Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 02/17/2005 09:25 PM CST
personally, i feel it best you do all your stealing from persons in only one city and all your hunting and dying fare away from that city and you'll be fine.

yes, i enjoy taking candy away from babies especially when there are safe guards against it. (ie. close you darn pouches and frequent the bank alot)
Re: Stealing Etiquette, a few questions 02/17/2005 09:44 PM CST
<<and all your hunting and dying fare away from that city and you'll be fine.>>

If you want to rule out hunting everything near that city...

~Grinstall
Stealing release 01/28/2007 06:08 AM CST
Z has me feeling like a drug addict waiting on a paycheck.. I hope Im not the only one.

-Master Ndin
Re: Stealing release 01/28/2007 08:41 AM CST
LOL!! That's the best way to describe it! XD

Happiness stems only from violence. - The Stock
It's like putting a band-aid on cancer. - Philip Anselmo
Stealing in the guild 02/23/2008 06:15 PM CST
I won't include a full log, but I will summarize something that surprised me and made me laugh...

Thieves A, B, and C are in a certain part of the guild making poison. All three are friends; A is me, A and B are upper 30s circle, and C is sub 10th circle and has trouble with 1-stone jugglies.

Thief D walks in, marks thief C, and starts trying to steal from her. Now, normally I leave lowbies alone, especially other Thieves, but he was asking for it trying to steal from her. It's always been open pockets in the guild, after all. So I do this:

R>steal XXXX
You silently work your way toward XXXXXX.
>
Your armor is hindering your abilities.
XXXXXXXX glances over at you as you reach for XXXXXX's pockets.
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into XXXXXX's pockets and carefully grab some ironwood spheres.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

1) Careful stealing from lowbies in the guild, cause someone higher might consider you a lowbie. You might remind them that they can steal from you. I usually follow the "Don't steal from other Thieves" rule, but if you don't you're fair game.
2) I didn't expect to get anything, and I know Thief C didn't have coins, but I learned today that you can, in fact, steal someone's jugglies. Sweet.

It seems the golden rule of "never have coin or gems in the guild" extends to jugglies too.

J>slap lake
Beating up on a poor defenseless lake? For shame
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/23/2008 06:21 PM CST
museum jugglies are stealable from other players. ones from the clown or shops aren't.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/23/2008 06:38 PM CST
I love that about musuem jugglies though I assume its actually a bug
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 09:36 AM CST
Thief D here
Honestly it doesn't bother me that you stole from me.
What put me off was the reaction A and B had to me stealing from C.
I would have made rounds through the entire room, thief C was just the first person in the room description.
However when you two had a minor fit about me trying(notice the word trying since I can actually steal from anyone I am that terrible) I wasn't sure what was going on and decided to leave.

Something that confuses me about your commentary "but he was asking for it trying to steal from her", so because I was using guild mates in the guild to try and train my stealing skill (which I was told was a good idea since I don't get fines that way) I had it coming to me...
Interesting idea.
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 12:06 PM CST
Stealing in the guild is absolutely open, regardless of location within the guild. Now, of course, you will get stolen from back. It was always this way, back to the day when we all sat around the guild upstairs and taught some stole from each other.

Apparently thieves nowadays are snerty.

I mark just about everybody and, cept for empaths, steal from anybody I can. I expect other thieves to do the same to me.

And if you think we are too "lowbie" to be stealing from yas, don't threaten us, how do we know that without the mark in the first place.

If you don't want to be stolen from, as a thief, get yourself to a no steal room and hide there.

Leuc
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 12:30 PM CST
or say steal from my and I kill you. ;-) and then back it up.. hums

Sothios Mori'Taren
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 01:36 PM CST
Stealing from others in the guild (or any players for that matter) will teach you to a very, very low cap; if you're trying to get coins or gems from people who bring them in, then steal. If you're wanting to learn, ask for a class; most of the time if people are sticking around they'll be happy to teach.

Walking in and stealing from the lowest person in the room (even if you didn't know it - for all we know you could have marked and seen that she had no perception, since it doesn't message us) without speaking to anyone just seems like you're hoping for quick coin.

