1 3 Next Next_page
Stealing From Another Character 05/03/2008 11:49 PM CDT
If you steal from another player (an actual player - not NPC) in Crossing, is it possible to get arrested/caught/accused by any NPC, such as a guard that wanders into the area, or will they ignore that?
Re: Stealing From Another Character 05/04/2008 12:08 AM CDT
The character has to accuse you to the guards in the guardhouse.
Re: Stealing From Another Character 05/04/2008 12:11 AM CDT
<< The character has to accuse you to the guards in the guardhouse.>>

that is not exactly true.

if you steal out in the open with a guard in the room, they will glance over at you , and eventually arrest you.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Stealing From Another Character 05/04/2008 12:27 AM CDT
>>if you steal out in the open with a guard in the room, they will glance over at you , and eventually arrest you.

I've never ever seen this happen, but you learn something new everyday. Heh.
Re: Stealing From Another Character 05/04/2008 05:52 AM CDT
i have NEVER had this happen.Ever. Ever.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Stealing From Another Character 05/04/2008 05:41 PM CDT
Reason i remember this was because it was the first time i was arrested when i first started playing DR. I was training stealing while wandering around with a couple friends. A couple grabs from her pockets, guard looks at me and bam I'm in jail. Of corse justice and steal has changed lots since than.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Stealing From Another Character 05/07/2008 04:30 PM CDT
>Reason i remember this was because it was the first time i was arrested when i first started playing DR. I was training stealing while wandering around with a couple friends. A couple grabs from her pockets, guard looks at me and bam I'm in jail. Of corse justice and steal has changed lots since than.

...or maybe you were already wanted?
Recent Stealing Changes 10/29/2008 02:29 PM CDT
Hey everyone, I'm kinda curious about the stealing changes that have recently taken place. I saw the announcement about catalog shop changes, i understand that, but it seems like all of the traders that i have always robbed blind are now hard for me to steal from. Is there a post somewhere that I can read about whats going on so i'll be able to properly adjust? I have low adept stealing and I'm having trouble yoinking just about everything that i've been stealing since i had 140 ranks. Thanks for any help given.
Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/10/2010 09:55 PM CST
Should'nt we be able to steal from people that we see hiding? There's too many times I see someone hiding and I have to reveal myself to point and it kind of defeats the whole being anonymous thing. Plus if we can attack someone we see hiding why shouldn't we be able to steal from someone we see hiding

Also this was kind of a unique experience that just happened to me

A two mule caravan arrives from the west.
Vanadesse arrives, following the caravan.
>
A rickety caravan arrives from the west, following Vanadesse.
>stalk qua

You slowly work your way toward Quala to follow her silently.

Quala puts her paper in her mink backpack.
>
You notice Vanadesse slip into a hiding place.
>
You move into position to stalk Quala when she moves.
You are convinced that your stalking went unobserved.
>
The two mule caravan moves north.
Quala moves with the two mule caravan.
Unseen, you follow the caravan.
[Northern Trade Road, Deep Forest]
Deobar trees tower over you, their leaves rustling in time with the sounds of the river to the north. Quiet and serene, this part of the forest has a rich scent to it, the overlapping canopy making pools of gloom that collect beneath the trees. You also see a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
Also here: Vanadesse who is hiding, Charismatic Quala.
Obvious paths: north, south.
>
A rickety caravan arrives from the south.
>
[Northern Trade Road, Meadowlands]
The forest to the south is thick and dark, a stark comparison to the open meadow around you. Short, springy grass grows in soft mounds over hillocks and hollows. Tiny white wildflowers peek out amongst the greenery, their petals open to accept the sunlight. You also see a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
Also here: Charismatic Quala.
>
>steal qua coin
You silently work your way toward Quala.
>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Quala's pockets and carefully grab a great deal of bronze, and a few coppers.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

Quala chuckles.
>
Quala says, "Thanks for the perception."
>steal qua coin
>
Quala whispers to your group, "hide"

