Prev_page Previous 1 3
Stealing 11/11/2003 01:38 PM CST
Ok, aside from putting things in the bin, how else can I get my bonus up? I keep getting caught stealing things I used to take with my eyes closed.

--Raydell et al.

"Well folks, you know what that means... now I'll do a dance."
Re: Stealing 11/11/2003 02:13 PM CST
if you're still wanted, turn yourself in. Then wait a bit and try again.

~Bre

"Let them hate, so long as they fear"
Lucius Accius (170 BC- 86 BC)
Stealing from the hidden 07/13/2004 03:20 PM CDT
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but, since we're coming around to be able to act on those we see hidden, I think we should also be able to steal from those that we see hide or hidden.
Re: Stealing from the hidden 07/13/2004 03:43 PM CDT
last I knew that was part of the plan, and when that goes live, you can bet that the thieves guild will get a little more respect where its due when some snert wants to start something and hide.

~Deuce~

~The Ever Cynical Elec

~TEH Zombie Ninja Monkey Pirate

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:07 PM CDT
ok, whats the best, safest and easiest way to learn stealing.. i have tried thief guild it works ok but cant get past pondering.. shops in crossing, but i get cought alot..

so whats the best way?
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:14 PM CDT
guild and classes in the guild untill you get...what?....60 ranks? then start pilfering mall cheap stuff.....and yes you will get cought alot...

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:15 PM CDT
Depends on how much stealing you have. Player stealing is on a timer, so you can only learn once from a person every minute or so. With enough people in the Haven, just cycle through them all, you'll learn. Next easiest would be our friendly face in Crossings... he won't turn you in if he catches you... just listen to what he says if he does. After that is pilfering. Easiest item in Crossings is by far a sirese flower from the cleric shop, followed by envelopes from the general store. Start small, and see what you can get. Be prepared to get caught though, and have money to pay those fines.

I'd say steal in the Haven until about 40-50 ranks, then start on the man on the streets. After 60-80 ranks, you should be able to pilfer alot of things, and you'll also get a nifty ability later on to help. The two easy items I mentioned, envelope and sirese flower, you can get around 30 stealing... everything else takes more skill, however.

Crythis
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:15 PM CDT
since when were malls cheap?
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:20 PM CDT
>since when were malls cheap?

I frickin knew someone you point that out, and I had a feeling it would be your Soim...."small cheap"

And someone record this day..for today Soim made is shortest post ever!

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:26 PM CDT
i have 109 ranks in stealing
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:35 PM CDT
bleh, then pilfer and bin everything you grab.

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:39 PM CDT
>>then pilfer and bin everything you grab<<

bin everything, by putting it into the thiefs bin right?
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 07:41 PM CDT
....yes....

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 08:18 PM CDT
<<And someone record this day..for today Soim made is shortest post ever!

no I made a

"I like beer" post once.
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 08:33 PM CDT
If you want safe, hit up the beggar/sailor. In TF I went to just a little over 150 with the sailor.

-Jeresis
Fear is the mind killer.
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 08:51 PM CDT
Hell I am still held aghast that Soim made fun of someone about a grammar or spelling error. That in and of itself baffles me.

~Deuce~

~The Ever Cynical Elec

You've gained a new rank in backstabbing.

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 08:57 PM CDT
<<Hell I am still held aghast that Soim made fun of someone about a grammar or spelling error. That in and of itself baffles me.

well I did stop. his response was words to the effect of I knew your soim instead of you soim. I'm on a roll today. Even found a typo bug on a trap glance. A extra space in the mana sucker one with the pointy hat look. well it was pointy hat around time of DR II they changed it to pointed hat and there is a extra space in the line. and it was more of a jest on malls and pricing and malls not being cheap. If I commented on the your soim instead of you soim finding it... well then I would have been the hypocritical anal retentive. Though to a degree I am now but only to show I could have and avoided it earlier.

I'm sure this horrific phase will pass soon, some strange brain cell got activated or something.
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 08:58 PM CDT
where the sailor at?
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 08:59 PM CDT
ohhh ya! I remember that, drat..

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 09:00 PM CDT
Let's hope so. if you start acting all grammar literate and stuff, people will think you sold. <G>

~Deuce~

~The Ever Cynical Elec

Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/19/2004 09:04 PM CDT
>where the sailor at?

On one of the moons...gad kids today think they have to have everything handed to them...