Speaking to fellow thieves is generally a good habit to get into.

Also, minor fit? I think there was an arched eyebrow, and maybe a squint or something similar. If that's a fit I'd hate to see a seizure.

---
J>slap lake
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 01:45 PM CST
You arched an eyebrow, the other thief say 'Hey what are you doing!' or words to that effect and then guarded the third thief.

All that combined togather seems a minor fit from my experience (of 3 days so far)
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 02:39 PM CST
<<<<<Walking in and stealing from the lowest person in the room (even if you didn't know it - for all we know you could have marked and seen that she had no perception, since it doesn't message us) without speaking to anyone just seems like you're hoping for quick coin.>>>>

Spoken like a true rook. Heh. Had you been around for any time in the Old Haven, and maybe you were, but it doesn't sound like it, you'd know we're all fair game in the guild always were. Always will be. Simple answer? Don't bring anything you're afraid will get robbed from you into our guild. It IS a Den of Thieves. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Alley Cat
Bringing "Small Change" to the Den forever, heh
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 03:33 PM CST
<<<Spoken like a true rook. Heh. Had you been around for any time in the Old Haven, and maybe you were, but it doesn't sound like it, you'd know we're all fair game in the guild always were. Always will be. Simple answer? Don't bring anything you're afraid will get robbed from you into our guild. It IS a Den of Thieves. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrr>>>

Actually, I think the only thing stolen in this instance was the other guy's spheres. Only thing I carry into the guild is the occasional open gem pouch, since I don't mind losing those. IIRC, I even mentioned the open pockets policy, possibly more than once. I'd have to go back and read, but I don't feel like reading for you.

This person claims to be a lot newer than he seemed; to us it looked like an already established Thief trying to rob a lowbie Thief. My post was to remind people that yeah, it's okay to steal from newcomers, but don't expect people higher than you to go easy on you if you do. I certainly don't.

Of course if the person really is very new, it's more understandable, but pay attention to what other people are seeing when you do something. Most important thing here: speak a little to your guild brothers and sisters. We aren't there to be training dummies ;)

Of course, it's probably best just to not expect higher circle players to go easy on you anyway, with how things are now.

---
J>slap lake
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/24/2008 09:29 PM CST
when i first joined, as soon as i got done talkin to kalag, nishu and bedemir were there with their hands in my pockets.

when you join a guild of Thieves, EXPECT to be stolen from. <my newbie coins had been deposited in the bank, and i had experienced one death searching for the guild, so i didn't have any coins to be stolen>

really, for anyone that is a thief to complain about being stolen from in the den? lame. The only grounds for complaint would be if it were muddling your mindstate, and ya know what? if it does that, HIDE. <we can't steal from the hidden>.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/25/2008 06:04 PM CST
1. People who throw fits about being stolen from in the Thief guild are dumb.

2. People who throw fits about being marked, ever , are dumb, and should reroll as Paladins.

3. People who make poison in front of people who haven't learned from a guildleader are begging for a visit from Stabby McStabison. If Lorz had seen this happening she would not have stopped at stealing.

You belt out, "Avast! Prepare to be boarded!"
>jump ferry
Gathering up your courage, you take a flying leap toward the other ferry and land on its deck.
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/25/2008 11:09 PM CST
seconded. isn't the new "kitchen" leveled? theres supposed to be a circle req to get into that part of the guild, use it for poison-making, don't be makin it in front of newbies.

Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 12:15 PM CST
Its an unwritten rule that the guild is open game. However it is just that, unwritten. It was always funny to see someone steal from someone in the guild then get stabbed in the face.

Best times I've ever had in this game where when I was gaining my first 100 stealing ranks by sitting around the old crossing guild.
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 05:28 PM CST
I find your post pretty funny, Lorz...

1. No one threw a fit, and how did I react to a lowbie friend being stolen from by someone who I thought was an established Thief? I stole back. Half the reason I posted was cause I found the ability to steal jugglies funny.

