1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 03:35 PM CST
A more interesting topic might be WHY necromancy tanks devotion.

Are the gods angry with the cleric, or is there something about necromancy that messes with extra-planar connections.

Now watch someone who's actually try it produce a message than easily answers those questions.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 04:20 PM CST
>Now watch someone who's actually try it produce a message than easily answers those questions.

I used a commune on a Necro. It produced messaging to the effect of 'that was bloody stupid, your devotion is now 0'. Not anything groundbreaking, for either the cleric or the necro.

>It's a big inconvenience.

I have no idea what you consider anything worse than 'an inconvenience', aside from Caramel's suggest of killing, setting skills to 0, and deleting, the character. The GMs aren't going to inflict permanent issues on characters, no 'You're locked out of X for Z years, thanks', which seems to be what you're angling for. Rather than go 'no, you're wrong, that's not nasty at all, it's cake', why not explain what a sufficient penalty would be? Because, again, building devotion from 0 is a days long process of being tied to nothing but devotion rituals. It's not fun, fast, or particularly enjoyable, and has severe drawbacks.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 04:55 PM CST
Plus any spell that requires a ritual , thantalogy in motion. Is only castable by a necromancer.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 06:47 PM CST
>>Plus any spell that requires a ritual , thantalogy in motion. Is only castable by a necromancer.

I would pretty much count consume and devour as thematic as well, but yes.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 09:15 PM CST
I think as a cleric in particular casting necromancer spells should result in the cleric being smited, and unable to resurrect themselves using MF, but thats just me. I see no reason why a cleric should, or would be able to cast necromantic spells without such consequences. Its basically using the gods powers for evil, and the exact opposite of what they were designed for.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 09:30 PM CST
>Its basically using the gods powers for evil, and the exact opposite of what they were designed for.

Technically, there are evil gods. The 13/39 are not the happy cheerful bunch. The dark side guys are really dark. The roles of the gods vs. necromancy is complicated, and not best boiled down to 'good vs. evil'.

>I think as a cleric in particular casting necromancer spells should result in the cleric being smited, and unable to resurrect themselves using MF, but thats just me.

I want to say loss of MF may be an actual effect of something. But you're really not grasping things here. Death and no MF, unless you meant permanently (which is just as likely to happen as you losing, say, all of an entire spellbook, mudmen, and zombies, forever), are...terribly inconsequential. It'll take 5 minutes to come back from a death, even without MF triggering. Death is annoying in that it clears your pools, and that's about it. Devotion is a much more severe loss to clerics.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 10:03 PM CST
I never said permanent, and I never advocated deleting your character or any of Caaramon's lolsuggestions. Don't exaggerate someone's joking absurdity to make your point.

As for what I actually think would be an appropriate punishment, I like the smiting without MF rezz and taking away your favors/devotion idea. That seems appropriate. The gods giveth, the gods taketh away.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 11:26 PM CST
>The dark side guys are really dark. The roles of the gods vs. necromancy is complicated, and not best boiled down to 'good vs. evil'.

Ehhh.... Necromancers aren't just 'evil', they're anti-immortal. There are Immortals that are dark and sinister as hell, but they aren't nodding their heads and giving us a thumbs up for spreading chaos and contagion and zombies, they're horrified and furious that we dare reach for their powers.

It's important, I think, to realize that what we're doing isn't just 'Evil' or 'Bad' or 'twisting your mustachio while you cackle and tie women to caravan tracks', because there are totally Immortals who personify those things. We are pursuing a course that aims to either have as much power as those Immortals, or to remove them from power, and that course is progressed via vile means, and both it's pursuit and it's end point are things the Immortals abhor.

So... A Cleric doing something Necromancer like? It's more like being invited to the Oval Office and taking a dump on the desk while reciting the Communist Manifesto. It has as much to do, mind you, with the antithetical nature of the action in the setting, as it does to the brazen disrespect it shows the man sitting behind the desk.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 07:42 AM CST
>As for what I actually think would be an appropriate punishment, I like the smiting without MF rezz and taking away your favors/devotion idea. That seems appropriate. The gods giveth, the gods taketh away.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. That's not really equitable; losing a single favor in the form of a death, ya, sure, maybe. Direct loss of favors, devotion, death, and other things? Not really reasonable unless a cleric is doing something more intensive than casting a spell. Even a necromantic spell. And this is assuming its one of the actual bad ones, not a little sorcery spell or something.