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/20/2004 07:36 AM CDT
>>On one of the moons...gad kids today think they have to have everything handed to them...<<

Which moon, and is there a ferry that goes there?
Re: Stealing and how and where to do it? 08/20/2004 08:52 AM CDT
Fred and No

Grins

Thanks

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Redryn at DR-Redryn@Play.net, Senior Board Moderator Emony at DR-Emony@Play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/24/2004 06:02 PM CDT
Hello all, Im new to DR, played since about June of 2004, and I would like to ask a few questions about stealin etiquette and the like.

First off, what should one do when they get caught in someones pockets? This doesnt happen often to me, I always mark, put #5 up, and hide first, but it still does happen. When it does happen, I run like the dickens back to the thief haven, Ive only been killed when Ive been caught once. What Im asking I guess is, is this what everyone does? Should I run to safety? Hide and mock them? Stand my ground and get killed (Im not that great a fighter, esspecially if I dont/cant BS)?

My next question involves empaths. Im not going to say whether or not Ive stolen from them in the past, some people know the answer allready, but I want to know what some of the elder thieves say about it. The arguement against stealing from puffs is usually one of the following: They cant fight you if they catch you, its unfair (I argue that stealing from newbies is unfair in the same sense, they can try, but what can they really do?), next is that Empaths only make money from shifting and tips, they cant make money other ways (I argue then that there are plenty of Moon Mages and Traders who rarely hunt, only make money crafting/selling/whatever and they are not immune), and lastly Empaths are the only healers, dont steal from them because they are the only ones who can save your diein butt if you need it.

My last question is about being a thief itself, or, rather, other people knowing youre a thief. I recently achieved circle 30 (something Im very proud of, since I have had no-one to really guide me save the person who got me into DR, who never played a thief before hand), and it is probably obvious to many that I am a thief. I dont wear my title in the open, but my name is often on the board for pilfering, I wear a lockpick case, and more then a few whom I have robbed have told their friends about me. My question is, should I be worried about it? Many thieves, high circle, and not, are well known as thieves, others arent known to be thieves at all. Im not ashamed of being a thief, but I dont want to be hated wherever I go becuase of it.

In case anyone is wondering, I play Zailen, the human, recently circle 30, Teef.
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/24/2004 11:14 PM CDT
If you are caught stealing from somone, they have the consent to kill you if you dont give the money back...but most people will kill you for even trying to steal...which makes no sense to me. So, lets say they advance on you, and attack...and it just so happens they cant hurt you...you have consent to kill them now...and if you cant kill them..yes, run if you dont feel like dieing...but expect to be turned into the guards after that.

Stealing from empaths is against the guild 'rules' (more of a guideline really) because they cant harm another being (causes empathic shock, they can also lose the ability to heal) and they heal yer sorry arse after being thrashed. empaths also cant enchant things, they cant hunt either, mainly they make money from tips and shifting.

roleplay what you want...I roleplay a mercenary, I wear the mercanery title too. But most people are morons and just jump straight to 'hes a thief!' (I wear my guild ring, to signify I was once a 'thief' and was proud of it) dont know if you know the story about the thief guild being 'found' by the guard. Oh, and wearing a lockpick case means nothing...its just a lockpick case..heh, and to fully answer the question...only be worried if you wear a ring or other guild specific item...we arent supposed to exist, so you will probably get thugged if an older thief see's you showing it

hope that all helps

The mind behind Jostak

I have the power to take everything from you, including your life.

what's lost can be found, what's locked can be opened, what's your's can be mine
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/24/2004 11:18 PM CDT
<<I roleplay a mercenary, I wear the mercanery title too. But most people are morons and just jump straight to 'hes a thief!'>>

If you're caught stealing you're a thief, regardless of guild.

Gizella
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 08:37 AM CDT
<<Stealing from empaths is against the guild 'rules' (more of a guideline really) because they cant harm another being (causes empathic shock, they can also lose the ability to heal) and they heal yer sorry arse after being thrashed. empaths also cant enchant things, they cant hunt either, mainly they make money from tips and shifting.

TWO MISTAKES HERE:

1) Stealing is not against any guilds rules from Empaths.

2) Empaths are not completly helpless. All they have to do is say two little words to the right person for a lifetime of protection. "I DO"

with a marriage even a marriage of convience a empaths or anyone for that matter has a spouse capable and alowed to take on all there fights...
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 11:15 AM CDT
I personnally think that getting caught could be a GREAT time to try your RPing skills!!! When I was younger, and would get caught, I would always follow up with a hug to the victim!!!!
Then I would say something like "Long time no see!! How ya doing buddy? Been a while since we were in Rockies together!!!"
I would always get the response of "I dont know you". I would reply in shock "What?? We didn't hunt together?? I am SOOOO sorry!!!!!I thought I knew you!!!! I thought we hunted in rockies!!! Thats why I stole from you!!! If i was a thief, you wouldn't see me, but as you can see I am a <false guild> and cant steal to save me life!!!! I am SOOOOO Sorry!!!!!!!"
Then I would bow and leave, and I guess some 98% of the time that was enough for me to leave unscathed.