2. Uh... where did this come from again? Just throwing that in there, are we?

3. So making poison is consent now? Nice... it's not like we sat their and gave out the recipe. I think I'd rather talk to Thief friends than just sit there and play with a tincture jar all day. Besides, if they really, REALLY want to know, they can just look it up on a website. You think not knowing the recipe is what stops them? Guess again.

It's so strange how all these unwritten rules are tossed out or adhered to on a whim. There are no rules... no there are... no there are not... oh yes there are... I honestly don't care anymore, really. You're free to RP your own way.

---
J>slap lake
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 05:32 PM CST
The main point of your post may have been to comment on the jugglies being stealable, but it sounded more like a mini-snit (emphasis on mini) that a "lowbie" was robbed by another "lowbie." Heh. As for not cooking in front of smaller thieves, well, some of us actually take our "30th circle ability" somewhat seriously, and are already annoyed that a trip to DRSecrets is all one needs do to completely invalidate what in theory is supposed to take 30 circles of work, go figure. I'm on the "no rules" side of the coin, so, do what you want... doesn't matter a wit to me. I'm hardly in the guild anyways, after all, I joined the guild to get the benefit of not being bound by guild rules and what not. Heh

Alley Cat
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 05:43 PM CST
That's the problem with so-called "Guild Secrets"... they're not secret anymore, 'cause some people have slapped them on a website. My character does not go around teaching other people how to make poison, or describing the abilities of the Guild, but if someone sees him using a Slip... so what? Especially for fellow Thieves since, I hope, they'll eventually get to the point that they can use it too.

There's a pretty major difference between chatting with another Thief friend while making poison, and teaching it to outsiders or brewing some up in Willow Walk or the Empath Guild.

---
J>slap lake
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 07:07 PM CST
>>So making poison is consent now? Nice... it's not like we sat their and gave out the recipe. I think I'd rather talk to Thief friends than just sit there and play with a tincture jar all day. Besides, if they really, REALLY want to know, they can just look it up on a website. You think not knowing the recipe is what stops them? Guess again.

Lorz wouldn't have done anything that she needed consent to do, but the fact that you bring consent into this argument first thing is lame.

It's not consent, but it will result in a visit from the Thugs. AKA, Stabby McStabison and his buddies. Although you do get a nifty commemorative black dagger to add to your collection.

Poison is an in-game secret. So are khri. Discussing Thief guild secrets in the game with the uninitiated will garner the displeasure of the Thief guild and has in-game repercussions. That hasn't changed with the new board rules. It hasn't changed because someone slapped the recipe on a website.

So: Guarding someone from being stolen from in the Thief guild certainly counts as throwing a fit, in my opinion. I mean, what? Seriously? It's the Thief guild.

And I see people complaining about being marked all the time so yeah, I threw in number two as a freebie.

>jump ferry
Gathering up your courage, you take a flying leap toward the other ferry and land on its deck.
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 07:30 PM CST
I'd certainly protect someone I'm trying to help along. Maybe I'd protect them because I felt like baiting a fight with the person stealing from them and steal from the person I'm protecting at the same time. I think whether or not you protect someone and why is completely up to you.

That being said, I wouldn't go on the boards and get preachy about it in general terms. It seems almost inappropriate. I think that's what you were getting at anyway Lorz, so I'm not really disagreeing with you.

Personally, I always thought 'the code' was for the weak, and I play my thief that way. Figuring out how to join the thieves guild gets you no quarter from my thief. To each their own.

~Purehand

You feel that for the moment you've learned all you can about harming shopkeepers.
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 07:41 PM CST
<<<Lorz wouldn't have done anything that she needed consent to do, but the fact that you bring consent into this argument first thing is lame.

It's not consent, but it will result in a visit from the Thugs. AKA, Stabby McStabison and his buddies. Although you do get a nifty commemorative black dagger to add to your collection.>>>

Sorry, when I hear stab I think "backstab"... I don't hear about the thugs too often.

<<<Poison is an in-game secret. So are khri. Discussing Thief guild secrets in the game with the uninitiated will garner the displeasure of the Thief guild and has in-game repercussions. That hasn't changed with the new board rules. It hasn't changed because someone slapped the recipe on a website.>>>

And where exactly did I say I was teaching, discussing, or mentioning any thief ability? I was talking with a couple fellow Thieves while getting some boring, time-consuming alchemy out of the way. Oops, sorry, we're super seekrit guild, no one EVER talks with the lower levels about khri, and god FORBID anyone ever use a Thief ability in front of younger members.