There's a difference in casting a spell one or twice, and really doing necrotic things. The latter, with a progressive slider of bad stuff happening to clerics as they to down the SC/DO road, I could get behind; as servants of the gods it's a bad idea to work against them and get caught. But a random occasional spell casting? That's like showing up to work late and hungover. Bad, but not 'boss caught you dealing drugs and committing felonies while havig a fling with his wife and being drunk/high' bad.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 07:57 AM CST
<<There's a difference in casting a spell one or twice, and really doing necrotic things.>>

Obviously you haven't played a necromancer. Casting Call from beyond twice gets you forsaken. Why should a cleric be any different?

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 08:41 AM CST
I'm curious why we're discussing the possibility of a Cleric casting a Trans or Animation spell in the first place.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 09:26 AM CST
Oh, Idons Theft?
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 10:25 AM CST
Some posts were hidden

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 11:05 AM CST
If losing your devotion is so inconvenient that you wouldn't want to cast a necro spell anyway, then what do you care if the punishment is more severe? And no, a cleric casting a necro spell is NOT like showing up to work late and hung over. It is the worst possible thing a cleric could ever do short of actually making a zombie. So yeah, I think the gods would be really pissed off about it, not like little slap on the wrist pissed off... More like "you're dead to us until you prove your worthiness again" pissed off.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 11:14 AM CST
>>More like "you're dead to us until you prove your worthiness again" pissed off.

AFAIK, Clerics/Paladins casting things that cause DO already hit them devotion/soul-wise, so isn't this is already the case?

There's nothing the Immortals hate about Necromancers casting Acid Splash, for example, so why would the Immortals care about a Cleric casting it?

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 12:52 PM CST
To me there are two things that should be asked, with this discussion.

Which Necromancer spells are going to be on scrolls?

Which Necromancer spells are the ones that are anti-'the Immortals'?

Just so you know the second one was listed somewhere in the past, and should be relatively easy to find. And realistically to me at least, if those two Cross then yes Holy Magic types should be in for a World of Life and Afterlife smackdown for using them, if they don't then we're more or less talking about things that should definitely have plenty of Social Annoyances or even Outrage over.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 02:28 PM CST
>If losing your devotion is so inconvenient that you wouldn't want to cast a necro spell anyway, then what do you care if the punishment is more severe?

Hey, you know those penalties for having high DO and SO? Ya, we are going to flood those, and give you the worst possible results from the time you join the guild. Cause there's no reason for scale right?

>It is the worst possible thing a cleric could ever do

Ya, no. But I've said my piece.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 02:41 PM CST
I agree that thematically clerics should suffer a little bit so as to make use of Necromancy more painful than useful.

But remember, SO and DO are your guild flaws, and you're a hardcore guild. The other guilds do not play by the same rules and degree of pain for their theme.

I say just make a cleric unable to cast them ("you realize what you are doing and release the spell") plus a small to moderate devotion hit if they actually try to cast it. Keep it around the same pain as a moon mage aligning to thanatology.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 03:08 PM CST
>>Which Necromancer spells are going to be on scrolls?

AFAIK, pretty much all guild spells that aren't "thematic" to the guild are going to be on scrolls. That doesn't explicitly mean everyone will be able to make much use of them for various reasons (can't do the consume ritual, don't know how to reach the plane of probability, no connection to the Immortals, etc), but they'll be there.

>>Which Necromancer spells are the ones that are anti-'the Immortals'?

The only two that are anti Immortals enough to become Forsaken are CFB and SRE, which are probably thematic anyway. The other ones just cause DO, and by my understanding already cause devotional/soul hits for clerics/paladins.

This seems to be a lot to do about nothing.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 03:40 PM CST
>This seems to be a lot to do about nothing.

Seconded. From a Necro standpoint , if you notice a cleric casting arcane , isn't that an opportunity for some , you know , "Interaction"?
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 05:07 PM CST
Tanking Devotion/Soul for casting Necromancer spells is good. Tanking Devotion/Soul & removing X/all favors is even better.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 09:15 PM CST
I'd rather they not be able to cast our spells at all, and that would make more sense. We explode when we try to use holy magic, so why not just make them explode when they try to use arcane magic.

>Hey, you know those penalties for having high DO and SO? Ya, we are going to flood those, and give you the worst possible results from the time you join the guild. Cause there's no reason for scale right?