Regarding paths, I chose not to steal from them (Read empaths who have thier empathic title showing, or known empaths), just because I dont believe in healing herbs (old school - we never had them) and I am almost ALWAYS in need of a heal!! I also tip them very well.

B

"Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a man who can't get his pants off."
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 04:03 PM CDT
read my post again soim, I never said they were 'rules'

The mind behind Jostak

what's lost can be found, what's locked can be opened, what's your's can be mine
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 06:34 PM CDT
<<read my post again soim, I never said they were 'rules'
Jostak

OK if you insist... I will cut and pasted again word for word.

Post 222
<<Stealing from empaths is against the guild 'rules'
Jostak

I guess your right... you never said it... You typed it... Or someone else was on your account. But all I can say with accuracy is the same account WATSONA17 typed symbols that closely resemble

"Stealing from empaths is against the guild 'rules' "

so I commented on those mystery symbols of unknown origin...

Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 07:33 PM CDT
I believe he said they are more of a guideline really somewhere, at least I think it was him, cause I remember laughing at that being from pirates of the caribean.

~Deuce~

~The Ever Cynical Elec

Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 07:44 PM CDT
<<I believe he said they are more of a guideline really somewhere, at least I think it was him, cause I remember laughing at that being from pirates of the caribean
Elec

I know he later said that... but the point was he said exactly the other first I copied and pasted then he said he never said that read again and I got to be annoying and a Trixie little halfling... That is a golum referance if you missed it... Being Trixie...
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 07:47 PM CDT
thats why we eats you hobbitses

~Deuce~

~The Ever Cynical Elec

Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 08:57 PM CDT
what is taters? stupid fat hobitses

The mind behind Jostak

Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 10/25/2004 08:58 PM CDT
ugh, couldnt resist the imitation

The mind behind Jostak

Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 02/16/2005 08:28 AM CST
As far as stealing, i only have it because its a requirement for circling...
I have a friend who is a path, and i always pick his pockets.
but were friends.
I would NEVER steal from an empath otherwise.
There have been too many times when i needed one, to ever think of pissing one off.
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 02/17/2005 02:16 AM CST
cmon, when you are posting this...

OK if you insist... I will cut and pasted again word for word.

Post 222
<<Stealing from empaths is against the guild 'rules'
Jostak

you are being deliberatly misleading by posting only half the quote that supports your argument and then putting his name right under it (indicating there was no more in the post)

the actual quote was this...

Stealing from empaths is against the guild 'rules' (more of a guideline really) ..<lots more stuff>...
Jostak

With the fact that the word rules is in quotations, he is indicating that it is not a rule but rather common practice AND he goes on to say in the next 5 words that it is just a guideline, not a rule.

When you have to resort to trying to dissemble and trick people, it becomes obvious that you know that you have no real argument.
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 02/17/2005 03:23 AM CST
The day Kalag tells me not to steal from puffs is the day Ill stop.

Zailen

>Ishtvan whispers, "Bank, you are dead."

>lean order
You lean against a recently-issued order with the words NO LOITERING printed on it in big letters.
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 02/17/2005 10:33 AM CST
The thieves guild allows you to steal from pretty much anyone you want to if you have the skill. The question then, in my mind, seems to be who do i steal from? And that is an individual choice. But remember something a lot of people forget (especially here in America) - there are consequences for your actions. The problem is it seems people want to be able to do things without suffering the consequences of thier actions (see all the lawsuits as an example). If you steal from a Cleric or an Empath, be prepared to deal with the consequences that you may never get healed, raised, or even mems saved. And as long as your happy with that, steal from whomever you want to your hearts content.

B

"Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a man who can't get his pants off."
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 02/17/2005 07:35 PM CST
<<And that is an individual choice. But remember something a lot of people forget (especially here in America) - there are consequences for your actions. The problem is it seems people want to be able to do things without suffering the consequences of thier actions (see all the lawsuits as an example). If you steal from a Cleric or an Empath, be prepared to deal with the consequences that you may never get healed, raised, or even mems saved. And as long as your happy with that, steal from whomever you want to your hearts content.>>

Exxxxxxactly!

~Grinstall
Prev_page Previous 1 3