1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:20 PM CST
>> Aren't Gypsy Marauders human?

Good catch. I believe they are.

I also forgot Bawdy Swain, which are representative of several of the races, I think.

Louts->Crazed Madman->DP Fanatic->Gypsy Marauders / Bawdy Swain->Ruffian/Cutthroat/Thug/etc->Pirate

Both pick up about 100ish IIRC though, which is still nicer than the Ruffians. Still can't find anything from 50-100 though outside of the DP Fanatics.

You wave your hand through the mist of the fountain and rub the wetness between your fingertips.
Rivalin says, "Yep, it's water."
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:26 PM CST
Think about it though, that makes every necromancer have to hunt a single chain of stuff(to train Than anyway). One of the best things about hunting is the variety of areas and creatures.

"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening." ~ Alister Crowley
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:30 PM CST
Darvagers(sp?) are dwarves
Dragon priests are s'kra
Aren't there slavers up in muspar'i?

-pete
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:34 PM CST
>>Think about it though, that makes every necromancer have to hunt a single chain of stuff(to train Than anyway).

It's not about hunting at all. The original thought that sparked this is having a milestone requirement to practice Thanatology on a member of the Eleven races. This might be a single creature before circling.

There was no plan to require thanatology to be trained on the Eleven exclusively. Just a single symbolic carve on one of the races every circle or so to keep progressing.

You wave your hand through the mist of the fountain and rub the wetness between your fingertips.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:37 PM CST
I read it as, it could only be trained on the Eleven.

You say, "I don't help your kind"
Necrobaby walks over and kicks you!
Necrobaby says, "Your more my kind than you are yours"
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:51 PM CST
I am more speaking to Armifer's thought which was that it could only be trained on humanoids (can't remember if he said humanoid or the Eleven, actually).

"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening." ~ Alister Crowley
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:52 PM CST
He didn't say that.

Rev. Reene

<Szrael> Should have just gone for gorbesh again
<Szrael> And released the pirate guild or something
<Szrael> Tote would be an okay pirate
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 08:52 PM CST
>> Aren't there slavers up in muspar'i?

Yeah. There are a lot of them in the upper ranks. I was just taking the lowbie/newbie range from 0-150 for my list. Stuff that would be at issue for newer players.

>> I read it as, it could only be trained on the Eleven.

Hrm. Reading it again, yeah. Besides the bit where he said it wasn't likely, heh; it does say for every rank. Hrm...

If we were required to cut up one of the Eleven each rank, the easiest time would still be from 1st to about 12th circle. After that-ish in ranks, then Madman flesh might stop teaching Thanatology. You can easily pick up from about 25rd circle on with Swains or Marauders, I'd think, all they way up the scale after that.

It's that area from about 15th to 25th circle range in skills (60s-100s) where even a single case of carving flesh from one of the eleven might be difficult. DP Fanatics in Shard have low spawn IIRC, and a very small hunting area.

Ruffians might pick up, but it'd be dangerous to hunt them with only 80 ranks in something.

If it were Eleven only for Thanatology, then I'd be bracing myself for a ton of backtraining and circling once I was able to work up to Swains.

Yeah, there just isn't much in game that exists. Every necro would be on a linear progression, at least through about 100 ranks.

Of course, this also discounts other ways of learning thanatology, so it's all pretty much just academic anyways, heh. Never really thought much about hunting any of the eleven before. Interesting to look at.

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 09:07 PM CST
Armifer didn't specify humanoids; I used the word, and I had been referencing the eleven at the time. After all, all those dirty mobs don't count as people.

I do, however, reiterate that Necromancers should be able to skin all humanoids via a ritual for tanning purposes. I fully support giving the Perverse (and Necro-sympathizers/Prydaen-haters) the rope to hang themselves sufficiently if they so choose.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 09:10 PM CST
>>There was no plan to require thanatology to be trained on the Eleven exclusively. Just a single symbolic carve on one of the races every circle or so to keep progressing.

This is a correct reading of the comment.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 10:50 PM CST
>> Still can't find anything from 50-100 though outside of the DP Fanatics

DP Fanatics have disappeared from Shard.. I assisted about it and after a few check-backs with the GM nobody knows where they went. They have been replaced by the same rock trolls and jackals that are along the path.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 10:57 PM CST
> What? You thought Elven Leather was because it was made by elves?

Don't get on that ship! "To Serve Man"--it's a cookbook!
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 10:58 PM CST
> Yes... but those aren't people.

