle of wooden arrows.
1d100: 60 + Modifiers: 211 == 271

A bolt of energy leaps from your hand to the arrows but is deflected. The energy dissipates into the air.
The cracked rod suddenly disintegrates!

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 01:21 PM CST

>The trouble with your suggestion to limit it to only the maximum lore, or a lore sufficient to make the cast effectively makes the attune benefit rather useless. One can very easily game the system to always get the flare you want with minimum lore investment and no attuned element. We do not want that by design.

I have to disagree with you here. If you spend TPs in order to get air flares on a weapon, I don't think it's "gaming the system" to want to actually apply that to a weapon reliably. Having your spell not be annoyingly randomized is not really a good argument for attunement in my mind.

>One thing I think you may not be aware of, but there is also an added increased crit-weighting benefit to the flares from an attuned cast that you do not get with a random cast.

Well there you go! I was unaware of this, but it's a much better implementation for attunement. This gives wizards a reason to use their attuned element that doesn't depend on creating annoying RNG situations for the player.

@PC1234 wrt crappily randomized lore benefits with minuscule proc chances. I *Very Strongly* agree with your argument, but I don't think it really applies to this spell. Having 2% chances to get small benefits in exchange for very real TP costs is terrible design but that's not really what's happening here.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 01:40 PM CST
Since we have changes to attunement during this review would it not be appropriate to give everyone a one time chance at changing their attunement in addition the upcoming ability to change attunement?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 01:54 PM CST
CAMPBELLS
Since we have changes to attunement during this review would it not be appropriate to give everyone a one time chance at changing their attunement in addition the upcoming ability to change attunement?

When the new attunement reset method is implemented, everyone will be able to use it once without much effort. After that, it will require a significant amount of work to change it (similiar to CONVERT and Intercession (325, T5) (except the attunement reset won't rely on silver)).

GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 03:47 PM CST
>> >The trouble with your suggestion to limit it to only the maximum lore, or a lore sufficient to make the cast effectively makes the attune benefit rather useless. One can very easily game the system to always get the flare you want with minimum lore investment and no attuned element. We do not want that by design.

>> I have to disagree with you here. If you spend TPs in order to get air flares on a weapon, I don't think it's "gaming the system" to want to actually apply that to a weapon reliably. Having your spell not be annoyingly randomized is not really a good argument for attunement in my mind.

This is version four of my response to this and I don't even care about this spell very much.

>> >The trouble with your suggestion to limit it to only the maximum lore, or a lore sufficient to make the cast effectively makes the attune benefit rather useless.

How does limiting the random selection to elements for this spell to elements that will result in a successful cast detract from the attune benefit (better flares / increased crit-weighting)?

>> One can very easily game the system to always get the flare you want with minimum lore investment and no attuned element. We do not want that by design.

Is that really even a serious concern in the design of this spell? Those evil wizards might game the system with their training and get the 411 cast they trained for with one cast of this spell!?!?! Because I can't see myself adjusting my lore training so I can game the 411 spell and if someone really wants to go there what would it really break?

How about some design consideration for making a fairly minor spell a little more functionally useful while you are changing the code for it anyway? Wizards are masters of the elements but they cannot even influence a minor elemental spell via their training to have it produce a viable result on their first cast? For 11 mana is it really too much to ask that we could actually select the desired element or is that so way over the top it pushes it into a 19 mana spell slot or higher?

Elemental attunement should provide a way to enhance your elemental spells along the lines of your chosen element. The current design focus seems to be creating spells that cannot even be used safely (e.g. 502) or that work poorly (e.g. 411) without attunement. Give me a better flare for being attuned - that is a great attunement benefit, but how does having me cast this an average of five times to get the desired effect enhance the game in any way? You want me to burn more mana and time? Great, double or triple the mana cost for choosing my element and throw me into some hard RT as an added bonus. That would be a much better design than just casting over and over until a successful/desired result is achieved.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 05:24 PM CST
I'm not sure but...

When I prepared arrows for an archer, I attuned random for a desired result of fire and ice. I would cast/dispel numerous times because I was eblading small groups at a time and bundling them into blue, red, or dispel and re-cast.

