Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 01:29 PM CST
Beyond the initial "hey, you're crazy now!" messaging, there's very little that keeps hammering in the fact that necros are forever damaged goods. Not that I want continual atmos triggering to remind me, but I feel like there's a notable lack of Cthulhuean horror.

IMO, and once again not to shoot myself in the foot, I feel like for a guild based on insanity, every character is completely in control of their facilities except when the player decides for that to not be the case. I feel like it would help stress the guild's entire thematic backing when it comes to arcane attunement causing insanity if there was more stuff stressing the point that didn't come directly from the player in charge.

Just as some examples, I think the abandoned building outside crossing's west gate is amazing when it comes to the game itself pushing insanity upon your character. The way the Moon Mage spell Tenebrous Sense occasionally pulses a message to you is another nice example of players being the opportunity to respond to their characters experiencing something they have little control over, as opposed to players building all that stuff up themselves.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 01:41 PM CST
<Beyond the initial "hey, you're crazy now!" messaging, there's very little that keeps hammering in the fact that necros are forever damaged goods.

I totally agree. I see a lot of players forgetting the initial "you're crazy now!" messaging like invasion scroll.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 03:41 PM CST
> Necromancers are all mass murders

Like Tev pointed out, pretty much any character that hunts is a mass murderer. Necros just study the corpses after. My "good" necro actually avoids hunting humanoids for that reason. I hope that when necros can choose to be a Lich, Redeemed, or Philosopher, that Liches are absolute evil and the other two are more gray area.

>>The process of becoming a necromancer fundamentally breaks you.

>It would be nice to see this bubble up more often time to time.

Maybe it's just because I'm S'kra or observational bias or because I'm higher circle, but I swear I get a 10 second roundtime from my tail being pulled quite often, and other random "you're going crazy" messages too.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 04:41 PM CST
>>Maybe it's just because I'm S'kra or observational bias or because I'm higher circle, but I swear I get a 10 second roundtime from my tail being pulled quite often, and other random "you're going crazy" messages too.

That's an area-based thing S'kra get, not a guild-based thing. While I don't think I'd be thrilled with random roundtimes and so on, it's another nice example of how "you're completely mad!" could work.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 04:43 PM CST
>>That's an area-based thing S'kra get, not a guild-based thing.

And one more reason I'm trying to milk as much as I can from Zombies in Boar clan before being exiled to the islands. That's really just a sucky mechanic.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 04:48 PM CST
>>That's really just a sucky mechanic.

I think it's a great mechanic that needs some kind of... something to make it shift from being obnoxious to an opportunity for character development/roleplay.

The lazy part of me says that removing the RT would do it. People kinda just hate random RTs.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 06:09 PM CST
>perform entry

A giant tentacle arm suddenly burst through your chest , bringing you to near death . You suspect your current vessel can't withstand the Hunger using it to break into this plane. The arm waves while you hear, "Better luck next time".
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 09:54 PM CST
I am not a fan of Necros all being forced to be off the wall insane. I believe Armifer once posted that Necromancer insanities were often subtler, usually displayed as social disorders, and that any one displaying full on insanity after the Tuning were often scrapped for parts. Personally I enjoy my characters own form of insanity as a strict adherence to a byzantine 'moral' code that has the slight chance to pave the way to an immortal society. Oh, and the fact that he kills people and does terrible things to corpses. ;)

Also remember, each Necromancer forever sees the writhing of the Arcane at the corners of their vision.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 10:06 PM CST
>>I am not a fan of Necros all being forced to be off the wall insane.

All Necros being insane does not immediately mean all are off the wall. Maybe one is just your garden variety psychopath, doing whatever he needs to do to prosper, holding no regrets or remorse unless (until) caught, then putting on a show with crocodile tears while spouting apologies and promising redemption.

And others might keep their toenail clippings in a box, and talk to spots of light on the wall. You never can tell...

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 10:10 PM CST
I would think inoperative insanity would distinguish garbage from a keeper.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/06/2012 10:29 PM CST
<<but I swear I get a 10 second roundtime from my tail being pulled quite often>>

that's a mechanic that only happens on M'riss or Mer'kresh. See the library on the island for the lore behind it. <short story, s'kra consider the island to be haunted for good reason. The RT is annoying>

Necros seeing "cracks between reality" -

this was more evident during the Lyras invasion, as periodically you would get messages having to do with the hunger, and it calling to you.

Aside from the attunement thing, you also have certain things that happen during the "forsaken" event in which the things that the gods proportately "protected" you from - you see them, but they also see you. Perhaps this sort of thing could be expanded upon.

