Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 13
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 08:49 AM CDT
I always viewed Kaldar as Nordic in nature for some reason. So, big two handed axes, heavy furs, etc.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 08:59 AM CDT
>>I always viewed Kaldar as Nordic in nature for some reason. So, big two handed axes, heavy furs, etc.

This. I also get a very Nordic feel for them, perhaps mixed with a bit of northern Celtic.

Also, since the Kaldaran symbol is the mist-enshrouded white ironwood tree, I figure that particularly nice pieces made by Kaldaran crafters are made of ironwood. Embellishments I typically think of include knotwork designs and woodland/forest themes, while colors would tend towards earth tones.

Oh, and containers that allow Kaldar to carry Gnomes around. Yeah. Kaldaran Gnomepouch.

-Broichan Leshyahen
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 09:22 AM CDT
> since the Kaldaran symbol is the mist-enshrouded white ironwood tree

That makes me wince every time I see it. It's pretty lame, really.

Like the others said, I see Kaldar as essentially Viking.
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 09:34 AM CDT
++ on the Viking/Nordic theme.

I always figured Kaldar were the armor with the fur/big swords and clubs types, while Gorbesh were the Swedish Death Metal version of the Roman Empire.
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 11:04 AM CDT
I always figured that if Beowulf was from this game, he'd have been a Kaldar.

I agree on the leathers/fur armor suggestions, but I'd also throw in some decent bone and wood, and perhaps even carved stone things.

For weapons, I agree on the big, heavy squishing and chopping stuff. Specifically, in melee I pictured them using a lot of large pole-ranged weapons (over-sized staves, huge axes and clubs and the like), while it feels to me that their ranged weapons of choice would be large thrown items and ridiculously thick longbows.

>>Gorbesh were the Swedish Death Metal version of the Roman Empire.

This makes me laugh. The Gorbesh invasion would have been twice as intense if I had thought to imagine eyeliner and surface piercings on the invaders.
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 11:05 AM CDT
>That makes me wince every time I see it. It's pretty lame, really.

Why? The Norse had Yggdrasil.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 11:19 AM CDT
> Why? The Norse had Yggdrasil.

So we'll make Crossing the Lindisfarne of DragonRealms and the Kaldar uprising will...

Oh right, we think it's dumb to go overboard with emulation.

As a request, Raesh, if we're going to have board suggestions become in-game lore, would you be willing to ask for a Kaldar symbol on the Plat boards so we don't have to go with the silvery white mists of whiteness around the silver-white ironwood white tree of white?
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 11:37 AM CDT
>>As a request, Raesh, if we're going to have board suggestions become in-game lore

I doubt many board suggestions will make the transition directly to IG lore without some editorial control.

>>would you be willing to ask for a Kaldar symbol on the Plat boards so we don't have to go with the silvery white mists of whiteness around the silver-white ironwood white tree of white?

But I kinda like that suggestion!

Wait no... wrong answer...

"So it can end up a silver-white turniptree?"

Wait, no... no...

"We'll see?"

Yeah! That's the right answer.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Kaldar Items 06/30/2011 10:46 PM CDT
My Kaldar barbarian is based on a scottish highlander circa 1600's type character, though I do like the norse image as well.

I also imagine large, two bladed axes, large 2 handed swords, small bucklers, and mostly light armor or the leather/furs variety with possibly a small amount of LC thrown in such as a balaclava.
Re: Kaldar Items 07/01/2011 02:26 AM CDT
I wouldn't get too hung up on which particular nationality you're riffing off of.

Kaldaran culture is rather a blend of many of these, along with some unique aspects. Or at least it will be.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Kaldar Items 07/01/2011 04:41 AM CDT
+1 on the Nordic/Viking vibe.

I think of their weapons as giant swords (bastard swords/claymores/greatswords), war hammers, and halberds/spears. Not so much giant axes for some reason, though those aren't bad.

For armor, I think of chain and leather, padded with furs as others have said.

