Prev_page Previous 1 3
Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 11:08 AM CST
According to our welcoming speech were just dudes trying to live forever. But going by recent GM posts were cackling crazy mass murderers. Of course what the philosophers themselves say can't excatly be trusted but still, I think something is amiss. It is my understanding that necromancers in general don't trust the gods and want to live forever and will do whatever it takes to achieve their goals. But they don't actually enjoy killing and go around kicking puppies.
Can't my necromancer be someone who's sane (mostly), disinfranchised with the gods, has delusions of grandeur, and wants to live forever? I will do whatever must be done but dont do "bad" deeds when their is no concrete gains. Sort of an Artemis Entreri view on life?

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 11:18 AM CST
>Can't my necromancer be someone who's sane (mostly), disinfranchised with the gods, has delusions of grandeur, and wants to live forever? I will do whatever must be done but dont do "bad" deeds when their is no concrete gains. Sort of an Artemis Entreri view on life?

Oh, you can easily play a sane Philosopher. Its just that Society has been programed to see you as something else, however.

Also, when it comes to sanity, my thought is that a Philosopher's sanity is cracked when He/She first gains the ability to perceive and use Arcana energies. After that it sort of goes downhill, and their actions and the fact that society as a whole is against them probably helps speed that along.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 11:30 AM CST
your sanity pretty much goes out the window during your "initiation".

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 12:24 PM CST
>But going by recent GM posts were cackling crazy mass murderers.

You need new reading glasses if you picked that up.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 12:25 PM CST
When it comes down to it no one can tell you how to RP your character. My only suggestion is that you go back and read what happens after you type JOIN twice (the attunement already mentioned) and then very seriously think about how it would effect you the player if it happened to you. Then after that try and think about how it would effect your character if they were a real person.

"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? " ~ Edgar Allen Poe
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 12:38 PM CST
I, unfortunately, don't have mine available to me, and I blame Windows (not really). Could someone post a log of it with names removed?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 12:46 PM CST
not on these boards, in case there's stuff there we aren't supposed to post -- but i'll post one on DRSECRETS.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 01:35 PM CST
A few points:

1) You're welcome to try to advance in the guild without leaving an Olympic swimming pool filled with corpses, but you're not going to get very far.

2) We have not used the term "cackling crazy" in any part of our descriptions, and have instead referred to the model Necromancer as more along the quiet sociopath line.

3) We have never promised you that the Philosophers' self-assessment is meaningful, or that their take on cosmology is right.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 01:50 PM CST
Thanks for the reply Armifer!

I have no problem leaving a trail of corpses in my wake, I just got the impression that you made it sound like lots of those corpses were for kicks and not to improve our necromantic skills or otherwise gain something from it.

I think someone can be devoid of morale character without being "insane". I guess it goes more to the definition of crazy though. If a sociopath is a fully functional individual that simply has no conscious or regard for life then being a sociopath works for me.

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 02:27 PM CST
>>1) You're welcome to try to advance in the guild without leaving an Olympic swimming pool filled with corpses, but you're not going to get very far.

I'm guessing the difference between this and say warrior mages, is that the corpses are still twitching.

You say, "I don't help your kind"
Necrobaby walks over and kicks you!
Necrobaby says, "Your more my kind than you are yours"
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 02:32 PM CST
>>I'm guessing the difference between this and say warrior mages, is that the corpses are still twitching.

A Warrior Mage of ethics could advance his entire career without actually killing anyone. Players simply don't spend money to play characters with ethics.

There's another distinction I've thought about making to help clarify that Thanatology is a bit "worse" than normal hunting, but I haven't felt compelled to do it yet, and people would still point out that it isn't really that offensive in contrast to the sociopathic madness of a normal PC.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 02:38 PM CST
<<There's another distinction I've thought about making to help clarify that Thanatology is a bit "worse" than normal hunting, but I haven't felt compelled to do it yet>>

you mean besides making empaths curl up in a fetal position and cry? :-)

hey, we're all ears. we'd love to hear this stuff.