Anyone going off-the-wall insane during attunement was stated to be disgarded and used for parts. The basic unstated intent is manufacturing a functional sociopath. Keyword being functional.

This doesn't mean that they're "altogether" sane. You have your Hannibals, that collect harvested body parts in their vaults as part of their striving to make the "great work". But they can still walk and chew gum at the same time.

On the other hand, you have adventurers of all stripes <guilds> that kill humanoids without batting an eye.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 12:23 AM CST
>>Beyond the initial "hey, you're crazy now!" messaging, there's very little that keeps hammering in the fact that necros are forever damaged goods

I keep hoping that eventual quest development would help hammer this in, especially for stuff like Risen, Redeemed, Lichdom, etc. We've just been without anything beyond the initiation for the past 3 years, and that's what we really need. Maybe, every few circles, a quest could be demanded of each character to continue circling. Something akin to the initial tuning, or maybe showing progress with the Great Work. Perhaps even performing the attuning on 'new initiates'....
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 03:53 AM CST
... or every 10 circles you have to walk into the Crossing cleric's guild and insult someone's mother. With all your Trans buffs up. = p
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 06:35 AM CST
that sounds more like a perverse guildhall quest than a philosopher quest. But added to the trans buffs, you should also be accompanied by your zombie. Preferably a Rat in HP and wielding a greatsword. :-)

>
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 07:59 AM CST
<<I keep hoping that eventual quest development would help hammer this in, especially for stuff like Risen, Redeemed, Lichdom, etc. We've just been without anything beyond the initiation for the past 3 years, and that's what we really need. Maybe, every few circles, a quest could be demanded of each character to continue circling. Something akin to the initial tuning, or maybe showing progress with the Great Work. Perhaps even performing the attuning on 'new initiates'....

So you're suggesting a quest to circle for no reason other than to gain lore? I don't know how that would fly for modt players, but I think it's kinda cool.

To play Devil Advocate, do you think this lore information might just be better served by producing a book? Some might say, let the people who want the lore go find it, while the people who just want to circle, pick up a magic spell, and move on can do so. I ask because I've hear complaints about some quests that prevent you form circling before.

Mostly I'm asking. How important do you fell is it to include the ideologies of being a necromancer while playing. Do you want a forced set of feedback, which might pigeonhole you somehow. Or do you prefer a system that allows you more customization, at the loss of imersion?

Nikpack
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 09:12 AM CST
>>I am not a fan of Necros all being forced to be off the wall insane. I believe Armifer once posted that Necromancer insanities were often subtler, usually displayed as social disorders, and that any one displaying full on insanity after the Tuning were often scrapped for parts.

I'm all for more subtle quirks being put upon the characters, too.

At the same time, I think there is a notable continual risk of insanity, and I wouldn't be against seeing that, either.

I think part of my issue is that I like the idea of having to overcome obstacles, and when any obstacle relating to "Hey, your Necromancer is bonkers at some level or another" is self-made the legitimacy of "overcoming" that obstacle is kind of diminished. Nothing wrong with goals/milestones/etc, but it's good to have spontaneous events sprung on you at times, too.

Granted, I feel that those spontaneous events that help develop your character outside of what you decide your character to do yourself is something all players should have to deal with time to time, but when it comes to something like "your brain is broken" I feel it stands out even more.

>>Also remember, each Necromancer forever sees the writhing of the Arcane at the corners of their vision.

I think this is part of the issue. I'm not sure that I should have to remember this as much as experience it on an often-enough basis.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 11:00 AM CST
basically, I'd like to see both.

more in-game lore -quests are good, as long as its not an extremely hard syntax puzzle <G>. And an in-guild library where we could read in the guild would be great. 2 or 3 years ago there were issues that came up that GM-Abasha responded to by saying - "well, that will be cleared up once you guys have an in-guild library". Which is great, but... we're still waiting for that response....

<blames 3.0>

>
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 06:28 PM CST
Quests to level may not be the best example; I can see your point. But quests would be awesome reminders, nonetheless. A library would be excellent. The thing the necromancer guild lacks isn't really lore so much as Guild-PC interaction.

On a side note, I still visit the false guild on occasion, just for an external reminder of the character's sadism. Yes, there are still cookies.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/07/2012 06:44 PM CST
Since i saw a bit of you speaking of quests, I seen that Universal Solvent in 3.0 seems to be posted as a scroll spell, I was hoping that maybe this could be changed and it could be a spell that required a quest to receive. Other than that I didn't really put to much thought into it, but maybe it could be located somewhere in or around the new perverse guild hall that will be located somewhere in p4. I just don't like the idea of the spell coming from a scroll.