For clothes, I think of linen and wool mostly, maybe some leather. Pretty plain stuff. Furs and skins, of course. Eyuve wears a snowbeast-pelt cloak in winter, and I found a nice fur-lined sack. I keep wishing for fur-lined boots.

And for other items, yes, ironwood is a big one, both because of the tree (which I like) and also because it seems like a particularly appropriate wood for the Kaldar. Other hard or dark woods are good too. Stone and bone items as well, and metals like iron and steel (not so much silver and gold). For scents, I think of cedar and juniper -- foresty smells.

+1 to Broichan's mention of carvings being knotwork-based, and colors being earth-toned. I also think of carvings as being somewhat tree or branch-based.

Finally, drinking horns seem like a pretty Kaldaran thing to me.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar Items 07/01/2011 08:29 AM CDT
Icesilk of course.
Re: Kaldar Items 07/01/2011 08:56 AM CDT
>Icesilk of course.

I am totally not laughsnorting right now. Promise :D

_______
Want to be a Necromancer? Use this flowchart. Totally Xerasyth approved.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Ysselt/Necroflowchart
Re: Kaldar Items 07/02/2011 07:08 AM CDT
Kaldar, with their "reject the soft cities of the Gorbesh", would be particularly keen on multipurpose weapons I imagine. With a lack of centralized markets, you'd probably see a lot of "I use this axe to chop wood... and ogres, whichever's closest at the time." A utility knife for skinning and carving would also be a key tool to survive. A small bow suitable for maneuvering in the woods and brush while tracking dinner would also be an important piece of equipment. "Light" (leather/bone) armor that's easy to repair in the field might be standard.

Also, I like the symbol. It sure beats icesilk.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Kaldar Items 07/02/2011 08:05 AM CDT
>>With a lack of centralized markets, you'd probably see a lot of "I use this axe to chop wood... and ogres, whichever's closest at the time."

Good food for thought. I agree that there's definitely a nomadic and/or foresty bend to Kaldar. At the same time, I would think they'd take pride in their weaponry and armor, and create some for the sole purpose of war. I mean, if we're thinking of the Vikings as our inspiration. I'd also imagine they must have at least some decently-sized settlements, just not of the scale as the Gorbesh cities.

I do like the idea of prizing utility tools and hunting tools, and (in some cases) lighter armors. I guess I'd just want to add that probably there are different factions, and the ones I picture living in a very wintery/snowy environment I would picture in heavier (chain) type armors.

By the way, I just saw Game of Thrones for the first time, and the Starks are pretty much dead-on what I think of for Kaldar gear. (Omg.)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar Items 07/02/2011 10:17 AM CDT
The first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about icesilk.

ahem

As I was saying, I'm not sure it is entirely fair to assume that Kaldar do without centralized markets. While they rejected the Gorbesh's empire building, that is hardly the same as saying they do not still have cities, settlements, and trade.

Further, it is entirely accurate to say that Kaldar take pride in their arms and armor. While they split from the Gorbesh, they're still a very militant people, and if anything they have a greater emphasis on personal glory -- which would further reinforce the connection to their own arms and armor. Which is not to say that a Kaldar chopping wood would hesitate to plant that same ax in the face of an ogre who happened to need defacification should his proper ogre chopping ax be out of arm's reach.

-Raesh

Re: Kaldar Items 07/02/2011 08:33 PM CDT
>As I was saying, I'm not sure it is entirely fair to assume that Kaldar do without centralized markets. While they rejected the Gorbesh's empire building, that is hardly the same as saying they do not still have cities, settlements, and trade.

Is this information that is coming from a source or your personal interpretation of them? If its from a source that will provide insight to the people that play the race is there a way to become more forthcoming with said data? Given the backpedaling and outright "I Never Said that" Post/facepalm GM experience from the prydaen race I think it would be nice if contradictory opinion was set to rights by actual source rather than "hint hint wink wink" information.

>>It is baffling to me why the GM's do not understand that you can't really RP if the only place you can train is away from the place were you want to RP. Pretty frustrating.
Re: Kaldar Items 07/02/2011 08:55 PM CDT
I think I've been fairly open about the documentation situation with all of you, but I'll recap for those coming to the party late.