Honestly, it's no wonder those sites popped up over the years. If some people had their way new Thieves wouldn't last a week. Scaring players away, either actively or by never giving them a single hint of what's going on, is not what I consider good for the Guild.

I see your argument, Lorz, but you seem to think we were telling this Thief friend of ours how it's done. She asked what we were doing, we said "Alchemy" and didn't elaborate. We were in the Guild's kitchen, for pete's sake. If you don't want lowbies in there, then put a circle limit on it.

---
J>slap lake
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 08:22 PM CST
>>I'd certainly protect someone I'm trying to help along. Maybe I'd protect them because I felt like baiting a fight with the person stealing from them and steal from the person I'm protecting at the same time. I think whether or not you protect someone and why is completely up to you.

Sure, you can guard people, but to me it seems an inflammatory reaction: the best way to actually help the person you're protecting is to tell them not to bring their valuables into the guild, not to guard them. Teach a man to fish, and all that.

So I guess if by guarding someone your aim is not actually to help the guardee but to irritate the Thief, it's an appropriate response. It just doesn't make sense to me in another context. I can't really imagine someone bringing enough coin into the guild to warrant guarding anyway. Which makes the guarding even more confusing at that point. Are you guarding them from learning perception? Heh.

Since we're discussing consent, stealing in the guild isn't consent, for what it's worth:

>"If you walk into a "THIEVES" guild with coins and you plan on keeping it... it should be in a moneybelt. If it isn't... it's fair game. If ya get it stolen, it's yer own fault.

>The young go there to train. It's been like that since day one. They don't need to worry about some head strong older thief, who's had a bad day, removing their head for 2 copper."

Now...

>>Oops, sorry, we're super seekrit guild, no one EVER talks with the lower levels about khri, and god FORBID anyone ever use a Thief ability in front of younger members.

The Thief guild has in-game secrets. I don't care if people want to play characters that do not abide by the Thief code -- the Thief guild has always had all kinds of different members. But if you choose to go that route, you must be prepared to deal with the in-game consequences. That's all.

And yes, I'd say brewing poison in front of someone who doesn't know the recipe is walking a very fine line. Each incident is a unique and beautiful snowflake, so I have no idea if what you were doing would warrant thugging, but yes, your character does belong to a secret society that gets irritated when people do not practice proper discretion. (IE, use common sense.)

You can do whatever you want with your character, you just have to be prepared to start adding to your flat black dagger collection if you decide to be blatant.

>jump ferry
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 08:25 PM CST
Here's the cite for the guild consent thing: http://www.zerodivides.net/thieves/royce72.htm

I know that's really old, but nothing has happened since then to make me think anything has changed.

>jump ferry
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/26/2008 08:44 PM CST
<<The guild is the guild. It's haven for our kind and our practices. Forever shall it remain that way.>>

:-)

Re: Stealing in the guild 02/27/2008 01:26 AM CST
Wow, thanks for that link, I never saw that site before. This site sure brings back memories.
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/27/2008 10:13 AM CST
There is a mimimum you could steal from someone when stealing was changed (if they had less then 1 silver, you couldn't rob them - forgot the exact amount.)

They changed it for thieves so another thief could rob a fellow thief (no minimum) for training purposes.
Re: Stealing in the guild 02/27/2008 05:41 PM CST
Can we get a circle req for the Crossing kitchen?
Re: Stealing in the guild 03/11/2008 10:45 AM CDT
Alright I'm gonna disagree with what the link said because according to policy stealing is consent. Yes it's an unwritten rule that the Guild is an open pockets environment but people have been killed due to stealing from folks. Royce is long past for our guild and I have seen someone reported for murdering someone in the guild after a stealing attempt and the GM said it was consent. I'd like to see an official recent stance by Z to see what the views are now but until then if I tell some idiot to stop stealing from me and he doesn't then they die.