I don't want to have attune random prevent me from having access to every element but is it that much to ask, while under attune random and not taking advantage of the benefit of attuned crit weighted e-blade, for us to be able to designate 1 of 5 options when using 411? I can see how this may end up having a side effect with 415 or 435 but is 'prep 411' 'cast arrow fire' impossible?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 05:39 PM CST

Would there be a multicast option for this? I'm ok with the reasoning behind the choosing an attunement or dealing with the randomness but could the penalty be in the mana consumed rather than the visual fumbling around?

Prep 411, cast <weapon> fire

You attempted 3 casts without the desired result. (-33 mana)

Prep 411, cast <weapon> fire

You successfully imbue the weapon with fire on your second cast. (-22 mana)

etc.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 08:33 PM CST

As someone has already mentioned, there is now a bug in Elemental Blade where if the arrow removed from the bundle uses the last charge, the arrow bundle can no longer be re-bladed, or dispelled and re-bladed. My current fix is to, if I don't catch it in time, throw all of my arrows away and buy new ones (unpreferred), or catch it in time and dispel/re-blade my arrows (works). Ideally, I would like to be able to simply re-blade them when the charges wear off (ideal).

Thanks!
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 09:36 PM CST
>As someone has already mentioned, there is now a bug in Elemental Blade where if the arrow removed from the bundle uses the last charge, the arrow bundle can no longer be re-bladed, or dispelled and re-bladed. My current fix is to, if I don't catch it in time, throw all of my arrows away and buy new ones (unpreferred), or catch it in time and dispel/re-blade my arrows (works). Ideally, I would like to be able to simply re-blade them when the charges wear off (ideal).

This should now be fixed. Let me know if you continue to experience this.

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 09:56 PM CST

Thanks for the quick fix!
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 11:08 PM CST
I'm not sure why people are enthusiastic about this revision. The lore requirements to get a weapon to the [temporary] equivalent of 7x is excessive. My capped wizard is 1x in lores and can't come close, especially since her lores are split between earth and air.

Or am I reading it wrong? It sounds like it's lore ranks in your attuned element that are taken into account when determining what metal you can e blade, not total ranks?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 01:44 AM CST
>I don't like that intended design.
>Attunement should be an option that provides benefits above and beyond what everyone can accomplish. It shouldn't be required to avoid annoyance, as is the case with 411.
>I would prefer it if you received stronger or more frequent flares to your attuned element. While having the required lore ranks allows you to always be able to eblade your weapon without having to cast it over and over until you get lucky.
I appreciate your comments, and understand you do not like the design of the random element factor. However, considering that the spell has always operated this way (and doesn't mean it always has to, but...) I really do not see a good reason to change it. If you are randomly attuned, then the spell will act randomly.
The trouble with your suggestion to limit it to only the maximum lore, or a lore sufficient to make the cast effectively makes the attune benefit rather useless. One can very easily game the system to always get the flare you want with minimum lore investment and no attuned element. We do not want that by design.
One thing I think you may not be aware of, but there is also an added increased crit-weighting benefit to the flares from an attuned cast that you do not get with a random cast.
~Contemplar~

I understand the spell has always operated as a random flare. However, as you pointed out immediately after, it doesn't mean it has to stay that way. I would like to propose the following:

Without Lore: +20 and random flare
With Lore: +20 and trained lore
With Lore + Attune: +20, trained lore, and weighted flare

I had forgotten about the weighted flare attunement bonus when I posted previously. There is a bonus for attunement above and beyond what everyone else is capable of. This setup removes the frustration of having to cast the spell repeatedly until you get lucky, while still maintaining the bonus provided by attuning.

Are you saying that a weighted flare provided by attunement is worthless?
Perhaps you should provide an attunement bonus worthy of attuning, if that is the case.

Also, I disagree with your statement that the proposed setup above would be gaming the system. Lore training would be required to achieve the flare you want, just as it is now. The only difference is that lore training would provide a greater benefit, and to achieve a further benefit, the worthless weighted flare that you mentioned, would require attunement. There would be stages of advancement rather than an all or nothing approach.

Surely, advancing the benefits in stages is a far better design than the all or nothing design. Is that not something you want? Almost all of the other benefits provided through lore seem to advance in stages, the only exceptions are those that unlock at certain lore thresholds.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 04:59 AM CST
I don't really have a strong opinion on whether Eblade should be able to be specified for the element without attuning or not. I would note that, at present, you can get random or one element, but being able to specify would be all five of them. Not saying it's game breaking but one is not equal to the other. Also, I don't suggest entering the Confluence without being attuned.

>Give me a better flare for being attuned - that is a great attunement benefit, but how does having me cast this an average of five times to get the desired effect enhance the game in any way? You want me to burn more mana and time? Great, double or triple the mana cost for choosing my element and throw me into some hard RT as an added bonus. That would be a much better design than just casting over and over until a successful/desired result is achieved.

A script to achieve this result would be quite trivial, incidentally.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 07:20 AM CST
>I'm not sure why people are enthusiastic about this revision. The lore requirements to get a weapon to the [temporary] equivalent of 7x is excessive.

Would you really want it to be easy for an 11th level minor circle spell to create a 7x flaring weapon?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 07:34 AM CST
>Are you saying that a weighted flare provided by attunement is worthless?

No, I wasn't saying that at all.

What I meant was that the choice to attune, or not to attune become much less of choice for the player. The only benefit (in terms of THIS spell only!) then would be to adding crit-weighted flares to the weapon. Otherwise, attune would have minimal effect on controlling which element can be cast.

So as it stands, ATTUNE does two things for you here, it adds crit-weighting to the flares and allows you to ALWAYS cast a specific elemental flare type.

<Contemplar off his GM hat>

Lastly, I want to express my opinion only here. I understand why you want to be able to choose which element to cast at a weapon, and it is a valid point. If such a thing were to be allowed we would need to think about logical ways to allow for such. I am less inclined to use the relevant lore to determine that, but perhaps something outside the Lore box like Harness Power, Elemental Mana Control or even Magic Item Use to determine if you can choose a specific element.

I am just tossing a few ideas out there for you to consider. I cannot promise you anything will be done, but I will read and consider what is discussed and bring it up to the Dev team. Just don't hold your breath for any quick adjustment here though! ;-P

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 08:45 AM CST
<Contemplar off his GM hat>
Lastly, I want to express my opinion only here. I understand why you want to be able to choose which element to cast at a weapon, and it is a valid point. If such a thing were to be allowed we would need to think about logical ways to allow for such. I am less inclined to use the relevant lore to determine that, but perhaps something outside the Lore box like Harness Power, Elemental Mana Control or even Magic Item Use to determine if you can choose a specific element.
I am just tossing a few ideas out there for you to consider. I cannot promise you anything will be done, but I will read and consider what is discussed and bring it up to the Dev team. Just don't hold your breath for any quick adjustment here though! ;-P
~Contemplar~

It feels like the goal is to make things as difficult as possible. Rather than take a straight forward and simple approach to spells that makes logical sense.

We can prepare and cast any element we want when casting bolt spells. But the moment we want to prepare and cast the element we want for a simple eblade, an 11th level spell in a minor spell circle, it has to use all these strange requirements that no other spell requires. (Talking about your HP, EMC, MIU suggestion here.)

No lore = random flare
Lore = Lore skill flare
Attune = Lore skill flare + weighting

Please explain how that is unreasonable.

What I meant was that the choice to attune, or not to attune become much less of choice for the player.

Why is the goal to force us into making an attunement choice? Provide benefits for attuning, while still providing benefits for training lore and see what people decide. If not enough people are attuning, maybe increase the benefits and see what happens. You don't have to make spells incredibly frustrating to use in order to force the choice. If the benefits are good enough, people will make that choice on their own.

I'm honestly less than thrilled about a weighted flare, I would rather increase the intensity or frequency of the flare. I'm also less concerned about the ability to choose a specific element, I will avoid rooms with water in them. My frustration comes from having to cast the spell repeatedly until I land on the flare that matches my lore training. Based on my ability to control the elements when it comes to bolt spells, this should be well within my power to control the element chosen when casting the spell.

K.I.S.S. and keep it fun. If you have the ability to make something less frustrating, do it. This isn't exactly game breaking stuff here. The entire balance of power is not going to be thrown off if we no longer zap ourselves in water rooms because our lore training allows us to specify a flare, that we actually spent hundreds of TP's training.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 10:40 AM CST
I once wrote a script to e-blade my runestaff with a specified element. I repeats until it gets the right one. It was before ensorcelling and before the new changes to e-blade. It may need an additional match string if your runestaff is ensorcelled or has an enchanter mark, but otherwise I think it would still work. It is available here: http://pastebin.com/2YEhEiRg
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 11:15 AM CST
Game design trivia insight!

Did you know?

In Rolemaster (and here in the ICE version of Gemstone II and III prior to de-ICE-ing), every elemental character was expected to ATTUNE <Element>.

In fact, in Rolemaster, every character of any type (even spiritual) should have chosen the element to ATTUNE to, not just wizards.

That ATTUNEment is viewed as much a physical characteristic of the character as is eye color, sometimes maskable but never alterable.

And finally, prior to de-ICE-ing, there was absolutely zero sense of not being attuned in the lands. The option to ATTUNE <Element> was introduced sometime during the GSIV rollout, I believe - but beforehand, a character's attunement was randomly determined and assigned. It's one of those 'customer feedback' implementations that I'm sure has created more problems than it was worth.

I have been for years the most vocal advocate for remaining unATTUNEd in the lands. There simply wasn't reason. However, there is at no time any justification in my view to support making unATTUNEd characters more desirable. My feedback about remaining unATTUNEd always included the thought that one should check what benefits ATTUNing would bring, and decide - ultimately all wizards should be ATTUNEd. I'm very pleased to see things happening that will allow for us to make those choices.

The current 411 implementation, with the ability to cycle through random elements, is already generous beyond measure. I actually like being an 'arcist' in the sense of being able to 'manipulate' all the elements. But if the wizard wants control and predictability, the answer in my view is ATTUNE.

I do not support 'paths of predictability' outside of ATTUNE - for those who may not remember, I'll bring it back to mind; we tried it here a while.

Doug
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 11:32 AM CST
My view is that the Attuned mage should be superior to the unattuned mage in the element that the mage is attuned to. The trade off between the two is that the attuned mage would get superior flares of his attuned element being able to only get that element whereas the unattuned mage gets normal flares and can choose between all the elements.

Fighting trolls? The Fire Mage has the superior flares and spells, the unattuned mage at least has the option to get regular fire flares and still has all the fire spells, and all the other elementally attuned magi at least have fire spells in their arsenal.

Trade offs.

Chad, player of a few
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 12:31 PM CST
>I have been for years the most vocal advocate for remaining unATTUNEd in the lands. There simply wasn't reason. However, there is at no time any justification in my view to support making unATTUNEd characters more desirable. My feedback about remaining unATTUNEd always included the thought that one should check what benefits ATTUNing would bring, and decide - ultimately all wizards should be ATTUNEd. I'm very pleased to see things happening that will allow for us to make those choices.

For the post-cap wizard, there is also still a single choice for attunement that doesn't result in significant mechanical disadvantages. How is that really a "choice" instead of a decision forced upon you if you don't want to unnecessarily cripple your character?

Air attunement is not a reasonable option without a single target follow-on bolt with DF similar to 510 and 910.

Lightning attunement is not practical given the prevalence of water in several post-cap hunting grounds.

Fire and water are not practical because that eliminates a significant number of creature targets, since many are one or the other (see liches).

This leaves you with one rational choice, earth.

While it's true that spiritualists can CONVERT, it's not at all the same situation where their spells cannot be safely used at all without making such a choice. 502 and 415, in comparison, simply cannot be used AT ALL in areas with water due to the chance of the lightning flare outright killing you instead of the creature. The only way I could support attunement or random is if you could disable the lightning flare from the option list.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 12:47 PM CST

Are the attuned flares from 411 better than the elemental flares on flaring 4x weapons frequently sold by merchants?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 01:07 PM CST
Erm. . . no? I don't think I agree with anything you said, Destiny. I might have misunderstood a point or two, though.

I'm not sure if everything you said is in support of the concept of 'mechanical disadvantage' or not.

I'll take up this stand, though, very quickly - there are hunting grounds throughout the game's levels 1-100 where the wizard profession is at a disadvantage, sometimes significant. That disadvantage is always expressed in some 'mechanical' way, because that's what we have to work with.

One of your points is that a wizard cannot choose to be Lightning attuned because of Nelemar? That wizard suffers the mechanical disadvantage of shocking herself? Is that what you are contending qualifies as a mechanical disadvantage?

As you can imagine, if that is generally aligned in concept, I'm marshaling thoughts about unattuned and the Confluence, hunting the 3rd floor, attuning random and perhaps most tellingly. . .

Choice gives a modest benefit - it doesn't diminish the lightning attuned wizard that I might choose earth - sometimes I'll get a small benefit, sometimes she will. That's not what I define as a 'mechanical disadvantage'. Especially since she can still cast fire, just as effectively as I can in Nelemar.

Doug
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 01:15 PM CST
>Choice gives a modest benefit - it doesn't diminish the lightning attuned wizard that I might choose earth - sometimes I'll get a small benefit, sometimes she will. That's not what I define as a 'mechanical disadvantage'. Especially since she can still cast fire, just as effectively as I can in Nelemar.

No, the disadvantage comes from 502 and 425 bonuses requiring a follow-on bolt of the same attunement. Because of these two spells, you forfeit the bonus altogether if you choose something that isn't earth, unless you choose to forgo many post-cap hunting areas entirely.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 01:47 PM CST
>>Because of these two spells, you forfeit the bonus altogether if you choose something that isn't earth, unless you choose to forgo many post-cap hunting areas entirely.

Yes, I see the point - I think my problem is that 'forfeiting the bonus' is a slippery slope. It means the bonus becomes the base effect - and is no longer a bonus. Right now, it simply is a bonus, it doesn't always apply. I fully concede your point when the bonus becomes the base effect. But my view is that shouldn't be what we strive for.

Doug
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 02:11 PM CST
>Yes, I see the point - I think my problem is that 'forfeiting the bonus' is a slippery slope. It means the bonus becomes the base effect - and is no longer a bonus. Right now, it simply is a bonus, it doesn't always apply. I fully concede your point when the bonus becomes the base effect. But my view is that shouldn't be what we strive for.

That's certainly a choice you can make, but there remains only one choice that does not close off potential areas of benefit or eliminate certain post-cap hunting areas for the wizard. Forfeiting the bonus only applies to the air attunement. The others still eliminate many post-cap hunting grounds if you have to have that or a random that includes lightning.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 04:38 PM CST
Actually Doug, Gemstone II had nothing to do with ICE or Rolemaster. It was much simpler both mechanically and lorewise than either GS3 or GS4, and took place in a world called--yes, Elanthia. For a time even, GS2 and GS3 were both running concurrently on GEnie. For that matter, I believe that the world of Simutronics' wizardly combat game on GEnie, Orb Wars, was also called Elanthia.

--Hal
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 04:52 PM CST
Ahh, point! Thanks.

Doug
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 06:11 PM CST
Not sure if this is an oversight or not:

502 combined with 411 should produce a reduction to the target's DS as stated in the Wiki (and previously in this thread).

How does this work for UAC? Does it reduce UDF by a percentage or something? After testing with 13 ranks of Air Lore, attuned to Air, with Air e-bladed gauntlets my target's UDF and MM look to be identical when compared to 4x hand-wraps.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/21/2016 06:52 PM CST
>> <Contemplar off his GM hat>
>> Lastly, I want to express my opinion only here. I understand why you want to be able to choose which element to cast at a weapon, and it is a valid point. If such a thing were to be allowed we would need to think about logical ways to allow for such. I am less inclined to use the relevant lore to determine that, but perhaps something outside the Lore box like Harness Power, Elemental Mana Control or even Magic Item Use to determine if you can choose a specific element.
>> ~Contemplar~

> It feels like the goal is to make things as difficult as possible. Rather than take a straight forward and simple approach to spells that makes logical sense. ~PC1234

Thanks Conemplar. PC1234's statement was exactly my frustration when posting on this spell the other day. I greatly appreciate the 'hats off' commentary.

As a couple of folks have already pointed out, it's a fairly trivial effort to create a script to get the desired result. Buy why does a wizard need to stand there like Bullwinkle trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat to accomplish what should be a rather trivial result?

In response to your request, I think EMC or Harness Power would make logical sense. Maybe tie the bonus for one or the other to the chance of achieving the desired / requested results vs. getting a random result. i.e. chance of getting what you asked for = HP bonus / 2 such that at 200 bonus you would always get the desired result (or cap it at 95% if someone up top feels that 100% would just be waaaaay too wacky for those tricky masters of the elements).

EMC is pretty much staple spells for wizards but this might provide some additional incentive for non-wizards to train in this skill a bit further.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."