With a few very minor exceptions all of the Kaldar documentation falls into three catagories:
1) That which was shared with players (Such as the Albarian timeline and the IG books)
2) That which was proposed by a past Kaldar GM and either still exists in the proposal stage or was lost when they left staff
3) That which I'm in the process of establishing

That's it. There is no hidden stash of GM only documentation on the race right now aside from what I'm in the process of creating.

This has two interesting ramifications. The first is that, of the existing documentation, the odds are that many of you know it better than I do since I've only recently been diving into the Kaldar as opposed to following them for over a decade of development. The second is that the "secret lore" (like what's really going on with the Ten), as well as the general feel and direction of Kaldar development is entirely new ground. I have a good idea where I'm going with most of it, and it will be introduced into the game as soon as its ready and fit into the narrative of the game.

Does this mean I'm going to go against past GM promises, intentionally or not? Yes. I've been clear about that since day one. Hopefully, however, you trust me enough to create a narrative for a race that really needs one as well as document everything behind the scenes so we do not have a repeat of this situation.

-Raesh

Re: Kaldar Items 07/02/2011 10:57 PM CDT
Overall I like the discussion right now.

I feel that the Kaldar are more Survivalists then Militants. Not that they wouldn't be proud of any of their tools. I think as Survivalists, they keep their tools in good order, and care for them. Furthering this, I believe they'd lack some of the finer mining material, but make up with this with finer crafting, and more intricate details, even on base items, if the time, and their skill allowed (which I think would be a personal choice, and a showing off in their community would be pushed for).

Re: Kaldar Items 07/03/2011 06:54 AM CDT
>I'm not sure it is entirely fair to assume that Kaldar do without centralized markets. While they rejected the Gorbesh's empire building, that is hardly the same as saying they do not still have cities, settlements, and trade.

Fair enough. As you point out, it's hard to find concrete stuff sometimes, so I make leaps. Besides it works for Hanryu's "~I'm a Ranger" attitude.

>I do like the idea of prizing utility tools and hunting tools

This is what I was trying to express earlier. Kaldar wouldn't use disposable weapons because, settlements or not, there just wouldn't be an unlimited supply of them out in the woods of Albaria. Furthermore, I'd expect that a while an adventurer class Kaldar might have a prized war axe passed down through generations that he carried into glorious battle, on a day to day basis he'd be carrying, and taking care of, his "work tools". These would be (multi)functional, sturdy, and while well-crafted, wouldn't have a great deal of embellishments. I see this lack of embellishments translating past work tools to the rest Kaldar items. Prized item X would be masterfully crafted, but that craftsmanship would be shown not by the addition of fancy inlay and huge gems, but by the subtle things another master-crafter would recognize and by the way the owner used the tools (actions > pretense).

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Kaldar Items 07/03/2011 09:42 AM CDT
On the topic of embellishments, I don't see the Kaldar's crated work to be without them, but rather only having embellishments that have a significant meaning. I certainly agree that the Kaldar aren't ones to embellish for embellishment's sake, and huge, gaudy gems are rare and considered ostentatious. But traditional designs or carvings/inlay based on patterns that have strong personal (and potentially cultural) meaning are something that would be quite common, at least in things more special than a wood-chopping axe. The beauty of Kaldaran craftsmanship is not so much in the addition of rare gems or metals, but rather in making a simple pieces of ironwood into something that is so detailed and shows so much care in craftsmanship that it could be considered art for that alone.

-Broichan Leshyahen
Re: Kaldar Items 07/03/2011 12:34 PM CDT
>On the topic of embellishments, I don't see the Kaldar's crated work to be without them, but rather only having embellishments that have a significant meaning.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/House_of_Bling

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Kaldar Items 07/05/2011 09:29 AM CDT
So I might have missed it in the first post; but are we talking about traditional Kaldar items, or items that have evolved from being in Kermoria?
Re: Kaldar Items 07/05/2011 11:28 AM CDT
Either.