Mutilating animals is kind of a bad sign too.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/15/2010 11:20 PM CST
>> Mutilating animals is kind of a bad sign too.

Yeah, but the people aspect of it is the one that people hang up on.

My necro had no qualms about joining the guild and was more than happy to dispatch louts, but there was nevertheless a distinct apprehension that accompanied carving a block of their skin off and shoving it into my pack.

I carried around that skin for several days until the thought of the act just sort of got numb. Then I spent quite a lot of time with the madmen. It felt a lot easier hacking up guys that were totally out of their minds. Especially when the stuff in there drives you out of your mind too.

Skinning people is just something you don't do. It's a nice little character aspect that I think would be nice to mandate, at least to a certain degree. I'm guessing the compulsion to carve up, or at the least prepare, people will be the gateway for doubt and will show up later in RP when redemption is released.

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 04:59 AM CST
so far i've kept 1 piece of excellent material <in my vault> from everything I've harvested. I don't know why I keep it. I just do.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 06:19 AM CST
<<Found the message:

<<A cacophonic dissonance spreads through your being, a crack in the edge of your mundane sight widening. Oozing darkness pours through it and floods your senses, as you sense wrongness, something calling to you. With a detached sense of dread, you realize that you're feeling a terrible Hunger, something that was always lurking at the edge of your sight but now making its presence actively known. Though the Hunger dims somewhat, it remains present, as if constantly watching and waiting for you to slip up.

Do you recall what circle that was?
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 09:14 AM CST
>> Mutilating animals is kind of a bad sign too.

> Yeah, but the people aspect of it is the one that people hang up on.

My point is more that even if you don't want to play a "cackling serial killer" and try to avoid it by only mutilating the corpses of animals... well, IRL (or at least on Criminal Minds, what do I look like, a psychiatrist?) a person who does that is very likely to graduate to people.

Meaning yes, there's a moral difference between doing it to an animal and your next-door neighbor, but if a doctor found out you were torturing animals they'd be very concerned.

My feeling is that even if you work from the premise that the Great Work is achievable and worthwhile and you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs, learning the Thanatology skill requires you to do things that are both symptoms and causes of serious mental illness.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 10:08 AM CST
<<Do you recall what circle that was?

5th Circle at that time.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 11:01 AM CST
I think everyone got that message simultaneously. Checking my logs I was first circle when I got it. 12/19.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 11:14 AM CST
I recall getting it very soon after joining.

Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 03:47 PM CST
>>There was no plan to require thanatology to be trained on the Eleven exclusively. Just a single symbolic carve on one of the races every circle or so to keep progressing.

Seems a little lame. It'd be cool to get a quest every once in a while, even if it was just like, "Go bring me some lout material."

Especially if something cool was done with the stuff you collected. Like the guildleader helps you make some sort of little homunculus or something out of the pieces you collect.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/16/2010 05:46 PM CST
<<It'd be cool to get a quest every once in a while, even if it was just like, "Go bring me some lout material.">>

I have to say I'd like to see some further use of the material harvested (which I'm sure is planned), in particular the Necromancers version of FA compendiums. harvesting material from all creatures, preserving it and keeping it in a library of sorts for further study. Perhaps for future use with grafting (if it's still in the plans) or some other Alchemy of the Flesh themed application.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/22/2010 02:50 AM CST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8aBqesEQo8
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/23/2010 01:50 AM CST
The cliffs answer to this thread is: Yes, you have to be a deranged serial killer.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/23/2010 09:26 AM CST
But you can be more Hannibal Lecter, less Charles Manson.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/23/2010 10:35 AM CST
>>But you can be more Hannibal Lecter, less Charles Manson.

We were sadly all out of fava beans and chianti when Sinstra's heart was eaten.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/23/2010 07:51 PM CST
You know, I didn't think that my Necro was a sociopath and the GMs were just crazy. Then I saw an Empath use that heal spell. All I could think was if I could capture her and tie her to a rack, then I could learn all kinds of Thanatology and she could heal herself so I could do it all over again.
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/25/2010 07:55 AM CST
Okay, that made me laugh.

"By Idon's hairy hangnails!"
~Tsinlee
Re: Do I have to be a deranged serial killer? 01/26/2010 11:56 AM CST
<<You know, I didn't think that my Necro was a sociopath and the GMs were just crazy. Then I saw an Empath use that heal spell. All I could think was if I could capture her and tie her to a rack, then I could learn all kinds of Thanatology and she could heal herself so I could do it all over again.

I thought I was the only one! =D
1 3 Next Next_page