It's not the same thing, and you know it. Clerics are not necromancers. Clerics serve the gods. Clerics don't get a grace period, or get to dabble in necromancy for a while before the gods get miffed. There is no equivalent on our side. We actually are necromancers.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 09:18 PM CST
>It's not the same thing, and you know it. Clerics are not necromancers. Clerics serve the gods. Clerics don't get a grace period, or get to dabble in necromancy for a while before the gods get miffed. There is no equivalent on our side. We actually are necromancers.

Scale. You continually argue that nothing is 'bad enough' to clerics save insane levels of punishment. You're suggesting Necros max out on DO/SO after one use of mudmen, or similarly goofy things. And you wave off the effects as 'no it's not bad enough, it must be worse'.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 09:23 PM CST
Please, continue arguing for Clerical access to Arcane spells.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/10/2012 10:35 PM CST
Do Clerics already get a devotion hit when casting DO causing spells in Test?

If yes, this is a really dumb argument.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/11/2012 06:15 AM CST
>>Do Clerics already get a devotion hit when casting DO causing spells in Test?

They have it in Prime too.

>>If yes, this is a really dumb argument.

Yup.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/11/2012 12:21 PM CST

>> Please, continue arguing for Clerical access to Arcane spells.

Why would they even want them? Don't clerics basically have the best set of spells in the game? Not really sure how any Arcane spell would help them out.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 01/27/2013 05:53 PM CST

Not to Necro this thread (pun intended [I'm sure that's been used before lol]), but I wanted to weight in on this from a lore standpoint, I'll leave the mechanics up to the GMs and devs.

Necromancers in DR are pretty unique in so far as Science Fiction and Fantasy goes. We aren't your average evil, heck, many of the 13/39 have that covered, and it's perfectly fine to RP a Warmage, barb, etc etc as the most heinous and degenerate person imaginable, and for the most part the Immortals won't really care (I know this has changed a bit in 3.0).

In fact I find a hard time drawing a comparison in other literature. I suppose you could argue we're similar to the worship of the Elder Elemental Eye in D&D (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tharizdun), or the followers of many of Lovecraft's elder evils.

We're messing with cosmic level evil, alien entities, powers outside of space and time. We're talking tentacles people.. lots and lots of tentacles.

The short answer is it's bad, and if you're fuzzy on the whole good bad thing, then just think total protonic reversal bad (Ghostbusters ftw..).

This goes doubly so for Clerics. Clerics, as I know you all are aware, are the literal servants of the Immortals. There is literally no other interpretation of it than that. No matter how you slice it they have an exclusive contract with the Immortals, and the Immortals have taken a VERY firm stance on Necromancy and everything that entails.

If this was my world, and I know its not, just speaking as a long term DM, I'd strip a cleric of his powers till he redeemed himself, or at the very least make him explode like a Necromancer does when he channels holy.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 01/27/2013 06:04 PM CST
>If this was my world, and I know its not, just speaking as a long term DM, I'd strip a cleric of his powers till he redeemed himself, or at the very least make him explode like a Necromancer does when he channels holy.

Uh, channels Arcane?
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 01/27/2013 06:17 PM CST
>>If this was my world, and I know its not, just speaking as a long term DM, I'd strip a cleric of his powers till he redeemed himself

Their devotion tanks. They redeem themselves by getting devotion.

>>or at the very least make him explode like a Necromancer does when he channels holy.

Part of the issue might be from misunderstanding what happens from a "Because Mana Theory says so" point of view versus what happens from a "Because the Immortals say so" point of view and that PCs can't really tell where the line for both is located

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 01/27/2013 06:25 PM CST

Your explanations are awesome as always.

The tanking of devotion is a pretty excellent penalty actually, and fits the Immortals disapproval quite perfectly.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 01/28/2013 01:58 AM CST
<<We're messing with cosmic level evil, alien entities, powers outside of space and time. We're talking tentacles people.. lots and lots of tentacles.>>

its very arguable that Moon Mages do something similar, they just have better PR.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 01/28/2013 02:59 PM CST
Not all of us are "evil", despite what your false gods might say.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 01/28/2013 03:06 PM CST
>>Not all of us are "evil", despite what your false gods might say.

Sadly, The Immortals have better PR.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
1 2 4 Next Next_page