I could be mistaken and the information on sebeni could be wrong, any thoughts?
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 02:31 AM CST
On a side note, I still visit the false guild on occasion, just for an external reminder of the character's sadism. Yes, there are still cookies.

ooo, yummy. I go down there myself on occasion, the mana is very nice.

<unfortunately, in my instance, i still have to go thru all the stuff, because our fake guild never got invaded>

>
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 11:11 AM CST
> I seen that Universal Solvent in 3.0 seems to be posted as a scroll spell,

It is?? That's kinda messed up. Any of our spells being on scrolls is not good imo, but yeah I agree that usol in particular shouldn't be a scroll spell.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 05:44 PM CST
> Any of our spells being on scrolls is not good imo, but yeah I agree that usol in particular shouldn't be a scroll spell.

The more ways for people to get falsely accused of Necromancy, the better. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if using Arcane spells tainted the user in some detectable way.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 09:18 PM CST
>The more ways for people to get falsely accused of Necromancy, the better. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if using Arcane spells tainted the user in some detectable way.

Has any GM actually said that's the case? Bc it seems that the worst that would happen unless they're casting a DO spell is that they'll get a forbidden practices warrant. If people are given access to our lolhardmode guild spells, there should be severe consequences imo. But as it is, clerics can steal and cast our spells and it's meh, lose devotion, nbd. Blows my mind a bit.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 10:27 PM CST
>clerics can steal and cast our spells and it's meh, lose devotion, nbd.

Is it lose some devotion, or lose all devotion? I think you're underestimating how insanely unfun it is to tank devotion in 3.0, and the time sink to raise it back up to functional levels if you're going to use it to actually circle, since you burn devotion to learn theurgy. Underestimating it by a lot. I managed to trash mine to 0 with a necro experiment, and it turns out you need at least a devotion state of 6/12 (I stopped there) to use it. Takes a long time.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 10:51 PM CST
You're talking about an inconvenience, and yeah, there should be a huge inconvenience for clerics using necro spells, so great. But I'm talking about the logical mind!%#$ of a cleric casting a necro spell without the gods getting seriously pissed off about it. Given how extremely OP cleric abilities are against us, and that generally everything they are is the anti-us, it really doesn't seem appropriate that the worst thing that happens when they use our abilities is an inconvenience.

You could argue that losing devotion is the gods getting pissed off, but that's pretty minor compared to what we deal with. A cleric casting a necro spell should be like an empath attacking someone, only imo it's a much bigger deal. There should be dire consequences.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 11:37 PM CST
It sounds like there are; losing all of their devotion.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 11:42 PM CST
>A cleric casting a necro spell should be like an empath attacking someone, only imo it's a much bigger deal. There should be dire consequences.

Agreed . As counter-intuitive as a Cleric casting Necromancer spells is , there should be Kigot like consequences .
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/08/2012 11:56 PM CST
>> Agreed . As counter-intuitive as a Cleric casting Necromancer spells is , there should be Kigot like consequences .

Casting Holy spells is extra bad for Necros via arm explosion chance... I imagine the same holds for the reverse.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 05:59 AM CST
>But I'm talking about the logical mind!%#$ of a cleric casting a necro spell without the gods getting seriously pissed off about it.

Spell patterns are, to some extent, spell patterns. Now, the big nasty ones are, I agree, candidates for something bigger and nastier to happen to a cleric, because he should probably know better.

>Given how extremely OP cleric abilities are against us

You know, I've never actually seen a Necro get HE'd, and that's about all I could imagine cleric stuff being 'OP' vs. Necros would entail (turning on the 'is it cursed/evil' check for extra damage from holy mana). I didn't think it was even actually turned on. Is it? Cause that's news to me. Or could you explain to me how cleric spells are OP vs. necros? Cause I never PvP.

> it really doesn't seem appropriate that the worst thing that happens when they use our abilities is an inconvenience.

Again, it depends on how much devotion the cleric is losing. If they lose all of it, 0 devotion state locks them out of 90% of their spells, and they have to get back to half or better (I suspect it's higher than half) status in the pool to use any supernatural abilities. And refilling this pool to the top is a process that could take days, if you're in a good location to do it and are willing to do nothing but that. I think you're really underestimating how nasty a tanked devotion can be.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 08:08 AM CST
It's not an if. Actually casting a Necromancer spell will completely remove your devotion. I forget the exact wording when I did it in Test, but it was something along the lines of the Gods really don't like that, no devotion for you.
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 08:25 AM CST
you really get stuck with bad mojo if you cast it as a cleric, I tried it in test with gm-supplied Ivory mask devices. all devotion, and stuff. Although no, it didn't burn my arms off. <although that should, imho, be a consequence if either a paladin or a cleric try to cast a necro spell - after all, the reverse is true. If i even tried to drink aome free booze from Gg, I got my arms blown off as a necro!

