Prev_page Previous 1
Avalon 4.3.3 05/16/2016 02:20 PM CDT
Hi everybody,

There's a new version of Avalon available now, 4.3.3:

https://www.play.net/gs4/play/avalon-info.asp

This is most likely not the final version of 4.3.3, but I've been using it for a little and I'm pretty certain that things are working as intended, so I'd like to get some more feedback and let you all test it out.

The changes from 4.3.2 are:

* You can stop a script by using 'k' (no apostrophes, just the letter) as a script name, so if your script starting character is a period, you'd do this:

>.k
* Script finished.

to terminate the currently running script.

* You can start a script from a subfolder, like this:

>.subfolder/hi
* Script "subfolder/hi" started...
I ran from a subfolder! How exciting!
* Script finished.

* The snap-to-bottom scroll behavior should be more forgiving and only snap if the scroll handle is within 5 pixels of the bottom. This should make it a lot easier to scroll back to look at stuff when things are going on. Entering a command will still force it to the bottom if that setting is enabled, just as before.

* The spell lists are updated

* 'Gemstone' is now 'GemStone'

* The round time bars should hopefully stop getting stuck (I'm pretty sure on that one, but it was really hard to duplicate on command so it's hard to verify for certain)

* The command macros should work more reliably now if those were giving you grief before

Please enjoy, and feel free to share any thoughts in this thread!

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 05/20/2016 09:03 AM CDT
I really like that Avalon is being worked on, since I'm coming from the "Install VirtualBox and run StormFront" crowd. The last time I tried Avalon was a few years ago: I did the whole package deal with yasse plugin and lich, but I still went back to StormFront for ease of use.

So, feedback! In no particular order:

I like that the spell circle menus are mostly up to date as far as I can tell. :) :) :)

In the spell list, here's a check mark next to 517 that won't go away and I'm not quite sure why it's there.

There's logging but it's just on/off, so I have no idea where it's logging TO. I also don't have the option of logging specific windows as far as I can tell.

When you say 'start a script from a subfolder' does that mean with the yasse plugin?

Still no stamina tracker.

I can't resize any of the graphics windows other than "hands".

The "hands" window is all one piece and I can't break up each hand/spell to place them where I'd like.

There are new windows for speech and mentors that I'd like to see. Additionally, the active spells window would be nice.

No way to minimize windows to the dock. (I frequently minimize windows to temporarily remove distractions)

I ADORE the aliases (replace and send in the highlights menu), but the first column that shows the text to be replaced is empty!

I have a LONG list of people in my highlights. Typing each one out in the arrival/departure window gives me the heebie-jeebies: maybe an option to add them all?

When I shift focus to a non-game window, everything but the story window disappears. I'd love to have the option to have those those remain in place.

No hyperlinks in the story window. (this is what turned me from Wizard to StormFront years ago)

---

THANK you for working on Avalon.
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 05/20/2016 09:19 AM CDT
Thanks for the feedback! Some answers:

I'll see what's up with that 517 menu item.

Logs only log the main (story) window, and they are stored in ~/Documents/Simutronics/Logs

For the scripts starting from a subfolder - that's only with the built in script engine.

There's no stamina tracker because Avalon uses the Wizard stream, and not the StormFront/XML stream.

I'd have to completely redo the UI to make the panels resizable, or the hands window separate-able, I don't anticipate that happening soon...

I'll see if I can make the main window minimizable.

I'll check into the send/replace columns.

Maybe? I'll look into it.

There's a checkbox on the General Preferences -> Interface tab that makes the small windows/panels hide when Avalon is not the main window - is that checked for you? When it's unchecked, most of those windows will stay visible.

Links in the story window requires switching over to the XML stream too.

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 05/20/2016 01:01 PM CDT
So quick on the response! Understandable that some of my feedback wouldn't take place without some serious coding.

1st: yes, my checkbox was checked. Mindreader! Spooky magic!

2nd: I think I missed the response about the speech / mentor / active spells window(s).