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 02:53 PM CST
Spin it this way: A warrior mage is defending his town and hunting for sport. A Necromancer is killing things because he has to.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 03:46 PM CST
Along these lines I came across a deader yesterday while hunting and hadnt decided what to do in that situation yet. Seeing how Im not outed yet and passing myself off as a ranger I dragged to the empaths and split town in a hurry figured it would help keep my cover up.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 04:06 PM CST
>> A Warrior Mage of ethics could advance his entire career without actually killing anyone. Players simply don't spend money to play characters with ethics.

I pointed this out in another folder recently but I'm not sure how many people actually got it. :\

Rev. Reene

<Szrael> Should have just gone for gorbesh again
<Szrael> And released the pirate guild or something
<Szrael> Tote would be an okay pirate
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 04:33 PM CST
>>A warrior mage is defending his town and hunting for sport. A Necromancer is killing things because he has to.

The warrior mage is still a sociopath if he spends all his time killing bawdy swains, however.

You don't necessarily need to avoid having body piles to have ethics though, it just depends what the bodies in the pile are. Who other discussion though.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 05:39 PM CST
> I have no problem leaving a trail of corpses in my wake, I just got the impression that you made it sound like lots of those corpses were for kicks and not to improve our necromantic skills or otherwise gain something from it.

I would love to see where you got that from.

The closest thing I can think of is a philosopher asking you, before sacrificing a woman, "Are YOU worth her life?" while searching immortality/transcendence.

But that's not quite killing for kicks, if you think within their mindset, they genuinely believe that the study of death will lead to completing the Great Work.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 05:46 PM CST
>> But that's not quite killing for kicks, if you think within their mindset, they genuinely believe that the study of death will lead to completing the Great Work.

This does not mean they are not sociopaths.

If someone IRL was discovered with a mass grave with the corpses of 50 people in it and insisted that he was doing it because God told him it would save the world if he did it would you say "oh okay as long as it was for a good reason" or would you lock him up?

Rev. Reene

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 05:48 PM CST
<<If someone IRL was discovered with a mass grave with the corpses of 50 people in it and insisted that he was doing it because God told him it would save the world if he did it would you say "oh okay as long as it was for a good reason" or would you lock him up?

Depends, did he kill them by conjuring fire from his hands or did he do it by yelling so loud that all their hearts exploded?
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 05:51 PM CST
The method doesn't matter.

The fact that you are murdering people is the point. It doesn't matter if you think it's for a good reason, you're still murdering people. Often times in great numbers.

Rev. Reene

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 05:57 PM CST
So, what you're saying is: It doesn't matter how you kill people, or why you kill people. The point is if you kill people your a sociopath, correct?

Why is it you kill so many Necromancers? Nevermind we already established it doesn't matter :-)
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 05:58 PM CST
>> Why is it you kill so many Necromancers?

Because my character is a sociopath.

I thought we established this?

Rev. Reene

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 05:59 PM CST
<<The method doesn't matter.

The fact that you are murdering people is the point. It doesn't matter if you think it's for a good reason, you're still murdering people. Often times in great numbers.

I was flirting with the idea that current day morality doesn't necessarily apply in a world of magic. I'm in agreement with classifying what Necromancers do is ooombugga bugga evil, but to be frank most justifications of it being such oombugga bugga evil aside from it begin so "by design" would be based on a whole heap of "If's and's or but's".

Every guild that can use the combat system to the fullest kills stuff in droves. They peel skin leucros, cut tusks out of peccaries and cut claws off trolls.

The classification of all necromancers of sociopaths rests firmly with the rest of DR society agreeing that necromancy is bad, mmkay? So those engaging in it lack the social conscience furthered by their drive for their own knowledge and gain over that of virtually all else. Thus... sociopath.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:02 PM CST
>> Every guild that can use the combat system to the fullest kills stuff in droves. They peel skin leucros, cut tusks out of peccaries and cut claws off trolls.

Yes... but those aren't people.

As Armifer points out, an ethical Warrior Mage (or Moon Mage, or Barbarian, or what-have-you) can go their entire career without killing anything more intelligent or sentient than a pig or a wolf, which is generally considered acceptable even IRL.

The fact that people choose to hunt louts, swains, thugs etc. (and arguably goblins or orcs, depending on how far you want to take it) simply indicates that people either do not fully understand what their character is doing or do not wish to inconvenience themselves by playing ethical or moral characters, not that it is impossible to do so.

Rev. Reene

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:04 PM CST
One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

jJoey "abs" Stalin
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:05 PM CST
What counts as a person?

Hard to argue that things like the Throne City thugs aren't people.

But what about Orcs, Goblins, etc?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:07 PM CST
I would consider orcs and goblins self-aware and intelligent enough to be considered "people" on at least some level.

I understand not everyone will agree with this, but discussing it at length is probably best done in another folder.

Rev. Reene

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:08 PM CST
>But what about Orcs, Goblins, etc?

My recollection is no, because they lack the freewill to choose good or evil. But that could be from some other game :-D

Same logic for cursed creatures as well, like Faenrae.

-pete
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:12 PM CST
as an aside goblins should totally be a playable race.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:12 PM CST
<<Yes... but those aren't people.

I think in a strange way were in agreement. I'm just quick to push the "BOO!" button on any RL comparisons in a fantasy game. Heck, even in a fantasy game if you DO so choose to use RL comparisons killing virtually everything that takes a swing at you first would be self defense.

A necromancer can use non-people critters to practice than. The classification of necromancers as sociopaths has nothing to do with what they kill but the reasons they do it for. That's really the only point I'm trying to make. We are all sociopaths by virtue of being a necromancer and practicing thanatology. I wouldn't agree you need to be insane in the sense that we're deranged or are lunatics but we're certainly would not be considered of a normal mindset. Hunting excluded, we go against the VERY WELL ACCEPTED NORM that the Gods are in the drivers seat.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:23 PM CST
>an ethical Warrior Mage

I think it's amusing this came up, since this is one of the things I try to RP with my Warrior Mage. Killing beast type creatures only, and not sentient creatures if possible.

I am curious at what point a necromancer is required to kill something other than a beast that an ethical any other guild would kill.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:31 PM CST
Goblins can walk, talk, think, have a social structure and have religion. They are about as far removed from a human character as a Tog or S'kra is.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:34 PM CST
Someone else mentioned it and as I recall they are correct that in prior years it was deemed that the vast majority of other "critters" in the game are sort of outside the moral fibers. The reason it's not considered murder or slaughter to go and kill huge swaths of goblins is, as was pointed out, that they can not make the distinction themselves between good and evil. I believe that they also do not maintain the ability to acquire and keep the gods favor (just like them evil forsaken necros!).
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:36 PM CST
Deemed by who?

I don't remember anything like that at all.

Rev. Reene

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:36 PM CST
As riveting as a discussion as to whether or not Goblins or Trolls are sentient critters is, I am curious to know whether or not Necromancers prefer to practice their thanatological rites on bodies that house consciousnesses. Obviously the fledgling Necromancer will begin their path towards understanding life/death by dissecting and studying any 'ol corpse, but is there a point at which, at least in the RP of the manner, cutting up even the mightiest of war cats won't advance our understanding in a manner that even the lowliest of street thugs will?

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:39 PM CST
An 'Ethical Warrior Mage' is not required to kill anything to circle.

A Necromancer cannot accomplish this feat.

-Z
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:42 PM CST
<<Deemed by who?

No idea. I do recall this discussion minus the necromancer talk being had before. If I had to guess around the time frame it would be shortly after the web move-ish. It was in the neighborhood of 10ish years ago?
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:42 PM CST
The favors thing is sort of a wild card for diagnosing the murderous tendency of PCs. Extremely violent people yes, but in a world where the outcome of that violence is often little more than a trip to an empath or cleric.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:47 PM CST
>> Presuming this is in response to my post

It wasn't. I was replying to the person directly above me saying it was deemed that murdering non-PC humanoids (i.e. critters) was somehow outside everyone's personal sphere of morality.

>> I am curious at what point a necromancer is required to kill something other than a beast that an ethical any other guild would kill.

They really should be forced to somehow.

Rev. Reene

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/14/2010 06:53 PM CST
>>They really should be forced to somehow.

That was my thought.

I'm uncertain if we'll do it (we probably won't), but the idea was to make it so Necromancers must practice Thanatology on a member of the Eleven Races for every rank of Thanatology. It could be a lout for all I care, just the requirement that the Necromancer "bring his knowledge home" by murdering and desecrating a man.

-Armifer
Prev_page Previous 1 3