>steal qua coin
>
Vanadesse comes out of hiding.
>

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Quala's pockets and carefully grab a great deal of bronze, and a few coppers.
>
Vanadesse moves with the two mule caravan.
[Northern Trade Road, Meadowlands]
The land here is open and welcome, the grass thinning on the western horizon as it makes way for a farmstead. Nearby you can hear the babble of a river, and the vegetation shows signs that something, probably cattle, has been here recently to grab a quick snack. The air is clean and sweet, inviting you to take deeper breaths. You also see a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
Also here: Vanadesse, Charismatic Quala.
>
A rickety caravan arrives from the south, following Vanadesse.
>
>steal van coin
You haven't picked something to steal!
>steal qua coin
>
>
You notice Quala slip into a hiding place.
>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Quala's pockets and carefully grab a great deal of bronze, and several coppers.
>
[Northern Trade Road, Farmstead]
Vast, empty fields lie fallow about you. The remains of an abandoned farmhouse dominates your view to the northeast, its doorways gaping, its windows wide open like empty eye sockets. Nearby, a plow lies rusting, its blade sunk a good two feet into dirt whose only future crop will be grass. To the south the land is gradually returning to the meadow it originally was, the edge of creeping green vivid against the bare brown of exposed earth. You also see a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
Also here: Charismatic Quala who is hiding.
>
>point all
You come out of hiding.
You point at Vanadesse, ruining her hiding place.
You point at Quala, ruining her hiding place.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>l
[Northern Trade Road, Farmstead]
Vast, empty fields lie fallow about you. The remains of an abandoned farmhouse dominates your view to the northeast, its doorways gaping, its windows wide open like empty eye sockets. Nearby, a plow lies rusting, its blade sunk a good two feet into dirt whose only future crop will be grass. To the south the land is gradually returning to the meadow it originally was, the edge of creeping green vivid against the bare brown of exposed earth. You also see a rickety caravan with some stuff on it and a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
>hi
>
You follow the caravan.
[Northern Trade Road, Open Grasslands]
The darker colors of the serrated wirgars grasses that grow in this particular part of the plains stand out against their lighter cousins. You catch the scent of sirese on the wind, the fragrance of the tiny wildflower wrapping around you. To the south the land turns a rough brown, shifting abruptly from plains to farming land. You also see a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
Pothon moves with the two mule caravan.
>
>h
>
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>l
The darker colors of the serrated wirgars grasses that grow in this particular part of the plains stand out against their lighter cousins. You catch the scent of sirese on the wind, the fragrance of the tiny wildflower wrapping around you. To the south the land turns a rough brown, shifting abruptly from plains to farming land. You also see a rickety caravan with some stuff on it and a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
>
Blue sky and sweet winds mingle with vibrant greens and yellows to create a place that seems blessed by Hodierna herself. Restless clouds chase each other through the sky, and the blithely cheerful songs of birds create a natural, if chaotic, symphony to be enjoyed by all. You also see a two mule caravan with some stuff on it.
Also here: Charismatic Quala.
Obvious paths: northeast, south.
Vanadesse arrives, following the caravan.
>
>steal qua coin
>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Quala's pockets and carefully grab a great deal of bronze, and several coppers.
>steal van coin
You silently work your way toward Vanadesse.
>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Vanadesse's pockets and carefully grab many silvers.
>
The two mule caravan moves northeast.
[Northern Trade Road, Kaerna Village Outskirts]
The grasslands shimmer slightly, the gentle hand of the wind running its fingers through the plant life. Here and there colorful wildflowers dare to peep their heads up through the endless browns and greens of the plains. Dominating the gentle sighing of the grass can be heard the bustling sounds of the tiny village of Kaerna, surrounded by a wooden town wall which masks the village's graceless sprawl against the northern horizon. You also see a two mule caravan with some stuff on it, a town gate, a weather-beaten sign and an abandoned militia shack.
Obvious paths: southwest.
>
A rickety caravan arrives from the southwest, following Vanadesse.
>
Quala ambles off, looking decidedly tired and ready for rest.
>steal van coin
>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Vanadesse's pockets and carefully grab many silvers.
>steal van coin
>
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Vanadesse's pockets and carefully grab several silvers.
>
>point van
hi
You come out of hiding.
You point at Vanadesse, ruining her hiding place.
>hi
...wait 1 seconds.
hi
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

>steal van coin
Vanadesse just left.
>steal van coin
...wait 1 seconds.
>steal van coin
...wait 1 seconds.
>steal van coin
>
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/10/2010 11:25 PM CST
yes
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/11/2010 04:04 AM CST
Whilst acting on hidden PCs encompasses all the usual CvC verbs including attacks, spells etc, stealing probably will never be included as there has always been a trend towards making PC stealing increasingly difficult/impossible.

There are so many mechanics in place to make it unappealing already. It is now virtually impossible to steal gems since you can't take them from a hand any more and pouches can be perma closed/tied and still filled. Don't let's get started on no steal areas, verbs like WATCH and PROTECT (and of course HIDE), carrying 1000 coppers etc to prevent coin theft. I don't really understand why this is when there have been so many attempts to appease the CvC crowd and stealing from someone is a CvC action with skill checks.
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/11/2010 11:00 AM CST
Don't forget the timer inbetween and how pretty much no matter who you steal from good luck getting past 1/34 from player stealing. I even have trouble with shoplifting unless i wanna dedicate a huge amount of time w/ travel..I know im going off topic but I really hate training it because ill do a crossing area run, leth run, shard run and end up like 30/34 (max) and I can bypass the river to leth (obviously) and travel undergondola. Oh yeah and it has to be daytime in shard. I'm gonna check out P5 pretty soon it just seems like the amount of time spent + risk of jail/fines isn't worth the exp gained at higher levels
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/11/2010 11:23 AM CST
>Oh yeah and it has to be daytime in shard.

Not really. Shard has a lot of shops. Check out the new shops in the arcade, the survival shop, and Marachek's Oak.
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/11/2010 12:04 PM CST
Muspar'i having a bin now helps too.
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/11/2010 09:10 PM CST
I have the survival shop, I'm (pretty) sure the oak has nothign that teaches me..whats the arcade? I have the rest of the shops in shard also but a lot that have really tough stuff to steal close at night
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/11/2010 10:23 PM CST
I think they mean the shops out the south gate.
Re: Stealing from hiders, thoughts and log 03/12/2010 10:47 AM CST
>I think they mean the shops out the south gate.

Yep, that's what we meant.
1 3 Next Next_page