3rd: can we log the thoughts window as well?

4th: are you using yasse, or yasse lite? I'm not seeing any built in script engine, just the plugins (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Avalon) so I'm a tad confused.

5th: If switching to the XML stream is not possible, what about adding some sort of 'link bold' a la 'monster bold' to the wizard stream? How much begging and in what form would it need to take? When should that begging start? ;)

Bonus: Does anyone have that avalon oxide plugin?
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 05/21/2016 09:28 AM CDT
For the logging (of everything) - I think that I phrased that poorly. It should be logging everything that comes in as if you didn't have any of those optional windows that divert stuff open. So the thoughts that get diverted to the thoughts window should show up in the log where they would have appeared if that had been closed. I'll double check that though.

The built in script engine is separate from the yasse plugins - it should be able to execute any scripts that are in the old format that the Wizard used, or that StormFront uses. The Preferences -> General Preferences -> System tab has a box to input the script starting character (which is a . by default I believe). Scripts get run from ~/Documents/Simutronics/Scripts. I should update the wiki with some info on that.

The issue with the links is that they just don't exist in the Wizard stream - otherwise yeah, I'd also love to have those things at least highlighted. I have fiddled around with a bit but the Cocoa string manipulation/pattern matching stuff isn't so hot - I think that in order for that to work well I'll need to redo some of the very fundamental things about Avalon.

I do not have a copy of that plugin myself unfortunately.

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 05/22/2016 02:06 PM CDT
Thanks for updating Avalon. I've noticed that under highlight the check box for "Entire line" is missing. It just shows either "0" or "1" under the column
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/04/2016 10:28 PM CDT
Ixix, thank you very much for this update. The kill command (.k) and calling from subfolders both seem to be working fine. I'm very , very happy about that. I will play around with this more in the next few days to see if I find anything else.

Right now my only problem is exactly that--my problem, I suppose. I doubt anyone else can do anything with it. It's just that this script engine move so much faster than YASSE that I run into typeahead problems really quickly, and that is with three typeahead lines. But I guess that just means I will need to go in and add pauses every few lines. I can deal with it--this is still a big improvement.

Thanks again,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/05/2016 03:50 PM CDT
>Right now my only problem is exactly that--my problem, I suppose. I doubt anyone else can do anything with it. It's just that this script engine moves so much faster than YASSE that I run into typeahead problems really quickly, and that is with three typeahead lines.

Ok, I am quoting my own post here--just out of curiosity, does anyone who knows more about computers than I do (that's most everyone) know why I would have this problem? If the Avalon script engine works fine for everyone else, why do I run into type ahead problems after about 8-10 commands, and is there any adjustment I can make? It's not that I have some amazing processing speed--standard cable internet (I think 60 mpbs), regular iMac running OS X 10.11.3. I don't understand why this would be such an issue for me and not for others.

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/06/2016 02:00 PM CDT
I'm not sure why it would be any faster or slower than any other script engine, but it could be that YASSE is automatically doing some sort of 'wait for output from the game' after each command is entered or something like that.

If you know what the expected outcome is, you can use the waitfor command in your scripts between commands (or blocks of 2-3 commands) to keep the speed throttled better.

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/06/2016 02:16 PM CDT
Thanks. Actually, I do not think waitfor will help because travel scripts are the problem. Shorter scripts seem fine. But thanks for the response in any case.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/06/2016 02:20 PM CDT
I think (at least in Wiz / SFE) the 'move' command might help.

If I recall right, 'move' is set up to wait for the room's information to appear before returning to the next script command.

Doug
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/06/2016 11:32 PM CDT
Hmm. OK, thanks, Doug. I will give that a try.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/06/2016 11:35 PM CDT
Nope. I checked the scripts. They are set to use "move" already. Ah well. Still seems weird to me that this is a problem for me and not for others, but I have no idea why that is.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/07/2016 07:33 AM CDT
>Nope. I checked the scripts. They are set to use "move" already. Ah well. Still seems weird to me that this is a problem for me and not for others, but I have no idea why that is.