~Terc~

SEND[Caleveth] Good! That makes baby Damaris happy. Now go about your business and kindly try not to kill anyone else today before I'm finished with the paperwork for THIS one.
Re: Stealing in the guild 03/11/2008 10:58 AM CDT
stealing in the guild should not ever be "consent".

there are always options if you really don't want to be stolen from.

that place used to be a perception factory better than the old bank. too bad this is no longer the case. nobody hangs around there anymore.

Re: Stealing in the guild 03/11/2008 11:45 AM CDT
<<stealing in the guild should not ever be "consent". >>

Open pockets in the guild is an unwritten rule, whereas, stealing gives consent is most certainly written.

That being said, it still makes you a jerk to kill someone for stealing in the guild.

I've lived in darkness a long time. Over the years my eyes adjusted until the dark became my world and I could see.
Re: Stealing in the guild 03/11/2008 07:11 PM CDT
>Open pockets in the guild is an unwritten rule, whereas, stealing gives consent is most certainly written.

>That being said, it still makes you a jerk to kill someone for stealing in the guild.

This pretty much verbatim is GM and Policy's stance on it.

-Z
Re: Stealing in the guild 04/09/2008 08:46 PM CDT
I started a thief a long while back and remember a real eary join message for the crossing guild. Like blindfolds, bats, muggings etc. as you get initiated. I got dropped into the guild and immidiately lost all of my coins before I realised the 'intro speech' was done.

Getting robbed in the guild is to be expected and you should be offended if youre not marked and shocked if your coins arent missing.

and i have seen people stabbitied up for poison making infront of lower thieves. its not an ooc secret, it is an ic secret. theres a difference.

to guard as a thief to another thief seems silly. if they cant protect it, they cant have it. it sounds like person A and/or B has some personal protective thing over person C.

That said, cool about stealing jugglies but dont be search a snoot about it. Always a bigger fish, we got it. no pedastools pls thx.
Re: Stealing in the guild 04/23/2008 11:25 PM CDT
Necromancing a thread to call someone a snert and tell them to get off their pedastal seems kinda hypocritical. Additionally...

I am pretty sure I mentioned that the lower circle thief was a friend. If you don't feel the tiniest bit protective of your friends... don't call them friends. Call them tools.

I am also sure I said we weren't telling her the recipe for poison. She knows it OOC already, as does anyone who's ever gotten a Thief to 30th or looked at one of those info sites. RP is what keeps it an IG secret, so please assume for a moment that no one is shouting out what type of herbs are being used or in what ammounts. No one there even said it was poison being being made.

I'm left wondering why you posted. I stopped reading the thread awhile back, but if you're determined to bring it back, I guess we can go back over the stuff in the previous posts.

---
It is physically impossible to lick your elbow.

Most people reading this for the first time just tried to lick their elbows.
Learning Stealing as Noob 04/28/2008 06:18 AM CDT
I now have 22 stealing and can no longer learn from mixing sticks, water and envelops, which have been my target of choice up until now.

I know mark but it seems I can't get an accurate read as to how hard something is to steal, is this because my apprasial is too low?

What should I move on to stealing next? Is there a list or formula published for determining stealing skill needed vs cost?
Re: Learning Stealing as Noob 04/28/2008 09:06 AM CDT
use your mark.. and the stuff you get somewhat certain on, try for.. if that doesn't teach then try what you get at highly uncertain...

Sothios Mori'Taren
Riverhaven Locksmith Union Representative
Stealing, Debt and Coin 04/28/2008 10:20 AM CDT
My debt in Zoluren is getting high. Is there a point that it will get too high and they'll be doing more than just tracking me down at the bank and taking coin from me to cover the debt or is that the worst that will happen?
Re: Stealing, Debt and Coin 04/28/2008 10:58 AM CDT
i'm not sure if they still do it, but in the old days there was a point at which whenever you'd steal from someone, you'd get guys shaking you upside down to pay your debt. It was amusing in the old guild to see Hackard steal from someone.

now i think the system just prevents you from stealing if you have too much debt. It was funnier to see the old system.