However, there's other guilds out there that can use magic as well. I'm not sure what the consequences would be for a WM or MM to cast Necro spells <not in town of course>. I know MMs get some bad mojo when they try to predict on thanatology, to me, casting an actual necromantic spell would be far more severe. The only necromantic spell scroll I've found so far has been K-S. I'm still on the lookout though!

Oddly enough, I seem to find spell scrolls with my barbarian far more than any other of my characters. JUst like I manage to find more boxes with paladins or others that don't train locksmithing as much. :-)

>
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 09:17 AM CST
>I'm not sure what the consequences would be for a WM or MM to cast Necro spells <not in town of course>. I know MMs get some bad mojo when they try to predict on thanatology, to me, casting an actual necromantic spell would be far more severe.

The MM alignment to Thanatology is an issue because thanatology requires a fundamental schism from reality that non-necros cannot comprehend. It's not 'necro stuff bad for MM' any more than any other non cleric guild. And any non-cleric guild casting necro magic just gets SC, as far as I know. There's no lore reason they should have anything else happen, and SC is a penalty enough.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 09:26 AM CST
>>The MM alignment to Thanatology is an issue because thanatology requires a fundamental schism from reality that non-necros cannot comprehend. It's not 'necro stuff bad for MM' any more than any other non cleric guild.

The gist here is correct. Moon Mages have fiddled with necromancy for decades without any dramatic problems. There's something specific to the thanatological link that causes Moon Mages to wig out.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 12:26 PM CST
>>I didn't think it was even actually turned on. Is it?

As someone dinged by Halo, it was at least on in 2.0

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 12:28 PM CST
>>And any non-cleric guild casting necro magic just gets SC, as far as I know. There's no lore reason they should have anything else happen, and SC is a penalty enough.

You might mean DO/DC here, since SO/SC is a bit situation-based.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 02:10 PM CST
>The gist here is correct. Moon Mages have fiddled with necromancy for decades without any dramatic problems. There's something specific to the thanatological link that causes Moon Mages to wig out.

This implies thanatology is, newish, mostly unique to Philosophers, or not something most MM researchers come into contact with.

Would you mind clarifying?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 02:18 PM CST
It's not something that the Moon Mages who practice sorcery come into contact with. The ones who go too far and begin to exercise it... stop being Moon Mages.

With a few noteable exceptions, Thanatology isn't necessary for practicing necromancy-as-a-spell-discipline, in the same sense that there's plenty of Lunar spells that don't require access to the PoP. The deeper mysteries of both have their metaphysical commitments and are deeply incompatible, but nothing stops either side from playing in the shallow end of the pool.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 03:25 PM CST
Yeah, losing all of your devotion sounds like a pain. It's a big inconvenience. But relative to a cleric dabbling in necromancy, which should be the absolute worst thing a cleric can do, it's still really minor. If you actually went into a state of negative devotion and had to do something to redeem yourselves to even get back to zero devotion, that would be a different story. But imo it should be like weeks... Maybe even months. Not days. It should be so severe that no cleric would ever want to do it.

Same goes for paladins. Idk what happens to them when they try to cast a necro spell off a scroll.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 03:31 PM CST
1) Many necro spells are, for all intents and purposes, just sorcery spells that Philosophers decided to lay claim to. They have no connection to divine outrage, at least for now.

2) Spells that cause Divine Outrage for Necros already cause Divine Corruption for everyone else, which has all the things necros get connected to it, including Social Outrage/Corruption. It would be interesting if non-Necromancers could be at higher risk for an accusal of Forbidden Practices while under the effects of Divine Corruption, though.

3) Spells that cause someone to become Forsaken, mainly CFB and SRE, are most likely (read: definitely) signature spells for the Necromancer guild, which in turn means non-Necromancers can't learn them from a scroll, anyway. So any discussion about what would happen if a Cleric/Paladin/anyone-not-a-Necromancer cast those spells is strictly conceptual, theoretically, and fun-lore-facts.

Re: Moved Discussion - Good Necromancers 12/09/2012 03:33 PM CST
I say those spells should kill them. No wait, kill them and steal all their favors. No wait, kill them, steal all their favors, and set all skills to 0. Ohh, and the gods destroy their inventory completely.

Gods can be angry, right?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance