Prev_page Previous 1 3
The Old Man 12/02/2009 11:59 PM CST
The Old Man; the spiritual guide of the damned. While most Necromancers (and related creatures) are vulgar and direct in the extreme, the Old Man represents an infuriatingly hard to trace influence on necromancy starting in the decades prior to the Hounds' first purge.

While it'd overstate the point to say there are facts about the Old Man, there are commonly held beliefs about him.

First, the Old Man is real. A real what is a subject for debate, but there's little belief that he's mythological or some excessively used metaphor. Enough Necromancers from different backgrounds have interacted with the Old Man to confirm that there is, actually, an entity of some kind called the Old Man.

Second, the Old Man only appears to interact with Necromancers. Some stories suggest normal people can't even see him, while others simply paint him as so seemingly generic and harmless that nobody else pays him any mind. Whichever is the case, there is no known case where the Old Man has talked to anyone other than a Necromancer -- all knowledge of the Old Man outside their circles is second hand.

Third, the Old Man is protected. Exactly how and where that power comes from is, once again, a matter of debate. People have tried to kill the Old Man, but it doesn't work. People have tried to capture or coerce him, and he simply walks away (one story says he "walked away" from inside a locked cell... leaving the cell still locked). Specifics vary, but they all agree on the idea that there is something obnoxiously sacrosanct about him.

Fourth, the Old Man knows a lot about necromancy. A lot about it. Stories vary over whether or not he performs necromancy, but there's wide agreement that he has tremendous conceptual knowledge about it. Some stories suggest this extends to knowing uncomfortable personal information about individual Necromancers, too.

Leading into number five, that the Old Man doesn't really do much with it, at least in a practical way. The Old Man is widely depicted as looking like a poor farmer, and the guidance he gives is the sort of personal and spiritual issues that normal people tend to use priests for. There's a few claims that Necromancers have learned an awesome spell or terrible rite from the Old Man, but far more widely held is the belief that the Old Man's gifts and lessons are always geared toward bringing to light an insight into the Necromancer's situation or self.

Finally, the Old Man appears to be ageless. Or, at least, he is a seeming Human that was already being called "the Old Man" over a hundred years ago.

Taken all together, there are three popular theories which try to explain what the Old Man is.

1) Voice of the Hegemony:
The Old Man is a servant of the gods. The Old Man is a spirit of the gods. The Old Man is a god. The Old Man is an Empath. The Old Man is a super-powered uber Empath with sprinkles.

There's no shortage of permutations to this one, but they all fall into the same mold: the Old Man is the voice of the powers of hegemonic "goodness." He is redemption and forgiveness, the good cop to the myriad bad cops. Most Necromancers who hold this view deride him for it, though the Redeemed have their own bizarre anti-antinomian belief in the Old Man as either a direct prophet of the divine or the wisest among the Redeemed.

2) Your Favorite Necromancer from the Past:
The Old Man is the Fallen Prince. The Old Man is Kigot. The Old Man is Emuin. The Old Man is the first necro-alchemist. The Old Man is Sidhlot with a slouch.

No shortage here, either. If there's any Necromancer on the planet that has a mysterious end, the Old Man's been accused of being him. And sometimes her. Necromancers who follow necromancy for some transcendental end, including the Philosophers, have a tendency to view him as the culmination of their work; the Necromancer who clearly "made it."

3) Crazy Dingbat out of Left Field:
Enjoyed among self-styled pragmatists is the idea that the Old Man really isn't anything more than he lets on: possibly a Necromancer, possibly not, but really damn good at pulling people's strings. It'd be by no means the first time some new figure jumped out of left field to become relevant. For those who hold this view, the only thing to fear about the Old Man is the insane amount of influence he seems to hold over people who believe he holds the keys to a great redemptive or transcendent secret.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 12:06 AM CST
>>a super-powered uber Empath with sprinkles

Where do I sign up for sprinkles?

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 12:07 AM CST
I like it, and look forward to possibly interacting with said walking necrobible.

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 12:10 AM CST
how bout The Old Man is.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 02:59 AM CST
Wow, super neat.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 09:14 AM CST
The Old Man = Oracle from Matrix. Hah
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 10:12 AM CST
Thanks for the info Armifer. I've always wondered if all of the lore writing that you do on the board will make it into the game in book form. Have you ever considered making a collected book of short stories or research publications? "Things Worthless Mages Should Avoid" edited by a good-for-nothing student with a foreword by Kssarh or "The Collected Great Work: I" by Zamidren Book?

- T
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 10:16 AM CST
We've been informed already that we will learn more about the old man during the redeemed quest. What exactly that means in the contexts mentioned clearly can't be extrapolated with perfect accuracy, but under that information, my guess would be that belief one is the most correct, though #1 and #2 could quite easily be coupled. The old man is some major necromancer from the past who achieved redemption and as a part of his penance is to help other find the path back to the light. No reason for it to necessarily be #1 OR #2. #3 just seems unlikely, though the great thing about it that you never know until you know.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 10:17 AM CST
And yes, that first sentance is a massive run-on.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 12:09 PM CST
>>The Old Man = Oracle from Matrix. Hah

Someone yesterday jokingly said it was Tom Bombadil.

It's an archetype I'm exploiting fairly heavily. Tom Bombadil. The Oracle. Obi-Wan Kenobi. Mr. Miyagi. The wise old master is a pretty common motif in the first movement of a hero's journey. The trick, as always, is in what ways we bend the archetype to be true to its origins but configured in some unexpected way.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 12:59 PM CST
>>Obi-Wan Kenobi

I was thinking Jolee Bindo.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 01:15 PM CST
>>I was thinking Jolee Bindo.

Jealousy leads to anger. Anger leads to necromancy. Necromancy leads to demonic incursions. Demonic incursions lead to daaaaarrrrk siiiiide.

-Armifer
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 01:37 PM CST
I figured the old man was Lanival.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 01:41 PM CST
>>I figured the old man was Lanival.

Necro-Warmie-Cleric-Messiah is, of course, still on the table.

-Armifer
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 02:26 PM CST
Isn't Lanival like a half elf half human half s'kra?

I mean... that sounds like a risen to me.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 03:59 PM CST
i'd figure some sort of old-school lifesculptor/standard guild turned necro.
someone who understands that nature inherently encompasses light and dark.
talks too much to be a god himself, but he might be a consultant to the gods when they need advice on necroly things. does'nt openly preach so not a messiah.

a lobbyist to keep the balance of nature in check, a gate-keeper between redemption and damnation.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 04:54 PM CST
Newp, the old man wanders the desert and is Jim Morrison from the doors. He is always accompanied by a indian type of fellow wearing a thong and speaks in riddles...............or yoda.

Maybe he's not so much anything but what the the necromancer needs him to be at the time. The human/old man is merely a form that people will understand. He's all the things mentioned in previous posts and yet none of them. He's the power that the other necromancers need to bring about a regathering, but he doesn't really want to have anything to do with it because necromancers, in history seem to become corrupt and forsake the true path of what it means and what it could do. He is necromancy in it's purest form...........yata yata yata?

No ranger stands alone.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 05:54 PM CST
<<Isn't Lanival like a half elf half human half s'kra?
I mean... that sounds like a risen to me.>>

whatever else Lanival may have been, he wasn't s'kra.

Was wondering as you said the old man had had interactions with necromancers of the past, what if any intereactions he might have had with

Dzree and the DragonPriests?
Lasarhhtha ?

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 07:40 PM CST
I'm afraid of this old man playing knick knack on my knee :(

-Strk
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 07:41 PM CST
>Newp, the old man wanders the desert and is Jim Morrison from the doors. He is always accompanied by a indian type of fellow wearing a thong and speaks in riddles.

hahahahhahahahahhha sorry for double post but lol

-Strk
Re: The Old Man 12/03/2009 11:54 PM CST
You're all wrong, the Old man is really the only survivor from the GS3/DR merge/armageddon. Ask him about GEMSTONE sometime.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: The Old Man 12/04/2009 02:36 AM CST
Has anyone asked the corpse about the old man yet?
Re: The Old Man 12/04/2009 05:37 AM CST
yes. no response.

As I'm definately curious, I'll have to have at least one of my necromancers go redeemed.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: The Old Man 12/04/2009 01:46 PM CST
found the old man, he's hanging out in jadewater. :D

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: The Old Man 12/06/2009 03:16 PM CST
The Old Man Abides

"I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child, well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food.."
Re: The Old Man 12/06/2009 07:12 PM CST
Hm, I'd say he's more of The Stranger than The Dude. But then, who would be The Dude? Book?
Re: The Old Man 12/06/2009 07:23 PM CST
more importantly, which one is Hudson Hawk?

-Evran
Re: The Old Man 12/06/2009 07:25 PM CST
I like how the visions of the two opposite facing cliffs imply that the old man in fact had to walk uphill in the snow both ways

-Strk
Re: The Old Man 12/06/2009 07:25 PM CST
edit: and heeeee LIKED IT

-Strk
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 03:20 PM CST
The Old Man is the All-God. The inclusion of everything before being split up into concievable parts that we as mere mortals can better understand with our limited conceptibilities.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 03:41 PM CST
>>The Old Man is the All-God.

I thought (read hoped) that the All-God stuff was long since over and forgotten.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 03:45 PM CST
>>The Old Man is the All-God. The inclusion of everything before being split up into concievable parts that we as mere mortals can better understand with our limited conceptibilities.

Seeing that necromancers don't respect the gods I would think that the Old Man is not all gods rolled into a ball. That's silly, even for me.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 03:51 PM CST
The old man is a Shard of Adonalsium.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 04:14 PM CST
The Old Man is Solomon, duh. The very embodiment of everything DragonRealms.

>bluff silv
You realize you have no idea how to bluff an unintelligent beast like the Leader Silvyrfrost.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 04:21 PM CST
>>The Old Man is the All-God

The Old Man is the All-God, rules of the Multiverse, who established the dharma on this plane.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 04:37 PM CST
>>The Old Man is Solomon, duh. The very embodiment of everything DragonRealms.

Close. The Old Man is his avatar, the hippo thing.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 05:05 PM CST
>> I thought (read hoped) that the All-God stuff was long since over and forgotten.

Eh, I don't see what's wrong with the All-God thing. It's a perfectly valid theory.

Rev. Reene

"I used to appreciate these stars just for their beautiful form, but now I can't help a twinge of feeling that it is uncannily like looking down the barrel of a rifle." - Peter Tuthill
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 05:44 PM CST
>>Eh, I don't see what's wrong with the All-God thing. It's a perfectly valid theory.

Granted. The people that preached it were quite obnoxious. That's just my point of view, I suppose a religious zealot is a perfectly reasonable RP though. No sarcasm.
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 05:47 PM CST
Well I confess monotheism is a little bizarre in our setting, but given the lorewonky explanations about it, it's not too farfetched.

I actually wish I would see more people with theories like that running around. Seems everyone toes to the 13/39 gods line these days.

Then again, Tallis did say/imply the All-God is a heretical belief once, so maybe that's not a good idea.

Rev. Reene

"I used to appreciate these stars just for their beautiful form, but now I can't help a twinge of feeling that it is uncannily like looking down the barrel of a rifle." - Peter Tuthill
Re: The Old Man 12/09/2009 06:08 PM CST
as the all-god theory is also in "the immortals" its an old, old part of the game.

Prev_page Previous 1 3