A couple of suggestions here relating to scripts and type ahead lines. I had many of the same issues when I play too, and the suggestions by Ixix, and Doug are the best ways to avoid it.

I do have a couple of concerns relating to your comments on MOVE, as Doug is correct that it should wait until the next room description appears before MOVE again. So you shouldn't be running into issues there. However, if moving through an area that may cause RT, I can see that causing a hitch in the script.

Secondly, the use of WAITFOR in the script will certainly help to ensure that you are ready for the next line to execute before doing it. Usually, I build my scripts (in Stormfront) to handle this whenever I have more than 4 command lines without any added pauses and not using MOVE. I used WAITFOR religiously in my alchemy formula scripts for this exact reason. Last thing I needed there was a script hitch! ;-P

An example of a simple script I use to run from the Wayside Inn tables to the bank and back. Instead of the script running there and back without pauses, I built in a stop at the bank teller that waits for the right input from me before moving along. This allows me to check my balance and whatnot, without interrupting the script in progress and when I type "wayside" (it doesn't even have to be a valid command by the way) it continues on and returns me back to the Wayside tables.

But notice the uses of WAITFOR in there.

put stand
move out
move out
put go gate
waitfor Obvious
move s
move w
move s
move s
move s
put go bank
waitfor Obvious
put go arch
put depo all
waitfor wayside
put go arch
waitfor Obvious
move out
move n
move n
move n
move e
move n
put go gate
waitfor Obvious
put go inn
waitfor Obvious
put go %1 table
put go %1 table
exit

So while I do not have a need for pauses when using MOVE (and the script never hitches up there unless I suffer some kind of RT), I put in WAITFOR for just about any other command input that is not MOVE.

Hopefully this is useful.

~Contemplar~
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/07/2016 05:18 PM CDT
Hmm. Very interesting. Let me play around with this a little and see what happens. Thanks in any case.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/07/2016 05:33 PM CDT
Nope. Still will not work. I tried running my script from the Landing to Icemule three different ways:

I added the "waitfor obvious" after everything that was not a move commend. It still hung up on "you can only type ahead three lines" about ten commands in, before every getting to anything other than a move command.

Then I tried adding "waitfor obvious" after every nine or ten lines. Same thing happened.

Finally I added "waitfor obvious" after every five commands. Again, same thing.

Here is the beginning of the script (I won't bother posting all of it since it never gets beyond ten lines or so). This is the most recent version as mentioned above.

If it matters, I most likely created the original script with YASSE's auto-record feature, but I do not see why that would matter.

#ICEMULE - from Landing (start outside gate)
move sw
move s
move s
move s
move s
waitfor obvious
move s
move sw
move s
move se
move s
waitfor obvious
move se
move s
move s
move s
move sw
waitfor obvious
move s
move s
move se
move se
move se
waitfor obvious
move se
move se
move e
move e
move ne
waitfor obvious
move e
move e
move e
move go trail
waitfor obvious
move n
move ne
move e
move se
move e
waitfor obvious

I can't find a problem, but it continues to hang up before I can get anywhere.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/07/2016 05:38 PM CDT
One more thing I just noticed--the "echo" command to make text appear from a script does not seem to be working, nor are commands entered from a script showing up behind the command prompt (>) as individually entered commands do.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/07/2016 05:43 PM CDT
Hmm It's going to be a bit before I could do this test, but I wonder. . .

Is this happening in 4.3.2 as well?

Doug
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/07/2016 09:45 PM CDT
Yes. It has happened from all the way back when Naos added the first script engine to Avalon. I remember noting the problem then and his reply being, "Well, I'm not slowing it down," which seemed to somehow indicate that he could, though I have no clue as to how.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/07/2016 09:46 PM CDT
>Yes. It has happened from all the way back when Naos added the first script engine to Avalon. I remember noting the problem then and his reply being, "Well, I'm not slowing it down," which seemed to somehow indicate that he could, though I have no clue as to how.

I was referring to the typeahead issue here, by the way. As to the echo issue, I am not sure. I just realized that one.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/13/2016 08:07 AM CDT
I'll try to get some stuff set up to replicate this scripts too fast issue and see if I can figure out a solution. Does anybody else have any other bugs/issues/concerns that they've spotted?

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 06/15/2016 07:09 PM CDT
>>I'll try to get some stuff set up to replicate this scripts too fast issue and see if I can figure out a solution.

Thanks, Ixix. I appreciate anything you might be able to figure out.

--David

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 07/27/2016 04:34 PM CDT
Hello, I'm making the switch from Windows to Mac, and I'm looking for a couple things in this Avalon world...

1. I (naively) expected my SF Highlights, Macros, scripts to be available in the new front end. It sounded like the perfect reason to keep them stored server side and all.

* Is there a way to import the xml export of settings into Avalon?
* Is there a way to convert the xml export of settings into Avalon?

2. A couple years ago, I would not believe I am about to type this... is there a way to turn on the links? There are THINGS that I can only manage to do with them! :|

3. I miss my heads up displays for mana/health at the bottom, my spell active bars, And the speech window. I miss Lnet chats not being in the thought window, too, but I have no idea if that is a Lich issue or an Avalon one.

4. Is there a help file somewhere for Avalon? I asked Dalnirath where the scripts are stored, but if he hadn't been here today, I'd still be trying to find the right location to start moving performances into it.

5. I can't find a scripts listing on a menu. What have I missed?

From what I see so far, this new Avalon looks great, and I have chased off the first pieces of advice when people told me I should run Windows on the new Mac.

Thank you!
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 07/27/2016 09:42 PM CDT
My next question: I am staring at the folder:
Documents/Simutronics/Scripts/GS/

I put a simple script in there, but I don't know what to name it to make it found.
No filename extension does not work
Tried:
.cmd
.wiz
.scr
.txt

no go for any of them.

I've tried a number of other ones, too ... but no joy! Every time I get:
* Error:Script "stop" not found.

I didn't see any example scripts, nor a way to enter one from Avalon itself, so I'm done guessing and looking for the right filename extension, please :)

Re: Avalon 4.3.3 07/28/2016 08:43 AM CDT
Hiya,

For highlights, there's no way to import them unfortunately.

The links, speech window, and active spell bars all require using the XML stream - but Avalon uses the Wizard stream, so those things aren't available. Health and mana should be available if you go to the Graphics menu and select Health/Mana/Spirit.

I don't have a help file for Avalon. I think that the wiki would be the place to add that, I will try to add some more info this page but anybody and everybody is welcome to collaborate on that: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Avalon

For the scripts menu - the only thing that rings a bell is the old Wizard and its menu - if that's what you mean, it's not in Avalon.

You'll want to use .cmd as the extension for your scripts, and you can just put them into the

~/Documents/Simutronics/Scripts

If, for example, your script is named stop.cmd, and it's located at
~/Documents/Simutronics/Scripts/stop.cmd, you would run it with:

.stop

You can put the scripts into the GS folder, but you'll have to add that to the command, and run it like:

.GS/stop

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 07/28/2016 10:05 AM CDT
Oh GM Ixix! Thank you so much! I figured the script went into the GS folder because ... it was there! So Avalon is more wizard-like than SF like. I will adjust my thinking, then. And work on new highlights! I sort of live and die by my highlights...

Is there a way to make the itty bitty graphic for the health and mana larger? I tried dragging a corner out, but... no joy.

Thank you!
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 07/28/2016 10:19 AM CDT
Having looked at the files involved, it shouldn't be overly complicated to parse out the SF.xml and place the information in the right categories in Avalon.

I'll take a stab at this later - it will be easy to establish the highlights list and enter them into the right areas - but the colors will likely have to be chosen by the user in the first version. Scripts are trivial, if they're present in the XML.