-Raesh

Kaldar 08/03/2007 10:19 AM CDT
I am a new Kaldar to the Crossing and was wondering how often / if there is any desire for another Kaldar meeting. I am reading over the logs Juason posted and maybe if we get out there and show some Kaldar pride we can get ahead a little and meet other Kaldar, which is a rarity!

At least from reading what little there is out there, and trying to get a feel for the Kaldar, I at least view them as a cross between the Germanic and Celtic peoples of the North.

For me, this influence is seen in the love of the cold, the strong notion of individual honor (although, I might extend this slightly farther out to family honor), and in the statistic attribution. The Havamal at least does not necessarily honor intelligence or wisdom over wit and cunning (hence the charisma bonus and penalty to int and wis), and strength (being a culture that was known for its size, which does lend itself to a certain strength. The Byzantine Emperors used the Varangian Guard for two reasons - honor of the troops [they wouldn't sell you out] and they were big enough to use the bearded axe).

~Solantir
Kaldaran titles 08/29/2007 09:18 PM CDT
Vyusher Hava-Snow wolf
Vyusher Hasona-Winter wolf

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Kaldaran titles 08/29/2007 11:06 PM CDT
Filiokodaz=warblade,
Filinure=warforged

We are all mere shadows and dust.

~Craetos~
Re: Kaldaran titles 08/30/2007 01:14 AM CDT
I know I would like to see some of the old Gorbesh titles. Would be rather easy to backtrack on the old Gorbesh war info to find titles to put in place. The first that comes to mind would be Outrider, but I'm sure there are more that could be found easy.
Re: Kaldaran titles 08/31/2007 10:53 PM CDT
My thought was some of the new Kaldar tribe titles might be available. I don't know if Prime has had the same events that Plat has in regards to revealing more about Kaldar culture.

Earth Born - title granted to high ranking nature oriented clerics. Tribes usually had one Earth Born.

Flight/Talon Leader, Captain, General. - perhaps various titles unlocked with weapons knowledge.

I've heard some more events are in the works. So it'd be cool to have titles drawn from actual Kaldar culture!

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Kaldarn Titles 09/09/2007 09:27 AM CDT
Crosspost based on the discussion in the Pryd folder.

I don't like the new racial language titles, you can skip the rest of the post, which is just a long winded story I wrote over my morning coffee explaining why. There's two stories here.

The most glaring example to me of why I don't like the racial titles is a certain high-level prydaen ranger for whom I have a great deal of respect, both as a player and as Hanryu who frequents Ilithi. He's worn some really kick-ass Ranger titles in the past which have made me quite jealous and pushed me to train harder as a player. More importantly those titles clearly stated to Hanryu in an RP sense, "hey this guy knows his Ranger stuff, and can put an arrow in your hide without you ever seeing it form 400 yards. He's a hunter, he's a survivalist, he's a Ranger." Last time I saw this guy he was wearing one of the new racial titles, and I'll be honest I got none of that "awe of the cool guy" from it, which made me sad. I didn't understand it and it immediately turned me off to it. I've had the same thing happen before with some of the racial empath titles.

Here's story the second. I recently amassed enough Premi Points to pick up a custom title pin. After much deliberation my choices came down to Battle Ranger (a title I've wanted since week 1 of joining DR when I didn't have highlights and misread Battle Rager) and Tloha (Ranger in Gorbesh). I thought long and hard about it, and the release of the Pryd titles made the decision for me. I want my titles to convey something to those that see me run by, and unless you memorize other imaginary languages, it better be in english, or you're hosed for most of the folks out there.

So, I don't want gorbesh-language titles, I want real development for the Kaldar race.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Kaldarn Titles 09/09/2007 01:39 PM CDT
Seeing a lot of the racial titles makes me want to ask the person wearing it "Would you like to buy a vowel?"

-=Dirge. Come for the ossuary. Stay for the ash.=-
Re: Kaldarn Titles 09/22/2007 12:50 AM CDT
the idea of going back and getting titles from the gorbesh war is alright, but heres what i was thinking

for us.... *cough *magic using kaldars cough such as say a warrior mage... i was thinking some titles like this might be handy.
as magic using kaldars are not exactly the norm (who knows why they make awesome warrior mages, sure the mentals are a pain but whatever) these titles will stem as if they are 'out of the norm' since most kaldars look down apon magic i figured a list of titles that reguarded the unwelcome might be in order, these could apply for war mage, ranger, moon mage, paladin, cleric and empath kaldars since we all know thieves dont use magic right ;);)

1. Outsider
2. Irregular
3. Liberal
4. Outlandish
5. Separatist
6. Exile
7. Pariah
8. Transient
9. Demented
10. Peculiar

anyways with the number of titles already out there its slighty difficult to come up with stuff, but from what ive seen all the prydaen titles are straight gibberish so im not impressed.... you get my point.
Re: Kaldarn Titles 09/22/2007 08:53 AM CDT
>>as magic using kaldars are not exactly the norm

Culturally it would appear as though only Kaldar of the highest ranking are allowed to use magic. ie, the Earth-Born. Granted, not a lot of information regarding the Kaldar culture has been made available in Prime, but from the events in Plat it would seem as though magic use, while rare, isn't exactly shunned...

So I don't think it is acceptable to have the titles you mentioned for Kaldar that choose to use magic, assuming many Kaldar leaders use magic. Maybe some more explaination from the GMs is required so we have a better idea where magic use in Kaldar society falls.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Kaldar history: (was Kaldarn Titles) 09/23/2007 10:02 AM CDT
I personally would love to see more history on Kaldars. Tried to get more of the history lesson from the Earth-born when I was around, basically all he told me that I found was important, was that our people where far far south of Crossing. Now this is in Plat. I also would like to understand the god structure more, didn't other races have mention of their own gods?
Re: Kaldar history: (was Kaldarn Titles) 09/23/2007 07:35 PM CDT
Do we have a race guru? And I for one would love to see something, anything in Prime having to do with the kaldars and there history.
Re: Kaldarn Titles 10/30/2007 11:02 PM CDT
<<I want my titles to convey something to those that see me run by, and unless you memorize other imaginary languages, it better be in english, or you're hosed for most of the folks out there.

<<So, I don't want gorbesh-language titles, I want real development for the Kaldar race.

I concur - and I'm a Gorbesh (and linguistics) freak! Gorbesh-language titles would be pure fluff and lovely, but really - the only people who would remotely appreciate them are super-Kaldar-freaks-like-us who actually have read the Gorbesh dictionary (or have a copy of it on their shelf).

Of course - in general - I found most normal titles a little over the top.

--Vyraka--

"Good Judgement comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgement."
Re: Kaldarn Titles 10/31/2007 11:22 AM CDT
<<Vyraka>>

Wow, welcome back.

I guess my PC could be defined as a super-Kaldar/Gorbesh-freak

Define ?real development"

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.
Re: Kaldarn Titles 10/31/2007 02:17 PM CDT
Vyraka,

Serendipity strikes! It seems we've returned to the realms at about the same time.

Send me an e-mail at my play.net address, or IM me at zznjpzz. Been missing/worried about you lately.

Oh and to stay on topic, I don't play any Kaldar or Gorbesh presently, but speaking as another language buff, I agree with making titles English language only.

-Nick
Kaldar/Gnome meeting 01/05/2008 02:28 PM CST
Hi all,

What do you all say holding a monthly Kaldar/Gnome meeting? Here is what I need for you guys to do. Go check out the plat events calendar. Pick three dates which don't conflict with that calendar and times that would work for you on those dates. This will be a monthly thing so don't worry too much about not making this one meeting. I look forward to talking about Kaldar and Gnome development with all of you and making 2008 and good year for both the Kaldar and the Gnomes.

Thanks,
Archimede

Do you fear... death? Do you fear that dark abyss? -Davey Jones

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.
Re: Kaldar/Gnome meeting 01/05/2008 02:42 PM CST
Let's see. Sat Jan 12th, Tuesday Jan 15th or Tuesday Jan 29th would probably work for me. Thanks for your interest in continuing development on the best race!

Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 13