Doug
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 07/28/2016 10:52 AM CDT
Is there an option to save the logs as plain text?
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/01/2016 04:35 PM CDT
New Avalon questions (are you tired of me yet?)

1. The Room Description window ... seems to echo everything from the story window.

2. How do I highlight an entire line?

3. In the Highlights section of the preferences, what does the Names tab do, exactly? Because it didn't seem to highlight someone.

4. I'm having trouble getting many StormFront scripts to work. The %0, $1, etc don't seem to be passed on to Avalon.

~L.
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/01/2016 09:34 PM CDT
#1 is a Lich bug, I believe, not an Avalon bug.
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/02/2016 07:24 AM CDT
I'm not quite sure what you mean for number 1.

For 2, it looks like the 'highlight whole line' and 'transparent' checkboxes are no longer checkboxes - I'll see what I can do there.

The Names tab is where you can list names to filter the logons/logoffs/deaths windows. I vaguely remember it from the old wizard, but I've never used it much over the years.

There seems to be a bug with the script arguments handling for number 4.

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/02/2016 01:48 PM CDT

Thanks GM Ixix! It looks like I need to tell Tillmen about that room description window problem.

I started converting mission critical scripts out of the SF format yesterday, the rest can wait for fixes, or whatever!

Good luck hunting down all the little buglets. I guess it's why this is beta, right? :)
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/02/2016 04:30 PM CDT
You're welcome! I appreciate you bringing this stuff up. There's not a lot of us Avalon users right now, so bugs can hide in plain sight for a while if nobody uses a particular feature.

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/02/2016 06:11 PM CDT
I'll be interested to see how you handle the URL linking. . .

;)

Doug
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/03/2016 03:30 PM CDT
Today's Avalon questions:

1. How do I get the different windows to remain visible when I move focus to another window? I leave Avalon to note something in my text editor, answer a question in Slack, enter a news headline in a browser .... whatever it is - the thoughts, familiar, and other assorted windows just vanish!

2. When some people log in, not everyone, their special log in messages appear in my story window. How do we get Kaldonis back into the logon window? :) (Just picking on you Kaldonis, because you were the most recent one...)

3. And lastly, for now, at least, I'm not going to need this for a few weeks because I don't think I'll be hunt-worthy for a while, yet... but when it comes time for a promotion, where is the button to train?!

Thank you ... now I need to hurry and convert some scripts before the weekend.

~L
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/03/2016 11:09 PM CDT
>>Today's Avalon questions:

With today's answers!

1) Only the story window can stay 'visible', the other windows will go away when Avalon is in the 'background' and that's through positioning. Might should be an Ixix ask. You can force the palettes (wounds, status, etc.) to stay foreground / visible, but not the fam, thought windows.

2) This is a SET FLAG option - SET LOGON ON and SET LOGOFF ON. You'll find more at: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/SET

3) In the command line, enter the command GOALS . No button!

Doug
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/04/2016 08:18 AM CDT
Doug is correct - as a minor addition, there is an option on the Preferences -> General Preferences -> Interface tab to have Avalon hide the palettes (things like wounds, health/mana/spirit, etc) when Avalon isn't the focused app, but the other windows will automatically hide just because that's what the OS wants to do with that kind of window.

Unrelated to those questions but related to the last round - does anybody have a script that I could use to test the variables and counters? It's been so long since I've used those that I don't have a script handy. I could make one, but I'm going to make it based on what the script engine is doing, so if I have that wrong...

Ixix
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/04/2016 10:33 AM CDT
Here! Have one of mine! :)

# For Mandolin or another instrument

loop:
put play %1 mourn
waitfor soft minor chord of final farewell
pause 5

put play %1 slow
waitfor before their final demise into silence
pause 8

goto loop
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/04/2016 10:33 AM CDT
Also, how do you STOP a script? Escape didn't work...
Re: Avalon 4.3.3 08/04/2016 12:59 PM CDT
Thanks!

Assuming that . is your start script character, you'll want to use:

To stop a currently running script.

Ixix
Prev_page Previous 1